Speaker 1: Kiyota. I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. As votes continue to be counted in the US, President elector Donald Trump has swept all seven battleground states, confirming his dominant performance in the country's election. While many were shocked that the US would return to Trump after four years, many voters have made it clear their feelings about high inflation and the cost of living under the Biden administration swayed them towards the Republicans. It's a similar sentiment that helped National Act and New Zealand first descend to power in our election last year. But in a global economic environment, how much sway does one political leader have over how much you're paying for grocery and petrol? Today on the Front Page, we discussed this with NSID Herald Business editor at Large, Liam Dan. Liam, are you surprised at all that economic concerns were enough for swing voters to back Trump in their millions?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess I wasn't surprised. I picked it in a column in advance, which is I wasn't rocket science. But the reason I was reasonably comfortable with the prediction was because I was following financial markets and betting markets so closely, and the financial markets really thought that Trump was going to win. The economy in the US sort of looks good on paper. Inflation is officially back in its box, but if you think about it, it's still kind of peak inflation because we're still waiting for wages to catch up. All the inflation is cumulative, even though it's now only rising at two percent. Over the last few years, people have just felt like their worse off. So I think that's one of the reasons why the Democrats got punished.
Speaker 1: What has been the state of the u US economy in the last year. Have they seen much improvement there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they were one of the They haven't had a recession, so it's called a soft landing. Given what we're all going through, and we've been through in New Zealand, all the stimulus for COVID created the inflation. Then you've got to take the inflation out by constricting the money supply, and that in New Zealand's case, has been such an extreme whip saw sort of thing that we've gone into recession two or three times and we've been in this per capita recession some time, so it hasn't been a soft landing here. It's been rough getting inflation down. The US managed to do it much better, so, you know, I guess there's plenty of commentators and economists thinking, well, Biden's done a good job here, and the US Federal Reserve done a good job here. They've managed to get inflation back down to normal levels without a recession. It's quite rare to get that kind of so called soft landing. You could make the case that the US economy wasn't a good spot or isn't a great spot. Their stock markets have actually been good right through the Biden era, you know, so it was all good on paper. But I think I think that was one of the issues was that Americans, and actually you see it around the world, people were sick of being told that the economy was good because it was good on paper. They didn't feel like it was good, so it wasn't good. And that's you know that the media, the commentators, the economists, and the politicians telling them that. There certainly a sort of a backlash against that.
Speaker 3: So the total back in March of twenty twenty for this basket of goods yes, I'm an economist. Basket of goods was one hundred and seventeen dollars and one cent, and today the same basket of goods would cost you one hundred and fifty one dollars and ninety nine cents. That's an increase of a whopping twenty nine point eight nine percent. That's a solid chunk of change.
Speaker 1: Well, the US has the same issues as US, particularly with food and energy being more expensive. How much influence does the person sitting in the White House or at ten Downing Street or on the ninth floor of the beehive actually have over those specific costs.
Speaker 2: The cycle economic cycle has been very similar all over the western world, so you can understand why some people would say, Look, you're getting obsessed with blaming individual politicians. It seems to be whoever was in power through the worst of that spike has been thrown out, and you know, voters have punished the incumbents generally. There are some areas of control you could have applied fiscal restraint during that period would have limited the amount of inflation. So there's all those big tradeoffs, and I don't want to get back into that big argument again about how much we should have done through COVID. There are arguments about the trade offf the health tradeoff and how much we close down the borders and how long we're in lockdown all that sort of stuff because that cost money. And then actually, you know, in this country there's been arguments about how tightly the money was held or used and where money's gone from the COVID budget to other things, and so yeah, I mean, I think there's definitely you can make arguments for and against various politicians and political regimes doing better than others. But I think the general trend over the last five years since COVID, you can see, really didn't matter whether you had the Tories and power in the UK or labor and power in New Zealand. Those broad trends were pretty universal.
Speaker 1: So it's pretty rare that someone say on the campaign trial promises to fix the economy being able to actually fix the economy when push comes to shove.
Speaker 2: Well, it's about fixing the economy overnight. In the end, really fixing the economy means getting the settings right for people to sort of create wealth, and that might go all the way back to having to deal with a better education system, and it you know, a lot of people argue it does or some really fundamental settings dealing with that. The flip side would be dealing with social inequality because that's slowing our economy because people aren't productive. But regardless of which political way you look at it, there are some really fundamental things you need to do. There are some short term things I guess governments can do. Depending on their political stripes, you can effectively what the governments can do, and what central banks also do is just pump more money into the economy or take more money out. Any government can pump money into the economy, central banks can pump money into the economy. But as we've seen, you know that if you just pump money in without it being underpinned by real wealth creation and basically productivity, which by which we mean you know, people making more stuff or doing more stuff to earn money for the country from elsewhere in the world, then you're just creating inflation. So that's one of the things that government's come up against, is just the ability to really create long term wealth and to create long term benefits for the economy. And that's unfortunately the political system's got this short cycle, so it's easy for politicians to think short terms, so hopefully they will tend to think a bit longer term things like infrastructure as well. You know, you just can't turn on and turn off infrastructure. You've got to get the planning going over a number of years. And that's another big key to our economic success.
Speaker 1: Well, the coalition government here has taken credit for positive economic news throughout this year. But how much of that is actually because of this government versus the previous government and versus I guess global economic movements.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting one. And some of it, you know, it's the central banks, you know. So inflation has come right again. I mean, you know, when you look at the economy and how much stress people are under, I don't know quite what they'd be taking credit for. Yet again, it's that thing that the inflation is beaten on paper. I don't think the public necessarily feels that good about it. And now, of course you've got because of the higher interest rates, you've got companies' earnings down and we're in this recession. So you know, you've got to be cautious what you take credit for at this point. I think the government's taking credit for the direction shifting. It was going to shift anyway, there's no question about that. Question is how quickly and how efficiently, And I guess National would argue that the Coalition would argue that it's been quicker and more efficient under their regime, and that if labor had come in, maybe the spending would have kept going and we'd have had inflation for longer and so on. But a couple of things there. One is that in actual fact, the last proposed budget under Grant Robertson was also taking a lot of money out of the economy. They were tightening up as well. Whether you believe that they would have would have done that or not, that's political. So I guess that would have happened. But if even if labor was looser and inflation lasted longer, you might have seen the economy roll on a bit stronger. So it's more of a shorter sharp shock when you have both the central bank pushing up interest rates and a government cutting spending. And look, I think they probably have got it going in the right direction efficiently, you know, in good time. But how much of the general direction they can take credit for, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: When it comes to the US, Trump's big on cutting regulation and giving people tax cuts. Is that going to help with the costs on the average American household?
Speaker 2: The tax cuts and the deregulation. They would boost corporate earnings because he's talking about tax cuts for the corporations first and foremost, so that the view would be that they would then be hiring more, can pay more. The economies booming because America's business is booming. There was talk of some other tax cuts or tax credits for return service people, first responder's, all sorts of stuff. There was a lot promised on the campaign trail, so that could pump the economy. Their question is can they actually afford it, because they already have a giant deficit in their government spending. They don't take enough revenue for all the government spending, so they have to borrow. And the US government borrows his borrow trillions, and that means that, you know, they have to be sensitive to what happens to interest rates and their ability to borrow further. And some people have suggested that if Trump was to do all the tax cuts, then it really would blow out the national debt quite bad and push interest rates up very high.
Speaker 1: What happens then, if the US was to borrow even more than it does.
Speaker 3: So now, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I should say Trump says that his tariffs are going to pay for all this, right, None of the economists believe that that's possible. But you know, it may come down to how big the tariffs are and how big the tax cuts are in the end. But if he did the most extreme outer edge stuff, then it kind of doesn't add up in an orthodox economic way. It becomes a very big experiment. It's an experiment because America has never done this before. We've seen other countries around the world try to do this where governments, you know, like a socialist government comes in in Venezuela, or we've seen it in Greece after the GFC, where they've tried to implement policies that the world's financial markets, the ratings agencies, and the bond markets have just gone, oh no, that looks terrible. And you know, they just trade the price of borrowing up for these nations until they can't borrow anymore, so that they basically see you as a high risk and then they say yield, but your interest rates on those bonds goes through the roof. Sometimes some countries it's like I think in Greece, it went up by thirty percent overnight and they just could not borrow anymore. So they were sunk because they couldn't get any more money, so they had to go to Europe for bailouts, and it made a special case. So you know, most countries in the world come up against bond markets, which is really just the world's debt market. I loved the idea that it's the most powerful thing in the world, like literally the most powerful thing. There's armies, But even armies need money to run, right, And so without the support of bond markets, you know, you can't borrow. And the whole world runs on debt, Like the whole world's economy is debt fueled. And if you come up against these bond markets and they say no and you can't get money, you're really sunk, very very quickly. So there's a famous line from Bill Clinton's strategist James Carvill, this guy who once came up with it's the economy stupid. But he also once said that if reincarnations real, I used to want to come back as a president or a pope, but now I want to come back as the bond markets because they intimidate every one, and it was a reminder that no one's bigger than those bond markets in the world. Now, the US might be a special case. It's hard to know how far they can go. Because the US is so big and so powerful, and its currency is the world's reserve currency. It will be interesting to see how far Donald Trump can push it.
Speaker 1: Well. Stocks on Wall Street closed on record highs the day after Trump's victory, largely due to confidence in how his policies will benefit them.
Speaker 4: This is what happens when there's a lot of uncertainty. People breeze for the worst and then they breathe a sigh of relief. I mean, the S and P's up about two point three percent today, which would be the strongest post election reaction post election d reaction we've seen since my data started in nineteen fifty. You know, people are definitely reacting, maybe celebrating, maybe breacing for more.
Speaker 1: That's obviously a vote of confidence for Trump, but he can't really control if the markets react positively or negatively, right, and then how the public read that? Can he?
Speaker 2: No, that's right. So the big, big short term bump for Trump the Trump bump. So there's a few things there. One was that it was a certain election. There was no going to court and worrying and having no leadership in the US, So that was removed so that that the market's very happy to have that certainty. They were happy that they didn't get Kamala Harris's tax hikes, so that was removed. And then in the short term they see a lot of benefit from Trump coming in. Tech stocks are really happy about this deregulation stuff. There'll be deregulation around oil, around banking, so it'd be easier for them to do business that reduces costs, and then if they get a tax cut as well, they're basically going to be more profitable. So that's the short term thing. There are risks there there. I mean, you know, but markets at this level aren't aren't trading that risk yet. The risks are that in the longer term, because we've seen bond yields rise all the way through. They picked Trump coming in, so bond yields rose in the weeks and I should just say interest rates basically rose in the weeks ahead of Trump coming in, and then they've continued to rise. And normally when interest rates are rising on financial markets equities are going down, so that it's a weird thing both going up at once and you know, longer term, I guess the markets could turn against Trump, and that to me when you look at how powerful he is right now, Like he's got the Senate and he's got such control of that Republican Party, and he's probably going to get the rest of the House of Congress, and so then he'd have the three branches. He's kind of got the Supreme Court stacked as well, so that's really the four branches of US power. So he's got complete political control and that that really just leaves that financial market, bond markets, equity markets, basically Wall Street as the curb on his power.
Speaker 1: We saw the opposite of that support in twenty twenty two in the UK, wh Trust's short lived government announced forty five billion pounds in tax cuts without properly funding them. The markets reacted negatively and the country went into crisis mode and Trust was gone as we know shortly after. So do they have the real power here? Is that getting a bit too much into tenfoil hat territory?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I think they do. It's kind of weird, like for people you know about ten foil hats. People talk about the deep state. What is the deep state? What is the establishment? What's the most powerful end of it? And that's why I keep coming back to financial markets. There is this kind of non political structure around global debt markets and you know, and equity markets that is kind of like a deep state. And yeah, like this Trust wasn't in a powerful position to start with. The Tories weren't in a powerful position. The UK was economically shaky after Brexit, so she didn't have a lot of power to push that through and it sure sunk her. Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, we've seen it happen, and lots of other countries around the world, smaller countries, New Zealand would to do anything unorthodox again in the face of financial markets, given how much debt we.
Speaker 5: Have quote the current trajectory of debt is concerning. New Zealand are currently running physical deficit about two point four percent of GDP. It's structural, meaning it is not solely the result of the current economic downturn. The Treasury estimates that we would be in deficit even if the country was a normal economic times rather than recession.
Speaker 4: You're talking about two point four percent of GEPP.
Speaker 2: That's tiny in comparison to our external debt, which is currently I think running at forty to fifty percent. The US, as I say, could be different or is more powerful. I would say though, that Trump has kind of staked his reputation on being the Wall Street guy, the big market guy who knows how Wall Street works and has got them on side. So he couldn't really afford to get too far offside with them. And there are a lot of powerful backers around him, as financial backers, Elon Musk and those people that obviously don't want the whole thing tanking. They don't want to see the US economy tank. You know, as much as we might want to call him autocratic or authoritarian, he's not likely to completely go off script. I mean, it's not really something that he could get away without. I imagine some quite powerful forces around him, even in his close circle, sort of pulling him back. And so I think, you know, he'll have to deliver some form of tax cut, some form of deregulation. He'll have to deliver some tariffs. Whether they are at the extremes of what he promised over the campaign probably doesn't matter. People probably forget the details of exactly what he said. They seem to have short memories about most most things, he says.
Speaker 1: I recall when he was president last time, all he would have to do is tweet something and it would change the markets, right, And he does have a tendency to say something quite crass or be quite reactive to things. And also his relationships with other world leaders such as Kem jong un and Aldamir Putin to name just a couple. Could those things be his downfall when he's trying to correct the US economy, those little things that perhaps could reverse or slow down his ambition to do so.
Speaker 2: I suppose the geopolitical thing is a big, big issue obviously, just for the you know, the state of lay in Ukraine and Middle East and all that sort of stuff, and the relationship with China. But as to the little things, I wonder if we've become a bit immune to his unpredictability, Like it's so predictable that he's going to say these random things. And I think that's probably was evident through the campaign and the result in the election is that people just aren't taking it literally, so they've all we've brought into this idea that you don't worry too much about what he sees. You just look at what he does, even though that unfortunately doesn't give us any any foresight into what might be coming. But already, you know, things like the cryptocurrency and bitcoin are through the roof, So that's stuff that reactive stuff's already just totally excited by his return. You know, it could be if the markets were jumping and he was to tweet something that suggested he was going to do some sort of terriff or something like that that would really hurt interest rates. Well, that could happen, and it'll be I mean, it just will be around those announcements. They'll have to, you know, they have to think that through very carefully. He's going to be expected to do some stuff he's promised, but he can't do too much. It'll or blow back on him. It'll be interesting to see how far as advisors let him go.
Speaker 1: If a political leader really wants to make things cheaper for the people who voted for them and let them keep more of the money that they make, what is the best way of actually doing that? Is there a key stat that they should be focused on improving?
Speaker 2: Well, the only way to really make things cheaper is to genuinely make people wealthier. You know, you've got to have more more money. It's not more money, that's the wrong term. It's more wealth. You know, if you legislated a minimum wage up to thirty dollars in or something like that, it doesn't translate to everybody suddenly having more money because of the inflation. It creates the system sort of got prices and wages intertwined, right.
Speaker 1: So the system will know that you're getting paid more. Thus cheese goes.
Speaker 2: Up because there's a certain amount of money in the economy, and you know, there's the financial institutions, the central banks, the ratings agencies, everybody's keeping track of that. So it's it's really I mean, it sounds boring because they go on about this a lot, but it does come back to productivity and actually generating more wealth per person, more productivity per person ideally without working harder, working smarter, So getting the whole nation working smarter, producing more and doing more without having to work too hard, and generating more wealth in people bag labor. But Grant Robertson got it too. I mean, I haven't met many politicians that didn't talk big about productivity. I just think that they bump up against you know, there are some arguments that's some big structural things need to be done to get to improve productivity in this country, and they tend to bump up against the day to day politics, and it sort of means that they're reluctant to do big, bold things, you know. And we don't have an upper House in New Zealand, we don't have an executive branch, so you know, we've got a governor general. But in theory, the US has got two tiers of government of Parliament or whatever your congress you'd call it, and an executive branch and a judicial branch. So it's it's meant to keep power and check. But it's a balance, you know, you say, vulnerable to extreme power on the other side. I worry you. You can go the other way. You can just be gridlocked or on a stalemate around actually making big change, and then we're.
Speaker 1: Just stagnant waiting for a highways be built over forty years.
Speaker 2: So you see these reactions from the public, like, after a while of feeling like we're stagnating whatever, they might throw power to someone and say, look, just get on with it and throw a bit more absolute power. You hope that they don't, you know, you hope they choose someone who's of good moral care character for that, so that we don't end up with dictators. So I'm you know, I don't think I'll comment on with you. This is landed there.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Liam.
Speaker 2: Thanks good to be here.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enziherld dot co dot enz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Seals Richard Martin as the sound engineer. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.