Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from US Talks. It be debating all the issues and more. It's the panel on the Weekend Collective on US Talks. It be.
Speaker 2: They got cors big as bars, they got rivers of gold, but the windows right through you.
Speaker 1: It's no place for the old.
Speaker 3: When you first in my hand on the cold Christmas Eve, you promise me, Bradley was waiting for me.
Speaker 2: You you were pretty queen off New York City. When in the bout finished spray they sat swinging, singing weeks then pass through the night the line.
Speaker 4: Sing and.
Speaker 2: For Christmas Day and a very good afternoon too you. I'm Tim Beverage. Welcome to the Weekend Collective out, second to last one for the year. This is Saturday, the twenty first of December. In just a moment the panel, by the way, just a note on the Pogues, because I think a week ago I think I bagged the song a bit like, oh yeah, the Pogues and snippies Christmas. Everyone's banging on about it. Then I had a closer listen to it, and I just the production of it and everything. I don't know, maybe I just got into the Christmas spirit. But I actually kind of love the song and I've been flogging it to death ever since I bagged it, so maybe anyway, there we go. Welcome to the show, and an advance, and Merry Christmas to you all. Looking just a bit, a little bit further to the rest of the show. From four o'clock for the One Roof Radio Show, Ed McKnight joins us. He's a resident economist at Op's partners have a chat about getting out the crystal ball and property predictions for the new year on the back of the miserable news we got on the High Fou. High fo sounds like it's some sort of exercise ball, doesn't it. I'm getting the high Foo out, but it's actually just a depressing reporter about the government's books. And then for five o'clock for the Parents Squad, John Cowan joins us and talking about how far do you you know? How far do you let your relatives comment on your child's I don't know how much they've got on their plate their behavior, avoiding conflict at Christmas or do you just hold your breath in and say goodbye and then wait for next Christmas. All that and more will be taking your calls for those hours on eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty, but you can text your feedback anytime, including right now for the panel and to introduce my panelists. We'll get into it. He is a he's an ar restaurateur. He has been an entrepreneur and he's currently busy keeping himself busy with real estate. And his name is Luke Dalla Goode.
Speaker 5: Louk. How are you going great? Weite Helm, very good.
Speaker 3: I've been in the garden today getting out the Christmas potatoes with my son's flatmates and have you a great old time.
Speaker 2: Actually the new potatoes is I think if you can get them ay with a bit of uno buttery mints.
Speaker 3: Beaten, especially out of your own garden too, So these boys know how to garden.
Speaker 2: Haven't been a restaurateur. Are you also quite a good cook or do you do? You sort of hire people to do that, and you've hired people to do that gig for you.
Speaker 5: Oh I love cooking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sort of a pantry. I look at a pantry, whip something up and go from the I've just.
Speaker 2: Thought of it. I'm going to throw another topic into the maxwell thrown at the end because I've got a really hot take on what is a good key we dinner? Say a think about that? Boys? And when I say boys, that's a clue. My next guest is a boy. He's a man. Actually he's fully he's all growing up and he's he's the host of the Nutters Club. He's a psychotherapist and he's a regular panelist with me. Now I think we could say Carle McDonald, yeah, Cura, Yes, good afternoon. How are you doing?
Speaker 4: Oh look, I'm really well. I this is my last work act of the year. Is here? Put the old? Put the old out of office on yesterday about four o'clock and walked out of the office. And that was me.
Speaker 2: Did you literally hang out out of the office sign? What do you have a does it just say out of office?
Speaker 4: Formerly you have some sort of in the old email out of Oh that technological? Sorry I thought you mean you hang a sign on the door?
Speaker 5: Literally, yeah, I post it note on the door.
Speaker 2: Not a good thing to do with your home when you go on holidays.
Speaker 5: No, great are.
Speaker 2: Actually yes, I'm going to save that other topic I've just been brewing, because we'll get into the what I touched on before. I'm not sure how strong you guys are in economics. I sort of griped my teeth a bit. But the report came out from Treasury, the state of the government's books. I think they call it the half the half yearly. Oh, come than out something up to date and update with the word financing there. But anyway, it doesn't look good the government's books. They've got less money to spend because productivity is down, and it's all a bit miserable in a way. My first question would be, Luke, there's a part of me that in this job you think, oh, you know, and if I was looking to get into business, I'd be worried about what this tells us about the amount of money sloshing around. But for many people, they are just thinking, well, as long as they can hang on to my job, I don't really care. Where are you at with this sort of stuff?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's just a lo we're just washing up what the previous government's just overspent. Right, So it's a good time. I believe it's a good time to get into business because it's at an infant stage and things that are going to get better and better and better. We have to realize that things are going to get better and better. We've got to speak positively as well, and sometimes media doesn't speak that positive about things, but we need to start speaking and thinking positive within the New Zealand, within the New Zealand business.
Speaker 2: I think there's some quite famous, famously successful business people who have actually said, the time when everyone's sort of crying into their corn flakes. That's my quote, not theirs, but that's my analogy. Is actually the time to get cracking when there is a recession, that's time to start marshaling and really get planning because when it kicks into action, you're ready. Is that the approach you'd take.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 3: You've got to be a head of the game and you've got to get You've got to get a head of the game. You've got to start now. If you got the money, do it now, get into business because it's only going to get better.
Speaker 2: Quite a big f, isn't it, Kyle, if you've got the money.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: What was your response to that news?
Speaker 4: Oh well, I mean what I start. What I look at, of course, you know, is the way in which the health system in particular but also education has been really struggling this last year. For not just for funding, but I think for morale. It's interesting. I read sort of three columns this week in the in the wonderful paper that is the New Zealand Herald, and they all talked about the various sort of views on the economic situation. Not a single one of them mentioned tax and I think, you know, we talk a lot about how the government is struggling to pay the costs, you know, but fundamentally we look at one side of the balance, which is, you know, how how are we going to reduce costs? But everyone's terrified about bringing up the tea word. Politically, of course, the problem is the government doesn't necessarily have enough income to provide the infrastructure that Cawy want.
Speaker 2: I think this is this is where we get to the sort of classic left right sort of divide on this, isn't it, Because there'd be those who say, you don't tax your way to prosperity. You've got to create the conditions where we can build our productivity.
Speaker 1: Don't.
Speaker 4: But it seems you can get you can tax cut your way to an election, one which I think cynically as part of the problem that you know, buying the electorates is one way to get to win an election. But part of the problem is, you know, we've got a massive infrastructure deficit in this country. When we look at health, when we look at road, and we look at public transport, we've got some issues.
Speaker 5: I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't mind paying more tax if I knew the government was going to spend it correctly right in the right areas, teaching, health, the police, crime, they there, keep it there. I'm haby to pay more and more tax.
Speaker 2: It's actually it's an interesting philosophical thing. But it's a bit like the whole toll roads that some people hate the idea of toll roads. But actually, you know what, most isn't it funny? There was some argument about this. I can't remember where it is. I think it's a wood bill around and they're not going to be paying a toll, but.
Speaker 5: They objected to the top.
Speaker 2: But the funny thing is the cost and petrol for the other road they've been doing. If you paying a two dollars fifty toll, I don't mind paying for those things. But then that's that's a choice, and I think that is it is that con that obvious divide about what should the state be providing just full stop, and what are the things where we actually are like, you know what, I'll pay for that myself. I don't mind. I mean whereabout to you on that?
Speaker 4: Oh look, I'll be fine if I genuinely believe that it was that thought through. I think what happens is we cut taxes to win elections and then have to sort of backfill all of the gaps and funding that are obviously there. Like roads is kind of one of those basics, isn't it that you know? And I think it does sting some people when you feel like, well, you're paying your taxes and then you've got to pay extra for all these other things.
Speaker 5: User pays, user pays. I'm right into it, user pays.
Speaker 2: So if you take how far would you take that? Though? Because I mean, people like Roger Douglas would say he's had a crack at the Act Again. I mean, I think you know all politicians have. Being crack at their former party is nothing new, is it. I think his theory is that better doest to give people more money and let them buy their own health insurance. But the problem is it's a bit like saying give them all more money and they'll do their own retirement, but they don't, and so there is it's trying to find that role where the state just has to go, Look, we have to make sure that there's a blank there's a safety net for everyone. And you know what I mean, where do you draw the line? Do you think we should have more money? And look, if you want to get health care, you go buy your own insurance.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think also in text you go, right, the first two hundred bucks and texts that I pay goes to health The second two hundred dollars a tax goes to police. Oh you'd like to have the choice, Well, no, no, this is your higdred this is where it goes, like this is where my money's going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kyle, Yeah, I think we can only have to look at America to see how well they held user pay system with health goes.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, Actually would I would, just in a Christmas sense, push back against the notion of tax cuts if you're referring to the to the shifting of the tax brackets, because that's only because I'd be totally dishonest if I didn't say, because for years and years the tax.
Speaker 2: Brackets have been where they are and as as inflation creeps in the average way journer pays a higher and higher proportion of their tax, and I one hundred percent thought that that was highly overdue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty hard to take you against that. I agree, but there's lots of other things that could be done. But I'm a bit scared about bringing that capital gainst.
Speaker 5: I might get through it.
Speaker 2: Now here's the thing I mean, I think the capital gains tax is it's not as straightforward, right, and there are a lot of people who think, actually, you know what, I don't necessarily object to it, but it's just in how it's going to be implemented and who it would affect and things like that. That's when the rubber hits the road that everyone's going to have so many different which is why different opinions. But the idea that it's going to cool the real estate market is Frankly, I think I can say bollocks on radio. Oops you just did. Yeah, But it's nonsense because it's a bit like hey, Tim, we're going to give you a pay rise and we're going to pay you a million bucks a year. Do you want to do it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I'm going to be paying more tax on that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Thanks, if money is to be made, who cares? If you're paying tax on it?
Speaker 5: Who cares?
Speaker 4: Loke exactly, who cares?
Speaker 3: If you're gonna make money, you pay text on it. So if you've got fifteen properties and you're making money of it, money out of it, brilliant.
Speaker 5: Good on you.
Speaker 2: Actually on the mood thing, because news we can talk about GDP being down. I think we've touched on that. Let's not get too depressed at Christmas time.
Speaker 5: But actually I've got a little line here, right, Have.
Speaker 2: You got a little line?
Speaker 3: Stay alive through twenty five, then thrive and come alive in twenty six.
Speaker 2: Are you standing for politics?
Speaker 5: No? But I reckon twenty five. Is it's going to be another tough year?
Speaker 2: I think it might be. But did you notice that I managed to continue your ryme? Yep? Anyway. I mean that's the problem is words like recession do make you feel a bit.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: Then I liked what you were saying about you know. Actually we've got to watch how we talk about these things because I think it can become self perpetuating. Right, everybody's being told that everything's going bad, and then everyone puts their check books away, everyone stops spending and actually but self perpetuating. I think the important thing is if you do have a bit of extra money to spare, make sure you get out to the local businesses. Make sure you know, you pop down to the local bars, local cafes. One of the things we always try and do when we're on summer holidays is always try and spend some money in the local community. Make sure you try all the cafes, and you know, go and buy some things from the shops, because that summertime is when people rely on that income.
Speaker 5: Spread the love resolutely.
Speaker 2: Actually, how important is that from it I mean from a psychotherapist point of view, in terms of the way we approach things and the way we define challenges we've got. If you feel it's bad, it's a bit like somebody says, Look, if you think you're losing, you're probably right because your mentality is there. How much can people make a difference to their lives and their general well being simply by the way they approach bad news.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the thing to be careful of is, you know, what's the old saying. You get eleven economists in a room and they'll come up with twelve different opinions to a certain extent. There's a bit of crystal ball gazing with this stuff, isn't there. So actually I think it's about, you know, making sure that you're on top of your own personal circumstance and being sensible about it, but also not buying into the not buying into the pessimism. You know, I think, make good decisions for yourself and if you had a little bit extra to spend, don't feel scared to spend it.
Speaker 2: Actually know. The other thing is, at least the sun will be shining most of the summer. If we're going to be dealing with a recession, hopefully, then you know, at least we've got good weather.
Speaker 4: Beach is a free toom.
Speaker 2: That's the one, just look just before we go to the break. I was surprised by this one. The Easter trading bill doesn't pass, so there's always discussions around, you know, the freedom of choice and things, and retailers want this, they want the ability to trade. There have been examples brought up that you can catch a flight on a New Zealand on Good Friday and Easter and all the shops at the airport are trading, and yet you could cross the street to the mall and they have to be shut, which is a good argument. I can see Luke's absolutely like a He's like a race horse at the gate here. He's ready to burst out. But I don't philosophically, I can't justify keeping the stores closed, except then I go, hang on, who'd want the shops to be happen on Christmas Day?
Speaker 4: Either?
Speaker 2: So we do create these exceptions, and I kind of think, Look, if you're thinking of buying a new couch on Good Friday, you'll go to the shops on Saturday.
Speaker 3: But over to you, Luke, I am all for closing Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day. It's a community day, it's a family day. It's been embracing who you've got, and that's what.
Speaker 5: I'm all for. Can we have a couple of days.
Speaker 3: That we don't have to think about business. I've been in business with thirty five years. Easter Weekend was the one I was looking forward to because I knew I wasn't working.
Speaker 2: I wasn't anticipating that response because you just had this really come on to me, have my say, Whereas Carl's like, I'll speak when I'm ready I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I agree. I mean I think it's too easy to get caught up in everything needed to be open all of the time. I mean, I'm not particular religious, so the religious aspect doesn't It doesn't mean a lot to me, it means a lot to other people. But as you say, their family days, I think the thing to be really thoughtful about is it's often minimum mage workers and the young who end up working on those days. And actually it's very easy for people who don't have to work on those days to decide they should be open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my goodness, I think we sort of all agree. I just can't logically argue for it, except on your on your point about you know, maybe they're just so what if it's a religious festival? Is the reason every and now and again we people take the day off except for the shops at the airport, and which is a weird one. Oh yeah, the garden say something. I love the fact you mentioned that, because it's literally you're doing talk back on Easter Sunday, and you know, top of the list garden centers versus. Anyway, Hey, look we're going to be back. Well, lots more to talk talk about. Tim Beverage. This is the weekend. Collect my guests Luke Dallo and car MacDonald. We'll be back in just a moment. Twenty two past three talks. He'd be all the weather outside is paid for what the fire is so delightful.
Speaker 4: And since we've not pleased to go, let it snow, let it stow, let it snow.
Speaker 2: Man to welcome back to the week and leave the panel. My guess Luke dallow and car m MacDonald. A document that we've given to the guys has a photo of me from my Christmas album. Looks like is this you? I was like, no, this is Dean Martin anyway, but thanks for I think that's a compliment. Thanks Luke anyway. Actually, just before we get into things into our next sort of topic about the minimum wage, there has been a bit of discussion this year, in the last few days about the politician of the year, and everyone's got their favorite. I don't think there is an official politician of the year. Maybe some of the pundits came and they averaged them out and it was Erica stand Kyle. Who's your politician of the year.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm going to be boringly predictive, but mine's Chloe Swabrick. I think she's carried the Green Party pretty much on her own since James Shaw left done with Manema's cancer diagnosis unfortunately, and that's a it's a tough role because not only have you got the members, you've also got them a membership of the party. So yeah, she'd be my she doesn't.
Speaker 2: She does look like the mantle of the leadership is hanging heavily around his shoulders because there was a deafness of touch.
Speaker 5: Terrible.
Speaker 4: Yet he's gone one passed away.
Speaker 5: Sadly.
Speaker 4: It's been a really rough year for them.
Speaker 2: Mind you, they could have probably hastened Darling Tana's except but never mind. Uh Luke, you're Politician of the year.
Speaker 5: Well I'm going Winston Peters.
Speaker 2: But minister racing.
Speaker 3: Minister racing because he's banning greyhound racing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think that is great. We've all been talking about it.
Speaker 3: It's a real mean sport and that's great and he's actually done.
Speaker 4: It green policy too, by the way.
Speaker 2: Actually I was surprised about that because I don't know. You just think, mistery of racing, you're into anything where if it runs and you can bet on it, that then I'm your man. But then suddenly, I mean I did some talk on this, and I've heard from greyhound owners and racers who loved their animals and they were pushing back against it and things. But I think they're up. I don't think they're going to win this one.
Speaker 4: I think it's yeah, I know, I think it was a good move. I mean my understanding is that it can be a bit it can be a bit more cruelman horse racing, and it's also kind of business wise on the dive a bit. So yeah, I agree, good.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm not interesting actually on the greyhounds terrible.
Speaker 2: It's also worth messing. I think as a as a foreign minister, Winston's been on fire. I mean quite a transition from someone who in the campaigning mode I didn't like him at all, and yet you know now he's in the job.
Speaker 4: I think it's hilarious when you listen to him interviewed. Is that there's two Winston's as the New Zealand first leader that turns up and just rips into everything, and then you get the foreign minister and it's all very calm, diplomat mode. I don't know whether he has two modes that he switched if we still.
Speaker 2: Had decent comedy sketch shows, you can probably do a sketch about that. You've had New Zealand first Winston and deputy Prime Minister, and you could interview them both at once. Actually, you will be surprised at my Politician of the Year because I almost disagree with myself, but then I argue why it is, and then I think, no, he has to be Politician of the Year and so not so exciting as choosing Winston. It's luxon and the reason is he himself isn't rocking and rolling in the publicity stakes right and the popularity stakes. But in my view, he has a team of ministers who are all working hard on task and there'll be an argument about with what measure of success. And to me, he's put together that coalition. He got Seymour and Winston talking to each other and they seem to have a even if it's a grudging respect, there seems to be a level of And I was thinking, he's the Prime minister, it's his job to put that team together and have those two political leaders working together, and you know what it is, and I sort of think he has to be Politician of the Year. Even though you're not going to see him, you know, necessarily winning the cuddling baby steaks type of thing. Do I make a case, Guys, here we go.
Speaker 3: I see what you're coming from, because there's actually he's picked those people for those roles and for what he's doing. And then I noticed that most of his interviews, if there's any debate or he just says, my minister is looking after it, which is the best way of doing it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that. I like the fact that the team has become more prominent. Kyle, tell me why I'm wrong? Well, do you great?
Speaker 4: You were entitled to your opinion. I think my concern is that I'm not sure all national voters would necessarily agree because it does feel a bit like act and he's in the first to kind of running the ship at times. So but yeah, look, I mean I guess I will say he's gotten better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, I think if we had a sound effect for a round of applause, well then we would play that right now. But my producer tires too busy daydreaming about Liam Lawson. Are we going to talk about later on?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 2: By the way, look, we do need to let people know if you're listening, then there has been a widespread power outage in the Hawk's Bay region. Transpowers is a lightning strike has caused the outages. They're working on fixing the issue if you can, if you're in that region and you're still able to hear this announcement, obviously because some won't. We'll have more at the top of the hour on the news and the updout on that. So just to let you know, last sort of mild Well, that wasn't a heavy topic, was it. Politician the year celebrating someone shouldn't be ah, but the minimum wage increase in April, it's only going at one and a half percent, twenty three dollars fifty an hour. There will be those who will say that that's a woeful increase, and there'll be those who say, well, we have one of the highest minimum wage increases minimum wages in the world, the developed world. And I hate to the problem I think we've got just before I throw to you guys, is the minimum wage is not an ideal wage, and it should never be the ideal wage. I think we need to aspire that people are not on the minimum wage that becomes the standard. Kyle, what do you reckon?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I mean, looking at it in isolation, it's tricky, isn't it, Because I mean it's not a living wage. No, And certainly one of my big concerns about things like the minimum wages is a bit like minimum building standards that people aim for them rather than setting a floor. But it's probably much more easy to live on the minimum wage and timuru than it is in Auckland for instance.
Speaker 2: Well so if you're someone fresh out of school on your first job and somebody's giving you a chance, I mean, that's the thing. If you're holding it to be No one can live and buy a house in Auckland on this wage. Well yeah, but I don't know if that's what it's for Luke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just think it's a token gesture to increase the minimum wage.
Speaker 5: That's all it is.
Speaker 3: It's like another fourteen dollars for a forty a week, and what do you do with fourteen dollars? Can you pay your brorge with that? No, it's a token gesture. They should have held all of it and maybe put a double up in the next year or something like that.
Speaker 2: Actually, you think they would have been more meaningful as to say, look, we're not going to mind you. They get a pasting, wouldn't they, So you'd be probably right. It is a token gesture. Yeah, I guess that's all it is. Yeah, okay, moving on. Then we've done the minimum wage. But on the other thing. The other things that are up is domestic flight costs are up something like ten point eight percent in November. This is according to Stats New Zealand. The cost of domestic accommodation. I think that's tourist accommodation rose by six point nine percent. It's apparently related to as well. There's a lot of coincides with performance is by several global artists around New Zealand. Do you think this is a cynical thing that we see these airfes go up? Or I mean I see in New Zealand. I mean it does sound like it's tough to do business. But I kind of do get annoyed when the affairs seem to go up just when everyone wants to fly. But is it supply and demand? Cal We'll go with you.
Speaker 4: I find they're pricing pretty impenetrable. I mean it's a bit like you know, it's pure supply and demand, right, So the closer you get to the time, the more expensive flights become. One of the weird things about New Zealand is it We're so small and there's so little actual competition and so many you know, little flights that you know, it can cost more to fly sort of from here to Napier than it can to fly to christ You Sometimes it's a bit crazy, really. I mean I can understand their business and they've got to make money, but it does smack a bit when you're sort of the New Zealand taxpayers shareholders as well and prop them up through COVID. It sort of does bite, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have a lingering sort of resentment that I might not be able to logically justify, you know, when you're just bloody annoyed.
Speaker 3: I get annoyed with it all the time because I had my son's graduation earlier this year and I booked it like eight months out and it was bloom and high because they worked out that eOne wants to go to a targo, so they put the prices up and it was already I mean, how much do they come?
Speaker 2: How much did it cost to to go return?
Speaker 3: Roughly eighteen? Oh yeah, see eight and ten dollars. I mean that's money. There's a lot of money for a whole family to go down.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll be honest. I'm well, I'm always honest on the show, of course. But it's just a nice little sort of a bit of verbal meaningless verbiage. But we're not sure what we're doing for a holiday. When when I finished doing breakfast and we've got about ten days and you look at flying somewhere around the country or going down to ourtown. I love that. I do love that part of the world, even though in the school holidays everyone screws New Zealand families for as much money as they can get, which does cause I'm building some resentment about that.
Speaker 4: Well fair enough, because at the same time we've been told we're not allowed to take our kids out of school anymore.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: Again, We're getting it from both ends, I know.
Speaker 2: And that sounds painful and we're but anyway, I went to I went to the flight center and got them to budget a holiday to go to Australia. And you know what flights wise, I must just go to was he go to Sydney, go to Brisbane and go to Melbourne On New New Zealand. Actually, to be honest, who cares when you go to you know, you look for the reputable lines and just go for the best deal. But it does kind of great, doesn't it? That here to christ Churchen return, Okay, I can imagine that the New Zealand's response as it would be, And I don't want to beat up on them too much because you know they're not exactly creaming. It would be that you've just got to get in early, that's right.
