Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from news Talks ed B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. Inside the Game from Every angle. It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith, powered by news Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by Habit Health tankling all your aches and pains from sport and work back for another week of Rugby Direct. And we welcome back from the Kingdom, Liam Napier, It's a Rugby Direct.
Speaker 3: Greetings readings, Elliot, great to be here, Great to be back.
Speaker 2: Getting sponsorship while you're over there, aram Co coming on board. Will we you know, live live Rugby directsclorring to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fair to say the feelers are out a lot of interest rugby and Saudi is on the rise, and the oil tycoons are circling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rugby Directs are not immune to that. We're more than happy to sell our souls.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Let's refer to the weekend that was in Rugby Super Rugby specifically and another intriguing weekend Liam. I guess, just an overall perspective, we've had fifteen games down this comp and there's been no real blowouts, no terrible games, so far, which is a remarkable run really given where we're at have been at in this competition. Just the standard and the closeness of the games has been very very good.
Speaker 3: Once again it has, and that's what this competition needs. I think the only game at the weekend that was more than five odd points was the Chief Sprumbies. And it is early doors. You don't want to make too many sweeping generalizations, but it does seem like the Australian teams are more competitive, which is what we'd everyone had hopes with the demise of the Rebels, and I guess a real evening out of the New Zealand teams as well with the Highland has been more competitive, the Blues coming back to the pack, the Chiefs raising their standards and the Hurricanes sort of struggling a wee bit.
Speaker 4: So that's what super Bragby needs.
Speaker 3: We need to see type competitive games, upsets. The only I guess negative I would say was, you know, it's a great spectacle. This defense is a weebird option all at times, or maybe not of a certainly test standard, but it's been a great watch and the finishers in games. These games are being decided in the last couple of minutes, which is great for spectators.
Speaker 4: I do wonder if the.
Speaker 2: Scores might settle down a little bit as it gets a bit colder into March and April. I think fatigue and heat taking a role in the opening two or three weeks hot it as an Australian parts in New Zealand a for you daytime or late kickoffs sort late afternoon kickoffs that are maybe contributing to that. It's kind of interesting to see if that settles down. Let's go first to Saturday night and it was the Blues thirty three over the Hurricanes twenty nine.
Speaker 4: A game that was in.
Speaker 2: The balance for a lot of it, but you know, the stars rise to the big occasion. Mark Talia did just that right at the very end or ten minutes to go and put his side back in front. But again, this was a game that we could have seen the Blues go oh in three. They were just as smidge better on the night. What did you make of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I wouldn't be getting too carried away if I was the Blues. When you look at that Hurricanes team, they're still missing a lot of their front line stars as a team without Jordy Barrett Ardie Severez left this year and they have no Tarro lomax I suffer Armor, Billy Proctor, There's a couple of others there and they have had some performance stand up for them. Harry Godfrey has really claimed that tenders Ruben loves another one that won't come back till after the bye. But as you mentioned, stars rise and I think it was Boden Barrett that really sparked them at the back end of that match, that the counter attack, and he had two influential moments with helping get Hoskins a tutu over the line and then Mark Tala skinning Riley haul Heepper. Thanks for gifting him to the Hurricanes, by the.
Speaker 4: Way, you're welcome. Yeah, yeah, you can have them back Crusade, look at James. We don't.
Speaker 3: But look, yeah, the Hurricanes will feel like they blew that they were up. Was it twenty twenty nine to twenty one with ten minutes to go, and you know, did a lot of good things after being on the back foot with two yellow cards early. So look, there's a lot of positives to clutch up for the Hurricanes, but they're in a bit of an early season whole they are.
Speaker 2: I don't think the Blues were great, but they were good enough on the night. They had a few things go their way. There also things that go against I mean, Hoskins are two too recarded late in the match, will probably serve two to three weeks for that. They had the Hia scenario late as well, where there was a bit of confusion about whether Sam Knock was actually concussed or not. They managed to sort of navigate their way around it, but I don't think it was vintage Blues. They talked a bit about last week about going back to being boring, rolling up the sleeves, doing the Ford work. I don't think we necessarily saw that on the weekend, and it almost felt like they were reverting back to the Blues of old, where their instinct was just flinger it out wide and hope something happened. So we saw last year the success that they've had up the middle of the park and their forwards doing a lot of those work that work. I don't know that we're still seeing that, and of course game plans have to evolve. But when the Blues talked about going back to the basics, probably didn't see that on Saturday night.
Speaker 4: No, and that's their challenge this year, isn't it.
Speaker 3: They can't do exactly what they did last year because teams expect that they're going to counter that. And I think we did see them actually go away from that blueprint and it worked for them with the lakes of Barrett and Taliah. You know what a try that was a match winning try in the ends. We did see examples where they went up the middle Patrick two polos, who's big charge, Ricky Rickettelli's try. They really punched and went direct, which was their game plan last year. But it does feel like the I don't know, corp between two worlds, not jelling, not quite finding their feats.
Speaker 4: So it is interesting times for the Blues, it is.
Speaker 2: I think they're getting enough out of midfield either. I thought aj lamp had a very good end to last year's Super Rugby season when he came into second five. Ricca Juati is a test center. But I just don't know that they're getting enough out of midfield so far in the season with the players that they've selected. Wonder whether maybe moving Barrett back to ten and Plumber into second five could alleviate some of those issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would still give them two genuine playmakers.
Speaker 4: A J. Lambs very versatile.
Speaker 3: You know, he could be on the bench and come on and fulfill a number of different roles.
Speaker 4: I agree with.
Speaker 3: That, but yeah, it is interesting because the Blues, we sort of externally expect them just to roll through and continue on.
Speaker 4: Everyone was chasing them.
Speaker 3: They did it, you know, reasonably easily last year when you look at what happened in the final. They spoke all through the preseason and at the start of the year about starting again. That last year accounted for nothing that they couldn't be complacent and they've got every reason not to be now. But maybe stylistically they've just been a bit court and figured out maybe teams are working out how to unpick them, and that's going to be a real challenge for their coaching stuff.
Speaker 4: Because it was fairly unconvincing.
Speaker 2: It was let's move backwards to the Chiefs and Brumbies on Saturday afternoon forty nine to thirty four the Chiefs when what was an up and down topsy turvy whatever you want to put in front of it contest against the Brumbies. For me, it was fifteen all at one point, but it just felt like the Brumbies were the ones chasing the game. The Chiefs always just sort of had their noses in front. I felt they similar to the Crusaders a week prior. Scored two quick tries after halftime and that put them on the front foot and the second spell use the Brumbies responded, but just felt like they were always sort of chasing the game. And again they win by fifteen points and beat the Brumbies. The Chiefs are clearly the best team in the co petition to this point attack wise. You know Damion McKenzie a worry there that he went off with a bit of a bang late in the game. Haven't heard anything further about that, Josh Lord going off, but they have threats all across the park and they have set up very, very nicely through three weeks in the competition.
Speaker 3: They are indeed and this is probably what I expected from the Chiefs last year.
Speaker 4: And they were really inconsistent. But you look at their roster.
Speaker 3: It's stacked, isn't it with threats as you mentioned, and they've clearly come into this year with a chip on their shoulder.
Speaker 4: It's Clayton McMillan's last year at the Helm.
Speaker 3: Whether they knew that at the start of the year, not too sure, but that adds another dynamic. And yeah, I think this game in particular is another brilliant advertisement for afternoon rugby. Both teams really had a crack. I thought the Brumbies played really well. I like the balance they've got to their game. You know, they're rolling war was really effective, but they can play as well. They tested the Chiefs, but you're right that you never really like they were going to come over the top of the Chiefs just with those threats. A real standout performance from quint to Paire. He's been a big mover going back into the midfield after you know, some stints on the wing in a tough couple of years with injury. McKenzie's playing well, Josh Jacob really staking a claim at ten. I like that dynamic of their combination. And then they've got the pack there as well with the Chiefs. So the other team to beat, aren't they Their record speaks for itself. But they can hot you all over the park, they can go through the middle, they can go wide, they can chip them behind you. They've got balanced variation, very dynamic. So great start to the year for the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and it's not I can see them losing a game, but it's hard to see. You know, they sit alone for me at the top of the table, and there's a whole lot of teams that are in mixed form at the moment and could slide anywhere from second to nights or tenth on the ladder. At this point in time, it feels like it's a real log jam, but everyone's chasing Chiefs and it's an interesting position for them to begin. We talked a bit about I guess that the Blues and their threats through the middle of the park not working. But you touched on Quintepie there. What a start to the seasons he's having. I know last year it kind of felt like his career could have gone two ways, and it's going the way that I think is great for him is that, you know, after that injury in twenty twenty two when he was basically had his leg you know, ripped apart by Varci Swain, to finally get back, you know, maybe it's taken a couple of years to get over that injury. The confidence back, well, he was playing with confidence at the moment and leading this Chiefs team. I say leading, but he's leading them midfield very very well.
Speaker 3: I thought he was underutilized by the Chiefs last year when he did play, it was off the bench or on the wing, and just he's a real weapon. He's always been a physical presence. He was selected in the All Blacks what was it two years ago? Now twenty two? What three? And it was for that physicality that he brought to the position ball carrying wise, defensively, but you look at the subtlety and the silky skills he brought to that performance. At the weekend he made a bust and sent that long ball wide to Matta Ali. He's falling and to have the precision to pull that off and then the chip and chase him behind and to regathero. That's a real breadth of skill to complement that physicality, and that's what you want from that position.
Speaker 4: And it's an interesting dynamic, isn't it. The twelve position.
Speaker 3: Jordie's not here at the moment, so while he will come back, it certainly shines a spotlight on that position and been a lot of attention on Ta Tavanawa with the Highlanders moving into twelve. David Heavili, the Captaincy looks really comfortable with him at the Crusaders, so interesting to see how that evolves throughout there.
Speaker 2: Certainly is Friday night the Highlanders beating mo Waa Pacific at thirty one to twenty nine in Albany.
Speaker 4: Weird old game. This one hard to judge.
Speaker 2: Look, I think Miwan are a very very good team for sixty minutes in the game. It's the last twenty or the twenty minutes when they switch off or aren't at the races that is a real concern. And on Friday night it was minutes zero to ten and minutes thirty to forty where they weren't there the rest of it. They gave the Honders as good as they got. But when you're ten or ten minutes out from half time and you go into halftime thirty one ten down, something's gone wrong. And that last ten minutes before the break they've switched off and the Highlanders took advantage. And you know, despite the fact they scored nineteen points on ans and the second spell, it still wasn't enough. So for me, the Highlanders deserve that win. But Mowana different story on the night could have been then winning and winning well, they've just got to find a way to play for the full eighty minutes. It's a cliche, but you look at their three performances so far. They've conceded fifty six against the Reds in a game that they were in for a wee bit and the first game against the Force they were neck and neique for a period of time. But just these moments of switching off or whether it's a depth, I don't know, but that's costing them at the moment.
Speaker 4: It is just a bit before we get to your point there.
Speaker 3: And the rugby love the jerseys, the throwback, the best jerseys on display all weekend, brilliant. I think mine had their biggest crowd home crowd in Albany, so you know, great occasion and there's a real sense that they're starting to establish their presence in this competition and actually getting a bit of a foothold after a lot of uncertainty around the future and their presence. But they need some wins, don't they. And you're rights they are improving. They are in the contest, in the fights. There's genuine spirit there that you can see Ardie severe. What a performance, but they should be two and one they blew it against the force. And but for those periods that you talk about when they conceded three tries, some of them unlucky, but you make your own luck. They've got to find a way to finish the job. And yeah, whether it's a mental concentration or maybe a depth, I'm not too sure. They did come back well in the second half. Artie tried to take them on their his back and do everything he can, but he's not going to be able.
Speaker 4: To do that every week.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you feel four ton umonga because they're on the cuspsp aren't they But they can't get over the line. And if they don't do that soon, then that the self doubt starts to creep in, and you know the O sitting next to you. Your team builds pressure, builds frustration. So they need to find a way, some way to get over the line soon.
Speaker 2: Maea's goalkicking as well, wasn't flash on the night. I think William Hart really missed three of his conversion attempts, two of which you would say were fairly gettable from the positions that he kicked them from. You know, they make a couple of those and they potentially win the game really liked Artie Savey, who's great on the weekend for them, talismanic performance that he's delivering. The Samisi Tupu tailor as well, who was listed at open side and then they changed things around. He is a really promising prospect.
Speaker 4: It was bizarre.
Speaker 2: He was very good for Southland last year, no one wanted him in Super Rugby. Mawana called him up for their wider training group and he's now been a part of the the opening three games of the competition. So I really like what that combination is doing. In the loose Ford trip.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what about the Highlanders?
Speaker 3: Is it? James Ascott the replacement halfback who came in late for Flower. I was really impressed by him and earlier in the year a similar sort of sniping performance. I did sort of chuck all about, you know, some references post game to the Highlanders and twenty fifteen and it being their year and Jamie's clearly pumping the brakes. Look, it is good to see the Highlanders be more competitive than they have been in recent years. And success, however, it comes, builds comp fullness, doesn't it. And this is a young team we've spoken a lot about, you know them bringing through prospects and having faith in youth and sticking with that, and maybe we're starting to see the fruits of some of that that made some good off season recruits. Cut of Tonguey Tawl on the wing has you know, really taken his chance. And that's what Jamie Joseph historically has been about, isn't it recruiting well, giving guys opportunities and them being grateful to take those. So good to see the Honders really, you know, holding their own and making a case that they're going to be playoff contenders this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the depth will be the issue again for the Honders when they suffer a few injuries. And on Friday night, you know, cam Miller, who's an up and coming ten knocked out. Don't know, haven't heard the latest on him. Hopefully he's obviously all right, And and Hurley ruled out with a quad injury for Lafacatava out for a few weeks. So they start adding up, you know, it can be tricky. They've got the buy this week, so chance to get a few players sort of freshened up a little bit, hopefully for them. A couple of other games of the course of the weekend involving Australian teams. WARTA has been the drawer twenty nine to twenty four. The Reds pipping the Force at the post in Perth on Saturday night twenty eight twenty four. Interesting to see Leon McDonald in the Western Force coaching box. Obviously you announced still had the scoop on that one, but still seeing him in the air the Force polo was an interesting prospect on the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe Twiggy's cash goes along the forthing.
Speaker 2: The Force not a bad team and that the Reds, you know, coming over the top of the weekend. Feels like, as we touched on at the start, those Australian teams have lifted up a notch this year with that talent being spread, you know, a little bit tighter across those four teams.
Speaker 3: Just on McDonald, what chance did they give the Australian Rugby Union of luring him to join the Wallabies in some capacity.
Speaker 2: And some capacity wouldn't surprise me, I said. The hot news now is that check is likely to go the Wales team by the sound of it, So second stance of the Wallabies might not be for him. Maybe mcalla McDonald combination, another mix somewhere. I'm sure we can find.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or his McDonald's relationship Will Schmidt if he's staying on, and some advisory capacity you. My understanding is McDonald just wants to go for one year to Perth and then come back. But yeah, you never know how things transpire and where the chips might fall.
Speaker 2: Rugby coaching is a funny old game. We'll take a break here on Rugby Direct. Come back with our final four if you tipping in the MVP voting as well.
Speaker 1: This is Rugby Direct, a podcast for real rugby fares.
Speaker 4: Every try try tends sixty sec. Every tackle tackle get up again afore it's Rugby Directed.
Speaker 2: You're back with Rugby Direct powered by Habit Health. Time now for our final four, four rugby topics, Liam and I debate them both. News last week from our colleague Gregor Paul and The New Zealand Herald that Dezone the British broadcaster in talks and inverted commas with NZR over the rights deal to potentially take that deal. Now no bid has been submitted as yet, but with Sky signing Cricket recently, which is still end of twenty twenty six away. I think they've just resigned Australian cricket this morning as we record this as well, rugby's on the table and it's interesting to see de Zone come into the mix around it. I guess you'll take on this news and potentially what it would mean for the New Zealand rugby market and media market.
Speaker 3: It's not surprised generally that a streaming player has come into the market. It's only been a matter of time, isn't it when you look at broadcast rights around the world EPL or others, with Amazon and Netflix now delving into that scene with boxing. Dezone seriously cashed up now owned by Saudi backers. They bought was it Fox Foxtel year in Australia, so I got a real foothold in the Australia market and no doubt looking to further expand. So they're a genuine player with serious money and money does talk. I think from what I understand their bids will could be linked with TVNZ so maybe some freedom were component which would be attractive to rugby to be have more exposure, to not be behind a paywall. Although lots of people have Sky on New Zealand. I would still be very surprised if Sky's not that don't come out on top. I've got a long standing relationship. He's going to know what they're going to get, and there would be a concern I think going with a streaming platform about accessibility in New Zealand's rugby is a trueotionally probably older population and how does that play in rural areas with connectivity. All those sorts of things are factors. But look, I would probably liken it to rugby players coming out and saying all league players and going I'm going to switch codes. Competition and any bidding process is healthy, and New Zealand Rugby is doing the right thing by engaging others and trying to bump up Sky's price to get more more heat in that market.
Speaker 4: How do you see it do? How's it going to shake down?
Speaker 2: Well, I think Sky will retain the rights, but I think you're very much right that the offer that they've submitted clearly isn't to New Zealand Rugby's liking, And so they go and have a chat with Design on the side and see whether it can be bummed up or drive up Sky's priced a little bit. I think Design have designs. I spoke with the VP of Marketing on Weekend Sport a couple of weeks ago, and they have designs on the New Zealand market and having role here. Now you know you mentioned they have bought Foxtowel. There's nothing stopping them coming in and buying Sky. Now the Foxtel deal hasn't officially gone through, has going through you know, all the regulatory sort of stuff in Australia, but once that lands, they could look over to the TASM and go, we'll snap up Sky potentially as well. And that has been speculated in the media columns as well that that could be a prospect. So it's an interesting time for sport and right steals and everything like that. But I still would say that Sky would be the most likely, remembering as well in New Zealand. Rugby have a steak in Sky as well, so that would need to be untangled be a major thing. But something else that would probably needs to be untangled if the rights were to go elsewhere. Topic number two, the Dreadful Men's seven side. I wrote about this in my column last week, but they have not made a final so far in the World Series four tournaments in the season at top of the table Argentina and Spain, which says a bit about the way that sevens has gone, But I guess from a wider perspective they missed out medals at Paris. Just this team at the moment feels like they're holding on to the players of ys to Ye. Dylan Collier has been a great suit for New Zealand rugby, still in the mix. Andrew new stubs similar. The big flashing light for me is that there aren't enough players to basically play sevens in New Zealand. Once the super rugby teams have their pack thirty eight players times five added a few more formwana that would probably be of interest in New Zealand seven team, you're looking upwards of two hundred plus players. Unless you really want to play sevens, you're going to go into that fifteen system. I think that's where we're at with the program at the moment. These super rugby sides have expanded, leaving little for sevens on the table and it's hard to see how you claw that back other than some seven specialists coming through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does feel like a bit of an afterthought, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: And the sevens.
Speaker 3: That sevens team's actually been used as a development pathway, which has played that role historically as well. But I think there was four players traverse over from that sevens team into the NBC and progress, the Super Rugby's Lee Ry Carter, the Hurricanes wing and a couple of others as well. So and that's your your next tier talent, right, So they're there, one mine gone, the.
Speaker 4: Next the NRL. Yeah, so the players that have departed.
Speaker 3: And then at the other end of the spectrum, you've had some generational players and that sevens team move on Scott Curry and the like who were real storarts of that team.
Speaker 4: So that team's clearly struggling to rebuild.
Speaker 3: But you're right that the talent pool, the lure of sevens isn't there outside of an Olympics year. It does feel like a bit of an afterthought and not a priority for aspiring young men really.
Speaker 2: No whereas on the women's side of things, they are absolute blockbusters and are an aspiring product aspirational team. You know, George Miller twenty years old or just turned twenty one one New Zealand Rug's raining Player of the Year, My Davis Daboos and Vancouver and has a very good tournament. But yeah, that mean sevens program, I think, isn't it in a world of hurt at the program at the moment. I just don't know how exactly you fixed it. Sevens World Cup. Don't think there is one anymore, certainly one, not one on the horizon, not at the Commonwealth Games anymore. Sevens So you're basically Olympics to Olympics. So at that point you sort of go, maybe you just pick try and get the best possible players for the Olympics and don't worry about the World Series. I know there's all sorts of concerns about the World Series as well, which you've written about. So interesting old time for sevens, isn't it? Topic number three? Does Boden Barrett need to move back to ten for the Blues?
Speaker 3: We touched on it there with Harry Plummer potentially going to twelve. I think it's a live option, isn't it. Boden was very influential at the back end of that Blues victory in Wellington when he shifted back to ten. Some of those some of that counter attick he sparked didn't necessarily come from first receiver, but look, it's his preferred position. I think if you asked him, that's where he'd want to play. I think he's also happy to fulfill the role and play fifteen and the modern player Ruben Love, Damien McKenzie, Thomas Ramos can all play switch seamlessly between ten and fifteen. But I think the Blues at some point we'll try that. Whether it's this week, not too sure. The Brumbies are a team that you probably traditionally kick more against trumpin them down there are their end of the field. Do you think Vern pulls out leave of this week.
Speaker 4: I think he might.
Speaker 2: I think injuries as well, you know obviously, and haven't had Stephen Peterfetter as yet the seasons on. Sullivan's on the sidelines, So that's taken out a couple of ten or fifteen options. But I probably would have looked at maybe a Cole Forbes at fifteen, Plumber at twelve, Barrowed at ten sort of option. Kudas said last week that they were wanted to do the first three rounds as is, barring injury, and then reassess after that. So time is now for reassessment, which will be interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like Cole Forbes.
Speaker 3: He brings a dynamic presence to the backfields, much more of a running option than a tactical kicker, so could bring some more attacking spark.
Speaker 4: Indeed, so topic number four.
Speaker 2: This was news a few days ago now, Clayton McMillan departing the Chiefs for Monster after the season, released a year early from his New Zealand rugby contract, signed through until twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 4: Good move for Clayton. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: I sort of always knew that Clayton Wood wouldn't stay on with the Chiefs beyond that contract, but I think it is a surprise it's coming year earlier. I guess the timing of a role like Munster was too good to turn down. And you know he's served his time and you reach a ceiling in New Zealand in Super rugby, and through no fault of the ecosystem here, he's not can't progress in any You want to be challenged, you want to evolve and grow and look going to a team like Munster will be a brilliant experience. Ireland loved their rugby. There'll be big expectation and demands on him. He's not a big name and wild rugby. But he is a proven coach here and with a great reputation for man management building a culture, but starting again in a place like Munster with a rich rugby heritage will be a great challenge. And when he returns, because he will return to news own in some capacity, he will be a better coach for that experience. And he's really setting himself up for a play at the Orblix.
Speaker 4: He coaching roll down the track.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure that's the job that he that he coverts and is keen on down the track and is obviously not gonna happen in this cycle, so needs to look elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Going to Monster.
Speaker 2: I think Connor Murray is leaving after the season, retired internationally and Peter Omari retiring as well, so it's a wee bit of a rebuild. So it's an interesting spot for Munster and Inclad to begin picking up that gig. I think it is a good move. You're right, you reached the ceiling in New Zealand rugby very very quickly. He's done the Mauldy All Blacks. He's ticked that box. I think he's involved with the All Blacks fifteen as well, so obviously last year, so he's coord of sort of done everything he can bar coach. The All Blacks will be part of that environment, so looking abroad is a smart move. Who takes over it?
Speaker 4: You know? And he whispers about Warren Gatlin returning to the Chiefs that surely not. No, he's no longer a beloved son, is he?
Speaker 3: I think ross Filippo probably would have been in the mix, but he was moved on this year's no longer in the ranks.
Speaker 4: Although was that.
Speaker 2: Time, I mean he's Muldy All Blacks coach, Wakato NPC coach. Was that his decision, Clayton's decision.
Speaker 3: I think from what I understand it was they wanted to change, which was surprising because ross Filippo was talked about it being about being an option for the Crusaders and it was by all accounts well liked among that playing group and brought a lot to the forward pack. So yeah, he's actually gone off with Adam Thompson and he's doing some coaching clinics, so interesting to see where he does pop up next. The one name I have heard is being groomed as John o' gibbs, vastly experienced time in France. I think he was involved with the age grade teams in New Zealand recently, so yeah, he's one name I have heard mentioned. I don't know how far down the track the Chiefs are with their succession planning.
Speaker 2: I think I heard from something Grauffis last week, the CEO who suggested that they've got good options internally, and Johnny Gibbs will clearly be one of those as an assistant coach currently of that team. Good pedigree, I mean, doesn't sound like they're going to look outside, so that might be the just you know, the natural progression there. I mean, you look at Joe Schmidt potentially based in Topel, you know, potentially whether that would be any interest to him. Unlikely. Neil Barnes has been the Chiefs coaching set up before. Maybe another name, but probably sometimes the answer is the most obvious option, which would be Johnny Gibbs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just quickly, another big, big move and the coaching scene and world rugby. I would argue, probably the biggest news and rugby in the past week. And you know, we tend to live in a wee bit of a bubble in New Zealand. But Felix Jones who was the spring box defense coach twenty three World Cup went to England, had a profound impact. I would argue is one of the best defense coaches in world rugby currently. Has gone back to the box. Hell of a pickup for them and only strengthens the best team in world rugby currently. I saw some clips of him, incredibly intense guy. That was from the Chasing the Sun doco. Just the level of detail he's been up all night, scaring YouTube, barking orders in the changing room in the final of the twenty twenty three World Cup about the breakdown his rush defense with England causes all Blacks so many problems in July when Scott Robinson first took over, and I think England's have had to not start again. But he's been a big loss for them in the sixth Nations. So man, that box team just gets better and better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is he?
Speaker 2: The thing is the seventh assistant coach or something like that. And these staffs, these as are out of control. But great pack up and yeah, the whole England thing ended quite weirdly. But you're very very good coach and good pick up for as you said, already the best team in the world to get a player like that, a coach like that. Let's get into tipping now.
Speaker 4: Liam.
Speaker 2: Of course you went here last week, but Nick did right for you in the hot seat. He got four or five missed out on. He picked the Hurricanes, which is probably what you would have done as well. Otherwise you picked the Honders, war Tars, Chiefs and Reds. I picked the Blues. Missed out on the Force. I thought the boys from Western Australia are going to get it done. So four or five for both of us, nine to fifteen through the opening three rounds. Let's go through this week Blues, Brumbies.
Speaker 4: Friday Night the Blues, but could should be tight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look on basis of what we're seeing from the Blues so far and the Brumbies, it should be tight. I think the Blues as well. The drawer welcoming the Chiefs to I think it's lat toalk. It's definitely in Fiji on four to thirty five Saturday afternoon. Now, maybe the Chiefs rest a couple of players from the trip here. McKenzie had a bang, a couple of bangs last week. Yeah, it's conning interesting what team the Chiefs roll.
Speaker 3: Out Yeah, look, they've got great depth, so I'll stick with the Chiefs. But yeah, a few dings there ends the Dura much tougher at home, aren't they?
Speaker 2: They are, and that's why I'm going to tip them this week to end the Chiefs unbeaten run well one of Pacific are hosting the Hurricanes, already playing his old team. Very interesting games Saturday night, but a feeling I'm sure around this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a bit of jip, it's for sure, a few, a few facials in the rack and all those the antics that you probably can't get away with anymore with all the cameras. But look, the Cane is desperate for a win, so they'll bank that one.
Speaker 2: I think they will too. But as a semiwana, very very good for sixty minutes. If they can string together, they're close to seventy. Who knows, might be a different story, but I'm going to go the Hurricanes as well. War Tars Force, I think so I'll leat you still out for another week or two at least with this injury Wartors hosting the Force. What do you reckon?
Speaker 4: It's been very unconvinced by the Tars. You were pumping up their ties. It was big time.
Speaker 3: Now on the Force and their roster, they should be playing a lot better.
Speaker 4: Look, I'll tip the Tars, but yeah, would not be surprised.
Speaker 2: But upseet, I think Leon another week under Leon the Force. They'll let the win and Leon your trust. That's right, And the Crusaders and Reds wrap up the round at three point thirty five Sunday afternoon, Sunda afternoon.
Speaker 4: Footy, how good? Come on my Reds reads? Please right, we'll makey down for that? Is that right? In next to the Reds.
Speaker 3: Look, I'll punt the Crusaders, but I'll be cheering wholeheartedly for the Reds.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to transfer you to the Crusaders poems all right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure a Crusader three thirty five Saturday, Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 4: Perfect timing, MVP Middle raining in the gardens anyway, It.
Speaker 2: Never rains in the garden, so they and it won't matter from next year because the one New Zealand Stadium is going to be New Zealand's premiere sporting venal Edits like an absolute picture. I can't wait too to go down and visit rugby. Director Middle. This is the standings as it stands after just two rounds. Tabata Way on eight points, Damie mckinzey on five, Will Jordan and Kyle Preston on three? Will any of those players add to their numbers this week? Liam yours please?
Speaker 4: Well we spoke about Ardi three points starty.
Speaker 3: Pretty hard to go past herculean performance, wasn't it? So three to Ardi, two to Quincy Payre standouts for the Chiefs, and I'm going to give one to how God godfree, being really impressed by his work at ten for the Canes this year.
Speaker 2: I actually are threes and twos are the same this week Ardie save three for me, excellent on the weekend quinte pie two for me and Boden Barrett gets my one slotted at half back right at the end as well. Did a job there for the Blues and so the Yeah, there we go. Damien McKinzie missus out this week.
Speaker 4: Next time Boden's half Maybe you think you should give me a call some tips?
Speaker 2: No, no, something I think you should do? Yeah, no, not in the slightest Liam. Great to have you back on the podcast. We'll be back again next week on Rugby Direct. Thanks to our friends that Habit Health Techning all your aches and pains from sport and worker. Thanks to Last and Bars English, and we'll be back next week.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks ed B. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio