Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from news Talk zed Be follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: There's a new craze. Apparently it involves cottage cheese. High protein, low calorie. Recipes that include the dairy product are sending social media into something of a frenzy. Sales going through the roof Fonterra up sixty percent in the past twelve months, Woolworth's up fifty percent in the past three months alone. Kevin Hagen is the owner of Organic Cheesemaker, the Cheese Barn and the Wykatto region and Kevin joins me.
Speaker 3: Now good a good tam, thanks for having me. I'll actually Kevin Jenkins, I'm from a company called a Cheese Wheel.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Well, I don't know where we got that going from.
Speaker 3: That's okay, isn't it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sorry? Okay, Well, anyway, are you seeing this increase in demand as well?
Speaker 3: Yes, we are, And funny enough, I started eating more cottage cheese a few months ago, so I don't know what's happening. I already got the role with childs in it. Hey, but I do have another message, Tim, and that is about thirty arts and cheesemakers in New Zealand, and most of them can't get their product to market. Supermarkets and dellies just don't stock them, and so they do it hard. So what I do, what our firm does is we've put four each month in a box and we deliver it to your door. And that's growing as well. And there is more interesting cotta of cheese and no surprise. But my message is it's an entry level drug. You know, enjoy it. But once you've got the hang of cottage cheese, look around and start to hunt down some of the even more delicious New Zealand cheese.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't need to sell me on the on the artisan cheese is. I'm a big fan of that stuff myself, But what do you I mean, the social media, it's amazing how powerful it is with them with just influencing one particular type of cheese. And I guess the thing is, I mean, you can have your luxury artisan cheese, but the cottage cheese can be sort of daily staple.
Speaker 3: Isn't that you can exactly? But hey, the ads and cheese is they're not already that expensive. I mean some are, sure, only because they take a long time to make well or of the trick of the cottage cheese. You can make it at home. All of it does is curdled milk essentially, and yet it the next day, whereas like some of the more expensive cheeses, is something you can put it on the shelf for five ten years. You know, delicious, so right, and it's work with it.
Speaker 2: What do you think is going to happen with this cottage cheese craze? Is it going to be going to be something that keeps going? Is the market going to be met by supply? I mean, is the demand going to be met by supply or what do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think it can be because for the look, if you look at the economics of it, small ads and cheesemakers, you'll often see them also make yogurt and things like cottage cheese and other fresh cheeses because they can turn it around quickly. You know, if you have to put cheese, even like soft cheese like a can and beer breestyle, if you have to put on the shelf for a few months, there's some money tied up, right, So I think it will be. And also, you know, let's be honest, it's delicious and you can use it in all sorts of different ways seen to.
Speaker 2: I mean, this demand is quite unusual, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Well, it is. You know, when I was a kid, I thought I associated cottage cheese with for fees and the like, you know, and I wouldn't touch with the bashbold did and taste of anything. I've sort of grown up, you know, it's sort of it's a lot. It's a lot better than what I thought. It's great stuff. And like I said, I'm eating a lot more of it myself. But hey, I keep saying it. Don't stop there, you know, sears you out some of the more flavors and cheeses, some of the age cheeses, some of the soft and hard cheeses that New Zealand makes. But like I won't go away no cheese. The consumption of cheese all around the world has been grown since the Second World War, and it continues to grow. And the percentage of that growth that there's garbison cheese is growing even more all around the world.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, Kevin. And if people want to get your stuff out of mind, you're throwing throwing your contact out that it's a cheese, Well, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's www. The Cheesewheel dot co dot nz. Sign up now and your life will be better.
Speaker 2: Okay, there we go. Get your hands on some cheese. Quite remarkable though it's simple. Just be one of those things that kept caught a wave and cottage cheesus the thing.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks ed B. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio