Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks. It'd be follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. This is sportsfix Howard by News Talks.
Speaker 2: It'd be greetain's greetings. Welcome into this edition of The Sports Fixer. It's a tunesday. It is the eighteenth February twenty twenty five. My name is Darcy Walter Grave and coming up in this podcast, we're going to talk about tonight's Halberg celebrations, tonight's Halberg fundraiser. Tonight when the athletes forget about what they do to make themselves famous, they just clip on a fancy pair of pants and get up there themselves a good time. Michael Burgess has written in The New Zealand Herald about how this event, the ceremony can be tweaked. It joins us to talk about that shortly. I've got some opinion about the vagaries of streaking. I mean, why would you you know of the chamber. Alex Powell joins us digital Sport editor for the New Zealand Herald as we throw around some of the bigger topics of sport today. That is a plan get amongst looking forward to presenting this.
Speaker 1: Is the fix in other news.
Speaker 2: And in some sports box pops for you all today, Ossie. Rugby League Commission Chair Peter, where is New Zealand again? The landis has gone full grovel to try and persuade President Trump to dark in the door of the NRL experience in Las Vegas. He wants the poters to have a gander at the Wars versus the Sharks game. Here's his pre recorded message on Trump's favorite show, Fox and Friends.
Speaker 3: Mister President, we want to introduce you to the toughest game on Earth, rugby league. There's no sport more brutal than rugby league. Our players don't wear pads or helmets. Hope to see you at the Allegiance Stadium in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Novak Djokovic has spoken on the Senate affair. They're telling world Number one has had a telling off for his positive drug reading, exempted the naughty corner for a couple of months. He'll still be back though for the French Open. Novak chose his words carefully. The majority of the players doesn't feel that it's fair.
Speaker 4: Majority of the players feel like.
Speaker 2: There is favorism happening.
Speaker 4: It appears that you can.
Speaker 2: Almost affect the outcome if you're a top player, if you have access to the top lawyers and whatnot. So there and the conversation between Hiroki Sakai and the table typing Auckland FC has resulted in a year long extension for the Stipper. Just the news the team needs. Heading into this week, Ken's Derby Flash versus the Phoenix.
Speaker 5: Have we had a negotiation, negotiation or discussion from since after the past of derby?
Speaker 2: And there are sports vox pops of the.
Speaker 1: Day, news and opinion. It's Force Fix with Dancie Valdreve.
Speaker 2: Ands wll Welcome into the Fixed podcast to writer for n Z heraldy multi sport talented writer mister Michael Burgess.
Speaker 5: Hi, Michael, how good a Darcy, I'm good mate, shining got to be good.
Speaker 2: That's it And it's a massive day or a massive night coming up for New Zealand sport. You've written a piece in the Herald around this talking about a new category to recognized excellent and big leagues feel that is lacking and the Halbergs maybe needs to be tweaked. So first up, talk us through what needs to happen. Do you think to bring it kicking and screaming into twenty five and beyond.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's kind of the summary, Dars. I mean, you know, I love the Halbergs. There's such an important part of the sporting landscape. We've grown up watching them, look forward to them every year. But it just needs to become a bit more relevant and for me, I'll be thinking about this for quite a few years. But the penny dropped when I was having a look at Chris Wood. We all know what he's done this past year in the Premier League has been incredible. Is the talk of England, let alone New Zealand for everything he's done. But it's not you And he's been doing amazing things for seven or eight years and this is the first time he's been a finalist. So it's just occurred to me, you know, how can how is there not a way to recognize what this guy's doing in terms of a global achievement? So yeah, I just think there needs to be a category and what you call it. My initial idea was you call it, you know, best global achievement or best achievement in a global sport. I don't know, something that might be a bit clunky, but something that just recognizes people that do amazing things in the biggest sports. They might not win a trophy or a medal or a championship, but they do things that make all of us so proud, that get everyone talking and get people around the world talking.
Speaker 2: It's global the nature of New Zealand sports people, because it has to be. How many young sports be will disappear overseas two minor leagues or smaller competition to build themselves up to a position where they can compete on that stage and then to be I suppose ignored a preference of of an Olympic sport that that's kind of gutting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's hard, isn't it? Because you don't want to criticize other achievements because everyone who does what they do in their chosen sport is absolutely incredible, and especially those who achieve at the Olympics or win world championships. So I'm really reluctant to criticize anyone and what they've done. It's just the judges in an awkward position. You know, the judges, what is it now the sixty second year, the judges are still stuck with this model of sportsman of the Year, sportswoman of the Year and Supreme Award. And it's very hard, I guess, to compare someone playing in the NBA or someone riding in the Tour de France, which by the way, is incredible to get to get a place on a Tour de France team, compared to someone winning a World championship shot put. You know, it's just so hard to really analyze, Okay, what's better, what's not. But I think when you're looking at the likes of Stephen Adams and Chris Wood, to me are great examples. Stephen Adams, we all know what he's done in the NBA. How long has he been there? By a decade? Does He was amazing for Oklahoma for a few seasons sort of in twenty sixteen, seventeen eighteen, absolutely incredible what he was doing. He's been a finalist once in twenty fourteen in his rookie season, so it's like he's sort of been airbrush from history of it. You know, if you just wanted to Jose's gellin sport by the Helberger Wards, you wouldn't have heard of him, which just doesn't seem right, does it.
Speaker 2: There's a big focus on the fact that it's a fundraiser. We know this, This is the most important part of that that you cannot walk away from. At the end of the night, people celebrate the winners, the Supreme Award winners, the means, the woman's son and so forth, and the charity moves to one side. So it kind of has to be addressed because essentially it's still about winning.
Speaker 5: And losing exactly exactly. The charity does incredible things. Sir Mary Holberg did amazing things. He was an incredible New Zealander. Will never forget him, and I love the fact that these awards will always honor him and what he did. And yeah, you can't forget the foundation and what they do the other three hundred and sixty four days of the year, but on this night it's all about judging elite sports people and what they've done to make us, you know, so so proud as a nation. So, you know, can we really forget you know, one more example Dars this year lu Lusan Luluisan. She's obviously not in any of the categories, but you know, she sort of stopped the nation when she reached the quarterfinals at Wimwood and became the first woman to do that in the Open era, first qu female to do that in First New Zealander, you know, since eighty three. Amazing stuff, and there's no there's no category for that. It's an Olympic years so there's a lot of other great female sportswoman achievements. But it doesn't seem right, does it. But also Lulu is not in the history.
Speaker 1: Boox dissecting the sporting agenda. It's sportsfex with Darcy Waltergrave.
Speaker 2: Put them in a glass box and hang them from a crane for the duration. What am I talking about? Punishment for streakers. Yeah, we all get a bit of a laugh, have a weak giggle when some predominantly young man decides to remove all of us clothes and go running across a rugby, picture, cricket ground, whatever you'll choose that. I've never seen it in squash. Maybe that's another challenge. I don't know why people do this. I'm not quite sure what the thrillers. I'm presuming it is purely alcohol driven. But what it really is for everyone concerned is a pain in the backside. No one wants to see it, No one cares. People are interested and excited by the game, not by some fool who wants to get his Johnson out and show the world. What happened over the weekend at Eden Park proves to me that there is no place in this day and age for people to behave like that. What greats even more is the fact a couple of the so called streakers didn't even streak. They didn't take their pants off. Like I don't want to see bear naked backsides as much as the next guy, But if you're going to streak, at least streak take your pants off. That is half fast and that is a shame. Although one of the streakers staid to have quite a step and quite a turn of acceleration on them. Got to be impressed by that. But if they get caught, I don't think banning them from the ground. I don't think fighting them makes one smidgeon of difference to their behaviors. You've got to embarrass them, grab them, stick them in a small pursepex box, keep them mood, and then suspend them from a crane for all to see. That's what they need to do. Embarrass this behavior out of them and whatever happened to the stroll By the way, wouldn't it be much cooler if someone got naked and just casually wandered across the field, strolling in all their glory. Now that is a statement, streaking. It's being done.
Speaker 4: Get a new joke.
Speaker 1: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsfix.
Speaker 2: Into the Chamber, we go back from a couple of weeks off. Welcome back into the digital minds Alex Powell. He is the digital editor of a New Zealand Herald. Please to be back, aren't you.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm loving it, loving being back in the chamber.
Speaker 2: That's good. I'm glad you're here. Big sports story today in the form of one Leon McDonald's got himself a new job bro Well.
Speaker 4: Yet to be confirmed, but it appears that it is all but done. Yeah, he's gone to the Western Force and a director of rugby role berg loss for New Zealand, that sort of rugby ip going up to Australia. Great gap for them and potentially for the Wallabies as well, with Joe Schmidt leaving at the end of the Try and at the Rugwitch Hampionship.
Speaker 2: Rather so, this makes perfect sense as far as the succession plan. In order to get that top job, you've got to be within the comfortable embrace of the Australians.
Speaker 4: Well, men, I don't know if you do. Joe Schmidt wasn't exactly in the Australian system, but this is helpful, right it is. It gives him a bit of a closer look at Australian rug about the players he might be working with. I think we might be the only ones insinuating that he's gone for the Wallabies job as well, but it is a very natural progression for them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder though about the strength and the intelligence behind yet another KEI we coaching the Wallaboos. We know Joe Schmidt did very well, but historically it's not really worked. I get a feeling that in order to progress Australian rugby ford you need to look at the youth. You need to look at Australians. You need to get that pride back in the g what the Aussies alike?
Speaker 4: I do? But do we are we rarely thinking in twenty twenty five that the national team has to be coached by someone from that nation. You look at what Eddie Jones did with an England. You look at what someone like Robert.
Speaker 2: Arren Gatland did with Wales, bad bad, bad comparison. Yeah, initially yeah.
Speaker 4: So, I mean if they might not want to go down that route Rugby, so they might want to look at someone like a Dan mckella, someone like Stephen Larkham.
Speaker 2: I'm just interested in getting the Australians back behind their team again, and I know the tumult that it caused when Robbie Deans was there and so on and so forth. I think the Aussies like having their own out there, don't they.
Speaker 4: I mean they probably do, don't they. Dave Renny didn't go to well. I mean he did do great, but they got rid of the first chance they got so they could get Eddie Jones back. I mean, who knows whether Rugby Australia. That's sort of all we can say at the moment.
Speaker 2: There's not confirmed year, but you've had Liam on it and we all know that if Liam's on it, there's a very good chance it's absolutely true.
Speaker 4: I am absolutely reading it that way.
Speaker 2: Fantastic New Zealand. He will read the story, read all about it in jidhell dot co dot in Z Champions Trophy gets underway tomorrow. She's been a while some relevant cricket, but finally it's a it's a breast it's here.
Speaker 4: Do you care about the Champions Trophy?
Speaker 2: I just want to watch competitive cricket because I've been watching all these warm up games and enjoying it, but still going. I must have been watching Warriors preseason because it doesn't mean anything even though it's any champions trophy, right, at least it's a relevant international cricketing event.
Speaker 4: Right, I'm kind of torn. I'm sure once it starts, I'll be into it, but like I mean, you look back, this is the only white ball trophy. New Zealand's one back watch two thousand. Yeah, so who knows? And we New Zealand will open the tournament against Pakistan on Wednesday night. We've already played Pakistan twice and beaten them twice. That I don't read that as good side.
Speaker 2: So we've got quite a nice stagger tournament though, right because we're playing against Bangladesh, India and Pakistan, so India and Pakistan booking and we've got Bugla Dish kind of in the middle, so I think the timing is quite advantageous.
Speaker 4: It's the kind of tournament though that one bad result can throw you out. You only play that's good.
Speaker 2: Look, you play each other once the best two teams go to the Semis. The best two teams go to the final. This is simple, and I think we're sick to death of structured competitions where it takes so long to work it out.
Speaker 4: I mean, if we're going to look cynically at it, it's just another one of these ICC tournaments that they can shoehorn and so India can play Pakistan because they don't get them anywhere.
Speaker 2: Else, ha ha, because that's all the money. And Halberg's tonight. Don't know about you, but twenty four years more broadcasting, I've still yet to be invited. It's because I'm not the biggest fan. What's the word fit for purpose? I don't think it is.
Speaker 4: Now, how do we compare sporting achievements against teacher don't you can't know?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: And saying that who are you picking to take out the top?
Speaker 2: Gone?
Speaker 4: It could be anybody.
Speaker 2: They've got a favoritism towards something about these Hallburg people that love the Olympic Games. Maybe because Sir Murray, you know, had an adventure in Olympic Games. So based on that, Dame Lisa.
Speaker 4: Carrington, do you think I think it'll be a two horse race for whoever wins that Sportswoman of the Year will also win the whole thing. So either Dame Lisa or Dame Lydia Co both had fantastic years. Lisa Carington won three Olympic Golds. You look at Lydia Kozier Olympic Gold, a major two more wins, our youngest ever player to go into the Hall of Fame, and then becomes a dame at the end of it, like you're splitting hairs dry.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's that the variety of that rundown there might give the nose if you will. But like we'll find out later on tonight, if that tickles your fancy, whatever your fancy is, and however you tickle it. Alex Powell, sports news editor from NZ to here. Thanks for your time and welcome back.
Speaker 4: Thanks mate, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: This is Sports Fix, your daily dose of sports news, how.
Speaker 2: And by news talks, and here's your sports fix for the day. Hope you've enjoyed it. If you have, be sure and subscribed that way. This comes into your inbox Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Tell your mates, tell your family, get them to do exactly the same things we can spread the word of sport right across the nation. My name's Darcy Waldgrave. Thanks for listening, and if you want some interactive sport radio Sports Talk seven to eight pm Monday to Friday on News Talk ZEB. Jason pine does Monday, I've got the rest of the week and Piney, of course book ends the whole thing. He has weekend sports Saturday and Sunday between twelve midday and three. I'd love your company, We both would right the way throughout the week on News Talk ZB. I hope you've enjoyed the fix. Catch you again tomorrow for.
Speaker 1: More from News Talk ZEDB. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio.