Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident Builder podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from US Talks it by helping you get those DIY projects done right. The Resident Fielder with Peter Wolfcamp call eight hundred eighteen eighteen US Talk said, be.
Speaker 2: The house sizzle even when it's dark, even when the grass is overgrown in the yard, and even.
Speaker 3: When a dog is too old to barn, and when you're sitting at the table trying not to starve, sissor hole.
Speaker 4: Even when we are ben gone, even when you're therellone house sizzle hole, even when even when you go around from the ones you love, your mom screams bording pains being in fund.
Speaker 2: Locals er when they're going leaving theirs, even.
Speaker 5: When we'll be.
Speaker 2: Even when you're in there alone.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and a very very good morning and welcome along to the Resonant Builder on Sunday. You with me Peter wolf Camp, Resident Builder, and we are talking all things building and construction, lots and lots happening in that space at the moment, and especially in terms of legislation. We'll go into it a little bit more detail later on. You know, change of government feels like it's a little while ago now, lots and lots of talk about we're going to make things more efficient, We're going to make some changes, we're going to make it quicker, easier, faster, to build houses more affordably, etc.
Speaker 7: Etc.
Speaker 6: And in fact, a couple of quite big announcements that came out on Friday. So I've got the press releases and we can have a look at some of that detail. Now, maybe those things are actually of little importance to you. Perhaps you're struggling along trying to get a job done around the house, a practical type of job where maybe you're trying to finish fixing some squeaky floorboards, or perhaps you're looking to upgrade the extraction from your bathroom, which is exactly what I'm only saying that because that was my task last couple of days. The old ceiling fan had finally given up the ghost. It wasn't terribly effective. This is the extraction from the bathroom. It wasn't terribly effective. To be blunt, I didn't do a great job installing it in the first place. So I found a replacement which was the same size, which is good. It had a slightly different arrangement, which means I needed to redo the ducting and I needed to redo the exit point out of the building as well, so old house one hundred and twenty odd years of dust up there. It was hot yesterday. It was hot the day before as well, so it was nice thirty eight degrees, nice brisk thirty eight degrees up inside the roof space. And excuse me, by the time you get out to the outside edge there's not a lot of headroom there either. Anyway, it got done and I was delighted with that. Albeit, yeah, anyway, it was a bit dry and dusty up there, but that's my job done. Yesterday, wrapped up at about I don't know, five thirty quarter to six something like that, just in time for dinner. So if you are working away on a project and it's maybe it's going well, or perhaps it's not going particularly well at all, and you'd like to talk about it, this is the show for you. So all things building, construction, regulations, the legal side of it, what you can do, what you can't do, where to go and find the correct answers. In fact, I was at I had to go and pick up some taps yesterday as well, went into Chesters Plumbing and we got talking about tile showers. Tile showers seemingly are a bit of a nightmare in terms of compliance. All well and good when you're doing it from scratch, but in terms of can you do a tile shower without a building consent as sort of an alteration to an existing bathroom, I think the short answer is you always need a consent for that. But in reading more about it, I've found some information that goes well, actually, if it's a certain type of tile shower, maybe you don't. We could go into that detail as well. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, let's rip into it. It is coming up just gone eleven minutes after six on. Actually it was quite a pleasant Sunday morning, certainly, getting a little crisper out there in the morning. Car's got a bit of dew on it when I jumped into the truck this morning. And the days are just a little bit shorter, and I think daylight saving ends a couple of weeks away. Something like that's not too far away. So if you're thinking about doing outside jobs, now is probably the time to get cracking. Or perhaps your attention has already turned to some of those indoor tasks that you'd like to get sorted out. We can talk about all things inside outside, under the floor, up on the roof, inside the roof, where I spent a decent couple of hours the last few days, or any other building construction related issues that you would like to discuss. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number nine two nine two is the text number. That's zbzb off your mobile phone. And if you'd like to send me an email, you are absolutely welcome.
Speaker 7: To do that.
Speaker 6: It's peaked at Newstalks. It'd be dot co dot NZ. A little later on the show, a story that was kind of well did it make headlines that might be overstating it to be fair. It popped up during the course of the week around an application by a developer, Kirkpatrick Group and Auckland to develop a eleven story mix of retail and commercial space so shops down below, offices up above on a fairly prominent site on Auckland's K Road. The pretty much the end of K Road near where it meets was it New North no Great North Road?
Speaker 8: And is it Great Norroad?
Speaker 6: New North Road, Great North Road and Potsbury Road and Newton Gully around that area there it's the old site for those of you who might have had motorbikes in the past. It's where the old Coleman Suzuki was up on K Road and the developer had proposed an eleven story building, which is not insignificant, but it had a couple of unique features. It was going to be a mass timber building, so I celt or something similar, which is cross laminated timber. It was going to have a very high ecological rating, so it's a Green Star six rated building. It's in an area where you know, we've just spent four and a half almost five billion dollars building a railway line that will encourage mass transit. It's walking distance to the train station, these sorts of things, and well it's a little bit of a walk, I have to say, it's not like it's right round the corner. Anyway. The building went into Auckland Council. It goes because it's a notifiable building. It went to the planning committee. They sought submissions from people and they ended up deciding that it wasn't the appropriate type of building for that area. There was concerns about its scale, about its appearance on the skyline, et cetera, et cetera. So they've turned down planning permission for it, and I kind of read through the article. It seems that Chris Bishop, member of Parliament, also read that article and talked about insanity and absurdity and the ridiculousness of the planning thing and why the RIMA Resource Management Act needs reform, et cetera, et cetera. I think a number of other people said this is absurd and then out of the blue, someone involved in it who's been on this show before, Hamish Firth, sent me an email as well, going, hey, your thoughts on this. We had some email correspondence. I thought, ah, let's chat about it and just in general terms, what happens with these large, significant developments, what the planning processes, Who the planning committee are. I'm curious to know as to how they get appointed to these roles and what happens when they make a decision that perhaps you will be appealed or needs to be appealed. That might be a little bit subjective, but we can talk about that. So Hamish Firth from Mount Holpson Group, who, as I say, happened he's been on the show regularly as an expert, but he also is involved on behalf of the developer in this particular case. So I'm not going to lobby for or against it, but I'm always interested to see how these things work out in terms of you know, a development lad this goes to council for planning approval, could be anywhere in the country. Sometimes it gets permission and sometimes it doesn't. And what do you do afterwards. So we've been talking with Hamish about that after eight o'clock this morning, but right now it is the perfect opportunity, given that you're all up and about and thinking about the jobs that you want to get done today. Either like I say, under the house, in the house, on the house, outside the house, inside the house. You tell me what you're up to, we'll talk about it. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Call us now.
Speaker 1: Measure twice God was, but maybe call Pete first, feed your wolfgab the resident builder news.
Speaker 6: To lines are open if you care to call, and a trust that you will. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number to call. Quick text hey Pete, enjoy the show. Unfortunately I can't ring because I'm busy milking. I think this person is a regular contributor. I often get the tagline busy milking, which is fair enough, wondering about your thoughts on how to attack our house that isn't level. The main issue is that there is very little room between the floor and the ground. It has both totra piles and concrete ones, as it must have been added on to at a later date. Whatever the solution is, I don't imagine it'll be that cheap. You're probably right, and you know typically if you can get in underneath the house, then you know and safely do so too, because it's quite a process to repile a house. Obviously, you need to hold the house up, which generally involves lugging in lots of what look like short sleepers. So STIs building up piles underneath the house, jacking the house up level, supporting it so you can remove the existing piles, digging a new hole where there might just have been. In this case of it's totraal ones, they would have just been sort of not even driven into the ground. They would have dug a small hole, pop the totra post on top of it, and then trimmed it off level with where they wanted the bearers to go. And that would have been it, and they would have sat there for years. And I've pulled out some that when they come out, they kind of look like a rotten tooth, you know. They're just like a V shaped where they've rotted around the outside, and eventually they rot to the point that the house starts to subside. So if you've got those old toutraal matti piles like that, you'll need to pull those out, dig down, require depth probably four fifty to six hundred deep, hang a new tennelized pile there, and then pump in concrete in there. Now, all of that you can do if there's sort of five six hundred millimeters underneath the bearer. Anything less than that that gets quite challenging. I suppose. The other option is you look at getting the whole house lifted to redo the piles and then drop back down, or the house ends up being at a higher level. If there were lots of existing piles and the movement was quite within let's say one hundred millimeters, you can block and chock. I'm sure there's a slightly more technical term than that, but typically it just involves leveling the house and cutting little blocks on top of your existing piles, strapping those down in a way that means the house is still secured to the piles. And that's basically it. You can chock and block if you can get in there, and it can be no more than one hundred millimeters, and I think there might even be a regulation around how many sort of chock and blocks you can do. You know, not every single pile in the house can be cut or can have a block and certain in the top of it. So those are your options. But if it's really really low to the ground, in some cases I've seen it and had to do it myself over the years, cut the floor out and work from there and then sort of reinstate everything. But that's when the cost really starts to ramp up. So the yeah, a couple of issues. Therefore you good luck with that, and good luck with the milking. This morning. Another text that's come through. I made the comment about tile showers. I've it should be simple, shouldn't it. It should be relatively straightforward. If you are doing an alteration. Let's say you've got an old The classic example is, you know, typical sort of nineteen sixties nineteen seventies bathroom will have if it's a complete bathroom with a toilet of vanity and a bath and maybe a shower over it, you want to rip that out and you want to install. You're going to upgrade it. You want to tile the shower tile, the floor tile, the shower enclosure.
Speaker 8: And so on.
Speaker 6: You're not adding any the number of sanitary fittings, which is a trigger for a building consent. You're simply keeping the shape of the room. But you're going to change a bath over a shower to a tile shower. And does that automatically trigger the requirement for a building consent? And as soon as you talk about showers, you talk about waterproofing, and typically that requires a building consent. Except when you go through and read the Building Act E two, I think it is control of internal moisture. It starts to talk about tile showers and then it refers you to the Waterproofing Association of New Zealand Guide steps three through six or something like that, and it says if you comply with that, if you do it as per those standards, it's deemed to be compliant. And there it talks about having hob I know, this gets all incredibly technical and a bit boring to be fair, but though that's what I've sort of got to with my reading. Actually, when I was in it Chester yesterday we were talking about tile showers, and again, you know, if you're in a situation where you're selling plumbing fittings and someone says, do you think I need to consent with that? It puts the people in the store in quite a challenging position. What's the advice and their advice. The conversation I had yesterday was, look, go back and talk to your local council about it.
Speaker 8: It should be a little bit.
Speaker 6: More straightforward than that someone's text through. Anyway, Good morning, Pet, I hope you will thank you. I am as I believe it is. In the Mbie determination zero five to four concluded that you can replace an acrylic wall lining with a waterproof tile without a consent as long as the shower tray is not tiled. Yes, that may well be true because typically if you've got a crylic shower base, it'll have an upstand, and I guess the really critical part is often that is an area where it leaks. Right, if you've got a tiled floor and a tiled upstand, that ninety degree bend from flat to vertical is where you may get some leakage. So if you've got a tile in acrylic shower tray with an upstand and your tiles come down over the top of that, it's less risk. Plus the waste is more easily formed. You're not worried about how water actually gets into the waste and where the water that gets through the tiles and sits on the waterproofing is still actually directed into the waste. I'll go and have a look at that. I have spent when I've got time, a little bit of time reading determinations, So you can go to the INBI website and read through determinations about when there has been a dispute between let's say a builder or a homeowner and council about issues of the building code, you can apply to MB for a determination. It goes to the specialist team. They review it and decide whether the work is compliant with the building code or not. What was the one that I was reading the other day, Oh, I was searching for stuff on tile showers. I don't know if it was determination zero five to four, but I'll certainly go home.
Speaker 8: And look at that.
Speaker 6: During the course of the week, right your opportunity. I've said enough your time to talk. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. What's on your mind? What are you trying to get done? What are the challenges out there right now around your place? Jobs that you'd like to get done? How to get them done? Eight hundred eighty ten eighty Call me out you doing on.
Speaker 9: The house, sorting the garden?
Speaker 1: Ask Pete for ahead the resident builder with Peter Wolfcap call oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 9: News Talks EDB you.
Speaker 6: And News talk Z'B lines are open for you right now on eight hundred eighty ten eighty. You can text as well as a couple of people have already done this morning. Nine to nine two is bz BE And if you'd like to send me an email, you are more than welcome to give me a call on that one. I was just listening to that little promo during our ad break there talking about the building Minister Chris Penk and his references to building consents and the time that it takes to get those. So the press release that came out, when was it twenty first? Okay, so Friday. I don't know if it's great releasing these sorts of things on a Friday, but new annual data has exposed the staggering cost of delays previously hidden in the building consent system. According to Building and Construction Minister Chris penk he quotes I directed the Building Consent Authorities the BCAS, to begin providing quarterly data the last year to improve transparency, followed repeated complaints from tradespeople waiting far longer than the statutory twenty days for a building consent. For the first time, we have a consistent nationwide data proving statutory frameworks masking problems. Councils are stopping the clock on applications by requesting additional information, extending the processing time beyond the official twenty working day's target. The complete data for twenty twenty four paints a stark picture. Two thirds of applications required a request for information or an RFI, adding an average of nearly twelve extra days to processing time. That's twelve more days of projects. Stalling time is money for our Tradees and officials estimate a twelve day working or twelve working day delay because of an RFI could cost around four thousand dollars per dwelling last year, forty ninety four three hundred and sixty two applications triggered an RFI. So that's from Minister. I'm happy to talk about this as well, and it's the timing all the time is interesting. We've been waiting in terms of the sector. We've been waiting for this for a little while as to see what's going to happen. Of course, telling us what we already knew might not be that useful. Most people who have submitted a consent have kind of wondered, you know, why didn't I get my building consent in twenty days? What in the next few months. I'm just reading more from the press release. In the next few months we will finalize decisions on major initiatives to speed up the process. These include streamlining inspections, enabling trusted builders to sign off their own work, restructuring the bcas the building consent authorities to ensure that they're fit for purpose, and adopting a more balanced approach to liability for defective work. I have to say that within that particular power, that's an enormous amount of potential changes to the way that building regulations are administered and the way that we go about I suppose providing the compliance pathway for construction work in New Zealand. There's a lot in that. If you're a tradee, if you're a developer, if you're a homeowner waiting for a building consent to be issued for let's say, an alteration for a bathroom, this will impact on you. I will ensure that we get the Minister on the program the next couple of weeks to talk about this and sort of drill down through it.
Speaker 7: But it's.
Speaker 6: I guess what the counter to this is if plans require RFIs if councils sit down and they're looking through the plan and they have to they have to send it back to the architect or architectural designer whoever, the LBP that submitted it, the design LBP who submitted it, for further information. The implication out of this feels like it's council's fault that the plans aren't right, Whereas I just wonder whether there's a flip side to this, or there's an alternative alternate to this particular issue as well, where you go maybe the quality of the plans that are being submitted for building consent are not that good, or our council being too risk averse and not how do I phrase this properly? I guess it's it's around you know, do you? Yes, you have to put every single detail now into a set of plans in order for it to prove compliance with the code. Look, I just and I said this the other day at a sort of group of building professionals. In fact, there was some council people involved in that as well. You know, I built a house. It was a labor only contract that I had with my mate Dan. We were we got we put in a labor only price to I don't think we had to do the slab, but we did everything from the slab up right. So we nailed the frames together, pot the trusses on, did the cladding, put the windows in, did the jib, did the finishing line. So typical three bedroom house, maybe one hundred and twenty squares, And the plans for that I've still got. I've got a copy of the plans. They're in a file of old plans and I think there may be four or five pages right of plans sufficient to build a house in nineteen ninety one, ninety ninety two, and today I would suspect that if you submitted a set of plans for a building consent for a similar type of house, it would be I don't know, fifteen pages of plans of details right cross sections, elevations, details of window flashing, sell flashing, side flashings, junctions.
Speaker 8: Etc, etc.
Speaker 6: Etc. So have we made it too complex in terms of what council need to know in order to build a relatively straightforward building? Or flip side to that is, are the quality of the plans that are being submitted to council so poor and people are leaving out details that they know they should include, And that's why councils have to come back and go, we don't think this is going to work. You need to give us more information. Hence the RFIs a couple of texts that have come in. Councils are using the RAFI process to extend time. We used RFI to manage workloads and workflows when I worked in that role. So yeah, look, and that's the sense I think that most people have is that if council or the people doing the processing are a little it under the pump or they're under resourced, then the quickest way to give themselves a bit of extra time is to pop out an RFI, and some of the rifis I think are and I'm sure I've told this story. I'll tell the story a little bit later on about an RFI that I made of mine got with regard to double glazing. But it's probably an extraordinary example, but I know that it's absolutely true. Right Oat, let's get into it. Twenty three minutes away from seven o'clock, Sandy, A very good morning. Good morning, Hey there, how are you doing?
Speaker 10: Good thing? So I got a question about my sense. It's a concrete block sense which the neighbors have built.
Speaker 9: Yes, wow, it's a really great sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was going to say that's awesome because.
Speaker 10: I know on their side, I haven't seen it, but they've done something like plane it off or something and then paint it. Oh yeah, I can I leave it or that need to be painted? I like the way it looks. I like the plain sort of gray color. Is there a disadvantage to leaving it like that?
Speaker 6: Not for something like a fence? Right? You know, if it was a building and we're concerned about you know, potentially moisture being absorbed into that and impacting on the interior environment, and that sort of thing we'd have a concern about it. But in terms of if you like the look of it, it will change over time. So one of the advantages to either painting it or sealing it would be that it prevents basically mold growth, right or moss and mildew and those sorts of things. Soft A wall like that left on its own, over time will darken and potentially you'll get basically like a it's not quite a mold, that is really a bit of will. But then, and in fact I was looking at I did some concrete retaining walls as part of garden landscaping at my own place about twenty odd year ys ago, and we plastered them and I just leave them natural, and it's a bit mottled and a bit this and a bit that, and that's all part of the character. So if you like that, it's great. If you wanted to take sort of a medium approach to it, I suspect what your neighbors have done if it's because it's quite an architectural finish is you hone the surface of the brick, So you use a grinder with a diamond blade and you just hone the surface, so it makes it slightly flat, but it also highlights the actual aggregates that are in there, right, and then put a sealer over the top of that. That's quite nice. I'm not suggesting you need to do the honing. You're welcome to, but you don't have to. But you could apply like a clear sealer over it, which will just mean that it sheds water a bit more and it will just give a little bit of protection to the surface from that organic growth.
Speaker 10: If you want to do what you do when you get to the ground level, Like, let's so you're painting, painting down, down, down, and then it's sort of sand dirt, do you know what I mean? How do you paint up to that line?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I suppose I would just go along maybe with a like the day before you wanted to seal it or paint it, dig it out, just dig it out a little bit, or rake it back and hose that down. So because eventually that wall will come down, and I would imagine today, is there a fairly wide and significant footing that the block wall sits on.
Speaker 10: I think so, because it's like a part retaining wall for.
Speaker 6: Them, Like, oh okay, so yours is higher, so they've excavated down. Yes, so yeah, can I ask then, I'm curious about these things. If it's acts as a retaining wall for their benefit, is the block wall on their side of the boundary, I would have no idea.
Speaker 10: I mean, I wasn't part of the surveying. They were paying for it all, So I'm just happy to have this great fense it's gone up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Because the reason I ask is that you know, if you imagine the line which is your boundary between you and your neighbor, because the wall acts as a retaining wall for their benefit at the lower at some sections of it, theoretically the entire wall should be on their side of the boundary, So you know, if you do a timber fence often will determine the boundary. We'll put the post smack bang in the middle, and then both people lose fifty sixty millimeters of their section to get the fence in. But in this case here the face that you see on your side I think should be on their side of the actual boundary line.
Speaker 10: It wouldn't surprise me if they have done that, because the composts been right up against the old fence, yes, and a now gap between that and the new sting. Wow, yeah, no, I think yeah, I certainly don't feel like they've done any wrong. But it's a great fence, so I'm happy again.
Speaker 6: I'm also curious about these things. So where where it retains, so where your property is higher than theirs. Did you notice when they were doing it, whether they put any drainage coil at the bottom, or you know there's scoria or waterproofing against the back of the wall.
Speaker 10: No, I didn't notice, to tell you the truth, Yeah, I know it was. It was like filled with concrete almost.
Speaker 6: The actual blocks themselves.
Speaker 10: Yes, I feel like they had you know, sort of lines up with concrete going down into the bricks.
Speaker 6: Yes, that'll be right, yep. Yeah. Back in the day we'd often just fill the cause that had the reinforcing in it, but increasingly the you know, we just grout all of the blocks.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: So, look, I have to say, given that I know kind of what the square meter rate for block work is, did they ask again, you don't have to tell me, but did they ask for a contribution from you for the fence.
Speaker 10: They contacted me, but they know my circumstances and they said, look, we'd love it if you could but there's no expectation. And I said, but I'd love to be able to but no, but yeah, I understand it cost around thirty five thousands.
Speaker 6: I was going to say, I mean, and again, interestingly enough, in terms of the Fencing Act, while they can enforce a contribution from a neighbor or from you, it's only.
Speaker 10: For a standard fence exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, wow, I mean, hey, look what a great neighbor.
Speaker 10: To be fair, Yeah, well I paid it the other way I want when I had small children.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there was a dangerous.
Speaker 10: Dog that lived over a very low fence next to me, and the landlord didn't want to make that sense higher and I was very confirmed about the safety, so I paid for the whole entire fens that time. So you know, yeah, yeah, anyway, Hey.
Speaker 9: Thank you so much pleasure.
Speaker 6: So look, there's not a definitive yes, you have to if you wanted to protect it, you could put a clear seala on it.
Speaker 12: You can leave itush.
Speaker 7: You might have to.
Speaker 6: If you use a really fluffy roller, it will be able to get into the grout lines because they're recessed slightly. Or you can go through do those with a brush first and then roll over the entire surface. But like I did some clear sealer on a project on Wednesday, and it's pretty easy to apply, just with a roller and you put it on, you let it saturate. You might give it a second code if you want to, but yeah, it'll that'll just keep the weather off it and stop it, you know, looking old quickly.
Speaker 10: Or would you just brush it off first.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just in terms of prepping it, because like at this time of year, you could even even if you don't have a water blast, even if you just gave it, you know, use the hose directly on it, maybe a soft broom to sort of scrub it down, let that dry for a day, and then apply the seal of the next day. That's that's enough preparation.
Speaker 10: To ring because I get lots of.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, hey, lovely to chat with you, all right, enjoy that block wall. That's fantastic. Take care, Bob. I'm curious about that because if if the wall is acting as a retaining then it definitely needs to be on the side of the boundary, and I think too all of the foundations should be on their side of the boundary as well, and ideally it should have some drainage behind there as well. Some people are suggesting a couple of clear seilers. I agree. Look, I think and you can get them. You know, they don't look glossy, they absorb in, they're almost a matte finish. But it will help just keep you know, the inevitable organic growth that mold and mildew that that rows on to expose surfaces at bay for a little time. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. I'll take a short break, but if you've got a question, you should call us now. We've got plenty of time. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. More than happy to take your comments. With regard to the announcement from Chris Pink, the Housing and Construction Minister Building and Construction rather Minister with regard to building consents, a couple of interesting texts coming in on that, including this one. I think Pink is being disingenuous here. As a former quantity server, the amount of time wasted chasing up information missing information was infuriating. Yeah, I wonder whether I wonder whether that potentially should have acknowledged the fact that a certain number of consents that are submitted are probably of poor quality and in order to execute their duties appropriately, they need to go back and say to the designer, hey, there's information missing here. You need to provide more information. However, the story I was going to tell you, so someone I know who was doing a reasonably innovative build, right, it was, it's not a standard go to three six o four and put a house together type build ended up getting I think after the first submission of their building consent plans something like a ninety seven individual RFIs. And part of that would have been because it was a complex and innovative build, and there would have been features in that house that wouldn't have been part of the standard building code, right, in which case it's fair enough that the consenting or the processing officer goes, hey, look, how's that going to work? How's that going to work? However, and this is increasingly common, one of the things that they will often ask for is a maintenance schedule. So, yeah, you're going to use this particular product or methodology, where's the maintenance schedule for it? In this particular RFI. And I swear to you this is one hundred percent true. One of the RFIs that came back was what is the maintenance schedule for the gas inserted into the double glazed units. Have a bit of a think on that. If you think about double glazing and you know how double glazing goes together, and these days, rather than just sort of air in it, we're often inserting argone or other gases into that space. And so the RFI from council was, how what's the maintenance schedule for the gas inside the double glazed unit? Ponder on that during the break. We'll come back in a moment whether.
Speaker 1: You're painting the ceiling, fixing with FEDS, or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall.
Speaker 9: Give Peter wolf gabbercall on the resident build up on you talk.
Speaker 6: We're taking your calls on eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. So and texts as well. They're coming in. But I love the chat, So eight hundred eighty ten eighty. If you want to talk about buildings, about ceiling around you know, I mean, look, a lot of it is around protecting what you've got right, So you know, the maintenance that we often talk about is I always tell a story about maintenance in terms of I got a phone call from someone one time and they said, oh, could you come around please, and we need to replace the window, as in, replace the opening sash. And what had happened is it was an upstairs window. It was a simple, you know, two sash window with a million in the middle. Both of them opened and they had been left slightly open, and the wind caught the sash, whipped it back against the building and pop the hinges, and so the entire opening sash fell out, crashed to the ground a story below, smashed into a couple of pieces, and the glass was broken and so on. So in order to repair that, I had to go measure the opening size, go to the joiner, get a new sash made, go to the glazier, get some new glass made, put some scaffolding up, go up, replace the hinges, fit the new sash, redo the hardware, get someone to paint it. So all of that, you know, it's quite a process. There's weeks involved in measuring, going to the joiner, going to the glazier, getting the painter on site, putting the scaffolding up, et cetera, et cetera. And in talking to the homeowner later on, she said, well, I had asked my husband if he could tighten the hinge because it's been loose for about three months or something like that, right, so you know, hinge gets a little bit loose, you can see it flapping around, and then you don't get that done. And look, we're all guilty of it. I've got a thousand things that I need to do, so I'm not pointing the finger at anyone, but it's that classic example of a little bit of maintenance delayed can cause much bigger problems. So that's why we do maintenance. Just quickly to answer the RFI story that I was telling you just before. So the house was complicated, it was unusual, It used a whole lot of building methodology that perhaps is not common and it's not found in the building code, but it had an approved compliance pathway. And so one of the RFIs was what's the maintenance schedule for the gas in the double glazed units? Now, if you know anything about double glazed units, they are installed in the factory. Sometimes they put argon in there because it's more effective, and that just sits inside the double glazed unit, right, and the double glaze unit is sealed, so there is no way back into the afterwards, I mean apart from the fact that the person that I know was flabbergasted that that was the question. They also in their reply to the ninety seven RFIs they got from council for their funky new build, they simply replied to number whatever it was, seventy six or whatever, that they would that it had a valve and they would pump it up as required. And that was their response to the RFI sufficient to say, I think the person realized that that was a bit of a foolish question. In the same way, look to be fair, I was doing a code of Compliance application and one of the RFIs that came back was, Hey, there's no detail about subfloor ventilation. It was a concrete slab on grade, right, So I don't need to provide information on ventilation to the subfloor given that there is no subfloor.
Speaker 8: So look at it.
Speaker 6: You know, I want to be fair to counsel. But at the same time, I think there is cases here where where perhaps the processing officers are asking questions about things that they should know, and then they're using the RFI as a way of getting around that. Right, We're going to talk about this a little bit more in the next hour. Join us now, oh eight hundred eighty ten.
Speaker 1: Eighty squeaky door or squeaky floor Get the right advice from Peter Wolfcare, the resident builder.
Speaker 6: On News Talk SEDB, You and News Talk SEB. We're talking all things building in construction. Welcome back to the show. If you've got a question, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Just before the news start to talk a little bit about I guess press release that came out from the Construction and Building Minister Chris Penk on Friday, this is sort of I guess new government comes in talks about wanting to make things more efficient, wants to speed up the build process. There was lots of figure is around. You know, it takes this many days from building consent to CCC. Can we shorten that up? I think one of the figures was it was like something like five hundred days from building consent to CCC. Then it identified the processing time for a building consent. So a lot of focus on Council bcas building consent authorities, how long it takes them to process a consent and is the delay? So they have a statutory requirement to process a building consent in twenty days. What typically happens, and almost everyone I know has had exactly this experience. Building consent gets submitted, the clock starts, and you know, around fifteen eighteen days after the consent is submitted, an email arrived saying hey, look we need this information, an RFI request for further information. And at that point, as soon as the email go out, as I understand it, the clock stops. So if it's day fifteen, then they go, right, we've stopped at day fifteen, and then they wait for the response from the designer or the architect the architectural drafts person to provide the information, and when it's received back, then the clock starts again. They start processing. So you know, if they're under you could argue that if you're under the pump as a processor, what you do is you flick off an email going hey, look I need more information on this, that and the other thing, and that gives you time to do other work while that consent sits there in a holding pattern until the RFI comes back. That's one way of looking at it. I guess the other way of looking at it is that you know, a consent is submitted, it's lacking in detail. Maybe there is some complex junctions that are not fully detailed. These flashing details that are not included. There might be waterproofing details, anything in the building consent and so the consent is incomplete and the processing officer can't say it complies with the code if those items are missing, right, in which case it's not actually the fault of council, it's the fault of the person who's submitted the plan. Is the quality or are the quality of the drawings less than optimal? You may have some thoughts on this. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty, we're going to talk installation. Good morning to you, carry How are you this morning?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Good?
Speaker 11: Peete yourself?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not bad?
Speaker 9: Actually yet cool?
Speaker 11: Hey listen, pete, I've got a late nineteen seventies unit.
Speaker 9: Yes, And on one of the lounge.
Speaker 11: Walls is also the garage wall.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 11: And she's a bit cool in the garage. And we've changed the tilted door to a sectional door, insulated. And I noticed that that war with the lounge felt a bit cool. So I peeled back some of the hardboard and had a look.
Speaker 7: There's no.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So I thought, do I take the hardboard off, insulate it, reline it, or is there anything that I can just put over the wall on the garage side to help insulate.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes there are if you wanted to. So there's the most commonly used product would be it's by Kingspan, So it's an insulated plasterboard. So if you imagine fifty millimeters of polystyrene effectively with a plaster board face so they're laminated together. You can simply fix that on and you'll get an our value. Off the top of my head, it might be our one point seven or something like that, right, But what will happen obviously is skirtings and scotias and door reveals. You'll have to extend those for the extra depth. So if you're prepared to lose some space in the garret, I know it's not much, but you will lose a little bit. Okay, that's one solution where that particular type of insulation works really well. Is typically all if you're going to retrofit insulation into an existing wall into as in remove lining, add insulation, that actually triggers the requirement for building consent in this instance here, because you're adding insulation to the face of it, you don't need to worry about building consent, so it's a completely compliant way of retrofiting insulation in your situation. Technically that wall between the lounge and the garage is the exterior wall of your building. I know it's completely interior, but in terms of how the building's designed, it's effectively an outside wall. So I wonder whether no, actually, I actually think in that case, you could remove the lining insulation into the wall and redo the lining without needing building consent because you're not worried about moisture into the wall because the wall is inside the building envelope.
Speaker 11: It's correct.
Speaker 6: You know, Look, I I suppose it's quite disruptive for the lounge if you had to pull all the lining off, install insulation into there, and then reline, you'll have to take skirtings off, Scotia's off, the dust and disruption of pulling the wall lining off. Then you've got to put a new lining on, stop painting and sign So you know, that's quite disruptive to the lounge. So if you worked on the other side, what about taking the lining off on the garage side, where it's probably easier to get to.
Speaker 11: You know, That's what I was a moving to.
Speaker 6: Okay, Sorry, yes, okay, so work from the lounge side, work from the garage side.
Speaker 5: Yep, yeah, it's got I'm guessing it's probably tempered hard boards. And then there's some building paper and so I cut a panel away and have a look, and I could see there's no insulation, and yeah, so I figured, do I strip that or do I just put something over the top like that kingspan.
Speaker 12: I think you said, yeah, look, I.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking when you do the numbers, you'd probably find that just stripping the lining off from the garage side of that wall, adding insulation and redoing the lining. And because it's a garage, you know, you could put plasterboard up and stop and paint it. You could line it in plywood, for example, and then it's you know, I mean, like it's inside the garage. It's quite handy if you've got tryboard or something like that as you're lining, because then you can fix your hocks for your rakes and extension cords and you know that sort of thing. It's a good opportunity for a bit of an upgrade.
Speaker 11: Really Yeah, yeah, well you stole my very thoughts.
Speaker 6: Ah, okay, yeah, look I what do I do the other day? I used triboard tongue in groove right, which is a four hundred wide panel, So it's tongue and groove. So it's easy to install because once you cut it at two four or something like that, it's quite manageable on your own. And it's fifteen mil thick, so it's quite robust. You can screw hocks into it and all the rest of it and then just paint that great well.
Speaker 11: I can probably also if I do that, I can probably get a better rating of product than the wall as well.
Speaker 6: You know, yeah, yeah, ideally, And you know, it's an opportunity maybe to run a couple of extra you know, if you wanted to get an electrician to come and put an extra power point in, or run you know, like a Cat six cable to the TV on the other side, all of those sorts of things. So you know, there is an opportunity to do other work when you've got that wall exposed.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and it just happens to be the wall that where the aerial wire is and where the all the other electric components that come into the home come along that wall as well.
Speaker 6: And you know, when you think about nineteen seventies, houses typically like in a you'll have one power point, right and you know modern living, we probably need a few more than that, so it's an opportunity to get the electrician in and to add a PowerPoint or you know, data excess and all those sorts of things. So yeah, and then you got a nice durable wall in the garage as well.
Speaker 11: Absolutely all right, my own space, I know what you mean.
Speaker 6: Oh fantastic. All right, buddy, all the best. You take care care of it. See there, it is just coming up sixteen minutes after seven. If you'd like to join us, well, give us a call right now. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. We're talking all things building construction, lots and lots of texts with regard to the sort of press release that came out. And I think Chris Pink did a couple of interviews, so I will reach out this week and see whether we can. We had Chris Pink came in. It was very good of them, I thought. So I approached through his office the minister, to go, hey, look I'd like to do an interview. You're the incoming construction and building minister. And he said, oh, look, I'll come into zid B during the week, we can record the interview and replay it on the Sunday. So I'll reach out again and get that underway, because there's a lot in that particular press release of what we think might come up. A couple of people have sent some texts, especially the comment around some builders being able to self certify. We'll unpack that a little bit later this morning. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty give us a call. The lines are open.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 6: Seventeen minutes after seven. Back with Matt after the break.
Speaker 1: Freak helping you get those DIY projects done right.
Speaker 9: The resident builder with Peta WOLFCAF call eight Talk ZB News.
Speaker 6: Talk ZB and we're talking with Matt. If you'd like to join us, eight hundred eighty ten eighties the number of morning Matt, Good morning, Hey.
Speaker 13: I have I have an old house like it's like from the nineteen fifties and there it's got like an iron up steel roof on top of it, and it's started with age of time like you, nobody can run away.
Speaker 11: From tom of it.
Speaker 7: Ultimate and set up.
Speaker 13: I'm thinking about it. How do I steal my roof paint? My roof paint is good, but what do you put on iron on middle roof. Roofing was kind of stew it like a tail, but mental anything like that. You can tape on your roof.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's one of those things that's become There's there's a lot of talk about it at the moment in terms of, you know, don't replace your roofs it, But it depends a little bit on what what the existing condition of the roofing is. Right, so, you know, like most things, it has.
Speaker 13: It's been my roof for twenty years, okay, so pretty dadd.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but look I've I've got a twenty year old roof too, and it's an okay condition, you know. So I think if if it's sound right, if there is solid yeah, there's there's not a lot of russ, there's you don't have issues with leaking and so on, and you're looking to protect that surface, then either a paint or a sealant over the top is a good option. It'll extend the life of the roof.
Speaker 13: I'm just sicking your advice. I'm thinking more sealant than than a lot's paint.
Speaker 6: Sure excuse me. Then it all comes down to preparation, right, So the contractor doing the work needs to ensure that y you want to do it yourself.
Speaker 12: A little lot cheaper.
Speaker 6: Yeah, true, there's obviously.
Speaker 12: From you have to go better.
Speaker 13: Say, if you do a job to once do it right a yep.
Speaker 6: Typically though these applications are sprayed on right.
Speaker 13: So now the kind of like kind of set up, I have no idea how to go better apart from that old number eight pin brush.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well that that won't Yeah, I don't think you'll find a product that you could apply yourself that will give you that finish right?
Speaker 13: So do I have to go like commercial customer based voice to get some piss and do it? But I'm just thinking just yourself. You know, you've a tradesmen in that that what would you apply to to to a middle root to still a roof that's twenty years old? Not paint that looks like a ceiling kind of thing?
Speaker 12: You pissed me?
Speaker 11: What kind of product would you.
Speaker 14: Get to my tea?
Speaker 6: I probably I don't know that I would do it right. I think that if the roof needed a coating, I would stick with paint. If it was in poor condition, I would probably look at replacing it. So if your roof is sound you can certainly clean it, apply the right primer and then do two coats of roof paint. You know, obviously if you're working, if you're working on the roof, you've got to be really conscious around safety in terms of making sure that you don't end up skating off the roof and landing on the ground. And then I've painted plenty of roofs, so yeah, you can do it. In terms of a brush on application for a seiler, I'm not sure that there's anything that I could could actually honestly recommend to you. Good luck with that though, and please be safe. That's the key to it all. The best to you, Matt oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call just talking about safety. Actually, so the job that I was doing yesterday involved replacing the extractor fan in the ceiling. Had the electrician come round on Friday just to check that the existing three pin plug. So these days often when you buy a new extractor fan, they actually come with fixed wiring and a three pin plug on it. So up in the roof space in this instance, there was an existing it had been wirened by the previous electrician three pin plug and because I had the electrician do a little bit of other few other jobs around the house. I said, can you just go up and test that plug, just to make sure that it's safe. So they go up with a little meg tool. I'm sure there's a more technical phrase than that, but I'm a chippy not a sparky. Anyway, tested it, it's okay. Plug the new fan into it, replace the ducting. Made sure that deducting ran as straight and as level as I possibly could across the ceiling. So I had to sort of move insulation aside and clear a path and all the rest of it. And then with an old house, I needed to go out over the top plate obviously, and then drop then have a bend and go down through the safit. Now, on an old house like mine, the safit is twenty mili thick caraie so and also this is often the track. Actually, this is a good one. I've seen this so many times, and people involved in ventilation or extraction see this all the time as well. So off the fan is one hundred mill port and then you have to extend that out to one hundred and fifty millimeter diameter, so round semi rigiducting which I ran out. But then when you get to the junction between the roof coming down to the top plate and the safit, you know, you there's just not enough space, right, There's not one hundred and fifty mil clear there. So sometimes people just squish the ducting down. So they take the circle and they kind of squish it down a little bit, turn it into an oval, and kind of bend it through that corner and hope that the airflow still goes out through the grill to the exterior. I ended up getting some so simics to a range of ducting, so I transferred from one fifty round to I think it's two hundred by ninety rectangular section, so it's got a transfer like a little adapter from round to rectangular. Then I had a short section of the ninety by two hundred ducting, so it's a similar volume to what you get in fifty one fifty round and then a ninety degree bend and that tucked neatly over the top of the top plate through the safe. I did have to cut a little bit of the there's like a board that runs round over the top of the ceiling joists on an old house at the raft land on. I did notch a little section of that out. Didn't make a great deal of difference structurally, but I needed to notch that out, and I needed to cut through the Safit obviously not with a whole sort, because I'm creating a rectangle out let. The reason I say all of this partly is that it's that way of doing it is the optimal way to ensure that you don't have any restriction on the airflow from the extraction. That's really important. And then the other thing that I did is I've got a little mobile scaff and took the time to go lug that round from the other side of the house put it up so that when I was doing the work measuring out the cutout in the safe, then using the drill to sort of pre drill it, then getting the multi tool out and cutting it out and all the rest of it, I could do that while standing on a platform, which is way more comfortable than trying to do it off a ladder. I mean we're talking, I don't know, to be four and a half five meters from the ground to the underside of the safe and trying to do that off a ladder. It's not terribly pleasant to work on, certainly not as safe and it just takes more time. So for the time that it's spent that it took me to take a little mobile scaff around there, set it up and do all of that, he just way safer. Hence my comment to Matt, if you are going to go up there and do work on your own roof, make sure that you do it safely as well. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Remember after eight o'clock, we're going to have a bit of a chat with genuine called Hamish Firth. He's been on the show before. He is a planner, a good old fashioned town planner as he describes himself, and so we've had him on the show to chat about boundaries and planning regulations and these sorts of things. I'm just going to get them on for a bit of a chat around what happens when applications for developments get turned down. The reason for that is currently in the news. Bit of a story about a quite modern, quite environmentally friendly, quite innovative building that was going to go up on k Road crang Ah Happy Road in Auckland went to the planners at Auckland Council and it got turned down. The building is too big, it doesn't maybe fit with the heritage. Da da da da dah. Now he's been involved in that directly, so acknowledging his interest in it. But it's looking forward to that chat with him around what happens when these sorts of consents, the applications for resource consent for the planning of these buildings gets turned down. So we'll do that after eight o'clock. But right now it is your opportunity to talk all things building construction. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty met twice God was, but maybe called Pete first be you Orcaf the resident builder news talk sa'd be.
Speaker 6: I'm sure this is slightly tongue in cheek, this particular text. What are the legalities are putting razor wire on a fence to keep people out of our industrial workplace?
Speaker 8: Please, it's a very good question, to be fair.
Speaker 6: Look off the top of my head, I don't know. I'm just wondering because it's not uncommon to see, you know, security fences that are topped with either barbed wire or not a lot of razor wire. Around to be fair or spikes. I wonder where the part of it would be. It would clearly need to be within your own boundary. Maybe it needs to be of a certain height. I do know if someone knows the answer to that, that'd be awesome. Oh this is interesting too. Code of ethics. There's a code of ethics for LBPS. So someone's taxed through. How does the lb ethics deal with an LBP defaming other members? An LBP designer has called a new immigrant LBP a cowboy and not a real builder, without having any evidence of his prior knowledge or prior knowledge of this person. And the person who's said this is Canadian, apparently, I'm not sure you'd have to take it to the LBP committee and have them decide on that. We're talking about RFIs and council and delays. So where a lot of this comes from is the when you submit a building consent, the building consent authority typically that your local council has a statutory obligation to process your building consent within twenty days. Now, the number of building consents that actually get processed within twenty days is relatively small. The Minister Chris Penk has gone to mby who have gone to the bcas to go. You need to tell us exactly the data on how long it takes you to process consents and that gives them some insight. So in the press release from the Minister, I directed the building consent authorities to begin providing quarterly data last year to improve transparency, followed repeated following repeated complaints from trades people waiting far longer than the statutory twenty days for a consent. For the first time, we have a consistent nationwide data proving statutory time frames are masking problems. Councils are stopping the clock on applications by requesting further information, extending the processing times beyond the official twenty working day target. So council will issue an RFI, they'll stop the clock. When they get the information back, they will then start the clock. If they then have a further request, they'll stop the clock and start again. So you know, if it RFI comes into the design, they need to look at it, they need to prepare a response, they need to submit it and then the clocks you know that might take. That's an extra week, right, We're going to get the Minister in to talk about this, but I do wonder whether are they ignoring the fact that sometimes plans are incomplete and they can't be processed based on the information provided. And that's of no, that's not the processing office's fault. That's the person who submitted it's fault. But lots of texts on this. It's quite interesting. And also someone has text through what defines a trusted developer when it comes to self assurance? Where is the independence of a review? As it is a as we know there are some reputable developments that have also had leaks. If that is the case, Can I also provide a building inspection report about the house that I'm selling from Gerardo? You can probably do that, but I think people would be unwise to accept it. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call Michael. Very good morning.
Speaker 15: How are you doing so?
Speaker 6: Yeah, very well?
Speaker 15: Say oh, well, I'm I'm waking up when you when you get past three quarters of a century quarter. But every morning is a bonus.
Speaker 6: Every morning is a delightful surprise.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Now I got a place that I think it's sixteenth or something. It's only a small, two bedroom place. I'm in Mongry and had hope and rail mesh fence all the way around it with a moan strip.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 15: And and I was the last house on the street. And they put another street down down, and the oh that's all been done quite a little while ago. Now when they did, Dad had got destroyed. And then Housing Corp. Brought the property next door to me and they they destroyed that, and they put another wooden fence up. Yes, and they never replaced the moon strip. So I rang them up and I got hold of some woman and she says, yes, yes, yeah, you know, carried on. She she was quite pleasant, and we'll send somebody around o a look. And I was still my own lawns at the time. So I waited about two weeks. I had heard back. I said, oh, well, I ring up again and I, oh, she's not here anymore. And I got some other woman and I said to her, well, she went absolutely so she went berserk. She just yelled and screamed.
Speaker 6: And what this is an official working for a government department.
Speaker 15: Carried carried on like a bloody idiot.
Speaker 6: You know, And I just you know this, I am okay, okay, we get the picture.
Speaker 15: So well, you know, trying to get cooperation out of people at times.
Speaker 6: Is your concern that they haven't replaced the mowing strip.
Speaker 15: It's too late now, Yeah, I'm just saying someone I'm trying to deal with people. Oh, you know with government, you know, with thing to date.
Speaker 6: Look, we would all expect that someone working for a government department undertakes their work professionally and with a certain sort of courtesy. So if your encounter has been that they haven't been professional, I can understand the frustration there. I suspect that in replacing the fence, they're unlikely to give you back the mowing strip. It's a bit of a I mean, I think they're actually a great idea to do, but they are when you're doing fencing, they are quite a lot of extra work to go. You know, excavate it down, box up both sides, pour the concrete, et cetera, strip the boxing, redo the grass around. So it's not surprising you don't see them as much as you used to. But yeah, they are a great idea. It's just I'm kind of not surprised that they haven't done it unfortunately. Thanks very much for you call all the best. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the number John Good morning morning. Hey, how you doing good?
Speaker 7: Thanks?
Speaker 12: Look, I just have a concern, you know with the council's consenting. Recently it was requirement to get a fire engineers been poured on a commercial building. Yes, which Julie dad a seven brand for engineers report submit that the council the next request for more information come back and all the answers were in the report of they hadn't read it.
Speaker 8: So I.
Speaker 12: Highlighted everything down, got it approached by the processor. But why why are councils academics overriding firing engineers who are professional if they wanted that information and they override it. What qualifications people and the council have and or what what qualifications does a processing Yeah, person and the council needs to process, you know, the complicated regulations where up agains now put that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look, I understand where you're coming from. I think it is unfair to you know, like there's a whole bunch of texts that are coming through here going Look, it's because the people that work at council don't know anything and they've never been on a building side, et cetera, et cetera. I've met a number of people at council who are extremely competent, right, and their professionals in their field, and they've got a tremendous amount of knowledge, now, whether that's a processing officer or an inspector on site and so on. At the same time, I've also encountered council officers who perhaps are learning and so they don't have all of the experience or knowledge that someone who's been around for a few more years has got, and that can be a bit frustrating. With regard to professional reports like that, I would tend to agree. I think that if you've gone to an independently and suitably qualified person got a professional report done that's specific to your building, you're relying on their experience to say and knowledge to go, this is now compliant. What you know the advice that we've given you, If you undertake this work, the building will be compliant. You're right. Why would counsel then go, well, hang on, no, We've we've got a problem with that work, Like what's their core competency versus the person that you've got. There's a similar frustration sometimes on building sites, where you know, if the work is of a certain scale, you might have your own structural engineer right who does the design and then will come to site and do the supervision. It's not uncommon. For example, if you're doing piles, or if you're doing particularly complicated reinforcing or some steel beams or something like that, the person who does the designs will send someone out to look at it on site, and then the council inspector will come along and go, I'm not sure about this, and you go, well, hang on, I've had my structural engineer has approved it. They're going to issue a producer statement. They are effectively taking responsibility for this part of the structure. Why do I even need you? You know what I mean? And that's a similar frustration.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 12: Look personally, I went, I went and actually spoke directly with the process and I had a really great response. It was very very helpful. In no disrespect, she's exception to the majority of them. But yeah, I know a guy you know who's built a twenty meter steel framed shit it's got a five meter study. He's got to put a fire alarm in there. How the hell do you burn down when you've got you know, they assume that he's going to do storage in there, and it's at the wording. I read the fire report, fire engineers report, and it's capable of storage. That's not what he applied for. He's got a five so he can put the horse up on the truck, right, networks on there.
Speaker 16: And now.
Speaker 6: I guess though, you know, to be fair to counsel and to be fair to to regulations that you don't know what someone's see this is the thing. You don't know what someone's got to do is going to do with that building in the future. So a safe precaution is to ensure that it's got a fire alarm in it. But then at the same time, you're not asking for consent for a building that what somebody else does with it. Somebody might turn it into apartments, right, but that's not the intent of the consent at the time that it was submitted. And why should counsel go, Well, we don't know what's going to happen in the future. Therefore we're going to get you to protect against potential change of use for the building. That's not their remit. Their remit is is it compliant right now for the intention that I want to have.
Speaker 12: The application specific Yeah, has assumed that he's going to do something else. Uh, that is that although I mean that allows.
Speaker 6: Just like just to be Devil's advocate for a minute. You know, if he's going to be doing maintenance, for example, on vehicles, so he needs the five meter stud so that he can put a vehicle on a hoist and lift it up. Then in that environment there's likely to be oils and lubricants and possibly flammable materials. So it's reasonable to say it probably should have a fire alarm in it. I mean, there will be things that are flammable that he will use while doing that maintenance work.
Speaker 12: But I would think he's got all the doors. He's got four roll of doors on the two excess doors which are just standard doors. You know, if that thing catches on fire, it's flamble stuff. Yeah, he's got plenty of exits. The was designed for those in mine. It's got any of air movements yeah.
Speaker 6: Like yeah, yeah. I mean look still still buildings can collect.
Speaker 12: In a commercial building. Look at loacers Lodge. Did the council inspect that, No they didn't. How many the fine youths occur and residential where people are sleeping, and that's that's not a commercial where you're standing vertically, when you lower blowing, lie in horizontal and you are affixiated before you sit the death Yeah, different risks. I just I just think it's so it's so expense to do anything now it's not possible.
Speaker 6: But again, if I'm going back to the press release from the minister, one of the things that is key is that, and this is quoting directly from the press release, adopt a more balanced approach to liability for defective work. Now that's not quite what you and I are talking about, but you know, one of the things right now in terms of building consents and council signing off on buildings is that with joint and several liability, council end up in some cases being on the hook for all of the defective work because everyone else has gone right. So in that case, you know, maybe that's another part of this. And potentially what you're saying as well is that you know, if someone has built a building and it's for their use and it's not a public building, it's a private building, and they're prepared to take the risk, then maybe the risks should sit with them, Whereas when council get involved and they're looking after rate payers, money because if it goes wrong, they're paying out rate payers money. That's where they become much more risk averse. And as a ratepayer, we kind of want them to be, don't we. Oh you know what I mean? So, yeah, we don't.
Speaker 12: People's fact and.
Speaker 6: In the same way, you know, maybe it's not unreasonable. We've just had a quick text on this as well, you know, like we've got fire alarms, fire exit signs and firefighting gear in our workshop. It's just health and safety. I would want them as well in a workshop.
Speaker 12: Well, Peter, you know, you you have a fire alarm and things, and then you've got a fire extincture and have a look above the fire alarm the core point and it says in case of fire ring one on one and get out of the building, the stay what's the fire extinguish are doing beside it? What's that telling you do? Pick it up and try and put the fire round. Now, those fire extinguishs have been taken out of commercial.
Speaker 6: In the same way they don't often put fire hoses into commercial buildings anymore either.
Speaker 12: Not require you know, because basically people's lives are at resk if you haven't person to operate the fire extinguish. They don't pull print out been Yeah, the fire in three minutes and that that regulation has and if you look at the fire people that fire sell fire extinguice is look at their report. It's a recommendation, it's not a requirement.
Speaker 6: Oh on, some really good points that you raise, and will continue to discuss this interesting though, Like I was involved in a no I'm aware of situation recently where there was the beginning of a fire and someone because they it's an older building and it still had a fire hose, they were able to put it out, and I guess without it then they would have had to wait. They'd already notified the brigade and they were on their way, but they were able to extinguish most of the fire before the firebreak gaate came. But that's unlo likely now in a modern building where I don't think they typically install fire hoses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's pretty much where we're heading. Nine minutes away from it. We'll be back with thee in just a moment.
Speaker 1: Doing of the house extorting the guard and asked feet for a hand. The resident builder with Peter wolfcap call oh eight hundred us dogs V.
Speaker 6: I'm just reading this text weld and guess this is someone talking about sort of workshops and having extinguishers and the potential for sort of flammable activity all materials. Weld will guess cut and use an extinguisher once or twice a year. Yes, we've also got extinguishers in our chemical shed. There's no way we're going in there. Even the Fire Brigade has a policy to let chemical sheds burn and maintain a safe zone. Makes sense to me, does. I had a job long time ago, like almost forty years ago, working as a laborer basically in an engineering shop, and one of the jobs we were doing was on top of a machine welding on an oil reservoir, And my job was to stand there with the fire extinguisher so that when the guy who's doing the welding the flames got too high, I would put them out and then he could carry on welding. Anyway, it was a long time ago. Don't text me and tell me it's unsafe. I know that it was a long time ago. Ian greetings, Oh, good morning.
Speaker 14: He interesting discussion. This morning's been good to listen to this. A bit of a change of subject. We've just bought an old bungalow and it's got a dechromatic roof tile on Y had it tested. It's got a bit of a spestos in it, and we're just considering what whether we replace the roof with new roofing or go for one of the rubberized paint systems that seemed.
Speaker 16: To be around at the minute.
Speaker 14: And we're just interested in your opinion on I'm sure, I tell.
Speaker 6: You what what I'm sorry, what I realized is we're going to run into the news in about twenty seconds. Can I ask you to hold We'll come back straight after the news because there's I guess there's a couple of alternatives that we can discuss, So just stay with us and we'll come back straight after news, Sport and weather, which is on the way in the next hour as well. We're going to have a bit of a chat with a town planner around you know what happens when designs and buildings get turned down. That's a bit topical at the moment, so we'll do that after the news at eight.
Speaker 1: Whether you're painting the ceiling fixings or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall, you have Peter wolf Camp call on.
Speaker 6: Eighty the resident filder on News Dogs, your News Talks. There'd be Pete wolf Camp with you this morning. Couple of things coming up. We're going to have a bit of a chat with Hamish first. Now, Hamish is a town planner. He's been on the show a couple of times because of his expertise around resource consents and planning issues and that sort of thing which packed on most of us. And I caught that story the other day about a new development in k Road being turned down by the sort of planning commission for Auckland Council because it didn't meet the requirements right in terms of heritage or height or appearance and da da da da da. So I just wanted to touch base with him to give some general guidelines around that. So we'll do that shortly. But just before the news we were talking with Ian about his dechromastic roof. Has Ian still there was He gone, he's gone, oh okay, not to worry. So Ian was talking about dechromastic roof, which is probably forty odd years old. It's got some asbestos in it which makes removal quite expensive. The last one that I have some awareness of sort of the removal of the roof went from maybe one thousand dollars for just the labor and tip f to I think it was about sixteen thousand dollars as an exercise to remove reasonably sized roof quite high obviously, but because it had asbestos and needed to go to a special tip site, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, it became expensive. So in this case, I'm just oh Ian's back with us, which is awesome. Ian greetings, Oh, good morning, good morning, Petter. Hey, good on you for testing the roof. So it's a dechroymastic type roof, so a metal tile with like the chip sprayed onto it. It's obviously getting to the end of its life. You've had it tested. It's got some asbestos in it, which means, as I just mentioned that, the you know, the cost of removal goes from maybe a thousand bucks to fifteen or sixteen thousand dollars, so it's really tempted to leave it there. The biggest issue that I often have with them is that typically what happens is when people walk around on those types of roofs, they don't know where to stand and so they end up walking in the middle of the tile. They crease the ridge and the tile, and that causes it to shear right, to actually split, and there's not a lot that you can do about that. You can try and panel beat it from underneath and that, but you'll always have a tear in there, which case, if you were to coat it, you're relying on the coat and the coating to seal that gap. And I think that's a little bit of an ask. If the roof is actually in reasonable condition, i e. Not that many people have stomped around up there, then yeah, potentially coating it will give you more time. You know, you might get another ten or fifteen years out of the roof if you give it a really good coating. But ultimately it probably needs replacement, and the replacement can often get a bit complex because the existing metal tile will be onto a baton, which is like a two B one, whereas if you were going to do Corrigoi dine or long run iron on there, you'll need to replace those battons with peerlins. You should be able to do it underschedule one of the Act, which means you don't necessarily need a consent for it. But you will need to strip the roof, strip some of the batons, relay the perlins that will lift the roof up, so you might have to change the facier and the spouting. You can see how this just gets bigger, bigger and bigger.
Speaker 16: That's right. Yeah, So we've had a couple of quotes and there's a huge difference in price. So yeah, it's quite a big roof. But so we've had pricing ranging from up to sixty thousand for a new roof and I'm not sure that that covers spouting and down types and faceboards and like that through to you know, maybe ten or fifteen grand for a new sort of quoting. So huge difference in price.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's massive, and you know that's a lot of money that you've got to find, right, there's a lot of money to inject into the property. I mean, it's interesting. I just got a text from a contractor that I have worked with for a number of years and I hold in quite high regard to be fair, very experienced, very knowledgeable, and he just texts because we've been talking a little bit about roof ceiling on the program. He said, look, I've just been on a roof where the owners had it coated with a sealant and he said, it's just a sticky, gooey mess. Yes, this is months after the coating went on. Now, in this particular instance.
Speaker 16: Been made over the top of the old iron roof as well. Does that make any difference do we need to take No, it's.
Speaker 6: Not a great idea, to be fair, you get issues with condensation and fixings and it's not uncommon. In fact, what you might find is that, depending on the age of the house, your dechromatic roof for want of a better term, might actually be laid over the top of an old iron roof that on a number of occasions.
Speaker 16: That's what I believe is the case.
Speaker 6: Really, Okay, so you've actually got to take off two roofs. Yes. What it will mean though, is that there will be perlins underneath the old roof. So that whole issue around height might actually not be an issue in terms of where you probably need to replace the spouting, but you may not need to go through and adjust all of the faces and that sort of thing. So look, if you are going to go down the ceiling pathway, I think you need to be really really diligent around which contractor, how well they do the preparation, what the warranties are, what the you know, the state of the company is to ensure that they're not a bit of a fly by night. And then if you've satisfied yourself that it's going to be durable and give you another ten years, then by all means go for it. But you know it might also feel like you're just putting off the inevitable. All the best I leave you those options. Take care. We're going to take a short break. Then we're talking with Hamish Firth Planner in just a moment.
Speaker 1: Squeaky door or squeaky floor, Get the right advice from Peter Wolfcare, the resident builder on NEWSTALKSB.
Speaker 6: Change of season still means getting into the garden as we roll into autumn, and if it's outdoor power equipment you're looking for for keeping the garden in shape, then still Shop is the place where you will get expert advice and equipment fully assembled, fueled up or charged up and ready to go. Not everyone can offer you that. Autumn also means free upgrades. At still Shop, they've taken all of their top sellers and are offering a free upgrade to an upgraded model. So how good is that? Here's the best seller list. Maybe a chainsaw, maybe a water blaster, maybe a hedge trim or a line trim, or a lawn mower. And then when the lawns are done, you need to get yourself a blower vac free autumn upgrades from still shops right across the county. Visit one near you this weekend shop and store or online with a speedy click and collect or home delivery.
Speaker 9: News talk ZB righty.
Speaker 14: Oh.
Speaker 6: Now, A story that got my attention during the course of the week was an application by a developer, in this case Kirkpatrick Group. I think it was to do an eleven story building on a vacant lot on K Road towards the Pontsmbe Road end if you know Auckland. It was going to be an exemplar I guess of some really innovative and sustainable technology. So the building was eleven stories. It's I think it was going to be colt, so a timber structure eleven stories high. We don't have any of those in the country. It was going to get a Green Star rating, a six green star rating, so it's a sustainable, environmentally friendly building. And it was submitted to Auckland Council. That goes to a planning committee I think, and they've turned it down. So what happens in these situations? So a very good morning to you, Hamish Firth from Mount Holbson Group. Thanks for joining us again. Hamish, you've been with us a couple of times on the show because of your expert knowledge in this area. And I you and I know that you guys are acting for the developer in terms of preparing the submission, so we recognize your involvement with it. But in these cases, what happens when you know you've prepared an application goes to the planning Commission. Who's the planning commission? What's the process? What happens? Hamish?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's on. Pete, good morning. I'm the application was lodged yet, can you yeah, go for it?
Speaker 6: Hello?
Speaker 11: Can you hear me?
Speaker 7: Sorry? Pete?
Speaker 6: Hello, I've got you now, Hamish?
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 7: So the application was lodged in twenty twenty three and it was publicly notified, so that allowed members of the public to make submissions. Yes, And in late twenty twenty four a hearing was held where three independent commissioners who were appointed decided to decline the application.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 7: We have then appealed that to the Environment Court and we will have mediation. The first step of any environment called process is mediation, and we'll probably have that sometime in May. But if I can take you back a step, what if the existing rules of the old rules, which were probably established in the late nineties for the CBD, have been superseded in part in twenty twenty two when a planed change came out to allow for more intensive buildings in this area. This application relied very heavily on the new rules. Yes, three years later, those new rules are still not in place or in four because Council has not made a decision. So we were told that these rules would be in place in April twenty twenty four. Now, because the rules aren't in place effectively, we have to go back and use the old rules, which are now some twenty five thirty years old, and they become the default position. So the issue here is probably not that the building can be approved or should be approved, or will be approved under appeal. It's the fact that the baseline was the old rules and that the new rules haven't been given effect to and it's taken an awfree long time and are still not in effect.
Speaker 6: Right and yet obviously if the new rules were put before, created by Council, why haven't they adopted them if they wanted the rules to change to allow intensification in urban areas close to transport hubs. And I guess this Bishop as Minister, has been quite vocal and quite blunt in his assessment, calling this sort of thing insanity, given that what we're after is intensification in the city near transport hubs. And Auckland's just spent almost five billion dollars creating a rail link and now we can't have tall buildings near it.
Speaker 7: So I've heard Minister Seymour, I've heard Minister Jones, and I've heard Minister Bishop pontificate and rattle their change about how these things are inappropriate. What Council does is it goes back to the Bible and it says, here's the process we have to follow. So until the process is changed, Council follow the letter of the law. And that's what they've done. And I think that this is tragically an example that is all over the country where our innovation, our progress is held back by the fact that the bureaucracy slows things down. I'm comfortable we make a judgment call on whether it's right against a new set of rules, But what we need is those rules to become operative or enforced much quicker. So I think we have to work backwards and say all of these processes to take no longer than one year, and we work backwards from hearing in one year's time, and then we make it more streamlined. So what you've got, as with Plan Change seventy eight is everybody's gone on hold because the new rules allow two or three or four times more development, and everybody's weighted and weighted and waited. So you've actually put economic development on hold through bureau but the slowness of the bureaucratic process.
Speaker 6: So just to be really clear on this, So in this case we're talking about Auckland councils specifically. So Auckland Council looking to the future goes, we're going to change planning regulations because we want more intensification in the right areas and that's often related to transport and amenity. So they want it, so they set out a new set of plan changes or propose them, but then they don't adopt them. So what's the hold up between we want this, but we're not going to adopt it. What's the gap there?
Speaker 7: If I knew the answer to that, team, we'll have solved everything. And I think I came back to you. What we actually need is a change in legal regime at the government level which requires these processes to be quicker and to be adopted quicker or not adopted quicker. So we want we want certainty faster. And I think if this also correlates to a really good I few you guys have been discussing today, which is RFIs on building consents and if we just trip this all back. The complaints are that there's rafies that come on the nineteenth day, yes, and that there's what you might say subjective RFIs, so a different a building officer may have a different level of experience or a different interpretation. So the solution is, or if you break it really down, we want we don't mind if there's rfies. I think it's really important that plans are drawn correctly following a process through. So what we're asking for is RFI is to be made within say five work days, and need to be a consistency in approach, and I think the only way we're going to get that, and Pete, we have touched on this before is technology. So plans are scanned, a computer program reads them, and the same decision will pop out every time. You'll always have the humans. There is the backstop or the final check. So you're not losing jobs, you're just speeding up the process and making it more consistent. It's the same thing with this RAMA processes.
Speaker 14: Recently up north.
Speaker 7: You may be aware in Kitty Kitty a public boat ramp has also been declined because so for the public good, because the necessary legislation has not been changed to allow these things to happen in a much easier way. And so I think what we need to do is we need to look at these things much more careful. And so it's the legal process at the top of the tree which are forcing the local government's hands to decline.
Speaker 6: And when you say the legal pro is at the top of the tree, this is effectively government as a nationwide government policies that are not changing. That's where it is being held out.
Speaker 7: To make plan you're allowed to make plan changes and resource consents, and the RAMA or the planning legislation directs how they're made. So if you want to allow boat remps and eleven meter eleven story buildings are massed in the buildings very limit of buildings to go ahead, you need to have processes within the RIMA that allow council to flexibilities and the speed in which to make changes are appropriate changes.
Speaker 6: Just in terms of this particular building, you know, concerns around heritage. Again, you know, I can't see it, and I'm all for heritage, right but given that there was well there's nothing there right now? What was there was not of any particular charm. Yes, it's in the heritage zone. I love k Road and in fact, I think it's much upgraded from what it used to be. But is this building in the location that it is kind of at the end of the strip. I mean, it doesn't feel like it's going to impinge on heritage in any significant way. But then, you know, I'm saying that as a chippee and a local res or a resident in a sense.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I find that what's really important context Across the road from US is an enormous mobile petrol station with a very large, flat, empty four court. Behind that is a watercre reservoir would probably be eight to ten meters high and is a solid concrete mass. On the other side of the road is another vacant site used by Wilson's for parking and a couple of digital billboards. Our site is vacant with hoardings, and the site beside us is a building with metal screens and billboards on it, So contextually there's not a lot of heritage. However, we're in the K Road Heritage precinct. So what the client did not a developer, an investor, long term investor holds property and has held property since thennineteen sixties. Nothing ever gets sold, and so they are not doing this in a speculative way. They chose probably the architect at the top of the tree fear and hate. They gave them a solid brief that had to recognize and respect the heritage character. If you go anywhere in the world, you will see a modern interpretation of a building wedged between heritage buildings at times, which actually enhances the other heritage buildings by highlighting them through the contrast of difference. So if you look at their fine details of this building, the line, the verticals, the horizontals that have all been taken from Ques from the buildings along k Road. The proportions the window sizes that there is such a depth of detail that whilst it may not appear to be solid masonry and little tiny windows, it more than more than reflects a heritage and respect and also will highlight any other building in the nearby area and its heritage status.
Speaker 6: And to be fair, if you wander a kilometer down Ponsby Road almost to the Franklin Road intersection there frank Richmond Road, you know there's a redevelopment on that corner with the old building and then it's wrapped around by new But it's one of my favorite buildings in Ponsby Road.
Speaker 7: You get the right architect and you can do a wonderful job. And the architect has done a brilliant job here to respect the herod aqualities of the heritage in area.
Speaker 6: So where do you think this? So it's in the paper. It's suggested that now that the RMA or the resource consent has been declined by the Planning Commissioners, it will go to the Environment Court and that'll be mediation.
Speaker 9: Is that what happened?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it is, But what we really rely on or need is counsel to make a decision on Plan Change seventy eight for the CBD. Of all the submissions made on that plan change, this is the best place for growth, so let's get that out. The other process we've got to go through is what's called a possible fast track application, So we're investigating that right now. And that's another piece of legislation which speeds things up and gets you decisions, big decisions faster for regionally significant projects. This is one hundred million dollar project and what it does is you've built a five billion dollar city rail at karrang A Happy station is five hundred minutes from the site, so this will allow people to come in from all over West Auckland. Four five hundred thousand people stop there, walk or scooter up to this modern office building and get home again. This is why the CRL was constructed. So there is a real nexus between this building, the regeneration of this area, and in the station.
Speaker 6: Look, it's a great insight on please that we're able to have that discussion, and I recognize your direct involvement in it, but I think you've also presented it impartially and I really appreciate that we'll get you on because I've had so many planning questions, so I'll reach out for your expert advice again. Shortly, Hamish, thank you very much for your time. All the best, take care of you and news talk Seb. Let's jump into the garden the Red Clone past us with us. Actually just before we go to root, a little project that I've been working on is going to be available for you to watch later on tonight. I think so I did a project which I'm calling my host project. Host is the Dutch word for house. It's a renovation a little cottage. We did it a couple of years ago. Video that back then that I've kept the footage. I'm now going to release that. So we've made a bit of a story about this host project and from tonight you be able to look at that on YouTube. So check out my socials in terms of resident builder at Facebook or Instagram that'll give you the link, or just go directly to YouTube search for me reson build of Peter Wolfcamp. You'll find it there and the slightly longer format video so talking about the renovation and that sort of thing. So enjoy that.
Speaker 1: It will be back with through it in just a moment, helping you get those DIY projects done right. The Resident Builder with Peter wolfcamf call oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty Use Talks EDB.
Speaker 9: For more from The Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp.
Speaker 1: Listen live to News Talks EDB on Sunday mornings from six, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio