Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks nb's voice of Football Jason Paine and Bonny Jensen. Hi there and welcome into a fresh episode of Football Fever. This is your weekly podcast covering off all things to do with New Zealand football, including the A League men's and women's competitions, keep's overseas and our national teams. I'm Jason Pine Hello, Bonnie Jensen.
Speaker 2: Kyota Piney.
Speaker 1: It's Derby Week, Derby week it is. We're looking forward. In fact, I don't know whether we should look back at all, though maybe we should just look forward to Saturday at Mount Smart. We will do that across the podcast. Obviously high excitement in the fan bases of both Auckland FC and Wellington Phoenix for Derby number three on Saturday at Go Media. As we build towards it, though, let's look back over the weekend. We're both the teams played as to the Wellington Phoenix women. We might as well do this in chronological order, starting on Friday night, the Wellington Phoenix men trying to break their Amy Park who Doo and were unable to. They now haven't won there in twenty three games A one newl lost to Melbourne victory on a sometimes wet Friday night. Your overall thoughts on this.
Speaker 3: One, Yeah, I mean it's so hard to critique this team Piney, who were quite you know, quite young and quite an experience and injury ridden to some extent. Obviously great to see Tim Payne and Alex Rufer back, but yeah, it's it's pretty dire for the team this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a really hard watch. I just thought they were, particularly in the first half, very passive. Not a shot on goal in the first half, only four overall in the whole game. Victory had sixteen by comparison, even when the starting eleven came out, and I know it wasn't set up this way, but there were seven players in the starting eleven also seven of the outfield ten who you could class as defenders Tim Payne, Scott Wolton, Isaac Hugh, Sam Sutton, Matt sheer In, Corbyn Piper and Lucas Kelly Healed. Although Sheridan, Piper and Kelly Hill did play further forward. I would have liked to see Nathan Walker out there. I thought he was good against the Mariners down in christ Church in the game down there. It just didn't feel as though there was any attacking intent at all, particularly in the first half. In fact, none really until they were one nil down.
Speaker 3: No, there's no spark in this team this season, which is such a shame given what they had last last season, you know, and I hate to keep continue referencing that successful season they had, but you're right, Piney, it was a very defensive minded set up and why they've got the likes of Matt Sheridan, who he does an alright job at the midfield. But you know, when you've got an import like Nagasa on the bench or Nathan Walker, a young kid who's just got a mind to go forward, it is concerning. And I know maybe they were going over to Melbourne to try and see your point or a clean sheet at least, and they came close to that, but it's not kind of the mindset you want for a team that is chasing or should be chasing a playoff spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I get the strategy, but I just think more and more Phoenix fans are now becoming a negative about it. The strategy is to be type defensively, and they are. They're good defensively. They're the third best defensive side in the competition. That's a tick. But the problem is when you fall behind and you've shown next to no attacking intent, then you know, it just becomes very, very hard to get back into the game. I liked the fact that he brought on Nathan Walker and Luke Brooksmith and they you know, they started to look like they could create some things. And cost of Barbaruss has had a good opportunity, and so did Brooksmith himself. But I would just love to see that happen from the start exactly.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's kind of a matter of what if it had rowhas been for the whole season and been a support to play alongside alongside Costa. He's so isolated up there on his own and such a good striker to kind of have a bit of a wasted season as he's as he's having, I feel like Chief he still can't get his head around this midfield to support Costa underneath. But yeah, I like what Nathan Walker does when he comes on, same with Luke Brooksmith, and I want to shout out again alb Kelly Heilden goal because he's actually you know, helping the Phoenix defensively.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean he's been playing well. I think defensively, like I say, they've been good. You look at them and I thought Isak Hughes had another quite solid game. Scott Wotson is always going to provide that for you. Like I say, they're good defensively. But if we go back up top, just four goals in their last seven games. Now, one of those was a penalty and two were from corners. So just one goal from open play in seven games. It tells the tail of a side that just isn't creating anywhere near enough to win matches and to get themselves into the top six. Conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think you look at the difference last year they were scoring a few more goals, but the Phoenix have never been a super clinical side. Obviously Costa was scoring in big moments, but they did have that defense defense down the other end, the likes of Alex Paulson and goal and we mentioned, you know how good their defense has been this season all things considered. But I do you know think the goal they conceded against Melbourne probably wasn't the tidies they were. It is a bit of it looked like a bit of mixed communication at the back between Hughes and pain and it's just those little errors letting this side down at the moment from getting points away and at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, the goal came from a from a it was an attacking move by Wellington. They're at the other end and then they lost the ball in the opposition the area. Melbourne victory broke quickly cross into the area. Nicos Virgos headed home the goal after fifty seven minutes and from there, like I say, it did actually put a bit of a spark under Wellington. They gave it a bit of a crack after that, weren't able to score a goal and therefore came away with no points. To add insult to injury, Sam Sutton was booked right at the end in the eighty ninth minute and that is his fifth yellow card of the season, which means he'll miss the derby. You know, he's been very good. I think Sam Sutton this season he's kind of made that left back spot his own. Last year he's kind of in and out of there with Lucas Kelly Held also playing there. But I think Sam Sutton's been good. But five yellow cards means he's probably going to miss what he is. He's going to miss one of the biggest games of the season.
Speaker 3: It's crazy that we think of Sam Sutton as one of the most experienced and key players in this Wellington Phoenix side, and you know he rightly deserves it, but it just shows that the back of depth this squad has an experience this season and you're right, Piney, Sam Sutton's been so good. So it is a shame for him to miss the derby, missed the occasion for himself as a Kiwi footballer, but also it's a shame for the Phoenix because they're really going to need him against Auckland.
Speaker 1: Indeed, well they won't have him and they will have though by the looks of things. Alex Rufer back on. It was great to see him play his first minute since the back end of December, twenty three minutes off the bench. Hopefully he can start in the derby. Tim Payne played ninety minutes after returning the previous game for twenty five against Brisbane. So good to have Alex Rutherer and Tim Payne back there. And a new signing as well, Portuguese attacking midfielder Francisco Chico. They call him Giraldez. He's on loan at Wellington for the rest of this season. By the sounds of it, will play some part in the derby. I think Phoenix fans are just very keen to see what he can do in an attacking sense. I mean, I think it's a big ask to say, say, look, come in and change the season for the team. But well, when you sign an attacking midfielder and you don't get a lot of goals, I think Phoenix fans should be right the optimistic about what he can provide.
Speaker 2: Oh I am.
Speaker 3: And it's that link, that key link you need between your defensive end to the attacking end, and that's what I think is the main thing that Phoenix are missing right now for support underneath Costa. So I'm very optimistic and yeah, no doubt, as you say, the fans will be too.
Speaker 1: Okay, So next up is the derby. We'll get to that in the moment. Just a word on Amy Park. I was lucky enough to be at this game. Actually on Friday, I had a weekend over in Melbourne. Amy Park is a great venue. It's a really really good place for a football game. It's rectangular, it's easy to get to it. You know, Melbourne's pretty compact when it comes to its sporting precinct. Amy Park is not far from the MCG, not far from the from Rod Laver Arena, the tennis center there as well, so it's a real sporting precinct. I really liked being at Amy Park. It's a cool ground, but for the Phoenix a bit of a it's not a happy hunting ground at all. As I say, they haven't won there in twenty three games, so it leaves them tenth nineteen points with eleven games to go. There's six points outside the top six, but they have a game in hand over Sydney FC, who are sixth on twenty five and also a game in hand on Western United who are fifth on twenty six points. And other words, with thirty three points still on the table, the top six is still alive. But at the risk of repeating ourselves, Bonnie, they simply have to start scoring goals to pick up points.
Speaker 3: They do, but I am quite optimistic there Pine when you say there's eleven games leave to play. For some reason, I thought we were nearing closer to the end of the season, so there's still a bit of time. And who knows what Chico can do when he comes in. But yeah, they're going to need to start scoring.
Speaker 1: Yeah they are. It's as simple as that. They are going to have to start score and goals to make progress up the table. It's you know, it's a truism of football from you know, from every corner of the globe. You've got to score goals. Yes, defense wins championships. And we're going to talk a bit about Auckland FC's defense in a moment. But for Wellington Phoenix right now, they need points and they need them in clumps and to get those points they need to score some goals. So next up for them the Derby, more on that in the moment. Then Melbourne City at home, Western United away and Sydney FC away. Look, all the games are difficult now, but at least in the Phoenix's favor, they're playing teams who are above them on the table. Therefore they can you know, with wins, they can help to overhaul those those teams or start to overhaul them. But also you know, stymy those teams above them from picking up points themselves. Look, the A league with the top six format, you stay in the game mathematically anyway until late in the season. So look, while it's not home for absolute must win conversations. Now, this is certainly the point of the season where the Phoenix have to start picking up some points and do that by scoring some goals. This is football fever. So let's go to Auckland f C, who having no problem picking up points. Another three for them out at tarn Eat that's Western Melbourne. Saturday afternoon. They beat Western United too, nil revenge for the four nil last before Christmas, which is looking more and more like an absolute outlier, just an aberration in this Auckland FC season. How windy was it over there? It just looked awful to play and I mean, you know, as a player, you'd much rather play in the rain than in the wind, wouldn't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you definitely would much rather play football in the rain. I love playing football in the rain, you know, the balls quick. Anyway, it looked very windy, looked like they were in the middle of a desert and quite cold as well. I think it was about fourteen degrees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looked like a bit of a well, not a great a great venue for playing football, although Western United have made it a bit of a fortress, but didn't seem to worry Auckland Warry Auckland f C too much. No Louis Vastrata. He was suspended for this one, having picked up his fifth yellow card last time out. But Philippe guy Goss came back in and they didn't miss a beat. Nanda Pineker, who who had that ankle injury in the last game against MacArthur. We weren't sure how long he was going to be out for that turned out the answer was he wasn't out at all, so he was back in there. Gizumo Mai and Max Marta with the goals and then they closed it up in the second half. Just a very workman like performance again from this Auckland team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a bit of a statement when I had my hesitations about how they would go given that defeat before Christmas, and you know we spoke about at the time Piney, how good Western United are, and yeah it was. I think it was a clinical game from Auckland f C. Given they didn't have a lot of the position. It was tough conditions. But you know, they prove what they've struggled to do that they can actually, you know, score when they need to, and they scored early goals for once or you know, first half goals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a rarity, hasn't it. Yeah, scoring in the first half, and when you're two nil up and then you've got the wind as well at your back, you can kind of just manage the game out, which is what they did. You're right about the possession. Western United had two thirds of the possession and seventy percent of the possession in the second half. Apart from the two goals that Auckland got, they had no other shots on target. Alex Paulson had to make three, you know, pretty good saves from Western United's attacks. But you look at it and you say, you take a two nil win any day, any day of the any day of the week, in any league in the world. If you can win two nil away from home, you just take it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you win it. Scrappy, you know that. It's it's bodies on the line type situation and finding incredible goals like Gmo mis one and just incredibly another incredible performance from Alex Paulson. I think he's just such a good goalkeeper and I think Auckland f.
Speaker 2: C oh a lot of their success.
Speaker 3: Obviously, we know how good they are defensively, to Alex Paulson and that he's going to be missed next season. But yeah, I'm happy. I'm sure Steve Corik is happy with the one. It's not a not a clean performance, but they got the job done on the road.
Speaker 1: Another clean sheet nine and sixteen games now best defense in the A League. Just twelve goals conceded in sixteen games, and you remember four of those were in that one game against against Western United, So what's that eight goals in the other fifteen games. It's a remarkable defensive performance. You're right about Alex Paulson. Look, I think a lot of people had their reservations when he signed for Bournemouth and then got loans back to Walkland FC, what that would mean for him. But I reckon what they've said to him is go back, play well and then come back to Bournemouth. Well he has come back. He's playing brilliantly and I think you're right, Bonnie Hill. Well, at the end of the season he'll go back to Bournemouth, Michael Vaude will come into the team. But yeah, Paulson best keeper in the league. I don't think there's any argument.
Speaker 3: No, he's so good and you know, you look at the Phoenix goal that they conceded on the weekend, and you do kind of wonder maybe Alex Paulson would get to that, or a lot of the goals the Phoenix have conceded this season that have lost them points.
Speaker 2: Alex Paulson probably would have saved that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think, I mean, all around, all across the board, the Auckland FC players are doing what they need to, whether it's Nate Armadeno coming off the bench and scoring or Alex Paulson on the other end, but very very good keeper and they're going to miss him next season.
Speaker 1: They well a couple of other bits and pieces around this game. They're away record now Auckland FC is pretty impressive, as is their home record, but away from home they've played eight one to five, drawn to and lost just one. That was the loss over in Western Australia against Perth Glory. Only Adelaide have a better away record. All sorts of suggestions at the start of the season. Weren't there about a lucky draw for Auckland They had all these home games in a row. People say, wait till they have to go away to teams or they are they're actually they're doing okay. You know, there they are putting to bed any suggestions of a lucky draw. Auckland FC could win the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know, I thought. That's when I came into work this morning. I was like, are they actually going to win it? Obviously it's what They're five points clear now at the top of the table, Adelaide behind them, who they'll play in a fortnight. But it's becoming quite real. And yes, there's still what eleven games left this season, but you know, they seem to just grow each game and kind of proving the haters or any doubts.
Speaker 2: Completely completely wrong.
Speaker 3: And I also think, you know, they whether they even if they win the Premiers Play, which they're on track to do, they're so good in big moments, is no reason why they can't go all the way in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: So it is pretty exciting. We're not going to get ahead of ourselves, of.
Speaker 1: Course, no. But I was thinking exactly the same thing this morning when I was driving in. I don't know at what point in the season I thought to myself, look, we need to start thinking about Auckland f C as genuine title contenders for both the Premier's Plate and for the A League Championship. I think now was that time. They have thirty six points from sixteen games, five points clear as you say, Bonnie of second placed Adelaide, who they play in a couple of weeks, and if they win that then the distance becomes even bigger between the two. Just by means of comparison, after sixteen games last year, the Mariners, who finished top had twenty eight points. Auckland have thirty six at the same stage. And if we go back to the Western Sydney Wanderer's introduction into the A League, which is the one we have been comparing Auckland FC to. When Western Sydney came in to the league their first season twenty twelve thirteen, they won the Premier's Plate. They didn't win the Grand Final, but they won the Premier's Plate. After sixteen games in that season they had twenty six points. Auckland have thirty six points by every metric, by every comparison, Auckland FC are on track for something really special. And you talk about the big moments, they're all so terrifically difficult to beat at home. So if you finish top and you earn yourself home advantage, through the final series then they have to be favorite.
Speaker 3: It's actually pretty exciting though, are we now it's starting to talk about where they're going to play the final if they have to host it. Is it going to be at Eden Park? Is it going to be at Comdia? Definitely conversations. I'm sure you know, the board or the manager's Nick Becker CEO is probably starting to consider or put on as radar at least I think you know, obviously those points and those stats pioneer incredible, but for me, it's the form and it's the form on the pitch and the depth that they're starting to build and having options off the bench and players coming off the bench proving themselves that That's what really excites me is they learn from their lessons and you know they're they're growing.
Speaker 1: You look at the next few games as well. The derby will talk about that in the moment. Let's just leave that off to one side. Then Adelaide at home, who are a good team, but as I say, hard to beat Auckland at home. They're Newcastle away, they're eleventh Central Coast at home, they're ninth Brisbane away their bottom Western Sydney at home they're currently eighth, so by the time we get to early April, they might have signed the thing up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I think.
Speaker 3: You know, we talk about the derby this week and I'm pretty sure I said on the last podcast that I want Wellington Phoenix to win, but now I wonder if I've changed my mind. So I hope that, you know, Auckland f C can can go all the way and secure with the three points over a team like Adelaide.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It is crazy how soon it is becoming. A lot of people are t all looking up here in Auckland. Naturally, the derby will be great, but it's next week's game against Adelaide that's more exciting because it is that top of the table clash. So yeah, definitely a big kind of fortnine in a few weeks coming for Auckland FC. And you're right pining it could be a done deal very very soon.
Speaker 1: Football Fever with Jason Vine and Bonnie Jensen. Okay, let's look at the derby. Form means nothing, absolutely nothing in any derby anywhere in the world. They'll tell you this. There only a week or so ago Everton played Liverpool A Liverpool a top of the Premier League, Everton somewhere down the bottom, but it didn't mean a thing. Everton scored a late goal to draw to two. Form means absolutely nothing going. And yes there is confidence and there is momentum in Auckland FC's camp, and there is not really that kind of momentum or confidence in the Wellington Phoenix camp. But Wellington Phoenix could easily go to go Media on Saturday and win this game.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, and they'll be riled up. You know, Alex Roufo will be back from injury, Tim Payne obviously a few games under his belt. Now, the younger players probably want to make a bit of a point and you know, pitch their case on why they deserve to be there. And I hope the Phoenix come up and they're hungry and they don't just bow down to these seemingly unbeatable Auckland is I hope for the fans, it's a high goal scoring game. And you know, I am still torn and I just said that I want Auckland to maybe win, but now I'm like, ah, but it would be great for the narrative if Wellington win at least one of the derby's.
Speaker 1: Who do you think will win.
Speaker 3: I think Auckland will and I think I'm drawing from the inspiration of the North London Derby and the Woman's Super League. This morning Arsenal versus Tottenham, and Arsenal, who are obviously the stronger team, came out and beat Tottenham five nil, and I fear it could be a similar story.
Speaker 1: See, I don't think it will be. I don't think that it'll be a blowout of that of that capacity, simply because Wellington's defense is pretty good, you know, they, like I said, like we've said a couple of times, they're the third best defense in the league. They don't tend to leak goals in big numbers. They you know, they haven't really been you know, you know, thrashed or smashed by anybody this season. It's just as we've talked about ad nauseum creating the chances. At the other end, I get the feeling this will be another KG affair, and it may be that way because John Klor Taliano might just stick to script and just set his team up to be hard to break down. Auckland FC have not been the greatest attacking side this season. Yes, they're top of the league, but you know, a large part of that, or certainly a significant part, is their defense. They haven't been a free scoring side this season. I think the fans can win the game. I really believe that they can, and I think for the narrative of the season, that would be amazing. We're the first one Auckland winning two Nila and Wellington. The second one was a cracking game at go Media which Auckland won two to one, cost of Barbarusa scoring later on for the Phoenix to make things interesting near the end. I honestly think Wellington can come up there and win the game. It's you know, it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think it would be. I think it would shake and rattle the Auckland f C camp just given you know what we just talked about and how they kind of are on the road to securing that Premierre's plate. I you know, I think if you're a neutral fan like like we're supposed to be, it would you can kind of see why you want Auckland to win and win comfortably and continue the momentum. But by any means, I don't think they can take the Wellington Phoenix easy. I think you know Wellington and what ranked eighth on the tenth on the table, and if they were looking at Brisbane Raw for example, who were tenth, they would probably take that game a little bit easier. But because it is Wellington, you treat them like a second place team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what you said, well, there's no way in the world Welling and are coming up there to lie down. They're not going to They're not going to usher in Auckland f c's coronation is as the top side in New Zealand. There's no way in the world they will come up there with anything other than just a lion hearted desire to play party pooper, you know. And look, having said all of that, I think if you're hover above it, you say Auckland f C are favorites. There's no question about that. I think. I think you know, even the most you know, even the most one eyed of Phoenix fans, would would accept that they are not favorite going into this game. But I think that's what makes it even more, you know, a more compelling proposition that that you know, around the world every week in football matches, funny things happen, you know, funny things happen what if you know, what if how Chico comes in and proves to be you know, a real slippery proposition for Auckland f C's defense to deal with. What if Costa decides that it's this is his time to really you know, find some form. What if just something completely you know, you know, unbelievable happens and Lucas Kelly Heal gets a goal or something like that. I don't know. That's the thing is like you can talk about these storylines and you can say, well, that's completely you know, completely fanciful. But football just writes these storylines every week right around the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, exactly, And that's what's so exciting about the derby and that's what we've never had in football in New Zealand, so it is, it is very exciting. And what I say about you know, Auckland f C eating the wind to continue on their momentum towards the Premier's plate, you could argue the same for the Phoenix. So we're trying to push a playoff spot and right there, right now they could do with a massive confidence boost and they're not going to get that as much as they will as they would have win against Auckland f C.
Speaker 1: That's it, Bonnie. You know, if they win this week and go on to make the six, they will look at that this week as a potential turning point. Oh right, you know they could. You know, they're not going to jump into the top six on the strength of one win alone this weekend. But what it will do is is, as you say, give them confidence, give them something to spring board off. If we look at I know we're jumping around a bit here, but if we look at at Wellington's next games. We already did that before. But Melbourne City, Western United, Sydney FC, Western Sydney Wonders. It's a hard road to hope for them, you know, but a win over Auckland away would give them the belief that anything is possible. Full house expected. I don't think you can get a ticket to this game. You might, there might be a few hundred floating around, but I think it'll all be absolutely chokers on the weekend. Had to look at the long range forecast, fine and twenty five degrees. One of those wonderful, humid Auckland days. That makes us all sweet, those of us coming from outside outside of Auckland, and even some of you who live in Auckland. Look, I just think it's I just hope it's a great occasion again the last one that Mount Smart was. I just hope this one is too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hope they treat it the same, even though you know, some fans might see it as despite everything we've just talked about, might see it as a write off, you know, Auckland at the top of the table, Phoenix near the bottom. I think it is still a very competitive match ahead and they do still, you know, treat it with the respect it deserves, like the skydivers coming in and the flyovers and whatnot. So yeah, it will be atn exciting occasion party. What do you think about Auckland FC raising the ticket price?
Speaker 1: I didn't know that that had happened.
Speaker 3: Yes, so they've bumped up the price for the derby, so it's more expensive. Obviously it's sold out now, but tickets were more expensive and not buy a whole lot, from about five to six dollars more for general admission and then it gets up to about twenty dollars more for the more premium tickets for the derby, So it's more expensive to go to the derby than it is to the game against Adelaide next week.
Speaker 1: It's market forces, isn't it. Supply and demand. You know, any business in the world will tell you that if something is in high demand, you can charge a bit more for it. I think if you bought a season ticket at the start of the season, you'd be laughing, wouldn't you, because you know you've you've paid, you've paid, you know your money, and you've got your ticket. I don't mind it, I must say. I know some people will say that's you know, that's that's taking advantage, but look, they're a business like any other business. Auckland FC. Yes they've got a billionaire owner, but I'm sure he still wants them to run the football club, you know, in in an economically effective fashion. I don't mind it. You know, once we get to the playoffs, I think apl set the ticket prices, so you know, I think season ticket holders get the first opportunity to buy them. But from my understanding, you know, your your season ticket doesn't get you finals tickets. It gets you the option and first option to buy them, but it doesn't it doesn't get included in your season ticket, if know what I mean. So I get the feeling apl Once we get to find the football will probably bump those prices up to what to similar to what you're talking about here for the remaining ones in the derby. So I've got no real I've got no real problem with it. Yeah, you know, I don't think it will matter. I think that's tool. They'll still pack it out on Saturday afternoon. We'll both be there five o'clock Go Media Stadium on Saturday. In fact, it's probably the only place to be on Saturday afternoon football fever. Let's move to the Wellington Phoenix Women who last night, late last night, New Zealand time. We're over in Perth playing Perth Glory. A two to one loss for the Wellington Phoenix Women. Perth won head after thirty one minutes. Olivia Ferguson scored her third goal of the season to make it one all at halftime, but Tiana Jaber with an own goal in the seventy first which eventually gave the Perth Glory side the win. I know I said this last week, and I know exactly what you're going to say, but I thought the Phoenix deserved to get something out of this, but they didn't.
Speaker 3: No, and that's the thing, like we can't keep saying they deserved it, because at the end of the day, they didn't get the win and they should have won. They're not clinical enough, you know, with the amount of opportunities that they're creating.
Speaker 1: They did create some opportunities, eleven shots on goal and Perth had the same. Possession was pretty even noehl saill Winham, which you know was always going to take away a little bit of creativity. But yeah, they I don't know that they're not frustrating to watch, but sometimes she just you watch them and you just wish there was just a slightly better end product for this team. I think Olivia Ferguson's a serviceable player, but she had a couple of really good opportunities. She did get a goal, but I feel like she should score more goals than she does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like Olivia Ferguson's mongrel.
Speaker 3: I think she's you know, she's driving for the ball and she's putting pressure on the backs and the goalkeeper when they kick out. And obviously she missed a cracker of a chance in the first half. She redeemed herself later on scoring that goal, but I feel like the Phoenix are potentially lacking a little bit of mongrel. I feel like there's a lot of individualistic type performances, you know, someone like Lara Wall and an incredible player, but potentially could link up with other players a little bit more. Annale Longo obviously great in that midfield. I feel like she's the only one really linking. But still, you know, too many defensive eras conceding those goals, and I think, you know, they could be a little bit more hungry. They know their position in the league, they know they're a good side, and Paul Temple's you know, explained in the past it's hard to win on the road and all that, but I don't think they can use that as an excuse anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what they've done. That they've arrived at this point of the season with an opportunity now to make the top six, because as we've talked about it, probably for the last month and a half, March is going to be massive for this side. They find themselves eighth at the moment, four points outside the top six, only four points outside the top six, seven games to go, so still twenty one points on the table and there are only four points out there the top six. They get the chance, most of them to refresh now because there's an international break, and then in March they have four or five games at home. They play Adelaide at home, Western Sydney at home, then they're away at SYDNEYFC at home against the Mariners and Melbourne City. So they have a prime opportunity given the fact that at home they've averaged over two points a game with four wins, a drawing a loss, as opposed to on the road point seven of a point per game with two wins, of drawer and seven losses. They are an excellent team at home. They've given themselves the chance. Now. I guess the time for excuses is gone.
Speaker 3: I think with that lineup Parney, just looking at it, you know, I'd expect to draw against Adelaide in the next three games home and away, Western Sydney, Sydney FC, Central Coast, a win at all, you know, for all of those games, and Melbourne City will be tough. But at that point, hopefully they've built up a rhythm to at least compete against them and they are a good side. Maybe this international break players going off to the football ferns and you know, a bit of chance to rest and kind of rally is what the team needs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, it's going to be such an interesting watch during March when they have those four games at Pottydoor Parky in Melbourne City. I mean they're good. You just see Mardy unaspect my his goal. If we kid fun didn't my god, she's on you know man good Wellington Phoenix use her at the moment. You know, yes they're not. They're scoring goals, Wellington not at not at a flood. But you know their top scorer is Minigh Eily at Olivia Ferguson Andale Longo with three each. I mean Murty unexpecting On was only got six, but it's still you know, she's still very effective for a team that is leading the league. Looking forward. Actually you're see Maddy unexpect my back in back in Pottydoor at the back end of March. But look they they've given themselves the opportunity and look, I think if you said to Paul Temple you'll read which the end of February and the international break, four points outside the top six with seven games to go, he probably would have taken it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and I do wonder why though Paul Temple isn't starting Emma Main. I think she she too, has scored a couple of goals for the Phoenix's season coming off the bench, and she even last season when she'd come off the bench, she was scoring goals.
Speaker 2: And that wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Hurt to change up that front line, especially when they're start needing to start, you know, be a little bit more clinical, so options there. But I would yeah, like them to finish games off.
Speaker 1: You know, I agree on him. I agree on Emma Main. I think she should come into the starting side. She's come off the bench in the last nine games. I think it's time to change that up. I think she comes in probably for Mania Elliott and you know links up with Jarlay and Ferguson, especially at home, Bonnie, when you want to get on the front foot. I like the idea of Jarlay, Maine and Ferguson starting together. Yeah, love it all right, Well, we'll send that off to Paul Temple. I he listens to the podcast, I'm pretty sure he'll get ball. Paul, we're lobbying for a main Jarley Ferguson front three.
Speaker 2: Let's see's get on the main train.
Speaker 1: Why not. You mentioned that most of the players will have the chance for a bit of a break, some won't. Mackenzie, Barry, Munaia, Elliott, Grace Jarlay Andale Longer now joined the Ferns. They have a couple of games against Costa Rica. Are this coming Sunday and the following Wednesday? And Tiana Jaber I love this called up for Lebanon. She's going to go. Yeah, she's going to go to Nepal to play in a four nation tournament and cat Man do. This is brilliant part of Lebanon's preparations for the upcoming Women's Asian Cup qualifiers, which are due to start in June. I think Tiana Jaber has been probably behind Annaly Longo, I think Wellington's most consistent player this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's been really good. Obviously asad from that own goal that she conceded at the weekend, I think yeah, she's She's been solid at the back and arguably stronger than Onelike McKenzie berry, who's been a rock for the Phoenix for some time.
Speaker 1: Indeed, all right, so we wish the Wellington Phoenix women's players who are heading off on international duty all the best, so no game for them this weekend. So for the Wellington Phoenix Women, as I say, their next game will be on the second of March when they host Adelaide United. Who is Jose Bonnie are a good side there in third place at the moment, so maybe even just a point there would be a good start to what is shaping to be an extremely important calendar month of March as the Phoenix Woman look to make the playoffs for the first time. That's us on the podcast for today. Will continue to countdown towards the derby on Saturday, lots of content across news talks. He'd be in the New Zealand Herald as we are head into this one. Bonnie, have an excellent week and we'll catch up on a week from now reviewing whatever it is that happens in this derby on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Marty Wois Piney we'll see then.
Speaker 1: This is football Fever.