Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks by.
Speaker 2: Yes I got a good old tune. Now look, Winston Peters has the Deputy Prime Minister, has just finished up with the New Zealand First thirty first a GM and Hamilton. The party members discussed well a truckload of things, from reliable energy to the future of the country and even the future of them zwed that we got a bit of that yesterday. It's the first AGM since they joined the coalition and formed the government almost a year ago. It sounds like a lot of ground was covered. I caught a little bit of Winston Peter's speech, which is just concluded. I don't mind telling you it was pretty entertaining and Deputy Prime Minister and New Zealand First Leader Winston Peters. Winston Peters joins me, now, good.
Speaker 3: Afternoon, Good afternoon.
Speaker 2: Just quickly looked like you're having great time up there.
Speaker 3: Well meeting we go between other people there, that's huge. Yeah, no room stating room only and out the door. So yeah, we were very very pleased.
Speaker 2: I didn't manage to catch the whole thing, but I've read a lot of information about it. But you seemed to spend cool reasonable amount of time having a crack at labor. Are you making a play for the some of the more traditional.
Speaker 3: Voters representing they're working people of this country, who are after all, all sorts of people. They're the businesses, they're in manual jobs, they're all got the same struggle on and sort of resenting they're elitist and they've forgotten who they're meant to be talking about.
Speaker 2: You had also talked a lot about some of the international success stories, maybe the smaller countries. I think it was Ireland, Croatia, and you know, the success that they have experienced, especially Ireland, I think, given the terrible conflict internally they had and now they've turned themselves around generally, what are the lessons we can learn from countries like that?
Speaker 3: Well, that's a harvest do you ask that question? Because look, Ireland was when I first went there, a very very poor country and their biggest export were highly educated young people going to some other country, and they in a short time became the Celtic Tiger with some sound policies to attract investment, new industries, new jobs, and new wealth. And they were just duplicating what Taiwan had done, and what Singapore had done, and what other countries wisely had doing now like Croatia free from the chapels of communism, and it's taken off. And so I'm saying, why are we standing here not learning from them and doing things that we used to be the world leaders of when we were number one?
Speaker 2: What specific lessons do you think about from those countries that you'd love to bring into New Zealand.
Speaker 3: Well, they recognized that they were going to go nowhere with their own resources, with their own people unless they get some assistance. But their businesses say will start up there because they understand what business needs. And so they have answerd the question why Ireland, Why Singapore? Why now Croatia? And we haven't both answered that question. We've been trapping an ideological extremist view that tacticians should be neutral and it should not pick winners. And yet we've had Rocket Lab, which is the fourth biggest company putting rockets into the air into the stratosphere. Now in the whole world, we can be a much better country if we picked the white people to back and add Baldy on the way through her.
Speaker 2: Guests, Speaker Australian senator just enterprise. You said the West can't win wars of children are taught to be ashamed of their countries. Is that a problem we've got here?
Speaker 3: It was a very very good speech on her part, and she was talking about, you know, basically, there are some good things in every country and some bad things. Well picked the big things in our past and make them alive again. And she made a very very powerful speech about the need for people to be trained to be, and for good reasons, proud of their country. We used to be, you know, when we were much younger. You'd hardly get off a boat, usually where people are going by boat, and you'd be asked what do you think of New Zealand And you hadn't been here for five minutes. That's how proud we were. And now we're not being proud because we've got not so much to be proud of. So let's make our country proud again by following the right policies.
Speaker 2: What do you think the biggest obstacle to New Zealand's success is?
Speaker 3: Broadly speaking, it's in practical ideology. It is a lack of common sense. When I see what Lequan you did, with a country, an island country, the size of Lake tarp or low resources. It is really the result of genius. But at the time he was starting that out, we were helping him with the offshore aid program called a Columbo plan. Why do we lose sight of what we were good at and why do we end up, for example, instead of exporting milk formula baby formula at our top price, we were exporting milk powder. See what's wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a lot of energy talk. What's your plan New Zealand fiest plan for energy security going ahead?
Speaker 3: Well, we've got a transition period and we've got the resources, but we need to understand as we transition to the changed economy, we will need extraction to get there. And you know Norway as a famous country for environmentalism and for sound policies, they have significant extraction. So has Iceland. So these Nordic countries leaving the world in terms of environmental policy and sustainability have an extraction plan, which we have in political parties being totally opposed, totally opposed to frustrating in the extreme. There's no way we can deliver what we're going forward to in the future unless we do have extraction.
Speaker 2: I just you mentioned made a comment that came out of the intra islander could run for another twenty years. Have we been distracted by headlines where they've had a bit of bad luck? Is there really now the twenty years in those vessels?
Speaker 3: What are was saying to them? And it's more explained in today's paper. I was saying, if they leave me Zald go for another fifteen to twenty years, because they're not useless in that context, but quality, en upgrade of maintenance is required to keep them going. First of all, we were told that they were finished in twenty twenty six. Now now we talked last three twenty nine. And my argument is, how do you know that when you were put to the test by international shipping experts, they will tell you otherwise. And I've been told otherwise by shipping experts.
Speaker 2: By the way, I deliberately didn't ask this question first because you mentioned that probably lead the news at six o'clock, but do you love a good heckle?
Speaker 3: Well what happened, and of course the media then started running like nobody's business sone hunder of people there about Scott ignored whilst they rushed out for a couple of protesters. Isn't that typical?
Speaker 2: Did they have a crack at you? Afterwards? Somebody mentioned to me that they tried to sort of accost you or something.
Speaker 3: What happened after the conference, Well, one try to cost me. I said, we had an appointment. I mean, I've got another meeting coming up and this interview now, And so I said, have you made a point? No, Well what makes you special? Everybody else is curious enough to bring up and say can I see it? And we have been famous for saying, yes, we see all sorts of people. And on the question of Palestine, I have met the Palestine in the governing parties. I have met the foreign minister from Egypt, from Jordan and other parts of the country, the Golf States and what have you. They have not met anybody. And so it's arrogance to say that we don't care. Of course we can. We've got five with a record of doing then there one off protests, which, as I say, they'll regard what they did. There's a hard day's work.
Speaker 2: Look, so you've obviously, I mean we've seen the images of the conference and the party faithful and your your MP's and ministers. So they'll have just loved the conference and they'll have taken away probably a lot of detail. But for the average punter, the average key we who will read a bit about out on the news on in the paper, what do you want them to take out of the New Zealand First Conference.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a name putting in his Zealand and the Landers First is back and stronger than ever and that huge men to day when we couldn't find enough chairs and people had been locked out because they've got rules here to do with fire safety and what have you. They'll be going away thinking well we'll be back to Bay Party at least, and now we're to get much more stronger support going forward.
Speaker 2: What's your next big challenge for the party.
Speaker 3: To wrap up a serious year around the provinces and all the way to Christmas and then, to tell you the truth, you get ready for a decent break because we haven't had one for a long time.
Speaker 2: Excellent, Well, Winstone, I really instant Peters, I really appreciate your time this afternoon. Thank you very much, enjoyed the risty day. By right we'll be taking we'll be taking your feedback on that. I actually just want to ask a really simple question for you, based on the check now with Winston Peters. I watched quite a bit of the interview, sorry that the interview his speech, and he's pretty blim and good when he's on his feet and he's responding to Heckler's the reason I asked him if he liked the Hecklers. He come up with that line as soon as they got them out of the room. He says, that's their idea of a good day's work, and I did laugh out loud. I thought it was quite funny, regardless of whether you agree with the protests or not. But I just want to ask a really simple question because it's based on probably my own experience with Winston. He is something to me. You could say he's a bit of a political chameleon. He would probably say he's never changed. He's the same all the time. But when he was campaigning for the to be in government during the election campaign, I don't like him very much, and I didn't like a lot of his rhetoric, and I got a bit bored with the having the crack at the media, although you know, we all have our own cracks at our own industry as well anyway, But since he has been in government. I have to say I like him. I'm impressed with him as our foreign minister, as our deputy prime minister, and I'm not sure my mind has been changed permanently, but I think Winston is doing great job and probably out of the two coalition partners. I mean, actors certainly had some good moments as well, but I would say Winston, New Zealand Fest Rock and Rolling. Of course, they've had their negative side of things as well. I don't think Casey Costello has been doing a particularly flash job. That's probably an understatement. I think she's been absolutely dreadful.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to News Talk z'd be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio