Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident build Up podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from News Talks at Bay.
Speaker 2: The house is a hole, even when it's darns, even when the grass is overgrown in the yard, and even when the dog is too old to borrow, and when you're sitting at the table trying to start.
Speaker 3: Scissor home, even when we are band even when you're there alone, the house is a hole, even when those goes, Even when you.
Speaker 2: Got around from the world you love your most.
Speaker 4: Scream does pins being in.
Speaker 2: Fund locals when these.
Speaker 3: Even when we ben, even when you're there alone.
Speaker 4: Well, very very good morning to you. Welcome along to the Resident Builder on Sunday morning's people off camp the Resident Builder. And this is an opportunity for the next two and a half, well kind of three hours to talk all things building and construction. And it's a big, wide open playing field really that we can sort of romp around on taking our pack of topics around. It might be around compliance, it might be around trades people, it might be around renovations, alterations, contracts, move and dates, these sorts of things. And there's a few things that sort of come through my week where I go, oh, actually that's not something we could talk about on the show, and I'm prompted. Actually I saw a couple of stories this week. It's still pretty tough times. In fact, it's extremely tough times out there in the construction sector, and it's tough for trades people often. But what obviously comes along with these tough times as well is the impact on people who have perhaps purchased off the plans they've got to move and date that move and date keep shifting, or really distressing story that I picked up online during the course of this week where people have actually put down deposits on a house and land package where in the end the developer, the person to whom they've paid the deposit for their new home sometime in the future, has ended up going into liquidation. In fact, there's no land, no house, and the deposit money has gone as well. So there's some tough still some tough times out there in the sector. If you've been caught in that somehow, certainly hope it all works out okay for you, but we may want to talk about that certainly as the days get a little bit longer. Beautiful, beautiful sunrise this morning, as I was turtning my way over the Harbor Bridge. If you're thinking about, as we all are, projects that we might want to do. G I was thinking get done before Christmas, but there's not that many days left before Christmas realistically to get a decent sized project done. Or perhaps you're thinking, well, actually, I'm going to take advantage of some time off over the Christmas break and I want to add a pergola. I'm going to extend the deck, maybe do some alterations the interior of the property. Those sorts of things we can talk about. Those, we can talk about what regulations might be around. Do I need a building consent for this? Do I not need a building consent for this? Certainly if you did need one, I think the chances of getting one before Christmas probably a bit unlikely right now. So we can talk about your place, about legislation, about products, about new ideas. A little bit of a revelation for me, not revelation, yes, sort of a revelation for me, just in terms of tools that I have been dismissive of. So a confession from me a little bit later on this morning, where I may have been dismissive of a particular type of tool, it has now fast become one of my favorite and most well used tools in the workshop. Anyway, we'll talk about that a little bit later on, but today is all about you. So if you've got a question about building and about the wide variety of topics that come under a heading that says, let's talk about building, we can do that this morning on the program. We will do that right through till about nine eight thirty this morning. Then the Red Climb Past will join us. We'll talk all things gardening and the wonderful world of entomology, the wonderful world of bugs as well from about eight thirty this morning. And to be fair, I'm going to keep one eye on the television screens is live pictures coming out from Paris. Dignitaries are starting to arrive in Paris for the opening of Notre Dame, the official sort of high faluting opening of Notre Dame. I have been following this ever since the fire. I thought, when the fire happened and you saw those images of the flames licking through the roof and then the spire crashing down through the top of the roof and the scaffolding melting and falling into the inferno, and then the typical frenchness. I guess of Macron just standing and saying we are going to fix it, and we're going to fix it by the Olympics. Didn't quite make it by the Olympics, but not far off. So a remarkable room. I have been absolutely captivated over the last couple of years by especially, you know, the little video clips you see online of carpenters, stone masons, lead work people, people who do gilding, people who do restoration of stained glass, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera working on this building, and then to see it all come together, it's gosh, it's about far out. It will be almost twenty years since I've been to Paris and had a wand around the Notre Dame, and to see it today it looks absolutely absolutely stunning. We could go political, say contrast that to christ Church. Anyway, we won't go there this morning. I think we just celebrate the crafts people, the craftsmen who have worked, the stone masons, the carpenters, the people doing the shingles, the people you know, restoring the stone masons, remaking the gargoyles. It's just been absolutely phenomenal. Oh eight one hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call. Let's talk all things, building a few projects a little bit smaller than Notre Dame. That's okay as well. Oh, eight hundred eighty eighty is the number to call. Mike, A very good morning to you. I don't know what it is with the screen, but it's given up being a touch screen. I can tell you that for a fact, right Mike, good morning.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 6: I was very fifty house with five us past siy yes, beautiful, and the seiling in places, the surfaces breaking down a little bit. It's a cracker and crazy and lift a little bit. I was talking to a guy some time ago who used to make them, and he said, well, he said, when we made them, we knew they're going to know who last about fifty years. But ever he told me that when I bought the house. Yeah, my mother in law next door she had the same problem. She put battens and jim because it's a very big caller sid it, yes and jib and you know, I'm plaster that. Somebody said you can you can coat over it with a plaster skin coated and that would work. But I'm not too sure or do you need to put beatons on. Can you just secure a small sort of jibs directly to the ceiling.
Speaker 4: Would you say the surface is cracking? Is that actually the plaster board or the fibrous plaster, or is it just the layers of paint that might have been applied to it over the years.
Speaker 6: Well, it could well be. It's it's sort of cracking in places and and sort of lifting a bit. Yeah, I mean, I'm not too sure. I haven't gone up there and satis scraping.
Speaker 4: Because yeah, okay, look, I think one of the great benefits of fibrous plaster is it is remarkably robust, right, So it's it's literally plaster all the ways through, with obviously some reinforcing, which is like the old Hessian on. One of the issues sometimes can be that the way in which they were fixed to the ceiling joists in most houses is they fix the sheet up and they put a clout through it. But they'd also climb up into the roof space, sometimes with a bucket of plaster and some wadding, some of this reinforcing, this fibrous reinforcing, and make like a little saddle that glued down to the surface of the sheet and then went up and over the ceiling joist. Now, if they've started to deteriorate, which can happen I guess over time, and you've got some movement, then you might want to fix that. But I suspect yeah.
Speaker 6: And I don't see anything right up there. I don't see this sadly, as you talk about the.
Speaker 4: Roof, right, look, are there any issues with moisture like you get there's no leaks in the roof or anything like that.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, nothing like that.
Speaker 4: I would have thought that scraping back the loose flaking areas because what would it be two three percent of the entire surface of the ceiling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess, so, yeah, right.
Speaker 4: I reckon scraping those back, maybe getting someone into skim the surface in those areas to bring them up flat standing it using I would go for a pigmented seala, so an oil based pigmented seala like sure seal from razine, and then go over the top of that with your top coats. Because I mean, like the other day, I went to look at a house that was unfortunately she was a deceased estate. Someone that I knew was thinking about making an offer on it, and it was nineteen fifties. It had fibrous plaster ceilings all the way through with quite a heavy detailed cornice around it as well. And yeah, while it needed repair, it certainly didn't need replacement, so I would have thought replacement or relining would be unnecessary. I think you can.
Speaker 6: See in the wall is the same as the wall fibers past, and you could see some places where there's lottery bold with it looks like the nails are popped.
Speaker 4: But again you can. You could either take the take the nails, take the old nail out, or drive it back in, fix a brand new you know, some new fixings either side and then go from there. The other option for you is to get in touch. I know in Auckland there's surprisingly there's still actually a couple of people that make fibrous plaster sheets and plaster Craft is one company that are still doing it. They used to be out and only Hunger. They're out Mount Wellington Way now, so I'm not sure where you are in the country, but okay, look, you know a phone call to someone who's still involved in it, or if I remember the guys that I used to use for my jibs stopping years and years ago, and they were old boys. Then they when they started out in their trades, they were doing fibrous plaster all the time. I don't know that you find many older tradesmen basically these days who would still be familiar with it. But my sense is that you can repair it. I wouldn't. I wouldn't be looking at replacing it. No, look at replace here you or relining it.
Speaker 5: Or molded mold. Yeah, beautiful.
Speaker 7: I'd stick with it.
Speaker 4: I think it'll be It'll need some work, but I think you'll be rewarded for your efforts some money. Yeah, I know, I know. And yeah, all right, nice to talk to you. All the best, Mike, you take care see them. Yeah, isn't there. It's not the work, it's the money. You're absolutely right, of course. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. We'll take your calls. We'll talk five rous plaster, we'll talk jobs around the house. Maybe we talk money and budgets and how do you I've always maintained I haven't said this for a while now. As if you're a home owner, right, I think you need to either have money set aside or have the ability to access that money either by drawing down on the mortgage or something like that. And I've always thought you should put aside. And I don't know where I got this figure from, so it might be a bit random. Around zero point five percent of the value of the house into a maintenance pool about point five percent, So do the calculations about point five percent, and that will if it's a fund that builds up over time. You know you'll have money there when you need to replace the roof, or if you need to do a complete exterior repaint including you know, potentially scaffolding and a few maintenance but some pieces to weather boards or cladding and that sort of thing, you'll have it there. Because the one thing that's absolutely certain is maintenance delayed is just ends up resulting in a much bigger job. And I've seen that a thousand times eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you've got a question about building, around construction, around materials to use, products to use, tools to use. I mean we're coming up to Christmas. We could talk Christmas gift buying as well. The person who has everything, what do you get the person who's got everything? I might even have a tip on that one as well. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. The lines are open ready for your calls. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call. You can text as well. We've got a couple of texts come through this morning. Text nine to nine two is ABCB from mobile phone. And if you would like to email me, you more than welcome. It is Pete at Newstalk SB dot code. So Pete, p E t E at Newstalk ZB dot co dot NZI. Okay, a couple of quick texts, Hey, Pete, I live in a nineteen forties house with a brick A nineteen forties house with a brick exterior that has been plastered. The plaster has some hairline cracks that seem to have been created by normal house movement. What solutions are available to repair these cracks? Thanks from Sam, Let's assume that the cracks are relatively minor, so they're the sort of movement cracks that, as you quite rightly say, you'd expect from normal house movement. And if it's been painted, if you're going to use a good quality paint designed for rendered surfaces, then you'll probably find that anything up to about two millimeters, the paint will actually span that and cover that. Anything more than that, given that you're going to paint it use you could use flexible sealant. The hard thing is trying to not make that look really obvious. You know, we've probably all seen lots of repairs and masonry work where someone's just taken a tube of silicon and squirted out a bead of silicon and then smeared it off with their finger, and you get this great, big wide swadge of silicon on the outside of the building and then paint over it, and it just draws attention to it rather than hide the defect. It just draws attention to the defect. But if you were very neat with that, you could use it. There are also some semonititious based repair products, So if the crack's a little bit bigger, and if it's got a slightly textured surface, you could make up a slurry with this, apply it into the crack and then use a sponge or even a brush and then brush it off so that it matches the exterior texture of the building, and then prime and recope. That so a couple of options there, But I think if they're relatively minor. New coat of paint will actually be able to span most of those. And this is delightful text from Helen this morning, Morning Peak. I listen to you each week. I'm a hopeless I'm sure that's not true. Seventy three year old female not able to fix anything regards building. Friday, the bottom screws fell out of a kitchen door. What do I do? I remembered you said to put a broken match into the hole so the screw has some grip. So I had some screws that matched with the old Phillips screwdriver. Thank you. It's fixed. How satisfying. And I think Helen and you have encapsulated expressed the satisfaction of DIY right there, and then there is a tremendous, tremendous satisfaction in going I fixed it, And you know, in this case it's a that's actually quite a tricky job to do, to be fair, So well done to you. I think that's absolutely brilliant. Thank you very very much for your call, Helen. I wish you all the very best for Christmas and the new Year. We're going to take a short break. If you've got a text or a question you should call. Now, oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number. Getting a number of texts and on that comment that I made around sort of a maintenance savings plan. Now, look, I absolutely acknowledge the fact that that's in today's times, that's possibly not durable or not easily durable. But someone's responded by saying, hey, Pete, regards your comment about the home maintenance. Recently, I heard a comment that you should look at spending one percent of the value of your house purchase per year. Now, I guess this would mean that, as you said, you regularly put this amount of money aside each year, some of which may be spent in the year or more importantly saved for the big job. So yeah, I mean zero point five might be a little bit light better than nothing. One percent would be great. And even if it wasn't money that you had, you know, term deposit or something like that, but you were able to access, get the sense that it's probably not far off the mark one percent. Maybe I don't know, do the numbs numbers, let me know what you think, and you know, if you've done let's say you've been in the house for a number of years and you've done a reroof. For example, I suspect for most houses the cost of a reroof would be more than one percent of the value of the house. It's probably a good example. Or an exterior paint job would be worth more than one percent of the value of the house. And again these are not things that you do. You know, reroof you might do every twenty years or so, but a repaint seven eight years probably certainly. I mean we did a big paint job on our place about that time and it needs maintenance. Now that's one of well, it goes on a very long list of jobs that I've got for the summer. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call Johnny, good morning to you. How are you doing.
Speaker 8: Understring? From christ six on that I thoroughly enjoy your program. And you have in an oler house like I do. Ye Now our a a section you probably know this section twenty six of the Housing Corporation Act fifty five on drainage, Property and Pipelines. Now this is an each state house and as you probably know, they used to reroute them to join up two or three properties. And you know for drainage. Now when you've been told by a neighbor that get your own dan and things like that, and she's used two contractors. They had taken no notice from me, and that they just plowed through things, broke the pipe first one that had to be paid for by cost, costing me money all the time in the bottom of the section C. I think of that Act twenty six, the Housing Corporation Act since sixte and four c says that provided that when relaying or appears that rendered necessary by the Act of the default, if any get one of the people that owned the pipe sort of thing here, or they should be the whole cost of the exact exact cost. So what happens there is that still a prie or has it been superseded?
Speaker 4: Wow, given that there is no housing Corporation anymore, potentially the Act will will have changed. But I think responsibility for drainage and services and utilities on your section typically are pretty straightforward. So if for example, it's a wastewater pipe that's connected to your house, you're responsible at for it until such time as it reaches the public line.
Speaker 8: Right that through the neighbors. The first thing they did is put a new driveway in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well again and then.
Speaker 8: They get that contract. I had to get the council approved guy out here to put a camera through there, and they backed up truction smashed the pipe so that the contractor had to come back out. Then I told him, well, you can run my line straight out the street, but they say, oh no, So they ripped up her bit of concrete there and put a piece of plastic in there. The second contract to the contractor to doing know anything about it from these jobs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, I think in those instances where like if if your pipe it must have an easement, Well, I guess so this is still a it's no longer housing Corporates kind of order property and the adjacent properties are also owned by KO.
Speaker 8: No no, no, they're both brokenly.
Speaker 4: Ain't right? Then I presume that they are the other one. You have an easement that allows your drainage drainage to run through the neighboring property. But you know, as a contractor, if I damaged that, I would be responsible for it. Right, So if I've done work on adjoining property and it's damaged your drainage that has a legal right to be there, it's not your responsibility to fix it. It's the person who damaged its responsibility.
Speaker 8: I know that's still as well, is it I.
Speaker 4: Would have thought so, yes, I can't see that having.
Speaker 8: Changed at the time. At first. The first contrary, does it run the line straight out to the street.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you can't just make changes to where drainage runs to suit you. That would have required a consent, would have required permission from the council as to making a new connection. Except is it stormwater or wastewater that we're talking about. Primarily it's just stormwater stormwater. Yeah, councils very reluctant to have more curb discharges these days. They want most stormwater to be piped. If christ Church is anything like Auckland, you'll also have to introduce some mitigation around what you do with your storm water, so controlling flow and during heavy rain events which were more frequent these days. So yeah, just p hoping it straight out into the street wouldn't have been acceptable, right, In other words, the problem and I got to pay for it. Well, Look, if someone has damaged your pipes, it is their problem, right, It's as simple as that, and you just got to stay on.
Speaker 8: Them, right, And that's mainly the second contract at this time. M being punch holes through, holding up a new fence down.
Speaker 4: There, right yeah.
Speaker 8: And then just the best big heavy pigs in there right down the drain line.
Speaker 4: I've done it myself, so I understand what it's like. So anyway, very long story, very long time ago. But yes, enormously it's amazing what you can do with the waratah through the top of one hundred and fifty mili line. Oh yeah, just went straight through perfect.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: To be fair, it wasn't me driving the war retar in, but I did find the end result and had to get guys in to fix it. So that was a while ago. But look, I think if someone damages your drainage, then I think you've got to go. Hey, that's your problem. All the very best of you, Johnny, you take take care of that. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to called Mike a very good morning.
Speaker 9: To you morning.
Speaker 5: Pete.
Speaker 9: Hey, up on the roof the other day and I noticed that a few of the old lead head nails.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 9: So I thought, well, I'll get around to replacing them all. Yes, what's a little trick to getting the ones out without no.
Speaker 4: Heads h without it like the head has gone or just the lead has gone.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the nails basically rusted and the head, the lead head has gone. You know, can call them normal ones out, no problem, but the ones without lead head and they're rusted up a.
Speaker 4: Bit, yes, yeah, yeah. Realistically, the only thing you can try and do is if there's just enough to get purchased with a vice script, so you can get the vice script to grab the top of the essentially the shaft of the nail, right, and then try and get a pry bar underneath the nips of the the teeth of that. You might be able to get it out that way. Is it corrugated? Is it a standard corrugate profile?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Yeah, sixty Okay.
Speaker 4: So I was doing some reroofing a little while ago and I needed to take out a lot of actually I think they were old leadheads as well. And what I did is I got a I happen to have a piece of fifty mili dow right, so big, heavy down okay. So I got a piece of that and I took about ten fifteen millimeters off one side, right, So I just ran it through the saw took that off so that when I put that in the trough of the corrugate iron on top of the perlin. I've got something to leave her on, yep. Right, So it just stops you damaging the sheet. Because one of the things that people inadvertently will do when they're taking out old nails from roofing iron is if you don't get it coming straight out, you end up making the hole bigger, so that when you go to refix with and I'd suggest you use a roofing screw, which is you know, like a sixty five milli long tech screw, which will have a little near prene washer on it. What you don't want to do is have a hole in the sheet that's bigger than what's covered by the head of your roofing screw.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep.
Speaker 12: Look.
Speaker 4: The other thing is because one of the ways of getting an old nail out is to give it a tap down in order to loosen that bond between the nail and the timber. Right, you want to loosen up that friction or you want to break that bond over that's created over time. But the risk is if I tap it down, then I've got less to work with, right, Yeah, yeah, okay, But in those instances I would actually just tap the nail down and maybe use a nail punch to drive it to the side and put your new fixing alongside it. Don't even try and get it out, just knock it down below the ridge of the roofing one and then knock it to the side slightly so you can get a screw into the existing hole and just put a roofing screw in next to it.
Speaker 9: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm pretty trying to avoid having to grip up the whole sheet just for the take of one or two nails.
Speaker 4: Look understand that absolutely, and look if it's the occasional one, then putting a dob of roofing silicon on the in the hole first and then fixing you screw through it, and just making sure that you've got like a bit of silicon that runs around the head. You know, that will stop it as well stop it leaking in the future. Cool, all right, be safe up there. I have seen a very nifty tool made. I don't think you can buy them, but I've seen them online where a guy has made effectively a vice script and then he's welded a slide hammer to the handle of the vice script. So vice script goes on the head of the nail and then you use the slide hammer to pull it straight out. Very clear.
Speaker 5: I give that a crack here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you've got I mean, whether you've got an old slide hammer that you're prepared to sacrifice or you just have got a heavy bit of pipe and a lighter bit of pipe and make your own. Either way it was. I've seen guys use them and it's pretty damn nifty. I have to say.
Speaker 9: Now, the old man was a mechanic and he's been all sorts of right, little slide hammer about eight inches long, quite handy.
Speaker 4: Yep, Yeah, Okay, if you want to sacrifice that, make it into a new tool the way you go.
Speaker 13: Awesome.
Speaker 4: Nice to talk to you all the best, see then, and more importantly, be safe up there as well. We're talking about safety, I think last week on the program. Ah, that's right with and again just ahead of summer, in the possibility that people will be working off ladders and maybe getting onto roofs and that sort of thing. I have to say, one of those memories that I can't shake, let's say, is and this would be Shivers. Sometime in the late nineteen nineties, I was working on a property. We were doing a new build on a Crossley's property in central Auckland, and there was a contractor working for what turned out to be an older couple who had an old house next door to where we were working. And I was working away on the side of the building doing some cladding or something like that, and I had noticed that a contractor had come to do some work on the roof of the adjoining property and I didn't see it, but I heard suddenly a bit of a clatter and a kerfuffle as he slipped from the roof, landed on the porch clear light roofing, bounced basically off that, landed on the handrail below, and then from there landed on the ground, and it was it's the sound of someone falling off a roof, so I went over to offer some assistance. Thankfully, in the end his injuries, while actually reasonably severe and didn't lead to he'd broken his back basically falling off the roof, and because we didn't move him, he was able to be taken to the hospital, and obviously the doctors did what the doctors do. But I think it was one of those things that if he had have tried to get up, or if people had have assisted him up, potentially it would have done life changing injuries. But you know, every time you think it's that classic, you know the acc ads at the moment just have a hmm. It's that moment of going, I wonder if I should just think about doing that in a better way. There's always a better way. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. We'll talk tools as well. We can talk Christmas gift go buying. I know we've got how many Sundays before Christmas?
Speaker 5: Two? Three?
Speaker 4: No, I think it's only two. Hey, I'll get my diary out and figure it out. Eh, then we'll get rid of the confusion. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, let's talk all things building Noel after the break interesting just as a by the by, Just a fascinating number of texts on this comment that I made with regard to sort of essentially having a maintenance fund. Right, So all houses need work, So how much do you need to set aside? And I guess it depends a little bit too on you know, have you bought a new house and you could reasonably expect that your maintenance costs on a new house will be considerably less in the first ten to fifteen years of ownership, but there will still be maintenance costs. So on sets through morning, Pete, one percent of one million is ten grant, which means one hundred and ninety two dollars a week on top of everything else. Who can save one hundred and ninety two dollars a week, No, wonder, maintenance doesn't get done. Very good point, quite interested in your thoughts on this, to be fair, Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call another quick text. I'll just stare with this and then we'll grab nol in just a second, Pete. We're moving into a new apartment. We have a distinct lack of power points in our pantry. The back splash is toughened glass. Are you able to cut holes in that into that to have more power points installed?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 4: No, certainly not on site anyway. And to be fair, if you do tough and glass and you want, you know, like as a splash back, any holes that are drilled in it or squares that are cut out of it are done in the factory prior to the toughening. So I think doing it after the toughening is a no no, please don't try that with a tile saw or whatever. Eight hundred eight the number to call Noel A very good morning. In morning Pep, you make good buddy yourself.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, I was just listening to your last caller having the hard trouble getting nails out of his roof. Yes, yeah, I had a bit of trouble like that, and I was getting soakers off the corner of my house. And nails are real right, yes, yes, yeah, yeah. But what I found that really rode for me was the electrician Riah cuts.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah. They just got a nice good frame edge on you. Yes, and you gets right there and you can get you got a nice they just got a nice handle on it and just pop it out. Okay, it's a really good and but what a let's say, with a bigger nail, like a roofing nail. Yes, you need something like I don't know, like you were saying something to you delivered with like I use I'll use my bloody in my nudge bar. Probably yep, you know, just get on top of it and just deliverage down on it. Then you just grab it like comes straight up.
Speaker 4: The hard thing with leveraging down when you're taking roofing nails out is you don't want to damage the roofing around it. Right, So if you, for example, go in the direction of the sheets and you put your claw hammer underneath it or a pry bar or something like that and pull down, you'll crush the top of the sheet. So that's where when you're talking of yeah, I know, but you know it's the reality is that you don't want to damage the roofing. More so, I to lay a piece of timber, you can use the hammer, the handle of your hammer into the trough and then lever it onto that idea.
Speaker 14: But I'm an electrician. Electric pryors made wire covers. Get a good grip on it. You can get a good grip with those liver slightly sharp and open old pier.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 14: I just trut that because I was cleaning my my dad's, my my my name's and them hitch things right, and they've got a lot of moss on the old So I was thinking, now, what do I use. I've heard a tricky in use pummus, I am see, but then they might be ruining it. So I ranged undertake us of the right thing where they forget yep, yay beautiful. Yeah's left it four months went back?
Speaker 15: What off job.
Speaker 14: Sons, the sundays bounded.
Speaker 4: Beautiful, good on. You know you have a great day and all the best day take care of. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Uh sorry, I'm just there's a great to expeat. I'm an accountant by trade, live in Divnport where I do UH and seen a bit of your work and advice to mates. I think the maintenance funds an excellent idea. Even if it's only halfway to the full cost of the maintenance, it means that you have to find less time. Means you have to find less time. Perhaps, if they had a mortgage, it's better to pay that off. But fundamentally it's a concept oh endorsed by an accountant. I'm happy now I agree. I mean, would you set aside money for maintenance if you still had a mortgage? No, But I guess if you're paying down your mortgage, then you have the potential to extend your mortgage in the event that you need to spend a significant amount of money on a on major repairs to the house which still sticks with my original principle that it's it's access to funds, whether that's in terms of savings or in terms of being able to extend a mortgage if you've paid that down and have increased equity in the property. But I think I reckon you could squeak in with zero point five percent per year, but one percent would be better. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call Tony. A very good morning to you, Tony.
Speaker 16: Hey, Hi, how are you kidding?
Speaker 5: I can go go for it.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 10: I'm talking about this picking off the nails of this iron rope. Yes, there is a tool which is which is about one of the one and a half faits long, and they got a sliding hammer on the bag and the front the people on the front's actually like a parrot pick. The like the clow and age of it. That's a little kind of handle. So what you do is just grip the top of the nails, you hammer it down and then you just peel pull it and then the open it will come straight out. I bought it from Bunis years.
Speaker 4: Ago, yep.
Speaker 10: And you do if you want to stop it from imaging the side of the roof. The liverage. Are you I just put a to buy boar this side and then just pull the thing out. I've thinking about twenty two days twey meters of iron groovings. Yeah, when I was three years ago.
Speaker 4: It's a tool I think typically they painted red, aren't they They're always painted? Read those tools nail pullers. Uh where I showing where they were most useful. And I had a job years ago pulling apart palettes, you know, wooden palets, getting the nails out of wood wooden palets. And they were quite good there because you could put them on you know, the nips, let's say, or the pincer either side of the nail head, bash it down, which bashed down into the timber. Then it would grab the head of the nail and then you could yank it out. But I've never really wanted to use one on roofing iron because of the you know, the potential for damage. But if you did it delicately, it's probably not a bad tool to use. Your news books, they'd be good morning, Welcome along to the program. My name's Pete wolf Camp, the resident builder, and this is the resident builder. On Sunday we can talk about all things building, all things maintenance, all things construction, all things and you know, I kind of just an aside, I guess a comment and off the cuff comment for me has prompted a number of text messages which have been fascinating around Basically, if you're a homeowner, then you've got to somewhere have access to funds to look after the house and what should that be? And I posited that maybe having access to or setting aside one point five percent of the value of your house would give you a pool. And maybe you don't spend it every year, but when you come to those big items, maybe the reroof or the repaint or going through you know, repaying inside of the house, replacing a kitchen for example, these sorts of things you will probably need that fun for I guess where the theory falls down, if I'm critical of my own thinking, is that typically New Zealanders move about every five years, and I wonder whether part of moving is Oh, then I'm not going to have to replace the roof or replace the kitchen. I'm just going to buy another house. Interested in new thoughts, Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call love This text as well. With regard to house maintenance, the cheapest fund we have is sweat equity. Applying it regularly well then hopefully reduce the need for a larger cost at a later date. I'm a seventy three year old female living on my own. It's amazing what you can do for yourself. When I think about a safe way of doing it, I always start Sundays by listening to your program.
Speaker 5: Love it.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much. That's very kind of you. All the very best Christmas for you and your family. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call, taking your calls right through till eight thirty this monk if and then will join us at around eight point thirty this morning. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call, and I mentioned this at the start of the program. Just after six I've got obviously we've got TV on in here. Dignitaries a arriving in Paris for the opening of the reopening of Notre Dame after what's been five years, and you can't really call it restoration. It's been essentially a rebuild of the cathedral, and I have to say I've been absolutely captivated by the videos that I've found online, particularly of you know, the carpenters and the stone masons and the people who do the lead work and that sort of thing, as they've reused old skills and old methodologies to reconstruct the building. Obviously there's some modern stuff in there as well, but you know, the massive oak beams and the bell. Ah, it's just been fantastic. I w eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call Trina A very good morning.
Speaker 17: Good morning, Peter. I'm just inquiring. I needed to sell my house. I want someemer house. It does have a granny flat on the side of it that was built in nineteen ninety one. I do have a limb report for it. It was put in as a game's room to start with. My grandmother lived in there. It was just had a little kitchen net, never had a stove or anything like that. I've got the limb saying that the it's all been approved and that type thing, the drainage approved. But then in the actual report it's got no documents attached for the code of compliance. What's how do I find out more information or I think about that.
Speaker 4: You're in an interesting time as in nineteen ninety one, is essentially was the building completed with a building consent or a building permit? I'm unsure, Okay, That's what it comes down to because essentially when the Building Act changed at around that time, that's when the requirement for a code compliance certificate came in for building consent. So typically before then we talked about building permits. After that we talked about building consents. If a building had a building consent, then along with that came the requirement to get a CCC or a code compliance certificate when the building work was finished and the final inspection being done. So often if you're reading through LIMB reports, for example, from for Council or for Properties, it will say consent issue for example nineteen eighty one, no CCC issue, but also not required, so you would only need to chase a CCC if you actually required one. Now it sounds like if the building was once like a games and then became a habitable space, chances are someone didn't get a building consent for that change of use, in which case, you know, is it deemed to be a non compliant building, okay, and trying to get you know, trying to get it compliant could actually be quite challenging, so you'd need to make an application for a certificate of acceptance to the local council, and the bar for that is quite high now, so it's not terribly dissimilar to actually applying for a building consent. You're going to have to prove that the building is compliant if you want to continue to use it for a habitable space, you might it may well be worthwhile getting you some advice from like a building surveyor for example, or a building official, not necessarily just a builder, because you need the information about the legislation around going. Actually, maybe the best thing to do to just make it tidy in terms of sale is to remove the kitchen and to sell the property with a free standing building on it, which is not a habitable space and therefore might not require a consent.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I think it was actually put in as games room to start with, just on paper, but it was always going to be a livable space, and it's kind of backfired on my father, I suppose, back in those days. So now I'm yes, just all thus just inquiring about the actual toilet if it was legal, things like that, But it was all put in as a games room with toilet, shower and that we think and tub for a washing machine everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and at the time, did that work get a building consent.
Speaker 17: As far as I know everything, I mean, yeah, my dad didn't do anything by hard you know, he wasn't. But obviously one thing he did was just popping into the game's room thinking he'd probably save a little bit on.
Speaker 18: Rightful.
Speaker 17: Yeah, but I've got all the planning for the drains and things like that on my LIMB report, but it's just got the code of compliance, which I haven't got any documents attached for.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was just wanting to know it is very much around the date that the consent was issued, so your homework is basically was under Yeah, if the building permit was issued prior to a certain date, not have to I think it's ninety ninety one. You might find and it might be that the consent was actually, you know, the building might have been built in ninety one, but the concent might have been issued in nineteen ninety for example, in which case you're falling outside of the Act and you don't actually need to provide a CCC for that. Yes, certainly I noticed that, you know the response that I've well a number of people that I've been engaged by or that I've spent some time with recently looking at properties where you know, the lack of a CCC has become a real issue, either with the insurer or with the lender, you know, that sort of thing. And it's I think I think in the past we've probably had an attitude that I will look the building consents the important thing, and I'll you know, I'll get the CCC sometime and then it goes into the top draw and it stays there, and then suddenly people need to get one. And when you do need to get one, it's incredibly difficult nowadays, Okay, which is not helpful to you. You could possibly go back to council phone, through to your local council phone, through the local building help desk if you've got the original consent number on file, just ask them what the issue date was and whether or not that is under the Building Act and would require a code of compliance. All right, ok have a go with that, Okay, good luck with it all, thank you, thank you, my pleasure, all the best. Then, by way, oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number to call let's talk to let's carry on aiden greetings.
Speaker 19: Hello, yay, how are you fake?
Speaker 17: Good?
Speaker 4: Thank you aiding yourself?
Speaker 20: No not he I'm of the show, always listening and hoping one day at our own property and done it. So good Friday, I'm moving into my first so true topics is just want to add on to what you're saying about pretty money away. So we've got to twenty percent deposit and the bank said, I it's an all up to six hundred thousand. But once we country numbers, I said to my partner, we're going to be left with nothing. You know, we'll pay the bills, pay the mortgage, and we have nothing left. We can't we can't just bring the landlord and say hey, fixless anymore. So I said to her, look, if we can find something around a half million marks, yep, that we'll bring our mortgage down in eighty one hundred dollars a week. Yet what we can put away, good, thank you. That's what we've done. And we found one maybe we found a one that being relocated in twenty eleven. They put an HRV system and rewired it. My brother's a Clori, brought us by dragon round about thirty homes and you know that house for me present mate, but he was really impressive this one. So that's just to add one today. I mean it's something that we you know, we knew we needed to do. We don't want to remortgage. Yeah, yeah, so so that was a good plan. But the Christian about building that I have for you, the shorting is arm So it's got a concrete toll ruth and and everyone tells me, oh, they last forever and that, but I was wondering if I should maybe coat it or something just to kick the make it last a bit longer.
Speaker 4: Your thoughts on that, yeah, Look, in general, I would agree with you. So for example, if you're talking about older concrete tile roof, so let's say it went on. I'm thinking about a property that I look after, Right, it's a nineteen sixties brick and tile, so it's got a tile roof. Now, the glaze that's on that tile roof would have deteriorated, right, So we know that masonry is kind of porous, as in, water will soak into it, and so without the glaze or the coating on the top, water when it falls, some of it will run off, most of it will run off, but a certain amount will get absorbed into the concrete tile roof tile, So ideally you want to stop that from happening, whether that's a clear seiler that just allows the water to beaed and run off, or whether you apply a paint surface over the top of it. Yeah. I think if you'd look at the you know, get up there, look really closely at the surface, and if it seems porous, like there's no coating left, I think it's probably a good long term thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I suppose. The other thing if you were thinking, gosh, we're going to be here for a while, is if it got to the point where the roof has you know, worn away, let's say some of that coating is would you look at swapping out for long run.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I've got my long run ticket. So I did work it up with my doing my own labor because because of the slope, it's like the old pizza hut, but bit higher. Oh yeah, so I needed a lot of scaff out each protection and scaff and maybe even a harness. So you know, it's affected that and I worked out to be about ten grand. It's not a big house. It's a ninety sixty relocated Statehouse, but the whole inside has just been redone, so it's painted and carpeted and a new kitchen and you know, showered dome and all that. Yeah, I mean the so would would I treat that?
Speaker 7: First?
Speaker 4: Well, look, I think you know, typically i'd say you'd go to some of the professionals to do it. But if you've got so no, no. But I'm thinking about you thinking, you know, if you were to go up and do a roof treatment, and obviously if you've used to wearing harness and you used to being on roofs and that sort of thing, I'd say to you, why not investigate what type of treatment you need to apply in terms of a moss and mold killer. You'd be probably reasonably you've got the right attitude to be safe on the roof and maybe do some washing down and then you know, if you've used a spray gun, I'm just you know, why not here.
Speaker 20: I'm going to be spraying the house. It's like a really good waver boarding with no groove, so it's quite easy to spray. It's infinitely going to be doing the bottom.
Speaker 4: And it wouldn't be advice that I would give to everyone, but listening to what you know, some of your background and that sort of thing, I think if you were a bit cautious and did some research, I reckon you could do it yourself.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I got my long red ticket as I when they first brought out this protection and the scaffolding and this. I've worked for a reefing company. And the first thing you said to me, he goes, if I'm going to see you to tell these builders the roof is what to do or you need to get your ticket. You sent me away up to the tot on her and I went up there, and you know, I said a pat my top to holler as his expense for her then, you know, and then I ran my own little crew with the roof is protection and scaffolding, et cetera. For all the big companies come out.
Speaker 4: So fantastic, and I just threw it on from there. And congratulations on the on the first home. It's a it's a it's a memorable event in your life and you won't forget it. And congratulations. That's awesome.
Speaker 20: Chs p A all good advice.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that. Cheers, thank you, take.
Speaker 4: Care of by then it is exciting without a doubt getting your own house after years of saving and working hard. And also, you know, and I don't mean to be sanctimonious or anything like that, but isn't it smart when he goes, Yeah, we could borrow more, but our payments will be higher. So we've set ourselves a reasonable limit as to how much we want to spend on a house in it to allow us some flexibility or some breathing space, keep our heads above order in terms of the mortgage and that sort of thing. And that's smart too. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call will come back and talk to Michael in just a moment. I wonder if it's too early to tell. Well, no, there is some evidence that first home buyers are a larger share of the market at the moment as opposed to say, investors and so on, which is a good thing. I mean, I know a number of people who are in the same situation as aiden. You know they're with I guess the current decline in house prices, we're starting to see stabilization, reduction of interest rates. People are in a position where they can get back into the housing market that lockdown affordable two or three years ago ook Utree Plan increasing supply of houses. That's also helped affordability. I mean, if you're a homeowner or an investor, maybe you don't feel too happy about the value of your house going down. But for first time buyers it's been awesome. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Michael A very good warning to you. Oh, Michae, how are you good? Thank you?
Speaker 7: Morning morning.
Speaker 15: I just had a quick question regarding timber frame single glazed windows.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 15: I've got a nineteen sixty house that I've just been doing a little bit too, but the windows have been repainted poorly over top of other paint.
Speaker 11: What's the best way to remove that old paint?
Speaker 4: I would probably use a paint stripper, right because you know you, I suppose you want to let the stripper do the work, right, so and yeah, rather than like you can tungsten it, you could use a heat gun. Heat gun around glass can be a little bit tricky, so if you get too close to the edge, you might end up shattering the glass or cracking the glass. So I think and you might have to sort of hunt around to find a paint stripper that you like. There's a couple of one seat to sky is when I used a few years ago, which was really good and not like you could put your hand in the bucket of it and not have your skin peel off, which is quite handy. So put that on. It'll take a couple of layers of paint off. You may have to do it once or twice. Once you've got down to the point where you don't have to get every single spot of paint off the joinery, but you get it down to a point where you can tell that you know it's only the original primer that's left on, let that dry out, send it back just lightly. I would probably on old joinery, go for an oil bay primer. I always start with an oil based primer, oil based primer, possibly even an oil based undercoat, and then a top coat of you can use now water born enamels for that. They're a little bit harder to lay off, so that's it requires a bit of skill in terms of applying it. Or you could just stick with enamels oil based enamels all the way through, but it'll always be that process. Strip it, sand it, prime it in top coats. There you go. That's your job. Hello, thank you all right, mate, all the very best of you. Take care, Michael all the best, and Stuart a very good morning.
Speaker 7: Oh good morning, fete.
Speaker 4: Hell are you yeah, very well in yourself.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll do that, not to that. My question was that you and christ Church and we had had a rebuild after the earthquake, so your euse is ten years old yep, and that sort of when we built there sort of todld Oh you don't have to worry about maintenance ever.
Speaker 4: Again, who would say that? Who in the would ever say to someone who's a homeowner, even of a low maintenance property, You've got no more maintenance to do. That's just nonsense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so I think it's an urban myth. So I mean, anyway, I was so I was sort of thinking, well, like, well ten years sort of yeah. The house is yeah, still still perfect, I think from what I can see. But what sort of things.
Speaker 4: Should we be Oh look, yeah, I mean look if depending on the extent of the rebuild at the time, you know, after the earthquake, I presume that the roof would have been replaced. It was an older concrete tile roof. They've probably replaced that put long run iron on it.
Speaker 7: It's a brand new, brand new house.
Speaker 4: It's a brand new house. Okay. Look, I think for brand new houses what you want to be doing is you want to wash them every year. That really really helps. Particularly, you know, if it's painted surfaces, then washing it every year makes a massive difference, and it will extend the life of the paint work by I think as much as three to four years. If it is painted and it's a ten year old paint job, chances are it will be getting to that stage where it could do with a repaint. But the beauty of a repaint if the paint works in reasonable condition is your prep time is limited. Right, It's a wash, sand, address some of those little areas, and then simply apply your top coat straight over the top of your existing paint surfaces. If it's brick, for example, on the exterior, then it's just a washdown. That's all you really need to do.
Speaker 7: Washing.
Speaker 4: I mean it'll be aluminium joinery. That should be again washing your aluminium jowinery, stopping all of those salts and things building up on the surface. That's about all you need to do. So a regular house wash You're fine, Yeah, great, And again this is where I guess because I've lived in an old house for so long and there is constant maintenance to do. That This idea of setting aside maybe one percent of the zero point five percent of the value of the house for these maintenance projects may not apply to a new build. But you know, after what you might find is that in another five or seven eight years, the kitchen starts to look a bit you know, worn, right, So do you do you put aside some money to go? Actually, you know what, I'm happy dropping thirty k on a new kitchen because the old one the surfaces are gone, or the doors of getting some scratches in them or something like that. But then at least you've got money for it. You know, bathrooms will last. If bathroom's well done, you might get twenty years out of a bathroom. Yeah, maybe even longer, but you'll get a reasonable amount. Yeah, good on you.
Speaker 7: I think it's going to.
Speaker 4: Keep it. Yeah, keep it in good condition, you'll be fine. Check the gutters, you know, make sure that that all works. You know, garden beds. Don't let them build up too much against the clouding of the house. Those sorts of things. It's just a walk around and a check and a bit of time on a Saturday afternoon. You'll be fine. All the very best, Take care, Stuart, thank you very much for your call. It is seven thirty two here at News talksp we'll come back and talk to Jason in a moment. If you want to make a comment about house maintenance and sort of what sorts of funds you need to set aside of be interested in that on the text nine two nine two, and if i'll do my confession after the break as well back in a moment. I'm not really sure why I feel that I need to get this off my chest, but I feel that I need to be honest and open and go. For many many years, I've been quite dismissive of a tradees that I've seen who use track saws right, And I guess I'm a little bit old school and I've just gone, you know, look, if you need to make a long ripping cut with a circulus or why wouldn't you just grab like we've always done, a level or a straight edge, clamp it down, run the guide along, bingo, these are tracks, or I don't need to go and get you know, two bits of aluminium and screw them together and go and get a track saw, which seemed very expensive and all the rest of it. For this anyway, my attitude has changed a little bit because the guys at rob dropped one off to me earlier in the year, and like I say, I've been dismissive of trades people. I've sort of been, oh, come on, you know, like it's not that hard to cut a straight line. Why would you bother the tracks or and I have to hang my head and go. Actually they have. It has proven to be a remarkably useful tool. So I'm using this little it's a cordless one as well, which is huge advantage obviously. And what did I make? Oh, last week I made this giant hat, for example, for the stage production of Allison, a Wonderland Musical, which was on at the Arte. And so you know, I had a whole lot of cutting of plywood. And typically I would either get a straight edge out with a skill saw and run along the edge, which means figuring out the offset and then having to clamp it down, et cetera, et cetera. Or I would set up the table saw and I would run stuff through the table saw, which in a small workshop means that I'd added much space. Anyway, the track saw has been incredibly useful, So I take back all of those unkind things that I thought of trades people who used to use track saws back in the day, who were early adopters and go actually proven to be an incredibly useful tool. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. And hey, look Christmas is coming up. If you're thinking gift, give tools. Hard to go wrong with tools. I think oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call Jason A very good morning to you.
Speaker 7: Hey, you just.
Speaker 6: Morning to you.
Speaker 19: I've just got a little question. I've been going through some issues and I have accidentally put my hand through.
Speaker 9: The wall.
Speaker 19: And I've heard about people that that can put a piece of cardboard into the hole and pull it through and get some h what do you call it, some classter that can cover the whole? Is that true or door?
Speaker 20: Is that?
Speaker 19: I need to look into that a bit more deeper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I think what you'll end up with is one of those repairs that stands out from a million miles away, right, So you know, it's a it's a time consuming way of doing it. It'll look as rough as all get out.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you've got a hole in plasterboard, typically you you square up the hole, get another piece of plaster board or a block of timber and back block it so you fix that in behind it. Then find a piece of plasterboard, put that in tape the joins, stop the joins, and so on. So there's a right way of doing repairs. And plasterboard using a bit of plaster and a bit of cardboard is not one of them. With respect. Oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call and Mary, Hello, how are you?
Speaker 21: I'm good, thank you?
Speaker 4: And JP, I'm very well, thank you. How can I.
Speaker 21: Just in touch with an insurance company? There's several flats of us together, all in a group, and they suggested that we might need to up our insurance cover because I know building costs, rebuild costs, and that have increased tremendously over the years. They do an online calculator, but they've also suggested that I might approach somebody to get someone to come.
Speaker 4: Around and do an actual valuation.
Speaker 21: Actually valuation. But I haven't got a clue who I would approach or anything at all. Sure what it's likely the cost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there is a fee for that type of thing. Actually, there's a guy that we've had on this program, Andy Thompson, who I think it's principle of a firm called Construction Cost Consultants, and this is essentially their area of expertise. So and in fact, there and I'm not miss one of the things they say is that if we give you a price to rebuild your building for insurance purposes, we will actually guarantee that you can build it for that price, or they used to say that anyway. But so I think because the online calculators. It's interesting because I've used the online calculators sometimes and then I've had people that I know use the same calculator for the same property and we've come up with quite different numbers, right, because the online calculator that all of the insurance companies typically tend to use, it depends. It's that classic sort of you know, information and information out right, if the quality of the information you're putting in your level of knowledge about the property. Yeah, that's right. So they're a useful guide because I think insurance companies are quite correct and saying most of us would be woefully underinsured when it comes to our properties, where we think it's always going to be cheaper than it is, and I think sometimes we overestimate the additional cost of having more cover, you know what I mean that adding an extra and I'm not saying this on behalf of the insurance companies. I'm just saying that from my own experience and from people that I've talked to in this area, that you know, adding let's say a hundred even one hundred thousand dollars worth of extra cover to your house insurance might increase your premiums by a small amount, but it's relatively small by comparison to being under insured. So yeah, there will be I mean, you could get a valuer to do the sort of work, or you could go, like I say, to someone like construction cost consultants, so you'll find them online.
Speaker 21: Okay, Yeah, Because I remember when the first book Tip brought out the calculators and that everybody goes off and does this and I think, well, I can't ford to ensure it anyway because it's such a ridiculous figure.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I guess the challenge too is, you know, in these situations and it's more common nowadays, let's say where we're in you know, multi unit developments. So if you know, it's quite simple sometimes if we're ensuring you know, my house sits in the middle of my piece of land, all right, if something happens, it's only going to most likely affect me. But if you happen to be in a row of four townhouses, for example, and your number two, Yeah, you want to be confident that if something happened to started in your house, god forbid, like a fire, and it spread, would your neighbors then be covered? If if the damage spread, or if something happened in your neighbors started there, would you be confident that your insurance will cover damage that didn't originate in your property.
Speaker 21: Yeah? Yeah, I don't suppose you done an idea of wise, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean a phone call or an email will give you an idea. And I'm sure there are others out there who would you be able to offer a similar service. Again, the reason I'm being a little bit cautious about this is I had a phone call from someone the other day who said, look, we're about to sell our house. We've had a pre purchase or a pre purchase inspection has been done by one of the interested parties, and it's picked up an issue with the drainage, saying that the stack is rusty and that the pre purchase inspector felt that it was, you know, that the needed repair, and that he estimated that the cost of the repair would be anywhere from one thousand dollars to fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 21: Okay, like gold plated.
Speaker 4: Well not just that, but that's an awfully wide range, isn't it. You know, so that's that's not terribly helpful for a purchaser, and it's certainly you know, for the person selling the house who rang me and just went crikey, I've just been told that, you know, these people think that it's going to cost fifty thousand dollars to repair my cast iron toilet stack. I'm like, anyway, it turned out not to be that at all. The reason I mentioned that story is that, you know, when we're talking about building repairs, these things are rather flexible and fluid. Unfortunately, yes, it's hard to feel, and.
Speaker 21: You've got a factor in if it's rebuilding everything, getting all the materials taken away, that's the thing, and that's if it's an older place.
Speaker 4: That's where the online that's where the online calculators can be quite useful because it prompts you to think about things like, what's the demolition cost, what's the you know, are there retaining walls, what's the consent costs, what's it going to cost to get an architect or an architectural designer to do, you know, because all of those things if in the unlikely event that it's a complete rebuild, these are major costs, right, yeah, yeah, good luck with that, you know, have a look online. There will be people just just when when you're engaging someone like that, just have a look at their experience and qualifications.
Speaker 21: Yeah, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Nice of you to call all the very best to you. Take care, Marriy. Your news talk b coming up to seven forty seven. I love those planes, the old seven forty sevens. Anyway, it is almost seven forty seven. Will come back. We have a quick chat with Mike Colds from Razine Construction after the break, if you'd like to join us as well. We'll still got time for a couple of calls before we head to the news at eight o'clock, oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call write your own news talks, but it is seven fifty and regular regular contributor, contributor expert on the show, Mike Holds, good morning to you, sir.
Speaker 5: Your morning plate. How are we?
Speaker 4: Yeah, not bad, not bad? And I had some time to kill the other day I went for a wander and saw some new builds going up with well ac panel so Integra panel on the outside. It was great. They'd done a good job. Actually I would have rung you if I didn't think they.
Speaker 5: Did, but they did. Yeah, it's a yeah interesting that their Integra Lightweight concrete is has gone and leads some pounds over the years. And I think the versatility of the products in terms of the benefits you're going to achieve out of it, got got some some something or performance also, but the big ones around impact, yes, acoustic performance and really important. What we discussed a few months back was around the intertendency for fire performance. But it basically looking it's noncombustible and then it's versatiley in terms of the troning systems and the finishers. It's just really second to none at the moment out of the market. People already starting to appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because the building that I was looking at it it was sort of, you know, a ninety percent complete, so I could see that they viewed Integra on the exterior. But it was also one of those classic multi unit developments, so I assume that they probably used Integra as their intertenancy system. And intertendancy we're talking about protection from sound and more importantly from fire between units.
Speaker 5: Correct, Yeah, and that particularly, like I said, with many density, it's really really important. I mean some of the stuff that you hear and globally just terms of concerns with a battery issues and stuff like that, vehicles and whatnot. Then this is another another surely method that you can have and it's a very very high performance system and that the minimum standard that we meet is to our fire rating, right, So and that's something that you're catching the achieved without doing something okay using.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's fantastic stuff, all right, Hey, wishing you and all of the team it RESIM construction systems all the very best. It's been a tough old year for most people in the building sector, so I think a Christmas break is well deserved, So to you and all of the team. All the very best for Christmas and New Year, hopefully a little bit bigger and brighter for all of us.
Speaker 5: Likewise, the upte and thank you all this is out there for the show and some questions that not. So thank you very much, mate, it's been a pleasure.
Speaker 4: I hope to catch up with you soon. Thank you. Take care.
Speaker 7: Mike.
Speaker 4: So, Mike Old's from Razine Construction Systems. He'll be back as an experting end next year on the program as well, because we, I mean, you're fast approaching that time, isn't it. Two more shows before Christmas, one show between Christmas and New Year, and then we're into it. I'll continue to do the show over the Christmas break. I figured that Christmas break is when a lot of us will be, you know, working on the house, whether it's a bit of touch up painting, whether it's some work in the garden, whether it's some planter beds or some retaining walls or extending the deck or made of mine who's undertaking a big renovation. While the builders are taking a break, he's going to carry on doing some work that's within sort of his scope, let's say, within the building project as well. So undoubtedly over the Christmas break, the happy sound of hammers and skill saws will continue around the countryside, sort of like the Dawn Chorus, but of a mechchanical variety. I wait, one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call A very quick call from you, Derek. I think we should be able to knock this out before the news.
Speaker 7: Hello Derek, Hello, how are you today?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 7: Thank you good.
Speaker 13: I've got about forty square meters of five or cement board on a single story building to repaint, and I was wondering what's the best method or product to wash it down prior to painting.
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 4: Sure, well, for example, razine to a proprietary house wash or house prep solution. So put that on, you know, apply it, agitate lightly, rinse off. That's enough on the existing fiber cement board. Is the paint system that's already on their reasonably good condition.
Speaker 13: Yes, it's just the screw holes really that have got to be sanded back a little bit. They've gone a bit proud in places, yep.
Speaker 4: So I'd probably use a pigmented sealer on that. Pigmented seala is really good on fiber cement. And then once you've dealt with those little maintenance things. Then it's just a top coat with what you know, you could go to X two hundred on something like that. That's typically a razine coating designed for renders and for masonry products, and fiber cement board is essentially a masonry product. Or because it's already been coated, you know, any exterior paint, sonics or lumbersider will be absolutely fine.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Sure, there's one or two cracks which are previously done with an AC tube sealing. Yep, I think that's stable. Any advice on.
Speaker 4: Those, I think again, if there let's say, you know, one to two millimeters something like X two hundred, then would actually just fill those and bond over the surface and give you some flexibility. Otherwise, do exactly what you have been doing, which is apply you know, neat bead of sealant, try and remove all of the excess just doesn't stand out too much on the surface, and then apply a top coat over there. I'm sure it'll be fine. All the very best you, Derek. Thanks for the call back. After News, Sport and Weather Top of the Hour at eight o'clock. I'm just looking at some texts that came in during the break. This is great. Actually, we've got a couple of fantastic ones. A lot of texts have come in. Just good morning, by the way, Pete wolf Camp here. This is new Stalk ceedb's resident builder. On Sunday, we'll talk building through to late thirty. Then we'll jump into the garden with add kline pasted. I might take a brief moment. I am conscious of taking time to chat with Rod on air about things that I might be doing. But him and I have had a long running discussion debate in a touch of disagreement around my composting methodology. So I have I'm in an urban environment. I don't want a great big compost stack and all the rest of it. So I have opted for the tumbler system. Which there's two things that I'm incredibly proud about. One is that it's still got the label on it from the person who bought it. I got it second hand, right off trade me and I bought just the tumbler because it was cheap. It was about ten bucks. Because on the label when you buy these things complete and as a kit with the legs and all the rest of it, they're two hundred and ninety nine dollars. So every time I tumble it and I see that label on it that says two hundred and ninety nine dollars, and I pay ten bucks for it, I think I feel just that brings me such delight, almost as much delight as the beautiful compost that came out of it yesterday. Fantastic tipped it out yesterday fossk through pulled out a few bigger bits of branch that hadn't quite composted down, added a couple of buckets of leaves from the garden that I'd collected a month or to ago, ready from the next cycle of compost. I also spent a happy hour or so rebuilding the frame that had started to rot, and added some sleds and some bracing and that sort of thing. Anyway, I'm very happy with my compostpen. A ten dollar compostpen. That's the best. But oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, we'll talk about that with rud. He has to be fair being dismissive of my composting efforts in the past. Well, that's all right, Well we get along, okay, Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. If you've got some building questions, quick text as well what to remove spilt a crylic paint off a concrete path? Thank you from Stephen, I'll tell you what. Last week on the show, Bryce McDermott, our Rasine Painting Expert talked about a product called what do they call it? Liquid paint Remover. So it's designed specifically for removing crylics, in particular from surfaces. It helps just dissolve it or loosen it up so that you can peel it off. So that'd be the go I'd head down to Razine Color Shop and ask for some of that. It's like a little spray bottle of product that will allow you to remove hopefully that which would be great.
Speaker 1: Um.
Speaker 4: Someone will also pointed out we were talking about painting windows old windows for example, Pete, your advice rey, painting old windows with today's oil primers are not compatible with some old or with the old native timbers. Ross I agree only in part with you. So oil based primers on Matti for example, and sometimes on Totra won't it here or they won't it here well, and which case water born primers are better for those. But the reason I mentioned oil based primers to the caller is that it was a nineteen sixties house, so it'll either be cedar or pine and oil based on either of those two will be absolutely fine. But I do appreciate your text on that one. Other people saying, Yep, if you're a bit old fashioned when it comes to painting, you kind of go back to your oil based primers. I think, particularly on joinery saying that, I mean I used waterborne primers today or last week on another project. Absolutely fine, but on old joinery, I kind of still like it to be fair.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: Oh, we're into it. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you've got a building question. John, Good morning, Good morning, teak you. John.
Speaker 15: I live in Northland in a steel framed brick house built about twenty seventeen. I'm having trouble with radio reception. I've tried various enter and I the normal sort of things that you plug into your receiver, and but even with portable radios around the house, getting clear radio reception is a problem. And I just wondered if you'd ever come across anything similar in steel frame houses. I thought it maybe some sort of field but blocks radio reception. I don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree. But I just wanted to do in your experience if you'd had any in.
Speaker 4: Terms of steel frame and radio reception. No, I mean, look, while it's not uncommon, there's also not a vast number of houses that are actually still framed. It's out there and it's becoming more common. So you know, there are I know there can be.
Speaker 7: There are.
Speaker 4: You have to be able to address other issues around moisture and those sorts of things were still framing. But in terms of radio reception, it's not something that I've ever encountered or thought about. So no, it's outside of my experience, despite the fact that here I am on the radio hoping to communicate with you, and on behalf of all of my radio colleagues, hoping that steel frame houses don't prevent radio waves from entering.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I listened to you on iHeart Radio because we can. Then we can only get you on AM, which is.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think we're on FM yet. I know that elsewhere in the country we've recently swapped or or added FM to coverage for a particular area, So maybe that'll happen and maybe that'll help it. Certainly AM, Yeah, I mean it's always been.
Speaker 15: A bit of a struggle.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, not something that I've heard of. Thanks a lot, Oka, you have a great day. All the very best to you.
Speaker 13: John.
Speaker 4: We'll talk to Tyson straight after the break. If you've got a building question, now's the time to call eight hundred eighty ten eighty. You and your still said be we're taking your calls. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Hello, Tyson?
Speaker 5: Are you yeah?
Speaker 19: Good?
Speaker 13: Thanks?
Speaker 20: Pete.
Speaker 18: How are you doing mate?
Speaker 4: You're not dead? Not dead?
Speaker 7: How can I help?
Speaker 20: Quick question?
Speaker 18: So my son about a year ago got candle wax on the wall and I've been looking at it for a year. Yep, you haven't found anything online and you know first hand, and my building sales are not too.
Speaker 7: Well, so I don't really want to rip the jib off.
Speaker 20: So they cuts some kind of old secret to that one, peepe.
Speaker 4: How about some brown paper and an iron. So what you do is you put the brown paper over the top of the wax and then use an iron like a clothes iron to heat it up, and it draws the wax into the paper, and then keep shifting the paper every time it saturates. Just move it over and that should draw out most of the wax from the surface.
Speaker 5: That is just like Butcher's paper.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that is brilliant because I know it probably won't be perfect, but at least it looks like I've made an effort.
Speaker 18: One past one and then elevator, leaving.
Speaker 5: Somebody the problem.
Speaker 4: Yes, I understand. Give that a go, give there to go. Thank you so very much, my pleasure, all the very besty Tyson, you take care see them, and Martha, A very good morning to you.
Speaker 12: Good morning to you, Peter am. I hope min is just as easy as the last.
Speaker 4: I only get one easy one a week and that's now been used up.
Speaker 12: So Peter, I've had an old vanity replaced in my house. Yes, and that was back in ninety and twenty twenty two yep. And and I had family living there at the time. And when it was replaced, the plumbing company that replaced it had left some holes underneath. You know, the vanity sets up off the floor.
Speaker 5: Yes, and the holes was.
Speaker 12: Into the back and into the side where it goes into where the bars is yep, if you get what I mean. And and I thought that's a lot of that's a lot of steam all, you know.
Speaker 4: The moisture getting into the into the wall itself.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So I when the when I got some new people into the house, they pointed it out to me and I wasn't aware of it. So I ranged the company and spoke with the boss man and he said, oh, because I emailed him some some images of what I what I was ringing about, and he said he hadn't had a chance to look at it yet. So what I'm really asking you is, would I have it was installed back in nineteen in twenty twenty two, so would I have a chance of getting them to remedy the problem?
Speaker 4: Probably not to be blunt, and I think what it'll be is that, you know, if the request was to get a plumber to come and take a vanity out and replace it, that's what they've done because their job description wasn't to remediate any penetrations or old pipework and that sort of thing. And that's often that you know, this is where sometimes we have to have overlapping trades. So for example, if you had have asked a builder to do the job, and I'm this isn't isn't a criticism, but you know, then the builder might come in, remove the old vanity, get the plumber in to redo the pipework. Either the plumber will fit the vanity or the builder will fit it, and then the plumber will come and pipe it out or fit you know, fit it off. And then while the builders there, you know, taking the old one out, they'll cut out a section of plasterboard, patch it and have that stopped and painted for example. So I think this situation is more that the plumber has done what you've asked them to do, which is to replace the vanity. It's not their job necessarily to patch up you know, holes and plaster board. And that's that's what I think the issue is. Yeah, So I think now you either get a builder. You might find like a stopper, a fixer stopper who will come do the plaster board repair, you know, put in a patch, give it a coat of stopping, and then it's ready for painting.
Speaker 15: But it's right underneath, you know, I know, it's much.
Speaker 4: Easier to do it without the vanity on top of you, you know it. Look, the other thing might be is just to have a panel cut that's the width of the vanity that goes from the underside of the vanity, maybe to the top of the skirting board or to the floor, and just fix that in place and then it's all gone. And you know I I did it the other day in a project where a toilet roll holder next to the toilet, obviously in a small bathroom, had pulled out of the wall because they'd used anchors into the wall rather than fixing through the wall into it, through the plass board into a noog right classic with toilet rolls, And I thought, what do I do? Do I try and repair the hole and all the rest of it. It's quite a lot of work. It's multiple visits to the job, etc. So in the end, what I ended up doing is I figured out where the studs were nearby. I cut a panel. It made a panel out of timber, painted it, screwed that to the wall, and then screwed the hand the toilet roll holder back into it. You know, I'm thinking along a similar line, you just make a panel that covers all of that underneath might be a best option. Okay, but no, I don't think going back to the plumber is going to give you any redress at this stage. Good luck with that Martha. Now someone has text through as well. Removed candle wax. T Tree oil stuff is magic, apparently, according to Dehlia Ta Tree Oil. I've heard that before as well, actually for all sorts of cleaning solutions. T Tree Oil. Thank you very much for that. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call. Oh another quick text Andrew, you've text through. I have had a metallic object fall onto a form like a bench, leaving a small bent dent. How do you fill or repair the bench? I wouldn't do it myself. I would probably get someone like bench doctors to come through and do it. If it was a crylic there's a guy who does fixes on a crylic fix but bench doctors are around the country. They'll come and repair it. Had a similar thing I'd put in a new kitchen for a client. I was, I don't know, working on the range or or something like that. Chisel dropped out of my apron thump, straight down onto the format bench. And this was a number of years ago. The people came and they repaired it. You can't tell, thankfully where i'd been a muppet and Admture's well, why would you wear your apron while you're working above a bench. That is a question I asked myself often in the years that have passed. Oh, eight hundred and eighty, ten eighty the number to call Wayne. Good morning, Pete, and I have.
Speaker 11: To say, O, brilliant, enjoy your show.
Speaker 9: It's Sunday morning.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Going to question.
Speaker 11: I think pretty simple, and the first is removing oil from a concrete garage floor. Yep, our son very kindly put his old car in our garage went off to Australia. Now that I've moved, it's oil all over floor.
Speaker 4: Did you move it or did you sell it?
Speaker 19: Garrets fair enough?
Speaker 11: And then I told it and renovation.
Speaker 4: Good oil eater CRC. Oil eater comes from an aerosol can and we had some visitors a little while ago who also had an older car that leaked oil on the driveway and I that got rid of it. Oil eater, thank you.
Speaker 11: Second quick question, which is a bit more challenging. We have two outdoor concrete fiberglass tables. There's sort of cream toilet. Yep, you're about fifteen years old and it become patient. What we didn't do from the outset was to steal them and that was stupid in hindsight. But what I need to do and it back because there is the color through the concrete.
Speaker 4: Ah yeah, but what do I steal it with?
Speaker 11: And I'm really struggling to find products and when I ask at Bunnings and my really, I'm really struggling to find helpful advice.
Speaker 4: Yeah. When you say concrete, is it that lightweight concrete or is it ye ah?
Speaker 11: Okay, it's a fiberglass concrete mass and lighten up that two people could pick up the tabletop.
Speaker 4: And move as opposed to my concrete table that weighs two hundred and twenty kilos exactly. Yeah. Okay, Oh, because you don't really want to paint it, do you, because then you'll.
Speaker 11: End up with no, No, I don't don't want to paint it. I really just want to steal it because I'm pretty certain that the concrete fiberglass pinting, the tinting that's been added is through the concrete fiberglass.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm with you. So essentially a clean and then a clear sealer to go over the top.
Speaker 19: Yes.
Speaker 4: If you have a look on the website for Premiere Group, they supply a lot of products for masonry sealers right right, so you can find them if you can go to get new Look dot co dot com. So get new Look dot com which will link you through to them. Jason's got a whole lot of other sealers and concrete type products on his website. But Premier Group also have sealers that you can buy. And I wonder whether getting you know, if you can get a test pot or something like that, try it in a in a or in a discreet area of the table, have a little go, make sure it doesn't discolor, and then a thorough wash and a concrete ceiler might be.
Speaker 5: The way to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all the very best, have a good day, take care away. Bye bye, and last building caller before we jump into the garden with the red climb past mark. Good morning to you, Good morning, how it's good, thank you.
Speaker 16: So I recently moved into a new built townhouse. I'm the first owner, and I've been trying to warm on a few beans and then between the walls and the garage. If I tried to and swore a bike ranking yep. Now the at the screws that the bike rack came with were a little bit too long, so I ended up going off the butt into getting in the wall because I couldn't go in more than I think it was only about twitting milk birdie belts basically, and so I thought, okay, because it's a shed wall of maybe that was what on it comes sort of fire protection in between the walls in the living room. There's a wall internal wall between the living room and the bathroom, and I'm trying to warmount the TV there. Unfortunately, I'm coming across the same fissure, what a similar issue, and that I'm struggling to get my drill at them more than about thirty warty mills and this throws The anchors that I have with the wall mount are probably fifty to sixty meals long. I've done a measurement between the corner of the wall and internally we live in the bathroom from the door engine then too the collar on the door. They and I know that there's three hundred mills like a wall. There's two hundred and three hundreds of wall there. So I don't know why I found the stud using a snokepiner, and I don't know why I'm not going in with the drill, and I'm wondering if it's me with my drilling technique, right, or if it's something more, something more than that. Now I've drilled six holes and three different locations.
Speaker 15: It's a two different studs and had the same results.
Speaker 3: Results.
Speaker 16: I'm wondering if something with the wall.
Speaker 4: Do you know, I'm just trying to think, so, you know, I presume that the building is sort of conventional in the sense that it's timber frame, plaster board lining on it, that sort of thing. It's it's not.
Speaker 16: I don't know if it is. If it is timber framing, I'm wondering if it isn't, and I don't know how to tell that.
Speaker 4: And if if you identify with the stutters and you drew drilled through the plaster board, you'll either have metal swarf coming out or basically dust right or you know, timber, so that that should give you an indication there. I mean, if it's timber framing.
Speaker 5: I.
Speaker 4: You should be able to drill well. Most timber framing is ninety millimeters right, so there's plenty of purchase. You do have to because you don't know what's in the walls.
Speaker 13: You do.
Speaker 4: I always advise a little bit of caution in terms of how big a screw you fit through. So if for example, the living room backs onto the bathroom, there could be pipework there. Ideally that pipework should be in the center of the studs. So if you've got a twenty five mile hole in the center of the stud you've got about sixty five millimeters of timber either side. So don't put a screw in that goes more than about twenty five thirty millimeters in And for a TV mounting that'll be absolutely fine. But yeah, I know if it's timber and where you try it, like when you try and screw into it, do you find that the screw is getting purchase in the framing?
Speaker 16: Oh, you know, it's definitely got purchase in a couple of others in the holes that I have put the screw in.
Speaker 15: So yeah, it just it just wash.
Speaker 16: How it got to a point where it would you ever stopped and I couldn't go any further like you using Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: You know I took it out obviously, and I use a shorter screw. Yeah, I'm going to have to, I think you Yeah, yeah, I think so. I think that's what it might come down to. And depending on whether or not you're using an impact driver to put the screw in, whether you're doing it by hand and running out of puff, that could be part of it as well. But always be a little bit cautious about fixing big screws through to timber framing on a wall that you don't know what's on the inside, because yeah, been there, done that. Good luck to you, Mark all the very best on that actually helpful tip, use a strong magnet to see if it's still framing. Thanks to you, much appreciated. And just the last one on the oil on the concrete, nappy sand. Someone suggesting nappy sand let the elements do their work. Not a bad idea. If it's a party wallet could be one ninety block with forty mili termber strapping. Yes, that's possible to be fair as an intertendancy solution. That's less common these days. But yeah, if it had strapping onto it. But then if you drilled through, you'd find you'd hit the masonry right, if you drilled in, you'd tell the end of your drill bit was being blunted by the masonry. Eventually, Well, if you knew what you're looking for, Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. If you'd like to talk to rut, he's going to join us after the break for more.
Speaker 1: From the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp. Listen live to news talks that'd be on Sunday Mornings from Sex, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.