Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks, EDB. Tim Beveridge on the Weekend Collective cool Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty news Talk, said B.
Speaker 2: He had a very good afternoon too. I'm Tim Beverage. Welcome to the Weekend Collective this Saturday of the twenty first June. You can text your feedback. It texts your feedback anytime on nine two nine two, and email Tim B at NEWSTALKSITB dot co dot m Z. Coming up on today's shown just a moment, I'll be in producing our illustrious panelists, but looking a little further forward to when we'll also be taking your calls on I eight hundred eighty ten and eighty for So after four we got the one roof radio show and Debbie Roberts, who's the financial advisor and will be joining us, and we'll touch on that totality report talked about. By the twenty thirties, the property market will be in real terms, a relative terms, down about twenty percent, even if the numbers actually go up. But also the important part of that is whatever the market's doing, what matters to you when you're buying a house is how much you pay for it. So we're going to talk about the art of negotiating. Is negotiating skill relevant? And do some people get better deals than others simply because they're better negotiators? So I'm going to talk to Debbie about how do you get a good deal? I wait, one hundred eighty ten eighty. We're taking your calls on that, and have a bit of a chat about how long the buyer's market will last, which I suspect might be quite a while. And alf to five for the parents squad, Nathan Wallace joins us, we're talking about how to handle our kids' anxieties and meltdowns. When do you need to challenge them and say, hey, that's not good enough, And when do you just need to I don't know, either send them to their room or you take yourself off to your own room, which I actually think there's often something that parents do. I've done it before. It's just like, right, that's it. I'm going to my room, take myself out of the picture. And of course before sex will be rapping sport. We'll be looking forward to the Super Rugby Final, SAMs cow bells perhaps and the Warriors and Penrith will be part way through and we joined again by Superman Christopher Reeve. Welcome to the Weekend Collective. It is eight minutes past.
Speaker 3: Three, debating all the issues and more.
Speaker 1: It's the panel on the Weekend Collective on News Talks, Ed.
Speaker 2: B Yes and illustrious panelist Look will go with We'll go with the most familiar because I often do age before beauty and it does get me tripped up sometimes because they're both.
Speaker 4: They're both beautiful in different ways. And he is he is, he is a broadcaster. He's he's looking rugged and hunky as the resident Bill today, it's Pete wolf Camp. Pete, hang on, I think we need to turn your volume up.
Speaker 2: Can we just get that fader up? There? There we go speak there you are.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, hi Pete, awesome, how are you? I'm all right? All right? Actually, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: You're looking you're looking well, except you've got to you've got something on your oh, yes, on your wrist.
Speaker 3: What have you done damage or something like that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: This post operative?
Speaker 3: Or just no, no, this is just recuperative age. Who knows? Who knows? The wheels are falling off, That's all right.
Speaker 2: When did you actually start noticing when you're on the building side, it's like, oh, I think I might just give that to one of my apprentices.
Speaker 3: I think it's the thing when you pack something up and you go, I didn't weigh that much ten years ago, you know, like a beggar cement, right, you flick one onto the shoulder and swam off down the road. And now it's like, she goes.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'll get there, I'll get there. Yeah, and joining me, joining me and me, Pete, Peter and I joining Peter and me. Actually, grammatically that is as a producer and journalist, regular on she's a bunch of things. She's prison with the New Zealand Screen Producers girls, she's a I think she's still an Arion z in board members. She yes, she is, and a long time journalist and TIVA producer Irene Gardner.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hello, I think you should stop objectifying Peter.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't help this. South look at him because he's magnificent, isn't he you know? To no, no, noah, mister, love love love him. We were discussing before. It's easier for me to objectify objectify a fellow male than it is these days. Too. I could pay your compliments saying you're looking absolutely lovely today, Irene. I think that's fairly.
Speaker 5: Sa I think now I just you just said that now because you had to.
Speaker 2: But you do look love You always look lovely anyway. Actually, by the way, on the weight thing, I saw my daughter on the weight in terms of heavy.
Speaker 4: Dangerous sorry, and that was an awkward segue.
Speaker 2: I saw my daughter off this morning too. She's doing her Duke of Edinburgh overnight camp fantastic and where they go to ring a Toto and they it's probably they cover a fair but a distance. I think they're about twenty six kilometers plus an overnight camp, and well, isn't the Duke of Edinburgh system of you know what do you call it? The awards system? They're fantastic. But she's a slip of a girl and she had her pack and she put a pack in the boot and I said, I'll take that for you, darling. I was, oh, my goodness, and it was probably the way I was holding it, but I thought, what have you gotten here?
Speaker 3: And then there is that discussion it is only an overnight you know, you do realize that they have.
Speaker 2: To take Actually, it turns out. They have to take in their cooking water, and so there's a few key loads of fluids in there. So yes, but I did think.
Speaker 5: Hmm, she could tip over carrying that.
Speaker 2: I was worried I was going to tip over carry That's when Peter was.
Speaker 5: Talking about carrying a bag of cement, and I was thinking, I'm fairly puny. I was thinking, could I even live like you live?
Speaker 2: Well, it depends they come in big, that they come in different.
Speaker 3: Side forty and twenty five kg.
Speaker 5: I think both of those would be out of my range.
Speaker 2: Actually, forty kilo bag as a means an unwieldy object, doesn't it?
Speaker 3: Only today it's a two person lift, is it? Technically?
Speaker 5: I could weel it in a wheel back?
Speaker 2: Can you still do it in one? Pete Wolf can look at it, and he's magnifical.
Speaker 3: We have done for years, two persons lift.
Speaker 2: That's funny. I ordered some I had some flour because I do my own baking, and I thought wikilos and I got a twenty kilo. Okay, But carrying a sack of twenty kilos as opposed to a twenty kilo wait completely different cup of.
Speaker 3: Tea, isn't it it's all the technique.
Speaker 2: It's a technique, isn't it. Well, we could I wonder if there's an excuse for us to do to do something on Oh no, no, no, we're going to cover that in some sort of property hour perhaps not how not how to avoid injuring yourself while you're doing your deal. I want that left forty kilo bags or something. Anyway, Hey, lovely to have you here, guys, love lived you here. Irene was starting to tune out on the building talk. She's like, we're gonna get onto it now. The big stuff.
Speaker 6: I well, I ran in Israel, the tensions that are ramping up, and Donald Trumps well, he's even overalled his own Tossy Gabbard saying that when she said that there were they weren't building a bomb, said she's wrong.
Speaker 2: Bb Netto's been in Trump's here. He's now saying that he's going to give it two weeks to decide whether the US gets involved. That's pretty pretty concerning stuff in that, Peter.
Speaker 3: That might be the smartest thing that he's done is just to go, look, you guys, try and sort this out in the next two weeks. If you don't, then something else will happen. So as a given that he's the man of the deal and all the rest of it, maybe that's actually quite a smart move. The call to surrender, though, surrender to whom, Like, who are they supposed to surrender to?
Speaker 2: Well, that's the problem. It's because I mean Iran, I'm not going to surrender someone sovereignty. The thing is, the problem is I just don't think that he is what he stands for on these things. And he's had Netanyahu and which is why he's probably overruling his own company by positioned Tozzy Gabbard but she's in security intelligence. But yeah, what do you make of it all? Iren?
Speaker 3: Oh, what's horrible?
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, this is people, this is people's lives. It's terrible. And yeah, I mean Nitya, who just seems so so extreme these days really, and you know, the leader in Iran has not exactly got a great record himself and human rights et cetera. And so yeah, you kind of it really feels like a time when we need a US president who is very calm and has a very cool head, and it's very wise.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the thing is as well, is that even when we're talking about who the regimes are and as if we have to choose between good and bad, and it's like, it's just like, you know what, the Iranian regime is horrendous, and especially when it comes to human rights and the women's rights and things. But I think we have to put that to one side. I mean, you look at what Israel has been up to in its foreign policy and Netanyahu. But the thing that stuck out to me, and I'm surprised that he hasn't been overthrown almost as a result of this. But here's an insight into the guy. I don't know if you caught up with this, but he was doing an interview and he was evoking the spirit of London during the blitz, and he pointed to his own family's sacrifice amid the blood, toil, tears and sweat of his nation. And you know what his sacrifice was. It was the second postponement of his son's wedding, with all that people have gone through, the families of the hostages and the families of the bereaved all there and talking about how his wife is a hero for having to deal with this postponement of the wedding. The guy's are complete narcissistic douche, isn't he.
Speaker 5: I mean it's amazing really when you see that, you know, with Iran's reputation and you know, as I say, human rights, you know, I'd never really seen a situation where I could see people sort of siding with Iran. I mean, you know, Nita, who's done a pretty extraordinary job of things, when that's the situation that he's creating. But it's just a mess. I mean, I don't have a great deal of faith in Donald Trump, but I guess, you know, as Peter said it, I mean he's quite a chaotic person and he might just blunder into a solution. I mean, I think we just all have to hope that that's what happens.
Speaker 2: Look, one of the things I do sort of approve of with Trump is he doesn't like wars. When he's he did say no new wars and then to finish, we know he's not going to affect.
Speaker 5: You Ukraine, but he's the anti war president, doesn't he doesn't want to waste money on wars.
Speaker 2: So here's the two weeks, some sort of window where he helps something I work at South eas the two weeks so he can go and check out exactly how much is base or opposed to him being involved in it. But if they want to bust these nuclear these nuclear facilities, then then Israel do need that magic, you know, I don't want to call it magic, but the bunker buster.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The only people who have got the technology for that, I think are the Americans. Yeah, so if you're going to hit that it's way up in the mountains there, then you can need the Americans.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The simple question, guys is are you worried that this is going to get bigger and bigger in a way that's really going to make us feel fearful for the way things are going blow?
Speaker 5: Yes, and whatever happens, New Zealand should stay out of it.
Speaker 2: Pete.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I I don't have a sense for all of the alarmists sort of talk about this is the beginning of World War three. No, I don't actually think that we're ever going to see a world war in the same way that we did in you know, nineteen forty through nineteen forty five. Will this extend No, probably not even that. Will there be a land invasion, No, probably not.
Speaker 2: It's all drones and missiles, isn't it. Yeah. Oh well, well, of course Israelis said that. You know that the pager thing that they the pager thing they pulled off, remember that page? Oh yeah, they said they've got something coming later in the week or something. I've been like, well, it'd be interesting to see what that is. Anyway, Look, let's move away from that because all of it depressing, isn't it, But just onto the local politics side of things. And the reason I put this in it are you worried, both of you about the standards of parliament slipping when it comes to language. So Deborah Russell has apologized for swearing at David Seymour. She said she said the F word or something and he asked her what she said, so she actually said it out loud. And there's been this question about are we worried about the standards of parliament slipping? And should swearing? Does it really matter? And I mean I would say yes, Actually if the one place where you've got to try and keep the standards up, no matter how pure off, has at least stopped the potty mouth stuff, Are you worried about it?
Speaker 5: Irene?
Speaker 4: Not really.
Speaker 5: I love swearing, no, but I'm.
Speaker 2: A terrible swearer. But you're not doing it now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can regulate, but I do love swearing. It's a very rich part of language. And I mean in this case, I mean, this was something that's someone said under their breath and no one would even have known. It was just David Seymour said what did you say? And I mean Seymour was just he's being cheeky. I mean he's very he's got a very provocative style and politics, and so yeah, he provokes people, then they swear, and then he makes it, you know, gets all holier than there about the fact that they swore it, and it's like, oh yeah, okay, hello. So no, I don't care that much personally, but it should be I mean, the rules are there and all of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should we should stick to that role and say no swearing because language is just language in a way. But I just think that imagine if swearing was tolerated in parliament, though it would be a free for all, that wouldn't be fantastic.
Speaker 5: I think we should one day a week where it's allowed.
Speaker 3: Look, I couldn't disagree with water and this is coming from me sitting on you know. It's the sort of language and discourse and analysis and insight that you might have with a bunch of muppets sitting around on a building site. Right, with the gross respect to my colleagues, but every now and then, I suppose for me what I still want from Parliament is that I want to feel that they're better than me.
Speaker 5: I do luck, I know, I know, but that's what I.
Speaker 3: Want, right if I'm going to elect somebody, I want to feel that they are better than me, more able, more insightful, more passionate, brainy or whatever. And so I don't I really despise the fact that when I'm listening to Parliament you hear a story like this. It's the sort of it's pure right, it's the sort of conversation that we might have at the pub or something like that amongst mates, but it's not the language of the highest court in the land where they make really important decisions that impact on our lives. I want them to be better than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Iran, I agree. I'm with you, And I just think it reminds me of that from Cabaret or something whatever happened to class.
Speaker 5: They're the swearing, I mean, this kind of really rich, you know, kind of intelligent language swearing you know, it is the swearing of Shakespeare. I think if we have some intelligent people in Parliament, which I assume we do, you know, some of them might be fantastic swear as it might be fabulous. I mean, you know, David Longie was pretty good on the.
Speaker 2: Words, but I don't think he ever had to swear. That's the thing though, I mean, it's it's just the context of Parliament.
Speaker 3: Oh look, I swear all the time, right, It's it's something I will well, no, actually I don't care in the sense that in the right environment with people that I know and all the rest of it, that to be fair, I don't often swear in but you know, in the setting, right, I still I do want them to be taking it seriously and a casual sort of what the slightly Actually.
Speaker 2: I have never I don't think I've heard you swear, even when you've come in and you know.
Speaker 3: We've only met for a couple of minutes, and it was the ear was blue and here from a.
Speaker 5: Farm to a newspaper newsroom, getting working in television. What hope was there for my language? No?
Speaker 2: Not much, I guess anyway. Oh look, anyway, I just thought it's always worth it. It's interesting that the way people can use language as well, because there's sometimes when I'm doing talk back, somebody actually let rip a bad word, one of the really bad ones. But the way they said it, it was a slip of the tongue and it just it just they just tripped over it. And I almost didn't notice it that I said, oh, I think somebody said a naughty word there, and there wasn't a single murmur raised because no one found the context where if somebody comes on and uses the word bloody, which is pretty harmless, but they use it aggressively, after a while, I'll be like, can you just lay back on the B words? I mean one or two things you vok, just you know, vary it a little bit. Anyway, Look now, just on a bit of positive news. I don't really get too much caught up in this, but GDP is growing at zero point eight, which is slightly larger than the expected zero point seven. I guess it's nice to have a bit of good news.
Speaker 5: But hasn't it gone down since this was going to come down? Yeah, this is this is the first bit of the year. It's kind of it might have been good news then, but I think it's kind of old news now, I must.
Speaker 2: Say, I, for the first time, have started to notice the cost of living. It's been a delayed reaction for me with different things like insurance and health insurance. I'm like, hell, I.
Speaker 5: Think it's still very very hard out there.
Speaker 2: In terms of the average pun to how we're feeling.
Speaker 5: It's really tough. I think, yeah, And there's a lot of sectors, you know, really struggling. So I mean, it'd be nice to think there's some good news, but it.
Speaker 3: Feels like it's patchy. Had a couple of days at field Days last Friday Saturday. Again there was there was some people who were incredibly positive, like from a trading point of view. They'd set up their stands, they had people in the door, they made contacts and maybe they'd made sales or they had really strong, sort of pre qualified leads and were feeling really optimistic. Other people it was a bit ho hum, and for some it was like, actually, we're going to walk it way from here. This having cost us money.
Speaker 2: Really, because I think that they did do an increase quite a reasonable increase in trade, didn't they because of the new rules aband accelerated depreciation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty sort of thing. Yeah, and then suddenly the old text thing came up with a fringe benefit text, but that apparently has already been written off. That was that was actually stuff.
Speaker 2: Those tractors are quite there are some pretty slash looking bit of cat Do you wish you had an excuse to buy one?
Speaker 3: I tell you what. And here's the towny and me revealing myself. So I'm chatting to a guy there and he goes, look the way we look at tractors is it's one thousand dollars a horse power. And I'm like, I didn't know that. What an insightful What it's one thousand dollars per horse power? So you're looking at a tractor, it's two hundred and twenty horsepower. It's a it's going to roughly cost you turn in twenty grand.
Speaker 2: I don't really the reference point.
Speaker 3: And the townes this is news to us.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I've been I got something popped up and this is completely unrelated, but I've got to mention it because it popped up in my YouTube feed. These guys who go around rescuing rusted old bulldozers that have been left and one that have been had trees growing up in the middle.
Speaker 3: There'll be diesel days.
Speaker 2: That's a day, I'll tell you what you watch. You start to watch it and you cannot stop watching as he gradually gets this thing going and then drives it away its offsider. I can't remember I've only seen one, so it two of them. You'll be hocked. Okay, there you go, people quickly reaching for diesel days. Anyway, that is quite addictive viewing twenty six past three will be back in a teach Newstalks. It'd be welcome back to the weekend collective Onton Beverage. My panelist today a Pete wolf Camp and Irene Gardener. Now, Irena, you're going to miss filling out your senses now that it's been that the plug's being pulled on.
Speaker 5: That we always just make a joke about that. John in for song, you fill out my sensus anyway, Moving right along, No, I probably won't miss it. And I guess it's kind of inevitable that maybe is time because it just seemed to be having a lot of problems. It didn't seem to work to move it into the online world, but it seemed archaic to not be in the online world.
Speaker 2: And people not filling it out.
Speaker 5: Yes, so maybe we can. I mean, it looks like we're going to try and get the data of a variety of other ways. If that can work, then great. If it doesn't work and we do feel like we are, you know, not having the data we need, then I guess we might have to look at it again. But I can kind of see why this might be the case.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I just think that. Initially my reaction was like, oh, that's a big call, and then I heard the explainer how they can basically get data from data data. That's the biggest controversy. How do you say that word? From a bunch of agencies, they can work out what we're earning because they can see the inland revenue and there's and there's so much data to be gained simply within the fact that we are becoming more and more data centric. Data is king, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It feels like it's that kind of a movement from a paper age to a digital age. So in that sense, shouldn't be surprised. I guess to your point, Irean, the concern would be, will there be a gap in the information? And I know some people who I'm not sure if they use census data, but they're involved in sort of trying to predict population growth and where there might be needs for schools and those sorts of things in the future. If they felt that they were not getting the information they needed in order to be able to forecast for growth, then that would be a shame. So if there ends up being a gap, that's bad. The census was also phenomenally expensive.
Speaker 2: Like forty getting ridiculous.
Speaker 3: A year, and then they wanted seventy million for the next one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The thing that made me relax about it was that the acting government statistician and chief executive of Stats in New Zealand, I think her name's Mary Craig, and I think I saw a I'm not going to attribute the quote to her, but I saw her saying basically, she thought it was great news. And so if the statisticians are happy, then then I'm happy. I can't remember the last time I filled out I must have done the last one, but I would have done it on, would have done it online? Would I?
Speaker 5: Well, hopefully yes, I follow through with all this stuff that.
Speaker 3: You got the letter and you got the code and then you get into the code and then you could do it online.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't remember, but it would have been back in I don't know when it was. Was it in COVID times? I can't remember our staff to anyway, Now, melatonin sleep medication is still going to be available over the counter. Look, you can get it overseas. I'd been into a few homy alpathy shops where people say, oh, we've got melotonin here. I was like, does that mean you've diluted it one in one hundred and thirty times.
Speaker 3: And chose me twice a much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And she's like, yeah, that's the one. I was like, yeah, you mean yeah. Anyway, I from hosting the Health hud where a guy called Alex Bartley is a slip stuff. Yeah, I didn't hear that predicted that. He probably said, don't get carried away with it because you shouldn't be relying on you know, I'm guessing.
Speaker 3: I listened to the interview. Actually, I was doing some work at home, and what was this point that basically by using it you get about six minutes more sleep, and he's going, well, I can give you that with some decent sleep therapy, so he doesn't prescribe it. Was what I picked up from the interview.
Speaker 2: Would you. I mean, I think I'd be tempted if I got it to maybe use it after a couple of overnights the night after, so maybe to see if I felt a little bit out of whack. But how's your sleep, Irene.
Speaker 5: I'm a terrible sleeper, actually, and I've tried malatone and it didn't make any difference whatsoever to me. I need something slightly stronger to knock.
Speaker 2: Me out the scotch.
Speaker 5: But I have no issue, you know, with it being available if it helps some people. You know.
Speaker 2: The thing that the fascinating thing about what I've learned through through Alex is basically the most important thing you can do is during the day, get outside and get the get the blue light, get daylight, absorb it. Through that that creates serotonin, which later on in the lights go down, converts to melotone, and that's what helps you get sleepy. So there you go. If you do have trouble sleeping and you hang around all doors and doors all day, there might be part of your problem. But look, you know, if it helps a few people, that's all good as far as I'm concerned. Hey, look, this next one is I mentioned it because so Captain Cook's ship, the HMN HMS Endeavor. It's been a rumor about where it has been resting, and it's finally been confirmed that they've found it off the off Rhode Island, the wreck of it, which is actually quite.
Speaker 3: A fantastic story. It's an incredible story.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing. It was covered by Fox News, The Independent, gb News, MSN, Telegraph, CBS, Daily Mail. I'm running at New York Post News dot com, dot Au, the Times, et cetera, et cetera, and a website called wood Central, which I just love.
Speaker 3: When you finished with the diesels, you can get onto the wood.
Speaker 2: No major news outlets covered in here, which I do think are we so racked with sort of stigmer and guilt that we can't even mention we found Captain Cook's ship.
Speaker 5: It didn't get some media coverage yere because I knew about it so much.
Speaker 2: That was when it was rumored a few months ago in February. There was a bit of coverage about we think we found about.
Speaker 5: There was also some There was some now, just not a lot, not as much as you might have expected. And I don't know why that was. I mean, maybe it is that we don't feel very comfortable with it.
Speaker 2: I think that's exactly what it is. I think that everyone starts hand ringing and it's like, oh, there was a story of a walker that the remnants of a walker that was found on chattam Mantes, which is fascinating, and everyone covered it and it's like, well, here's Captain Cox's ship. We finally know where it is. I would have just surprised me that I had to find out from the Telegraph about it because I subscribed to them as like, what do you mean we found the endeavor? Oh, I'll go to our websites. No, no, you know.
Speaker 3: Any talk and what they're gonna do with it? Well, let's stay there.
Speaker 2: Ah, I guess So what do you do with a what do you do with a shipwreck? I mean, actually, what do they do with that waka when they found it? Because it was just a few shards of woard, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: You know that's been taken away from conservations still on the island as best I understand it, but I don't know. I mean, you know it there's those stories overseas. Oh, you know King Henry's ship that was lifted up the one that the vasa that fell over in the harbor outside Stockholm. Those sorts of things, they've been returned to dry Land. There's a fascinating museum Maritime Museum and Perth that's got remains of early Dutch sailing ships that sunk there as well.
Speaker 2: Because I actually find that era of the old sailing ships I think quite fascinating. Just the fact that you know, and the circumnavigation of the world and these old craft navigating news and just you know, sextants and watching the stars and all that, it still blows me away. Whereas these days if you're you know, you've got your GPS and you know exactly we are within a square meter, it's quite the changes have to get lost. Anyway, there as always a great story just that we'd mentioned that folks, So if you if you're curious about it, you can go and check some media overseas to find out about that story. I eight hundred. Well, no, what am I saying eight hundred? It sounds like a talkback show. Sorry, that was just a reflex. We'll be back in just a moment. My panelists Pete wolf Camp and Irene Gardner's News Talks he'd be. It is twenty three minutes to four. Yes, welcome back to the Weekend Collective. Untim Beverage and my guests on the panel today are Pete wolf Camp, the resident Builder, and broad and brought us. She's a producer, journalist and actually I mentioned this President of the New Zealand Screen Producers Guild because Irene Gardner, I can. I've got a confession as part of this topic. So when I heard that the there was announcement that the new Lord of the Rings movie would be shot in New Zealand, set to release in twenty twenty seven, I did think, oh God, I'm so Overlord of the Rings. But it's good news for the film industry, isn't it. Ops, Let's just turn it. Let's just turn your microphone on there.
Speaker 5: It's really good news for the screen industry. But probably more than that, it's really good news for the New Zealand economy because it will bring a lot of money into New Zealand. It's early days. I don't think this story was really meant to come out. I think Andy Serkis, who plays golum and is going to direct this film. I think he just talked about it in overseas interviewing it and start as well, yeah, well yes he's going to be Golam again, because this is about Golum, because this is the Lord of Rings moving into obviously that phase where they're just doing sort of you know, one off, you know, themes and connections and yeah, sir Peter's producing this, not directing it. But yeah, it will bring a huge budget into New Zealand and it will provide work for screen industry people. And more importantly, I think because we re we sort of got the Lord of the Rings Hobbit connection back briefly with the Amazon TV series and then unfortunately it unexpectedly left here after one series. So this brings New Zealand back to the Hobbit Lord of the Rings connection, which, while I know some people get very tired of this, it is really good for our international tourism. With a lot of people, it's the New Zealand is most known.
Speaker 2: I tell you what. Somebody a friend of mine went to see Hobbit and Madamatter and was I mean the people who owned that farmland, I mean that was just just cutching. But the number of visitors that have it, it's huge. Here's a hot take. You know how we get different people playing different roles in movies and somebody reinterprets a.
Speaker 5: Role, so it had many Batman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Batman, Superman, all those sorts of things. James Bond, I'll be honest with you, I've seen enough of Andy Serkis's Golum. I would have loved to have seen a recasting of the role and see someone do it differently, because it's just going to feel like groundhog Dacks. They got precious and just I don't know. I just great that he's directing it, but I just I would be more tempted to see it if there was some new actor with a new, sinister interpretation of that.
Speaker 3: Guy who played Golm in the musical.
Speaker 2: Did you see that the Lord of the Mount was he?
Speaker 5: Was he from here or from the world?
Speaker 3: I'm not I think from somewhere out in the world.
Speaker 2: Wow, from out in the world.
Speaker 3: Just extraordinary, unbelieved.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm sorry, I think I think Andy as the director is probably to cast himself. I mean, I don't think we recasting the film.
Speaker 2: This is not going to make its way back to But I don't know. I just you're off the Christmas card, Yes, actually just but tell us how big a deal is this, and you make that you make the right point. Of course, we lost the mini series which went by the series that went elsewhere, But you know this and people do have a discomfort with film companies sort of being beneficiaries with this rebate receiving money. But net it's yeah, it's a.
Speaker 5: Really tricky one for us. I often find myself sort of, you know, having to explain this because it sounds like, well, why are we just taking tax payer money and giving it to you know, Hollywood lovees. But it's really not that. It's a percentage rebate back and basically all the stats show that for every dollar that we put in in the rebate percentage money, we get about six or seven dollars back into the economy. So because it's you know, it's twenty percent of the budget, so it's it is really really good for the New Zealand economy as well as the screen industry. But the point I do always balance that with is because you know, a lot of our members are producers of domestic content, and domestic content is really struggling at the moment because the streamers have just so utterly killed TV advertising revenue, and so it is really important in New Zealand that you try to keep the domestic and the international parts of the sector strong enough because they sort of need and feed each other. And so our issue at the moment International is reasonably strong at the moment. It could be stronger, It could always be stronger, but domestics really challenged at the moment. So it's a balance.
Speaker 2: Well, and we'd be relieved to have this announcement because there is the uncertainty of it around whether Trump is going to punish Hollywood for filming its films elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that seems to have sort of just fade out, dissipated. He does it occasionally, doesn't he w. He just says some sort of weird think on social media, and then he realizes it's completely impractical, and it just sort of quietly fades away. And I mean, you know, I don't want to jinx it, but I think it might have just quietly faded away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I guess it might. Ambivalence to it doesn't really matter at all, because the Lord of the rings industry and the interest in those in that trilogy and the Hobbit is it's colossal globally. It's a bit like in the I mean, this is a poor it's a poor comparison, but it's like in the opera world, you couldn't pay me to see Wagner, but Wagner is going to be going forever. And maybe there's Lord of the Rings the film version of that. It's just on a slightly bigger scale, of course.
Speaker 5: I mean, people do get quite cheeky about you know, the whole we know we're not hobbits in New Zealand is not you know, but I've just noticed when I'm traveling that it is for a lot of internationals. It's what they know in New Zealand for so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh well, good news, good news even actually yeah, I know, I'll move on, We'll move on the topic. Wise, he I was almost unsure about where that to cover this, but the news today are brand tomickis and the news again protesting against foreign religions in New Zealand. He's letter leading as a letter march down Queen Street, proclaiming the spread of non Christian religions is now out of control. I don't know what what is this. I don't know what his point is. Given the tragedy we've seen unfolding splentary What what the hell? Brian? What's it all about?
Speaker 5: Is he he's just trying to get attention and unfortunately we're not giving it to him.
Speaker 2: Well ye, not with any sense of approval, of.
Speaker 5: Course, but you know, he's just.
Speaker 3: He's got to be a little bit worried about the numbers though, because to be fair, you know, go back a couple of years and a rally like that with his faithful tagging along would have got bigger numbers than that five hundred. That's not a lot of people. I'm actually looking at that going actually, you know what, I don't have the support that I thought that I had, and thankfully so do.
Speaker 5: You think that's true? Do you think his sport is going down significantly? Got more extreme, hasn't he over the last few years? And so yeah, probably people are to know.
Speaker 2: I wonder what Jesus would make of Brian Tomacky soon.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't call him the bishop.
Speaker 2: No, and he but I imagine he wouldn't swear either, And we don't have to leave that up to Irene.
Speaker 5: I'm a sweet word, isn't it anyway?
Speaker 2: Oh well, there we go. Look we'll be back in just a moment. This is the Weekend Collective. My panelists Iron Gardner and Pete wolf Camp. It is coming up to twelve minutes to four news talks. He'd be yes, Welcome back to the Weekend Collective. My panelists are Iron Gardner and Pete wolf Camp. Now we've got the big cruise that is Chiefs Final. We're going to preview that with our with Christopher Red before the end of the show. Guys, but the cow bells being banned. Look, this has been flogged to death this issue. Just want your quick take. Were they right to ban the cow bells? Would you take a cow bell? If you were a Chief supporter? Do you love them, hate them, loathe them? Who's going to win? Pete?
Speaker 3: Look, I just think good. You know, if you're a wake out a supporter and you want to go to the game with a cow bell, knock yourself out. If you're the person that's running the Canterbury Stadium, you want to give every advantage to your team, so of course you'd ban them. Good Old Party thought.
Speaker 5: About it like that. I thought it was genuine that they thank you and could knock someone out.
Speaker 3: It's not a helpful, but.
Speaker 5: I believe people are going to just do the cow bell ring on their phone.
Speaker 2: Felt it to be honest, because a real cowbell makes quite a noise. I loathe them. Even when I was cheering for the Chiefs back in the days when I lived and they have plenty. I even if someone I was like, I shut that bloody thing up. I think, if you want to cheer for your team, gee, how do we cheer for our team? You open your you open your mouth, you get your lungs full, and you make a noise, hutting mulu whatever the fact that you have to bring our cowbell along.
Speaker 5: I just, oh god, Rolling Stone song has got that really great cow bell intro is Hony Tong.
Speaker 2: Oh no, actually no, we're thinking of that sketch with Christopher Walken on Saturday Night Live where it's like more cow bell. If you want to have a laugh, people, please do go, Please do go and look at look at the look for the sketch more Cowbell with Christopher Walken. Because they're doing this it's very funny and Jimmy Fallon in the background is struggling to keep a straight face. Very funny. Lucky last the just well, by the way, who's going to win who's going to win?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to say.
Speaker 5: I'll say the opposite, so that we've.
Speaker 3: A balanced pannel to two dogs.
Speaker 2: In the We'll save that one to all Christopher Reeves when they accorded a single of interest. Now the other big just quickly, the other big sports story is was it a big? It was a bit of a surprise to hear that Pete Berling. Now he's not with Tea New Zealand. We knew that, and I guess we would assume that people would be seeking his services. And obviously Lunarosa have have come up with the possibly the best of the big, the biggest, number seven figures. I don't think he's going to be able to sail, but he's going, yeah, what do you Reckonpete?
Speaker 3: Look, he's on the open market, isn't he? And with that reputation, why wouldn't you go and trade your wares to the highest bidder?
Speaker 2: Fair enough your passionate? Were you into the America's Cup at all?
Speaker 5: I think it's real shame to lose him, and it's interesting because maybe it's just the different way it's happened. But remember how roasted Russell kotzk for you know, like he was a trader and he was and it doesn't seem to be happening with this.
Speaker 2: Look no, I think, of course we have all I think we've grown. Yeah, no, actually I think we have. We have matured in our attitude to think. And it is a professional sport. He's entitled to go where the money is. I'm sure Team New Zealand, you know, you know, well be they would have expected this as well, and they'll be doing their best to make sure that they can win the Cup back. And it's going to be interesting though, because if it ends up being a lunar ross, I don't know, it's just going to make It's going to add a bit more fresson to it, isn't it. So yeah, how it's going to play out. But hopefully he's not so useful that they beat us, because I don't think I really want to see Luna Russell win anyway. Anyway, Hey, look guys, thank you so much, Irene. Lovely to see you've got any other plans for the Mataiki weekend.
Speaker 5: Not really. I went to Live Rust last night. That was great. They show the Neil Young Oh yeah yeah, yeah, so that was great, But no quiet weekend now, Lovely.
Speaker 3: And Pete, Oh, I'll do that a bit of a workout this afternoon. No, I'll come back and do some work in the morning. I had nice Mutteriki dinner actually at the school the other day. We had a Mutteriki festival school for dinner. That's great.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks thanks for coming in guys, Lovely to see you. That wraps the panel. If you've missed any of it, you can go and check it out wherever podcast go to News Talk, sedb all to your iHeart radio and look for the week and collective. We get each hour loaded up pretty quickly after after each hour. But up next we are going to be joined by Debbie Roberts and we're going to talk about the art of negotiating as well as having a bit of a chat about where the real estate market's at. Because core Logic now known as Totality, a bit of a name change there. They have protected by twenty thirty the real value of the real estate market's going to be about down about twenty percent if I read that right, So we'll dig into that as well. Debbie Roberts is next. It's three and a half minutes two four News Talks d B s.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend collective, listen live to News Talk said B weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.