Speaker 1: Inside, therefore getting you closer to the game you love. With Adeen Wilson, Anna Stanley and Jenny Woods By News Talks, I'd be.
Speaker 2: Curdie Tefano and welcome to Inside Netball. Well, Dean's away this week, so we have called in our super sub former Silver Ferns coach Evon Willering, who is of course over everything when it comes to netball. Today we will be reviewing the round that was and yes I got zero from three in terms of my picks. We'll be chatting all those games, will chat how we think the two point shot is holding up. Two rounds in and we have former Silver Fern now Tactics coach Donna Wilkins on the show.
Speaker 3: But first, ladies, thank god for you.
Speaker 4: Jen.
Speaker 3: You got one out of three. I got none, one out.
Speaker 4: Of three cheap. That was a great game, actually I went but all alah, you know, and what's happening with the magic I mean, you know, this is something we'll have to discuss, Yvonne.
Speaker 2: There was a lot that went down, perhaps for you, what would be a highlight or a low light for the for the round.
Speaker 5: Well, the highlight had to be the Stars Tactics game. You went to it one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I enjoyed obviously watching the two coaches in action. I loved just seeing the interaction and that. But also it was a close game. Was a five point game, so I think the crowd really stayed within it. And it was a situation right at the end where I was, I look at the two points. Tactics were in a position they had to they had to go for two points because they were down by quite a number of points. They came within two in that last quarter, and I'm standing at the end looking at Stars and I have a bit of involvement with the Stars. I'm going just take the one points and that's all they needed to have a.
Speaker 4: Bit of a.
Speaker 5: Well what you're saying, you know, and they were taking the one points, and it is a time when do you take the twos and when do you take the ones? Appreciate with the twos. If you miss, the chances are going to go out of court, right or there's very solemn there is a rebound, Yes, if there's a really tall shooter in there and it's a goal attack taking it, but that hasn't been the case a lot of the time. So yep, really enjoyed that game. Not just because it was close, but because there was I mean, the Stars were without players and yet other players stood up and what was it, Lily Tokolu, No, wow, I mean the intercept she took in that game, and you know, and I look at it and I'm going, yes, some of them were creative for her, but she made the most of the opportunities.
Speaker 2: Some were also very soft passes I thought from the tact decks unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Big Diagonal spoke to Donna about that. I'm going, what is with your team? Because there are i mean tactics. You know, they're a very experienced team, and yet they didn't play what we would call straight line players. And yeah, they absolutely they gifted it, but she still went for it. And how often have we seen defensively that they haven't been doing that? And the tactics really they didn't get the intercepts that they should have got. And I think they were really nervous about Charlie Bell in the.
Speaker 2: Back, but they certainly stayed in the fight, the tactics and someone that always used to stay in the fight as their coach, Donna Wilkins.
Speaker 3: Let's chat with her now.
Speaker 1: The Inside Netball podcast.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome Dons to Inside Netball. No, no, you've had a you're in between trainings today. You might have been a little bit of a grumpy coach after the loss over the weekend to the Stars.
Speaker 3: What was your take on that game?
Speaker 6: To be fair, I wasn't that grumpy.
Speaker 7: U's probably a little bit disappointed because we had an opportunity to go out and show what we could do and we weren't polished.
Speaker 6: We weren't polished.
Speaker 7: We you know, threw dumb passes like there was ones that would you know to receive those passes. So it's an easy fix, I believe when we watch our review process and look at the tape, you know, the girls can see actually, if I can tidy up just one thing, we were in a better spot. But all of that aside, we also had an opportunity to still win that game, and that showed the fight that we can do. So how we played in the last four or five minutes is what the challenges I guess to the tactics to bring that for every moment, not just the last five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was in just thing Don's like and the last quarter you made a comeback and Selby Record's got some really good two pointers in that and I question, when do you use your two pointers in a one point And I did hear you say from the side of the court, maybe we should have taken a one pointer.
Speaker 3: Before the two pointers.
Speaker 5: So as a coach, how do you approach each quarter the last five minutes?
Speaker 7: Yeah, look, it's interesting you could you ask that, Eva, And like everyone's you know, talking up the two point shot, and I think there's a time and a place for it, and clearly, when you're down, you have to take that opportunity.
Speaker 6: And we were down going into that last five minutes.
Speaker 7: We were down ten points, so we had to do it to pire a shot two and Tina got one. But they were taking them at the right moments. And I'm not going to tell you when that right moment.
Speaker 6: I spoke to.
Speaker 7: Weirdy a little bit after our first game and then they took all ones. It's won by how many, So I'm going to keep that little bit to myself. But there is a right time in a wrong time, And I kind of thinking it's a big what if when we got to that two points, we should have gone for the one and keept that pressure on. We still had two and a half minutes and then all the pressure would have turned to the stars because we've gone from ten to one goal difference, but we didn't take that could have gone the other way when in and out I thought we had the rebound. So you know, there's always what ifs, but we do definitely have a strategy around that.
Speaker 4: So, Donna, you talk a lot about pressure. Is it harder as a coach or harder as a player.
Speaker 7: Oh, oh, it's awful as a coach because you can't do anything. Like you're sitting and you're watching it and you see these girls train so hard and what they put into it, and then for it not to click in that moment that they do with the training for when you know that they're so much better, Like we just had sloppy errors and we got no Well, we got gains, we got ball, don't get me wrong, but we didn't get intercepts and that's what we pride ourselves on. So that's where it become disappointing as a coach. But you're definitely a lot easier when you're out they're doing it yourself, then sitting and trying to give them guidelines to do what you're you know what you know that capable of.
Speaker 5: And that's one thing I really enjoyed about the game, apart from the fact out on court, but I love watching Timmy Parra and yourself, Don's, you know, as coaches, you know, when you've coached them as players and now seeing them and going welcome to the real world. And the one thing I always say to people, you can't play the game for them as much as you'd like to.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure Don's is so many decisions you've got to make to as coach. You've got Ali Bird in the circle. You've got Martina Salmon. So we saw in that game against the Stars, Bird stayed on the bench. Were you tempted to bring her on in that last quarter?
Speaker 6: Not in the last quarter.
Speaker 7: Probably a bit more tempted in the third, just to shake it up a bit and have a bit more height. Like Tina's been training hard at goal attack too, but I don't think she's quite there yet to push out. So I probably would have left to Pie there and brought Ali on, but I chose not to because my focus was, you know, we have had one quarter I think it was seventeen percent that we disrupted off their center pass. So defense was my issue and that's why you saw changes happen there. And look, it nearly worked, didn't it, bringing Paris into center to try and just be more solid as a unit defensively.
Speaker 3: Have you ever thought of maybe putting bird goal shoot, Salmon goal attack, TP, wing attack and Peterson center.
Speaker 7: Well, we would, but as you would have seen that Eric Kana rolled her ankle in that game, which wasn't helpful, so that ruled her out as the option of going to center. Look to Pie has trained a lot at wing attack. I don't know if you saw much of our pre season, but there is definitely a lineup that we have trained and we have used four quarters.
Speaker 3: Oh I quite like that one.
Speaker 4: Look, well, is it perhaps round three coming up? Is there a temptation you're playing the Magic haven't had a win yet?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: Do you think you're going to be a little complacent or no room for complacency?
Speaker 7: Well, there is no room, and maybe we were a little bit going. I'd like to think that we weren't, but maybe we were a little bit complacent coming into playing against the Stars. They had a couple injuries and I tried to stress to the girls throughout the week. They haven't lost anyone from their attacking end, right, that's their scoring end. We get just as much possession. You know, don't feel sorry for them, but maybe there was a little bit of that. So maybe they've learned and they're not.
Speaker 6: Going to be feeling sorry for the Magic. Look, you're going to remember.
Speaker 7: Magic are going to come out and they're going to hit their straps at some point. They've got talented players right throughout the court. At the moment, it's not clicking for them, but they're again playing at home, so we just can't afford to take them lightly. It's really important because we lost last week. I'm hoping that's not part of our mental site going into this one fair enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I look at it, you know, and the two point structure with the Magic the one thing it can aw sur prize herself on the long shots, and she indicated media quite a while ago. Now it's going to suit her game because she's going to get rewarded for taking it. And yet I have not seen her take that many. She has in the last quarters of games, but not sort of throughout the duration. And two is the one actually and hasn't been that successful with them and if you have a look at it and not do I mean this badly, but it's the teams that have been using the two points system are basically teams that are losing and catching up. So I'd like to see teams not just utilize it in the last quarter, but have pride in their performance and actually use it in the other quarters as well, and also work both attack and defensively on that. Is that something you're looking at or is it really very much your two points last quarter?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: No, definitely using them and it's quite interesting. I've told our shooters like Martina and Tapia are very solid from there when they want to be. But as a shooter, you need to feel it right. So I'm never going to say don't shoot it. Like if they're feeling it, go for it. But if you do not get it, you have to rebound your ball. I think both ends the rebounds are key, and you saw that with the Steel performance. We're done, got all of the offensive rebounds, Kara stythe down the other end rebounded. That's something that we need to improve on. And it hasn't just been this year issue. It's you know, I think in the previous years it's not been a strength of ours to rebound defensively, and it has been a focus. So I'm hoping that we're going to see a shift at both ends here too. So if you're getting the rebounds, you don't mind taking the Tuesday.
Speaker 2: First year coaching, don's what have you found the most challenging so far as a coach, because it's quite the switch to go for a player to coach.
Speaker 6: The challenges living in christ Church.
Speaker 7: My husband's still at home on the farms up to watch the sport every weekend. My kids are all here, so that's that's awesome light. Last night I've got to go and watch them all play basketball, so I'm around a bit more. All three of them are at the same school, so that side of it's really good. Netball twenty four to seven is a webit in tests. It's all the extra stuff. It's a meetings like were you know yesterday I went to training at ten to eight. I got out of there at hubbas three and we didn't even have a training, you know, Like it's just review and watching clips and meetings, just trying to make the athlete better, you know, and make the team better. So I think it's just all the extra stuff that goes into it.
Speaker 6: It's pretty intense.
Speaker 4: Is it what you expected?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I did expect that, but yeah, it's just it's really full on.
Speaker 7: And I think there's been moments where I've kind of asked, is this really what I want to be doing?
Speaker 6: And am I cut out for this?
Speaker 7: Like as a player, you always look to what you can do better, and I definitely did that on Sunday night and didn't get much sleep. I think it's actually worse than being a player watching the tape and you know, going through all the stats and I guess questioning whether I made the right calls, and I guess the more I do it, the more I'll grow in confidence with my decisions. But I needed to self reflect as much as the players do.
Speaker 2: So just in terms of that juggle with motherhood coaching. Being a wife, So you're living in christ Church at the moment, your kids are in christ Church, so your husband's at home in the Deep South on his own. How often are you getting down there?
Speaker 7: I've been twice since I've been in christ Church, so not very often. But we play the Steel down there soon and we get two days off afterwards, so I'll actually get home but lock he comes up and travels up here a lot, and he did last year as well when the boys were at school, but I never got that opportunity because my daughter was still going to school and goer. But yeah, he's been up here the last two weeks watching sport. He was at the Stars game, so you know, he's got quite supportive of watching netball again, which is exciting.
Speaker 6: But you just do what you've got to do, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the kids, he got any star basketballers so here. They're all pretty good on the basketball court, don's.
Speaker 6: Oh, they're not too bad. They love it.
Speaker 7: My oldest is sixteen, Cooper, and it's all about dunking apparently at the moment, so that's quite stressful.
Speaker 6: But look, they love just playing sport.
Speaker 7: Maya she plays netball and basketball, but all in the senior basketball sort of set up.
Speaker 6: I've had the middle child.
Speaker 7: Jack in a moon boot, which hasn't been fun. So we're nearly up to eight weeks. But the interesting thing he's got Leslie as his doctors. We've got some pretty good so we're going a whole life circle really, but like it's nice to be close to them, and I'm.
Speaker 6: Just enjoying being back near family in christ Church.
Speaker 2: Really, I bet Dean and I feel like we live at like radiology places X raying our kids. So I think it comes with having athletic kids.
Speaker 1: The last five on inside netball.
Speaker 2: Okay, don's just to finish, We're gonna ask you our fast five questions, so just whatever comes out. So first question, if you could have three athletes for dinner, alive or dead, who would you invite to dinner?
Speaker 7: I would have Andre Egacy, I would have Dennis Rodman, and I.
Speaker 3: Was going to say Roger must have been in there for her.
Speaker 4: If you could compete in any other sport, what would it be? Actually doesn't really count for you because you.
Speaker 7: Didall basketball, but other than basketball, had to pick another sport, it would be tennis.
Speaker 2: Quite like tennis, don't you. You're a big Australian Open fan. You'd go every year, wouldn't you. Okay, in your team and the tactics team, who would A get you into trouble and then B get you out of trouble? So firstly, who's someone that would get you into trouble?
Speaker 7: Someone that would get me into trouble in my team would probably be Peelock's Paris, I knew it. Yeah, I think someone that would get me out of trouble Paris would probably be Jane because she's a good talker.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, Dane, right, okay, So now what would be your last supper meal? Now this is like if you were going to the executioners the next stage. Well, we've got to make it clear.
Speaker 3: What's your favorite if.
Speaker 4: You are not going to have another meal again on this earth?
Speaker 6: It would have to be a steak, like a beef filet. I fell at steak. You know, I'm on the farm.
Speaker 7: The farm married me. But it doesn't matter what's with it. But it would have to be a steak.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: And lastly, Don's best piece of advice you've ever been given.
Speaker 7: Just enjoy things and to keep enjoying it. And if you're not enjoying it, it's time to.
Speaker 3: Stop love it.
Speaker 2: Oh well, we hope you enjoy your game this weekend against the Magic. We'll we are certainly looking with great interest. Thanks heaps, Don's.
Speaker 5: Thanks, catch up, cheers, Don up inside Nedball on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Inside that Ball.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'll always lovely to hear from Donna Wilkins. Nothing like a good steak from the farm. We've had some interesting glass supper meal. Haven't had a stake yet, so no.
Speaker 4: And but we did have who was it spag bowl or something from somebody, but you know, each to their own.
Speaker 3: Taco Bell.
Speaker 2: Well, let's let's let's talk about the first game, the tech. Well, let's let's go Stars tactics first is coming off chatting to Don's It was a tough week for the Stars. They went through those three injuries. Of course, it was great to see Bell back on the court, but no agreea Saint Claire, no Kate Burley. Then they had the death of Leanna Dubray's brother, so it wasn't just the injury, so massive amount of adversity. You've got to give them some credit the mental fortitude to come through the week that they had and play the game they did. Yvonne, absolutely, I mean you were involved a little bit in their preparation during the week.
Speaker 3: What was your take on that that game?
Speaker 5: Yeah, mainly I was there to support the coaches to be fair, you know, And yeah, I found out about Leanna's brother, and so yeah, I was there to support her as well. And what I enjoyed with him is that the team just really united as a group. How did they win that game. It's because they played it as a team and they played it smart, you know, and you can say, well, we did it for these you know, these people now at the end of the day, it was about their own individual performance and also the collective unit. And you know, I think Donald.
Speaker 4: Also alluded to it.
Speaker 5: You know, Tactics might have taken them a little bit lightly, you know, because they're a very experienced team, and yeah, and Starts just really took it to them. They Tactics won the last quarter, and that's why I asked about the two point structure. They won that last quarter fourteen thirteen. But it's really interesting because in that last quarter, again I thought Stars played it smart because in that last quarter, they slowed the ball down when they had ball in hand. They didn't need to score points. They were leading by three or four at that time, so they have to try to keep the ball in hand to avoid obviously Tactics getting it within the last five minutes. So you know, that two point structure isn't just about nailing two pointers. It's also about how you play that last five minutes. And I thought that that certainly Stars played that really well. They deserve the win. Defensively, they got some really good ball and on attack, Charlie Bell in particular, I thought, really stood up, you know, and yeah, I mean, if a shooter is on form and they're really wanting it, you're going to play the ball through played it short as well on attack. So therefore Watson basically never had a chance to get the ball, you know, and neither well none of the whole defensive unit.
Speaker 3: In the ended Charlie Bell has been a good fine for the Stars.
Speaker 4: Oh she has, and I thought, no, who is this person? But as a spectacle that game, I just loved it. In fact, it was the game of the season. Now I know it had two, but it was the game of the season and it was because it was so exciting. It sort of built and built and built, and to me, I thought it was a great example of why we needed the two point shot, because I found myself looking at the clock and thinking, oh, you know, only a few more minutes ago until we got down to that last five minutes. So the other player I would love to meet, Tory Colossi in the mid court for the Stars, played the whole game, just delivered all the time. So yeah, look, it was fabulous.
Speaker 2: Mela playing a hundred games, was solid in the middle. They really do need her, don't they. And I said it last week, I'm really enjoying when Wilson comes on for her cameos at goal attack, fault mat ads. It adds a slight difference. But really impressed with the Stars. If we look at the tactics, what's going wrong? Because to me, Evon they looked very disjointed, and I think on attack their mid court, the connections from the mid court into their shooters is not firing. Burger and Watson They're not there. Are they not there at the moment that's going on down the defense end?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you would never normally subne substitutions there. And they look they were found wanting absolutely And you could say it's because of the tall player in the back night. I don't buy that one, because you can take the ball a lot earlier. Burger should be out hunting for those, even as a goal offense out hunting and I think at times they really pegged. They stayed right back in the circle. I'm going, you know, that's something you did a long time ago. I thought, you know, yeah, they must look at that and have a look why did we not get intercepts? And you have a look at it in any team that is winning, and we've only had two rounds, but you know, it is about also gaining intercept obviously making the most of your opportunities. But yeah, as a whole defensive unit, they're not there, you know. And that's going right back from the mid court all the way down and yeah, they just looked really disjointed, like like you said, you know, and even in that last quarter when they had the fight back, I always felt the Stars were in control of that game.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Interesting actually, because when you think back to round one when they playing the Steel, they were only i mean it was up by one goal of the tactics going into that final call. Then they got their act together and you just thought, ah, yes, here's.
Speaker 3: The but they had to fight for that one.
Speaker 4: They but I mean, that fight seemed to have gone. So I'm sure, you know, Donald Wilkins will be working on them.
Speaker 3: Well, I quite like you know what I said to Don. I was thinking, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Pale, put the bird at the back, You've got Sam and at cole attack. Put the height of tp in and Peterson and at center I think that's that's certainly an option that will be watching that she could do going forward. Okay, the next game, let's talk the Mystic's Pulse. Well, me and a Dane, we packed the Pulse, especially after that great first round performance in Palmistan North and then it just sort of capitulated the mistakes. They are going good guns, Jean.
Speaker 1: Well, is this the true Pulse?
Speaker 4: Because you know, the Pulse beat the Magic easily in round one, But now you know we've seen another very similar performance from the Magic. So are they not the team that perhaps we thought they were. Well, I know we spoke the other day about this. I love that game and because I was there as a spectator and it was well, I just it was great. I loved sitting at one end and looking down the court and watching those balls of petitoya a fly everywhere after the little head nod. I yeah, no, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: So what do you think is going on wrong with the Pulse.
Speaker 5: Honestly, in that first week, the Pulse played well. Yes, you can also say you're a Magic made not have but they were a team that utilized what I would call the two point. Well, you know when they made the substitution, and not just in the last quarter. They did early on Marlisla came on from instead of Matuile and then really shot them and we know that you can shoot them, right, And I thought, yep, this is a total team, you know. Coach came out in the coach's box and I was really excited by it all. And so when this game suddenly comes out on your you know, Mystics won the previous week, but it was an okay performance. It wasn't a brilliant performance. So I thought, yeah, I actually pecked the Pulse to win this one. So really surprised about that. And what I was really looking forward to was the versus Jackson, you know, to have that hype factor, just to see how it works totally different to you know, to Grace Neweki in the fact, well she's got such elevation, Walum tends to be a little bit more of a holding shooter, so I thought, be really interesting to see that. Well Walm you know, she won that battle absolutely, and there was very few intercepts taken by the Pulse, you know, and I looked at that and I'm going, there's Mystics that good. They won that second quarter of something like sixteen to nine, you know, and I'm going in our game, now, yeah, are we getting like you have a look at it? When suddenly you get the big boom for the last five minutes? Are our team starting to panic? There's a lot of ball being thrown around, and appreciate the more it's thrown around, the more chance of an intercept. And I'm going just get on with it. At the end of the day. It's a long shot, but it's a long shot.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: If it goes out, you know, then it's generally speaking, it's the opposition's ball. Would you normally take the long shots in a type testing game? Problem? Not?
Speaker 2: The fact that you know they only got nine in that quart of the pulse to me suggests so for me, I think there's a real problem down that attack, in that goal attack position. You know, we've seen the mixing Matudo and Molly Sella. I don't think they've really nailed who's going to be playing six sixty minutes.
Speaker 3: Who's the fittest. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Wormsley hasn't quite taken control of that goalship, which is a worry. We don't have Grace is she a comtruder for the Firns.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what was interesting there though, Wormsley, she took a lot of ball when she was going out of court and just to her her balance wasn't there, And when she's good on the bellet, no, she hasn't. But I thought she was getting better, yes, you know, but now she got the ball she didn't even like when she turned. At least have an attempt to give it to your own team. But that was just a wayward passing ninety percent of the time, if not more, the opposition got it.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 5: I looked at that and going, yeah, they actually love of soft turnovers in that game.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about the mystics then, because down the defense end, Catherine h Oh, I mean, nine games, super impressive. What I want to ask is, do you think she's got a future in that gold offense position? For the silver offense if we're thinking succession plan, you know, Jane Watson's not going to be there forever, if Berger is going to be across twins. Oh, you're you're looking at me like you know something.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, but there's quite a few players actually, I mean I love seeing encircled defense anyway, at the best of times. But you also got stife and I'm sure we're going to be talking about her as well. You know, I look at her and boy has she benefited from leaving the listics and going you know, just still main reason she's now a starling player. What I loved about her is that she was so dominant in there. Catherine Hall is getting her opportunities and she's making the most of the opportunities. So yeah, I think we still need a little bit more time, give me a couple more rounds before I make any decisions with regard to that. But yeah, I mean some of our experienced players are not around at the moment or are not performing to the best. So yeah, opportunities fathers to get in there.
Speaker 2: Peter Toyava, it's just two rounds, Gene and being impressive.
Speaker 4: Impressive as ever. But just before we well we're not going to leave the misstress. But do we need a bit more ras mataz for when the five we move in to that five point zone not five point two point zone?
Speaker 3: In terms of what rasmetas.
Speaker 4: Like music, Yeah, like I sort of wouldn't. I was the game I did on Sunday, It was oh oh look it's it's you.
Speaker 2: Know, we had a bit of Kenny Rodgers Islands in the Stream in Glowbox Arena.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but people were complaining, yeah, because the music was so loud, couldn't hear the umpires.
Speaker 2: There you go, keep everybody well, yeah, I thought mistakes. Yeah, impressive Catherine Hall Boy, she's certainly one to watch. And yeah, Peter is just delivering every week, so she must be on Noling Cudo's radar when you thinks of offense selections coming up.
Speaker 5: What's interesting with her is that we used to always say, oh, she had the huge target, right, it's not grace and a wiki. But now she's got to actually feed it pretty well into the space and she's doing that brilliantly. I totally agree with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay. And the last game Who Magic Steel. Now this was a tough one because I.
Speaker 2: Went down Trottedd down to Hamilton Globox Arena thinking that the Magic we're going to win and by Gollie gosh, twenty eight goal hiding Magic were just out of sorts. I mean, there's so much to fix, but for me in particular, and I was watching her quite a bit. Tuy love how athletics she is loved the combination that her and Echinasio made last year. For one, I'm disappointed that they haven't continued on what they started last year, and they've gone backwards.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, this Magic side, we're really contesting and challenging some of the top teams last year, and I thought, great, they'll keep moving forward. Well, for me, it feels like they've gone backwards. TWOI at times when I watched her Evan, I was thinking, she goes on the body too much, and you're turning and the middies don't know where to pass it because she's not creating any space, she's not pulling a defender in the Echinasia didn't know where to go. So for me, I thought a lot of the problem was actually her, which could be an easy fix because she's fast, she's athletic. Once she gets her feet moving, that will help.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you just mentioned and she's fast, so why is she going onto the body? You know, and she's not. She'd never be what I would call a holding shooter at all. So yeah, I agree with you, that's it should be an easy fix. But there's obviously a few other other things going on with that team at the moment and yeah, that's so disjointed and just making substitutions isn't the answer, you know, And I agree like they should have moved on from last year. I think, well they basically very stable team as they had from last year. So you look at that and going what's going on? Then you've got your Econacio factor who actually in the media and that's why I can talk about it. It has indicated yay, I'm a long range shooter and she's brilliant and she's a wonderful long shoot it. And yet we do not see her taking that many unless it is in that last quarter. And I'm going, you should be the dominan two pointer, not too he and too he kept it going. She can jump age could, but then there shouldn't be a rebound because I really rate the announced you to get the ball in.
Speaker 4: That's right, But also what's going on in the mid court. Clara O'Brien, I mean, I'm a bit of a fan, but silver Fern twenty five minutes is I don't know. And you know, Reagan de Bono, who last year was was a bit part player, and I think you know, it's probably where she is or where she should be, you know, thirty nine minutes. So I yeah, I don't know. I'm glad, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I thought actually when DeBono came on, she actually did let it go quicker into the space. I felt she did actually make a bit of a difference. But yeah, I think that there's there's disconnect everywhere between the mid court. They were kind of getting it down just to the top of that goal circle and then it would just there was nothing but defensively chasing.
Speaker 5: I'm going to say defensively exactly. They were just chasing players and toil In particularly, I rate her because she goes out for intercept and how many did they get. I think they got one in the end. You know, well in sixty more game, you are kidding me. So yeah, unless you're getting balled defensively, you're going to be in trouble. And that's what I'm saying. They are disconnected at the moment. And yeah, it's not just about making substitutions. And that's something as a coach you go, you know, is that what I have to do? And at the moment, that's what they have to do. But it isn't working for them, and that right now they just need to go back and say, listen, as a collective unit, what is you know, what are we really strong at? And let's just put that out on court. So do you have to give credit to the steal? I mean plutely, I mean cheap is.
Speaker 4: Sixty nine goals and that final quarter nineteen to seven.
Speaker 3: And Done got fifty four of that.
Speaker 2: You know, she put up fifty four goals two were you only put up twenty four. Now that's just a sign of how well they easy they could connect with Done. I've always said this, Done she could have been an amazing silver firm. When she plays, well, boy, she's pretty unstoppable. But she's just ebbs and ebbs and flowed as a player. Hasn't been Fit's open enough? Yeah sometimes fitness she never passed you. What I found interesting about Steele, and what I thought was.
Speaker 5: Really good, is that they actually won the game not utilizing two points. If you have a look at it, they would have actually gone further ahead if the Magic hadn't scored those two pointers in that last quarter. So I looked at that game and I'm going, oh, Steel is just progressing from every quarter played first quarter nineteen thirty to them last quarter nineteen seven. No excuse for that, but give it to them and the player of the game. And I said it throughout and luckily she while was play her at a game was steife. I mean, she came through for interceptions, and I mentioned earlier, you know what I liked about her is that she has just taken it on board. She's really working that whole defensive circle and she's not just talking about it, she's actually doing it with actions and not just defensively. She's also making sure that once she gets the intercept that it travels down court. So yeah, I thought that was a pretty good performance by still considering don't forget Kate heffern And still out and Lawson last minute was also out of the team. So another team that has been without some really important players. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Added to that, Fru got you know, every member of her of whom team on, which is pretty good. Also got to mention kenye Lee Monroe Nonora has just come into the squad. She got what just about the whole game forty six minutes, so you know, obviously they are doing nicely with Wendy Frew and Leana Liota.
Speaker 3: Fru's crew crewe hashtag FRUS crew.
Speaker 2: I think the leadership of POI is going to be massive, and that side she she's a player for me that's really come on. I think just only only in the last probably year, I reckon she's made a real shift. For a long time, she was kind of there all thereabouts, but she got in the fans last year and she's really made the most of your opportunity. And you watch her play. She involves herself in every pass. She likes to get every second ball, and she's a little bit bubbyish kind of at times. I look at her and go, well, that's theather lines Bubby would run. She's fit, I think. And as you say, you bring in Heifen, and I reckon, they'll move Poy back to wing attack, put Heafen and that's what I would do. Hefen in the center, and that'll be a team that will challenge some of the big ones.
Speaker 4: Can I change my picks now?
Speaker 5: You imagine the speed that's going to happen through that mid court. But I also like with Steel though, and again I now go back to the coaches. Is Wendy Freu and Leana Liosha. That is a really I think that's a really good combination, Wendy fru is starting to bring back that steel, that sting, that mentality of the South, you know. And she said in it, you know, keep going, you know, we want to you know, it's not just about the win. We want to also put in the performance. And Leana I really rated her with the England team when she came up with them, not just in how they performed, but just what she had to say to them during the breaks. And I look at that Steel team and they say, sometimes it may not be pretty, it may be boring. I'm going, oh, that's words we've heard in the past, and it's really working for them. So yeah, so yeah, I'm sure you're going to change your pics next week.
Speaker 4: I want to I shall stick with the mystics, even though I did say they're going to be third.
Speaker 2: But we need to have confidence that these teams will come good. Well, let's look at other international news in the last couple of days. Let's head across the tesman. Simon mckinnis wonderful player. I played against her for most of my career.
Speaker 4: Could you keep up with the boy?
Speaker 3: She was hard.
Speaker 2: Someone that was so she's quite little, but she's she's fast, and she's strong, and she would just yeah, get the ball off me.
Speaker 3: And it was just like, oh, get away from me.
Speaker 4: Someone.
Speaker 3: She was an amazing wing defense.
Speaker 2: She's been the coach of the Vixens for what thirteen years, is stepping down at the end of the year, so that's.
Speaker 3: Who's going to be replacing her. Bit of talk.
Speaker 4: I just I just remember when we were the A and Z Championship was, you know, and we were you know, we would cross over and I'd go and I went out to introduce myself and oh my god, she nearly crushed my hand. But I thought, oh, but I don't know. Look, they say, well, are you going to retire?
Speaker 5: They say, yeah, I know reasonably. Well, yes, I've coached a little bit with her. I did with the Vixen's years and years ago. Yeah. I went over there and also met her at at Norma's eightieth, which was really interesting. So and I listened to her then and I'm going, oh, you know, I don't know where you're coming from right now as to where she sits and appreciate coaching has changed, your philosophy stay the same, but it's quite well, you know, the word player's sender coaching now, so the players have a lot of involvement with the whole thing, and I think she's at a time now and enjoyment factor came into as well. I'm not saying it's not enjoying what she's doing now, but she believes in the way she has done it, it's not working for them at the moment, and so she's taking now the stance to say, listen, you know, it is time for me to go. Whether she wanted to actually nail state it to the media right now, who knows. But it makes sense to start, obviously now looking for another coach and you know, let's just really work together to finish the season off and boys, some of the people that are coming out of the wood works right now. But I'd like to think it would go to someone a bit like here, you know, not necessary, younger person. We need experience, absolutely, but someone that is going to come through in a pathway for a period of time.
Speaker 3: Dylan is it next hip? Yes, the Swifts. He was a name that was touted.
Speaker 2: But I just love the interview that someone said, because that's sitting at the bottom second of the boss the ladder of the Sun Corp. And she just said at the end of the day she said, I think we just need to go to the pub times when you're losing. That's the best thing to do as a team, to go the pub. But a bit of team bonding at the pub. She was always good fun someone as well in Teams ninety five World Cup. I remember when we lost. We lost to South Africa, didn't we didn't even make the final that year. The fans and I remember seeing the Australians having the gold medals around the necks and partying big time and someone was in there with cath Harvey, William, Carissa Delwood Tombs. So she's always been been good fun. So hopefully she went to the pub this week and had a good catch up with her team and the swift stend, the Grace effect continues.
Speaker 4: They're not lost, they have not lost, but I have I've been what I think, I've watched every game, but it's not just no wiky effect. Oh my goodness, that team is humming. I mean, how's being wiki Almost like a dream combination. I mean, whoa, and you've got a salute. The woman at the other end of the court, Sarah Klow. I've never seen her play so well I've never liked her, I have to say, only because she's fierce and she looks you know, always very aggressive. But that team.
Speaker 3: Goalkeepers do from Australia, just be fair.
Speaker 4: And the other one who probably actually the whole team, you know, Briani Akle has just you know, got them humming. And I have to say, Madame is there every game. Well, you can't miss her. She's sitting there and thinking, oh, now I wonder what's going on here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, because I thought, oh no, you'll sit behind the bench. You know, I have a bit of a problem with her actually being on the bench. But yeah, no, she's happily involved myself. Is it just because of the Grace Noirky effect? But no, no, no, she's smart because she's citing all these other teams in action as well. I mean, let's keep all this in perspective. It isn't just about her helping them and indirectly and this is internationally. Don't forget that You've got English players and your Jamaicans there as well. So she's citing everything from over there, you know. And we talk often about the Grace Nowiki effect. You know, is she going to be available while I think read this, you know, just watch the space really because at the moment, can we do without it? And you indicated that as warms, you're going to be our next you know. And I'm not no disrespect to her, but you know, do we need grace Nowiki, well Swifts do.
Speaker 3: So the answer is yet, we certainly do. I love during the week she was cultured.
Speaker 2: She cultured that her Swifts players by introducing fijoas to them and it was if you'n't seen them on the socials, some of them have never eaten a fijour.
Speaker 3: Before and wow, very fat.
Speaker 2: With overwhelming consensus I think was that they were Okay, I like the fis. So she's yeah, doing some good stuff over there. Okay, before we go, let's just quickly locked around three quick picks. So firstly, Stars up against Pulse. Who are we going?
Speaker 3: I'm going to go.
Speaker 2: I'm going to think that the Pulse are going to come good because they can't play two weeks badly in a row.
Speaker 4: I think, right, well, ask the Stars.
Speaker 3: My confidence has really taken a hit here.
Speaker 4: You've got to be strong in it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be strong and go the Pulse. Yvonne, what are you going to do. Oh so yeah, that's quite.
Speaker 5: That is a really hard one.
Speaker 4: It honestly is.
Speaker 5: I mean, I if you look from the weeks just being i'd say Stars, yeah, you know, and you can say they're recovering. No, they showed themselves what they can do. You know, are are the poles going to make the same mistakes?
Speaker 4: But the cross I'm going to.
Speaker 2: I changed, okay with Stars, any gen Stars, Stars.
Speaker 3: Magic, tactics.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely going tactics, tactics, tactics and steal mystics. I think this will be a good game, yes, Internedin, but I'm going to go mistakes me too.
Speaker 4: Oh, we're all going the same way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you're going to keep that in perspective, and you know it has Mystics played at their best, I don't think so. I don't think they have. And so yeah, i'd be expecting them to win. And this home court advantage, it's not there really anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's hope I can at least get one peck this this this way. Well that's it from us for another week. Plenty of good Nettie chat today, and as we hit into round three, be sure to stay up to date on Skysport and of course TV n Z Plus for your Saturday games, for all AMZI Premiership.
Speaker 3: Netball, and of course for all the debriefing.
Speaker 2: Tune into Inside Nettie on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us tonight our super soar
Speaker 3: Until next week, Marty wa