Speaker 1: Welcome to Football Fever. Hello there, Welcome to the start of a new week. Welcome into the start of May. Welcome to a fresh episode of the Football Fever podcast. I'm Jason Pine with Bonnie Jensen alongside the A League men's regular season is done, All done, Bonnie, How was your weekend?
Speaker 2: Oh? Not too bad, Piney, I guess the results weren't great in terms of A league kiwimen's football, but just really looking forward to to finals footy in the next month, which will hopefully be a big one for Auckland FC.
Speaker 1: Indeed, the top six are confirmed, we'll get into the elimination finals and what might lie ahead for Auckland FC shortly. But let's have a look at how they went over the weekend. As you say, the results certainly went against the grain as far as Auckland f C are concerned. Saturday night Western United four, Auckland f C two and Western United were three MILLI hit at one stage. Third loss of the season for Auckland FC. There's second to Western United, so I think we've got a bit of a bogie team in our midstier. Auckland f C's unbeaten street stops at fourteen matches. Look, a lot of people have said to me, hey, is this just they knew that won? The Premiers played that a few days, enjoying that, celebrating that this didn't really matter. You write it off? Is that the way you look at it?
Speaker 2: I think so, especially when you go from a sold out go Media stadium and playing in front of so many fans here in Auckland and games prior to that that had been so important to then going over to Western United, who would have had well five six thousand people in the crowd of that and probably yeah, just a bit of a write off game. I think what was disappointing for me, well, I didn't watch the game in full because I have to admit I was out at a party. I feel like some of the attitude, you know that the heads were down, the attitude maybe a little bit too arrogant. However, yes, we're going to look at it. You know, they needed to lose at some point, they needed to break that losing streak, and good they do it now and not in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't think it really has a terminal effect on them. I guess that remains to be seen. But when they've been so successful and when there was nothing on this game as far as table position was concerned. The only thing you would say is that if you believe in momentum, and some people do and some people don't. But if you believe in momentum, then the momentum of fourteen unbeaten matches has been broken. But I don't think that necessarily means, does it that you just don't come out the other side and start a different kind of momentum going into the finals.
Speaker 2: What I do wonder is why Kraka stuck with his same kind of starting eleven he's played with for the last few weeks. I know we spoke about it last week that you know, there's too long of a gap to be resting players because they do have the buy next week and they want to build that momentum, as you say, Poney, But I do wonder if maybe giving some of those younger players a start, they might have seen a different attitude to a bit of a fight from the team with a point to prove. You know, the likes of Liam Gilliam wasn't in the squad again, Jesse Randall came off the bench. But I just wonder if some new faces maybe would have given them that boost. I mean, luckily there were no injuries that I know of yet, but yeah, that was interesting to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had a couple of options, didn't he, Steve Corriker. He could do what he did and go with the same team and continue to build what he hoped would be momentum. Or as you say, he could have freshened things up. They could have given guys, you know, a bit of a break, even a guy like Philippe Guygos, you know, who didn't play last week because of the injury he picked up against Melbourne victory. He could have easily said to Philipe guy Goss, look, take another week off. He's not going to be set back at this stage of the season. He's got his base fitness, he's not going to be set back. And as it was, he came off at halftime anyway, So yeah, look, he could have given guys who actually came off the bench a start. He could have started Moreno, he could have started Randall as you say, he could have brought in guys who hardly have any hardly had any football at all in and there wouldn't have been any downside. I don't think to that. It wasn't as though it was a must win game. So but Steve Corek has obviously decided, look, this is the way I'm going to do it. He lives and dies by his decisions, you know so, and I guess if you flip it, these players now have a bit of a bit of a point to prove next time they go out, which will be an away semi final in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: I would have liked to have seen Michael Vowed at least get some minutes there. I feel like he was a little bit probably ripped off at the start of the season signing thinking he was going to be the number one. Obviously Alex Paulson took that and rightly so, but it would have been good to see him get a run because I doubt they'll try him in the playoffs, unless, of course, there is an injury to Pulse in touch would but Piney, do you think that is they're starting eleven?
Speaker 1: It's a good question. I think it depends on who they play. I think if they play Melbourne victory in the semi finals, he might do what he did in the game over there only two or three weeks ago, and they when they played the back five when they brought Callon Elliot in they had Sarki, Pinicker, Hall, Devrees and Elliott. I wonder if they play Melbourne Victory, it might be one of those horses for courses things where they know that worked against Victory last time. Other than that, the only thing I'd say would be would be you know, are they all in on Marley Francois. It feels as though Steve Corrikett is pretty much all in on him. He's started five of the last six games. Now I wonder whether it's perhaps you know, a Moreno rather than a Francois that you might see the mata my thing. I think he again is all in on that. He's not going to drop the strata. The back five are pretty set. What would you be doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I probably would start Medano. Like looking at that goal he's scored on the weekend for Auckland FC, like another absolute banger. And yes he was he was out injured, but yeah he's he's such a goal scorer and well, yes you could look at it and bring him off the bench and have have that super sub there like he again proved at the weekend. You want to start your best, your best to live in, no matter what position they play. I am in my opinion, So yeah, I feel like Marley Frants. I've said it, I've said it before, I'll say it again. He hasn't done enough for me to deserve that starting spot.
Speaker 1: I think if you take all position out of it, the strongest eleven is Paulson, Sychai, Pinecker, Hall Devrees, the Strata, Guy Goss, Moreno, Rogerson Marta. My now, that's tough on Jake Brummer, who I think is just on the fringes there of that, maybe he and Guy Goss, maybe a Cam Howison. But that's the way for me.
Speaker 2: It's for me it's Brimmer instead of Max Mutter. And is that link between the front three and the midfield.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, that's another way. Yep, another way could do it. No, And it wasn't that long ago that he did that Max Marter didn't play. Was that that was the game against Victory. Actually when when Max Marter didn't play, he might have been carrying an injury. But as you say, Brimmer played that day and Guy Goss as well as the back five, So he's got a few little little tweaks. I think you can probably write down eight or nine of the players who will start, and then it's what you do around that, plus what you do with your bench. So yeah, I guess they can't really specifically plan until they know who they're playing, and that won't be until after after Saturday night. Just on Western United, Auckland FC cannot meet Western United again unless it is than the Grand Final. I just wonder in a Grand final, which if it is Auckland f C, Western United would be in Auckland, whether Western United would just come and completely without fear having beaten Auckland four to two on the weekend, having beaten them four nil in Auckland in round nine. Are they a bogie team? Are they the team that you are worried most about if you're Auckland FC.
Speaker 2: No, I am not. I don't fear Western United. I think looking actually at the five teams under Auckland FC, they would bet the team I'd want to meet the most. Really, yeah, I feel Adelaide United are arguably more of a bogie team. Piney because of those two incredible draws we had against the side that Adelaide United seemed to stand up against Auckland f C and then Melbourne victory. I've said it before, so good in the final series always got PTSD from the match against the Phoenix. Last season, Western Sidney a on a roll and Melbourne City a Melbourne City. So yeah, I feel like Western United the team I'd want to play the most.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, that's an interesting way of looking at it, especially given the results. But you're so right Adelaide United, where they fell off a cliff, didn't they We've talked, they did about this after that four all draw, and again, at the risk of repeating ourselves, we both said that could be a Grand final Adelaide United. You know, Auckland FC could be a Grand Final. It's not going to be. There's no way it can be. Because if Adelaide United were to beat Western United on Friday night as the lowest qualifier, they would face Auckland FC in the Semis. But I think, you know, everyone expected Sydney FC to get the points, the point in fact they needed in the last two games to sneak into the top six didn't happen, so Adelaide un noted. I mean, they were probably planning mad Monday today, you know. Instead, instead they're starting a week with a knockout game at the end of it, and you know what, they could go to Western United and win that game Adelaide.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I'm thinking, Pointe, And I think I said it after that that Fairest Wheel game where they had the Fairest Wheel and they had that four all draw that I can already picture it. Now. We go away to Adelaide in the first round of the semi finals, and then they come back and both games are deadlock, so we have to go to a penalty shootout. I can already see it now. So yeah, I don't know. I'm a bit nervous. Well that's good.
Speaker 1: That's anario as possible. Bonnie. You're right, it's six all between these two teams. I've had two cracking games, you know, the one over in Adelaide where what Logan Rogers's scoring about the one hundredth minute or something to make that to all and then as you say, the four all, which was back and forth and back and forth and for you, round and round on the Fairest Will as you wrote that piece for the Herald. Okay, well, let's have a look at what might happen in these in these elimination finals, then Friday night, Western United will host Adelaide. Saturday night, Western Sydney will host Melbourne Victory. So the lowest ranked winner will play Auckland FC. The highest ranked winner will face Melbourne City in the semi finals. Who do you think will win? So are you are you backing Adelaide to beat Western United on Friday night?
Speaker 2: It's in Western United day?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think I think Western United get up, get up for that one and then the other game Melbourne Victory. I just think they're too good in this time of the year.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, in that scenario then it would be Melbourne Victory who Auckland FC would face home and away. So your PTSD right got the order right, would kick in well and truly. Yeah. So the team that Auckland cannot play in the semis is Western United. They can play Adelaide United or Western Sydney or Melbourne Victory. So if you're picking Melbourne Victory to win on Saturday night and Western United to win on Friday, then we are in store for a home and away semi final series against Melbourne Victory.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Parney, what do you think is going to happen?
Speaker 1: I think Western United will bet Adelaide as well, much as I would love Adelaide to go through because I just have really enjoyed the way they play, and I think it would be almost a bit of a chance for Carl Vett to give the powers that be at that club a bit of a middle finger. You know, they've sacked him effectively, or they haven't renewed him beyond the sea. Imagine if they beat Western United in the in the elimination final, get through to the semis. You know they're and I've said, thanks Carl, but we're going to go in a different direction. You know, I got no skin in that game, you know, so, but I think Western United will probably win. I think Western Sydney Melbourne victory is an absolute corn flip and absolutely and is set up for an epic epic game out at Combak Stadium on Saturday night. Whoever comes through that will be a worthy semi finalist. Obviously. I think they're both very dangerous sides. Melbourne victory, we know, you know, with their attacking threats, but you know, Western Sydney wanderers with you know, with Nicholas Milanovitch and bojed Ar Krajev Brandon Barrello, they too are very dangerous. Having said all of that, Bonnie, whoever Auckland face. Auckland have the best defense in the league, so they have shown over twenty six games that they can repel the best attacks in the league.
Speaker 2: But Pineyer defense wins, lead goals, win grand finals.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're right there, You're right there, and then you say, okay, well gives you momi nd Modino.
Speaker 2: Ten different goal scorers or something. I think that's the that's the stat.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, rather than talking vagaries next Monday, we can talk in absolutes. We can review these two elimination finals next week on the pod and look forward to specifically who Aukland FC will play. Now, what we do know is that the home semi final home and away the home semifinal will be at six o'clock New Zealand time on the night of Saturday May twenty fourth. Now believe tickets for members might go on sale tomorrow, Tuesday, today, today, I believe it all right, and then general sale. I would not wait around if you are looking for a ticket for that game. There is absolutely no doubt it will sell out, may even sell out this week, so i'd get your tickets if you are keen to go six o'clock Saturday, May twenty fourth. Now the Grand Final venue, We've talked about this a bit. The A League media release yesterday said the final is going to be on Saturday May thirty one. If it is on that date, it can't be at Eden Park because the Blues are playing there that same day. But then there was a graphic that came out later from the A League that said the Grand Final is May thirty one to June one, so across that weekend, so it could be someday. Have you got any gut feel on where it's going to be You've got the inside information of where this game, if it is a Grand Final of Auckland's going to be.
Speaker 2: I don't have any inside information other than that it's going to be decided in the next week. If it is in fact going to be in Auckland, obviously we won't know that till down the track. But I just feel, which is full speculation, that it'll absolutely be at Eden Park for two for three reasons. Firstly, I think you mentioned it to me Piney that Gosford didn't have another option last year or Central Coast didn't have another option last year other than Gosford, they wouldn't have traveled to Sydney, whereas Auckland do have another stadium option. The A League will want to make as much money as possible and Auckland FC have been consistently selling out, selling out their stadium or close to it, so I'm confident they'll be able to sell out Eden Park. And thirdly, I think the Australians secretly hate the Kiwis and they want to give New Zealand as much of a disadvantage as possible in the final.
Speaker 1: Wow. Oh, I'm sure they wouldn't say it like that, but if you think that's an underlying thing, you.
Speaker 2: Think like they don't want Auckland to win it, do they?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. I mean I think if you ask a few supporters of Australian clubs, they think that Auckland f C have been have been disproportionately glazed by the by you know, the Australian Football media, the APL and everybody else. Over the season. It seems like every social media post for a while was Auckland f C. But look, it's going to come down to the the balances this apill want to make, as you directly pointed out, as much money as possible. Therefore they want the bigger venue. But Auckland f C, for whatever power they have in this conversation, want to have it at go Media because that is their home, that is their fortress. It's just which which argument or whether that Auckland f C argument is compelling enough for apl to settle for less money from ticket sales. That's really what it comes down to.
Speaker 2: I think the only way that Auckland f C will get it across the line is if they know Go Media offer to put up a temporary stat and on that on that north side, or maybe remove the slide that they've had and feel kind of general admission tickets on that grassy bank. I'm not sure exactly how it will work, but I think also a massive thing is having it on that Saturday. That might play in their favor, because yeah, it'll it'll attracts such a bigger crowd being on a Saturday than it would that it would on the Friday or the Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, we wait and see, and as you say, they can't wait until after the semi finals. It might not matter because Auckland might not make it. They have to make a decision, as you say, probably in the next week or so, just to say, okay, if Auckland f C host heres where it's going to because the venue has to get ready for it, right. You can't just pull these things together in four or five days. It's all ahead of us. Auckland FC, we know, have the weekend off though, and next week it around about this time we will know the winners of the two elimination finals and therefore Auckland FC's opponent in their home and away semis. This is what Lord well from the highs of finals football to the lows of what we saw last night at sky Stadium, Wellington Phoenix nil Perth Glory two. Now, this game was rescheduled from Friday night Perth couldn't get to Wellington because of some horrendous weather at the back end of last week in the Capitol. The game was rescheduled to yesterday. Adam Taggart with both goals, one in each half, both very good finishes. He's a quality player. A somewhat fitting end to a very very disappointing Wellington Phoenix season. Just the one shot on target all evening Perth had nine. By comparison, fourth straight defeat to end the season. They've lost to the bottom two sides in successive weeks without scoring a goal, eleventh on the table, fourteen points outside the top six. Whichever way you cut and slice a Bonnie, this was a very very meek end to what has been a terribly disappointing season.
Speaker 2: Pretty underwhelming, wasn't it. I think from the performance on the pitch it echoed kind of their attitudes and their decline throughout the season. Also the fans that was not many people there. I do understand it had been a pretty shitty weather week in Wellington and probably was a cold Sunday night, But yeah, not a non an ideal way to end the season whatsoever. And you can just tell the attitudes and in the players they're just they're done, they're checked out. I can't say the same for the coaching staff, but I do wonder if maybe they jumped the gun a little bit re signing chiefye so soon.
Speaker 1: Well, that is a discussion point. I think that has been talked about a lot since he was re signed ten days ago. You know, there's certainly no indication from the Wellington Phoenix players they were in any way playing for their coach or anything like that, not that they have to, but the last couple of games, it's just such a with nothing on the line, Bondy, you know that the finals were out of reach. They were playing, as I say, the bottom two sides in Brisbane and Perth. You know, why not just have a crack, why not just give it a go. And it's just I just just looked like the tanks were empty, and you know, physically and mentally for the side, the body language was terrible. You know, there was nothing in the way of a spark. Really, only a couple of players, you know that I can think of last night really tried to inject themselves with any vigor. It was just a really really meek end to a you know, to to the seat. They just they just stumbled across the finish line.
Speaker 2: You know, oh, absolutely piny and everything. And I think I've pointed out the senior players a lot this season and in terms of you know, they haven't really stood up and shown with their body language that you know, to kind of give this team any hope. But perhaps that was a bit unfear of me. Even last night. I noticed a lot of the younger players, you know, walking and like walking on the field and into positions and just really really lazy attitudes. Again, apologies if that's too harsh, but that's just how it felt. And even then when you listen to to Chiefy after the game and the press conference that you you were at Piney and even his attitude was was very unmotivated, and yeah, you got to respect them. It's it's hard to go out there and do that, but especially with nothing on the line. But it's their job. They're paid. They paid good money to be able to be in that position, so I think, yeah, it's very disappointing. And the fact that they've got to go now play in the Australian Cup is what later this month is a bit like, oh, I bet they bet they're so checked out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just think they need space from it all. The contrast is so stark to last year. I mean you talk about the rain and the wind and that sort of thing, and I think back to last season that game against Melbourne victory, not the semi final, but the one at the back end of the regular season where Finn Sermon got the goal right at the end it was pouring down that night. It was an awful night, and yet people still turned up because of what the Phoenix were all about last season. Even yesterday at the start of the game when the team ran out and the you know, Adam Cooper, our good mate on the ground announcing, tried to say, yeah, give it, you know, give it up for your Wellington Phoenix and there was literally no there, Bonnie. You know it was And I think back a year to those packed stands, the semi final with a sollout Zavada's goal, all of that, and you can't help but compare, you know what, how how much that has changed in the space of just twelve months, how different it could be. And this isn't rare in the A League. You know, teams go through peaks and troughs, but after the huge highs and positivity of last year to you know, to what we've we've had to endure. Really, I mean one win in twelve home games this season, no wins at home in twenty twenty five. Last season they lost only one regular season game at home. You know, the contrast could not be any startup. You're right, they go to Darwin to play in the Australia Cup on Wednesday. That's next Wednesday. Then they'll break until preseason starts on the first of July. They seriously need a refresh of some sorts. So I've got a couple of questions for you around this. Do you think cost of Barbarusis will stay.
Speaker 2: I think he should. I wonder if maybe this season has just burnt him ound and he won't. But I think in terms of if he wants to put his best foot forward for the All Whites and the World Cup next year, he should stay where he's guaranteed minutes and you know, leads, leads the goal the goal scoring.
Speaker 1: Yep. I agree totally with that. He knows that if he stays, he basically plays every game as he has this season and has the opportunity to get a lot of minutes in front of the national coach. I just think that the other part of that is that he can't afford I don't think in his mind to be part of another season like the one we've just had in terms of, you know, what it's meant for his psyche, his motivation levels, just you know, being part of a team that hasn't for the back end of the season really challenged at all. Like, I absolutely hope he stays. I think other teams would take him, you know, But I think there is that degree of uncertainty for Costa. If he goes somewhere else, does he absolutely guarantee himself a starting spot for the vast majority of the season. And that's probably what he has to weigh up at the moment.
Speaker 2: And let's not forget as well, he is what thirty five, He probably you know, he's probably got his eyes on this World Cup, no doubt, but after that, I can't see him continuing playing for very much longer. So would to move whereas his family will live, you know, would to move across the ditch be the best thing for him at this time in his career, in his life. I'm not sure, But maybe that's the thing. Maybe he wants to go even further afar and make a bit more money.
Speaker 1: He's still very fit and even at thirty five, But I wonder whether his footballing focus at the moment is just between now and the end of the World Cup next year. So he's thinking in terms of a fourteen fifteen month proper position, and I hope that he comes to the conclusion that the best way to ensure he's in the World Cup squad with plenty of minutes under his belt is to stay in Wellington. He'd have to be convinced by Chiefee and by Sean Gill, the Director of football, that there is a plan for next season to lift them out of what's been a dreadfully inconsistent and disappointing campaign this time around. If they can convince him that there is some light at the end of what's been a dark tunnel, then I think he will stay for the reasons that you say. You know, you don't want to be uprooting your family. He's moved a lot in his career. You know, this is his third stint in Wellington. I mean different when he was younger and didn't have a wife and children, but he does now. You know, they're settled here. So yeah, I mean I feel like I need to draw him aside and try and sell Wellington to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's what I was going to say, Poney, have you got any insight in terms of what he might do or win? A decision at least will be made. He wouldn't have long to decide, would he.
Speaker 1: No. I think his contract will put it this way, you're paid up until the end of your contract, and I believe that's May thirty one. It could be June, it could be June thirty. Anyway, he's currently under contract until the end of this current A League season, whatever the date might be. If he doesn't sign an extension, then he stops getting paid basically, So yes, the answer is he would have to give them an answer. I think now that the season's done. He's always said during the season or the last bit of the season. Now I'm going to leave that until the end of the season. I'm focusing on the season at the moment. I make a decision at the end, So that's come now that time is now, you know, forget the Australia Cup. You know thing. I wonder whether we might get a decision this week even or in the next week to ten days. I'm sure there'll be other teams in for him, no question, quality quality a league player. Three hundred and fiftieth game last night in the A League. Only five other players have done that. Still banging in the goals, back to back double figure goal seasons for Costa.
Speaker 2: Look, yeah, does he come to Auckland. Imagine the scenes on Paulson two point zero?
Speaker 1: Would they want? Would they want? Costa?
Speaker 2: Well, the only person you'd probably start him over is someone like Logan Rogerson, because he wouldn't start over Mike. I guess he'd probably start over Maxmutter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it would be I feel like if I'm Terry mcflinn, I'm at least picking up the phone.
Speaker 2: Oh, surely I might call Cherry after this and ask him, all.
Speaker 1: Right, well, maybe you can report back or we're doing at the moment. I don't have any inside information, no, none. I haven't spoken to Costa about it. I don't have any any line into him at all. I just hope that he stays. Let's go to the imports. Josh Olaway, Yemmy Kazuki Nagasawa, and hideki A Shiga are all signed for next season. Now. The question was put to Chiefy at the press conference last night. Are all of the imports definitely coming back? We know Scott Woton isn't, so Olowa, I mean, Nagasawa is Shiga? Are all of the imports coming back? And he said potentially? So. I mean it's a very very vague answer, right, So that means that in the follow up question from Phil Rollo it staff was so not certainly and chief he said, well, nothing certain in football. I think they're trying to find a way out of one or more of these contracts.
Speaker 2: Oh they've got to piney like looking at the season they've had. They absolutely have to and surely you know Olawa Amy is not going to want to sit on the bench for another season because I think if if he does, you know, if he does stay, he is sitting on the bench. There's there's not a lot between him and Kelly hild So why wouldn't you start the younger, younger one who is an academy player. In terms of the two Japanese imports, the yeah, I don't know. Again, they haven't had probably as many minutes as they would have liked. So a tricky wimp. I don't know how how all that stuff works and how easy it is for the Phoenix to get out of those contracts.
Speaker 1: You're like, I guess you have to pay them out. That's how it works. I think if you want to, if you want to extricate yourself from a contract and terminate it by mutual consent, I think you have to pay out the remainder of the contract, so you know they've got And with josh Olawami, I mean he doesn't want to sit on the bench, but the Wellington Phoenix don't want an import sitting on the bench, either goalkeeper or otherwise. Your imports have said this so often. Your imports have to be starting players, you know. They you cannot afford to have your precious five import spots taking up space on a bench. They need to be pushing for the starting side or regulars and the starting side. And again to compare with Auckland, all five imports have been really really successful. I think one day will come back into the side and so all five of them will be in that starting side. And that's the way that you have to you know, you have to have to look at this. Would josh Alawayami, Kazuki Nagasawa, Hadecki Ishiga make any other A League men's side as an import? They might, but I'm not sure one hundred percent sure that they would. So yeah, look there's some discussions to be had there. There's not a lot of regal room otherwise because there's if they do stay and cost of stays, then I think that's twenty signed for next season, you can only have twenty three, so any refreshing of the squad it becomes a little bit more difficult. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also found last night listening to that press conference audio when Chief he said in response to that question about the wiggle room in terms of the players locked in, and he did focus on the fact that the academy players will all be a little older and a little wise in next season, so that should hopefully boost up the squad. And I thought that was a bit short minded, short sighted of Chief He to say. I think if he's hoping those academy players, and you know, a lot of them have done a right and stepped up, the likes of Isaac Hughes and Matt Sheeron and Corbyn Piper, if he's focused on those younger boys, I think that's a little bit concerning because I think they're going to need a little bit more than that to see, you know, stark improvement next season.
Speaker 1: Interesting times ahead, a lot to work on for jian Calo Italiano and his coaching staff over the next few months. Players back, as I say, after the Australian Cup on July the first for pre season training, the Wellington Phoenix awards night. The official awards night is tomorrow night. We thought we'd get in early and give out our awards. I've asked you to come up with a Player of the Year and a Young Player of the Year. So who is your player of Player of the Y for Wellington Phoenix.
Speaker 2: It was really quite hard to pick, but I'm just gonna have to go with Costa Barbarusis. I think he did a lot with what he could. I spoke a lot throughout the season. There was not a lot, not much of a link between the midfield and Costa, but the fact he's still got ten goals off was was somewhat impressive and obviously scored the first goal that Auckland f C conceded.
Speaker 1: I had had Costa, but I've gone with Scott Wooton. I thought, you mate, Yeah, I just think in the midst of what has been a really challenging time, I just think we can weak out. He he fronted up and sort of you know, tried to hold together and at times very inexperienced a defensive line with you know, chopping and changing of goalkeepers, of fallbacks of players sitting in front. You know, he had to sort of I guess guide the likes of Hughes and Sheridan and others through his experience. So I've gone Scott Wooton and we know that he's leaving the club. We know he and Sam Sutton, I mean still not official, but they are going to Perth. But I've taken Scott Wotton as player of the year Young player of the Year. I can first here if you like, I've gone and.
Speaker 2: Shall we say it at the same time?
Speaker 1: Okay? Three to one Corbyn Piper. I don't think there's any argument there as to a young player and Rookie of the year. I mean, one of the bright spots of a dark season, Corbyn Piper coming and he was asked to play another position last night he was up at center forward. I think he's played every position apart from goalkeeper and if Chief is head here to take the gloves he probably would.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, no's He's done well and I was excited about that signing at the start of the season. I think he was snubbed by Auckland FC and they might be regretting that decision. I'm still not sure what Corbyn Piper's future looks like where the national team is on the cards for him, But yeah, I think Wellington will be a great place for him for the next couple of seasons, and yeah, I hope he only only continues to grow.
Speaker 1: All right, just before we leave the Phoenix, what is the position if you're in the recruitment team at Wellington Phoenix, if you're looking ahead to next season, what is the position or maybe even a couple of positions that you think are most in need of strengthening at the club.
Speaker 2: I think center backs both obviously Scott Wooton going and then I just don't think Isaac Hughes or Matt Sheridan a scene near enough or experienced enough to be playing that center back. I you know, got on them. They stepped up this year when they needed to, but they need more experience in those positions. And with Tim Pain there as well, you know what what a back line that could be. The other position again I mentioned it just before, is that attacking midfield role where I'd love to see a really strong attacking midfield midfielder to help kind of bridge that gap between Alex Rufer and Costa.
Speaker 1: I had exactly the same positions written down. Yeah, that the creative for midfielder, you know, they hoped it would be Marco Rojas, right. That's they signed Marco at the start of the season with every intention of him being the creative force in the middle of the park. He was only fit enough to start two games and take part in seven games across the season before being released from his contract early, so that clearly didn't work. But you know, that creativity that we got from Ben Olden bogged our cry Eve in particular last year just has been severely lacking this year. And yeah, Costa Barbarusis for the most part has had to live off scraps. So yeah, an attacking midfielder, and I think you're looking for an import attacking midfielder and probably an import center back as well to replace Scott Wooten. You know, defense wins championships, as they say, Bonnie, and I think they probably need to need to replace Scott Wharton as well as look for something a bit further up the park. Hey, Ninja A League semi finals, the Women's A League competition. We've had the first leg of these and a very good day out for Claudia Bunge.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, unreal for Claude obviously football Ferns center back. She her Melbourne Victory team beat Adelaide United away in the in the first semi three to one. They went one kneel down, but Claudia Bunge scored two goals to take it to three to one. So yeah, really really incredible if it there. And then also Melbourne City drew with Central Coast Mariners to all. Melbourne City obviously is home to also fellow football Ferns center back Rebecca Stott.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a good result for Central Coast, you know, because Melbourne City had been excellent. They didn't lose all season to all draw to take to Melbourne City, I'm going to gives them a bit of hope, doesn't it. And Melbourne Victory looks secure going to Adelaide with that three one lead. H sorry, coming back home with that three one lead. Claudia Bunch might get an aggregate hat trick across the two games. I'm not sure there's even such a thing, but yeah, well under Claudia Bunch, maybe it'll be Claudia Bunge and Rebecca Stott facing off in the Grand Final. And Grace Neville's been promoted Bonnie.
Speaker 2: Yes, they were promoted to the Woman's Super League. The London City Lioness's team who play in the Women's Championship. The Woman's Super League is obviously the equipped woman's equivalent to the Premier League, so huge for that club. I think it's the first time they've ever gone up to that top division. So it'd be great to see Grace and Nevillan and amongst the likes of you know, Sam Kerr and Alicia Russo playing Arsenal and Chelsea and things like that.
Speaker 1: Very cool for Grace, never well known to her. And just a word on Tyler Binden. His Reading side couldn't quite make it into the playoffs, but he's off to Nottingham Forrest now of course, and he goes as Redding's Player of the Year. He was awarded that in the last couple of days. So congratulations to Tyler Binden with known for a long time, well quite a while anyway, how good a player he is and could possibly be. And yeah, reading a bit of the stuff online from Reading fans, a number of them saying, look, he's the best defender we've ever had. The kid's only nineteen, for goodness, so crazy. He could be anything. He could be anything. So we look forward to tracking his progress as well. That is us on Football Fever for today. A week from now, when our next episode comes out, we'll know who Walkland the FC are facing in their home and away semi finals, so we'll be able to do some some more detailed analysis on strengths, weaknesses, threats and things like that. Bonnie, have an excellent week and we'll we'll check in again about the same time next Monday.
Speaker 2: We'll see it in Piney
Speaker 1: Faver