Speaker 1: Live from the ex Bord Bear Garden Studios. Sho're listening to the BYC where we'll be reflecting on the surprise standdown of Skipper Tim Salvee and the hiding and flicted on our boys over in Sri Lankap. We try to when we can take the positives out of any given match. Apart from Cleaver, of course, it gets the knives out at the minutest show of weakness, but we are hard pressed on this occasion to find any shining light. It was a comprehensive defeat and even though we showed some fight in the second innings that merely highlighted how poorly we batted in the first. It's hard not to look ahead with a fair amount of pessimism as we eye the mighty Indians, where a three zip humiliation looks very much on the cards. Well, fellas er Tim Salvee standing down? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can I read? From the New Zealand two? By all, Tim Sauvie has stepped down as Black Caps Test captain, with Tom Lathan confirmed to take up the role full time. Latham, who was captain the Test side on nine previous occasions, will lead a fifteen strong Test squad including Sauvi, to India next Friday. Savvia has played one hundred and two Tests for the black Caps, is debuting in two thousand and eight, claiming three hundred and eighty two wickets, second only to Sir Richard Hadley. It goes on to say that he is captain and fallen Tests with six wins, six losses to draws, which is a fairly seven split.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty good record for a New Zealand skipper actually.
Speaker 2: Since taking over from Cam Williamson in December twenty twenty two, and he said the decision to step down was made in the best interests of the team. There are a few anodyne quotes about how he can best serve the team by concentrating on taking wickets and getting back into form. He will, and he will give Tom Tiger, Tom Latham the head boy has.
Speaker 1: Absolute support, absolute.
Speaker 2: Support and backing, just as Tom did to him.
Speaker 1: Well, look, you know I made a comment on an acc post Paul Ford. He's been an absolute stallion for this New Zealand side. He's been a great player and has quite an impressive record. And you know we pointed out on the BYC that his last three series have just been dreadful, and you know, and when you look at lightful like I e. Henry versus salve You've got to say that Henry's probably the more form player. Gives us more options there. I mean, is this the end for Tim Salvee or you know, he obviously wants to carry on as a player, but is it time to move?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an interesting one. It's a bit vague I think as to whether he is going to continue, will he be selected, will he be available, does he want to play in India or does he not want to be that sort of ghost haunting the team as Tom Latham takes the reins. Important to note that the Latham appointment is not permanent. It's only for this Indian series, so kind of leaves the door a jarft for some more change down the track. Potentially. I imagine he'd be pretty I mean, if I just look at statistics, and I don't know if he's motivated by statistics. I think he's genuinely motivated by wanting to help New Zealand win matches. But you know, he is three hundred and eighty two not out on the test wicket pilot the moment, so the lure of four hundred. The Richard Hadley number looks four three two looks a bit far off, to be honest, He's got a good average in India, but yeah, will he go there? Look, I don't know. I feel like he won't go to India. Have some time and then he'll be really keen to play that home series, but maybe not play all those matches against England and a bit of a farewell over sort of in December for Tim South the absolute store of our game, particularly in test.
Speaker 1: Cricket, Dylan, do we have that luxury with Tim to sort of let him decide I may or may not play. I mean it feels to me like it's time to move on. Well, and that's from a fan of Tim Southey's.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I'm a little bit confused about is they're very high up. In their NCCA press release, they made it pretty clear he was going to India, right. Yes, they would pick a fifteen man squad and it would include Tom Southey, And I think they're pretty anxious to avoid any perception of a palace coup in some respects like we had with the Taylor McCullum situation. And then Taylor, who I thought was maybe not the best advised back then, didn't go to South Africa and it looked a little petulant. And then we had that whole thing about reintegrating Ross into the team and it became just a saga in itself. I think they'd be pretty anxious to avoid any perception that there's something similar going on here.
Speaker 3: It feels like a humble act from Southeast. Actually it genuinely does to me.
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess it wasn't tenuous in tenable Sorry, him continuing as captain with the form that he had correct because you just couldn't keep picking a bowler who at max was taking out one wicket for innings. So I still think there is a role for him to play, particularly in home conditions. He's super fit, Like what is he thirty five, thirty six? He I think has got another summer in him, home summer in him at least is it time. That's a different issue as to his fitness, as to whether it's actually just a time to promote players that might be better equipped though, sure, and we have now got a coterie of fast bowlers with Matt Henry, who's not young himself. No, but it was in good form. Willow Rowke's obviously a weapon. Ben Sears maybe not as high on Ben Sears as some of the others, but like he's definitely got something about him. And then there's Carle Jamison come back into the next too. Well, we're really lacking though, and we can get onto this somewhere down the track, but we're really lacking a fast bowling or a seam bowling all round her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think, you know, in terms of like for like, I think we've all been and it's been the situation throughout Tim Salvey's career where he's really frustrated with the bat because there was always this feeling that he had way more potential with the bat than he was showing, and it's never quite come to fruition. I think Henry offers more with a bat as well. And I take your point Paul Ford that in many ways it looks a humble act and it is, but also I sort of feel like the writing was on the wall and he had to kind of fall on his sword anyway, despite the fact that he made that decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very fair, And I mean, if I guess, you know, you can throw a whole lot of numbers around, but if we do have a quick block, you know, he's been un his career average five of the last seven years, but in the last in twenty twenty four, you know, he's against a career average of twenty nine point nine. He's averaged seventy three with the ball. So yeah, it's really fallen off the cliff. And of course some of those Test matches were at home where you'd think he would excel. Some of those Test matches, you know, the most recent ones obviously in Sri Lanka, where we thought he would do well. He's got a terrific record on the subcontinent. He's won test matches for US over there, you know, and we've talked before about his record in India. But the other thing I was going to mention is it did feel and maybe this is coincided with formal, you know, rather than being a causation, but who knows, It does feel like captaincy weighed heavy with him. And you know, his bowling average blew out by about ten runs since he took the captaincy on you know, that might coincide with form but yeah, it didn't look like he was having a hell of a good time out there for a lot of his for a lot of his runners.
Speaker 2: Captain certainly not the last four tests.
Speaker 1: No, Tom Latham replacement skipper are pretty standard kind of call there. I don't have a massive issue with it. I think he's pretty solid, kind of no nonsense, and I see Dylan Cleaver wincing. But the other thing is, Dylan, where else do you go?
Speaker 2: I reckon there iss options. They just didn't look at it. I think it's a really expedient choice for captaincy and I've got a lot of time for Tom Lathan as a cricketer and as a left hand opening bat. But we've made this call that the guy who's keptaining the team is not in the sort of form where he can command a spot in the team by right, So we're giving it to a guy who's scored two fifties in his past eighteen test in things?
Speaker 1: Yeah, are we point?
Speaker 2: Are we actually addressing the issue here, which is that it's our time if we're going to reset, let's reset.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's not.
Speaker 2: This is sort of like a Bob Konis half of one thing, half of the other kind of situation for me. Yeah, Look, he's averaged less than thirty five and three of the past four calendar years. So we're giving the captaincy from a guy who's clearly out of form to a guy who I would argue is not really doing much to command a certain spot in at eleven himself.
Speaker 1: It's interesting actually when you put it like that. You know, in New Zealand, crickets almost pull forward force into a corner to make some decisions here. And that's why I bring up I brought up the Tim Salvey thing. It feels like we're not quite yet committed to going okay, we need to change our direction here, we need to make some significant changes. There's almost a reluctance to make big changes. Thus you get a Tom Latham scenario. I was skipper.
Speaker 3: I reckon, that's I reckon. There's something in that, Jase. It doesn't feel like this is, you know, fantastic succession planning. Yes, it's succession planning in terms of who's the most obvious person to step in given the current regime. But you know, if you're really looking to change something up to steady the ship, if you will, then yeah, I'm not sure that this is the same decision. I'm not sure that you'd arrive at the same decision decision. What I think though, is that this has come as a bit of a surprise. I mean, we actually play a test mens in India two weeks today. It seems pretty rough to pick. To pick someone else completely out of the blue and say, right, we're going to India in two weeks, you're captain and good luck and kind of that feels that feels pretty unfair. So I think it was a pragmatic decision, a risk averse decision to give the band to Latham for this series, and they do a bit more thinking and a bit more planning and advance of perhaps the home summer and beyond that.
Speaker 1: And you know, Dylan, there's been a lot of criticism about the lack of boldness with the selectors Yep, Yes, Steads and so.
Speaker 2: Forth, and that's which I jump on board with.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this kind of decision, I guess Steady as She Goes reiterates that feeling amongst people, which is they're just not they're just trying to keep the status quo going for as long as possible. Steady as She goes and maybe we need something a little bit different. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we haven't addressed the most fun to been. Problem with this team is that we've gone in the space of a decade from being the most innovative and nimble high performance program going around to being one of the most predictable. Yes, and I would have gone something much bolder. I would have maybe even looked at Darryl Mitchell.
Speaker 1: Now he's outside the box.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't know the internal dynamics of the team. Perhaps perhaps Daryl Mitchell has an intensity to him that might rub some players up the wrong way. I do not know. That's mindless speculation. He could be the most popular blake in the team for all I know. All I know is that it just feels like when they named Thomas the captain today, I just went, ah, right, of course, here we go again. Yeah, that might be grotesquely unfair on Tom Latham, who might, as we're speaking now, be formulating some of the most incredible, intricate, detailed, radical plans to beat India that we've ever seen, and he could be an overwhelming success.
Speaker 3: I believe that.
Speaker 2: It just it just feels a little bit tired.
Speaker 3: Hopefully he's really good mates with Trent Bolt and Neil Wagner and we can get them back and take them over to the artist matches. That would be quite good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting because the other thing, because the other thing about this is right, Yes, you know, we could do some crazy, wacky things, but we shouldn't forget that our this is the unwinding of possibly the greatest seam attach that New.
Speaker 3: Zealand has ever seen, you know, And you know we've seen what three and twenty wickets from Bolt Walk out the door, We've seen two hundred and sixty wickets from New Wagner and all of the slog work that he did then and now Tim Souther you know, and you know we shouldn't forget that as well. That's a that's a that's just a fact that our bowling side of things, as we've been weakened, the guts has been ripped out of it over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Well, Mitchell's an interesting one because he, of course, looking back on his history, he did have issues in terms of not being necessarily accepted in the dressing room back early in his career, and that he was I don't know what the issue was, but they found it difficult working with him, and I think he's changed since those times. The fundamental question for me has to be in terms of the side would we rather we lose with the status quo or would we rather we lose trying something different.
Speaker 2: That's a lose lose situation you've just loved.
Speaker 1: I know it's a lose lose situation. But what would you prefer I would I would prefer us winning obviously, but I would prefer.
Speaker 2: In New Zealand to take a slightly more bold, emboldened approach to to refitting this team. And that goes beyond the plane eleven if you get my drift.
Speaker 1: Yes, well yeah, and that's interesting, you know which.
Speaker 3: The other thing is that two young guys that have been given a crack, Will O'Rourke in Rich and Revendra sensational of our two of our best in Sri Lanka.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after a short break. Yes, well, let's look at this Sri Lankan Test match and humiliation mate, the amount of effing and jeffing going on in the Hoyde Householder, I had to shut the doors. Not good. And you know, and we mentioned this on the previous podcast. I do believe you know things that we were notoriously known for our fielding and things like that just some really substandard play, Dylan, basic stumping catches, you know what the hell? Yeah?
Speaker 2: The first morning was just awful, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: It was dreadful.
Speaker 2: The cat the Mitchell of her slip that he shelled was so easy that there was no emotion. There was no like will I just ran up the wicket because it was such a standard edge. Mitchell was going to pocket at Sri Lanka were going to be ten for two. They're going to gather around, pair each other on the back. And it went down and no one, no one could quite believe it. They couldn't even get angry about it because it was just, oh, holy hell, how did that happen? Yes, and then the stumping went in and out and once that ball got old, they just didn't even look like getting a wicket. It was just all fairly.
Speaker 1: Sad. Yeah, mundane tedious pulled forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a bloody tough going, no question about it. Jason wanted to acknowledge you did predict to Neil despite your talk of optimism, you did speak about you did predict that Schlinka would win the series two.
Speaker 1: Now, I but on that, and I also had a feeling that we were going to get a shallacking in the second Test. And I know that's hindsight, but I thought, I don't know, we did well in that first Test, but I've got a horrible feeling we're going to get our asses handed to us. Then we batted pul forward and what an absolute travesty. That was? What the bloody hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, look it was, yeah, it was. It was crazy. And look there were some kind of you could blame the pitch for this and that, you know, and it was tricky, absolutely, but there was also some sensational catching from the shlankins in the slips, yes, and the outfield and close. They were unbelievably good. They were magnificent and they were the polar opposite of us. Yeah, and you just say, yeah, some of those wickets, you know, the dicey Conway catch, Phillips, Kamakazi, Mitchell outslogging, Phillips out slogging, Conway, spooning one up, Blundle missing a reverse suite. It wasn't all just sort of you know, the ball beating the bat because it was ragging square. There was a bit of there was a bit of madness in there as well.
Speaker 2: Can I just get off a one slight caveat to the news owman, it was appalling eighty eight all out when you're chasing six hundred and two for five, there's nothing good you can say about it. But they battered themselves into a hole and they allowed the Sri Lankan spin twins to get into this incredible rhythm which was in the end unshakable. But there was a reason for that, I think. And they went into back quite late on day two, so they just had that defensive mindset get through the day, and then they came out again the next morning with a night watchman who simply hasn't got the skills to take the attack to Sri Lanka, so they tried to rebuild. So they had this period on the second evening in the third morning where they were just batting in quicksand and that's our best player doing that as well, came Williamson. Yes, So that felt like quite a big moment in the game, was that we just couldn't budge those spinners off their lengths and it just meant that everyone coming afterwards had to try something maybe a little bit beyond their skill level, and Sri dl anchor and their tails up again. It doesn't excuse eighty eight, which is appalling, But I think that what that was. The one mitigating factor was the circumstance of having that andn split by the end of day two.
Speaker 1: Yes, do we want to read a bit of correspondence, he Daniel writes Fellows hard not to see the bollocking from Sri Lanka as punishment from the gods of cricket. While watching the boys capitulate wasn't quite being tied to a rock and having your liver plucked out by an eagle. At times it got pretty close. Facing a must win test and choosing a stick with a Choosing to stick with the team that included elements that severely underperformed is not just conservative, it's hubristic and dumb. Punishment was meted out by the gods of cricket, and we were brought low and reminded of our grim, mortal lot to toil upon the green. Where the hell do we go from here? Surely stared in the conservative Canterbury faction have learned their lesson? Or are we doomed to repeat this cosmic mistake of picking a subpar team under the guise of consistency for the rest of this painful cricketing summer.
Speaker 2: I think we've got half an answer today, didn't.
Speaker 3: We appeal to the deity there From Daniel.
Speaker 2: Hey Mike from Coroco writes under the subject line from Sri Lanka with distaste, I'm writing from Tangali Beach. I hope I said that right after scarpering the hell out of Gaul once the FASCAL Second Test ended. After riding in Sri Lanka in time for the First Test again, pitched up to the Gaul cricket ground, hoping for another fighting performance from the black Caps. No need to mention how that went. My journey to the pearl of the Indian notion hasn't been without its hecups. I kicked off with a whale watching excursion off the coast of Gaul. On the way out to see, the skipper climbed onto the top deck of his boat and advised everyone to head to the lower deck to mitigate the likelihood of sea sickness coming from the current home of the America's Cap. I scoffed at that suggestion and sniggered at the landlubbers scurrying to the lower deck. Fifteen minutes later, I was leant over the side of the boat offloading my breakfast on the fishes. Unfortunately, for the other tourists below, the sea breeze blew my fruit plater breakfast in their direction and they were cascaded with a rainbow of colors. We all got to see a bunch of whales.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 2: The upside of the second test, to bark All is that it's given me a few more days to explore the Indian Ocean tear drop. Tomorrow, I'm off to a wildlife safari in the National Park and then onto the tea plantations in the whole country. I'm hoping the rest of my trip will help remove the bitter taste of New Zealand's two test losses and put me in a good spirits for the home tests against the Palms. Best not to mention the upcoming India tour. Yes, I think that's a very good point.
Speaker 3: Which national parks are going to Dylan?
Speaker 2: Did you say I think he's going to the Dawalawa National Park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me say that one.
Speaker 3: Umm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, as an overall view, fellas, I mean, after the second test, I just have you know, we've got India coming up now, and I just don't know what direction we're going to be going in because and I don't know that we have many of norths. Yes, but I don't know about you, fellas, But I can't help but feel we're going to get our asses handed to us over in India.
Speaker 2: Well, they just took two days to beat a relatively competitive Bangladesh team too, so they're not sure to form themselves. They could put three elevens and beat New Zealand and India at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yes, they treated Bangladesh with absolute disdain. In the second Test match, it was it was.
Speaker 2: Well, will there be changes? I mean, let's talk through that. I mean the fifteen that went to Sri Lanka we only got to see eleven of them because of that hubristic as Daniel Rhodes conservative selection policy for the second Test. Are there changes? I think we've got to take it as read. We've got to take it at face value that Tim Salvie will be going, Tom Lathan will be going. Can you guys see any ins and outs in the fifteen?
Speaker 1: Not really, that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Mitchell Sentner. I know he got a few cheap runs on that second things, but.
Speaker 1: And the high score in the first but you know, I feel this is cruel.
Speaker 2: But I discard anything that happened in that New Zealand second innings. It was the most inconsequential betting conditions you're ever getting.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it also just for me, highlighted how badly we played in the first Yeah. I mean in terms of like on field elevens, you've got to have Henry in there. I wouldn't have Salvie. Yes, Mitchell Santner. Did he do enough and show enough because he was in good form bowling wise, but he didn't impress that much with the ball over in Sri Lanka.
Speaker 2: One wicked I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it was like Conway, for example, Paul Ford. I mean he got a what is it sixty on the second innings, finally got some runs.
Speaker 2: Dashing sixty two.
Speaker 3: Yes, really pissed off looking sixty after as a dicey first innings dismissed or i'd wager, But yeah, I mean, frankly, it's hard to see any changes that they will make. I mean, if you're not going to bench some of those guys after those performances in the first Test, you've give them given them another test where they've got absolutely dumped, you're just going to stick with them, I would suggest, I can't see any changes. Maybe maybe an addition or two. I don't know if Cole Jamison's back. I think he was out six months with a Streuss fracture, so he might be one, you know that's possibly in contention. And then then really you're looking at the likes of I guess a Nathan Smith or something like that, just adding to the squad and giving yourself a few more options.
Speaker 1: Ashuck.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's ready yet. He's coming off a long term injuries and.
Speaker 3: He's surged surgery, I think as well.
Speaker 2: Right, okay, and I think you'd probably rather than throw him to the to the lions, I think you'd probably look at it East Sodi if you were going to go in the direction of a leggy wrispinner. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I see happening actually is, you know, we'll have little bright spots of performance, but the ultimate rule result will be a thumping test loss. That's how I see this playing out. Someone will shine for a little while and then we'll get pummeled.
Speaker 2: It's just how one of those bright spots occurs on a Tuesday before before a podcast, so we can grasp onto that and fill our listeners with some sunshine.
Speaker 3: And just to remind ourselves. It was humiliating, but it was not our largest first innings deficit, which was versus Pakistan in two thousand and two. Thank you in or Huk and show up actor who I think was a triple century in a six for eleven something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good times. Well here's some positive news fellers, white fans. Yeah no, come on, is hope. Well they won a warm up game against South Africa and comprehensively too, I might add Paul Forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, they have snapped. I think it was at ten was a ten nineteen eleven t twenties in a raw they lost executively.
Speaker 2: Does not officially count though, unfortunately because it was not a eleven on eleven.
Speaker 3: Hey, it counts for me, Dylan, it counts for.
Speaker 1: Me at least.
Speaker 2: Grasp older that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see grasp on grasping. I feel like one of those sport climbers at the at the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, it's scary as well. We've also lost at England, but we're not going to get into that too much. But it's amazing we've met. We've played England seventeen times this year and we've lost fifteen of those games, so I guess, thank god they're not in our group. But yeah, unfortunately Australia and India both are. So yeah, look, it's going to be tricky first game as against India or on Saturday morning, and you'd say on form, winning one out of two and a week means that we are going in with a listener raw compared to what we've been doing over the last ten months.
Speaker 1: Now, that's amazing when you sort of reflect upon it, with both of the men and the woman, I mean, how did we get here? How did we get to such a pessimistic place after being World Test champions and stuff. It's just been it feels like a very slow decline.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I mentioned before and I stand by this. I just think we went from being innovative to comfortable. Yes, And like slowly boiled frogs. We were in a pot and the element was turned up into one and we're comfortable for a long time, and it was quite pleasantly warm, and by the time we realized we were boiling, we could not extract ourselves from the pot. And how our flesh is falling off and we're about to be devoured.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after a short break. Well, let's chair ourselves up with a bit of Paul Ford's news or ruse, shall we?
Speaker 3: Jap? WoT has the Oi Hoy trophy out west?
Speaker 1: Magnificent polish over the weekend. Thanks. I should have sent some packs for Dylan to just try and imagine what it's like on his mantal piece.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean as voodoo He his voodoo dolls over there on the shore. Okay, three bits of news. There'll be something wrong with one of them. Number one. Kevin Peterson helped broak a landmark deal between IPL franchise the Delhi Capitals in English County Hampshire. Hampshire this week announced a new strategic partnership with the GMR Group on Monday, which Peterson hailed as an historic day in English cricket. Congrats to everyone on this journey. It's only the start. Let effing go, he screamed on Twitter formerly or was it ex formerly Twitter?
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Peterson, of course, paid for Hampshire from two thousand and five to twenty ten and played for the Delhi franchise then known as the dare Devils in the IPL, including as captain in twenty fourteen. Krakinfo reported brilliantly that he has maintained a close personal personal relationship with gmr's bazillionaire owner Kuran Kumar Grandi. Number two New Zealand's domestic T twenty champions will be crowned in Wellington this summer, not because Wellington will necessarily win, but because Altera Roh's home of cricket, the Basin Reserve, will host a sweet Little Finals weekend in early February. For the first time in the combined competition's history. The winners will be decided at a predetermined venue. The Supersmash comprises thirty two men's and women's double headers at ten venues across Altierro TVNZ plus and on Duke So Freedomware, which is lovely. The Road to the Basin will begin on Boxing Day at seven formerly known as Martinsteden Park in Hamilton. As the twenty twenty four champs, the Auckland ass began their title defense against nd who won it in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three. The competition will also be broadcast to Australia India for betting sub Saharan, Africa, the UK and the US and number three Dylan You're gonna you know, I know you love this guy already. And Indian left handed prodigy who loves Brian Lara began to haunt Australia and probably the rest of world cricket. At Chippauk on Tuesday, when vibarv Suria one, she nonchoalantly launched Thomas Brown over mid wicket for an audacious sixth in the India Under nineteen Youth Test against Australia, This thirteen year old Wunderkinder became the youngest ever to score in an international century at any level. He made one hundred and four of sixty two in what was described as his unique, authoritative style that defies his age. Century was off fifty eight deliveries and was the fastest century and under nineteen Test matches since Joe Denley took fifty six balls back in two thousand and five. What did he say?
Speaker 1: Love this?
Speaker 3: I never feel threatened, be it fast bowlers or spinners. I love to hit them.
Speaker 1: That is my mindset.
Speaker 3: This is frightening. This guy's going to be playing the next twenty five years. My god, look out.
Speaker 1: Can we get him into the New Zealand side? Maybe?
Speaker 3: How can a thirteen year will be playing an under nineteen cricket? I'm pretty sure there will be illegal in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that was going to be my You've got to be bruising about his age, surely, but taken that off the table by doubling down on it. I think I sent you a screenshot of that scorecard because I was just looking at going I can't believe.
Speaker 1: This eighty something of forty at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're one hundred and four without lass than this kid had an eighty something of them. Yeah, ooh shit. I'm going to have to go with story number two. I read stories one three. I think they're right. I know that the finals weekend is in Wellington, that part of it's true. Maybe maybe Ndy aren't the twenty two to twenty three champs as well.
Speaker 1: Weirdly enough, I didn't think Auckland were the current champs. But then that's my razzled brain. M I'm going to go three and the age because I can't accept that he's thirteen.
Speaker 3: We should both wash your mouths out for that. Because he's thirteen years one hundred and eighty eight days, which is unbelievable. I totally. I think it's a their thing to call out. But no, the fastest century in under nineteen Test cricket was not Joe Dinley. It was Moween Arley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Queen Arley.
Speaker 3: So Jason, you retain the trophy comfortably.
Speaker 1: Hey, now listen, it's a pyrrhic victory, that one, really, Dylan Cleavers, Who am I? Though? The answer we got we got sent this in from Luckey b geid A. Lads, it's Lockey here, Dad and I just listened to your latest podcast on the Way to the Cricket in Hamilton. We believe that this week's who am I? As black Cat? Number one? Ted Badcock?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: Cheers, Fowlers love hearing the BBIC on the way to the Cricket, Locky and.
Speaker 3: Dad great, these got the regular listeners. Lockie Lover get to you and your old man. I know this is a very nerdy thing to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. We've never had a Test cricket that starts with A and finner. Allen was going to be it and he's not going to be it. So we're going to have to wait another thousand years for that to happen.
Speaker 2: Chats good lord, check, alabasta, green, alabasta, Oh do you reckon?
Speaker 3: It's okay. When you said alphabetically, though, I was like, is he the first Test cricketer by the.
Speaker 2: Alphabet yes, because they obviously had to play a first Test at some stage in that very first Test team didn't have someone beginning to day.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank god, I can sleep again.
Speaker 1: Who you got this week there for us?
Speaker 2: I can clear that up, you radio? Who am I? I might well be described as the original enphon Terry Blair of New Zealand cricket. On one of New Zealand's most gilded tours, my manager said of me, if only he would curb an impetuosity to make a century, not merely before lunch, but as it sometimes seemed, before breakfast. That was the thing about me. Nobody doubted my talent. Bert Sucliffe no less described me as being light on my feet, like a dancer, but with a full array of shots. But my record was, even accounting for the times, objectively poor. I played twenty five Tests and saw an uncommon amount of New Zealand victories. Three more than Bert, for example, but my ten year career netted just one ton in an average south of twenty. My first class career, all spent in the South was slightly better, though my five to thirty eight hundreds to fifties ratio spoke to my propensity for classy cameos rather than innings of substance. By the way, this isn't actually me speaking, because I died in two thousand and seven. Ah any clues fellas. No, it is actually quite a famous and I won't say popular because there's a lot of frustration with him, but quite a well known cricketer of the age. So I hope that helps you out there in listener land.
Speaker 1: Great stuff Pull forwards cricket violence corner. Pull forwards cricket violence corner.
Speaker 3: A low key Indian cricket tournament named the MCC Weekdays Bash lived up to its name. In the final between Aero Visa and Rabdan. The Bash was brought and the fixture was marred by controversy after rapdown bar the Khasi Muhammad and of Lisa bowler Narsia Ali were involved in abrawl. The incident happened on the final ball of the thirteenth over after Narsia dismissed Kashif and gave him a sensational fiery send off, quite a long one with pointing and yelling. Kashif started walking off and then decided he had enough swung around as the bowler continued to hurl abuse and a full scrap erupted. As they were fighting and the umpires and teammates trying to separate them, Nasia broke free of the pack, grabbed the non striker's back and wrapped it around Kashif. Sensational stuff in the weekday Bash.
Speaker 1: Good lord.
Speaker 2: Can I just say one thing there that I don't want to resort to lazy tropes here, but I don't think there's any such thing as a low key tournament in India.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, fair enough? Hey, now pull Ford getting into our correspondence. I believe you've made a rap song about Eden Park.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Can I give you a bit of context on that, Jason, Yes, Jo. We had some correspondents from Peter d and at read as follows. Great to have the b ysc back. This is a sometime hobby horse of Dylan's. But I know with the release of the Ford Trophy schedule, Auckland's official domestic home ground until Christmas at least, appears to have become the Bay Oval, a mere two hundred and thirty kilometer trip from the usual home, which is of course situated in the car park of a well known Rugby stadium. The vagaries of Auckland Stadium politics are not something anyone looking forward to someone wants to get into. But imagine explaining to Cricket of Fitzionado's The World Over that the domestic side from our most popular center are effectively refugees because well we just haven't got round two sorting that one out yet, Mate from Pete d now research on this and the reason why those matches are being played at Mount Molanui because there is a Travis Scott concert on jc be a huge fan of Travis Scott, wouldn't you know? Anyway? I decided Adela, and I'm very glad to get your thoughts on what the hell's going on here. But before we do, I just warm you guys up with a rap song that I made in the Trevor Scott style about Eden Park.
Speaker 1: Currently the hype shape. We couldn't script this type.
Speaker 3: I'll field lightning paste chased the light bombrous peas, spinner words, crickets ace, boundary world, smella, set of bas well lets in my flaking smart well make your.
Speaker 1: Mind all of the crab dreams out loud. We ain't mouth cricket changing out of barrios loud.
Speaker 5: Bloody, good mate, and it's not bad pulled forward. Great work, great work, just on that. I mean, what a bloody travesty, Dylan Cleaver. I mean, for God's.
Speaker 2: Sake, this is what happens when you're involved in autand cricket and you get so tunnel visioned you so hitch your wagon to Eden Park. So Eden Park is our spiritual home, not only that is our future. Meanwhile, Eating Parker going. I actually we'd rather have concerts here than cricket. Would rather bring some money. Yes, what are flip and shambles? Auckland gets exactly what they deserve from the administrators that they have.
Speaker 1: Yes, because I I was, I've spent a lot of quality time at Eating Partner number two. It's quite a lovely little boutique sort of ground.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I can't stand it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. Back in the old days, you know, you know, but I mean, you know the biggest center in the country. We can't find a ground for our cricketers. Is embarrassing and stupid. Pull forward. If people want to get in touch with us, what do they do? Mate?
Speaker 3: Look as your short epistle to b y C at Base Brigade dot co dot NZ or slide into the d MS of the Alternative Commentary Collective all the Base Brigade on Instagram or Facebook and they'll find their.
Speaker 1: Way to it. And what's going on with the Bounce at the moment, they're Dylan Clever graduations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I brought up the five hundred Wow. Yeah, so five hundred newsletters. If you've been with me from the start, that means five hundred punishing emails have dropped into your in bugs if you haven't, If you've just joined, it's great to have your board. If you want to join, if you're curious, Dylan Cleaver dot substack dot com, or just google Dylan Cleaver in the Bounce and come along for the ride.
Speaker 1: Good on you, mate. Hey Nellison, you know, I got to apologize to the listeners. It's been a slightly pessimistic, depressing kind of podcast. Reasonable, but that's just the reality that we find ourselves in at the moment, and I think we're just going to have to grad our teeth and hold on to our couches and have a few beersies when we're watching the Indian tour pull forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to say. It's interesting, isn't it how the cycle of expectation comes comes around?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So twenty years ago this is where we were. The generation of players that we've had, and all of the amazing success has completely reset our expectations and suddenly we're not being like facetious and silly kind of barmy army styles about sort of like all of the losses and all that kind of stuff. We actually are surprised that we're not winning cricket games, and we're actually surprised that we're getting flogged in a few test matches. This is just back to reality. So we'll get through this sort of the doom and gloom all the way back to being our sort of tongue in cheek self. I'd imagine over the next few months.
Speaker 1: Speak for yourself, Paul I, I'm going to be spewing over us the next few weeks. I can tell you that much. Dylan. I just know I'm going to be passed off.
Speaker 2: I've still got a few months of angsty, insistential kind of crisisy left in me before I can get to that facetious tongue in cheek haha. Look at us all out for ninety two against England at the Basing kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, thanks for taking no no, thanks for taking the time to listen. We'll be back, same time, same place, next week until the end. See you later.