Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: This is Sportsfix Howard By News Talks ed B.
Speaker 3: Hi there and welcome into the Sports Fix podcast. At the start of another week, the back end of another busy sporting weekend. It is Monday, March seventeen. Happy Sir Patrick's Day to those who celebrate. I'm Jason Pine on Sports Fix. Today we look back over the weekend and in particular to Melbourne where Liam Lawson had a challenging weekend in his first event as a full time Formula One driver with red Ball. We're going to break it down with Eric Thompson, our motor sport expert. I've got a few subliminal thoughts on it as well. We'll kick it around in the Chamber two with a larger few. And also the Warriors are they back? The Crusaders are they back? And what's happened to the Blues in Super Rugby? All of that and the latest sports news going around today, so let's get into it. In other news, let's get underway with some of the big sports stories around today. New Zealand's push for victory at the sou GP event in La had been foiled. The Greatest Neighbors to the North As Canada comes to Los Angeles and dreams the top prize. The Kiwis will hold on for second, Australia third. The black Falls were first round the first mark, but a brief touchdown off the foils allowed the Canadians to snatch a lead that they never relinquished. A golfing highlight away from the top of the leaderboard in the final round of the Players Championship at Sawgrass. You can get it over that bunker there right in front of the green with a little turn.
Speaker 2: You used the slope.
Speaker 4: About that shot.
Speaker 3: He didn't need to use the slope.
Speaker 2: Ticket rate habit.
Speaker 3: That is the sound of Kegan Bradley holding the first as of the week and jubilation for Newcastle beating Liverpool two to one and the League Cup final, their first domestic trophy since winning the FA Cup in nineteen fifty five, a trophy.
Speaker 1: Dissecting the sporting agenda, It's Sportsfix with Jason Vine.
Speaker 3: On the Sports Fix podcast Let's Talk Formula One. Liam Lawson has had his first outing as a full time at red ball driver in Formula One unfortunately not quite going the way he would have hoped in Melbourne over the weekend, registering a d n F on race day yesterday after a difficult time in practice and also in qualifying. Let's break this down, bringing in motorsport expert Eric Thompson, Ete, thanks for joining us. How will Liam be feeling after the weekend.
Speaker 5: He'll be a bit annoyed actually. And if there's one thing about Liam, what Christian Horner and doctor Marco Helmet Helmut Marco think of him as his resilience and his mental strength. You know, he's he's not the fastest outright sort of pure talented driver on the grid, but he's very very good. But it's that mental fortitude. So he'll be going away thinking, yes, things didn't quite work out for me. I did no running in free practice FP three, no running at all. So our whole practice SESSON session on a circuit that he didn't know Pony had never been on before, had no experience of in any sort of vehicle, so missing that, I think, and that's when the things started to get a bit difficult for him. And then that torrential rain on race day and it was normally very good in the web, but the one good thing and as Christian Horner has come out and International Pressure said, he set the second fastest lap time of all the drivers in the dry when the race was dry. So he'll be be hanging on to that pony and is just going yep. I can when things are going right, I'm as fast, if not faster than most of the pack.
Speaker 3: How much of what happened over the last three days et was out of William Lawson's control, I would say quite.
Speaker 5: A lot of it. First of all, the weather number two that the recharging system and the battery's going flat and FP three so no running time at all. And also they rolled the dice and left them out there on a set of tires that hopefully hoping that the track would dry. It didn't, so he was the only one on sort of intermediate tires and the pouring rain. So of course he just aquiplaned and stood off and hit the wall. So yeah, you know, some people tell it was his mistake, you know he stood off. No, they rolled the dice. You know, if that had worked by and the sun had come out and that track had dried at that stage, he was intent so he could have easily challenged for the top five if it had suddenly gone dry. But that's the way it is. So if it worked, you look like, you know, you're magnificent, and if it doesn't, you know, you look like a bit of a well, you know, you should have come in from the tires. But it's the whole team, it's not he doesn't make the decisions all on his own.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the team aspect of this, can you just clarify for me the car that Liam's in is it identical to Verstappens pretty much?
Speaker 5: And at the moment they're trying to change it because in the first couple of practices it was noted and you could see watching it, fans watching you could see that that's of Staffins car had a different nose on to Lim Lawson's car. So they're trying to work out to get the car to suit limb And because of the lack of practice sessions pre season or between the seasons, you know, they've cut way way way way way way way back on testing and all that sort of stuff, so they couldn't really get the car set up before the Australian gone pre four Lawson, So it's a little bit like we've got to try and get the cars working for him and the way he drives whilst are you're practicing for a race but difficult.
Speaker 3: Indeed, indeed, because it's still important, isn't it that Liam performs well across the season, because apart from obviously Max for stapp and being you know, their man for the drivers Championship, Lilliam still has to pick up points, doesn't he for Red Bull to help them in the constructors Championship.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Finally, you've nailed it because all teams are worried about I mean, they like it when the driver wins the championship for them, but all they're worried about is the Constructors' Championships or the teams championships because that's where the money comes from. The tens upon tens of millions of euros comes from that. And with Red Bull dropping from first in the Constructors Championship in two twenty three to I think it was third last year in twenty twenty four, there was a difference of about I think it was thirty eight million Europe. You know that's that's not jump change, that's not what you find in the stop draw. So Liam Liam is expected to be within I think Christian Horner and Halimaco said, you know, within something like five to seven tenths of a second of Max Tostappen. But this is his first hit out. He goes to China next weekend again circuit he's never been on, so that'll be interesting. But I reckon he'll be given probably a good five to six races before, you know, like management media will probably be having a go soon. But you know, the people who actually make the decisions, you know, they're going to give him a bit of a chance. So it's just it's the first hit out and nothing really went well. I mean, you've got to look all through all the categories, you know, with the rain and the weather and stuff. Especially on that day, it was just a and that mountain circuit Ponty is a weird, weird place. It's a public road, so it's got a crown in the middle of the road, which means you know, it's not purpose built track. It's got off camber corners and it's just got white lines everywhere, and the people are complaining with all the advent around the lake park with the cycle tracks and all those sort of things. It's more light lines and more colored nine surfer rains. You're hiding on that circuit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you've you've brought up a good point in terms of what China will be like. It'll be different, right, more of a I guess, a traditional racetrack, but still, as you've said, one that is unfamiliar to Liam.
Speaker 5: Right, yes, still unfamiliar, but that has never really been an issue. I think what the major problem was at Melbourne with the weather and at being a street circuit. Now he won't, you know, like you'll be on the simular. You've already been on the simulator loads of times anyway.
Speaker 3: But it's a purpose.
Speaker 5: Built racetrack, so he'll feel more comfortable, more at home, and I think he'll bounce back really really.
Speaker 3: Well, very much looking forward to seeing that eat. Thanks, indeed for your analysis on the Sports Fixed podcast that it's my a sport expert, Eric Thompson Sportsfix. So what can we take from Liam Lawson's first Grand Prix as a full time driver for Red Bull. Hell, I'm sure be quite keen to hop on a plane and get out of Melbourne. There was so much hype around his Formula One debut, a lot of excitement I'm sure Liam Lawson himself was looking forward to putting on a really good showing at Albert Park in Melbourne. But unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, many of them out of his own control, it just didn't come together for Liam Lawson. He had trouble in practice, he had trouble in qualifying. It meant that on an unfamiliar track he had very very little driving time before the race itself yesterday, and in horrendous conditions which actually, ironically enough, might have suited Liam Lawson in terms of closing things up. He had to start from pitt Lane. He qualified eighteenth, but then they made some changes to the car and under the rules of Formula one that meant that he had to start from pitt Lane, so right right at the back. He was doing okay. He was going along the right past a few guys and some of the drivers crashed out. At one point he was up near the top ten, but again bad luck befell him and the team orders he stayed out on a certain set of tires while the number one in Red Bull, Max Fstapan, came in to get his tires changed, and while he was out there, Liam Lawson had a crash, hit the wall and for him that was curtain's DNF in his first IF one race as a full time driver. Look, it's not terminal. This is the first event of twenty four, Bob McMurray said to me on the radio on Saturday. This is day two of seventy two days. Nothing that happens here can to find Liam Lawson one way or the other. Of course, he would have liked to have start started rather in more positive fashion, but it just wasn't to be. So now they jump on a plane, get to China and go again. Liam Lawson was put into that seat for a number of reasons, one of which was his mental resilience. They saw in him an ability to not ride the highs too high or the lows too low, and just to keep on keeping on and looking ahead to the next event. The next event is in China this coming weekend. He doesn't have too long to dwell on what happened in Melbourne, so here's for a much better showing in practice and qualifying and in the race itself, an event two of twenty four for Lilliam Lawson this coming weekend.
Speaker 2: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsvex.
Speaker 3: On the Sports Fix podcast. Let's kick around the few outcomes and issues from the sporting weekend in the People's Chamber. Elijah was here, the Warriors did well on Friday night. Don't want to get to that, Elijah, But can we start with Liam Lawson and his challenging weekend in Melbourne. It's early on in the season and I know that he will say, look, it's just one event of twenty four, but he must be quite keen to see the back of Melbourne Liam Lawson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: Probably not the way Liam would have wanted his Red Bull tenure to start out. Unfortunate circumstances for him. Obviously, it was raining in Melbourne. I don't think it's a track that he's too familiar with either, so he would have had to learn over the weekend in terms of the turns and the sectors over in Melbourne.
Speaker 4: And yeah, again there's the weather.
Speaker 6: Conditions proved to play a big role in him eventually crashing out on lap forty five. So not the ideal way to start things off for Liam, but definitely I'm sure he would have It would have been a big learning curve for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's yeah. I think that sort doesn't it. You know, use any cliche you like, you win or you learn and you know whatever. But he is under an intense spotlight. He'd want to stay off social media elige. I don't know about you, mate, but I've had a look at some of the social media and I know people have their favorites and have their allegiance and all that sort of thing. But but yeah, I don't know that i'd be looking at social media if I was Liam Lawson. A lot of the stuff that's coming out is I pretty need you given it's only been one race.
Speaker 6: For sure, I think it's a big overreaction from those I guess who are critics or doubters of Liam Lawson. But I guess if you look at you and I Piney, we have the more optimists when it comes to Liam Lawson. And you know, we know how good Liam Lawson is when he gets going. We know he's part of a great team and he's got a great teammates alongside him and Maxvistappens, so we can only hope that things.
Speaker 4: Can go up from here for Liam.
Speaker 6: And unfortunately, I think the next rounds in China, which is another track that's not too familiar for Liam, so that he'll again will have to be a big weekend of learning how that track goes. But yeah, I'm definitely positive when it comes to Liam, and listen, it's only one round, i'd say.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Bob McMurray said a really interesting thing on the radio over the weekend. He said it was on Saturday. He said, today is day two of seventy two. You know there are twenty four events, each of them three days. It's still so early, so yeah, let's see what happens in China. Luckily for Liam he gets the chance to quickly put that behind him and move on to the Shanghai Grand Prix coming up this weekend. On the radio on Friday, I said, I wasn't worried about Liam Lawson over the weekend, but I was very worried about the Warriors. Turns out I had nothing to worry about it all.
Speaker 4: No, definitely not what a way to turn things around from.
Speaker 6: I guess the disaster you'd call them the opening round in Las Vegas. It's always nice, I guess for the Warriors to be back at home in front of the mount smart, faithful and a great performance all around the Ford pact dominated the co captains Barnetts and Fisher, Harris and Aaron Clark, who I think could be one of the best pickups the season for the Warriors. And I guess for a playmaker like Luke Metcalf, who has copped some unfair criticism after his opening round performance, he delivered and he definitely proved some of those doubts is wrong with a very strong performance over many against Manley.
Speaker 4: So great one for the Warriors.
Speaker 3: I've explain this to me because it's basically the same team, right Clark and for Ford. Otherwise it's the same thirteen and it's the same seventeen. So is this just the nature of being a Warriors fan that you just have to expect Vegas one week in Mount Smart the next.
Speaker 6: I'd say, so you have to ride with the up and ups and downs. It's a roller coaster over a Mountain Smarts. I know Auckland c have the fairest wheel set up over there, but the Warriors, they've already had a roller coaster there the entire time. So I guess for Warriors fans, we'll see what happens next, whether they can build from this momentum and carry that momentum going, but definitely a huge confidence boost at least if you're the Warriors and.
Speaker 3: The Roosters are next, that's just coming Friday night. But they beat the Panthers over the weekend, I'm not sure too many people saw their coming.
Speaker 4: Definitely not.
Speaker 6: And I think we've seen in the opening two rounds there's been a lot of interesting probably upsets you could call them, or at least a lot of interesting results. I wouldn't say there's a standout top team at least so far. I mean, we know the Panthers have won the last four, but the way they've it's completely new roster for them, so they're not as dominant as we've seen from them in the past few years. So I do think the NRL, at least in the couple first opening rounds, as a wide opener, i'd say.
Speaker 3: Super right be to finish round five's in the books. I'm a bit worried about your blues. I have to say one win from five. Those are those are Crusaderes twenty twenty four numbers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh, thank you for that, honey.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, it is a bit tough when we're languishing near the bottom, but I will I will say we've had a couple of close losses to the Brumbies and the Chiefs, so I think if we do win those games, then things would look a little bit different for us on the table. I wouldn't say I'm in panic mode, but I do think there's a lot of execution that needs to be worked on with the Blues.
Speaker 4: And you know, I'm not saying overhaul the whole vern ball game plan.
Speaker 6: But maybe they might need to be some slight tweaks to make considering defenses. They know what to expect when they come come up against the Blues, so I wouldn't say I'm panicking, but they do need to turn things around, especially when they've got a high flying team like the Crusaders coming into town this week.
Speaker 3: It shows how they've been really because even though they've lost four out of five games, their points differential is only minus seventeen, so not like they've been having it. Actually say, one point losses in their last two and then look, there's too much quality in that side for them to stay down there for too long. Although I guess we said that about the Crusaders last year. They did have a number of injuries meantime, they've got the sun on their backs on you know, on a lovely day in christ Year. It's running in all sorts of tries. Mac As, spring of five tries, sever reesa hat trick. The Crusaders could be back.
Speaker 6: A great day if you played the Crusader's back three and your fantasy team, I say exactly, Macas, bring us downd out. I think we've seen the class of sever rees and Will Jordan in particular. We knew this when Jordan was missing last season for the Crusaders and how desperate they needed Will Jordan in the lineup. And now that he's back, everything's clicking on all cylinders, it seems for the Crusaders and particularly that back line. So I'm excited to see how they go against the Blues at Eden Park.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm that is a game I am very much looking forward to as well. It looks like the standout fixture in round six Blues Crusaders five past seven on Saturday night. I think we can probably have a yarn about that on the People's Chamber next Monday. Elijah, enjoy your week mate, Always good to chat the sporting issues of the weekend with you.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for new needing a vix.
Speaker 2: We've got just the ticket.
Speaker 1: It's Sports Fix powered by News Talks IVV and.
Speaker 3: That brings the curtain down on this edition of the Sports Fix podcast. Thank you for downloading, Thank you for listening. If you would like to have Sports Fix in your podcast feed on a regular basis, simply subscribe and it will drop automatically into your feed at around about this time every weekday afternoon and for more from News Talks AB Sport, listen to Sports Talk weeknights between seven and eight pm and weekend Sports Saturdays and Sundays between midday and three For.
Speaker 1: More from News Talks EDB listen live on air or online. And keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on IR Radio