Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcasts now on iHeartRadio straight down.
Speaker 2: The middle of truck Sky, try.
Speaker 1: To get inside the game from every end goal. It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith and Leam Nabier powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by four Clive Solutions, lifting you and your business to a higher label. Elliott Smith Liam Napier in Johannesburg as we reflect on a pretty big win for the All Blacks thirty three seventeen over South Africa at Alice Park. Liam, Quite remarkable, wasn't it? So? I think I took the All Blacks by three? On the pod you I think when South Africa win.
Speaker 3: The box by three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And here we are, the All Blacks have one by seven against South Africa, pretty much against the odds as well. We'll dig into it obviously and then get through all the facets of the game. But it's always so like opening up and you're giving us your top line thoughts on what you made of that game.
Speaker 4: It was a night of knights, wasn't an Elliott's There's no grander, greater experience in world rugby than going to Alice Park sixty two thousand. There might have been three thousand New Zealand fans. So what's that fifty nine thousand screaming South Africans. It's a sea of green, It's a magic occasion. The atmosphere at the hostility like nothing else. They fly the passenger planes over the roof damp that makes the hairs on the back of your next stand up and what for. It's not as simple as it to say, fifty minutes the box dominated, but they had the All Blacks on the rack. They were one more scrum penalty away from potentially inflicting a yellow card a penalty try potentially on the All Blacks and probably just steamrolling home. And the All Blacks summoned their spirit from the dead. They had a scrum from the ages and produced. It wasn't a comeback because they were actually in front, which was defied belief in many respects at the time, but summoned a remarkable last quarter surge to come away with a victory that I don't know if anyone predicted the All Blacks going Alice Park and winning by thirteen plus.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think anyone did that. It was built on immense character from the All Blacks. And you know this has been instilled in a very short space of time some backbone into this team and it was certainly missing last year. Look, we did see aspects of it in the previous regime. We saw a good win against Ireland in Dublin, we saw a big win against the Box at Eden Park last year. But by and large, backbone had been missing from this All Blacks team and it felt like it had been restored last night at Alice Park. And that's not to say they're going to go on and win the series, although they put themselves in a good position now to do so. It's not to say that they're deserving even of the number one world ranking, but it was a win in spite of almost everything that could go wrong. Really, they managed to find a way. And I think that is the most compelling thing if you're an All Blacks fan listening to this, is that in spite of the stat shed and we're digging to some stats shortly, but the stats would suggest that the All Blacks had no chance of winning, let alone winning by seventeen points, and that's what they managed to do. So I think it was a win of real conviction for Dave Rinny's coaching methods for his coaching team, and I think there was a lot to like, even though they weren't even really able to implement the game plan that they've talked about about playing at pace and doing that sort of thing. Their rock speed was slower than South Africa, they weren't able to get you know, some players involved in the game as much as they would have liked.
Speaker 3: They kicked once more than the Spring Else.
Speaker 2: They didn't have a lot of post contact meters from their ball.
Speaker 4: Carriers, no, at least one hundreds less than the Box, which was quite evident in the first forty to fifty minutes. Yeah, and look, this was a Springbox team that had won twelve in the trot, that swept every major test nation in the past year. They won thirty one of their last thirty four games. They hadn't lost since that Egan Park game. They were only rarely missing Sair Calisi, so largely at full strength at their spiritual home. Everything stacked in their favor. So it was a remarkable win and it really is testament to what Dave Rennie has done in a little over two months, seven games, he has rebuilt the culture of that team. He has really empowered the players to take ownership, to have real buy in, to strip a lot of things out and empowered this team and rebuilt it. You know, a number of selections have been questioned, and he said the courage of his convictions. He surrounded himself with people he knows and trusts, and it's teams don't win in those circumstances unless they're unified and they have real internal character. Like you say, you don't face that sort of adversity, have your backs to the wall and respond like that. If you're not on the same page.
Speaker 2: The comparison I'm going to draw and an interesting one. I'll be intrigued to get your thoughts because you were there. I wasn't on that occasion was twenty twenty two when they were beaten the previous week in im Bibella, and you know, it felt like it was Ian Foster's last stand. Yet the players unified and turned in a performance to really be proud of, ultimately saving in Foster's job. There were more hiccups to come along the way, but that was a better performance I thought last night than the one even they won four years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I think Foster's tenure was deeply flawed in a lot of ways. And I'm still of the mind that he was largely saved by his assistant coaches Jason Ryan and Joe Schmidt. But he did have the support of the players, and that was very evident when they fronted Mark Robinson and basically demanded that he retain his posts. So he had the support largely of the senior players of that group. And again, you don't have that sort of response without that support, without that unity, and Raiser didn't have that increasingly, and his regime deteriorated because he lost the dressing room because the messages weren't getting.
Speaker 2: Through, game planers flowed.
Speaker 4: That's right, And the stark reality for me, Elliott is if you compare the last four All Blacks tests against the Box prior to this one, they lead all of those, even the one at Wellington, the record loss. They led that game at halftime. So all four of those games they collapsed to some degree in the second half. And that was the crippling element of Razors regime. After halftime, when the coaches are delivering the messages, they fell to pieces in those three quarters. Well, the All Blacks flipped the script and had that last quarter suage. They won the second half twenty one points to three, and there's many elements to that, but you don't do that if you're not aligned with the coaches, if your team's not unified. So I think there is comparisons in terms of the player support that Fossy had and Renny.
Speaker 2: Big moments in the game. With the fifty five minute scrum penalty that New Zealand got and they were under their sticks. South Africa would win a scrum penalty, scrum again, win a scrump penalty, scrum again, and then the script flips and the All Blacks win a scrump penalty under immense pressure on their line and with the scrum buckling couple of replacement props to so offered a moor out there as well, and they turned the tables on South Africa. They don't win that, and as you mentioned at the top, the game might quickly unravel, but there's no doubt that that was the ultimate turning point in the contest for mine.
Speaker 4: That's fifty fifth minute mark. The Springboks had five scrum penalties to that point. They their starting front row did an absolute number on the All Blacks. Now Nathan the groups. Dave Renny revealed that he left the Captain's run early on the Friday before the game and spent a large time in bed. He was sick, so maybe that had some contributing well.
Speaker 2: He also went down with a knee injury as well early in the game and then was getting warped by wilco Low and then had the head clash.
Speaker 3: With Georsh Lord's so tough hold for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, had roughold twenty four hours for Ethan the group. But the All Blacks couldn't lay the scrum platform early. You know, that was always mentioned as a key part of the game, and they couldn't even get parity until later on the game.
Speaker 4: It was a complete demolition job and on both sides of the scrum ox Niche was he got the wood over Tyrol Lomax. The scrum is back pedaling. I had some concerns prior to the match about the bull carrying within the All Black pack. I think that came to fruition and I think they did miss Patrick two Polow too, because along with the replacement front row, I think to perv going into Locke from blind sides did help shore up that scrum a wee bit because George Bauer came on and went into Lock and that did seem to make a difference. And also ox Niche was replaced the spring box loose head prop at the forty fifth minute mark, so I think if he stays on the field, I don't know how much gas he's got left in the tank because he was under an injury cloud pre match, but if he's on that field, I don't know. The All Blacks won that scrump penalty on their own line, but he's one of the world's best scrummages. So there's lots of different moments with the moments, aren't there. But the starting box front row demolitian job, and you're right that the All Blacks front row, and I think George Bauer got a lot of credit.
Speaker 3: I suffer on Moore.
Speaker 4: Was a tank and Fletcher newl big performance, but to going into Locke as well and ox Niche coming off, I think they were big elements in the remarkable flip of that dynamic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite remarkable because we didn't get a scrum until the fifteen minute Lark, so it was a long way for the first scrum. And you look at the stats, the All Blacks fit fifteen stafage is four, so a lot of the All Blacks going back pedling was on their own ball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that also speaks to the spring Box wasteful of opportunities. They committed twin twenty three turnovers and Dave Reni spoke a lot in there about the Box being the best team at converting and the twenty two well they flipped that script as well, didn't they.
Speaker 2: The Blacks had nine entries to South Africa's ten and leaving with average of three point six points to zero point seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think the Box average five point five points per inch generally so and all Bcks defense, yes, a massive scrambling defense. Look, I thought Jordi Barrett, he was my man of the match, made fifteen tackles, he got five turnovers. He was the guy who dislodged the ball from Malcolm Marx. If the Box score there, maybe it's a different game as well that they had the heat on. He loses the ball just out and there was at least one other time when Jordi Barrett strips the ball in contact.
Speaker 3: He was a massive effort.
Speaker 2: It was. It was huge. Let's stick into some of the other key moments of the game. The All Blacks heading the front early with the will Jordan Trith or Cam Reguard. Maybe it was best match. He's really kicking wise, but I thought his passing was really really good. Really Crisp just probably failed. Was one game one moment where he got the All Blacks out of a bit of trouble on their own line and the food spell got that much about the forty five meter mark. But what Rygud was able to do with those bullet passes on either flag and they used the short side a lot in that game, I thought was really really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought Regard was excellent, to be honest. His kicking game was good. He tried to snipe a couple of times, and his booming boot definitely helped. And I thought the All Blex kicking game in general increasingly got better. You had Roy guards, you had Quinta pile that telling fifty twenty two. Jeordi Barrett put one in late as well, so I thought they varied their game well. And yeah, with Roy guards, the Alblecks had a lot of success on the edge they went to Tupuvai when he was at blindside early on the on the edges and number of times he got that off float away for Josh Morby. But that's really where they made their meters. We mentioned the post contact meters and the lack of them, and I think that speaks to the lack of ball carriers in the pack. The line speed and the gag tackling from the Box was very effective and it was largely bill Black's backs that made the meters or certainly wider out that bill backs couldn't make a lot of headway through the middle, so I think that's something they needed to address. And also the high ball the spring Box used kept from the base a lot with Grant Williams if they've been holland charged them down. Once Sasha gotten up and under, he regathered it. So the Box certainly won the aerial battle they did.
Speaker 2: And again this goes in spite of everything, the hill Blacks were able to find a way the aerial battle. They couldn't contain it. Obviously, they're using the wingers going backwards and a couple occasions they had success with that, but by and large, so I forgot we were able to them where they wanted to. But I thought South Africa were rather limited in their attack and Yas Visa carried hard. I think he made the most meters in the game quite comfortably. Easter Hays and I thought carried strongly as well Peter Steph on occasion. But it just painted the difference, I guess between the two teams. The All Blacks look for a couple of strong carries and then looked to send it wide or find it a midfield overlap or a mismatch, yeah, or to kick or to kick, whereas South Africa were just looking to bash the line and then they had they had success with that, but then they got to a point and they weren't really able to go any further, didn't have the variations or the ability to back up quickly and use Visa again or whatever it might have been to really trouble the All Blacks.
Speaker 4: Well, their strength was there r Kelly's Hill, their their the ego took over. Just going to the scrum and just going to the air is not going to be enough five tries to one, like, you have to do more, And I think that painted a stark reality. We talked about those entries into the twenty two. Will just use the ball a little bit more, do something different, change it up. One of the South African Juno has mentioned to me after the game that referees very rarely world ward five six five six penalties for the same offense. And the All Blacks won that moment. But the spring Box need more variety and what they did they did exceptionally well, but it was limited. As you said, it was conservative as predictable. They need to throw something else at the All Blacks.
Speaker 2: Will they let Tony Brown off the chaining for this week? Will be able to do anything?
Speaker 4: Why bother having him in the coaching him? If you're not going to use him, he's put in a box. He's That was pure Russy And it was the same at Eden Park and their defeat there. That was a very old conservative team and performance. And then the next week I heard that that team that they selected and they named it on the Monday. Russy's just gone in and said we're naming this team and the assistant coaches were like, what He's completely changed the script. But the way they played certainly had a lot more Tony Ball in it that didn't it. And so you've got him in the mix. He's one of the best attacking mines in the game. And you've got some talent there. You've got Sasha, You've got Villains and Colby, Grant Williams, all these players, but you're not utilizing them well.
Speaker 2: Films tore the All Blacks to shreds last year in Wellington. He was excellent and played some had some wonderful lines that the All Blacks just couldn't handle, but didn't feel like he had any real opportunities in that game to speak of. He was well contained, but also didn't get any chances really to show what he can do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe the box are worried about their fitness and conditioning. I don't think they can live with the All Blacks, but they can play a little bit more without playing too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And that kind of goes back to the point around Little Black surging in the fine quarter is that apart from the reserve props and from the back up front row, there was no standout performance from the reserves. It was all starters that were able to find their way through in that last twenty minutes and have some big moments. And yeah, this wasn't the bombs. The All Blacks bomb squad of the reserves lifting them up. It was very much the starters, you know, being able to roll over the top of the South African bomb squad in the closing stages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's right.
Speaker 4: They did nullify the Box bomb squad and that replacement front row made a big impact. But three of the All Black's bench, Kyle Preston, Antonina Brown and Peter Luckeye were used for five minutes, so that speaks to your point. This wasn't the All Black's Bench on mass surging over the top. And again that speaks to the All Blacks formulating their own game plan, not meeting fire with fire, not having to have their own bomb squad per se, but finding energy and finding ways to counter what the Box are going to bring, particularly in that final quarter. But one swallow doesn't make a summer. And I think Russy got his bench elections wrong. He I think the lack of an outside back was exposed. They lost one of their wingers early in the ninth minute and Kolbe went off late. Esta Hasan had already been used, Crell had to go to the wing. There was a lot of moving parts there and the composition of their front rowers. I think they had a lot of traditional tight heads. The hooker ended up playing reserve, howker ended up playing prop. So I think we can expect big changes both in personnel and particularly with the composition of that bench because the bomb scored. Look, it's a fundamental part of their DNA. It's such a source of pride. They've come back and won so many games. You even think to the twenty twenty three World Cup, they won three successive knockout matches by one point, and that speaks to their ability to rise above pressure. Well, they floundered. Look at the way the game ended. They were panicking, they got two yellow cards, they shot the bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah well yeah. And the All Blacks, on the other hand, were pretty calm and confident that they could close the game out if they got down the right end of the field. And sure enough, that ten point ly ballooned out to a seventeen point advantage by the end of the game. And you know, it's probably typified by that couple of moments where the referee looks at the TMO intervenes and looks at the Ardie Savier. He contact on visa is cleared by Matthew Carley and then I'm not sure how this wasn't spotted at the time by Armasha Kelly on the touch line all Carli himself, but Carl Dixon on the far touch spotted it that maybe they should look at Canroygar being taken.
Speaker 3: Off the ball clear sinacorn in front.
Speaker 2: And so that's a yellow card. And then a minute passes knockdown by Rayanak and he goes in the burn. It's fifteen on thirty and the All Blacks close it out from there, and that was them. Yeah, you can't bank on yellow cards, but it was them trusting that at the right areas of the ground they'll come away with the points and will Jordan after almost being giving it to Creole and passing the ball back to curling Butter and his touch. Then they went back and score the next time to really close it out. But they trusted that they if they played it right areas of the park, would be able to lock the game down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, we probably need to eat a bit of humble pie. We were reasonably critical or worried about Matthew Carley. He's had a pension for cards. He's quite pedantic and it's very easy to say, in the context of an all Black win. But how refreshing was it to see him just tell the t motor bugger off, yeah and make his own mind up.
Speaker 3: I love that And he was right.
Speaker 4: The contact with Ardie Severe was body first and you can see it with the head coming forward. So I think he got that decision one hundred percent correct. And there was one earlier as involving look.
Speaker 2: Jacob jameson clearing out. I can't remember it was Visa or Easter Hazing off the top of my head, but.
Speaker 3: That one was probably a bit marginal.
Speaker 2: Well yes, but I think again that was the right cause no foul played there.
Speaker 3: It wasn't it was.
Speaker 2: It was in the actor clearing out. It wasn't maliciously taking the player off the ball, and so there's got to be a bit of leeway, and I think Matthew Carlely applied it that it was a It's probably not the right tun for the incident, but a rugby incident that Jacobson had no intent of smashing him off the ball. Visa was in it. I think it was Visa. I might be completely wrong, but you know it was in the actor clearing out and had reason to believe that he was in the way, So I have no issue with it, and it was it was refreshing to hear Matthew Carly overall the TMO and it just speaks. And this got any comment on it is that these tmos do not have a feel for the game.
Speaker 4: Well, you've made the point previously that they're not experienced.
Speaker 2: Reference how many you know, how many tests between Carli Dixon and Amisha Kelly would they have versus Adamson and yet he rides roughshot over the game. I cannot forigure that tried to So credits to Matthew Carli. I thought he was excellent. And again I've said this before with the test series, the ideal if he was referring all four.
Speaker 3: Games, Yeah, that's a good point. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, I don't think this is an element, but I'm just gonna throw it out there. If you're a referee and one team is highly critical of you in public throughout the week or attempting to put pressure on you and the other it goes out of their way to sidestep those issues.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's a that's a matter of perspective, because from South Africa's perspective, the all Blacks have thrown out the time wasting thing in the media. They've put it out there, so spective is in the eye of the beholder, really.
Speaker 3: Yes, maybe, But.
Speaker 4: Look, I think it's very clear that one them put a lot of avert pressure on the officials, from rolling out a formal tests referee to complaining about the breakdown and their all defense and it didn't work for them, which is great. So, and I think the other element, even if you're a one eyebox supporter, you can't sit there on any level possible and say that the officials determine the outcome of that game.
Speaker 2: No, you can't. I think it was clear that the All Blacks deserve the victory by the end, even if they perhaps, yeah, we're cycling backwards at a rate of knots for the first fifty five minutes, it's certainly at that set piece.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look, Da've already made the point that the final score line does not reflect that the nature of the contests, and I fully agree with that. Yeah, yep, they won by seventeen points, but that's grum moments, two yellow cards. They had the roll on and it can happen at altitudes. Just for the record, that was Your Black's biggest win at Alice Park in history. They have now won four of their last six games there. That eclipse Ian Foster's saving victory. It's also the heaviest defeat of the Russier Rassmus era.
Speaker 3: So that will sting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well at big time, and look, we know the spring box will hit back in Cape count I don't know absolutely which way Russi will go with the selections. When you'll name his team, he'll begin it what kind of bench he goes for. But they've got the depth that they can maybe not change their attack plan necessarily. Although yeah, as we go, as a pointed earlier, maybe Tony Brown gets left off the lit off the leash a little bit this week, but they can make changes. I think next week they'll try and apply school will pressure, but more on the All Blacks, whether it's drop goals, you know, if they can get some scrum dominance. I don't know that they'll keep scrummaging. I think they'll just try and bank threes. Yeah, I think next time it might be win a scrump penalty, take the shot, win a scrump panality, take the shot.
Speaker 4: Both teams turned down at least I think it was three shots each in the first half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they did so. Yeah, the spring box might double down and it may work for them in Cape jan. Where does this rank though, in terms of the All Blacks recent history in the last say decade or so, where does this win rank.
Speaker 4: It's a great question. I think it's their biggest one since their last at Alice Park, and you know that was a monumental backs to the wall upset triumph and this is on the same level the box back to back World Cup champions that their records, their status, the level of arrogance amongst their supporters generally, their their their strength and depth, Rusty Erasmus's influence over world rugby. That the minimal time that Dave Rennie's had with this team, you know, they were up against it by every metric and they were dead and buried, but certainly seem that way prior to that scre so the defiance, the courage, the composure to pull that out.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: Superb and it like to be there to witness it as pretty special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was great. The flyover and the harker and the anthems and everything like that. You know, as a as an outsider and a place like that pretty special to be there for occasion like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and to see the all bleckx linger on the pitch and enjoy the moment and to applaud their fans. You know, there was some decent pockets of them scattered around Alice Park. Look, those are memories I think as players and coaches and the supporters that were there that they'll they'll hold on to for a lifetime.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For me, it probably sits maybe just behind, but certainly pretty close to the win over Ireland in twenty twenty three the World Cup quarter final, because they had to summon everything to win that game and what it meant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, will cut probably elevates that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does, but again that was on neutral territory in France. Was in the spring Blocks backyard to come over and do it. So look, as we wrap up our game conversation, where does this leave the All Blacks in the context of the series? One went on the board out of four really look and look Russy Rasmus sort of pointed out even before the game a couple of days before that the third game is going to be the most important, and they've done it before. They come from behind an a lion series. They dropped games at twenty nineteen to twenty three World Cups and went away with winning it. So they know their way to doing it. But where does it leave the All Blacks. I guess in the context of the series, do you think.
Speaker 4: Makes I think they would take a lot of heart, a lot of confidence from that, and to not there's so much more that they can improve on that. There wasn't a great performance necessarily, but it was great resolve. And you know, you look at the scrum, you look at the high ball, you look at the lack of the post content meters and look at the discipline. They con seeded fourteen penalties and to still win in that circumstance and to have so much more you can prove improve, I think it leaves them in a great position. And look, I just love what Rennie's doing and I think it speaks to his experience. He's so level headed. Straight after the games. It's one one we're wary of the response, and we've seen the spring Box respond. Let's not underestimate them as well. We've seen them lose Eden Park and put a record score on the All Blacks. The following week. We've seen them lose World Cup Games, pull matches, We've seen them lose the opening British and Larrish Lions Test and come back. So they've been in this situation before, but it does feel a little bit different now with Reny there and he's not intimidated by Russy, He's happy to goad him in a little bit of a way. He's calm, he's composed, and that's reflected throughout the team. So and I didn't tip them per se, but I do have a lot of faith in and what he's building in such a short space assign So yeah, they're in a great spot. Ironically, the All Blacks have a fantastic record at Alice Park. I don't know the record off the top of my head, but for all their supporting Cape Town, that doesn't tend to translate from memory there. And undoubtedly, look, the Box will will win by any means possible. This is going to be I don't like using the term warfare or battle as such, but man, they're going to come for the All Blacks there physically and do whatever it takes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, the stage is set for the second teast of the series, but before that we have the matter of a Lions game to get to, so click break.
Speaker 4: It's going to be quite the contrast, isn't it Going back to Alice Park with five thousand people?
Speaker 2: Yep, Quick one on Tuesday night at seven o'clock Quick Break. We'll come back and analyze the team name for the Lions game after this on Rugby Directs.
Speaker 1: Rugby Diregged with Elliott Smith and Leam Navier powered by News Talk zby Black's Game Live and free on air and on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: You're back on Rugby Directs. The Lions team all black center face the Lions has been named Liam and I don't know where he caught surprises or not, because we kind of expected most of these players to be there. Maybe a mix of players on the bench that maybe we didn't think or vice versa. In the starting side. Are Moong at ten for the first time since the World Cup Finals, Law making his first all Black start. What stands out to you from that team named by Dave Rennie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think one Mwanga. As you said, he's the main talking point, isn't it. I think it's a challenging week for the All Blacks. I think the toughest of the tour to come off a test and have to get straight into another midweek game and for the coaches and the players there's certainly no respite.
Speaker 3: But ritchiem Wonga.
Speaker 4: Look, we haven't seen him in All Black jersey since twenty three World Cup Final. It's been so much chatter, so much talk about him coming home. Would he come home? Then he did, would he be available? When was he going to be available? We've talked a lot about it on the podcast. So to see him back and in the number ten jersey, it's going to generate a lot of interest.
Speaker 2: It is and almost in a way that's quite good to have some interest like that in the game and the fact that he's starting so we'll get big minutes you would think for the All Blacks Josh Jacob to come off the bench. So looking forward to seeing what he is able to do. Dave when he spoke to media this afternoon and said he's a better player than when he left New Zealand, Richie Wonger certainly says the same, and he spoke of his desire to with a little bit of unfinished business, I guess in the Black Jersey to come back and play for them. Again, So look, this is a game where there's not a lot of pressure. You wouldn't think coming into it for someone like Richie Wonger to take a step back into an international rugby.
Speaker 4: No, it's an ideal scenario. And he talked about it today, didn't he. That it's perhaps been a bit of a blessing in terms of the way he's come back from Japan, going back home, having a couple of games for Canterbury out of the spotlight to a degree, and then coming back in and also not having a lot of pressure on him in this all black environments. He hasn't been thrust straight into the test site. And look, he's very aware of where he sits in the picking, wasn't He talked today about helping room and love and biding his time being patients, that he's still obviously a competitor and wants to be the best, but sort of knows his place for now and that can change quickly form an injury can change in the space of seven days in one match.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's going to be really interesting.
Speaker 4: This is his first step, isn't it in terms of trying to I guess reclaim that number ten. Jersey also pretty intrigued to see tav Tavanawa get a start at twelve. We haven't seen enough of them, or a lot of them in the all black environment, so it's one thing to steamroll play off the bench for ten minutes, but to start, we'll be intriguing to see how he goes.
Speaker 3: You mentioned tay Lower there.
Speaker 4: I think there's plenty of the game for those outside backs, for Young and North, for and Ammoni in the Nardaua and one of those locks Sam Dowry picture two below two. Pretty down on troops there. They're going to have to back up for the Test side, don't they.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe even both of them might have to back up on the weekend, depending on what they think around that. And Dave Ronie said, obviously they could move to Bova back into the second row potentially this week. That might be an option that they look at for this Test match. That may of course look to keep him at six. But I suspect that one well you have obviously one when he needed, but maybe even both potentially to play the spring box. So likely they'll only get forty minutes and the other one off of thing a Farsig and Jamie Hannah, who are currently midyear Judiland around breakfast time tomorrow into South Africa. Not even sure if they know they're playing as but they're on the plane and we'll have to back up around you know, thirty six hours or thereabouts after their land in South Africa, which is quite remarkable as.
Speaker 4: A classical retail that Rennie shared about. He sent Jamie hannerh some messages, couldn't get hold of him, had to go get someone to bang on his door because they had to be on a flight in four hours.
Speaker 3: So things move pretty quickly. I think you're right.
Speaker 4: I think Patrick Typoloto will be the one that they'll pull early. You get Jamie Henner on probably at halftime, and maybe toy Bloto comes off the bench or maybe he even starts that second test. So yeah, there's a bit of a moving feces in terms of players coming and going.
Speaker 2: This tour is highly attritional, it is, and the other one is Anton Signa as well. Look by maybe at the time this is uploader we might have some more news on that front. Dave Rennie couldn't give too much away when we spoke to him a short time ago around the ankle inflammation arthritis issue that he developed around about twenty four hours out from the first test, certainly all out of the second test, but see it had been in hospital, So we'll wait and see. Obviously hoping it's the best for Anton. Real shame because after playing so well against the balls, you know, it felt like test rugby, he was about to maybe really announce himself over this series. And yeah, it doesn't sound particularly good.
Speaker 4: That's a great shame, and for him as much as anyone else, isn't it that you know, he would have been desperate to play at Alice Park. Imagine that being within reach and then having that pool from your grasp. It would be pretty devastated. And to test yourself against the world champions, to be involved in this once in a lifetime series, Yeah, very cruel scenario having played those tool games and he said an amazing rise having been the Blues Prayer player of the year. Yeah, great against the Balls player of the match and yeah, great shame because it does not sound good.
Speaker 2: No, we'll wait and see on that front. Interestingly, on the Anton signet issue, we had a message into the podcast or you did, Liam around that and asking why Simon Parker had been called in. This was from James, who said high, Liam, interested if you can address on your Rugby Direct podcast the selection of Parker over so Titi on the bench and then using him as replacement. Well before Lucky he did well, but based on past elections, this was quite a surprise. Cheers James. Well, Liam, you went straight to the source Reni and put that to him a short time ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question because we were debate and it was a surprise. Thoughts Satti would have been in that mix. Rennie talked to it today. He said that they wanted an extra height in the line out and they rate Simon Parker's defensive ability, his ability to clean bodies at the ruck. He said he was very good and the defensive more and the scenario played out perfectly for them because they did lose a blindside early. Well A Locke and Josh Lord Tovice switched to Locke and that propel Parker on late in the second half. Renny talked about the fact that maybe if you're on top and you wanted an athlete, then Cities he would have been better in the final twenty minutes, but they felt they had that basis covered with Lakeye. So yeah, lots of scenarios, but it was certainly something that we were debating over here, so a great question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks ver much. You can get in touch with us Rugby Directed News Talk ZB dot co dot Nz producer Marks in charge to the mailbag so he can forward them on and we'll try to answer your questions where and when we can hear on the podcast. But that'll about do us for the latest edition of Rugby Direct plenty to get stuck into enjoy your All Blacks Lions game. We will reflect on that on the pod come Thursday local time when we have our teams for the second test in Cape Town, the Rugby's greatest rivalry Tour rolls on, napes, rages on, rages on even Thanks to Mark Cally for producing, and of course to our friends at full Cliff Solutions, lifting you and your business to.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk st B. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio