Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at BE follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. This is Sportsfix Howard by.
Speaker 2: News Talks it BE. Welcome on into Sports Fix. My name is Darcy Watergraven. This is at Tuesday, twenty ninth of October twenty twenty four, your podcast home of all the latest and greatest to end sport, tied up in a bite sized package and for your entertainment today. Now shortly we'll be talking with Greg Murphy around the Liam Lawson situation with the Finger and his general racecraft. Alex Powell, digital sports editor for The New Zealand Herald, joins us in the chamber as we throw around some of the bigger topics of the day. There are some thoughts on the magnificence of the silver ferns. That's our master plan. Get amongst here. It is Sports Fix coming at you in other news. So what happened in sports today? Let's go to the mouth to the people that made the news. Are returned to familiar surroundings for four time at World Cup winner Kelly Brazier. She signed with the Chiefs Munaway and Super Rugby Opicky for next year, but will remain with the Blackburn Sevens on the World Series if selected before preseason. Probably going to.
Speaker 3: Get a true sense of what on the sink he was actually like.
Speaker 4: So Corpobo can just bring about of knowledge and things I've learned in the sevens environment.
Speaker 3: And help out with her there and hopefully bring him another title.
Speaker 2: Expect the key we to take their chances with the ball in hand in Saturday specific championship game against Tonga. That mounts smart. That's the view from former international coach Frank Endicott after New Zealand's tournament opening defeat. The hands of the Australians.
Speaker 5: Say she did what he could with so many first starters and they played the game pretty conservative to be honest, He gauged Tonga they might just have a little bit more confidence and up the game a bit more, maybe with a little bit more second phase play and ask more questions to the tongue and defense.
Speaker 2: And Australian Bretna Robinson will take New Zealand's three votes at the World at Rugby Electoral College next month. The former Wallaby has been given the tick of approval by n z ARE. Speaking to News Talk zb's Rugby Direct in London into our chief executive Mark Robinson says. Robinson's vision is the pick.
Speaker 6: We've had conversations with them through last little while.
Speaker 2: When we look at again where we see the future of the game Brits, it's just a strong candidate leading of X.
Speaker 6: We've got just the ticket.
Speaker 1: It's sports fixed by News Talks ZV.
Speaker 2: And it's warm. Welcome to the programmer, to Greg Murphy and a Murph welcome on and I trust.
Speaker 3: You well, so I am thank you.
Speaker 2: You'll be taking keen interest in Formula one. I think a lot of New Zealanders are now we've got our tenth driver in there, Liam Lawson's he's shaking things up a little bit and I suppose that a little video of him flipping the bird is something that has really piqued the interest of a lot of people. Are the aggression there? Should he apologize for that?
Speaker 6: Do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's a PC world we live in, mate, which is a real shame.
Speaker 4: So you know, you go and do something like that, which is great, it's great for the excitement of the sport, but it controvers you all the stuff, all the things we need to stay interested in things these days and then someone or he obviously maybe thought that they wouldn't see him do it. You know, it's going, oh, maybe it wasn't a good thing to do, and.
Speaker 3: I was it good for the brand and blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: And next minute you're apologizing. I'm sure he hasn't changed his thoughts around why he did it, and I thought it was fantastic. You know, It's like there was a bit of a riff going on there during the race between the two of them. Sergio didn't hold back on what he thought of Liam called him an idiot. So I think giving him this middle figure is only justification, perfect justification. So anyway, that's as I say, it's this pathetic world that we currently live in these days.
Speaker 3: You can't can't do things like that. Someone will be offended.
Speaker 2: How would you an ambrose go on the day and age do you think?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I'd be fine because I don't care about social media and that respect, and I'm not worried about what people's opinions are.
Speaker 3: I didn't worry back then and I don't care now.
Speaker 4: It's people can say whatever they like preferred if they've got an opinion to come up and sat to my face and then hide behind it on a computer screen. But unfortunately that's the way it's done these days. So you know, yeah, social media has caused caused no end of controversy around its own own self for allowing allowing things to be said I suppose that shouldn't be and and.
Speaker 3: Then people's opinions, Yeah, you're taking putting weight behind the wrong the wrong thing. So it is what it is. Mate. He's doing a great job.
Speaker 4: He's doing everything that he needs to do Liam to give the team no option but to promote him to that top step. And Pereza's doing everything he possibly can to.
Speaker 3: To justify that decision.
Speaker 4: I mean, someone of it's been enough one that long to be knocked out in Q one in that car when your teammates, you know, on the front row and then go and park your car over your grid box.
Speaker 3: And then act like you didn't do it.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's someone who's long overdue for either retiring or replacement, certainly from a team like Red Bull. So he's under pressure and it's it's pretty obvious, obvious really that Red Bull needs to make the shift now. And I think even Christian Horne has maybe run out of patience with it as well. So Liam just keep doing what he's doing. He'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Hopefully it's storming a tea cup. It'll be forgotten soon. I think it's a lot of excan nationals to get really upset by the fact Checko's gone hor you know, Checko's not very happy, so they were piling into them. I understand where it comes from.
Speaker 4: Are they really I have not, As I say, I don't pay any attention. So if that's the case, it's not worth listening to.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm watching it because I can't help myself. I'm addicted to all of it. With Liam though, and what he's done, there's there's words now from Checko saying he's got to show more respect Fernando Alonso. He's not respectful that. I don't believe that for a second. You don't earn respect like that.
Speaker 3: You respect my winning Fernando.
Speaker 4: Fernando Alonso will be will be more impressed by the fact that Liam, you know, is treating him just like everyone else. So I wouldn't be wouldn't be listening to what Checko's got to say and giving his opinion on what someone else thinks. Right now, as I say he's the statements he's making and the way he's going on is based on someone who's under a huge amount of pressure to perform and proven that he's not capable.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I'm sure Fernando an.
Speaker 4: So has respect for the fact that Liam is racing him as hard as what he was. And and you know, when you're a double world champion and you're fighting rookie back in his you know, it's back at secutive Americas the other week in Texas. He's in the car for the first time this year and he's fighting Alonso. I think that's more about of frustration by Alonso, who should who believes he should be further up the grip.
Speaker 3: You read between the lines, you know, I've got to read between the lines.
Speaker 4: If one at the moment is very popular, it gets lots of attention and lots of people have opinions about it, and that's what we want. But you know, don't get too carried away and believing everything you know that you read or hear either because it doesn't in the greater scheme of the thing. It doesn't stand for a lot moving forward.
Speaker 2: You know, Liam, you know what he's done this the way he races, and I think he races with respect. When he's on the track. He doesn't go out of control, but he races with a massive amount of aggression, and we've seen that right the way through his serious As he builds up towards Formula One, he doesn't appear to have changed. He backs himself. He knows what he do. He can drive a wide car and he's got well, he's got nuts, hasn't he great? He really has.
Speaker 4: The big difference is he hasn't bought brought his way into into anything.
Speaker 3: He's done.
Speaker 4: He's did on merit. So he's driving a Formula one car on merit. He's a lot of drivers in that field who have bought their seat there and would like everyone to believe that they hadn't haven't. So you know, I don't know if we even need to justify it in any other way. He is there because he is a fantastic race car driver with the potential to be one of the best of all time. So you know, that's why he's there, and that's why Red Buller put him in a car. So if that wasn't the case, what's he doing there.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to disagree with you for one New York minute on that one. I think he's fantastic, But his behavior to me, I was like, well, it is what it is. I'm not exactly in love with that. But it wasn't like he crashed into the side of someone. He didn't get in anyone's way. It was a quick bubbed upright finger, That's all it was. And I'm off racing. It's nothing.
Speaker 4: I mean, just you know, the if you can drag something on for a long time and not have to go and actually do some.
Speaker 3: Real work, which is the case for a lot of journalism.
Speaker 4: These days, then you know that's what they'll do because it's a it's an easy thing to keep regurgitating.
Speaker 3: So it really means nothing in the great scheme of things.
Speaker 4: It's just to move on to the next one, which will be good because it will be it.
Speaker 3: We'll be at Brazil this weekend.
Speaker 4: Albeit I'm sure the Sky TV people and everybody else that does the coverage for Formula one will will drag it out and make a big deal of it this week because it's it is some kind of story. So anyway, he'll be focused on actually just going this weekend to sal Paula and putting in another great performance.
Speaker 2: I'm sure upping the anty and I love the sound effects and the crown with a fly. Greg mn if you always could get your opinions, thanks very much for joining the program.
Speaker 3: You go well, look after yourself.
Speaker 7: A vix.
Speaker 6: We've got just the ticket.
Speaker 1: It's Sports Vix powered by News Talks Ivy.
Speaker 2: He didn't see that coming, did you. In fact, nobody did, with the exception of the Silver Ferns themselves and of course their coaching staff led by Dame Nolin Todua. After flashing the Dunny on the Diamonds in the first two exchanges in New Zealand, it was roundly expected that the Diamonds would turn up and show the Silver Ferns just whose boss they showed up or right in Perth, But they didn't show the silver Ferns anything. A tight enough tussle if you will, But at the end of the day, the superior silky skills and the speed of the Silver Ferns proved too much for the Assie team to deal with. Yeah, and let's not forget the absolute weapon under the net. Someone we're going to lose for a year. Grace Weke is turning into one of the most outstanding netballers of modern times. I think that coming up tomorrow when the Silver Ferns try and sweep the Australian Diamonds, it would be great to see some changes within the lineup of the Silver Ferns and try and work on the possibility of not having Grace Wiki, which is a distinct possibility either through injury or if they don't let her play when she disappears off and plays over in Australia. But aside her, what a joy to watch in mid court, What a joy to watch Dave nol Lean enjoy the proceedings from the sideline after some pretty tough time she's been through. But look the players, they retool, they had a look at what went horribly wrong and they've now made it look horribly right. There is new energy in international netball and you've got to thank the Silver Ferns for that. Can't wait, I have to, of course, until the fourth and final. I'd like to see something change as far as the athletes, but are also really like to see a clean sweep, which is something I'd also like to see the black Caps do come their third and final Test match against the Indians. What a time it is to be a Kiwi sports fan.
Speaker 1: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsfix.
Speaker 2: We'll join now in the chamber on the Lena by Digital Sport editor for he Zellen Herald, Alex Powell. Alex, welcome on and I trust you're well Aim. Were you as weirded out by the concept of n Z are stealing Cam George? It's a rumor that's since been dispelled, but my ear is peked when I saw this one. Well, when I heard this one, what do you make of that? And welcome?
Speaker 7: Yeah, thanks having me mate, I know it made perfect sense. Cam George has done incredible things commercially with the Warriors. You look at where they are as a club and I guess as a franchise what they're doing outside of the sport with opening a bar. If NSI are about finding new revenue streams, then why not go to Cameron George?
Speaker 2: How would the league community feel about that? Or is it all love more and no one actually cares whose side who's on?
Speaker 7: I imagine that'd probably be feeling the same way the trackside racing community felt when Cam George left there to go to the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Well, you want the best but insit, I said, now it's not happening, So does that mean it is?
Speaker 6: I mean, who knows.
Speaker 7: Cam George was also pretty steadfast that he hadn't been approached whether or not.
Speaker 6: Cam George would want to leave the Warriors right now.
Speaker 7: I mean, you look at the squad that they've got on paper for twenty twenty five, you'd say the window for them to actually want a premiership is probably only about two years two years wide. So if he's going to up sticks now and then they go to win the comp at you know, twenty five or twenty six, he's going to look a bit silly as he goes to try and dig enz there NZR out of the doldrums.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm personally between me and you and everybody listening to this. I'm involved in sport. I'm not going anywhere near z Are right now. It looks like a poison to tell us. That's another story though. On incidentally, I had a dream earlier this morning that Cam George wrung me up, this is about quarter to six in the morning and said, Dars, I've got some big news. Let's record now. Dream ended, And then that happened when I walked into work how twilight zone is that.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you gave a dream about me winning Lotto, then if that's how it.
Speaker 2: Goes, okay. I tend not to dream about my colleagues. I do dream about winning Formula One, as does Liam Lawson. Still want to teake up? Well, I really think it is. It wouldn't have been my reactions. I've come down a lot now on the road. But like he casually flicked the bird, flipped the bird, excuse me up at Sasjo Paris whilst passing passing him. Nothing to see here.
Speaker 7: Right, I mean it's standard in terms of the incidents that will go down in Formula on history that barely scratched as the surface.
Speaker 6: Although I will put.
Speaker 7: It to you you and I have both covered and dealt with Lim since he was a teenager. He's now twenty two. How good to see the bit of a dark side come out. You know he's got his elbows out in the last two races. He's showing he's not here to make friends.
Speaker 2: No, I've seen racing that as you would have done as well. And once the visor goes down, the lights go he's on. He gets his elbows out like the best of them. And he will not take a backward step. You're like you asked Marcus Armstrong some of the tussles they had in TRS and Formula too. This is not unusual the gesture. Maybe it was, but heat of the moment, yeah.
Speaker 7: Heat of the moment. I mean you look at the race vision from Liam's onboard. Peris was trying to slow him down. He was trying to ruin Liam's weekend, just like Limb had done to him a few laps earlier. So I'm completely team lost them from this, and I am very biased because, like I've said, I've covered Limb for a long time and wanted to do well.
Speaker 6: But I mean, just move on.
Speaker 7: I mean all of Mexico has now flooded Liam's social media and abusing him left right in the center in Spanish, let's just scrab up, guys.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest issue here for Red Bulls not the behavior of the young racing bull driver, but it's the behavior and the lack of talent shown by Yuki Sonoda and of course Sergio Perris. They have absolutely stumbled. They're being crushed under the pressure. Just look at their results of recent times. They ain't dealing with this very well at all, are they? That's the big issue.
Speaker 6: I think that's harsh on Yuki.
Speaker 7: Yuki has shown all weekend in Mexico that he was quirk, but once you know, he crashed and qualifying and then crashed again in the race. Perryes knows that his jobs not safe here, doesn't he his actions all weekend?
Speaker 6: He was not quirk.
Speaker 7: He got a lot of fanfare for a driver that qualified eighteenth. I was sim I would be looking over both shoulders at Lamb laws and coming for his job in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: You're on an overreaction. How about the Australian media over reaction wasn't overreaction. They just got absolutely slapped in the face by the Silver Ferns who up and dominated the Diamonds again, but this time at a home court for the Aussie don't I very much? Do they?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 7: I mean remember a couple of years ago when the Silver Ferns won both of those tests in New Zealand and then completely lost it over the ditch. So a how good is it see that Daniel en Turu and her coaching staff have been able to fix that in this window. You're right, they don't like losing, then not they will accept you know, are lost in new Zeands, but not three and definitely not three in a row.
Speaker 2: They're going to come back firing or do you think it's all over lights out in Melbourne? Because I would like to see, and I've talked about this in my opinion piece, maybe a slight change up and look to see what else they can do under the net. Because Grace wiki as good as she is, she ain't going to be around forever and if they don't give a dispensation, she's not going to be around for a whole year. So maybe a bit of room to test the waters.
Speaker 6: Elex, I see that, But I raise your four nil.
Speaker 7: You know how good would it be to be the first silver fir in stent to go over and completely whitewash them in the modern era?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe whitewash them in the first three quarters and then when it's beyond reproach, they led someone else in to finish the job. How about that.
Speaker 7: Let's look at that with the shoe on the other foot though, if that's Australia to us three and up, they're not taking their foot off the gas by any means, are they.
Speaker 6: They are coming for blood and I.
Speaker 2: Think we should return the compliment. I take back everything I said and I hope they well they shred them in Melbourne and on that. Mister digital sports editor for The New Zealand Herald, Alex Powell.
Speaker 1: This is Sportsfix, your daily dose of sports news.
Speaker 6: How Invite, News Talks.
Speaker 2: Abdun Undusted Sports Fix for another day, Tuesday, twenty ninth of October twenty twenty four. I'm Darcy water Grave. Thanks for taking the time to listen, and if it's more sport talk you're after, tune into Sports Talk between that seven and eight Monday to Friday with myself or Jason Pine and of course the Piney Scott. The whole shoot Match comes sat Day and Sunday from midday through three. That is weekend sport. If you enjoyed what you've heard, please subscribe and this will come straight to your inbox weekdays that are still Tell your mates and they can have the same joy. Look after yourself and we'll catch.
Speaker 1: You again tomorrow for more from News Talks EDB listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our potcasts on iHeartRadio