Speaker 3: But also what New Zealand got is nine planes that are on the ground waiting for parts. Yeah, and that's a lot of planes to be on the ground, it is, so that's causing demand as well. And I don't want to use that excuse, but that is we all turn around defending.
Speaker 4: Is as an infrastructure solutioner here of course as well high speed rail Winston get how high railways onto it?
Speaker 2: How high speed are we talking.
Speaker 4: Way four hundred and something kilumitus an hour in Japan? About three hours?
Speaker 2: You can't even get just enormal thake big ten. Actually, I would love imagine New Zealand with high speed two and a half three hours to Wellington Bang. How much would it cost?
Speaker 5: Forty five bucks.
Speaker 4: Bring the capital gains text and cover the whole lot.
Speaker 2: That sounds like you're that sounds like you're standing for the Greens again, Kyle. It's like how much is it going to cost?
Speaker 4: Up how much it will cost to how much value you get from it?
Speaker 2: Like I don't think anyone is a thing would object to that, but we probably need another five or ten million people in New Zealand and then imagine what the property prices will be. Then oh my goodness, Ah, look tell you what. We're going to take a moment and we're going to come back because the big news of which we a lot of us who follow if one, have been waiting for. Liam Lawson has been confirmed as joining Red Bull. It's a huge deal for him, not just as a career, but I think probably the income is slightly above the minimum wage. We'll be back in just a moment, news talks. He b it's twenty three minutes to four, dreaming Harve Christmas, just like the one I used.
Speaker 1: To know.
Speaker 2: Where the tree tim listen and welcome back. Yes that's me, Look, yeah, that's me. My producer's contracts is used to play me once.
Speaker 4: I think I let that run a bit longer.
Speaker 5: I know, I let the.
Speaker 2: Pokes go way longer. That's the one that's the play that gets in the States about three million listens a year. I've got onto someone's playlist.
Speaker 5: Royalty rty, Yeah I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, f'st one here enough to play for the Christmas pay for the three and a half million plays does give you something, but nice one, not as much as you think.
Speaker 5: So right now you're getting paid.
Speaker 2: Ah No, probably I go into the mix with whatever the road. No, No, probably three cents if I play it about five hundred times.
Speaker 4: When you just have it running on a loop at home constantly.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I need to get this. Yeah, I need to get some sort of hacking thing going around devices around the world. Now the big news for Liam Lawson and now I don't know where you guys are on the f one, but somebody has suggested to me a while ago to start watching Drive to Survive around the time that Nelliam Lawson was emerging, and I got into it, and I'm right into it because I love there's a few things I love about it. I love the fact that people at the top of their game with this push to for excellence all the time, can still front up to the cameras and give interesting, aerodyite interviews, sometimes quite combative. It's entertaining. The racing's amazing. In twenty twenty six, all the fuel is going to be sustainable. I say that for Carle MacDonald, but I just and now Liam Lawson. I don't know if people realize how big a deal this is for someone to get into this position. So his income has probably gone from with his previous deal, from a couple hundred thousand, maybe hundred and FFT thousand a year probably to somewhere a few mill plus bonuses. We'll go to you, Luke. You into the F one.
Speaker 3: I love the one and Liam Lawson what a cool guy. I just love how he interviews. It's so confident. It's luck he's been there for one hundred years and now he's in the same steps. It's all those other great New Zealand motorsport racing like McLaren and Scott Dixon and so forth. But how cool is that also to be racing with the Maximstafan That.
Speaker 5: Is the coolest.
Speaker 2: Well Poison Chalice possibly possibly the number two guy, tough to have the top guy in the world as your teammate Kyle, have you been following it.
Speaker 4: I've never really been a huge fan, to be honest, for no other reason. That's never really hooked me, but a bit like you. I started watching Drive to Survive when season one came out and sort of got into it, and I sort of started watching the odd Live Race and I thought, gosh, that was a good marketing plan for Formula One wasn't a series out. But I agree with you. The thing I like about Liam as he seems to have just turned up and decided I'm not taking any rubbish from anybody. He's been aggressive and I really liked what he had to say about McLaren because, you know, it had never really occurred to me that McLaren is a is a you know, Bruce Claire New Zealand play in New Zealander. Yes, it's based in Great Britain. But he was saying they should be playing the New Zealand national ent. They're not the British national yea, because.
Speaker 2: Because who's in the Austrian franchise which is based in Silverstone or somewhere in England but they still play the Austrian anthem. I can't mean which it was? Was it? Now somebody else can tell me, text me.
Speaker 4: If you like Red Bulls Austrian, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, that was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was it. Actually, it's funny when you see him interviewed, it's hard to imagine that he's the guy that also flipped the finger at Sergio Perez I like, which still.
