Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at B. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcast now on iHeartRadio The Big League Podcast podcast News TALKSB.
Speaker 2: This week on The Big League Podcast, the Warriors find a way again, this time at sixteen twelve went over the Dolphins, extending their win streak to five.
Speaker 3: Michael Burgess joins me.
Speaker 2: To unpack another nervous watch late and an early look ahead at what promises to be a ripping game this Sunday against Canberra at Mount Smart And it's almost a state of origin time. The teams are in and at least one Warrior has made the grade, But should there have been more?
Speaker 3: My name is Nick new Ley. Let's go b LB.
Speaker 2: Who would have thought the Warriors would become masters of closing out the tight contest? For those hardy fans out there, I'm sure you'll remember, game after game this team historically would find a way to lose in a winning position.
Speaker 3: Heck, even look at last last year.
Speaker 2: Seven games they lost by six points or less and there was a drawer in there too for good measure. But take a look at this record for twenty twenty five. These are the wedding margins. Twenty eight two to fourteen, four, one and four. And look, yes, they are making it hard for themselves on occasion, including on Saturday against the Dolphins. But the character, the resilience, the second efforts that can't be folded, and what's more, on the face of it, at least it looks like the Warriors are still a wee way off their best, particularly with ball in hand and sterner tests. Oh wait, there's no question starting with this weekend on Sunday against Canberra, but this run five in a row, this record second on the ladder through eleven rounds, is worth celebrating. Michael Burgess, senior sports writer at the New Zealand Herald, what did you make a Saturday's performance and just the way the Warriors are getting it done of late?
Speaker 4: Niki summed it up perfectly. I mean, it's just been extraordinary, it really has. This run has been one of the more remarkable sequences I can remember, and I've been covering this team for a long time. I remember walking out of the Broncos game at Mount Smart five weeks ago when they got you know, they win in Golden Point, and thinking how privotal that was, looking at their draw coming up and thinking, gee, the Warriors could be if things go their way, could be seven to or eight too. But I didn't really think it would happen. And the fact they've I think the thing I didn't. I didn't see the victory coming on Saturday. I thought they'd be out of petrol. I really did. Because you can only go for so long winning these tight games. It takes so much physical, mental, emotional energy. But not just that, but the travel. The travel mate, you know, we forget. They've been to since the Broncos game. They've been to christ Jurch, come back to Auckland, been to Brisbane to play the Cowboys in a crazy game which which must have used up so much juice. They've come back to Auckland, gone to Wollongong, which is you know, flight to Sydney, bust to Wollongong in another crazy match, come back to Aukland, then they flight to Brisbane. You know, it's, as you said, tougher test to come. But what they've done this platform is absolutely massive.
Speaker 3: It certainly is.
Speaker 2: And as you say, now they're at the Lofty Heights, the second on the Nral Ladder. They're eight and two and it's that that scrambled defensive efforts, their resilience, which was shining again late against the Dolphins's. So we're going to get it into this game in a little bit more detail. But first up, let's take a listening to the highlights courtesy of Fox Sports. The Warriors beating the Dolphins sixteen points to twelve.
Speaker 5: The Warrior's Jed goes up. Now is there on the attack?
Speaker 6: How is to do that?
Speaker 7: Kicks out wine the polpe and also to a bass.
Speaker 5: Of check Pumpy attack that plasma is there, jitter Harris defeat. You actually go, but.
Speaker 7: I lost pop the last play, there's some wide speed here from the Dolphins. Metcalf gets the kick in any way, another chance for Pompy.
Speaker 5: Plisina is dead. He got it golf Harris to thes and the touch was backward, says the referee.
Speaker 8: The ball is knocked forward by Lecqua in the field of playing.
Speaker 5: We have a decision.
Speaker 6: We have justice.
Speaker 7: Zayah Cato look it back for wi feeder who was flowing his way into a contest.
Speaker 5: He nickel tips down. He kind of tats it. Nikol Lever is there.
Speaker 8: We're just looking at the right hand of Hamaso. He knocks the four forward into the arm of Chans Nickel Clockstad which is the first knockoff.
Speaker 7: But you have a decision still Adam deside and now he is near cup first man.
Speaker 5: Opson goes through the tackle there of Tom Gilbert's the Warriors their points to two of Vasa Sek and their car.
Speaker 7: He breaks through the prison bars himself who are playing quickly as well, Metcalf, pouncers crappers, tell himself, get to bells, get it a takedown.
Speaker 5: Brilliant pain look Calf doing it.
Speaker 9: Again for the Warriors. K curl scores and they've gone back sept back at eight points to nil. Across the guitar, he'll kick a chance out ride.
Speaker 7: Bostock was there looking forward tip gum By converting dolphins and Nichols play on.
Speaker 5: Here is the curl rfeas go just wanting it live. My gut instinct said that that was forward from Nichols.
Speaker 8: Nichols knocks the ball on in the field of play jack.
Speaker 7: You should have a rotaf back, trust me inside the Warriors thirty last play Tista Vita kicks out wide.
Speaker 5: Laif in his door had a jugger put down. If my field try it is so points to the Warriors. Here is guitar, Nick Arena. Now that hatter.
Speaker 9: He takes them out tis a minute and he does wins the race to the line.
Speaker 5: They have points at once on the point off the shoulder there Officier Harris direct contact, shouldered the head mo at force and a go.
Speaker 7: He goes four plays gone, goes back to Katoa.
Speaker 5: He looks at Nick Arema.
Speaker 7: HAMERSO TEPI ifdo fine work, I get it again.
Speaker 5: The Dolphins are alive.
Speaker 6: The head kicking well.
Speaker 7: On the edges have been outstanding for the Warriors. Last play it comes to Nick Arena. He puts a kick in. Costa is there toes it further and toes it out of play.
Speaker 5: Make it five on the trucks. Another nail player.
Speaker 7: Though at full time they've taken down the Dolphins at sun Corp Stadium sixteen points to twelve.
Speaker 10: This is the Big League podcast. This is going on, Yeah, the Big League podcast on the Warriors bandwagons.
Speaker 3: Since d one.
Speaker 2: Well, bur let's get through this game in a little bit more detailed. Look, I know we need to preface this by the fact you're actually in Melbourne. You're a busy man at the moment, and you're going to be again this week in Auckland FC in the A League semifinals. At the moment they'll host Melbourne Victory on Saturday. Then it's on to the Warriors at Mount Smart on Sunday against Canberra. But it was a real arm wrestle early, which it has been over the last few weeks. We had Chanelle Harris Devita dropped the ball over the line. There was a disallowed try each. But what I did like from what I saw at least were the Warriors fifth tackle options, you know, those kicks that could have been tries on any other day to Harris Deavita on two different occasions that they were very well placed, and the work in particular how Metcalf and Near Corre were combining on that right edge. There was a lot of different pictures being thrown at Tom Gilbert and Cody Nicarima and defense and eventually that told a lovely little way can pass for an outline for Near Correy to go through. And then immediately after that, look we've probably been waiting for the rubb of the green to go the Warrior's way over the last decade, and we finally got one out of nowhere Roger to have Arsischeck was one of the most obvious knock ons I've ever seen in a kick reception missed, it's regathered by Harris Tavita who was in an off side position, and then within the space of thirty seconds a barnstorming run from Aaron Clark and then a bit of individual brilliance from Luke Metcalf little Chip and Chase through Kirk Capewell and support and at that point it's ten points to Now we're heading into the sheds. What did you make of the first forty before we get into the second half.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean major turning point, isn't it.
Speaker 4: But I do think it's been a it's been a bit overblown. Like sure it was a knock on, it went sideways, but did go forward, no problem there and what he was off side. But the point I would make is it wasn't like the Warriors scored on the next tackle. You know they still had it was a swing. It was a turning point, But I thought the Dolphin's got a bit carried away after the game with going on and on abit that, because you know they did have time to recover. But what I did like like you was the last tackle plays because if that's a criticism of the last few weeks, and it's hard to criticize a team too much that's winning. But even Andrew Webster's said this after most games in this last period that they have, you know that overused were clunky, but they have been a bit clunky. Options haven't always been great, so they haven't got the most out of possession. But it kind of clicked a bit more on Saturday. They kind of felt like they'd planned what they wanted to do and then they executed well. So another good sign. Quite tenacious too, in that in that first half, you know, hot conditions, fast paced game, a lot happening, so you know to stay in. It's always a good sign when you stay in the contest and you're scoring tries towards the end of either half. And really nice, really nice to see in the coord because he was good in twenty three. He obviously had a lot of problems in twenty four with injuries and other things, but he looked on Saturda there were glimpses of.
Speaker 6: Paramount Nicordo, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll put my hand up and say that I've been pretty disappointed with Madatana Carter over the last year. But I thought, as you say, real glimpses of he went close to scoring a second early in the second half.
Speaker 3: You know, he's a big body.
Speaker 2: I think there was something made of it last year that is effectively the same height at least as.
Speaker 3: A Adam Fanua Blake.
Speaker 2: And you just want to you just want to see that sort of ball carrying physicality and presence used. Sometimes it just feels like he sort of braces for the contact rather than uses that massive frame and bends the defensive line. And look, just on your point too, burge around the dolphins and making a bit of a song of dance about the the RTS knock on. Look, you've just got to look at some of their statistics. They did not help themselves out or they were inaccurate, They were ill disciplined. The penalty count it did even up to towards the back end of the game, but it was eight to two after half an hour.
Speaker 3: I think the completion rate was about seventy percent.
Speaker 2: So they need to look at their own house before throwing some stones around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, to be fair, Christian Wolf's a good guy, and to be fair to him. I think he was just really frustrated as well because there were so many bunker calls and so many disallowed tries to both teams. But the Dolphins got their first year and they'd be a couple of those disallowed tries, which.
Speaker 6: I guess they could see in another way or they could argue. So yeah.
Speaker 2: Then we get into the second half and again it sort of resumes that sort of arm wrestle set for set type contest. It's not until relatively late that we see our next points through Jacob Labin, who I thought came on really strong first Nral career try from him offer another well placed kicked. That one was from Chanelle, Harris, Tavita and Burgiere starting. I think we're ten minutes to go sixteen points to know this one is all done and dusted.
Speaker 3: But this is the Warriors.
Speaker 2: They loved the close contest all of a sudden, so they just had to They had to add a little bit of GST for us, and we got a nervous finish. What did you the last ten or so minutes as you che and you see for Sha Harris, Git sinnburned a couple of lapses and all of a sudden you're on the edge of your seat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, for once, I wasn't writing this match report. I've had a few a few massive rewrites this year, or thinking I'm going to do a big rewrite because it's been some hard ones to write.
Speaker 6: I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I was means you say, in Melbourne in a pub with a whole lot of aalk and the f C fans quite memorable actually because they were enjoying the game. But also we're in a Melbourne pub with there's five massive screens all the AFL on, so we have to go and convince the guy to put the rugby league on, which made it for a really a really nice occasion.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, it always felt kind of safe because you knew the time was sticking down.
Speaker 6: But it did get a bit uncomfortable, you know.
Speaker 4: And even the last play when the Dolphins make their kicking you I know, surely not, surely not.
Speaker 6: It got way too, way too tense.
Speaker 4: Webster again will be sitting there thinking, geez, why can't we just be comfortable like they were comfortable in christ Us against the Knights. But apart from that, they make it difficult. You turn it into a positive and you say that they hung on again, and look they do. Look they do look composed. You know, they do look pretty composed. The lapses are coming, the mistakes come, but they reset quickly. I'd say that is an obvious major difference from last year, where a mistake came. They couldn't defend their mistakes last year. This season they're defending their errors, or their the penalties or their issues. They're defending them quite well, which is massive, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Certainly Well, here's Andrew Webster's summation of that eighty minutes over in Brisbane against the Dolphins. He personally thought it was a marked improvement on the previous two weeks, the wins over the Dragons and the Cowboys.
Speaker 11: That one's a bit different the last couple of weeks. I was still a heart attack at the end. A bit about it I felt was just how in control we looked defensively.
Speaker 6: They had so much balling out of triline. We're in now half.
Speaker 11: Really the thing we're going to work on is just tackle four penalties or sixty games a game on leg up better their end. But I just a little talm controlled fish wind of the pin and right at them, we could have crumbled and the stay solid again.
Speaker 6: I actually thought we'd look way better.
Speaker 2: And I have to agree, yeah, look again, it was that that nail biting finish, But on the whole, calm collected. They're not usually words that you sort of associated with the Warrior's team burge, but there's a real DNA about this team there, and just the willingness to fight for each other and scramble defensively. Sometimes it doesn't look pretty, but it's it's very effective.
Speaker 4: Very effective and even even you know, losing your co captain to a sin bin, which I wasn't completely sure about. I thought maybe the the Dolphins players sort of.
Speaker 2: A bit of a it was a bit of a mitigating factor, wasn't It was sort of body position lar wad, But I think it was the nature of how Fisher Harris is armed and quite rap and cock shoulder that probably put it that way with and he's gone for at least a week now, so there was definitely something in it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, if.
Speaker 4: And doubt I like to see those given because it's something you want to see eradicated.
Speaker 6: So overall, no issue, but but it was one that.
Speaker 4: You could sort of you could argue, but no, I should be the fact he goes off. They remain composed. The Dolphins are a good team this year, you know. I like what they beat the Storm, a massive score on the Storm. You know, so they're a good team. They're at home, big crowd. It just all adds up to I don't know, you're getting an impression about this team which is quite exciting, Like no one's getting carried away like they're not the second best team in the NRL. The second on the ladder then definitely not the second best team in the NRL. I still wouldn't have them in the top four teams in the NRL in terms of ability right now. But they have got this foundation, which means that September football is looking more and more likely because you know, they can, like you said just before, there's a little bit pressure on now, so they can afford to drop a couple of games. They're going to drop a couple of games. They're going to have some hard times, but it won't be terminal. You know that if they rebound, then they should collect enough wins to be September. And I think the big point for me is what kind of team will we see in September. You know that the improvement that we could have in two or three months could be quite startling. You know, there's still questions that have got fair experienced half combination, et cetera, et cetera. They've got some other little holes, but they're in a position that a lot of other teams would love to be, and both in terms of their their points on the ladder, but just also in terms of their growth and their potential growth as a squad.
Speaker 2: A couple of individuals I did want to highlight before we start to take a look at Sunday's game against Canberra and look, I am down base here in christ so I've got a little bit of bias here. But Tannis sour Is Smith quite the story come out of the Halls or Hornets junior program. Had a little dabble in rugby union, ended up back in rugby league and with some unavailability I'll swear injuries to lots of bunty off He makes his RL first grade debut. It's the tenth RL first grade club debut that Andrew Webster has has handed out and his tenure since taking over in twenty twenty three came on pretty solid. No.
Speaker 3: Frills, you know, twenty five minutes.
Speaker 2: He's like a new bald brother with no jazz Ta Vuger or Dylan Walker. What did you make of Tannis dalers Smith getting a run in first grade?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, in the great traditions of South Island Fords. Yeah, solid, had it go, got stuck in all the things you want to see. Not easy on debut, not easy coming on in that situation, in that game. They've quite liked him for quite a while and he's just had He's had injuries, he had a few other setbacks. So it's just great to see him getting a chance, you know, because until he gets a chance, you don't know what his ceiling is. But as you would know, Nick, not easy to make it out of christ Church, even though that even though the league scenes well, even though the league seems getting better down.
Speaker 2: I thought you meant more broadly speaking, just in general rather than rugby leagu Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, you've made it, made it as well on the mid League podcast. But I've made it big top.
Speaker 6: I was just meaning in terms of league.
Speaker 4: It's a tough pathway from playing footy in christ Church to getting to the narrow You know, the kids in Auckland have obviously got an advantage, so I reckon, you've got to be a bit a bit special. Yeah, Ue quite tough mentally to do so, so.
Speaker 6: We're repeating ourselves.
Speaker 4: But it's another nice little sign that a kid comes in and does well.
Speaker 2: And look at the other end of the career arc. Kirk Capele just slotting in there in the centers. He's up against an excitement machine and Herbie Farnworth. I know I did score a trilate, but some great defensive work, in particular covering for Dallan who loves jamming and on hand to score that try as well, it has to be in the right place at the right time to follow Luke Metcalf's little chip and chase. Here's Andrew Webster first on Kirk Caple's performance on Saturday.
Speaker 11: He's been awesome wherever he's played this year. People don't realize he had a lot of injuries and ningles last year. He's got himself physically in light shape and you see how well he plays and his leadership he's unbelievable. He's leading by his actions. I honestly think he's been so good for us, particularly the.
Speaker 2: Last six weeks capear Burge. He's becoming a bit of a fan favorite.
Speaker 4: I think he is, and it's really nice to see because he's a genuinely nice guy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I've had a couple of chats to him here and there. I ran into him at the Warriors Season Awards and had a little chat for a few minutes about his pre season and they had a holiday back home and his wife was you know, they got a little one, et cetera, et cetera, and just just a nice guy to talk to. Really knows for he loves forty being around. But what I'm so happy for him is that he came in last year. As you know, it was like the adding Roger. They're adding him and this was going to be the icing on the cake and here we go.
Speaker 6: And of course it didn't work out for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 4: They team didn't have a great year, and he didn't have an amazing year either, and he's not as spectacular player fans, so I guess fans would take a bit longer to warm to him. And as Andrew Webs just pointed out, he did have some injuries and things that people didn't know about, which always slows you down. So the fact that he's really showing, he's showing why they brought him this year, isn't it. You know, he just slots in you gets the job done. It's not easy to play center in the NRL. He's not the he's not the quickest guy, but he's quick enough. He's smart, covers so well defensively, and then he's popped up this year with a few crucial tries.
Speaker 2: No, he's he's been a heck of a sign. I must have met when he signed the three year deal. As you say, twenty twenty four felt like post twenty twenty three, it was like chips and let's go get a veteran.
Speaker 3: And then when it didn't work out last year, I.
Speaker 2: Almost felt it was time for a rebuild and these guys at this end of the career ARC would be looking elsewhere. But here we are now, the Warriors eight wins from ten, and this might be the window after all. Plenty more to come here on the Big League Podcast, We're going to preview the canber Raiders game next and Speed of capele of course State of Origin next week. One Warrior in, but a couple not making the grade.
Speaker 10: The Big League Comic god League cod on.
Speaker 3: The Warriors bad Wagons since day.
Speaker 10: One, the Big League podcast for the biggest league fans.
Speaker 2: Well up next for the Warriors are the Canberra Raiders, who, of course, unless we forget rolled through Andrew Webster's side and Las Vegas feels like a long time ago. Birch thirty points to eight. Their record is eight eight wins, three losses. Warriors is eight wins, two losses. We're going to get to Camber in a six. But obviously team name Tuesday, or at least the team name list. I did notice some silly bug has been played again by Andrew Webster or whoever looks after the team lists with the twenty four hour cutoff. Roger tow of us as Shit was briefly listed at center on Friday afternoon, then Tame too a picky drops off artierspect to the wing kirt capable from the interchange to the centers. Wheby or whoever it likes to play some games with media and the opposition, but for this team naming at least two big outs for different reasons. No James Fisher Harris due to that hits on Saturday. It will be at least a one match ban. If he fights it and it's unsuccessful at the judiciary, it will be two weeks and Mitch Barnett straight into New South Wales state of origin camp.
Speaker 3: We'll get to those players.
Speaker 2: Most notably Wade Egan and Kirk Capable not making origin in the SEC. But just when you take a look at who is there, who is available, there's no Buntier fire as well. I really liked what mard Artaiir Coordo did on the edge, but it looks like he's very much going to have to do a job in the middle of this weekend. Berge and Jackson Ford, who missed the game at the weekend with head injury protocols, is probably going to be thrust in and expected to play big minutes.
Speaker 3: Is that how you see it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, most likely you've nailed it. Nicorda is an interesting one because since the emergence of lequahali Aesima with Halle Asima and Katewell in the second row, there's a feeling that he's going to be pushed more towards the middle.
Speaker 6: Webster is open to that.
Speaker 4: Webster also recognizes, you know how good it is on the edge, but yeah, when they're at full strength, you can see in the coordate in the middle. I'm not so sure but that I really like what he does on the edge, like you said before, so let's see how that plays out. But he'll be in the middle, no doubt, big body, and they'll probably go with Ford as the starting option. It'll be a really interesting middle rotation. I think they'll need to be clever with how they rotate and get players on and off quicker than normal because it's a real challenge. And when we talk about challenges so often in the season, but to go up against the Raiders without your two premiere props, your two leaders, is really tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they don't lose anything Raiders in terms of their middle, at least for state of origin. Joe Tarpena, of course, is a Kiwi. Corey Hawsbert didn't make the Queensland cut and Josh Papaletti has retired from representative duties, so they're effectively at full strength. I think Hudson Young made the new South Wales team, but just on origin. From a warrior's perspective, Burge, what did you make of Laurie Daily coming in. He's stuck with a lot of incumbents, including Rhys Robson at hooker. I thought, you know, Wade e can can't do any more in my view, different player, and maybe the criticism could be might not be cut out for.
Speaker 12: The Origin arena and an Origin tackle and an Origin hit up or whatever, But it's the craft and guile of Wade Egan. He's been right there at the top of the tree for me in terms of hookers in this competition. Were you surprised that he wasn't in the mix this time around? And then I gr second to that.
Speaker 2: We've just been glowing in our praise of Kirk cape Pele and he was there for two of the three games for Billy Sladers Queensland last year. They've gone with a guy who's only played I think about eight or nine first grade games and Robert Toyer and the centers both Firmore as well from Gold Coast Titans, and what did you make. It's a blessing for the Warriors in many ways. They're going to have Wade Egan and Kirk Capble this week. But what was your reaction to both of those guys not being in State of Origin selection at least for game one.
Speaker 4: It's great news for the Warriors to have them. Although when players do good Origin it gives them a boost, so it does benefit the club in the long run and overall, but great to have them this week in particular. I wasn't completely surprised about Wade Egan. I spoke to a couple of Wazsi Juerno's last week and the feeling I got was that it was close.
Speaker 6: It was going to be close, and he was very close.
Speaker 4: But I think what happens with the Origin quite often, especially daily coming back in as coach, especially for the first game of a series, it's hard not to go for their incumbent, and the incumbent has been there, done that. The problem for Egan is the position hooker is such a vital position, so to throw a guy and who's never played there makes coaches it's sorry, never played in that arena. Makes coaches a bit more nervous than they're wad about throwing in a winger as center, a second row, middle forward, you know what I mean. So I think it was very close. Egan has impressed a lot of people over there, and they could have picked them. But I think robson the fact he is in company's been there. He was there for game three. Last year, he also had a good game when the Cowboys played the Warriors. He possibly shaded Egan in that game, possibly, but but I thought it was very close. But yeah, they're going to always go with the guy who's been there. But that doesn't mean the door's shut, you know if depending what happens, you know, I could see Egan coming in for for game game two or three. That that's a lot more likely to me because it's sort of like, oh, we need to make a change, we need to do something different, and Cape, well, I think it's just age. They love what he's done, that they've been loyal to him. He's been loyal to them. He's a he's an origin player, he really is, but he is a year older and I think playing as center in that arena is probably a bit I mean, he could do it, but it's probably a bit of a stretch. So so then you look at him, you look at him as a as a second rower and Slay has gone else. But look at no doubt that if there are injuries, they'll be on the phone to Curt completely agree.
Speaker 3: Well, look a word on Canberra.
Speaker 2: Then coming into Sunday as we're just touching on before big mobile pack. Joe Tarp and er Corey Hawsbro tend to offload at will when they're given the opportunity. Jamal Foger, he's playing some really good football. How do the Warriors go six and r row burge against a very good Raiders side.
Speaker 4: It's going to be hard, mate, isn't it? Because I think the Raiders match up really well against the Warriors. You know, I've still got nightmares about Las Vegas and just the way they steam roll through the middle. They got their offloads going. They're one of the best. I don't know, there's not many better offloading teams in the competition, and Stewart's just got them going so well that they're just so connected this year. I never forget being in Vegas and someone had asked Ricky Stewart about the fact that there were Australian newspapers that had them tipped as wooden spooners, and he bristled a bit as he does, and got a bit angry with the question. But the guy asking, well, it wasn't me, mate, I didn't write that. He said, no, I know you didn't. I know you didn't, But I've noticed that and it's always the same people, always writing us off, so he loves that siege mentality. It's worked so well for them. But they're a good team. I mean, I know they got beaten by the Bulldogs a couple of weeks ago, but just the way they beat they beat the Storm before that, that was very impressive.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: I think some people thinking, oh, they've started hot, but can they maintain it? But they are maintaining it. So I haven't really answered your question because and I'm not avoiding it, but it's just because it's a little bit scary because Foggerty has such a good kicking game, so they've got the yardage, they defend well, and then I think they're the kind of team when they're in the red zone they make it counts.
Speaker 6: So with the Warriors, they'll have to try it there.
Speaker 4: Won't be able to do what they did against Dolphins, Dragons and Cowboys and give up a lot of a lot of territory and a lot of red zone opportunities, because I think the Raiders are the kind of team where it's quite hard to defend on your life against them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, at least one thing is for certain. At least I think is that Aaron Clark will be starting against the Raiders. This game was quite critical when I jumped on this podcast after that Vegas one where Aaron Clark was for some strange reason on the interchange and what are we two months later plus and he's been bandied about as one of the buyers of the year, which I completely agree with. One of the other things I'd add too is they just have pace, like Xavier Savage. If a Waten is Alesnak or the two of us as shit gets that jam and wrong on defense and a Savage has you know, a yard ahead to get out wide and go lookout Kayo Weeks as well, So it's gonna be a fantastic occasion. Another salout unsurprisingly, and a special jersey too, which was designed by former Warrior Lewis Brown. So looking forward to seeing that come Sunday afternoon The League Podcast for some quick fire predictions here on The Big League Podcast as a truncate around twelve of NRAL action with State of Origin. Next Wednesday, we start Michael Burgers with the top of the table Bulldogs.
Speaker 3: They've got the Dolphins.
Speaker 4: It's really hard to tip against the Bulldogs at the moment, they're just got all the answers. I know they've lost a couple of players to Origin, but I think at home against the Dolphins, Dolphins will be determined to bounce back.
Speaker 6: But I think I go for Canry Banks down here.
Speaker 3: I'm with you too.
Speaker 2: So I haven't found Nathan Limb's buzzer and tick, and you didn't leave that in the handover notes for this trip to South Korea. I'm assuming that's rugby league related. But Paramatta and Manly Seagles next.
Speaker 4: Manly we're very good on the weekend. I really liked how they looked to get the Cowboys. That's a good one, and that's a good omen. The Eels have been much better. Nathan was quite amused throughout the first six games of the season, and I kept tipping the Eels and saying, sure that they come right, and they weren't coming right. They had been better, but they're without Mitch Moses, which is pretty tough I would have thought. So I'll go with the Manly to win the Classic. It's the classic eighties rivalry in ERL derby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be interesting with those team lists.
Speaker 2: Of course, Cherry Evans playing State of Origin as well, But yeah, I think it's a twelve point swing almost not having Mitch Moses there for Paramatter at the minute. Dylan Brown would have to have a storming game to get Paramatter up. So I will go manly as well. Panthers, Knights, Geen, Newcastle and Arell bind at the moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a bit of a mess. I really feel for them, such a proud club. I'm not sure where they go from here. Panthers missing players obviously, including the Big Dog, but they should be too good for Newcastle at home, especially the way the Nights are.
Speaker 6: Going at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're singing from the same song sheets so far.
Speaker 2: I've got Penrith even without, as you say, the clear E's and the o's of the world Noklen of course as well for Newcastle. Onto the Roosters and the Sharks. And gee, the Sharks were good at the weekend.
Speaker 4: The Sharks were good, man. I remember watching them in Vegas where they really pushed the Panthers. They had Adam and you're like, gee, this is a formidable team. They could have beaten Penrith that night and both teams played well. You think, okay, this actually could be the year because they've been they have the last two seasons have been the top four team that haven't quite made the next step. And then they faded a little bit or they had a couple ups and downs now after that. But yeah, that was a bit of a bit of a signal, I thought that performance. So I really liked although the Roosters were good too on the weekend against the Bulldogs, but yeah, I like the Sharks in this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see again.
Speaker 2: And then it's one of the big one for a lot of us Sunday afternoon Warriors.
Speaker 3: Raiders does to go with your heart or your head? Here, Burj, I was just.
Speaker 6: Thinking that your heart or head.
Speaker 4: If you go with the head, you say Raiders, they'll be favorites at the TBL would have thought it's a big ask for a Warriors team with such a makeshift pack, but but they're coming home. They're coming home after a month. They've got to sell out crowd. And it's not just sell it crowd, it's going to be the biggest crowd the season because awkleyf c Have put in two seven hundred extra seats for the game on Saturday, and they'll still be there on the Sunday. So the crowd's going to be near twenty nine thousand, it's going to be quite and having those that grandstand at the north end of the ground, it's going to be pretty cool and going to make a real cauldron. I really thought, so what's that worth? Six eight points? So that could get them close?
Speaker 6: So I will.
Speaker 4: Oh shit, I'll go with the Warriors, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll go with the Warriors as well. I can't live with myself if I pack against the Warriors. I've done that enough over the years, particularly on this podcast.
Speaker 2: But we'll save our State of Origin peak for next week actually because I will be back with you next Monday to wrap up that's our Warriors Canberra game and maybe have a closer look at State of Origin one. But that'll do us here for this week on the Big League Podcast. My thanks to you Michael Burgess. Please follow and rate the podcast wherever you listen in My name is Nick Geeley.
Speaker 3: Have a great week.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks at b listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go. With our podcasts on iHeartRadio