Speaker 1: Gielda.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by The New Zealand Herald. Remember remember the fifth of November. It's guy Fawkes, which means a sleepless night for some of our furry friends. For more than four hundred years, the English Catholic's failure to blow up the Houses of Parliament in London has been celebrated, But at what cost? Every year we're warned by the likes of SPCA that what is an exciting night for us is a terrifying night for animals. Not to mention fire and Emergency and Z is continuously urging people to think about the risk of fireworks before buying them, and on average ACC accepts around three hundred new claims every year for fireworks related in and data shows that children under the age of ten make up around a quarter of them. Each time it rolls around, though, the question is asked, should fireworks be banned? And why on Earth does New Zealand even celebrate it in the first place. Today on the Front Page, Animates CEO Neil Cowie is with us to explain why tonight is such a scary experience for animals big and small. But first we speak to AA Insurance underwriting manager Nancy Maloney on the continued calls to roll back on the fireworks. First off, Nancy, it's Guy Fawkes. Of course, AA has done a survey. How do kiwis really feel about fireworks?
Speaker 3: Well, look, we do the survey every year and the results this year are showing a similar trend to what we've seen previously, with all almost three quarters of kiwis expressing that fireworks should be banned for recreational or at card use. At least.
Speaker 1: We're crazy about them. They're crazy about who's live. We're just making them on.
Speaker 4: People should be entitled to use whatever they want, when they want it, within safe means.
Speaker 1: Public displays would be would be better for the younger ones.
Speaker 2: It's a minority, not the majority that is spawning it for everyone else.
Speaker 1: Every one that I know of is responsible, and most keys are very responsible with fireworks.
Speaker 2: What are some of the reasons why they want to see fireworks band all of.
Speaker 3: The variety of reasons. The top three were scaring animals and you might have seen a few releases last week actually coming out around the impact on animals this time of year. Second top reason was irresponsible use and food was the risk of fire damage, which you know, being in the insurance business is something we're really across.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I've seen a stat since twenty nineteen, we've seen six hundred and seventy six fires caused by fireworks, five hundred and thirteen of which were vegetation fires. When it comes to insurance, how much does aapay out on average when it comes to these fire claims.
Speaker 3: Look, there's not always a link that we observed between increase home fire claims and fireworks season, but it's not auto wow, how easily things can catch on fire. In terms of fire claims costs, we've seen a twenty percent increase in large fire claims and we've paid out over twelve million dollars to date this year.
Speaker 2: And it's getting drier as well. Hey, coming from Australia ten years ago, I thought it was absolutely bonkers that fireworks were being sold for recreational use, and of course must be buyers because I'm just thinking of things catching on fire. Is that something that you are seeing through these survey results as well?
Speaker 3: Definitely we're seeing. So when we broke down the overall results of the survey, so fifty four percent supported backyard ban or recreational use, but an additional seventeen percent wanted to go further and have them banned entirely. That was particularly high among homeowners, those age fifty plus and those who identify as female as well. I think it's important to acknowledge that twenty five percent still had no issues. And we're not here to be the fun police. We're not here to rain on anyone's parade. But what we want to do is really educate and ask keyis to just you know, if you are setting them off in your backyard, do so responsibly.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Nancy.
Speaker 2: Another year and more calls to ban the sale of fireworks in New Zealand. A petition is underway which will be presented to the House of Representatives and in a world first, pets can too sign with a poor print. CEO of Animates, Neil Cowy is with us to speak on behalf of the animals as to why it could be time to ten this fiery tradition.
Speaker 1: First off, Neil, tell me about this petition.
Speaker 5: The poor prom petition. So yes, so fireworks at this time of the year. We know causes distress, extreme distress to pits. I guess, while afe across New Zealand and we believe it animates that it's time to ban the sale the private style of fireworks and safeguards animal.
Speaker 1: Healthy Why do you think I'll go on?
Speaker 5: And it's not only about the fifth of November. It's the bigger issue is the stockpiling of fireworks, but it gets set off throughout the which really compounds the stress the dangered animals. And I guess it's when you least expected. I guess that fireworks. As a pet parent or a pet owner, I can take steps to safeguard my pets and I can look after them, and I knock them in fire between you least expected down the track when there are real dangers and stress. Litter animals come to the foe, in some cases not even at home when it happens.
Speaker 2: Bookland councils pushing for a ban on private youth.
Speaker 6: The reason people give for wanting the barn as purely safety people, animals, pets and wildlife get injured. There isn't a da. It's not the fifth of November. We sell fireworks for four days, people stop pail them.
Speaker 2: They have become something that gets stored up in people's homes and used at other times, and that's a concern to fire an emergency.
Speaker 1: Why do you reckon? Now is the time?
Speaker 2: Because it feels like every year we talk about this banning fireworks.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I really don't know. I mean, in twenty twenty three, three quarters of kiwis were in favor of banning fireworks. So I guess at the end of the day, it's ultimately the government that needs to make that decision. But there is definitely a movement to ban fireworks. What we're trying to do is we trying to We're trying to give the animals a voice, which is the uniqueness about our campaign called the Poor prim petition, So I hopefully they can have a voice as well. And since we're going really.
Speaker 2: Well, the sale of fireworks is meant to be restricted to just four days a year, from Saturday, November two to Tuesday, November fifth, or today. I don't know about you, but I hear fireworks going off. I heard them going off before Saturday or November two.
Speaker 1: It's pretty disappointing.
Speaker 2: Hey, when people stockpile them or if they're going off before they're legally being able.
Speaker 3: To be sold.
Speaker 2: They've either stockpiled them and they're expired, or they've gotten them from someone where they shouldn't have. What do you reckon that says about how many people actually let them off responsibly.
Speaker 5: I really can't comment, but I would think many users are responsible. But it's exactly that point that you're making around stock party that is, in our view, are a really big issue. It really compounds the stress and the danger to animals. And like I said, if you knew they were happening or the public display, you can safeguard your patent's after them. That's when you least expect it. So I mean, I really feel for the wildlife, the birds, even our livestock horses for instance, if you don't have the ability to look after your horse and put them in a stable, the consequences can be quite catastrophic.
Speaker 2: Actually yeah, And every year vets are just inundated with animals who have hurt themselves due to being that scared by fireworks.
Speaker 5: Hey, yes, we are vatine. Actually they feel calls before because people are genuinely anxious in terms of getting advice, but it's the post trauma that is an issue. So we do see it in our clinics around as well.
Speaker 2: These days Guy Fawkes is less about the past and almost entirely about the big bangs.
Speaker 1: And for the spcaight it's their busiest nights of the year.
Speaker 4: Certainly around this time of year, and are certainly approaching Guy Fawkes as well as the time shortly afterwards seeing will experience a quite a significant rise and calls to our an a more reporting line, specifically in relation to lost animals. We find a lot of dogs go missing over that period, either Guy Fawke's night or the day after. Really it's about comforting them, keeping them safe, putting in an environment where they're going to be looked after and not likely to injure themselves or run away. Really, we've had horses that have run into fences and head injuries that way. We've had stock that have broken through fences that they wouldn't normally do and onto railway tracks and being collected by trains, or we find animals and positions where they obviously wouldn't have got too unless they're very scared at the time.
Speaker 2: In twenty nineteen, seventy four point four percent of people noticed their animals just explaying fear of fireworks. What are some of the behavior's pet owners noticed.
Speaker 5: Well, the only first thing you do is your pet is going to be startled or anxious, right, so they're going to hide. They're going to hide under a bed, or they're going to find somewhere where they can get away. They might cower, they might shiver. In a worst case, they might actually bolt and run. And they with their incidences where cat they have got out of the home and they've been missing for days whilst they tried to find a safe haven for one of the metword to look after themselves. So that's the worst case. Know and and you know horses as well, they tend to bolt when they get when they get distressed or they get frightened.
Speaker 1: Tell me a.
Speaker 2: Little bit more about this petition. It's not only humans that are able to sign it.
Speaker 5: Hey, No, that's that's the unique thing about this petition, a Chelsea, It's we call it the poor print petition. So you have the ability for your pet to have a voice as well. So what you can do is you can scan your dog or your cat's poor print and you can upload that to the website as well, and their poor print will be registered. We're using some pretty cool AI technology in terms of identifying the details like the species, a fur color, and the poor print, which then optimizes that the representation. We then turn it into a black and white graphic which symbolizes the pet themselves. It's quite unique. It's almost like a thumbprint or a fingerprint.
Speaker 2: If I can get a hold of my cap Mow for long enough to be able to do that, I'm sure he'll have a word with me and he'll tell me that he wants to do it. How many people and animals have signed the position so far?
Speaker 5: As of a little while ago, we've got forty five thousand human signatures and we've got forty two thousand pet signatures, So it's certainly getting some momentum, and that's a lot of people. We're very, very very excited about the number, and we think that's going to go up, particularly over the next week or two.
Speaker 2: And I mean I mentioned this before, but we do know how fireworks negatively affect our pets. Why in the world do you think we still do it, Chelsea?
Speaker 5: I just don't know. If you think about around the world many places about fireworks Australia, you haven't had fireworks in most of these states for for years, for decades, I think, so it's just a thing crazy that we do still have this this sort of firework display. As just that it's been reduced to three or four days with the selling stockpiling, that's the issue. So both are going to be selling for one or two days. People are still in the stock quite right, and and you know, I just don't understand why we still we've got it given the consequences on animals.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Neil. That said, for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at NSIDHERLD dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Seals. Richard Martin and Dan Goodwin are the sound engineers.
Speaker 1: I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to The Front
Speaker 2: Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.