Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Inside the Game from Every Angle.
Speaker 1: It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith, powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Rugby to powered by Habit Health, tackling all your aches and pains from sports and work back for another week to dissect the rugby issues. Elliott Smith with me as always, Liam Napier. Liam, Greetings, it's been another fascinating week in the world of rugby. I suppose let's go back to last week where by the time we recorded our usual weekly podcast, we're about twenty four hours out from releasing a podcast with Mark Robinson into our CEO and Scott robertson All Black Sea Coach. Plenty of positive reactions, so I thank you to all that have got in touch with us on that. And yeah, it's created a few stories around the rugby world, hasn't it has.
Speaker 4: Indeed, anytime the All Blacks Coach goes live to the nation so to speak, or it does an in depth interview like that, it's widely picked up on. And yeah, I thought it was quite candid by Razor at times.
Speaker 2: Some hot top.
Speaker 4: Topics covered eligibility, everything from Kalyn Ponger to NRL converts and the like in Richie Muonga what happened in Japan.
Speaker 2: So yeah, thanks for all your feedback.
Speaker 4: And if you haven't had a chance to listen to it's yea rap breads around it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can view it on YouTube as well. Check it on the old Crome cast or smart TV and park up in the lounge and watch it that way if you're so inclined and keen for any other guests that you might like us to get on Rugby Direct. Let's rip into the weekend that was, and the headline match from a New Zealand perspective was the Blues and Crusaders on Saturday night and it delivered plenty of tries, It delivered a big win for the Crusaders, and it delivered more questions about this Blues team one and five in their title defense. No one would have picked this. This was perhaps a fifty to fifty game heading in. You know, the Crusaders were underdogs at the bookies, but the Crusaders just too good on the nights and deserving of their win. What did you make of the performance then.
Speaker 2: I think we've split them down the middle.
Speaker 4: If we deal with the Crusaders first and foremost, what a transformation in the past. What is it four months really from a disastrous season. I think they only won four games last year, missed the playoffs. Rob Penney's coaching job was on the line, questions about his back room staff, players weren't happy, there were selection concerns. This year, They've got some bodies back, but they're still missing a few. Cody Taylor is a couple of others that Brandon n or Scott Barret only played half of that game. At the weekends. Ethan Blackhead is still out. So look, the Crusaders, all credit to them. They did a number on the Blues. This was the Blues equal biggest loss to the Crusaders at Eden Park, and I think the Crusaders have now won nine of the last ten at Eden Park as well, which is quite staggering. But this was a Crusaders team that hadn't won away from home and Rob Penny's tenure nine games. You have to go back to the twenty twenty three Super Aby Final to find their last away win, so that was a big monkey off their back. What I like about the Crusaders is they are far more adventurous this year, and far more adventurous than they were under Scott Robertson.
Speaker 2: As well.
Speaker 4: They are attacking from inside their twenty two. They are offloading using the ball, having a real crack playing with pace. The Blues could not slow down their quick recycle and that really hurt them. So I was very impressed by the Crusaders forward pack. They did a number on the Blues lineout on this scrum the breakdown, and it really was one rate traffic apart from the Blues scored the opening try and then it was all the Crusaders.
Speaker 3: And what the Crusaders thought did well after that opening try is that they didn't allow the Blues to get him momnt and they went back down the other end and scored, then scored again fee hockey scores from the twenty two, and that just put the Blues on the back foot after they've done well to open the scoring, get on the front foot, give themselves a bit of confidence. The Crusaders managed to do that and that allowed them to take control of the game from that point onwards and went into halftime with a thirteen point lead. Extended it after the break and never really felt like in any danger from when they went about twenty points to seven up. And we think back to last year what the Blues were able to do so well. They played direct, They used their ball runners really effectively. They used this set piece really effectively. I know they've got a number of injuries, but they looked ponderous at times with ball in hand. And it wasn't until they were chasing the game late on and the Crusaders maybe switched off a little bit and some tied bodies out there that they made and to be a little bit more expansive with the game plan. It was too late for the Blues by that point. They let the game slip. In the first half.
Speaker 4: They did just on the Crusaders again. The final score line flated the Blues. Kimitta missed three conversions and the Crusaders could have I think they lead twenty to seven at halftime, and Will Jordan came close to scoring. I think he dropped the ball quite close to the line. They were breaking the Blues open at will. So many unforced eras from the Blues and senior players were talking here, you know, Stephen Petefetter dropping a very simple high ball. The Crusaders score from that. Riquewani at least two drop balls in contact and he was elevated to the captaincy after Patrick two Polotu's withdrawal. I think for me that the form of the crusaders is encapsulated in David Havili's form last year. I know he had some injury concerns, but he is now the out and out form second five in this competation. The way he's carrying the ball in a dominant fashion, if you watch him his talk, his organization, he's really relishing that leadership and so his transformation transformation has been very stark and that's reflected in the Crusader's form.
Speaker 3: And he's taking pressure off to Hakimitter as well, which is big because he's a young team. We know the woes he had last year dropped back to Waycato Club Rugby, missing conversions and and things like that. That he's taking that is a big concern. So he's taking a lot of the heat off Tarkumeter in terms of the way he's running the game.
Speaker 4: Still a young guy, but when you cast a head to the playoffs, you've got to be kicking your goals.
Speaker 2: That is going to make a big difference.
Speaker 4: So at some point there's going to be a very tight call for a penny there does he go for the experience and James O'Connor, you know when when if does he make that call?
Speaker 3: Well, he's got free hockey who can go kick. He's got David Havilli who can goal kick. Now they are not first choice goal kick is by any strip to the imagine, but Ta Hakim his numbers would suggest that he's not at that level of being a first choice goalkicker as yet, so that I don't need to know that they really need to change the run on team. I just think you give the kicking team. I mean, he's already doing plenty for the Crusaders one to give it to David Harvilli and say this is part of your responsibilities now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it's not working for him and why does the first five have to kick? When you mentioned that, and just on schaefe K, I've given him a bit of stick here, yeh. And justifiably so, I felt at the time in terms of the All Blacks conversation, and it was a big call for Rob Penny to bring him back and drop Macha Springer to the bench after he scored five tries.
Speaker 2: But fie Hackey was excellent at the weekend.
Speaker 4: He was highly involved, very dangerous, and every time he touched the ball fully justified his selection. So that speaks to the Crusader's depth. Now let's look at the Blues. What the hell's gone wrong? This was a team that dominated last year and they were titled favorites and now they have been a complete flop. And the biggest concern was we'll talk about the injuries, but last week they really hinted that they were improving. They could have very easily beaten the Chiefs in Hamilton but for a sideline conversion from Xavier Taili and this was easily their worst performance of the season.
Speaker 2: That leaves so many question marks.
Speaker 3: It does. It was a massive step backwards after what they were able to do the week prior and push the Chiefs right to the limit. And you look at the stats postgame and they do not tell the story. I was looking up. The possession was fifty fifty, so charactery of fifty fifty possession, The Blues had fifty three to forty seven running meters. The Blues had five hundred and ninety to the Crusaders three hundred and forty. This is a game where the stats don't tell the tale. It's probably bolstered by the last fifteen or so minutes where they became a bit more adventurous, had to really chase the game and had some better running meters and were able to hold onto the ball for perhaps a little bit longer. But they seem to have just gone away from everything that was working so well last year. They don't build pressure, and that's the concerning thing for me, is that they had a lot of position in that game and just didn't know really what to do with it. And whether teams have figured them out, or whether they're not comfortable playing that style of rugby anymore, I don't exactly know. But they barely really got into the Crusaders twenty two and put pressure on in that game on the weekend. They Crusaders were able to force eras, the Blues made unforced eras, and there was one period in the second spell where they just sort of were five minutes five minutes inside the Crusaders half, not really going anywhere for about two or three minutes at a time, just passing left and right, not able to strike, not able to find a way through. So I think the Blues have become really ponderous this year. And yeah, there's a number of injuries, but there's still a lot of quality in that team, and I don't know why they haven't been able to recapture any of that magic from last year.
Speaker 4: Very disjointed and directionless performance, and it is a big concern. There were a couple of stats which does speak to that performance. The Blues had nineteen turnovers to the Crusaders, five six those were unforced eerers and they won five of thirteen lineouts and the scrum was seventy five percent. So if you look at where the Blues were strong last year, it was in the collisions, it was the line out, drives, the set piece, the defense, their kick strategy, all of those things are not working for them. And we do have to touch on their injuries.
Speaker 3: I think fourteen.
Speaker 4: Players out and Patrick losing Patrick, two Polo to and Eckland just prior in the days leading up to that game does have a massive influence on your leadership, on your line out. And the Blues now go into the buy and from what I'm hearing, they will get potentially Ricky, Rictelli, Eckland, Patrick two, Polo to Zan Sullivan, Bowden, Barrett, Adrian Choate, Anton Signer, Tafafunaki, aj Lamb potentially all coming back after the buyer. Now there's some massive inns offer doing a fussy knick injury doesn't sound great. Not sure what his prognosis is, but you've got to front with who you've got, and there's no excuses for basic errors and the lack of direction and so yes, you can make excuses and the injuries do play a part, but I don't think that justifies the phenomenal slide we've seen in such a short space time.
Speaker 3: I agree, And the problem I've got is that at some of the All Blacks players that are not standing up and delivering, the ones that are still standing and not injured, that they're not getting the best out of Rico Jowani. I think ran for a lot of meters on the weekend, but and he was captain, but I think didn't have one of his better games and struggled to get on the go forward on the weekend. Dalton Papa Lei has been really quiet this season and I'm not sure why that. In these occasions where you need players to stand up, they're not. Cameron Christie has been. On the other hand, a young player that's only in what has theod fourth game maybe for super rugby level, is one of those ones that a stand up. As zeb Ta earlier, you can see the brilliance and the possibilities that he might bring. So it's those younger players are standing up. And I think you've got to put some real question marks around Papalii and Yuani as leaders in this team. They've both captained before the Blues and they're not delivering at the moment.
Speaker 2: And for me, that speaks to an attitude thing.
Speaker 4: To be honest, it's very hard to quantify, but I spoke to Stephen bit of fit to this year and he hinted that a training attitude that wasn't the same as last year, and speaking to others around the team, there is a sense that there hasn't been that same hunger. The Blues broke their eighteen year title drought last year. They wanted it really bad and von Kotta came in got a reaction from this team and it is very much like do you want this?
Speaker 2: How hungry are you?
Speaker 4: And it's a classic case of almost second year syndrome. Going through the motions. They made all the right noises about not being complacent, but they're not walking the talk.
Speaker 3: No and they had said that. You know, the players have said that the training wasn't as intense as it needed to be, perhaps in preseason from their own perspective, that they they didn't bring the intensity required. And that's the hallmarks of you know, great teams, isn't it. You look back to some of the super rugby teams. You know, the Crusader's going on that run between twenty seventeen and twenty three, even the Chiefs in twenty twelve and twenty thirteen winning back to back, the Blues you know, way back in the nineties doing it back to bads. It's all very well. Winning one and that's great and you can celebrate that, and they broke the adrat there. But the great teams back it up and they may not go back and win the title the next year, but they'll go very very close. And we're just not seeing that from the Blues. You know, there's a long way to go in this competition. They're one in five, but you know, they get some players back, sure, but there's still some big games to come from. They've got to go play the Crusader's Wayne christ Church go to Suva. They've got to a suver. They've got Hurricanes at home in a couple of weeks. They've got Wana Pacific two games to play now, one is bottom of the table. But you just don't know what kind of game plan they'll bring and how hungry they might be on the night. So they've got a still some runway the Blues, but not a lot really in this competition.
Speaker 4: No times running out and you know what, this is where we find out what the Blues are made of and what their attitude is and how much they want it. They've dug themselves a massive hole. And for me, the responsibility it's player lead. The coaching team can only do so much. Where are these players at How are they gonna They need to catch the ball, they need to put these things in place. The other thing we just another step. The kicking meters, I think it was the Crusaders kicked twenty five times and they've got eight hundred odd meters. The Blues were nineteen odd times for three hundreds. So little things like that have a profound effect but yeah, the Blues there are in some adversity. How and are they going to fight their way out of it? Because this has been their own doing. So let's find out what they're all about.
Speaker 3: Indeed, they go into the buy the sweet, plenty of things to pond it there. Let's go to the Reeds in the hand is under the roof in Dunedin on Saturday afternoon, the Reeds emerging twenty nine to twenty three winners. Look, the Reds were without Fraser mcwright as they crossed the Tasman tamd Dermott and yet they come over and take the win. And for periods in this game it felt like the Highlanders not necessarily have this game under control, but they know they trailed early, came back, got themselves into the contest and it felt like, okay, they'd set themselves up for well, but they just made a couple of errors. In the second spell, Ethan Degrouk goes off for a yellow card. They can sider to try either side of that, and all they can escape with is a penalty goal at the end for a bonus point. I thought this was a really disappointing second spell, in particular from the Highlanders.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: Yes, the game was there for the taking and they started slowly and then I felt like they got their game going, started to build, some things got on top, and then they felt like they let it slip. You mentioned the yellow card, and the other big factor here was their scrum got completely dismantled, dismantled. Their replacement tight head had some real struggles, then went off injured. The starting tight head came back, but the Reds really their replacement front rowers Alex Hodgman and the like did a number on the Highlanders. Poor yellow card from the group. That was costly as well from an all Black. So yeah, look, there were some impressive individual performances. Was great to see Peter umung A Jensen back in the midfield. I thought he was added some real touches of class with his long balls and midfield penetration. Sean Withey was good well, at least one turnover, but yeah, the read's not at full strength. That was there for the taking for the Honders. I think there was the Reds first one in Dneed in ten twelve years. So there's a bit about that team.
Speaker 3: There is a bit about that team. We saw them come to christ Church and get beaten there, but they felt threatening in that game, just didn't quite get maybe the bounce of the ball the war waritie. They go over to Needen, which is as you said and historically has been a tricky trip for them. They're well in Sconced now in that top three alongside the Chiefs and Crusaders. You know, they're building quite nicely and they've got an interesting all run. They've got the Chiefs in a couple of weeks in Hamilton, which is gonna be a real litmus test for them because.
Speaker 2: I've had a bit of success against the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: They have exactly and they deliver it in Hamilton in a couple of weeks time. Because it feels like they're building, you know, and there's all sorts of things going on in the background around Les Kiss and his likelihood that he's probably going to be the next Wallabies coach after Joe Schmidt. But what I like about them is their depth and we've seen that again you know, Frasmik right out. But they've got a really strong loose for trio and the Highlanders just couldn't kick with it. And it feels like this is a hot and cold sort of Highlanders team. At the moment, they are better than last year, but whether they can push for you know, those top spots when it comes to the playoffs, it's going to be a real question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it feels like they're on the fringe, doesn't it. They can pull out a performance. But the hot cold is a good analogy because even if you go back to that performance against Wina Pacifica where they just scrape through, you know, very lucky to get through that. So there's still a bit of growing for that team.
Speaker 3: There is in d Let's go back to the weekend this for night, to the game that started the weekend, the Chiefs fifty one of PACIFICA thirty five in Pocaki. This was a very odd game of rugby to one watch to commentate. Was forty three to seven at half time. And the Chiefs are cruising and playing some of the best rugby this season. One are playing some of their worst. We've seen how good they can be against the Canes and the Herders, or seeing how bad they can be though at times, and how they can switch off. Well, they didn't switch on until minute forty on the weekend, but when they switched on, they were hard to contain. Really hard to get a read on what this game meant and what we got out of it, the key point probably being the halftime break and also tinn of Umonger changing. I think five players at the break and bring on some fresh legs.
Speaker 4: Read a nice line from Aaron Goyle saying Pokakoe Stadium someone needed to check the slope on it because there's seventy five points scored at one end.
Speaker 3: Of the the Old Lord's but at Cricket Ground.
Speaker 2: It's quite staggering, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I guess Look, I think you're the Chiefs and you're up by forty odd points at halftime. There is an element of clocking off mentally and parking the bus. Wine will be very disappointed with the way they started their game.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs. Weren't you a full strength to provide?
Speaker 4: Pulled out just before the game, missing Ardie as well, and they got a lot of off their bench. Maybe they look to change things up from a selection perspective there. But yeah, very very strange game. I know punters were sweeten the on the Chiefs thirteen plus down the stretch there. I don't know how much he can take out of that game.
Speaker 2: For either team. Wana.
Speaker 4: You know, a lot of work to do on how they start games and Chiefs will be disappointed to concede that many points.
Speaker 2: Damian McKenzie very good again.
Speaker 3: He was very good again. But I just think Clayton McMillan won't have been a happy man. Halftime interview on sky TV says, you know, he basically to paraphrase, we need to go out and complete the job. Well they didn't, and it would have been a very tense bus ride back, I'm sure on Friday night from Hamilton to Pookey. That's right, Bookie to Hamilton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look, the Chiefs are title favorites, but they do look a bit fallible. They were pushed to the brink by the Blues. I only turned up for one half against the against Mona lost the week prior to the Blues, so yeah, there's a few holes you could put punch there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Their best performance was that Crusader's game where they nearly put fifty on on that night, and they've been a bit up and down since, but they are collecting the wins. Anything stand out from the other two games of the weekend Warratars Brumbies twenty eight twenty three and the four fifty two fifteen over the poor old Druler in Sunday night footy or Sunday afternoon for they in Perth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, surprised by the margin in Perth. The Duror always struggle away from home, but they pushed the Brumbies in Canberra. Look I saw parts of that Wartars Brumbies game. It was a great finish and one thing to note there.
Speaker 2: Is the Waratars heads.
Speaker 4: I think twenty odd thousand at that game, which is a record attendance for them in the last couple of years. And I think there is a bit of buzz building around Australian rugby. They've got the lines there next year, so starting to slowly rebuild and put Ozzie rugby back on the map. These teams are a lot more competitive this year and I think Sydney is a bit of a gauge of that twenty thousand that compares really well to the NRL crowds that they've seen this year. So positive rumblings in Australian rugby, which is good to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we love to see that absolutely and more on the Aussie teams. After this here on Rugby Direct will come back take a break, second half of Rugby Direct after this.
Speaker 1: This is Rugby Direct, a podcast for real rugby fares. Rugby Direct, Howard Buddies Talk SIV.
Speaker 3: You're back with Rugby Direct. Time now for our final four or Liam. There are four Australian teams in the Super Rugby Top six at the moment. How many will make the playoffs? So they're all in their The Chiefs are on top on twenty two points, Crusaders on nineteen, Reds on nineteen, Wartars on seventeen, Brumby's on fifteen, Force on fourteen. That's the top six. Highland is eleven, Hurricanes nine, Blues seven drew a seven more on a Pacificer on six. At this point in the season, will all four of those teams make the top six?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, they won't. The Force won't. I'm torn on two or three, but I can't. We don't fit fence here at Rugby Derex. So I'm going to say two of them make it, and the Blues and Hurricanes both sneaking.
Speaker 3: Okay, I tend to agree. The Force have got a tricky back half of the season. They got the Reds this week, then they welcome the Highlanders and Hurricanes at home in consecutive weeks. Then they're away to the Force on as Sorry to the Chiefs on anzac Dan Todonga. Then there to Auckland and playing the Blues, who at that point in the season, who knows they'll be hungry. And then the Brumbies drew it and war Atars to finish. So that's a tricky run includes a trip to Suva for them as well. So I suspect you're right around the Force dropping out. Who did you say that your two teams is going to make it?
Speaker 4: So I said two. Yeah, it's tough, isn't it. So we've got the Reds, Wartars and Brumbies. It's really tough to draw a line through one of them. I'm going to say the Warriors miss out.
Speaker 3: I tend to agree because they've got a number of New Zealand teams and not just to put the New Zealand teams up in lights, but there's a tricky drawer.
Speaker 2: Yeah seven, I think the Blues and Knees sneak in.
Speaker 4: But look, it's very it's going to be a great finish to the season and there's.
Speaker 2: Going to be a lot of jeopardy around around there.
Speaker 3: Well at the Blues, you know seven points on the letter stands there one went outside the playoffs. They do have the buy, but other teams have the ball. It'll even itself out. That flows really nicely onto topic number two. Are you willing to draw a line through the Blues winning the title this year one in five outside the playofs at the moment on seven points?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm not.
Speaker 4: But it's a long long road to hoe because they will be away from home for should they sneak into the playoffs, there's two questions here. One is do they make the playoffs and then they still title contenders? As it stands right now, you would say, no, they're not title contenders. I think they make the playoffs and if they're healthy, they could knock over anyone on their day, and we saw that a week ago in Hamilton where they pushed the title favorites to the brink.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So look, they desperately need some bodies back, and they desperately need the reset and the buy, and we're gonna it's almost it's not quite make or break territory for the Blues, but with the Hurricanes next up, these are very very important matches. So no, I'm not willing to draw a line through them as title contenders, but it's very touch and go.
Speaker 3: They've got a trip to christ shoots to come yep and SUV and SUV and Queensland and Brisbane. Yeah. Yeah, there's not much regal, right, I know that. So the one went out of the playoffs, but there really isn't much regular room excuse me left for the Blues.
Speaker 4: Well, they can probably drop what are they one and five? They could probably drop two ab three most and it also depends on how other teams go as well. And that's just getting to the top six. You don't really want to be going to Hamilton a week one. No, that's that's tough. Yeah, one v six, two v five three p four Yeah, what about you. I don't think they can win the title. I think they can still make the playoffs, absolutely. I have seen enough from the Chiefs too are clear favorites Crusaders and Reds tucked in behind to suguesce that there are better teams at this point in time. And you're right, having to go from deep mark it down twenty fourth to March. I don't think they can win the title again this year. The only thing I'm hanging on to here is if you get bow in the back at ten, you put Peter Fittis to fall back. You know, you welcome some of these Patrick Ricky big names, but it just hasn't happened for them.
Speaker 3: So and they've had a lot of those names in the opening rounds. You know, maybe not in the positions that they would necessarily have put them, but they've had a lot of those players that you know, these aren't players that have been out for the entire season. These are players out for two or three weeks.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 3: Topic number three A good story from our friend Joe Pearson. Last week. Current time way Flour goes on record saying that he is wanting to play for the All Blacks. He played for Tonger at the twenty twenty three World Cup, so it wouldn't be eligible until the back end of twenty twenty six, a long way to go. And he certainly signs some really good signs that he's a promising footballer and has some real quality about him. But having played for Tonga, was this what the rule was brought in for? And would you support it? If you know? Sc Robertson comes knocking next year.
Speaker 2: It's no idea, was it.
Speaker 4: You want players to play for their heritage, and the fact he has played for Tonga you would hope that that would continue. But we have discussed the iniquities in test rugby, and I think for most Pacific Islanders, I don't want to generalize here speak for individuals, but there is an elevated prestige that comes with the all blacks. A certainly opens a lot more doors to securing your financial future. So by all means individuals can do as they choose. But in an ideal world where you could make everything equitable, these guys play for their home nations.
Speaker 3: The rule is in the rule Boox. You know, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it necessarily. It's happened, you know, Frank Buntz in the nineties. I think a Lumbit had admired did it as well. When the rules are a bit more loosened than they are now. And even these rules have been loosened from what they were previously, it's not ideal. I still think having completed a three year standdown, you're entitled to go play for who you want. And yeah, I don't know that you go from you can only go from tier one down to tear two. I don't think you can lock that in going from Ted. You know, you couldn't say you can only go down, you can't go up. So it's not what the rule was brought in for. But he's a special case in many ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The other question is around Moana's purpose, right, So is it just a vehicle for the All Blacks to cherry pick their best players or are they really benefiting Tonga and some more?
Speaker 3: Well, look at their rules, don't they that they're allowed three All Blacks? But then they've got a number of other plays who are eligible for the All Blacks and are eligible for multiple countries. Levi Moore, who's no longer with them, played for He's think eligible for four countries. It was another examle We've go a number of players who are eligible for the All Blacks but have Pacific Island heritage. And I think that's the thing around what makes New Zealand so unique and special is that we have that strong connection to the Pacific and people are proud of multiple heritages, and because we are still so close to them in terms of geographical nature, it is possible to go and play for them and have these mixed that mixed heritage that makes New Zealand great and makes wite A Pacific great and makes these teams great. So I don't think you can cap it and go, well, you can't be eligible for the All Blacks because then they're losing a lot of players.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a vexed conversation, isn't it. Because you have other players like Miracle Vai Lungy who was plucked from samo On Club Rugby essentially and has come in and been a roaring successful Muana and he will go back and strengthen Samoa and there are other examples of that. So Miana is strengthening those island nations. It's just there is something that doesn't feel quite right about Miana being used as a vehicle for the All Blacks.
Speaker 3: Topic number four. Ian Foster back in international rugby coaching. He's going to coach the Australian New Zealand Invitational team that will play the British and Irish lines a week out from the first Test, so they're probably going to play shadow test team in Adelaide. That was announced last week that Ian Foster is going to be back in the reins.
Speaker 2: Yea a chet to him, didn't you.
Speaker 3: He did have a chat with him, jumped on too zoom and had a chat that was Fuzzy Bear. It was good. He's looking forward to picking. I think primarily the New Zealand based players will get will mostly be Japanese players, maybe players he's got connections to previously.
Speaker 2: Him and Steve Hanson might be out of a job come the end of the season. There Toyota teams.
Speaker 3: Not going to flatter I or they're lost on the weekend as well. I mean, who ideally is going to form the basis of this Australian New Zealand team, Probably around the vicinity of sixty to seventy percent Australians by the sound of it, and they'll be wide to Wallaby squad members you would expect maybe Michael Hooper comes back for it. But who would you have there is dream New Zealand targets.
Speaker 4: Well, Fuzzy dropped a few big names, didn't he. Aaron Smith, Richie mo Wonger, Nathan Cleary.
Speaker 3: That was I'm not sure the Panthers were releasing from around whatever it is of the nral To.
Speaker 4: I'd be shocked to see that happen. It would be great to see Joe Marnhu in that team. I think there'd be a lot of interest in that, particularly in Australia. I think there would be a desire from Aaron Smith and Richie Warner to play in that fixture. They can't play international rugby as it stands, and they are still competing still in particular, still still got it. And the big question for me is there's there's going to be need that there will need to be some big sums of insurance because these guys rich and along is on upwards of two million a season with Tshiba and his Someone's going to need to ensure him.
Speaker 3: How does it work when South African players go back and play for their country from Japanese they must be ensured, I would guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess they have to release them, don't they because it's a regulation.
Speaker 3: They don't have to release these players because it's an invitational teams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I guess when they signed them it would be on the proviso that they're not playing international rugby. So I think there would need to be a deal broken. From a spectacle point of view, great, the more quality former international players you can have in that team, the better. When this ficture was announced, people talked about all Blacks being involved, and that was never going to happen because it clashes with the All Backs playing France. And so then you're looking at second tier, well not second to you're looking at super rugby players potentially who but even then are they going to be released from MPC teams at that time?
Speaker 3: Well, July and then it's two weeks out, three weeks out from the start of the NPC, you know, pre seasons and full swing there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe you could get a Shan Stephenson who's possibly going back to Japan.
Speaker 3: Well, you might lean up Foster, might lean on some of those connections, you know with all Blacks that he had that are no longer being selected by the All Black like Christie for example.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's going to be a barbarians type team, is it? And I think they'll play that way. So it should be a hell of a spectacle. And it would be great to see Aaron Smith and Richard Wonger link up because from a viewing point of view, we don't get to watch Japanese rugby.
Speaker 3: Nobody has the rights to I think it's on rugby passon. You get one game a week and it's their peckers to who you see.
Speaker 4: So it's a very interesting plot line to see who who in Foster can ken Dragon.
Speaker 3: The Penrith Panthers play the paramount of Eels that weekend. They probably don't need clearing to get past the Eels. So maybe maybe Fozzy can get on the phone to Ivan and just work out some sort of deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brad Thorne's not coaching.
Speaker 3: It's still right, all right, let's get into our tepic Liam, shocking weekend for you. Thanks one of five. You picked the Chiefs correctly, everything else wrong, remembering that we picked everything diametrically opposite last week.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm just trying to give you a chance this year. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Too many beatdowns, Yeah, reads Crusader's task Force, Thank you very much. Four or five. I have the lead by four nineteen versus fifteen. Who do you picked this week? In our first four game round? Liam? And it starts on Friday night? Hurricanes, Waratars Love and gold Sport and iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, no, everyone's missed the Hurricanes.
Speaker 4: So great to have the cane train back and I'll be steamrolling the Waratas and Wellington.
Speaker 3: I can't see the Wartars winning that one, despite the fact they did get over the Brumbies. Rumbies into the Highlanders. Hard place to go on Camber, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes, tough one, but Brumbies for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to pick the same on that front. Crusaders, Mona pacifica christ.
Speaker 4: I am feeling a strong connection to Moana this year, but look from a tipping point of view, going to have to.
Speaker 3: Well, I can't go against Okay, we're all the same. Red's Force will.
Speaker 2: Be cheering hard for Moana.
Speaker 3: Just for the record, please don't Red's Force Brisbane reads.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Force, It's not going to get you much in the multi force.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, all right, upset time blow Dollie and the boys are going you look at the way they played against the.
Speaker 2: Drawer last night and Lea McDonald do you trust that's right?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Always have always Well Rugby Direct m VP Metal voting time. Let's go rook at the table Actually na way out on top. On eight there is a five way tie for second. Ardie save Quinti, Pie Will, Jordan Duplessy, Confi and Damian McKenzie and what make that seventh alone in seventh's miracle Fi Lungey. So there's your top three ish as it stands my top three this week, I'm going first, Liam, you are any more? And Nonu the Crusaders hooker. Thought he was excellent on the weekend, remembering that he is the third choice hooker for the Crusaders with George boll out, Cody Taylor ruled out during the week, Brody Mcalster left in the off season. He's taken his opportunity and taking it really well. So he gets my three points. David HARVILLI gets my two thought he was really positive as we've touched on before. And Gideon Rampling from the Chiefs, who I thought was electric in midfield, especially that first half, gets my one point.
Speaker 4: This week we'll got the same one and two just on the Crusader's hooker. Another one that you've recruited from outside your region. Smart recruit good counties, boy, so recruit maybe produce some of your own for a change in well.
Speaker 3: You know, James Mullens from the Kanbury region has gone up to Auckland, so it's all about sharing it around.
Speaker 2: Nice Auckland products.
Speaker 4: There's been many of them over the years, Non Berryman RP norm and in one point I'm giving to Peter Humung and Jensen great scend back on the park and long way that continue.
Speaker 3: So we've got the same two and three, same big weekend for the Crusaders. That special from you to see that limb.
Speaker 2: Ah yes credit weird credits too, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, absolutely right. That'll do us for another week of Rugby direct. I thanks to Larson Bars English for putting us together, and thanks of course to Abbit Health tackling all your aches and pains from sport and work.
Speaker 2: For more from News Talks ed B.
Speaker 1: Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio