Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident Builder podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from news Talks at b mead Adwice God once but maybe called Pete first. Peter wolf Camp the Resident Builder News Talk said, be.
Speaker 2: The house sizor even when it's dark, even when the grass is overgrown in the yard, and even when.
Speaker 3: The dog is too old to bar, and when you're sitting at the table trying not to start scissor home, even when we are ben gone, even when you're thereon a house sizzle home, even when those goes, even when you got around from the ones you love your most.
Speaker 4: Scream on broken paints, feeling from.
Speaker 2: The world, locals vesper when they're going to leaving.
Speaker 5: Neighbor house, even when Wilbur and love, even when you're herellone, well.
Speaker 6: Very very good morning, welcome along to the show. On the steep fourth of May, which seems to as the fourth fourth of May, fourth of May, the fourth be with you. Star Wars has kind of co opted that to be fair and to be slightly somber for a moment. It's it's a slightly more significant day for me in the sense that today marks I think today's the official day to remember the end of the Second World warf the Dutch community for the Netherlands, and so they'll actually be memorial this afternoon that I'll go to so and it's a mate's birthday as well, so it's my birthday in a couple of days. Anyway, Radio, let's get talking about building, because that's what we're here to do. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number to call? The text is up and running as well. That's nine two nine two or ZBZB from your mobile phone and if you'd like to send me an email, you're more than welcome. It's Pete Atnewstalk ZB dot co dot nz. So if you have got a project, that's maybe you're about to start, or you have started, or you have started. And look, let's be blunt. The wheels have come off the troll and the thing's plunging into the abyss and it's not going particularly well. Maybe I can help you with that as well, or perhaps with all of the changes to legislation, you're wondering which parts of the rules apply to me now. In fact, one of the things that I've been trying to get my head around this week has been around healthy home standards for heating. And then once you read through the legislation, there's some information in there that says if your heating requirement is more than two point four killer watts, which is not a lot to be fair, then basically the only acceptable form of heating becomes a heat pump. And so I was curious as to why that was the case. Why you couldn't use let's say a three killer what heater in a relatively small space in order to achieve the heating requirement. Why that suddenly was non compliant. So, as part of my sort of investigation onto this, ended up talking to some peace Pole at ECA, which is the energy efficiency people, to a guy who's actually been on the show a couple of oh gee, it might have been a year ago now who does all of the energy calculations and so on. Had a great chat with him. Actually we're catching up this week at the Green Building Council Housing summit which is on Wednesday, which I'm really looking forward to attending. And then and drilled down into why it is that that's the requirement, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. So there's some interesting stuff around. How I suppose what was interesting about that is, we've got a piece of legislation which ends up being a rule that we all need to comply with. But sometimes it's quite interesting to investigate why that rule is what it is. So that was kind of an interesting thing. It was a nice way to distract me from the mind bendingly boring task of standing about fifty odd ballisters, each one of it's a you know, it's an old villa that I'm working on, and I had to pull all the handrail off because they'd started to rot and they look pretty shonky, and the top rail had rotted and part of the bottom rail had rotted. So I ended up dissembling the entire thing, knocking off the top, bottom, top and bottom rails, taking the ballisters, which were not terribly old but hadn't lasted particularly well, and then sending them. And then as I was sort of allowing my mind to wander, when I got to like ballister number thirty six or something like that out of about fifty, trying to count the number of edges there are on a turned ballister that you've kind of got that square bit at the bottom and then it rounds over and then it goes to a little flat and then it goes to a divot, and then it goes to another flat, and then it goes to another round, and then it scollops out, and then it's got that sort of belly bit and then it goes to it. It's a lot of work old houses. I know why we don't build like we did back one hundred and something years ago when this house was originally built. Righty Oh, if you've got a project and you want to talk about it, or some legislation that you want to talk about, or new products and ideas that you'd like to talk about, the lines are open and we can talk all things building and construction. We will do that right through to about eight thirty this morning. The Root Climb past as always, will join us in the garden as we talk about all things gardening and the wonderful world of bugs as well from around eight thirty this morning. But now is your opporgenity to talk all things building and construction. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number to call? Plenty to talk about lots and still lots of legislation. Big news last week about self certification. I did a bit of an interview during the course of the week talking about what is likely to happen in terms of self certification. If you've missed this in the news, it was an announcement by the Construction and Building or Building and Construction Minister Chris Penk during the week, an idea that they've obviously been working on for a little while which will allow essentially selected or nominated building companies to sign off their own work. This is in terms of you know, inspections that are typically done by council building inspectors pre line inspections to ensure that the installation that is there, or that the timber is dry enough for lining, or that the bracing has been installed. It may not be all inspections, there's a bit of a hierarchy to them, I think, and it certainly won't be all builders, but there will be a provision for some builders who can prove that they've got the quality assurance systems in place, who have I guess sufficient size to cope with the problem of work failing in the future, and insurances that will carry on long enough to ensure that consumers are protected. So we can talk about that as well. And if you're in the industry, I've seen incredibly diverse opinions on this, in the sense that there are some who are embracing it. I talked to one guy during the course of the week whose firm is probably going to be eligible for that, and saying, hey, look, that's great. You know we've we've got the systems in place. We feel confident that we can maintain standards without necessarily having council come in and look over our shoulder. And then I've seen posts and comments online from people saying this is just going to be disastrous. So if you'd like to throw in your opinion, happy to hear at Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call, thirteen after six on this the fourth of May, Helca. Good morning, Ah, hi.
Speaker 7: Hey, good good. What's this recent storm that's just have fun. Yes, I've spoken to some people with wooden houses here in Avancos, came in from the west, you know, the storm, and they said houses were shaking.
Speaker 8: Yes, So would that affect.
Speaker 7: That our foundations are in.
Speaker 6: The same No, I mean that not this most recent storm, but the one that we had over Easter when there was a lot of thunder and so on. I mean, I'm in.
Speaker 7: An old the one that we're in a hit the skytower.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that one.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, we had some pretty heavy weather this week, you know, obviously with some flooding further down the country and so on. But yeah, I mean, look, I was woken up in the middle of the night by the thunderstorms as well, and the house shook, right. So, you know, houses are actually designed to move to some degree. Old timber houses certainly are, and so the fact that it moves a little bit probably doesn't impact on the foundations. I think what we tend to see with older houses is as we shift from like we've had a pretty dry summer to now being kind of saturated. And I could feel it in my own house where it just felt like the house had absorbed all of this moisture that suddenly it was kind of and this is what older houses do, and this is where I think sometimes, you know, there's a sense that we're doing a whole lot of things now with buildings that we didn't do in the past, and even as simple as building paper on the outside of the timber framing or ceiling around the windows and all of that is to control how moisture migrates through walls.
Speaker 4: Because it does right.
Speaker 6: And so you know, if you've got a relatively modern house that's got a really good type of building wrap or a rigid air barrier around the outside, and it's sealed around the windows, and you've got better performing joinery that doesn't allow air to go in and out around the gaps and cracks in the joinery, then you can sort of protect yourself from that. But an older house, possibly like what you live in, certainly what I live in.
Speaker 7: I live in the monastery.
Speaker 6: Ah okay, all right, See, you know, it would be really interesting to measure the indoor quality, the air quality and or the indoor environment after a period of sustained hot weather like we've had over the summer in Auckland through to now where it's kind of it's sort of like moderated in my house. But I remember when we went from we haven't had much rain to we've had a lot of rain, the house just felt different. And that's just the house sucking up moisture, which is arguably not a great thing, to be.
Speaker 7: Fair, No one other thing I did a silly thing. I opened my curtains, a lightning came right into my bed dreams, so I had to shut up. That happened, and I was in this storm and there had no curtains in the garage and the lightning came right into the room. But so I had to shut the curtains.
Speaker 6: I'm not I'm not sure that the curtains would stop the lightning. But there was an impressive photograph I think, during the week of a house out in Birkenhead that got struck by lightning as well. So yeah, this this storm and the last one, I think. What what I find really interesting is that this is when you know, we we sort of this is the test for our houses, right, you know, this is the sort of environment where even in terms of roofs lifting or in terms of how well wrapped the houses are, it's it's this sort of weather that we that we should actually not just prepare for, but this is what our houses are designed to resist. And I've seen like window testing, for example, where there's a way there's a specific formula for testing the weather tightness of windows, which is a certain amount of water for a certain period of time at a certain pressure, and so manufacturers have to test their joinery to that level, and you often go, oh, you hardly have arrains like that. But when it does, that's when we want to that's when we want our houses to perform. So it's interesting, I think, unless it's an incredibly severe storm, the fact that your house moved a little bit in the weather, I think is okay to be fair saying that. Actually this week I'm really looking forward to that. This I'm going down to Wellington for the Home and Garden Show which starts this Friday in Wellington, so Friday, Saturday Sunday at the Stadium there and I'll be down there for most of Saturday, presenting on Saturday during the day. But I'm heading down on Friday and I've got an invitation to go to BRANDS, which is the Building Research Association of New Zealand. So Brands are sort of a body that tests and determines the compliance the code for any number of products, including they've got a massive laboratory effectively where they can do fire testing, where they can do earthquake testing and so on. So you know, for all of us who have put in, you know, fixings for bracing elements for example, and we wonder what sort of pressure that wall could resist before it fails. Well, that's the type of testing that they do there. So I'm heading down to Brands on Friday morning for a bit of a walk around the factory or walk around the laboratory and a catch up with some of the people there, which I'm really really looking forward to because again, you know, you read through literature or you go and you get a brand's guide or a download and you go, well, how did they reach that conclusion? I'll find out on Friday, So looking forward to that, ahead of the Home and Garden Show which will be on in Wellington on Friday Saturday Sunday, So looking forward to that as well. Oh eight one hundred and eighty ten ages before the break this with regard to the self certification, Hey Pete, I've been building nearly twenty years. Re the self certification I was discussing was a BCEA so Building Consents Authority team leader who shares my apprehension. Twenty twenty one, we bought a transportable house from Manawatu's largest home builder. Piles were poured in a failed engineered inspection. The floor had nineteen milimeter round, had floor had ninety milimeters round, Not sure what that means. Linear seilent stops were missing. The valves or screws were rusting. The kitchen wall cracked several times. Then they realized that the wall framing under a load bearing beam was only nailed together. All real examples are documented, and all real examples documented and resolved. Self certification will likely create many issues for customers. In my opinion, BCA inspections are needed to avoid preventable issues being identified. Yeah, look, I'm not going to argue with you. That's your experience, and I guess what we hoped is that those that will be eligible for self certification will have systems in place to ensure that what sound like fairly straightforward building issues are one of the mistakes aren't made, and if they are made, they're resolved. Take more of your text on that. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call? Twenty one minutes after six back after the break with Brian.
Speaker 1: Viewing of the house sorting the garden, asked Pete for a hand the resident builder with Peter Wolfcap call oh eight eighty ten eighty news, dogs'd be.
Speaker 6: Here's another story about that New Zealand owned hearing company Resonate. It's aimed particularly at you. If you've been hit hard in your ears over years of working in noisy environments. If you know you're struggling to hear the TV, your mate stories, or your grandkid's news, it might be time to get your hearing professionally checked by the good people at Resonate. And if you really do need hearing aids, Resonate can help you figure out if you qualify for ACC funded hearing aids. If you get the green light for ACC funding, you won't have to pay a cent more to have your own pair of top quality resound hearing aids. That's right. You won't have to dip into your wallet or purse above what ACC will pay Resonate. You'll have all the help you need from your local Resonate hearing studio to fit and tune them to That's music to anyone's ears. Visit Resonate online at Resonatethhealth dot co dot nz or give them a call on eight hundred three two seven three six zero ZB your News Talk CB. We're talking all things building, construction, the practical and I guess is it the theoretical. Well, legislation is not really theoretical, but we can talk about them. So we will talk all things building construction and some products and new ideas as well. Brian, A very good morning to you.
Speaker 9: Good morning for you know. I have an old I have an old problem with Taylor fair Show.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yep.
Speaker 9: And I've lived in the past and you recommended how did fix it? Get it fixed by other people? Yes, so I just did some health here. It's just coming in. It goes round the whole house, but it's just coming in where that we said six for six on it.
Speaker 10: Yes, cam inreck my whole kitchen and everything. So I mean that I spoked to Taylor and they said they can put extra dumb papes and X all the flaws in or should I just get the whole thing replaced.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, adding some additional downpipes will help reduce you know, because I think what happens well. One of the issues with them is that I don't know that the amount of water that that system carries is particularly great, right, and so if we're having downpalls now of twenty thirty millimeters per hour, it's a it's a staggering amount out of water that your roof will collect, right, So I did the calculations. The other day we installed a new Bailey water tank onto a site and it was a twenty thousand liter tank and twenty five thousand le tank I think it was. And it was connected to a workshop with a two hundred square meter roof. So one millimeter of rain would create two hundred liters of water. Now, if we're getting you know, ten times that amount in an hour and for several hours in a row, it's a staggering amount of the volume that you collect. So, yes, if you've got relatively small gutters, which I know that the original tailor facer did, versus let's say a one fifty external spouting, right, which has a lot more volume and can carry more water, then by the time the water gets into the spouting travels to the downpipe. Often the downpipes are actually relatively small. They might be sixty five millimeter as opposed to an eighty or one hundred milimeter downpipe. That'll help, But look, I think you know the issue is when it goes wrong or when we have extreme well it's not even extreme weather. These sorts of weather events are more and more common, right, It's not unusual now to get down paws of twenty thirty millimeters of rain per hour for a sustained period. So you know what happens with that the old tailor and class facier is that it tends to flow over the back of the the upstand of the gutter and then it drops down onto the safet. And the safite is installed before the cladding, and so the water tracks along there and dives in behind the cladding. And that's that's exactly what happened in your kitchen. So you know, I think in this instance, if you had something whereby the spouting is hanging on the outside of the facia and that if the spouting can't cope, even if it flows over the back of the spouting and down in front of the faci, it it just goes onto the ground. So yes, I mean, look, I think you know, you can have a go at fixing it, or you can have a go putting in more downpipes. The other thing was putting in more downpipes is where do they go?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 11: They just flaws?
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, yes, you could install more overflows. And look, in the end, we're all constrained by budget, right, And I'm very aware that sometimes I'll make a suggestion like you should replace it, and realize that not everyone's in a position where that's affordable, in which case, if you are constrained by budget or you don't want to invest in it, then yeah, adding more overflows will help, but it's it won't solve the problem. My feeling is, I'll be quite honest about it, is that those systems typically don't work particularly well, and so having a system with facia and then outboard spouting seems to be a better solution. And the reason I mentioned the two companies that I have over the last little while is because I'm aware that they've developed systems where they've got a retrofit system that works.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 6: I'm sure there are others. I'm not aware of them. I'm happy for someone to reach out to me and say, hey, we've got a system as well. But I know that both the custom Facier guys and Continuous Group have systems that they've developed that work.
Speaker 9: So it's Customs and Continuous.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right, And I've seen both of their systems around. I've had quotes from one of them anyway for a job, just to get a rough idea, and I must stag it out. Actually I didn't think it was well, look, everything's expensive, but it didn't. It didn't feel like it was an un reasonable amount of money to charge for something that will give you so much peace of mind.
Speaker 9: If you have a lineal lilion meta, how much to a beta?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: Look, I tell you what, especially nowadays you know with gies right and with satellite imagery. What I did is it was a property that a family member was interested in purchasing. It had that concealed spouting facial system, and I said, if you go ahead and buy the property, you should set aside some money to resolve it. And so I simply sent the address. It was custom Actually who did the pricing for me. Sent it to them. They can measure it using satellite imagery and gave me a quote back, so they don't even have to send someone out, so that that part of the technology is fantastic. Get a price, and then you can decide that's always the best thing. Hey, good luck with that, you know. Yeah, Well hopefully I've just given you information you can convince yourself. There you go, mate, All the very best to your Brian, take care. Maybe this is the thing and I'm in the same situation where you know, like for Brian, he's going to spend some money to resolve a problem in the end, but he's still going to sort of get what he's already got, which is, you know, some sort of facire around the outside of the building and some spouting right the idea being it captures the water directs it to this downpipes. So you end up spending money, but you just get what you had before. In the same way that the project one of the projects that I'm doing at the moment, restoring or replacing all of the handrails and ballusters. In the end, after all of the work that I've done, I just get back what I had before, which is kind of maintenance. Normally, if we're doing projects, we want to see some dramatic improvement, and while this will look better, it'll be what I had before, just that won't be falling apart, which I suppose is better. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. If you've got a question about building, about building legislation, starting to get a few texts and around the new certification, this is a good one actually, before we go to the break, Hey, Pete, the new certifications being sold as a money saverer for the building owner. I wonder how much insurance will cost. I suspect if it's available, this will cancel out any savings. Also be interested if the insurance company sticks around when one mistake is repeated through one hundred houses. Interesting point. Look, it's a great discussion and we need to have this discussion and people need to be aware, I suppose of some of the potential pitfalls. These are also the sort of texts that I hope you'll send in again next week when Chris Pink, the Minister, will be here in the studio. We'll have a bit of a chat and you'll have an opportunity to text or possibly even phone through. So he's making himself available pretty much for an hour, which I'm very grateful for from early on Sunday morning. So looking forward to that. That's next Sunday, Sunday, the eleventh of May, oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. The number call.
Speaker 1: Whether you're paidy the ceiling, fixing the fens or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall, Give feeder, wolf gabber call on eight hundred.
Speaker 4: Eighty ten eighty the resident builder on Youth Dogs.
Speaker 6: That'd be talking all things building and construction, the actual practical bits as well as the rules and regulations and the materials that are out there, and again this is probably something to discuss with the Minister when he joins us in the studio next week. Is around the change to the legislation that will allow the importation and use of building products perhaps that haven't got New Zealand certification that are not tested here if you can prove that they've been manufactured to a similar standard as what would be acceptable in New Zealand. So again gets quite complicated quite quickly. We'll talk about that maybe with the Minister as well. To be fair, I think it makes a lot of sense. But it'll be in conversation to have with the people at Brands too when I'm down there on Friday. So really looking forward to that. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call Kate A very good morning to you.
Speaker 12: Good morning to you, Pete. I trust you, Oh well, thank you and you yes, thank you. I have a very quick question. I think I've had a bit of landscaping done and I've used Jack Matte. The chap did a good job with all of the laying of the base course and the Jack matt and filling it in. Oh he's had to box in the it's for parking, yes, so he's had to box in some areas, and there will be occasionally a car perhaps driving over the boxing if they missed the edge.
Speaker 13: O ye.
Speaker 12: And yet most of the timber that he used to box in has been retained with waratas about a third of it.
Speaker 13: He used some posts yep, which.
Speaker 12: Are one hundred by one hundred and concrete it in and then they are along the lower areas where there wasn't quite such a height that he had to retain. He's used waratas. Can they stay in the ground long term or will they rust? Or will they you know, what's the story with these things? I thought they were just for stil fence and half.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, fabulous in the sense that you know, for fencing and temporary fencing and so on. They've certainly got their uses, and I think, you know, I was looking at job this week that had some warritas used as retaining as well, but it was more in a temporary sense. Look, I think the beauty of them is that they are remarkably robust. They're easy to drive in. You know, you can drive them in a decent way into the ground. Just using a sledgehammer or something similar. If it's like edging and maybe it holds up to I don't know, one hundred and fifty two hundred millimeters, then I think they're probably not a bad solution. And look, they'll last as long as you need them to last. I think, you know, jeep as, I've probably got a collection of them underneath the house that I've used for twenty years or something like that, and they're still, you know, showing no sign of wear and tear. And I'm sure even if they were in the ground, they'd last twenty years twenty five years before they started to fail. You wouldn't, you know, because they're driven in to the ground and they're actually remarkably strong given how small they are. But I probably wouldn't use them. And it sounds like he hasn't used them for retaining anything significant. It's just where it gets quite shallow. You can use them to kind of stake the edges and and it'll probably be fine, thank you.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: It's look, I think, to be fair, if you went out and had a look at them in five years time, there'd be a little bit of rust on the top, but it's not going to you know, make it's not going to lead to failure.
Speaker 12: If that was the concern, I'm very reassured because clearly, Pete, they are going to last longer than I am.
Speaker 6: And I wasn't going to say anything like that, but I think, you know, at a certain point we all recognize that this, this is probably a reality in our lives as we age, is that some things will outlast us.
Speaker 12: Now that's great, appreciate it.
Speaker 6: No, look, I think it's in and it's straight, and it's not holding up a huge amount of weight. It'll be absolutely fine.
Speaker 12: Then they can be driven over if if somebody doesn't drive very well off the parking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, look, I wouldn't want to drive over the top of a warritor because they're relatively sharp on the top. I don't think it'd be terribly good for your tires. But yes, if somebody did drive over them, yeah.
Speaker 12: Well it's lower than in the edge of the timber. So they're driving over the timber as long as it's strong enough.
Speaker 6: And the challenging thing with them is how do you then fit the timber to it. So what I presume is they've done from the back is just use some tech screws or something like that, like a Heck's he'd screw and just screwed straight into the timber from behind.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, that's it'll be fun. Yeah, thank you, No trouble at all.
Speaker 6: Take care see then by then. And I think it was actually the Minister Chris Pine used the phrase when you did the interview last week, quick and dirty solutions. And sometimes that's okay stuff. Some stuff just needs to last for a while. But and I think this is the challenge with building and builders is you know, for all of us, we're really focused on getting our job done today. You know, if that's putting on building paper and putting wraps in or ceiling around penetrations, we're thinking about getting the job done today. And I think one of the things we have to teach the young builders coming through is that what you're actually doing is not about today. It's about next week and the week after, and the month after and the year after and effectively the decade after. You know, if we're asking for our buildings to have a minimum time to stay up in terms of the structure of fifty years, what you've got to be thinking, what's got to be front of mind when you're building, is is this going to last twenty years? This is what I'm doing going to be good enough, not just for today, but for the next twenty years. I think that's really really important. Sorry, I'll see the text.
Speaker 9: Pete.
Speaker 6: You can find the war Retar sailing on the inter Islander. That's very good. I suspect because young Isaiah, my producer, is of a much younger vintage than I, that that reference will just sail right over his head, just right over the top. But I get it, and there'll be people chuckling, So I love that. Pete. You can find the Warratar sailing on the inter Islander from Alex very good, very droll, very droll. Indeed, seventeen minutes away from seven back after the break, will take your calls. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number.
Speaker 4: Squeaky door or squeaky floor.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Peter Wolfgaf, the resident builder on news Talks, heb.
Speaker 6: You and news Talk SIB. If you've got a question of a building nature, we can take your calls right now. We've got some spare lines. That's eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and I mean This is a show where we can pretty much talk about anything related to building, whether it's the and the regulations, the practical stuff dealing with subcontractors. We had a couple of really good questions last week around subcontractors, and not so much hourly rates, because I think that's the sort of thing that you have to decide. Still have in the back of my mind one someone saying what's an appropriate margin for subcontractors to charge on materials? But I think all of these things are up to up for discussion, as in, if you're engaging with a contractor, it's part of your negotiations with the subcontractor to decide. And if you find one subcontractor, for example, who has a lower margin, you may choose to go with that person, But then you've got to look at other parts of the contractor to determine whether or not that's fair. In fact, Made of Mind rang me yesterday and said, look, I've just had some I've had three prices for scaffolding, just scaffolding for a relatively small, average sized building. Some of it's slightly taller, some of the it's not so tall. Got a scaffold around the building for painting and maintenance and also some edge protection because someone's going to be working on the roof. And the prices came in and he said, what I have noticed, and maybe you've noticed this as well, is that typically when you get a scaffolding company to come in price, the price is often for the supply and erection of the scaffolding on site, and then you get basically a month's higher included in that initial fee, and then thereafter there'll be a weekly higher until the job's finished, and then the cost of pulling it down is included in the cost of putting it up. But it seems to have changed and now all of the prices that were supplied were to supply and erect the scaffold and one week's higher basically including the price, and after one week you started paying on a weekly basis, So it seems like that's changed as well. You make here to comment, Oh eight, one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Very good question as well. On the text, Hey, Pete, there's been a lot of government announcements on building changes recently, just wondering when they will be in use. And then there's a proposed three six four changes to include medium density three stories that were announced in twenty twenty twenty one to be in place by twenty twenty three. Where is that at very good question. I'll try and save that and we can put that to the minister. So three six four is NZS three six four. It is the guide for light for basically timber frame construction up to two stories. But given that we're getting more and more developments of three stories, you can't use three six h four to design those. You have to end up having specific engineering design, obviously predominantly to deal with bracing because the building is that extra story tall. So will there be changes to three six four to allow you to use that guide as a way of designing relatively straightforward buildings to three stories high. That's a very good question. I'll photograph that text or I'll get someone to pull it off the machine and we can put that to the minister next week as well. Ten minutes away from seven to don hello there.
Speaker 14: Hello, I just rang up on site. This was interested in Palmiston North On the eighteenth of May, we are having a wood turning, a speed wood turning competition where turners are going to turn a bowl or some of the best tenners and you are going to tempt to turn a bowl in fifteen minutes. They'll all start off with just like the Golden Cheers Award, the Golden Chizzle Award, where turners are going to turn a bowl in fifteen minutes, straight off the lathe and no sandpaper, and they're going to be judged and the winner is going to get what we call the Golden Chisel Trophy.
Speaker 6: That's awesome. I love that. I think that's the.
Speaker 14: First time it's been I think the first time it's been attempted in New Zealand. Really speak takeular for for your listeners if they want to come up have a look Ammittally. It's some Palmiston North, but it's on the Sunday, the eighteenth of May at the at the Barber Hall and Water Grocery, Parmiston North.
Speaker 6: If people want to find out more, don is there like a Facebook page, Instagram website for this is someone.
Speaker 14: We can go on to the manor to Woodworkers Killed website and there's information on there about it and there is in Facebook's available too. I'm telling you all about it. It will be going all day. It's called the Central Districts Woodworking expo, and there's all sorts of people there, but they will be part of the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's Look, I really appreciate the heads up on that, and I'm curious about the technical side of it. So will each of the turners bring their own lath or will you have a whole series of laths set up?
Speaker 15: That are we provide the six lades. They're all the type of blades. Actually, they're all you know, about the same standard, so that you know, there's no penalty for having a slower laser going to.
Speaker 6: Say, you know, I mean it could be rigged.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll give.
Speaker 14: Some Yeah, we're all turning the same blank which is a piece. It was a microcappa, which is having fifty seventy five okay, and it's not only the first one past the post, it's the more consistency of the bowls as well, and finish it again and things like that, and some quite good price manage to be made. So yeah, and so we're going to try it a manerer Widuks Guild. And I just thought your listeners would be brilliant, brilliant.
Speaker 6: I'll look it up online as well, and I think that's awesome. It'd be a great thing to.
Speaker 4: Be part of. Thank you very much much pleasure, all.
Speaker 6: The best on all take care. So just those details again. I think if you search Manoa two wood Workers Guild, it's the Central District's wood Turning Festival eighteenth of May Palastan North Fay because I got a message from some friends of mine in the UK the other day who who as a day out sort of thing. They went and found some local wood turners and had a day or a morning of wood turning. Never done it before in their lives, but obviously with some professional supervision they were able to go and create something. I haven't done wood turning since.
Speaker 4: Kriichi.
Speaker 6: I think pretty much. The one and only time that I ever did wood turning was in woodwork class with mister Buckton in about nineteen seventy eight. Thank you very much. Form one nineteen seventy eight woodworking class with mister Buckton, and he allowed me at the end of the year to use the lathe. And I tell you what I made, effectively like a mallet you know that you'd use for chisling. And I made that and I've still got it. I've still got it and I still use it from time to time. One of my most treasured possessions, to be fair, a mallet that I made nineteen seventy eight, woodworking class. Ah see, good stuff last eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. The number the call pat Hello there, Hello.
Speaker 16: Just to be call. I don't even remember. I ran you before Christmas about my conservative roof that had hail damage for the third time. And my son in law has replaced the roof with the refrigerating panels and then it's marvelous.
Speaker 6: Okay, So this has been a solution to a problem with the conservatory roofs leaking.
Speaker 16: Yes, yes, and it was it was full of holes that hailstones, and the raid got into the first layer and it went all green.
Speaker 6: I think too. There there's something about, you know, the change in the environment and climatic conditions and so on, that you know in the same way that I think we used to look at It's almost like twenty five thirty years ago we all discovered that actually having north facing aspect is really really cool, right for our really really hot actually for our houses. So let's orientate our houses to the north, let's open them up to the sun and so on. But now suddenly we're also going criky. It gets boiling hot, and the same a little bit with conservatories. You know, hey, let's have this grape, big glass structure and absorb all of this heat. And now we're sort of going criky. Now that we've got all this heat, How do we manage it? What do we do with it? Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. So I think replacing clear roofing, let's say, with something that's actually insulated like that insulated roof panel in some situations makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 4: That's awesome, it certainly does.
Speaker 16: But also too, when he was out there, he noticed where I've had a man out there to clear up my spou thing. Yes, it was awful at cracks.
Speaker 8: At this for me thick, Oh okay.
Speaker 16: Big hole. So now I'm morter tized and I'm so happy with its.
Speaker 6: Ring and oh that's fabulous. No, I really appreciate the update. And look, it does feel good when we do. You know, if we know we've got a problem with our houses, right, whether it's leaky this or a door that's a bit funny, or we know that the downpipe is not quite working, or the simple satisfaction of cleaning out your guttering right, just knowing that it works when it rains and it will and knowing that it works feels great. Saying that I've now written a note to myself to say I've got a place that I look after. And when I was up there the other day patching the roof actually ahead of the storm, just for eester, I looked at the spouting and thought, oh, it's been too long since I've done that. So that's on my list of things to do this week. So I'll see if.
Speaker 4: I feel good by next week.
Speaker 6: Yeah, always always, Hey, thanks for calling all the very best.
Speaker 8: Bye I them okay, bye bye.
Speaker 6: A couple of other actually some really good texts coming through with regard to the buildings and so actually just another comment just to sort of balance things out. I guess around the tailor facer and I'm not trying to be critical of whether it's Taylor Facier or Class Facier.
Speaker 1: Helping you get those DIY projects done right. The Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcat call, Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty Youth Talk ZB, your.
Speaker 6: New TALKSZB, welcome back to the show. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty Is that number to call if you've got a question of a building nature, whether that's materials, processes, legislation, contractors, legislation in terms of what you can do yourself and what you can't, we can talk about all of these sorts of things if you've got projects on and again I love that call, just very briefly from Don talking about a wood turning competition, and part of me was listening to that thinking are there enough people doing wood turning to make, you know, to get a team together effectively for a competition, But I actually think it's it's surprisingly popular, and the number of people that have probably got a lathe in the shed or you know, under the house in the basement and that sort of thing and doing the wood turning probably quite large numbers. And the idea of a fifteen minute competition to turn a bowl all using the same size piece of timber, the same type of timber and similar lathes would actually be quite good to watch. I have to say it's very tempting anyway. The man mone We Two wood Workers Guild will be holding that competition on the eighteenth of May. I have to say I'm sorely tempted not to participate, and like I said, I haven't used Alaye since nineteen seventy eight, but to watch it would be great fun. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. Let's talk all things building and construction. I mentioned changes. I guess to legislation we can talk about that, and also from time to time. And I suppose as the weather turns from summer to winter, we start looking a little bit more critically at how well our roofs and our stormwater deals with collecting and die erecting the rainfall that lands on our roofs to the stormwater system, and so a lot of calls over the last little while around. I guess it was a system from the nineteen nineties. I guess that seemed it was very popular at the time, particularly in developments where you had effectively a facire on the outside and then you had concealed spouting behind it. So typically when you look at a New Zealand house, you've got a bit of fashion board and then we clip on some spouting on the outside of that. And so many people have had troubles with it, whether the capacity is not right, the number of down pipes is not sufficient anymore, and so on and so forth, and what the systems are. A couple of people of text and said, hey, look I've got it that I've kind of solved the problem or alleviated the problem installing overflows and then changed the square down pipes into eighty mili round down pipes extra downpipe where it was easy to connect to the existing stormwater drainage. This released the pressure on the system. Problem solved, says Bushy. And he said he followed up with them to install an extra downpipe close to the valleys, as that's where the highest volume of water comes down. Which makes a lot of sense, isn't it, Because what you're talking about with the valley is where two pictures of the roof combine their stormwater collection into a valley and then shoot that down towards the spouting. So that's where you're going to have a lot a concentrated amount of water coming down. So if you install a downpipe near to that, if you can the only kind of And I was looking at a roof the other day, which you know, to nineteen sixties building, and they had one down pipe on one side of the house and one down pipe on the other. And we're talking a building of maybe a roof space of sort of one hundred and fifty odd square meters with two down pipes and a long way to run, you know, and that's not going to be great. But then the challenge is, Okay, if I wanted to add an extra downpipe, I've got to connect that to the storm water, which might mean having to drill through the basement and sling a new down pipe underneath and collect up. And then I've still only got one connection point. The idea of digging up the storm water in the ground and running a whole new pipe. Suddenly it becomes a much bigger job. So there can be some challenges. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Let's get into it, Tony. Good morning, Hello Tony.
Speaker 17: Oh yes, sorry, how are you breakfast?
Speaker 6: Fair enough to?
Speaker 17: Yeah? Look, I've got one hundred year old house and at the back of the property is a garage right on the boundary. It's sort of been converted into a rumpus room sleep out sort of story. Yes, it's plaid in five the light and because.
Speaker 6: Boundary, you sure it's fiber light not an asbestos type material.
Speaker 17: Well, either way, I know what you mean, okay. And because it's on the boundary. We don't really see it, but I had a look the other day and some of the sheets are cracked and broken and things like that. It has about fifteen mills of jib board on the studs and then the i'll call it fiber light there has been stuck onto that, like nailed through into the stud work.
Speaker 6: So there's plaster board on the outside of the framing and then the sheathing over the top of that.
Speaker 17: Yes, I presume because it's on it's on the boundary that it's probably fire rated.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 17: Yeah, Okay, So I don't want to reclad. Can I Can I get new fiber light and stick it on top of the existing stuff that's there? And if I do that, what what do I need to glue it with any.
Speaker 6: And I presume this is just to make the building more durable. This isn't to turn it into a habitable space or anything like that.
Speaker 4: It's going to.
Speaker 17: I'm just concerned because the sheets are cracked and all somebody's gone to before and tried to repair it and they've just sort of squirted group everywhere.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just I suppose I would. My caution would be around, do you know what you're dealing with in terms of the cladding. This is just from a safety point of view, so I think to be sure that you're not inadvertently going to cause us exposure to asbestos, I would take a small sample off, put it into a plastic bags a plot bag, take it down to a laboratory and get it tested in terms of whether or not it's acm SO an asbestos containing material. Given the vintage of it, it's likely to have asbestos in it. And the only reason I'm cautious around that is that inevitably, if you're going to fix an other type of sheathing over the top of it, like another fiber cement sheet for example, you're going to have to penetrate that existing one, so drill through, for example, and when you drill through, you'll create dust. That dust is fibers that could become airborne, right, So either you're going to breathe it in or it's going to fall on the ground and potentially someone else will be in contact with it. So I think it's really important to do the testing to determine what it is that you're dealing with. If it is asbestos, then you can carry on and do the work, but you need to then control the risk of exposure to the asbestos. So let's say let's say you had it tested and it doesn't have any asbestos in it. I would think that you'd slightly scuff the surface. Is it painted or not painted? It's being painted, it's being painted, okay. So the issue is if you put some adhesive onto the paint, it'll stick to the paint. But we don't know if this paint's going to stay stuck to the she thing, right, so you might want to scuff it or even you know, just remove the paint coding where you're going to apply some adhesive, or you just use fixings, right, So determine where the studs are and the nogs are if it's got nogs, and then go okay, And I would probably set my sheets up in such a way that they don't match the existing one, so overlap by half. So if you've got the sheets at twelve hundred and the studs at six hundred centers, offset them so that your new sheet laps over the join and the old one, so they're staggered it. You know, you know what I mean?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I understand.
Speaker 6: So then I would probably just clean the surface down if if you think it will adhere, you could put some dobs of sealant onto it. Otherwise I'd get the new sheets, set them up, offset, fix them through with maybe a stain you know, just go for a stainless steel, even a panhead, right, don't try and hide their fixings so you're not drilling through and trying to countersink it. And then just fix your new sheets over the top of the old ones, and just a silicon bead in the joint because you know it's a double layer of waterproofing it's unlikely to leak. And then fix a new sheet over the top silicon the joints, paint it and job done.
Speaker 17: And what's what adhesive would you use if you're going to go.
Speaker 6: I mean, something as simple as max bond would probably work. I know I've pretty much started using them. There's a Pseudle product called fix All which I find really really good, so pseud Ale or Gorilla fix all. So fix All is really good.
Speaker 9: Thank you very much, good luck.
Speaker 6: Take care of it. But you know, just just so I can sleep at night, make sure you do the testing, eh, yes, please, all right, all of this, thanks take care, sir, oh eight hundred eighty eighty the number to call. It's let me see seventeen minutes after seven Catherine, Good morning, Yes, good morning Pete.
Speaker 18: Hello, my neighbor and I were wandering. We've had a section sold just across the road from us, or down the road further. There's been those you know, little shoe boxes built two stories high. And then somebody told us that, oh, how I say this quickly? Well, anyway, can can three storied buildings be built?
Speaker 6: Still?
Speaker 8: Yes? Oh, but.
Speaker 6: It's always slightly more complex than that. So funny. I was reading an article yesterday. So some of this comes out from the planning regulations around medium density, right, And so if you cast your mind back a little while ago, when Labor was in power, they actually did like a bipad partisan agreement with National to say, what we want to do is introduce legislation that will allow three story buildings to be built on typical residential sites without necessarily requiring a resource consent, which, to be fair, I thought was madness and would lead to some terrible outcomes. And I was surprised that it got bipartisan support. Now that now has been rescinded, so that I think at the moment there's still requirement for a resource consent, but in most of our urban areas there is a move to intensification, right, So we want to have more people living closer to transport, hubs and facilities and so on, and one way of doing that is to take three bedroom cottage off and put on multi units. And in some cases it was like you could do that pretty much anywhere unless it was like a special heritage zone. To be fair, it feels like that legislation is in a little bit of a state of flux, but more and more parts of large urban environments can have that. This for you, if you go to the council website, your local council website, you should be able to bring up planning legislation. I suspect that if you've found that further down the street they've been able to do it, then chances are they might be able to do it next to you. But there are when you go onto the council websites, this would be true right across the country. You can see what the urban zones are, how they're divided up, and so there's there's some urban zones that are quite specifically one dwelling per site, right and that can't change. But there are other urban zones which are mixed residential or designed for intensification. And then in those areas, yes, people can do multi story buildings. Three story buildings are increasingly common and you might end up with three or four right next to your house. Yes, it's possible. God yeah, And I mean, you know, obviously I'm a bit more familiar with Auckland because that's where I live and I drive around and there are lots of these developments happening.
Speaker 18: Can apply the individual house go through be built through stories.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, if the planning legislation allows for it. You know, you could get a planner to consult for you. But I think it's actually pretty straightforward. If you go to the council websites, search through the planning legislation into your address, into the GIS, which is an online tool, and that will show you all sorts of things about where services are located, what natural hazards might be. I know, for Auckland Council, for example, they've updated or they've created a new platform that allows you to see whether you're in a flood zone or what the impact of flooding has been that's been fascinating. I find it fascinating to look at that, and it's updated data, so it's based on you know, recent events that have indicated that perhaps zones that are likely to be impacted by flooding are much more extensive than we might have expected in the past. So that'll be in there, and that's the sort of thing that might prevent development, you know, if counsel might say, well, actually that area there is in fact now flood prone. So yes, you could build, but your floor level has to be higher, in which case the building then might exceed heightened relation to boundary, and therefore you could do two stories but not three stories. But there is a lot of detail available online if you want to take the time to sort of go through it, or like I say, you could ring a planner and just go, hey, what's likely to happen? I guess. The other thing that sometimes comes as a shock to home owners or property owners is that those sorts of buildings can be built and you actually don't get a say in it. So some resource consents are not notifiable or non notifiable, in which case developer property developer can go to council make an application with a resource consent and they can grant that without having to consult with neighbors, in which case you don't actually have a lot of ground for objection. Every now and then, some residential developments require the agreement of a neighbor, so you know, they might say, well, look, actually it's it's slightly too high in that corner. Could you sign off on it? And then you could sign off on it, but you could also decline it, and then they'd have to go through a more extensive process to try and get permission for it. So not necessarily a simple answer. But the you know, planning legislation is quite complex and it deals with so many kind of moving parts and literally you know, again, if you take the time and go and have a look on the on the planning maps, you might find that, you know, houses on one side of the street are zoned you know for intensification or medium density, and how on the other side of the street will be restricted to single dwellings per site, or one end of a street will be zoned for intensification and the other end of the street won't be.
Speaker 7: Oh thank you for that information. I will pop on line and have.
Speaker 3: A look.
Speaker 6: Quite the gis in particular and I use the Augland Council one, you know, seemingly fairly regularly, but I'm sure most councils around the country will have that information available online.
Speaker 7: Okay on an Aorkland anyway.
Speaker 6: Okay, just go to the Auckland Council website and navigate your away from there.
Speaker 13: Oh, thank you so much, Pete, Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: A little nice to talk to you. Thank you, Catherine. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number to call? Had a couple of texts. You know, we talked about roofing, but some pieces someone has texed through had no idea that the Roofing Association of New Zealand existed. I've mentioned them a number of times. I've been involved with a couple of their events. I got to know some of the people involved with the Roofing Association over the years. It's a this is where I really do support these sorts of professional bodies, let's say, or trade organization bodies, whether it's Master Plumbers, the Roofing Association, New Zealand, Institute of Building Surveys, all of these sorts of organizations that are there where people can apply for membership. And I think particularly in terms of roofing. You know that I think there's some certainty or surety for consumers. You and I that if we're dealing with a contractor who has sought and had approval to be a member of an organization like this, like the Roofing Association of New Zealand, that you know, outside of sort of government or local government or LBP control, you've got a body that you can go to if you've got an issue with that particular contractor. So my advice has always been, if you're getting roofing work done of whatever description, just check and see whether the person is a member of the Roofing Association of New Zealand. That would be my advice. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call twenty coming up, twenty six minutes away, twenty six after seven. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call if you've got a building question, whether it's the old garage reclad or you're talking about planning legislation, we're talking wood turning, we're talking landscaping, we're talking the old concealed spouting and facia and recent storms and the impact that they've had. And I've tuned in with interest to the news story around seven o'clock this morning, talking about people and the sort of sense of unrest or disquiet that we have now with weather events, wondering are our houses okay? And I mean, look, there's significant slips and flooding in the South Island round Selwyn. I have to say I looked at there was a photograph that appeared online of a There's been a lot of criticism around the extent of the development in Selwyn and its impact potentially on flooding. Selwyn's one of the fastest growing regions in the country. You can measure that through building consents and so on. And the photograph that I saw was a street with a whole lot of houses under construction and the portloo basically floating down in the flooding. So you'd go, okay, they've got problems with flooding right now. What happens when the subdivision's finished? Fair question? I think twenty seven minutes after seven your news talk set b people of Camp with you this morning. The lines are open. The number to call eight hundred eighty ten eighty met.
Speaker 1: Twice God was but maybe called Pete first, Peter Wolfcamp.
Speaker 4: The resident Builder News Talk sa'd be.
Speaker 6: Your news talk se be open line on all things building and construction. Pete, I think you baffled, Catherine, I hope not. Most people don't understand there's a difference between a resource consent and a building consent. That's from bill. Yeah. In fact, yes, I had a similar discussion with someone yesterday actually in terms of a resource consent issued for a fairly extensive renovation in a heritage area, and that council were not signing off on the resource consent at the end of the bill because allegedly one of the elements that was included in the resource consent was not done as per the resource consent. So try and do this as simply as I can. So if you're doing a development where you have to get a resource consent before you can get building consent, So typically if it's in a heritage zone for example, or if you're doing intensification or subdivisions that sort of thing, there'll be a resource consent that needs to be issued by the council prior to you being You have to get the resource consent before you get the building consent. You get the building consent, you go ahead. You do the work, you get your final inspection. If you pass the final inspection, you can submit for a CCC, so a code compliance certificate at the end of the project. I don't know whether you can get your code of compliance without having the resource consent signed off. So, for example, with a resource consent, there might be a requirement to ensure that the impermeable and permeable areas are set down. It's a certain amount of site coverage that you're allowed to do. And so when you've finished the development, you go back to council, ask the resource consents Compliance Monitoring officer to come out with the resource consent details and look at the project and go, okay, is the driveway the width that we said that it was permissible in terms of impermeable or if the driveway was going to be permeable, has it been done as permeable as their sufficient planting the fences as? But whatever the regulations around the resource consent are. In this case, it was a heritage issue around chimneys. So then they'll sign off the resource consent. And I'm pretty sure you can't get your coded clients until the resource consent has been signed off. So if there are conditions in the resource consent. You have to prove that you've met them and then the building will be compliant. So yeah, there is there is some power in the resource consent as well. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call Gail hellelou there ah.
Speaker 19: Hi, I only heard the second part of that call regarding fixing over asbestos cladding. So be question was that for a garage.
Speaker 6: It was for a garage. It was an older garage. It's used as kind of a sort of a rumpus room, not really habitable space. They're not trying to upgrade it into a habitable space, which would require a building consent. It's just it's starting to get some cracks in it, and what's a solution. Well, one solution is to just sheath right over the top of it. But at the same time, and I've had a couple of texts and yeah, people going off, why don't you take it off and do it properly and all the rest of it. Well, in some cases just putting it over is an acceptable solution. It's an official term. I'm not suggesting this is an official way of doing it, but you know, every now and then we do stuff in building that it might not be compliant or whatever or technically part of the rules, but it works, right, So adding she thing over the top of an old garage is one way of fixing the problem.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Okay, my daughter's brought up a two story house and the bottom part of it's breaking. The top parts is festos that needs recreating, and I did suggest to her maybe you can fix it over top of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, except I think if that sort of thing, I think you'd be you'd be struggling to do that and do it as repairs and maintenance under Schedule one of the Building Act, right, So I would I'd probably get some advice either from building survey or go directly to council. But I don't feel that you would be able to just go, hey, look, it's essentially it's like a flat fiber cement or is it a profiled material plaid shadow clads not asbestos?
Speaker 11: Oh, isn't it?
Speaker 9: Maybe?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think go and get it tested. And the reason for the reclad is that the cladding is no longer weather tight.
Speaker 13: Correct.
Speaker 19: Yeah, the previous ogners have just let it run down so much. You know, people mad how they do that?
Speaker 6: Look it happens, and it's not terribly uncommon. I think, yeah, okay, and look, if they were going to reclaud I think, I mean there are This is just to throw something else into the mix. There's quite a lot of sort of development going on around. It's driven by re the desire to add more insulation to existing houses.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 6: So you know, anything prior to nineteen seventy eight probably doesn't have any insulation in the exterior walls. Some of the insulation would be poor quality, et cetera. So typically we kind of pull off linings and add insulation into the existing cavities in the wall. There are also now some systems being developed where the insulation is added to the exterior of the building. So you leave the old line of the old cladding on, you add battens and create a cavity on the outside. You fill that cavity with insulation, and then you add new sheathing, new pladding to the exterior. One of the systems I've seen is one called Parker wrap. So yeah, Parker as in wearing a part so pa ka Parker Wrap. There might be some other systems out there as well, but this is a new system where you go actually let's leave what we've got intact, right, because it's quite disruptive pulling off all linings and all the rest of it. We'll leave it intact, and maybe we'll upgrade the joinery, but we'll add new insulation on the exterior and new exterior cladding. And so that type of system might also be a solution for your daughter.
Speaker 19: Product look into that, because I did think it because I have heard you talking about that before, and she was wondering about having to replace windows then as well.
Speaker 6: But you don't necessarily have to. I mean, obviously you need to do some detailing around the flashings, how you make that junction weather tight. But you know, if you've got old, poor quality joinery with single glazing, then yeah, maybe replacing it a big step towards getting a more higher performing house.
Speaker 19: Yeah, she wants. She's thinking of doing that also, it's just with the budget. Can afford it all?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 19: So another quick question this quick she's what large windows because it was architecturally designed, so she I know, you can't alter the woods, but if she wants to make them shorter, she says, it's a bit like a fish bowl and it'll be cheaper if she can get smaller windows. About altering the woods, do you need a consent of that?
Speaker 6: No? No, not really. I wonder whether making the windows small it means having to extend your cladding right to fill up the gap. So if it's a two and a half meter wide window and you decide to make it eighteen hundred, you've got six hundred of extra cladding that you're going to install, which means then you're doing cladding and cladding and weather tightness typically triggers a requirement for a building consent, but you know, you could you could have that discussion with counsel around Look, I'm just I'm adding like for like cladding, although in this instance you don't want to do like for like because you're actually thinking about recladding.
Speaker 19: M she'll do it properly, properly with everything else the window side, Whether that can be a dramat to make them well.
Speaker 6: It will make the building consent simpler because you're not having to do any you know, design around the span of the lintels and that sort of thing if you're making them smaller. And you're right, and I think what she's probably picked up on is something that you know, I mean I know that New Zealand we love the idea. If we've got a view, we want to maximize it, right, and typically we maximize it by installing joinery, you know, large bits of glazing, which is awesome, but then we've also got to compensate for the fact that, you know, we can get a certain amount of performance out of our glazing, but it's not anywhere near the performance from a wall that's well insulated. So yeah, part of it's a.
Speaker 19: Good solution just well, yeah, the windows are so expensive now as well.
Speaker 6: That's an interesting point too. Yeah, if you're putting in smaller windows, you'll drive down the cost. I mean that's a balancing, isn't it. You know, you we want warmth from the sun. But then now we're talking about lots of our new builds being overheated. I think a lot of that is poor design, lack of shading, those sorts of things. Certainly lack of any actual active ventilation inside houses that as we build increasingly airtight, we need to ventilate. We need to ventilate, right, So fascinating all Yeah, I know it opens a whole can of but it's great. Yes, alright, Hey, lovely to chat with you, take care, go by thing you and news talks be twenty minutes away from eight.
Speaker 4: Doing other house storting the garden.
Speaker 1: Asked Fete for a hand the resident builder with peta wolfcab.
Speaker 4: Call eight hundred eight news talks be your.
Speaker 6: News talks, he'd be, and the lines are open. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call. Robert, good morning to you, Hey.
Speaker 8: Good morning. Yeah, I've got the property. Whether I told the well years ago when.
Speaker 6: This Robert, you might have you radio on in the background, which will be a bit stracting off there you go.
Speaker 13: Mm hm.
Speaker 8: Anyway, I'm on the on the on the river side of the Foul River, and just as what I am, because the water is and all the some water is because I've got the two main sewer drains on and main where everything, and sometimes they get blocked up, but they're not blocked up. Only the drains. They're not the old clear pipe drains and they used to do drain. And I know that the old clay pipe drinks are all right, but it's the ground moves that sort of do move as well, and that's all blocked up under the water. It is all a rain water just as well. It's a I've got a concrete wall at the side and it's just running over the top down into the river.
Speaker 20: Right.
Speaker 8: Wrung the count I wrung.
Speaker 11: The Count's suffered.
Speaker 8: They said they'll get back to me and get back to me, but they're getting back to me.
Speaker 6: I think it's important to note that, you know, drainage on your own property is your responsibility, it's not counsel's responsibility. So you know, if it's catchment from your own property, as a property owner, we're responsible for its control and discharge.
Speaker 8: Well I know that, But the thing is this is from other properties government, from up across across the across the way. Yes, and to put all these new where this old lady lived across the road, across the folders and the bill is five plats there. So that's not what have been helping anything either.
Speaker 6: I mean, typically, you know, developers as part of the development have to you know, upgrade systems. Sometimes. I'm aware of a couple of cases where developer, if you're wanting to add let's say three townhouses where there was one old house and there's no connection to the storm water, they have to come out and down the road and into a council stormwater line and in some cases they have to pay to upgrade that as well. So you know, ideally when that development took place, the developer should have ensued or should have been made to ensure that the stormwater discharge from the property can be controlled. Now it's quite possible that I.
Speaker 8: Can't understand why the counselor to build these five new flats just way opposite more or less my property when it was a single Houseboy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, look, that's that's a much bigger is in terms of town planning and intensification and housing affordability and so on. And I mean, look, I think as a country, as a you know, individual cities, we're going to need to intensify, right. I don't like the idea just spreading out further and further into the countryside. We want more people, ideally living in good quality housing and well planned subdivisions and so on inside our existing urban boundaries. And yes, that's going to mean where there was one house, there is now going to be three, four or five houses. So that that's where planning legislation, if it's good, will help with that. Look in terms of solving the problem for you you know, if it's old terra cotta pipe type drainage that you've got, and that's quite common in hundreds of thousands of New Zealand houses, it just reaches the end of its life and probably the only solution is rip it out and replace it, or in some cases you can do sleeving just to ensure that there's no see pitch out of that. But and neighbors do have an obligation to control storm water. It's unfortunate that council aren't more helpful with that because they really should be. Thanks for you. Call Robert all the very best with that, Paul, Good morning to you.
Speaker 11: Yes, good morning, Peter, how are you very well?
Speaker 9: Thanks?
Speaker 6: What's up?
Speaker 11: Oh, it's an pretty simple one. I recently Well, first of all, I'm basically be paid a wheelchair bound and I got someone to put in a three three meter good old fashioned tin galvanized shed.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 11: Now, the roof, of course, is just two pitches, one on each side, and it's corrugated time on top of it is a camping right.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 11: Now, I'm in Northland and we get some fairly strong winds and the storms, and when that happens, the rain blows up yep, men corrigations and under the ridge because there is no flashing. Yes, how can we sort this out?
Speaker 6: So typical process for roofing when you come up to a ridge like that is you actually turn the trough of the sheet up before you put the flashing on, which you know, if it's corrugated, you use like a spanner or something like that, and you take the trough and you turn it up. What that does is provides a little dam so wind blow and rain hits that. And you know, in most instances mystand that, Yeah, so that that's typically what you do. So you take the ridge cap off, you turn up the troughs of all of the sheets. The other thing you can do is before you put the ridge cap back down on there, you can get like a foam profiled filler that you can put down. Yeah, just a foam. It'll come in the different whether it's corrugated or trapezoidal or whatever it is.
Speaker 11: You put that in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's already profiled, right, so it's designed to match the profile of the roofing iron that you're using. Put that on just up from the bottom of the flashing, the lower edge of the flashing, and again that'll stop water being driven in by the wind.
Speaker 11: The bottom edge of the non flashing.
Speaker 6: Is what you mean of the top flashing. So if you've got a ridge flashing that spans both sides, you do a layer on both sides as well as turning up the trough of the sheet.
Speaker 11: No, I understand this is just a straight flat panel.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, So sometimes with those ridge cappings they're not profiled as well, so they don't go down into the sheet. And again you've got quite a big gap there, you know. That's where again typically on a roof, your head flashing or your your ridge flashing will have soft edge on it that you can push down into the profile, or in some cases you cut the flashing to match the profile to stop exactly. Yeah, we don't use that anymore. It's a soft edge. Yeah, yeah, it should be available, Paul, good luck with all of that. Sounds like a relatively simple fact, but sounds like you might need someone to help you with that. Good luck with that one. It is coming up nine minutes away from eight.
Speaker 1: Whether you're peaty with ceiling fixing with feds or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall, give Peter wolf Cap call on.
Speaker 4: The resident builder on you Dogs B.
Speaker 6: News Talks B Pete just listening to this is a good one, just after Paul's sorry Robert's conversation about drainage Peat just listening to the strainage question. When a council has given consent for a neighboring property to raise its land, which then causes the neighbors to flood, are they responsible for this?
Speaker 21: Look?
Speaker 6: Getting them to be responsible or take responsibility is probably quite difficult. But I would have thought that I might be a bit naive, or I might be overly optimistic, but I would have thought that if they got permission to raise the ground level, that they would also then have in place some design to cope with overflow. Right, So you know, whether that's catchment from the roof area, it's got to be directed into storm water. If it's permeable or impermeable surfaces, catchment from that needs to be directed to storm water. The design ideally shouldn't then direct stormwater or groundwater on even ground, just rainwater that lands on the ground to a neighboring property. It really shouldn't, but let's not saying it might not. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number, Maggie, Hello there.
Speaker 22: Good morning. I live in a seventies built home. The frontage has a balcony across the front, which would be about twenty eight meters. On their balcony is pieces of decking. The grooved decking. I'm not sure what you call it. I noticed that some of the joints in the decking are now like shrinking and then starting to come up, curl up like a stale sandwich, and the screws are no longer holding that dicking down. Have you come across any problems like this?
Speaker 6: So I presume it's decking that's a buttered together. So it's not like tongue and groove or anything. It's just regular decking.
Speaker 22: It's regular decking.
Speaker 6: We're going to run into the news at eight o'clock and I'm trying not to crash into it like I normally do, as if it's unexpected. So stay listening and I'll it's a pretty simple facts. I'll address that straight after New Sport and Weather top of the hour at eight o'clock here at News Talks c B.
Speaker 1: Squeaky door or Squeaky floor Get the right advice from Peter Wolfgare the resident builder on news TALKSB Your.
Speaker 6: New Stalks c B. And just before the news we were talking to Maggie about the decking and some of the joints lifting and the boards shrinking. Maggie, roughly, how old is the decking?
Speaker 22: Not sure, Pete. I've been in the house five years now, yep. But it is a seventies house and just looking at it, it looks like it may have had some some boards replaced at some time. But if we go back to original seventies.
Speaker 6: It's getting and that's kin kind of you know, things have a lifespan, right, and decking in some cases, you know, if it's like, for example, if it was a pine decking and it was I don't know, twenty five, twenty years old something like that, it's probably getting to the end of its life. So at a certain stage you might just need to sort of face the fact that it just needs replacing. However, if it's more a maintenance type thing, and if it's just some screws that are coming out, I would simply take those screws out, find a longer decking screw and have someone refix it using the existing holes with a longer screw that will get some bite into the jost below and try and fix them down. Some of the boards that have got a twist in it that you can't get out, maybe you just need to replace them, like for like. But at a certain stage, I do wonder whether you might be getting to that point where it just needs to be lifted and the decking replaced.
Speaker 22: Lived the whole deck, or adjust a.
Speaker 23: Shark.
Speaker 6: I mean, look, that's the thing. You can just replace the boards that are particularly twisted, but it will look like you know, it'll be a bit piecemeal and bit patchy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 22: Yeah, it's a coaler deck, I'm told, Okay, it's.
Speaker 6: A coiler deck. Look if it's I'm just trying to think of the last one that I replaced. You know, if you get fifteen twenty years, they're pretty close to the end of their life by the end. And that's no disrespect to the product. It's just they do you know, we're out, and when they do, maybe you need to replace them. But in the meantime, you could replace the boards that are particularly twisted and add some additional fixings and that'll at least stop it being a hazard. So good luck with that. I hope it works. Out it is nine minutes after eight. Does that be a couple of weeks ago? Someone rang and was talking about sort of faded aluminum jewinery. Interestingly enough, so in many cases you'll get faded aluminium jowinery. Maybe the garage door looks a bit dull. So aluminium powder coated surfaces can fade and discolor over time. New Zealand weather, the intense weather the UV causes oxidation and corrosion on aluminium windows and garage doors. So Nanoclear is a solution to restore and protect these surfaces. Today, Daniel, one of Nanoclear's professional applicators, is here to tell us a bit more. Daniel, good morning, Good morning Peter, how are you hey? Now, I know Nanoclear is like a protective coating, so tell us a little bit more about it and what makes it the best solution for the protection of aluminium window frames and garage doors.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thanks Peter.
Speaker 21: We have a team of friendly professionals who take care and special attention to protecting your podder coded surfaces, increasing the look and the value of your asset, whether it be your personal home or your business. Now, Nanoclear is a spray on coating and it has several key benefits that offer long term protection to your garage doors and your aluminium jewnery. So they said, it's a spray on finish and it gives you a smooth and as new finished, we can adjust the gloss level from matts to full gloss or even apply that texture on the new aluminium jowinery, extrusions on that, on that on the new windows. So Nana Player is six times harder than paint and it's highly resistant to scratches. It's also chemical in solvent resistant, so houshash treatments, bug sprays, sunscreen off your hands, and even graffiti won't stick to the surface.
Speaker 14: It can all be.
Speaker 11: Easily wiped off.
Speaker 21: Yeah, and like you mentioned, it's uve resistant, so meaning it won't fade and it'll protect your jowinery for up to ten years.
Speaker 6: It is impressive, and I suppose especially for houses where maybe you've done a retro fit of the double glazing, it can be a little bit tricky when you've got some old new jowinery side by side, might end up looking a bit patchy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 21: Yeah, after retrofitting, we make sure the jewinery is coded evenly so the old areas look just like the new extrusions, avoiding any discrepancy and color that can be obvious with retrifiting. So to do this, we coake the entire window to ensure a uniform like newer pearans. This option it not only helps achieve a warmer home at a lower cost and replacing the jewinery, but it also transforms the look of your property.
Speaker 6: Now I've seen your work firsthand, and when you recolored some alminium joiner in a house to a completely different shade. So if you've got an old orange one but you weren't gray, that can you can do that?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 17: That's right.
Speaker 21: Yeah, No, It's incredible how something is simple as just changing the joinery color I can give you home.
Speaker 4: A completely new look.
Speaker 11: It's almost as.
Speaker 21: If you've had a major renovation, completely updating their parents. So to do this, we remove all the hardware and the latches, the handles, and strip out the ceiling rubbers and the opening sashes. We even take those little furs out of the ranch sliders and fully recolor the joinery. And after we've done even builders can't tell a difference. Plus we offer an upgrade to modern hardware to replace your handles and latches and just give it a bran new look without the hassle or expense of replacing it entirely.
Speaker 6: Now, Nanoclear operate nationwide right across the car.
Speaker 4: How can people get in touch?
Speaker 21: Yeah, just simply visit us at dub dub dub dot, Nanoclear dot co, dot and z. We'll come to your site, provide you a quote, and we'll guide you through the process.
Speaker 11: We have a team of.
Speaker 21: Friendly people ready to help make your aluminum jewelery look new again.
Speaker 6: Nanocrea is a great solution, Thanks very much, Daniel. So if your powder coated surfaces are starting to get tired, or you're looking to replace, looking to make them look like new, or change the color of your aluminium joinery or garage doors, contact Nanoclear. That's Nanoclear dot co dot n z ZB. A couple of texts come in just with regard to decking and that sort of thing as well. Hey Pete about to lay a coaler deck. Do I have to put oil on it? Or do I wait until its silver's off from Nick? I think ideally you let it sort of settle down. And the other thing with quila is it bleeds right, So make sure that wherever you store it is not don't store it on the concreteway because I'll get a text in a week going I've got the stain on the concrete driveway, make sure it's on a on the grass or something like that. Let it bleed out onto there before doing the decking. If the decking is close to a pathway, make sure it doesn't bleed onto that as well. Do the quiler decking. I think kind of it's a bit hard at this time of year. You might even just leave it for the winter and let it sort of weather a little bit. It won't change color too much over the winter. Let it sort of get rid of all of that sap and that sort of thing, and then as soon as the weather comes right, I'd give it a really thorough clean, like with some raisine deckwash. Clean it thoroughly and then apply a coating there. It'll help protect it most definitely. If you've got a comment or a question, the lines are still open right through it at eight eight thirty this morning, when of course we jump into the garden with a red climb pass. So feel free to call right now on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Murray's got a text as well. In a recent storm, a section of our fence came down due to the post snapping off at ground level. They were concreted in to repair them. Would you dig out the old concrete creating huge holes to replace or put a new fence post beside her in the middle of the space between the old posts, Murray, I'll tell you when I finished doing exactly that. I don't think i'll get around to it this week, but hopefully next week I'm going to. Well, they haven't blown over, but it's leaning to such a degree that looks really shonky, So I've got to get in and dig those out. I'm going to dig them out and just put a new post in, because then I don't have to change the panel sizes. I'm thinking I'll be able to cut through the fixings, lift the panels out, take the post out, replace it, and then put the panels back in. So look, if you want to, you can certainly go and put a new post alongside. It might look a little bit odd, but yes, you can do it. Or you just have to dig a hole and inevitably up putting just a little bit more concrete around those holes. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call just on the downpipe. And this is the time of year that we sort of look at storm water and drainage and that sort of thing. My neighbor's down my knee, neighbor's garage roof downpipe directs the water straight onto the ground next to our driveway. The water then runs down our drive and out under the house. I've politely raised this and his obligation to control his stormwater, but he said that there's nothing he can do. Clearly, it's his obligations. What are my options now? It is the neighbour's obligation, right, It's quite clear stormwater needs to be controlled and having it flooding onto the ground is not controlling it. And to be fair, it's a flat out lie when he says nothing he can do. What he can do is extend his existing storm water to collect the downpoort to collect the water from the downpipe coming from the garage. It shouldn't just go onto the ground. You may well have some luck if you go to council and we take a photograph of it or a little video of when it's raining, and counsel might come and visit and go, you know, at an enforcement notice or something like that, or at least inform the homeowner of their obligations to control their own stormwater. My understanding is that again, certainly in Auckland, they've actually had a team out literally walking the streets looking at you know, from the road frontage, looking at stormwater discharge. And if they see down pipes that are not connected or just dispose onto the ground, or stormwater that's not connected at all, that sort of thing, they'll they'll go and approach the homeowner and go, hey, look, are you aware of your obligations? I think that's great to be fair. Radio seventeen after eight Lauren, Hello there, Hi, how are you? Hey, Lauren, I'm very well.
Speaker 20: And you good. Good, Thank you?
Speaker 24: What's up?
Speaker 19: My question?
Speaker 20: My question to you is, I'm Jessica.
Speaker 24: I'm just in the process of buying a property. It's one unit out of a block of cour so it's on a cross leaf title.
Speaker 20: Now, back in nineteen eighty two, there was a shed, well essentially a sewing room that was actually built on the usable land for that unit. Yes, and it was permitted and consented and everything like that back then.
Speaker 13: But it wasn't actually added to the pro.
Speaker 6: The flats plan yep yees.
Speaker 20: So it's come back that when we did the valuation and the infection, that it's come back that now the title is defective.
Speaker 11: Yes, so it's been a few.
Speaker 24: Things that we've had to go through to obviously thort that out. But how hard is it going to be to like, what's the process to have to add that sewing room to the title at a later date?
Speaker 6: Generally it's you have to update to the best one of the flats plant right to show the location of that. The fact that it's got a building consent is probably quite useful because it shows that the building at least is compliant. But it's the updating of the So it's typically done by a surveyor who will come survey the property, add the physical dimensions to the flats plant, and then update the title thereafter. If it cost you twenty thousand dollars, I wouldn't be surprised. Yeah, so, and I've had a couple of discussions with people recently around doing that sort of thing, and that was the figure, And I to be fair, I was a little bit staggered that it would cost that much maybe you can do it for less, but I'm throwing that figure out to go. It's seemingly not inexpensive thing to have done. And I guess you're in a position where, if you're thinking about buying the property, you'd want to make sure that that defective title was updated by the vendor prior to settlement because you don't want the cost of that, okay, unless you take the risk that you want to purchase, and then you'll do it and that the price is reflective on that. But I and to be fair, I used to have that attitude that, you know, take the risk, purchase the property and sort it out. And I think now I've shifted my thinking to go, actually, you know what, if there's a building that doesn't ever CECC or a defective title, make sure that the vendor sorts it out before settlement, right, Why would.
Speaker 4: You take the risk?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Yeah, definitely definitely.
Speaker 24: Like the other option was to it was to potentially take the sewing room down, but it's such a cool room. It's all out like it's a great work from home space because it's basically it looks like a glorified shed that's got a window and everything.
Speaker 6: Look, I can see the benefits of it. Absolutely yeah wow.
Speaker 20: But yeah, twenty grand for that much?
Speaker 6: Well look and I you know, maybe I'm I'm maybe that was for something way more complicated, but certainly as part of your due diligence, you'd want to go out and get some pricing. And typically it is it's a surveyor that does the work.
Speaker 24: Right.
Speaker 6: Okay, Okay, good luck, cool Laura, Then all the best your news talks be it's just gone twenty minutes after eight.
Speaker 1: Helping you get those DIY projects done right. The resident builder with Beata wolfcaf call oh eight eighty youth talk ZB.
Speaker 6: Imagine starting a company from scratch in twenty twenty two and in just over two years you've got a network of twenty eight stores from Kerry Kerry through to in the Cargo. That's what James Whitaker of Resonate Health and his team of doers and expert audiologists have done. Not only have they got this new audiology company up and running in record time, they've also introduced a totally new way of accessing top quality hearing aids. Instead of up to ten thousand dollars for a decent pair of new hearing aids, you can join Resonates Hearing Aid subscription service for just ninety dollars a month and get your own pair of premium quality resound Vivia hearing aids. You'll have all of the help you need from your local Resonate Hearing studio to fit and tune them to your ears and hearing environment. You don't have to pay a cent more for repairs, and they're rechargeable, so no fiddling around with those tiny batteries, and there's no minimum subscription period. This is a great story of one hundred percent New Zealand owned company helping people hear better. To find out more, call Resonate on eight hundred three to seven three six zero News Talks be your news Talk said b will talk building until eight thirty and then we're into the garden with red climb pass. Brian. Hello, Hello there, kay, Brian.
Speaker 23: I was just listening to your program earlier and a lady rang up about a the house that has testus clouding on the outside possibly has yes, it possibly has. Well. I'm in the same sort of situation from the point of view that I bought a rental property just after the earthquakes in christ Church and basically rented it out. It's been rented out for years now. We're in the process of doing it up with and one thing that's been brought to our attention is that the outside clouding is possibly absbestos. Now my question is does that actually I mean, it doesn't affect anybody in the home or anything like that.
Speaker 8: Does that.
Speaker 23: Well, does it have to be replaced or no? Can you just no?
Speaker 6: Simple answer is no to the best of my knowledge. So you know, what we're concerned about is that when when people alter or adjust that, you know, if you drill it or cut it or grind it or send it or something like that, then it's a health risk, right, and a serious one.
Speaker 23: Yes, that's how I sort of understood.
Speaker 6: But if if it's if it's there and it's intact, and you know, you need to be a bit cautious. For example, when you're if you clean it and want to repaint it, then you don't want to be water blasting it. You can wash it to a chemical wash and apply another code of paint over it, those sorts of things, but there's no requirement to replace it.
Speaker 23: No, That's that's what That's where I wondered.
Speaker 6: Like, it's it's low risk, right, Yes, the riskers when you expec when you you break it, cut it, grind it, and you expose the fibers and the fibers become friable or airborne. That's when the risks, and that's what you have to manage.
Speaker 23: Yes, So if we threw a code of paint over it, absolutely fine, it's fine. Yeah, it's really all I need, you know, because we're going to the place of further paint job.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Look, wash it gently, like you know, use a chemical treatment on it, wash it, rinse it off, and then when it's dry, apply your primary, apply top coat and where you go.
Speaker 23: Gotcha all the best, Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Take care see that. And Cheryl, hello there, how you do it very well?
Speaker 13: Thank you. Just to thank you to start off that. I actually then a few months ago, just as regards to my sense, just to put a covering over because someone complained about my dog's bagging. So I did the advocated thing and it looks great.
Speaker 4: So thank you for that pleasure.
Speaker 13: Look, I've got it so where I am a lot of people have been doing there. So we've got all these sheds and things. So I've got a so called shed or a separate shed on the back of my property, so it is separate. I have tanks, so I've got a water you know, so I've got a water tank the thing for my water. I'm looking at converting the shed into something for future you know, possible retment like you know and coming for retard. But because of weird it is as well as the tanks and the water goes, you can actually hear it. So I'm wondering if you can't do it stuff sound putting it will actually stop that because I hadn't actually slipped out out there. And when the water goes, if the toilet blushes from my home, you can actually hear it.
Speaker 6: So so it's probably the Is there a pump attached to the water tank and you can hear the pump?
Speaker 13: Okay, pump? Yeah, what's the distance between the house as well?
Speaker 6: Right, what's the distance?
Speaker 13: Actually the wall is that on the other side. So you've got the suits at the back, the pump's being put there, the sheds right next to where it is basically like a room next what's really.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would probably look at isolating the sound from the pump, right, so you know, building a cover around the pump and maybe using something, you know, with an effective acoustic performance, like a something that's highly insulated or a freezer panel or something. Yeah, soundproof the pump. Don't worry about trying to soundproof the house. Soundproof what's making the noise and that's the pump.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well it's a shed I'm thinking about because if I convert it, you can hear that every time. Yeah, because of the punt and working through to the house as well when the water's juiced in the house.
Speaker 4: Yes, near the punt.
Speaker 13: Yea.
Speaker 6: I will try sound the pump. Yes, I've got to go. But the other thing about, you know, converting the shed is that if if it was built as a shed and it was never designed to be a habitable space, it will need a building consent for the upgrade. Right, So you have to prove compliance with a building code, especially if you're then going to essentially commercialize it and have it as a rental property. It needs to comply with the building code, and so any work that you do would require a building consent. Right he Oh, let's jump into the garden. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. If you've got a question, Ford, He'll be available straight after the break good.
Speaker 1: Met it God was, but it may be called Pete First. Peter wolf Camp, The Resident Builder. News Talk SeeDB. For more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp, listen live to News Talk SETB on Sunday mornings from six, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio