Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Francesca Rudkin and I'm Louise Aria, and this is season three of our New Zealand Here podcast, The Little Things, a podcast where we talk to experts and we find out all the little things that you need to know to improve all areas of your life and cut through the confusion and overload of information out there.
Speaker 2: We all know how overwhelming it can be. So we're going to do things but differently today always we are yes, okay, So we are going to bring you not just one expert, but two. We are going to tackle hair queries and we are also going to take a fresh look at cosmetic procedures from facials to fillers and some other things that women are doing to improve their quality of life. Luise, which, don't I some surprises in there? Oh yeah? Yeah, I think probably the biggest questions that we have around these things are you know, are these procedures risky and are they worth it? So we'll be asking all the questions that you might have thought about but never had the opportunity to do.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I think there'll be some surprises in there for all of us. Last season, I think you hopefully you remember, we did an episode with doct Karen McDonald about what we you know, got into all things skin care. And you know, I was very pleasantly surprised going from my life and you're glowing. Well, I'm on moisturized, I'm on my i am moisturized. I've gone from putting the moisturizer from my from my legs onto my face to putting the excess moisturizer from the face onto my legs.
Speaker 2: So that's that's a good thing. Hey.
Speaker 1: But and it was quite simple really actually, I just needed someone to explain what a regime actually is and what you really need and what you don't need, and that's where you need to spend your money.
Speaker 2: It was a good app Go and have a listen if you haven't.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 1: And look at what probably surprised to hear that I'm as just as lazy, uninvested in my.
Speaker 2: Hair as I was with my skin.
Speaker 1: And I'm not particularly good at sitting in the cell on chair either. I always feel better afterwards. And I don't know if you remember Franchiscuaba, when I had a wig during chemo, people could not quite believe it was me because the wig was so much better than my groom.
Speaker 2: All these mothers would come up to me at the schoolgate going Looi's just looks amazing. Have you seen she just looks amazing. We're like, yeah, yeah, No. She never paid any attention to her to a hair, and now she's got this beautifully quaffed wig and looks so glamorous. It was sort of an It's sort of a bit of an insult in a compliment. At the same time.
Speaker 1: It's hard to convince people I wasn't very well, wasn't it? Because I looked so much better? But you are more vigilant.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 2: I am more vigilant about hair care. And that's because my hairdresser gave me this lovely color of copper gold. I'm a light redhead, which actually might surprise you. I'm not, and I've had it for so long. It's me and I just I'm attached to it. And I think when you do have a color, you have to look after it. And also I've always been told I think my mother or my grandmother or something said to me, if you're going to have long hair, frinchescu, you've got to look after it. So I have. I'm quite good at getting colours and cats but I do not use flash products. I cannot afford that I get my shampoo from the supermarket. Yeah, I'm very lazy when it comes to how I care for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we all could probably do a little bit more for ourselves and for a hair. And as you know, I've made clear roots and a thing for me anymore. I have gray hair. It grew back gray. I didn't see the point in dying it again. And I don't have a strong opinion on whether somebody should be gray or not gay.
Speaker 2: Totally out to you, Yeah, do what you like.
Speaker 1: There are times where I, you know, I miss the conditioning that a good color gave me. So hopefully our guest today can give us some solutions around how to bring a bit.
Speaker 2: More life back to gray here or any here actually, so joining us today to talk all things here is the founder of Blunt Edition in Auckland, Brad Leaper. Brad is a renowned stylist with a global reputation. He is an international educator working alongside global hair care products and brands. Brad is a celebrated hair expert. He's got twenty four years experience and we are lucky to have him join us to answer some of our hairy questions. So thank you so much for joining us, Brad, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we just discussed how sensitive a topic of this is for me. But anyway, what are the main issues and changes you've noticed in women's here as they age.
Speaker 3: I think it's a thing that's not discussed enough. So a lot of people come into the chair and they sort of have these concerns that no one's talking about. It's the biggest thing. So I think it's more about our hair loss is one thing as well as getting gray hair. The hair texture changing as well is a big thing as well, and they find that there's not a lot of information out there on the s side of things.
Speaker 2: You can google it, but.
Speaker 1: You never really get a clear answer. You say, hair loss are you talking? Is that an age related issue? Particularly age related? It can be hormone related as well. It can be stress related, dietry as well. Low iron is a big one as well. So there's so many factors that you're looking through. So when they can how to the chee, you've got to analyze them as much you can while they're there, and then from there you'll start sort of trying to break down what we can do as hairtresses.
Speaker 2: So how does our hair condition change from when we're teenagers through lives and especially for women if you go through pregnancy and perimenopause and menopause and things time.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the thing too is you're losing keratsin, which is a big thing, and keratin is you start losing that when you're about I think it's about thirty five upwards. It can be younger. And so when you've got that beautiful glossy hair as youster, you know is that what keratin does is plus it's a protein, it's a flexive protein, and your hair, skin, nails throughout your body. But you do deplead it as you get older. So and hence why like keratin treatments have become such a big thing. But you've got a lot more things you've got to think about as well as like your diet is a big one.
Speaker 2: What else as we age obviously there's you know, you hear a lot of women talk about it and as they getting older, they lose more hair or the hair might become more brittle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's again it's just it could be hormone rated as well. So if go premenopause is a big one. My wife's going through that at this stage. So it's one of those things that you you can monitor, but your doctor's your best porch of core. Get all your test done, make sure your eye is such a scratch. Make sure that you're eating the right food is a big one, and you want to make sure you've got good quality proteins you can. Diet is a big one.
Speaker 1: So that that time that you have a shower and suddenly you just notice a whole lot more here coming out than used to. You know you're used to. That's the time to go and perhaps check all of those things.
Speaker 3: Your old monitor at first, because you have got season or fall out, which no one talks about as well. Wh what's that you sit a little bit? Yeah, you too, and normally it's around about winter time. Just you too, shit and so you're you on average, you'll lose about fifty to one hundred here today, and so that's normal. If you're tying your hair up, you'll notice more because you've hold that here into that punny towel. As soon as you start brushing it, it starts coming out. So what you've got is if it's going anywhere over one hundred and fifty to three hundred hairs a day, and it's consistently doing that way, Then you start thinking about what.
Speaker 2: Does that look like? Is that like a palm of.
Speaker 3: What is like a palm of hair? So if you're washing your hair, I find this more my wife cut off and wish you'll leave little bits of hair. I'm like, all right, we're up to that stage. Yeah, so we've or your little your trap like you. Yeah, And that's the situation. So if your husband and your partner is is finding that, then I'm very diligent with hair.
Speaker 1: As the only person who does take the hair out of the trap in the shower, I I then don't.
Speaker 2: Have any qualm about it being my hair. It's fine. But that is really interesting about sitting because as you can see, it got quite a lot of hair, and it does drop around the house on occasion. A member of the family. Just go your hairs everywhere, and I'll be actually able to say, now it's seasonal, it's natural, I'm shitting deal with it.
Speaker 3: It's pretty.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: I'm good to know. That's a really useful piece of information.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I have heard of women I can't really cast my mind back. There's so much to think about postpartum. But I have heard of postpartum hair loss as well, or little fluffy bits in the front.
Speaker 3: Is that that is really common? So your hairline is a different texture of hair, so it's not going to have the same density or thickness as the rest of your hair. So all of your hairlines through the back end as well. So when a colorist is coloring your hair, they normally would have had that last because it will absorb a lot more color quicker, so it's less melanine, less thickness, therefore it deposits quicker.
Speaker 2: Well, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: So that's why when you do your updo you get all that fluffy stuff at the bottom because that's super frustrating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again as we age, that comes more brittle, so therefore you see more of that, so it's not growing as strong. It's the best best way to think about it.
Speaker 1: What about if you've just naturally got them here or if your hair is sitting are there specific styles that will help us sort of create that look of volume.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the shorter you go, the easier is to create volume. So if you've got more length, that's going to drag down the actual hair shape and so therefore're going to feel thinner on that top section. So there's the shag, which is really great. We've got shorter pieces, but it's still quite long. There is a bob, so anything you're stacking one length on will create more volume. The Pixi cut is great as well, So all these classic cuts that have been around for a long time are awesome.
Speaker 2: Random question. If people come in and they have a Pinterest board of looks that they want, can heedras actually really achieve that look for the customer.
Speaker 3: That's the biggest one. I think as hair dresses, we've had to adapt. So originally would have magazine covers, so if someone bring the photo, it'll be that sit away. Now you've got streams of hairstyles, and I think you've got to be realistic with your client as well and sit them down and say, hey, this is your hair texture, this is what we've got, and this is what we can do. But a lot of the times they're bringing in a photo because they're like the feeling, it's not that hairstyle itself. So you need us to think about their lifestyle is one thing to they blow right that often to the use ions do they have curly or straight? And then start diagnosing off that.
Speaker 2: Because I imagine you could say to people I couldn't do this, and you could leave here and looking like this, but you won't look like this tomorrow till you come back.
Speaker 3: And there's the biggest story, I think where we've got. You know, it's a picture, it's got a hairdresser, makeup artist, stylist, retoucher behind that, and we're having to dial it down a bit.
Speaker 2: So sorry, back to volume, so we can cut volume in, we can get it, We can help there. What about products, because it seems like every time I mentioned something, someone's very quick to sort of put a very expensive product in front of my face and I have to sort of say, I can afford the cut, I can't the color, but I can't afford the product. But the products make a difference.
Speaker 3: They make a difference. So I think it's a lot to like. Skincare is a big one to fall into that. So you've got a cleanser, which is your shampoo. You've got a condition, and that condition is mainly done for the hair itself, but you have got a scalp conditioner as well that you can't buy, so it is products on products. But if you think about your skincare is very similar. If you're wanting volume, I try to stay away from sea salt sprays like sulfates because it's going to create an irritant on the scalp and therefore you're going to get more itchy, dry scalp, more hairful out. So what I'd do with volume is I normally do a dry shampoo when it's tail dried on the scalp and those areas that you want volume, and I blow dry that in so it's like a powder that's going to absorb it a little bit of oil, but let's still allow the oils to come out as well.
Speaker 1: All right, So just putting the dry shampoo through, so we could do this at home. Of course, just putting the dry shampoo through might not do it, but actually blow drying it and spray and rush off.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think the biggest complaint with dry shampoos has a white residue and so as soon as you put it in your hare is slightly damp, starts sucking that the residue up, and then when you blow try it will just take that white film away as well.
Speaker 2: It's going to be tricky for me because I normally use the dry shampoo in the car as I'm on my way. My daughter and I share it on the way to work. She'll I'll be dropping her at school and she'll be spraying it in, and then I'll spread it and then we open the windows and we look like we've been vaping as it all as it all goes out the way, that white sort that part of it has put me off those. So that is a good one.
Speaker 3: And there is ones out that to have a tint in it, so you can use it almost as a retouched tint that will give you the same volume as well.
Speaker 1: Hey, look, something that seems to be occurring when we're talking about hair loss and thinning here or just having very thin Here are the products available that will help.
Speaker 2: I've heard about a nioxine is.
Speaker 3: That an oxen now no accent, is a shampoo and scalp conditioner, and you can get a booster th as well, so that all they say that sort of keeps seventy percent more hair in your head, which is a great thing. And again going through skincare in sort of trying to keep your scalp nourished and moisturize as well, and then putting a protective layer over the top so it's not getting artificial things coming back into your scalp.
Speaker 2: Is that off the shelf or is it from your salon?
Speaker 3: It's a sell on only products. It's an amazing product.
Speaker 2: So you're coming. If your hair is regrowing after chemo and it's coming back thinner than normal, that would be a good time tote.
Speaker 3: It's a great way to simulate the scalp. So that's what it's trying to do, is trying to bring more blood flow back to the scalp, and therefore it's followle is going to get more fed pretty much.
Speaker 2: And then is it something you have to continue using or will you actually over a period of time see an improvement in your hair and you're good.
Speaker 3: Well, this is an interesting one because we've gone through just not washing your hair so much, right, and so this one you've got to do a thirty day every day. It's a complete flip on the top of the head. But this is more about your averse dropout. They've got different levels from one to six and depending off it's treated or not treated, or how much hair you losing is what products you'll go on in that range.
Speaker 1: Okay, and also just the theory about maybe led light lights that's different again though Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's similar thought pattern where it's trying to bring simulation back to the actual follicle. So all we'res trying to do is bring blood flow back to your scalp area. And so you know, with products we're using, could be over trying your scalp as one thing, but what you're trying to do is flush it through with natural blood flow as your peaks one.
Speaker 1: So there are definitely new and interesting options for you know, thinning and losing here.
Speaker 3: It's getting more and more so I think it's a lot more research. I think as we're talking about today, it's now becoming a topic. We would just say nothing and just get a fringe. It will be that simple, but now we're discussing about you here. Fall out for females as well as males, and so females is one out of three as following that sort of fall out and males is one out of two.
Speaker 2: What about sick he and this is something which I've heard Louise talk about a lot. The bosfect as the weight of her hair sort of you know, makes you bend over in two Well.
Speaker 1: If I have it, so you were saying before, I have the the problem, and I think it has been since it's grown back post chemotherapy. But if I went shorter into a bob, I get the triangle, I get the buff better, and the stylist in the salon can get it slick ass. And then that's, as I say, the last time it ever looks like that until I go back. But I did have a recent not that recently. I had a cut not long ago, but just just took strips and strips from underneath. Is that how you deal with you? Can?
Speaker 3: I mean, you've got great hair for one thing? Is that just give you that strail? But the thing is, it's again it's trying to find the hairstyle that will create volume instudent areas of the head. So you could go for a bob if it was a little bit shorter at the back longer than the front. Therefore keep that weight in the front that's not triangling out. So there's a lot of things that you can talk to your hairdresser about. How could I create volume hair but still not make it triangular. It would be the biggest biggest thing. But it's again it could be down to products, yes something, Yeah, it could be down to he protect the sprays. Someone was the best thing you could get. It will give a bit more nourishment to the hair, not over dry it, but it will keep it quite sleek as well.
Speaker 1: And I have had to learn about heat protected to spray, particularly since going gray, because even the heat just yellows the hair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a big that's a big one too, because a lot of people don't understand that gray hair does go yellow. And so hence where you've got purple shampoos or conditioners that will counteract that a little bit.
Speaker 2: So is it naturally going yellow or is it the way we treat it in products we use?
Speaker 3: Ask good questions. Naturally going yellow? So even if you're in the sun, you'll still get some sort of bleach off the sun.
Speaker 1: That was prete So the other thing I was going to ask you about was will use serums on our faces?
Speaker 2: What is a hair serum?
Speaker 3: His terereum is a water silicon, So it's there's different forms out there, but it's pretty much what it is. So it can keep a coach over the hare if it's a serum. You've got serums now that have a treatment based inside it, So you've got set up woods, set wood and argon, and argon is the active ingredients for sleeking down their hair. But your setur wood and set wade draw out the moisture so it's not going oily, which is the biggest problem with silicons on the market. So you've got to really just it's like skinky. You've got to go through a few ranges, and oils can go from twenty dollars to one hundred and fifty, but it doesn't mean that you have to go to the extreme. So you can find one that's middle range that will work very well as well.
Speaker 2: And when do you use a serum?
Speaker 3: I would put it on when it's wet because when your here is wheat, your hair is open, so it can absorb a lot more product inside it. When it's dry, it can only go on the external layer. It's probably the best way to.
Speaker 2: Think, right, yeah, good, is it possible to put an effort into your hair twice a week, you know, style it well and make it last, you know, for a couple of days, and then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think please do I think that's the best way you should be doing it. You should be thinking about style one, Style two, Style three, rewash. I think the less you can wash your hair, the better it is for it. And there's amazing treatments out there that can revitalize those ends, give moisture back, and you're not having to wash it as much to start from scratch.
Speaker 1: Akin When you say the less, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: A week so sweet? Great? Yeah, so I think curly hair needs less personally, the more it has that, that's time to actually develop in the hair a lot better it comes down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I found it straight and needles as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's more shit. So if you're over washing your hair using sulfates, therefore you're stripping a lot of those natural oils off.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to share more than you probably want to hear. Bread But Lou and I we run together a couple times a week and we run uphills and that makes me sweet, even in the middle of winter. And I do sweet a lot. On My hair does sweat a lot. My head sweats a lot, and I hate that. So after a run, I want to wash my hair. Is there something else I can do there? I mean it sweats enough. I mean in summer in the humidity, you gotta wash it. Like sometimes I get home, I think I'll probably get away with a bit of dry shampoo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so oil can release oil as well. So if you feel like it's quite oily, you can put like an oil stem over the top, give it a blow dry. If it's wet, you probably will blow dried or let it try naturally, but you don't need to wash it as much. So those oils that are coming out of your scalping and running actually quite good oils. Okay, so your natural body is going to produce a great thing for your hair. Keep those, just try keep as much.
Speaker 2: Just try and keep a little bit more of them. That's franchise. That's it'll be bad. Yeah, hard. So if I get home, you don't wash it.
Speaker 3: If you if you need to, you can just you could just rinse it. I mean you're wet as it is. I'd imagine I run as well, and I look like a wet rat when I finish, So it's rinsed it out. So if you got all the natural sulfates that you release rents those way, you can put a little bit of conditioning if you want.
Speaker 2: I see what you're saying. But don't just do the shampoo the tradition, don't you know, you go through that whole Palaba won't give it a.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you won't need that. I mean I think day three you'll find those oil built up. But if you're renting it, that could be enough to just release the oil out.
Speaker 1: Okay, great thing telling Another little weird benefit of washing here only once a week. It's when you have your everything shower where you're doing everything, shaving legs and everything.
Speaker 2: You feel like Cinderella when you get that out.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know, every hugees I've even met said you're such a before and after Louise, But I'm even like that at home. I just feel so good, you know that day that I'm giving myself to treat myself.
Speaker 3: To treat Yeah, that's right, it's true.
Speaker 2: It was interesting just talking about products. You know, you've said, Look, there is such a range. At the end of the day. It comes down to sort of what you can afford, I suppose, and finding a range that works for you. You know, something that doesn't make your skullpit chi or you feel like you're getting your money's worth. Are there some good cheaper products that are just as good as expensive ones.
Speaker 3: I would stay with professional ranges. Yep, would be the best thought pattern. So you got your Sebastians your well as your lorrial is your so on. They've got a lot more research in them. Okay, it's pretty what comes down to. There's guys spend millions of dollars on a shampoo before they release it. So when I'm not saying grab it, but if you're going to grab one, there is a big difference between shampoos from a soup market compared to so so it's hard to judge between the two.
Speaker 2: Because I grabbed the old lorril off the shaft of the souper market that in the condition and you know what I'm not. I think maybe over time I noticed a difference. But compared to when I had the money to buy expensive shampoos, I think maybe if I just had I've got one sort of good product I put in to prevent the you know, before I dry, what did you call it?
Speaker 3: The heat protector, the hair protector.
Speaker 2: And I'm pretty sure that my hair is the same as when I was if you weren't washing it as often expensive.
Speaker 3: Now about the bars the bars are big, I think you're the bars are bee I mean, I've trialed them with clients. It's a hit and miss. I think it's again, like any skin care or hair treatment, it's unifying when that works and one that doesn't. There's even no shampoo shampoos out there as well, so there's a lot of things coming out on the market, but we're just studying that. But at this stage, we've got all the components in those shampoos and conditions that are helping.
Speaker 2: Best coverage for gray. Between salon visits.
Speaker 3: You've got little spray masks which are great, little sort of eyelash touch ups which are great if you're worried about it's coming out a little bit quicker as gray, talk to your hairstyles about it. So instead of just saturating your hair with color, maybe add a little bit of lightness where those grades are coming out so you can start sort of getting multi dimensional through that color.
Speaker 2: And I had that problem recently this year. My hair has been growing so fast. The red growth has been coming back really really quickly, like much quicker than normal, And I'm thinking, on, this isn't good.
Speaker 3: Hi T hi T. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the old estrogen's kind of which is great. I love it. I love the fact my hair's growing really fast. But it's actually hugely inconvenient as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I was gonna ask quite obviously don't have the root problem. But and that is a liberating feeling, I will say, but do people have to come back so they could do something other than coming back every three weeks to get their roots done?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, you deficly can. You can put wherever the heirline is. You can start putting lighter pieces through that hairline or that wherever that part is, so you're making it multidin insual instead of one tone all over the head, and you're just seeing those gray roots come out. So where those gray roots you can start filtering out with a lighter color. Doesn't mean you have to go blanche. There's a grand kind of look at sort of fels to it, but it's but you can still start maintaining it. But a little bit better sit up forsiting us as much.
Speaker 2: Is that how you do transition?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Great, So if you decide if you're thinking, okay, I'm done, Yeah, So how long can it take to transition? I suppose it depends on how gray you are.
Speaker 3: Right, It depends on how gray you are that's a really good So the thing is as well as how much they want to release, because sometimes you want to do it part by part, so it might want to do front hairline first and then start growing into that. A lot of my clients will do front hairline because it's quite a cute money piece in a sense, and then you start moving from that backwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think after through lockdown there are a lot of women who transistioned.
Speaker 3: Yeah I was gonna say that, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was on Instagram and everything too, and some were pretty bloody severe, but they weren't going out, so who came it?
Speaker 3: And then she chopped it to a bob and there she was. Yeah, and I love gray hair. I think it's absally amazing. It's sort of it's good to see it actually have a trend now because they're always about cover it up, cover it up, and now it's about it's actually embraced it, which is really nice.
Speaker 1: And do you find yourself saying to someone, look, it's time, like the here is not carrying in color anymore, or.
Speaker 3: As your hair gets great, it gets more resistant, so therefore it's not going to deposit it's color as much. But there is colors now that can break through that layer. So it's deeper pigments which will go deeper into the cuticle. But it's more about their emotional ready. So you've got clients that will go, I'm kind of ready, and then you'll put a few lighter pieces in and the oh no, that's just put it back to where it was. So you've got to be just at that stage of your life. But again we've got clients from thirty five to so on that will say, let's go great. So it's more of a trend.
Speaker 2: Is it a terrible thing that I have been dyeing my hair probably for thirty years? Does it damage my hair? Does it damage my skull? Is there any not?
Speaker 3: Now? It depends and again what color you're using. So if you're using a supermarket shampoo, yeah, it's going to be overprocessed. It'll be it's a stronger color itself in the packet. So as the starlet's we've got to think about hair condition. You're undertone of color that you've got naturally, and then we start balancing it off that. But when you're grabbing it off the shelf, it's the strongest color you can buy.
Speaker 1: I do recall some days after having children, you know, postpartum and stuff and not having any money, not having any time, and using supermarket hair colors and the stinging on the scalp was pretty pretty bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's got a higher peroxide level normally, normally it as so, I mean peroxide is what opens it up, allows it to deposit into the hair. Yes, so therefore it's stronger and your hair therefore it's more damaging as well.
Speaker 2: Gray hair can look more coarse. Is that the case? What does it depend on your hair?
Speaker 3: It is more course, yes, so it's got more melanin, less melanine, sorry, and more modulla. Modilla is your air sex inside their hair, and so your melanin, which is the actual color, softens the hair out. So hence why if you get a fresh color, go all my hair for your soft and shiny and luxurious and then it wears off and so then it goes back to course.
Speaker 1: Right, So do we have products that we can put topically that will give us the same effect.
Speaker 3: You've got oils, you've got treatments, you've got things like that. Hydrate is a really big thing about hair as well. So we always talk about protein. Protein is a hardening product in the hair keeps the bonds together, but you need moisture so it can flex around a bit more so if you've got less moisture, therefore it's going to get a little bit brittle in the hair as well.
Speaker 2: So is that what you do? Maybe your mask once a week or something like.
Speaker 3: That, or even a Levin. Levin's great, so you can put it in when you shampoo your hair, you put in a leaving treatment and then it's pretty much does its job for you. But you've got a treatment space for the internal structure of the hair, and your kindishs for the external structure of the hair as well.
Speaker 2: So we've learned that you could actually just wash your hair once or twice a week. How often should you have a cut?
Speaker 3: That's a good one to say. I think I'm a little bit biased because I think curly hair needs less if it's cut well. Long hair, same thing. Short hair, because it grows out of shape, needs more. So it's more about the condition of your hair itself than it is about the time between it. If you're doing all your beauty dreams at home, it should longer.
Speaker 1: Personally, I had a FIXI for quite a while after where my hair grew back because I wasn't really sure what to do with it, and it doesn't grow back like you know, perfectly right, and it would have been for me.
Speaker 3: I liked it.
Speaker 1: I look back on photos and go it was kind of cute. But it's just the upkeep. It's funny, isn't it, That short heat hair can It might be like through the week easier, but you do have to make that time to get back to the salon.
Speaker 3: It's mains sense. Yeah, I mean, surely here it's going to be more mainsonance, sure.
Speaker 2: Stretch coming from the Did you didn't you get your hair cut once a year recently? Yes, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is where the whole little end big enne thing comes in. I'm not very good at sitting in a chair.
Speaker 2: I'm just not very good. You must have other clients.
Speaker 3: Seconds. This is hard for me. Yeah, I'm exactly.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if the if the person was to talk to me, I mean, gosh, it must be hard making conversation all day long.
Speaker 3: That's what I love about my job is learning about people's lifestyles, about their their upbringings, what they do, and it sort of helps you as well when you're doing the hairstyle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So just to wrap up, if there was one thing we were going to do, like maybe get two haircuts again, if there was one thing we were going to do for the health of our hair and so that it kind of looked a little bit better, what would you suggest.
Speaker 3: I've invest in your right product range, and your diet is key. Your diet speak one light, lots of water, all that sort of stuff that we always talk about. You've got to just keep that hydration level as well. But if you're not using the right products your scalp, it's going to get dryer, and therefore you're going to have more fall out and you're going to find it hardest to your hair as well. Bred.
Speaker 2: It has been a delight to talk to you. I'm absolutely thrilled now that I can go for runs and get a bit sweaty and it's my hair and I'm just going to I'm going to relax on that and not sort of fit. I just get so conscious of like, oh God, we're here, But now I'm just gonna chill on it. I'll tell you if it's thank you and hairspray in that.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm sure there are lots more questions out there, and maybe we'll have you back again sometime, but it's been really enlightening.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Thank you you're listening to the little things. And that was haircare expert Brad Leaper answering lots of little questions we had about our hair, and coming up next in part two, doctor Catstone joins us to talk about the latest in cosmetic procedures. We'll be back shortly after this break, all right. So during our conversation last season with doctor Karen McDonald, Louise I spoke about those lines I decided I didn't need between my eyebrows were surplus to requirements. They were making me feel rather miserable because I just looked angry and tired and miserable the whole time, and that's not how I actually felt. So I did something about it, and a fabulous technician blessed Sally years of experience and knowledge. And I've been having a few botox a few years now and between my eyebrows, and it does. It makes me feel good, makes me feel better. But I'm kind of curious about I think that that's probably a very minimal use of botox, So keen to find out sort of what botox and fillers and other things are all about and what we can achieve without surgery. That's right.
Speaker 1: You know you've had a really positive experience with injectables. You know, I tried botox a few times. I liked it, But do you remember when the injector hit that vessel and had that bruise. I got a little bit needleshy after that. So I'm hoping that this may get me over that little out fear. And a friend had some that went wrong and she could barely open her eye for weeks, which you know, the only remedy was time. It affected her social life and her working life. But she hadn't been to a doctor.
Speaker 2: It wasn't it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It was one of those parties.
Speaker 3: So you know.
Speaker 1: Doctor Kat is an award winning cosmetic doctor with a holistic focus who bioreads that she passionately helps people transform both there in air and out of beauty so that they can achieve their goal of living the best life possible. We love that, that's what we're all about. So she's the founder of The Face Place and an expert in non surgical cosmetic procedures. Welcome, doctor kat Stone. Hi really pleased to be here today. I think we're going to have fun.
Speaker 2: We're very pleased you are here. Let's start with botox and fillers, because I think it's the thing that most women are familiar with, they hear all the time. What I'm curious about, though, is that I think for a lot of women, you might find an area that you think you want to start on, and then you end up on a little bit of a treadmill and you just want to keep adding and you want to keep doing more and things like that. If you commit to botox, is that what happens? Do you kind of get sucked in and end up kind of going down a bit of a rabbit hole with it.
Speaker 4: It shouldn't be like that, to be honest, if you've got a good clinician. I think one of the most important things that having a good relationship with a good clinician is that they get to know the overall person and they know when to say no. And I think that's one of the most important skills that a clinician industry should have, is knowing when to say no and how to kindly say actually no.
Speaker 2: I don't think that that's going to suit.
Speaker 4: You, and you know, it is one of those things that's it's like having your nails done or having a here done in terms of it makes us feel good about ourselves, and so there's a really nice feeling that comes with it. There's also some really good research that shows that treating with botox, especially through the frown area, can help with mood disorders like depression as well as headaches. So there's other benefits with it as well. But if you stop it, the world isn't going to stop. Your face isn't going to collapse. We know this because we have a lot of people. We won't treat people who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Obviously, we treat a lot of people who are in that age group, and so sometimes we'll have people who have done botox for maybe a couple of years or a year, they get pregnant. We're like, go away, happy baby, have a great time. They start breastfeeding, they feel pregnant again, that breastfeeding again, and then they have maybe a four year gap of having having their treatments and they'll come back to us and be like, Okay, I finished breastfeedling. I would really like to look like myself again, much like you say, and then we look back at the photos of what they look like beforehand, and even though it's been four years, the muscles are back to what they were previously. Often the lines aren't quite back to what they were.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the question of when do you start then, you know, should you start young or should you actually wait until me Because.
Speaker 1: Some the words prophilectic botox thrown around, which just means before you have an issue kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Is that real?
Speaker 4: There's another thing called prejuvenation, So rather than readjuvenation, it's prejuvenation. To be honest with you, I don't believe in treating unless there is something to treat, and so yes there are occasionally For me personally, I had lines across my forehead when I was nineteen, and in that instance, if it's someone who has something to treat, or if someone with a recessive chin that throws their facial balance out, then okay, yes, let's talk about it. But it's not just treating the physical. It's looking at Okay, well, what are your intentions with this? Where are you wanting to go with this? It's not just treating for the sake of treating.
Speaker 1: So it's not always an age related thing. It could just be a cosmetic related thing. I mean, actually, when I think about it, my eyes have been lined for as long as I can remember. Well, it's not really an age thing. I think it's a familial thing. We all have quite big laughter lines or what if you like to call and crows feet, and I was trying to address those with botox. I'm really fascinated by that that you can have botox, you don't have to be going back every three months or whatever.
Speaker 2: How often do people come back.
Speaker 4: If you want to maintain the results, then on average around about every three months. But it's also going to depend on the dose that is being used. So this is a medication, and the higher the dose we use, the longer it's going to last for And I belief there's a real balance with you know, you can slam a face with botox and have someone looking really frozen and it's going to last six months.
Speaker 2: But is that the ideal outcome for me?
Speaker 4: No, there's a real balance of working out for the individual, tailoring their results. So it's like, okay, cool, well we want to use the lowest dose that's going to stop you from making the lines or pulling your brows down or whatever it is that we're trying to treat, but also get an appropriate length of time, and generally we find that that's around about every three months with the doses that we're using. I would rather use lower doses more frequently, just so that people still have facial expression, because it's a really important part of our communication process. And you called them laughter lines, like the crowsfeet are laughter lines. One of the examples is I would not want to obliterate someone's laughter lines, because all of a sudden, if you do that, their smile doesn't seem genuine. And so we want to look what actually is great about someone's face and enhance it as much as we want to soften out the things that are distracting or aging.
Speaker 2: So if I stopped putting the boytops in my forehead my face, my face won't fall.
Speaker 4: Off, your face will not full life, I can guarantee that. But over time those lines, so the first thing that would happen, it's that the muscle contraction would come back normal, and then slowly over time you would find those lines continue to etch in. But because what we're doing, if we're using it.
Speaker 2: For lines and wrinkles.
Speaker 4: Now, I haven't issue with it being called anti wrinkle because there are so many more things that we can do with it other than just treading lines and wrinkles. I mean, there's over seventy different medical conditions to start with.
Speaker 3: That we can use it on.
Speaker 2: So I call it in neurine modulator.
Speaker 4: And what we wanted to do is to relax the muscles so that they stop banging the skin together, because that's what etches in the lines. Now, when we're younger, our skin cells are healthy, they can repair the damage. As we get older, we start to have skin cells are a little bit lazier, They're not as able to do the repair, and we start to do more damage than what we can repair. And all we're doing with botox and the other neuromodulators is that we are changing that balance. So we're reducing the damage so that the skin can have space to repair itself. And I mean, you talk about with your kids is one rep on the other, but it's actually like we go through a period of stress where we might be frowning a little bit more, we're changing that balance again, We're like creating more damage for the skin to then repair. Again, it's that balancing act of let's be honest, most people don't miss their frown the balancing act. I believe the two hardest areas of the face to treat well are actually the forehead because it's this is the only muscle that lifts the eyebrows up, and the eyebrows are massively important in our communication, and the crow's feet because if we're not completely those then it changes the smile and that changes the personality of the person absolutely.
Speaker 1: And would they also coincidentally be the places that people come wanting botox the most.
Speaker 2: They're probably the ones.
Speaker 4: So fround, forehead and crow's feet are what we call on label indications of boatox, and the other more cosmetic key one is excessive sweating. So those are the ones that we can talk about in advertising or when we're talking outside of the consultation room. We can only talk about the off label indications when we're in the consultation room. And let's just say, there's a lot of other things that we can treat with botox all through the face and through other areas as well, in terms of other medical conditions which I can't talk about now, But if people do want to kind of ask about I'm really happy to you know, if they come into my Instagram, I can personally answer.
Speaker 2: Question interesting intriguing.
Speaker 4: In fact, have fillers overtaken botox, they do different things, so the work really well together. So with boatocks, we're working on the muscles of facial expression and we're reducing the damage that those muscles are doing, or we're rebalancing the muscles in the face, and we can also use them. How can I say this without breaking advertising guidelines? We can also use them and other muscles in the face to help with concerns outside of facial expression. I'm going to talk about it anyway. I might just get a slap on the hand, but the indication is meant to be coming out shortly, which is using boatocks in the jaw for teeth blinding and jaw pain. And I've been doing it since two thousand and four. Was the first to start using it in New Zealand. And that's because I had a vested interest and I am someone who grinds my teeth quite badly. I think I bit through three bite plates before I started using botox. And yeah, it's transformed my headaches and how I live life.
Speaker 1: So yeah, whoa, Yeah, that's fascinating. We think so much about the cosmetic casepects genuine health, it seems count it and children not to be able to talk about the health benefits.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's it's a little bug bear of mine. There's a lot of other things that have a massive impact for people have heard about the sweeting. The excessive sweating is that directed at the in your umputs or the on label indication is directed at the umpets, there are off label indications. Basically, if you think about anywhere that has speciatics localized excessive sweating.
Speaker 2: We can't do generalized.
Speaker 4: So the filler works differently to bowtops. Yes, so filler by definition fills things up. So it's about replacing volume.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: One of the biggest changes is in their bone, and we lose bone as we get older, so our ice lookts get bigger. The mid faces collapses around the soe the whole. You know, if you look at the skull, the whole for the nose widens, the chin shrinks. One of the big big changes is that the angle of the daw is lost. So as we lose the angle of the jaw, the chin shrinks. The zygoma which is the cheekbone deplete, the temples hollow that contributes to sor I know, I know, it's depressing. So we have those changes in the bones, which we can replace with thermal folla. We also then have changes in the deep fat pads, which are kind of our structure shape fat pads, and so we can replace those with so bone we're using like dempse fillars. The deep fat pads, we're using moderately dempse fillars. If we're going into we've got the muscle layer, which we use the neuromodulators like botox for, and then we've got the superficial fat layer, which is just underneath the skin, between the between the muscle and the skin, and that's kind of like our cushioning, our padding. It's you know, as we get older, those fat pads drink and you can start to see the separation of the fat pads. One of the common ones is the mid facial cheek groove or the mid facial growth the naser j naso jogal groove, and that is like the separation of the fet pads. You've got a ligament that sits there and you've got the bony change that happens. It means that the ligament SAgs, and so that, for example, might be something that we treat by replacing with a little filler on the bone, a little for the deep fat pads, and then a little bit of filler into the superficial fat pads to just naturally replace all those areas that have been lost and give a very subtle beautiful It's a restoration rather than making you look like something different.
Speaker 2: What is the filler? What is the chemical that you're putting in.
Speaker 4: So it's actually higher on a cacid, which is found naturally in our body. So the majority of the fillers that are used these days, so filler is a broad term, the ones that are most commonly used these days made from higher in a acid. And if we put hailer in a cacid in the skin, so hiler on a cacid's job and our body is to attract water and create plumpness, and it's one of the things that we lose from our skin and from our tissues as we age, which is why our skin gets thinner, dryer, and more fridge on on. So we're putting something back into the skin that's normally there. If we put it in the skin in its natural form, it would disappear in a few days because we turn over a third of our own natural higher on a acid every day, and so for it to stay there, we need to stabilize it. And so there are different ways of it being stabilized that give it different properties. And that's where for example, I mainly use the Juviadom range. We've got a few others that we use. I mainly use the Juviadom range. But within that range is I call them a different paint brushes. We use them for different things, so we can use them at different levels, so bone deep fat, superficial fat, and also into the skin these days as well to help stimulate collagen and are lesstin in the skin as well as the hydration.
Speaker 2: What's become a parent cat is that women are going to be dealing with a whole lot of different issues from just their appearance in the way they look, the way they feel, medical issues actually, you know, like it's so much broader the what you can use botox and fillers for. Is there a commonality between what women come and tell you that they'd like or what their issue is.
Speaker 4: Often people are coming in and it's not specifically A some people.
Speaker 2: Will come in and go, I want my frown tree shy.
Speaker 4: Generally it will be coming in and being like, I feel like I look tired, I feel like I look sacking a lot, I feel like I look angry.
Speaker 2: Restoration that you used before, Yeah, they just want to want to refresh, So that that sort of and so I suppose really often botox and a filler, they are kind of the main two answers.
Speaker 4: That kind of the most commonly aware of. There's a lot of other things that There's a lot of other tools on our toolbox. And so another favorite of mine is something called platelet rich plasma, which is where we use the healing parts of your own blood.
Speaker 2: This is the vampire vampire FACI.
Speaker 4: Is that right. Vampire facial is one of the things we can do with PP. And I'm actually one of the official trainers for the vampire treatments. So if we separate it out PP, if we look at PP as a big group, the vampire treatments are a small part of what PP can do. PRP what we mainly use it for at the clinic. It's great for that fine creepy skin under the eyes. We use it for people who are experiencing hair loss, both men and women, and we also use it for sexual rejuvenation and intimate wellness, so for leaky bladder with women, it helps with orgasm. With guys, it helps with erection, so with erect ol dysfunction.
Speaker 2: So how do you do that?
Speaker 3: How does that help?
Speaker 4: Well, we inject it into the tissue that it helps regenerate. So how PRP works in general is that we take a sample of blood. We spin it, so we take your own blood, just like a blood test. It gets fun in a centrifugion some special tubes, and then we get rid of the red cells so they're heavier, they go to the bottom. The tubes kind of are designed to separate out and we just have your own platelets and plasma and that's the special, wonderful magic mix of cytokines and growth factors. So basically messages that tell your body to bring the stem cells in to come and repair whatever tissues we put them into. So yeah, it's kind of it's a regenerative process that we're telling the body what needs to be repaired. It comes in. If nothing needs to be repaired, it goes, oh well, I'm hearing away as well, do something positive and we start to see an improvement in the tissues.
Speaker 1: Sorry for a rectual dysfunction for a second, Yes, that goes straight into the penis.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, so yeah, And whenever I say that men and more automatically cross their legs.
Speaker 2: We use a really good numbing cream.
Speaker 4: Surprisingly it doesn't hurt, so I think it's a really good numbing cream. But men who have severe erectal dysfunction will actually inject their penis themselves with something called trimax, and the needle they use for that's huge compared to what we use, ten teeny tiny needles and there's not a lot of them so and even fewer for women women men as five injections, woman is two into the vagina, one into the vagina, and one unto the clutoress. So the vagina doesn't hurt. The clorous rangers from didn't feel a thing to But it's over pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: And what would you expect to be what happens after that?
Speaker 4: So it depends on what it's what we're doing for, and often if it's for a leaky bladder, especially if it's urging continents, which is the one where if you're doing star jumps, well you can't.
Speaker 2: You won't do star jumps.
Speaker 4: That will often have an immediate impact because we're creating support around the urethra, which is the tube that comes out from the bladder. We're creating support around the eurethra immediately worth putting the PRP there. Now. Sometimes that will go away as the water that's in the PRP dissipate, and then it all slowly improve.
Speaker 3: Again over the next few weeks to months, and.
Speaker 4: We generally will find that around about six weeks is when we're starting to Some people will notice changes around about three weeks, three to six weeks. We'll do a follow up at six weeks, and then we do another follow up at three months. Sorts of changes that we tend to see for the urinary incontinents laky bladder often complete improvement, or if it's not a complete improvement, it's a partial improvement. For the sexual rejuvenation side of things, you know, there's a large number of women who've never orgasmed the so it helps with sensation lubrication, so great for people who are like you're our breast cancer survivors. We treat a lot of people who have been on tmoxfin lectrozole genital symptoms of menopause, women who have painful sex. It can often be helpful for so we've also used it in vaginal mesh pain to bring the pain of mesh pain down, sensation, lubrication, oh, orgasm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that guy, And that's why it's called the shot shot. It's the orgasm shot. Yeah. It's amazing the number of these podcasts that we do that Vagina's comer, but that's just absolutely fascinating.
Speaker 1: And I'm just thinking, So, I know that you I'm not saying you should, but a lot of people go elsewhere for botox or they'll have a botox party or whatever. I know, I know, I know Cara felt the same way, and I agree, But no one's doing these O shots on the download anywhere are they.
Speaker 2: You'd have to see a doctor for that, you.
Speaker 4: So, O shot is a licensed procedure, so you have to And I mentioned I'm one of the trainers for the shot and one of the global trainers, have been since twenty fifteen, and so to be able to talk about the shot and providing the O shot, you have to not only have been trained in the procedure, you also have to pay a licensing fee, small small amount, but a licensing fee, which means that there will also be continual upgrades to the knowledge of It's not just one and done. It's like, actually, we want people to continually improve their techniques and it helps us then feed into things like research into the treatments as well. But I mean there's so many other things, So there's other treatments that we do for the sexual juvenation as well, not just the PP.
Speaker 2: So cat the botox, the filler is the PP. Obviously there's risks involved with everything, but how risky are they?
Speaker 4: I would say botoxs and PP You know, there have been no serious long term effects of being seen with either of those dermal fillers. And this is a little bugbear of mine, is that unregistered people can inject dermal fillers because it's only seen as a medical device, not a prescription medicine, and that is not an invitation for anybody to go out and do this. By the way, there are terrifying side effects that can happen if you don't know what you're doing, and probably one that has become more commonly known has been things like vascular occlusion, which is a blockage of a blood vessel. Now, if there is a block blood vessel and we're using a higher on a acid filler, we can dissolve the filler if the person knows what they're looking for and they have told the patient also what to look for, and if we dissolve that fillow within the first few hours or first couple of days, the skin comes back from them.
Speaker 3: What it's not a problem.
Speaker 4: However, if it's missed or if someone doesn't know what they're doing and they're like, oh, that's just a breeze.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't worry about It's just a breeze.
Speaker 4: We went into a cold saw and a week later this person has their tissue dying on them. They're going to end up with scarring in. Probably the worst possible version of this is a filler related blindness, which there have now been cases of filler related stroke as well, which is you know, it's extremely rare. Been about five hundred cases worldwide of the filler related blindness. There has been one case in New Zealand. There are the higher risk area for it is through the nose and the frown area with fillers, so not with boatops, botos very safe through this area. Yeah, it's something that people have to know how to manage and how to deal with. And then there's infection, nodules, all the other things that you have to have someone who knows how to prevent it festival, Yeah, recognize it if it happens, and knows how to manage it and can supply the holler On a day's enzyme.
Speaker 2: To dissolve it. And that's a prescription medicine. So don't go to the nail sellon on that is now offering boatogs. It's about making sure like my lovely Sally registered nurves been doing it forever, goes to every conference, is on top of every latest piece of information, you know, like I just wouldn't let anybody else go anywhere near my face, you know, really onto it totally.
Speaker 4: That's exactly how it should be. And I think I know exactly the Sally you're talking about. So yeah, it's anybody can pick up a pencil and draw, but it takes training, it takes talent, and it takes time to actually draw a masterpiece. So are you going to trust your face to someone who's going to turn you into a Picasso or would you prefer to be more like a Leonardo da Vinci. You know that there's so much more to it. I mean, therese are medical procedures as well. It's not just that there's the artistry, there's the science, but these are medical procedures. There are some instances where it's not appropriate to have either bow shocks or dermal fillows, where it might increase the risk of side effects. And by going to someone who knows what they're doing, who has medical training, then you're going to reduce You're going to increase the chanceferring a great result and reduce the risk of having side effects.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of us are looking for you know, we might want something that we want to avoid surgery, and in your experience, many of these things things that can give perhaps not the exact same as a facelift, but close enough that somebody will be satisfied.
Speaker 4: I think that there is a you know, let's look thirty years ago, and it was basically you could have a facial and your nails down, and then the next stick was a facelift. I think what's happened is we've now just got all these wonderful choices in between. There is definitely a point where surgery is appropriate, and this is part of the learning when to say no. Is that I have seen some people who have ended up looking very strange because they've had an injector who has wanted to try and treat the sagging and has just filled their face with more and more and more volume, rather than turning around and going, actually, that's a lot of saggy skin. Probably the best thing for you is to go and have a chat with a surgeon, or let's find a way to make it so that it's okay for you, but we're not going to try and obliterate the saggi skin by making you look like a puffy round ball. I've personally will still go. I've had a bluffroplastis, I've had an eyelid lift, and I will probably when I'm about fifty five ish go and have a facelift if.
Speaker 2: I need it.
Speaker 4: But I'm hoping that with all the regenerative stuff I'm doing, you know, I'm maintaining my fat pads, I'm replacing volume for my bone. Hopefully, even if I do need it, I'm not going to need something that's as dramatic as well it would have been twenty or thirty years ago and all we had was facial through.
Speaker 2: To face off. Thank you so much for today. I think if you're honesty and all that information, it's so much broader than i'd kind of anticipated when it comes to just those cosmetic procedures, isn't it. Yeah, And it is a reminder that they're incredibly useful tools to help other things apart from just the facts you're fed up with looking angry and tired in the mirror. I think being fed up about being angry and tired is a reason enough. Thank you, Louise. It's a really good reason.
Speaker 4: And there's also other things that we can do, and I could probably come back into a whole other podcast all the other things that we do as well.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's just been amazing. I really really appreciate and.
Speaker 1: You know, look, I've had people say to me, can you talk about those O shots? So we've ticked that box as well. Absolutely brilliant. Thank you so much, Kat for joining us.
Speaker 2: My absolute pleasure.
Speaker 1: Was expects were fascinating as usual. What did you learn about your hair friendships?
Speaker 2: I'm hugely related that I needed to keep shampooing and conditioning quite as often as I thought I was. I'm still I'm going to be honest, I'm still not sure if I believe Brad that a rince is going to be fine, But I am going to give it a whirl and full credit to Brad if he's nailed it. Yeah, and you know that, you know, we'll tell you thank you for crazy me. I noticed you said that your hair looked really good. You didn't say anything about mine, so that just made me a little bit. I just got a little bit like, oh, hong on, well he was in the studio. I do look at it. I'm not going to missplit ends going that girl needs a cut, but I'm too polite to tell her.
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess here. Yeah, no, No, that was really interesting. Good to know. You know.
Speaker 1: I like to know what the active ingredients are to be looking for in any product I buy so I don't waste my money. So I found that really interesting. Yeah, I just in general learning, Oh gosh, that that whether it went to worry about how much he is falling out of head. I'm going to stop worrying about it, and he thinks I've got a palmful head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I just thought that statistic one in three women hair sort of more hair loss than they head like, And I, why are we talking about this because it's obviously happening and there are things that we can do about it. So I'm really glad we covered that off.
Speaker 1: Anyone who works with me can see it's well, I share. Yeah, when it's silver, it's it's it's shiny. What about our second guest, Cat?
Speaker 2: Oh, I really enjoyed listening to Cat because she's just sort of so honest about it all and talking about the pros and cons and the risks involved and things like that. I thought that was really interesting and I just liked hearing kind of it from a little bit more of a medical kind of approach as to how it all works and things. Oh, I'm just hugely relieved if I stop, my face went fall off your faces my frown won't completely kind of No, no, no, you're all good. Yes.
Speaker 1: I was very interested in the medical applications of botox and the platelets, the information around that and how it can enhearts more than just our face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And but I enjoyed her talking about the medical reasons, like we just often think of the cosmetic, how these how these products can be used for cosmetic reasons, but actually we might have some other issues in our life that were a bit embarrassed to talk about, but we should because you'd be amazed at the solutions out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the grinding your teeth, who knew that was fascinating. I was thinking more about issues with you vagina, but.
Speaker 2: Up the bottom. So on that note, thanks for joining us on our new Zealand Herald podcast series Little Things. We hope you share this podcast with the women in your life so we can all go out into the world with our best hair at any Asian stage and you know what out apvhaginis.
Speaker 1: You can follow this podcast on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and for more on this and other topics, here to ziad Herald dot co dot
Speaker 2: Nz and we'll catch you next time on the Little Things