Speaker 4: Quite MA can't really back down at three hundred and twenty kilometers an hour, You've just got to go for it.
Speaker 2: Did you watch the one where that guy Roman Grosjeon crashed and he was in an inferno for two minutes and forty two seconds and it's climbed out and more or less well and his and his family. I've just watch that episode, and oh my goodness, it'd be a horrible sport to watch as a fam memoy. Just one crash, you'd just go I've got no control. But all the all the heads, the heads of each team, they're all interesting, erudite. I mean, they all speak about three or four languages. It makes me feel like a bit of a thicky, you know that one minute I see, you know, Toto Wolf speaking in German, then he's in English, and of course he is a German. Then he's in French and I sort of think, oh, you know.
Speaker 4: But it's it does maybe laugh though when they talk about sort of the business decision of Formula one, because you know they're talking about Perry's and this sort of the whole South America, South American market, Yeah, issues of getting rid of it. And I'm like, probably Liam Noawson bringing the New Zealand market with him isn't much of a.
Speaker 2: Point, which is a compliment to and and the story with his with his family and how they with the sacrifices they made, and how he acknowledges that as well. And I sort of think I really can't wait to see him take the seat and see how he goes.
Speaker 3: And Colin Giltrap he's tipped his head. He passed away this year and he tipped his hat the column.
Speaker 5: I love that to her. He hasn't forgotten how he got there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I look, I can't wait to see how he races against everyone else. I reckon I've got high hopes from I just am fascinated to see if he gets in position where he's next to Max for step and whether they say no, no, Liam, You've got to let Max go first. That's going to have that's going to happen at some stage. So anyway, we'll wait and see. But good luck to Liam Lawson. It is worth mentioning my producer is also a big fan of Is she a fan of if one or is she fan of Liam Lawson? But anyway, I think he's got a lot of admirers around the country. Because I said to Tyre, I said, look, would you leave you? Would you leave your partner for for Liam? And she said he's too young, and I said that sounds like that's the only obstacle. Anyway, we say that lightheartedly, and I'm just kind of winding her up a little bit because she's she's done such a great job on the show, so as a reward, I wind her up. Isn't that lovely of me?
Speaker 4: Lucky here.
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: Microchipping cats it does sound like, you know, the expression it's like herding cats. Microchipping cats sounds sort of in the same ballpark. And it's all I don't know what it's to do to make sure that, what is it to do? Make sure we don't put down sort of wild and domestic cats and all that, But shouldn't we be also just usuring them as well.
Speaker 5: Carl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I'm a cat. In fact, we've got two cats and they're both microchip are they They came microchip actually because we was sort of part of the deal when we adopted them. But it just makes good sense because you know, I've I've had cats my whole life, and the thing you put the collars on them in the tree or even get hooked up on things. So I mean it's a pretty good idea. It means that we can track domestic cats and it's actually a lot of the feral cats that cause a lot of the wildlife problems. So it means that we can figure out you make sure we're not sort of taking the wrong You're.
Speaker 2: Not one of those owners. Is like, my cat never has a crack of a bird. It just sits there cuddled up in his basket, sort of purring away.
Speaker 4: No, the trick is to keep him, keep him well fed.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, but I did hear that microchipping costs close to fifty bucks, whereas desexing, I don't know, how can you desect something for fifteen bucks. I mean, a latte costs your sex a two and a half lartes. Well, desex you cat.
Speaker 3: I'm into marketsipping cats and it's not you know, there's not a lot of things that I do agree with with the Green Party, but I don't. I do want the cat's market trip. The feral cats I hunt, I get fifty bucks a cat.
Speaker 5: Oh do you shoot cats?
Speaker 3: I don't shoot them on if they the farmer will give me fifty bucks. I really wore a bottle of vodka.
Speaker 2: Really, they're just going bye bye a pussy cat.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, they get into our wildlife and I don't want to native bird being killed by woman a feral cat.
Speaker 2: It is such an emotive topic. But it is the sound, the change of the sounds in the forest, you know, as a result of just birds not being weird. They should have been even and domestic, you know, in our own tree lined suburbs.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 4: I think it's a wonderfully New Zealand issue too, and certainely Gareth Morgan proved single handedly that you have to be very careful about policies around in this country, very careful.
Speaker 2: Are you okay with the shooting of wildcats.
Speaker 4: If they're fair? Oh yeah, sure, I mean they are actually technically a pest.
Speaker 5: It's part of it.
Speaker 4: It's kind of a bit conflicting really being a cat on sort of. They do catch the old bird in the odd bit of wildlife. That's why I say, you just got to keep them well fed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I mean, actually, why do you think it is that dog owners have always had to have them chipped and pay for their registration and the INCENTI.
Speaker 4: Dangerous, right two people?
Speaker 3: Oh no, I think dog owners we I mean I've got a dog and I chip it just for its own safety, as if it gets out of the gate.
Speaker 5: You know, I want to know where my dog is.
Speaker 3: That's the main thing I want to chip my dog for. Like recently, I pulled up in Sat Mary's Bay. There's a group of people around the cat and the cat died. So I picked it up, put on at the back of the took it the vet Mike. Could they scanned it a chip, had a chip. The owner was so pleased and the cat came back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, that isn't a hard That's probably not going to be an advertising campaign that's gonna work. In case your pet Moggie gets run over by a bus, then let's at least know who the carcass belongs to.
Speaker 4: Microchips are great What I really want to do is fit a camera to my cat. I want to know what they get up to.
Speaker 3: They traveled so far. I know they travel a lot. It's not the neighborhood at night. They travel like up to four and a half k's.
Speaker 2: You know the funny thing about cats? For me, I'm not really a cat person, but where our neighbors have got a cat and it's not very sociable, but I kind of like it because it's a cute cat. It's little white socks. But isn't it funny that you can look at pretty much exactly the same species and it's wild and it's like, shoot that thing.
Speaker 4: Well, they're an apex predator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I actually didn't funny enough. Just before we go to the break, I was watching a wild It's some wildlife thing where there's a lion in some sort of park and the lion actually thinks it's obviously been domesticated so much. Walk running along to this bus load of tourists. It's an open bus, and it jumps on top of them all and it starts rubbing itself against them like it's some sort of moggie. I was thinking, I must say, if everyone went on that trip, and I took my daughters with me. I think that we're not going.
Speaker 4: Too careful not to soil the bus at that moment.
Speaker 2: But yeah, exactly, Yeah, it does sound like it's sort of a tour that's bounty end in tears at some stage. Anyway, we're going to be back in just a moment to wrap things up and also talk about Auctan's new pool. Wayne Brown is loving it. News Talk s head b. It's nine minutes to four. Yes, News Talk said be the weekend collective panel. Our last topic with my guests Luke Dallo and Kyle MacDonald the pool. So Wayne Brown is he's loving the new pool that they've the saltwater pool. I think, isn't it? And I saw a.
Speaker 5: Photo of him.
Speaker 2: He's in pretty good shape, Wayne, Wayne. Actually, for a slightly older gent, I almost would be tempted to go and have a swim in that pool. Although Kyle, you're a bit flash because you've just been bragging to us about the pool you've got in your backyard. So we'll go to We've got to Luke first.
Speaker 3: I think the pool is a fantastic idea. We shared more of them around there, more accessible pools. It's got a lifeguard. They're fantastic. But I'm just worried about the little bit of about the pollution, which I don't really care personally but some one might. Is it filters coming through that sea wall and a big thing for me. You got to get that when you're crossing sort and so more people can jump in the pool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Carl, Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: One of the things I was really struck by when we were in Sydney and then stead of up and down the south New South Wales coast and the school holidays this year is like literally every beach it seems like it's got a saltwater pool, which is great for the little ones. And you know, we've unfortunately one of the things that happens every summer as we end up with lots of headlines about drownings. By far and away, the best way is to get your kids and it's safely supervised in water from a young age. And if this helps with that, you know, for people in the city or go for a quick dip week going.
Speaker 2: And here's here's the amazing thing that I think it's worth giving a shout out to. Even though Eki Panouku, which is the council organization. It's recently been dis established. They're shifting its functions to another body or something. This was Wellington, that pool would have cost about twenty million bucks. Auckland built that pool five hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: Brilliant, isn't that? Actually?
Speaker 2: When I saw that finger, I thought, has somebody made because we're so used to these big numbers being banded about. So hats off to Ikipinuku and the Auckland Council and Wayne Brown for a great public facility that we can all use.
Speaker 4: To be fair, if it was in Mornington you put a fairrier drive into an accident.
Speaker 5: Oh and be bloody fair fairy.
Speaker 2: Oh if we had another, if we had some more time, if I could turn back time anyway, Hey guys, are you hitting away having You're having a bit of break, aren't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, we done at the lovely Wyhee Beach for Christmas Day and a couple of days either side, so really looking forward to.
Speaker 5: That and Luke, I'll be up at Russell catching turner. So there you go.
Speaker 2: Is that your favorite fish?
Speaker 5: By the way, it's my favorite fishy. I love tuna on hardbooker.
Speaker 2: Great to have you guys, and thanks so much and thanks for your contributions to the Christmas and we'll look forward to catch up with you next year. Merry Christmas and bar humbug just covering my basis. We'll be back shortly. The wonderof radio show d McKnight is with us talking about what's up next year. Given the hypho back soon.
Speaker 5: To see you and me under the tree a cozy little Christmas.
Speaker 1: Here with you. For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to news Talks it'd be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio