Speaker 1: Exchange traded funds are a trillion dollar story. A trillion dollars flowing into them in the year to May in the US so far twenty three trillion dollars all together. How do you get a handle on numbers that big? What's driving them? Tom Bentley from Smart joins me to get to grips with the numbers and who is investing in ETFs? I'm Garth Bray. This is shared.
Speaker 2: Lunch investing involves the risk you might lose the money you start with. We recommend talking to a licensed financial advisor. We also recommend reading product disclosure documents before deciding to invest. Everything you're about to see and here is current at the time of recording.
Speaker 1: Tommy, start with that trillion dollar figure. It's a huge amount of money moving into a particular sector of the market. What is behind that?
Speaker 3: It's really a continuation of a story that's been going on for a number of years now. You know ETF funds and management's been growing rapidly for a long time, and the numbers just keep getting bigger. I think it comes down to a couple of key things. What is I think investors increasingly just looking for simple, transparent investments ETF certainly fit the bill there, and increasingly we've seen investors moving into online platforms where they can essentially pick their own investments, and ETFs are really a great way of enabling people to do that because you get instant diversification in a single trade. You know, you can pick across all sorts of different markets, asset classes, thematic opportunities, and it's a great, simple, transparent and low cost way to create portfolio. So I really think that's a big driver of the story.
Speaker 1: It's hard to go past the AI theme in investing at the moment. Has that fueled a lot of extra flow into the menic ETFC obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it has. At the margin again, you know, if you break down that trillion dollars this year, I think you'll probably find there's still a huge amount of that flow going into what we would call core x like SP five hundred, then as that one hundred, you know, global MSCI type strategies. I think at the margin you're seeing more interest and more flow into some of those thematic areas like AI. But bear in mind with AI, I mean some of the big AI companies aren't even listed yet, so you're sort of scrabbling around for things like you know, AI adjacent strategies like chip chips and memory and data centers and that kind of thing. Most of those flows, as I say, are still going into the really the core sort of you know, basic sm P five hundred type strategies. And in fact, you know, you may have seen last month, I think the Vanguard US five hundred ETF went through a trillion US dollars just on its own. So that's one ETF now that's trillion US dollars. So still seeing huge flows into those strategies.
Speaker 1: It feels to me like they're a little bit new, but they've been around for a long time. Can you tell me a bit about the history and how long Smart's been involved. Sure.
Speaker 3: So the original ETF or the very first ETF, I think was lunch in the early nineties. That was a SMP SPDR it was called, and that was a US equity ETF, and that really came out of the market crash in nineteen eighty seven where the regulators have identified a need for sort of a very large liquid pool of money the US equities and Smart was actually surprisingly quite hard on the heels of the first TTF. We launched our first ETF in New Zealand in nineteen ninety six, and depending on which version of your favorite AI you use, were either the third or the fourth market in the world to launch GTF in New Zealand. So we've been at it for just over thirty years now. We celebrated our thirtieth anniversary in June this year.
Speaker 1: And what has thirty years taught you about how to prepare them?
Speaker 3: But we started very small. I guess we had one ETF just tracking the top ten stocks in New Zealand. And you know, we now offer forty four different funds across multiple markets and asset classes. I think what, you know, what we've learned along the way is, you know, don't try and be all things to all people. You know, we haven't launched hundreds of ets. You know, we believe that there are some pretty good, low cost core exposures that most investors need, and then that you can add around that core sort of satellite exposures. But yeah, keep it simple, make sure that you're launching products that people actually want and are interested in, and yeah, just keep going out there and telling the story. You know, it's been a pretty slow burn for US's it took probably twenty five years odd twenty years to get to a billion dollars and five years to go from a billion to almost six billions, So it's been a pretty slow burn, but you know, we just keep telling the story and it's starting to resonate.
Speaker 1: Now, what do you think has amplified things so much in those last sort of five or sixty years.
Speaker 3: I think a big part of it, honestly is the role of platforms like chairs E's, which have just enabled a lot more investors to get into ETFs with much smaller amounts of money. I think the big game changer was COVID, where people had the time to sit and think and research and learn about investing. And I think, you know, certainly shares He's had a lot of success through that period. So it's really been a story of the I guess the democratization of investing just enabling more and more people to get involved, to try out different things and using ets. You know, it's a lower risk way of doing it than trying to pick one or two individual companies.
Speaker 1: And yet there are some ETFs that are quite kind of highly concentrated. So I'd like to sort of break it open a little bit. To what extent are they being used still traditionally to get easy diversification. To what extent are they almost like incredibly targeted approaches to a theme or even just a small number of trades.
Speaker 3: I'd really sort of look at the market in two ways. One one is, you know a lot of investors still use those very low cost core exposures for most of their portfolios. And then you know, where people are interested in a particular theme or asset class, you know, or they believe that that will have, you know, will go well over the next few years. Ets just enable them to access those types of opportunities in a sort of reasonably well diversified way without having to pick the winners and losers in a sector. So if you take US Technology, for example, you could try and pick one or two stocks in the US Tech or you can just buy an ETF that has all of them. So we are seeing investors, even in those more concentrated, more targeted opportunities, still using ETFs to get diversified exposure to a particular sector or theme.
Speaker 1: There's one particular one floating around at the moment that the Memory ETF that picked up something like ten billion dollars worth of funds I think in fifty days that yeah, I mean that almost sounds like a meme coin to me at this point, or a meme stock, rather than like a sensible bet. Is there a little bit of marketing in this as well as some fundamentals about where the company's underlying that ETFs.
Speaker 3: It, I guess one of my great actions in life has shown me the incentive and I'll show you the outcome. And you know, if people think there's money's we made in a particular sector, then you're more or less guarantee a ETF we'll be launched in that sector, you know. I would I would caution investors that if you want to play some of those themes and opportunities, it still pays to be diversified, you know, just take a more measured approach to some of those thematic opportunities.
Speaker 1: And I suppose if you're looking at some of the more rarefied ETFs that are sitting around out there, there's been a lot of interest in quite highly leveraged ones as well. Can you explain a little bit about what might be the attraction there, what might be some of the risks that are involved in getting into that kind of financial product.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so leverage dutfs essentially enable you to take a sort of two to three times exposure to a market or a thing or an individual stock. Even so you know, if you think about the S and P five hundred, you might get a two or three times leveraged ETF that essentially, if the market goes up ten, you go up thirty percent, give or take. But it does work both ways, so you know, if the market goes down ten, you go down thirty. So you know, leverage gts basically enable investors to take a very high conviction bet directional bet on a market or a stock. So not for the faint hearted, you know that Again, I'd say they have a place in portfolio as if you have a more high risk approach or we like a more high risk approach. But again I would certainly not put all your eggs in one basket in leverage gtfs. And then the other type of levi ETF is on the other side, so they make money when the market goes down. So you know, you can choose directional bets either way on the market, but you know there are risks if you choose an ETF which goes up when the market goes down. Obviously it goes down when the market goes up, so it kind of works both ways.
Speaker 1: Are there any kind of I suppose different market interpretations around what kind of leverage is allowed to be offered for those products? Is there as there are they specifics that then investors need to look out for.
Speaker 3: I'm not aware of any particular guidelines or boundaries around it. I mean, I think most leathered ETFs tend to be in the two to three times range. I think any any more than that, you know, it starts to get a little bit a little bit scary on the downside. You know, if you had a five times levit ETF and the markets down fifty, that's basically zero.
Speaker 1: Look if we look into those a little more deeply, what what are the mechanics of them that you can explain?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So essentially, what leverage tfs are doing is using financial instruments called options, futures and options. So these are ways to gain exposure to markets by putting down a very small amount to get a very larger exposure. So you know, if you think about the mortgage world, you know, you put a ten percent deposit down on the house, so you borrow a ten percent and then you've got one hundred percent exposure to the property. Right, it's the same in the future's options world. You know, essentially you're putting ten percent down beginning one hundred percent exposure. So if the market goes up, you know your your return is amplified quite sharply at the same to the same point, if the market goes down, your return is umplified as well.
Speaker 1: If we're talking about who's using them, I mean I saw some research out of the UK that said that anyone over fifty five, you ask three of them about atfs, only one of them is going to have heard of those. You ask anyone under thirty four, and probably like ninety percent or more will be able to tell you what an ETF is. Is that a consistent picture that you find and your practice and around the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. Yeah, Yeah, I think that's pretty consistent globally, And honestly, I think it's driven by one really key thing in particular, and that is the demographics around those different age groups. So you know, it's quite likely for anyone over fifty five that they've been pretty lucky to be a property owner in a period where property has done extremely well for people under thirty five. It's very hard to get on the property ladder in in most property markets globally because prices has gone up so much. Lending has got harder, or borrowing's got harder, I should say. And so you know, there is a whole cohort of people now coming through in that age group, under a thirty five age group, who are really looking for other ways to grow their wealth, and ETFs play a big role in that.
Speaker 1: The research that I sort of suggested that the kinds of people I mean literally see that it's like a young guy's game, overwhelming the demographic in the UK, younger males eighteen to thirty four are kind of strongly using it. They're using it a lot, They're making some quite trades. But some other research I saw out a morning Star suggested that a lot of the times people investing in ETFs are kind of buying late and missing the market. They're trading them quite quite quickly. I mean, is there a lesson there just about general investment hygiene? I suppose no matter what financial product you're using.
Speaker 3: Were certainly we know that people that there are there are investors that are using eats more as trading tools than investing tools. The key difference being a trading tool is basically you just buy and hold it for a very short period of time. An investing tool you buy and hold for a long period of time. Key difference. So we do see a bit of that encouragingly, certainly in New Zealand. You know, if we look back to for example, COVID and some of the other more volatile market periods, we've actually seen investors holding through those periods and if anything, actually continuing to buy through those periods. So we're starting to see more of a buy the dirt mentality here, which I think is fantastic. That's the right way to think about it. You know, you invest in share you're invest in or you buy most things when they're on sale. You know, why not by shares when they're on sale as well. So yeah, I think it's slightly different here. Definitely at the margin you see more trading. But again the more you trade, the more it costs you, and the more likelihood there is of making a mistake.
Speaker 1: Just looking more broadly and more globally, I suppose have we seen any evidence or have you come across any suggestion that ETFs are kind of inherently adding to the amount of liquidity or volatility in the market.
Speaker 3: They certainly added liquidity. Yeah. You know, if you think about, you know, wanting to exit a particular investment, if you have a single stock, you know, it might be quite difficult. Part could if it's sort of a smaller company or that type of thing, Whereas in ETFs, you know, because they're broadly diversified. There were sort of get a little technical here, but there are kind of three levels of liquidity with ETFs. So you know, essentially, if you think about going into a grocery a dairy grocery store, you know, and there's a fridge of coke on the floor, that's that's your sort of on market liquidity. And then you know the dairy's probably got a palette of coke sort around the back somewhere in the warehouse, so that's your market maker inventory. So you know, market makers in ETF always holding inventory to meet demand. And then you know, if you really need to go big and do a very large trade, you've got the individual stocks underlying the UTF, which is the factory essentially, so you know, you've got these multiple layers of liquidity and ETFs which just don't exist in individual shares for example.
Speaker 1: That's a great analogy. It's a great way to think about it and how people can understand that you can sort of trade in and trade out. I guess with that, I wonder because you're talking about an exchange traded fund rather than a mutual fund, which is almost kind of what it would have replaced. To some extent, those funds would have been like, you know, call the broker, arranged things, get them in, get them out. It's like a process that happens maybe once a day, once a week or whatever. It's not something you can sort of flick in and out of quite rapidly. Has that changed the game? Has that changed the global markets and how they move a little bit?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, But you know, I think I think it's important to note that for the most part, you know, if you're if you if you want to sell your et F units, you're essentially selling the units to another investor. So you're selling your bottle of coke oud of the fridge on the dairy floor, to use my previous analogy, You're not you're not selling the underlying share, so there's no impact on the underlying market at all. In most cases, when ets trade, you're just selling units from one investor to another, not the underlying shares themselves, So you know, that's important to note. But I do think where where ETS would change the game in liquidity terms is yeah, it just enables investors to switch very quickly from one approach to another. So for example, if you want to switch from equities into fixed income, in the ETF world, you sell your equity ETF and buy your fixed income UTF. Your economic exposure changes instantly, and then you just settle the trade two days later. In the unlisted managed fund world, you know, you put in your cell request, it gets processed the next day. You might get the money a dayly day after that, so you're talking, you know, three days later, and then you've got to apply for the new fund and then get that invested. So it can be you can be up to a week out of the market, and you know, as as we know, markets move pretty quickly these days. If it takes a week to get out of equities and into bonds, if that's what you want to do, things can change a hell of a lot in that period of time.
Speaker 1: Have et IF's because you can get in and out of them more quickly, enabled a more kind of rapid fire decision making. Does that change your approach to investing in a way.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure that it does. I think I think, you know, if you've made a decision to switch out of one thing and into another, you know, if you're in the unlisted world, you can't. You don't get a cooling off period as such. It just takes longer. So you put your cell order in, it still gets process. You don't get the opportunity to then go back and say, oh, I've changed my mind. Maybe only a couple of hours where you might be able to do that. So I think it's just enabled, you know, where people do want to be more tactical about their investing. It's just enabled that to happen in a lot more seamless way than used to be the case pre ETFs.
Speaker 1: I guess we've also seen it open up a whole different range of markets as well as themes, like we've talked about AI, but also I'm thinking about emerging markets places like you know, you know, South Korea or China where maybe it's not as easy to get broker access and so on. You don't have the the the equities listed on the NAREST deck, necessarily we can get at them. So these ETFs are providing a reach into those markets too, are they? How many people are reaching in there.
Speaker 3: We've seen quite a significant uptick in investing into our Asia Pacific and Emerging markets CTFs recently, and I think that it speaks to exactly that process, you know, with the ets enabled people to get into those markets without having to think about researching a whole bunch of individual companies and decide which ones to invest in. You know, you can buy the whole region with an ETF and get the exposure that way. And so yeah, we've definitely seen Asia Pacific, Emerging Markets, Japan, Europe, they've all become much more popular recently. And I think part of that, honestly is the you know, the acknowledgment that the US equity market's quite concentrated now in very small range of companies they're so called Magnificent seven, and people are looking for, you know, where else could we invest outside of that very narrow range of businesses, And there's plenty of opportunities out there in the UTF world to diversify that exposure a bit more.
Speaker 1: The funds have just really accelerated massively in ETF since twenty twenty. Are you we thinking that that pattern is likely to be repeated in the back half of this decade. Is there way more money to flow into them? Or is that just too hard to pick?
Speaker 3: I don't see any is why wouldn't continue honestly, I mean, you know, certainly, as far as we're concerned in New Zealand, we've seen growth pick up very sharply in the last couple of years. In particular, so coming out of COVID, you know, we saw strong growth, but the last couple of years we've been growing at sort of over forty percent a year in terms of funds under management, and we see that continuing because you know, we've been relatively slow adopters in the ETF world here, but thanks to businesses like Charese's, you know, we're now catching up very quickly, and in fact, we're growing a little bit faster here than we are than ETFs are globally now. But yeah, I mean, I still think we're we've got a long way to go on that journey with ETFs, and you know, I think it's important to note that when we talk about ETFs, and ETF is a structure. It's an investment wrapper around an investment strategy. You know, ETFs. Not all ETFs are index tracking and not all index trackers are ETFs. It's important to note that. So a big part of the growth in ets in the last couple of years has been active fund managers launching utfs. So you know, you just are not just for index tracking. You know, you can use them for any type of asset pretty much.
Speaker 1: That's just their way of I guess trying to get back some of that drift to pessive maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but also acknowledging that you know, there are some benefits to ETFs, which we've discussed previously, things like liquidity and transparency that you just don't get in the unlisted manage from the world.
Speaker 1: Tom Bentley, I feel like we've covered an awful lot of ground here in just a short amount of time. We have, thanks very much. I really hope that people watching there are feeling a little bit more comfortable about understanding what goes into an ETU and knowing what they need to take a closer look at to better understand whatever it is that they are right coom to you. That's us for this week.