Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk Sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Take another's it is out. The test is over. Goodness, smoke, beauty, it is out.
Speaker 3: Here, you gos. This delivery has in the music to Goold.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Coney, powered by News Talks head B at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome to On the Front Foot host Lord's Test. What's a sad result from New Zealand's point of view, A comprehensive loss in the test that lasted less than two full days. It should lords be exempt from criticism. Just excuses for the poor pitch. The black Cats catch needs work. Oh don't tell me. Another nightclub has jumped out and collided with the Indian cricket team. Hope it's only a small one and can be easily swept under the carpet. There's plenty more to follow on that one, Jeremy Coney, live from London. You would at the nightclub by any chance were in.
Speaker 3: I was well wrapped up well before that was so. That was about three o'clock in the morning. Yes it is. It's the latest of course, that's just come out over here that Ben Stokes and Atkinson were at this nightclub pretty late. It's not the fact that that is the issue. I think there's probably been some fighting, I say, and we don't know who the details of it yet. There has been a sort of a declaration that they will wait until they have found out exactly what happened before they named their second Test squad. It's not a good look, is it.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: It's the only thing is that it's after the Test match. It's not during, it's not before. I suppose you could say it's before the second Test, but that's about nine days away, so it is slightly different than perhaps the Nuser thing. But nevertheless, they are watching them obviously very closely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they have a curfew in place too, which is probably sort of a lack of judgment so to speak. I mean, players should be able to go and socialize after a game, and generally they do. It's just something that they don't need right in the middle of the Test match, bearing in minds what's happened over the last six months, and it just adds another I don't know, step of controversy following what is a controversial pitch to my mind. I mean, I just find that kind of pitch and it iss and we know there will be excuses made for Lords find it a substandard pitch in as much as it does nothing for the cricket fan who go there and they pay big bucks. I understand it's about one hundred and twenty five pounds to get in to Lords for a game and all I get is one hundred and sixty six overs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, money lost. Poor pitch, really poor pitch, and obviously not for the bowlers. We always talk about, you know, let's please, let's keep Test cricket going if we can. You and I are too believers that it's probably the most important format. There'll be many others who agree with us. Summers don't. That's fine, but and Stokes is one of those who actually does believe in the future of Test cricket quite firmly and fervently, and he said basically at the end of the Test match, this, this does nothing for the you know, the extreme conditions. It's a very unhelpful Test pitch to try and save a game that's very gently, very gently dying with let with all of us trying to hang on to it as long as we can, but strong variable bounce going down down right from the first ball, wasn't it low? Day four? Of course the covers were on it and day three, and then it went up up the last day, so then you get Bethel's grubber coming in along. It virtually unplayable. Really, you're getting a wicket every just every four overs, six balls. So you know, no groundsman, no groundsman makes a pitch and prepares a pitch where it's going to be a shocker. I mean, that's a that's a fact. I went out and had to look at it on the last day, on the fourth day. Actually, they've used this steaming method that he used at Wimbledon mimbleedon to kill all the stuff in the weeds and the or anything that attacks the grass and so on in between. And it looked like that. It was kind of like Jeffrey Boycott's when he had his hair done and he had those all those little that come up from the back and you got this kind of line of little tufts, but around it was surrounded, you know, the nice shiny baldness, and that's kind of how it looked with the grass too, tufts of grass one little tuft of grass here, and then a whole lot of organic matter which is just the earth, and then another one, and then a more earth, and so it looked a rather bear and very carefully kind of manicured pitch where the tufts of grass were really quite weird. And I don't understand why in cricket we don't try these things out in other places. First, for example, why not why not a championship game between you know, in a Division two match or a Division one match, to see what what if there's a if there's a problem or a difficulty. I don't think you do it in the test match once. So yeah, we learned very quickly Lbw's eleven bowld twelve twenty three more than any I think leg buyers quite a few leg byers, so you had to I think his bowlers learn very quickly and adapt. Now we had Williamson who was regarded not as a horse whisperer but a pitch whisperer, and he he kind of must have been passing things on about his what he was seeing. But we didn't quite bowl straight enough often enough, and I think the English did a bit more. They were lucky, of course they had their long fingered seamer who was ready to go and didn't get injured the way al one. Did you know Henry only four overs in that first day's play that he could bowl, and then when he came back from day two, when the sun came out for the only time in the match, he was just a little bit floating and he got a bit full and got driven a bit. So we then had to there was a lot on Smith. Actually, if you looked at our bowlers, we didn't do too badly for two guys who coming back from stress fractures. Jamison got through with a fire in the first got a bit of swing both ways, a little bit of control, but then not quite enough, going at four and a half almost first for his first innings. And then O'Rourke coming back are on a slow surface and I thought he bowled really well, it's not going to be hitting the stunt so much because he naturally bowls a shorter length, doesn't he And he challenges challenges batsman. He was hitting Besel on the shoulder, on the chest and I thought he bowled, you know, he looked dangerous and so and then Smith's of course only in his sixth Test match picking up his sixper as well. So and then Henry not quite able to do what we know he can, which was a shame. But I think the bowlers they didn't do badly. Was I don't know what you will have seen it. I know you pulled your bed into watch well.
Speaker 2: I mean I was impressed with him. You can you can accept that the ball is going to swing, You can accept that the ball is going to seem a bit, but it's the erratic bounce that players have troubled dealing with. You know, one hundred and forty k is not a spinner in sight, and the ball is up and down. You don't know what bounce is going to come. And as you say, Bethel got a low one, a few others got low ones as well. Something of a nice, reasonable bounce was very hard to predict. And so that's where it comes to the fore. But you know, the bowling was outstanding from museum and both sides. I suppose you could say that the Sambollers did a great job. New Zealand didn't lose the Test match necessarily because of the pitch. I think one area that might have even things up, as if they'd been able to catch a little better, Brooke wouldn't have got fifty. He was spilt twice. And in the second innings there were other chances they turned down, the opportunity of at lbw from Henry and the second innings. Some of those sorts of things added to the fact that England were able to bat together as a UNI and put on two hundred runs and two hundred boy, that was a gold mine on that ground, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, it was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: You're right in all those things. The catching, obviously I've got underlined just to mention to you, and I'm sure everybody knows that dropped first at eight. It was Brook backward point. It went reasonably quickly, but it was very catchable. Two hands to Conway behind and he put that down. Probably an easier catch was the one that he then hit to Ravendra on the midwicket boundary and he just muffed that completely, didn't judge it and was jumping half jumping at it. He got an easier second one and the second innings from Ben Duckett at midwicket. I can't, I honestly don't know how how even a club cricket can drop that was whether it amuses me a weebit that he can concentrate so hard batting, and yet somehow I don't think he actually even got a hand to that second one off Ben Duckett. I think it just hit him on the leg and as he fell away and it wasn't traveling very far so and then we dropped gay backward point again in the second innings that was con again another reverse cup chance. And I think also in the slips, didn't he there was a bit of a bit of a mix up between first slipper is getting just a bit too fine when the keeper goes up, and if you'd gone a bit wider, then at least if it had gone fine, it would have been to his correct hand, wouldn't it. He's a right hander, is Darryl Mitchell. So I just think we're not We're not kind of on the task just a little bit there with the catching, and there's got to be a lot of work because it is costing as matches. Certainly here probably I worked out between eighty five and one hundred runs, and it's very different chasing one sixty one seventy that it is two fifteen. You go in with a much more positive view about playing things. Catching, Yeah, definite, Bowling a tick and it'll get better. We'll get better at that the batting. I felt England was able to find more runs when New Zealand bowled straight and brought the pads and the stumps into play. New Zealand weren't quite capable of doing that. They either blocked it for a defensive stroke or they missed it and were given out. A lot more of our guys were bold, weren't they. But we really must work out in those situations. If you're only lasting twenty four balls. The whole point about betting is to get a few runs, isn't it for your team and you? Therefore, in those conditions which are severe, I think you've got to be a little bit more aggressive. And aggressive doesn't mean slogging. Jamieson did in the first dig and got away with it, didn't he And he certainly confumed Robinson and he dragged it down. They went even on a pitch where he said bring the stumps into play. They went into the short, the short pitched method with guys who were all packed around the leg side, so they really upset them. And I think we could have perhaps done that not so long, but be very selective about the hitting. And we saw it with Phillips, didn't we in the second evings, and so that was probably the way to play on that surface. So that's what we got to learn from that.
Speaker 2: The ingramd bowlers are going to bring the stumps into play more often, because I still have concerns about Latham, Conway, even Ravendra on the front foot that half press. They're getting their pads very much into play and bowling around the wickets. Atkinson, Robinson, tongue. They were all attacking the off stump and were basically putting them under immense pressure early on and they didn't get established.
Speaker 3: No, that's right. There was that the over of course where he might he nearly got a hat trick, wasn't it. Really he had it, and you know it's hard when you just go in and you're trying just to play a defensive stroke to get started. Latham three and nought. That was the second dismissal that was slightly concerning out there. He was clearly wanting to be more aggressive, but he went harder and got an edge and was caught second slip. Conways stuck at it, but he looked pretty uncomfortable, as we know Devon can at times. But he hung in there and he hung in there and he got a forty, didn't he And then was caught off the back of the bat and then Williamson again very early in the first and inns. That says a lot, doesn't it. I mean, when you've got Root who's basically got I'd look at what would he have? Fourteen and a half thousand or something like that runs, and you've got and then you've got Williamson with nine and a half to twenty three and a half thousand runs between them. Neither of them really got to twenty. It wasn't an easy surface. We were one for two, two for two, three for two, four twelve. It's hard to come back from there. Lords have got a problem, haven't they.
Speaker 4: They do.
Speaker 3: They've got three Test matches there this season, one against Pakistan coming up, and then they've got a Women's Test as well, and they only have two normally, don't they, And so they've got an extra one this year between England and India. I just think I don't think they'll take a test away from them. I spoke to Rob Lynch, who's the guy in charge of the groundsman. He was very subdued. He has a long term plan. But the problem for Lords will be over the next four years. The long term plans, they're going to do what Eden Park do. They're going to have the trays outside, the portable trays, and they'll have three of them, and they'll have a crane to transport them out there. The problem with Lords, of course is the slope. Those pictures are going to have to be put in on a slope, and so whether the frame of the pitch is what higher on one side than the other to make that slope, and they'd have to know exactly where that was going in the field, or they change the base upon which it will sit. Those are the only two options. I can think that they can use those, and then once they've played championship matches on them, they might be able to use them. At Lords. The Lord's surface is done wards it's dead and they don't know what to do with it.
Speaker 2: No, and they don't want to take it off the circuit because it earns a lot of money. There's always big crowds there. It is the home well place. Yeah, ah, there's no doubt about that. I mean, it's a delightful place to go and there's a lot to experience when you get there. But you know, the MCG copped it for a two day test, Perth copped it for a two day test, and lords has to stand up and face the issue and deal with it as best they can. And you're quite right, it looks from the outside as though it needs to be relaid, certainly the center block, because there's only an area where they have test matches that's in the center of the block. The rest of the purchase, I'm not sure how they respond, but you know that slope, how many do they need? Do they need? One?
Speaker 3: Five? Five to seven? Five to seven they required because that's where the TV. That's all they can cope with. So they cost them ten million pounds to dig it up and then not use it for three years while it's so there's the issue they confront as well. But that's their long term problem, long term solution. It's the next four or five years that is the issue. So they have to do something. You cannot play on a surface like that, otherwise if that happens, you know, two more times, then it will might it could well be it's there making tests away.
Speaker 2: Well that's something that they will have to look at along with the nightclub issues. One of the manner I suppose that will be of concern to New Zealand is Matt Henry. Is he fully fit? Do they have to look to Tickner? They got away to some extent without having Henry, but without him it puts a lot of pressure on Jamison, on O'Rourke and on Smith and they'll be fit enough to do the job. But you know, when you're talking about injuries that particularly O'Rourke and Jamison had, They've got a break between the first and second Test match, but Henry is still the man around who the bowling attack survives, isn't he?
Speaker 3: Yes, And because of the nature of the service, they didn't really have long spells. You know, Jamison fourteen overs in the first in English, Rourke eleven, you know, that's all out in thirty nine that's you know, you're not go bowling a lot ah you there. And then in the second and he's a little bit more fifty six overs, so they had to bowl a bit more and Smith where had to obviously come into play Vices seventeen and hen Henry started to look a bit better. Wads I'm confident if they look after him over the days they've got before this, because it's a week over a week away, that he could be okay. This is going to be a very different game the next game. The oval is flat, there are big runs being scored there. It'll be you know, it'll be more of a test for the England bowlers too. I think they're most dangerous bowlers on a surface like that. That was perfect for Robinson, wasn't it Absolutely perfect? New ball, no long spells, long fingered bowler, up and down, nipping a out. He couldn't ask for a better return. How's his fitness? We don't know that. That's one of the big issues about him, so we don't quite know. And I'll tell you the other dangerous bowlert for me is Ton. He's a nasty you know guye of face comes in about eleven o'clock, so that's where he bowls from. It's past the perpendicular about eleven rather than the twelve, and he gets at an angle that comes in at you all the time, and he hits the pitch hard about ninety and he's also getting seam as well, so he bowls he bolts balls. It'll get you out. But he does bowl bad bulls, short ones and he goes for about four and over, so but he's he takes wickets.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddle, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 2: Let's have a look from the other side of the world. An English viewpoint. One hundred and sixty six overs less than two full days and the home of cricket produced what I call a rogue results England one they can celebrate Badley. The image of Test cricket for me, was tarnished. Victor Marx, an old colleague of mine in the commentary box, has been one who will celebrate and he loves to celebrate at my expense, always has done. But Victor watched that game. He's probably one of the most astute analysts going around, and he's agreed to join us on the front foot. And I guess Vick Gill enjoyed the one. But to me, it wasn't one of the more memorable tests I've seen at Lord's Well.
Speaker 5: When wickets fall quickly, I mean there is often a lot of excitement. I mean it's a bit of a nightmare for batsman. I'm not sure anyone's got past fifty seven so far. In the match, so a certain amount of excitement, but also quite a lot of disappointment really in the corridors at Lord's because this Test has not been played on a surface that is ideal for Test. It they're going to lose quite a lot of money at Lord's actually because the game has got into the fourth day, but only because it poured with rain all Saturday. And the balance has not been great because the ball has dominated too easily. I mean, often we see matches, don't we wear the batsmen have dominated too much. It gets very dull. Well, in this one, it's been a nightmare for batsman really. The ball has kept low, move sideways and no one really has been able to play you know, a lot of exciting cricket shots. It's been a match for bowlders.
Speaker 2: It's unthinkable to suggest that Lords might be taken off the Test circuit or they might be changes made. I mean that that was done to the MCG when they had a two day Test, and I was also mentioned about person in the Eshes series. Will anything happen about that at Lords? I mean it's it's the tradition of the game, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm sure there'll be a sort of internal inquest because the Lords, as you know it, hosts two Test matches very often per season and it has that luxury to do that, and everyone wants to come and play at Lords, so there will be an internal phase of agonizing about how they get a pitch with the right balance. They've had a few problems here recently, but you know, One day finals have been a bit drod because the ball hasn't come onto the bat and have been low scoring affairs. Everyone wants to come and play at Laws, but they don't really want to come and play on a surface like that, especially unless you happen to be a fast bowler. So it's pretty serious for them and they will try and work it out, but they haven't managed to for this game because I'm sure they wanted a pitch that was likely to us for four or five days and produced quite a lot of runs, but they haven't been able to do that.
Speaker 2: In the end result is the outcome of the Test basically given England some form of confidences and answered questions and about the criticisms after the issues.
Speaker 5: Well, a win is a win, isn't it, and that will give them a bit of confidence and there's been a lot of soul searching posts the ashes which were so disappointing, so they'll take some confidence from that. I mean it's but it's been a disappointment more generally because it hasn't been the sort of Test match people want to come and watch, I don't think. But the bowlers have been on target. It's been a simple operation bowlive. But you've still got to get to board the right place and England did that well. They've thought better than New Zealand. They have put the old one down, but New Zealand had a few nightmariesh periods in the field I suppose, so that O victory is a victory and they will go on to the feeling a bit better. They've had one debiton come in Emilio Gay, who top scorer in the match, albeit with just fifty seven, so that's quite achievement for him. So he's got a nice future ahead of him just at the moment. So there's relief. I think there'll be relief from an English perspective that they've stopped the rot, stop the bleeding post ashes, which was as ever a bit of a trauma for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's been plenty of quality in the past bowling. There's been controversy about Joffre Archer and the money he's paid and not being available for the Test match, but they don't look as though they really need them at the moment the way the England bowling takers going well.
Speaker 5: No, I mean Joffre has special talent of attle quick from anything else, but on this surface pace was not particularly required. I mean Ollie Robinson coming back into the team of coursed havoc in the first and what you needed was sustained accuracy in England in the shape of Robinson. Josh Tongue has had a very good game again and is building his reputation, and Atkinson also has felt you know able to just bang away on a length, on a length, that's all you needed to do, be disciplined. So they didn't miss Joffra in this match. I don't think you'll playing the next one because I'm not sure he'll be ready for that too. If you're used to bowling four overs per match in the IPR, it's a huge leap to suddenly go into a Test match and the next one will be on a flatter service I'm sure where you're sort of required to bowl twenty overs per day, so that you've got to get your body prepared for that. So I don't think there's in the second Test. Maybe you're playing the third Test if you know, but if the other bowlers are doing so well, you might have to wait a bit longer than that. So it's a handy position to be in a way that there's no real urgency just at the minute to get him back in the team.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, Betsman haven't had much like in the Test match. A couple of fifties have probably been almost the difference between the two sides. The fact that Harry Brooke was let off a couple of times and got to fifty. That was basically the difference in the first innings and will ultimately probably be the difference in the Test.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right, but I mean fifty in this match is a sort of equivalent to one hundred in some other Test matches. And all the guys who have got leak back two people have got to fifty and they gave chances to get there. So there's been deflation the opposite whatever of the opposite of this in terms of the run scores, and oddly the wicket has done so much that Actually, the players who've been prepared to take a few chances have generally been the ones who have prospered a little bit. If you've played just conventionally like everyone's been craving, and just play everything on its merit, if you've let the bowlers keep bowling at you, there's always a ball there that's going to get them out. So I think people came to the conclusion this match progress actually you've got to take more risks, as the bassment to just try and upset the rhythm of the bowlers and make them bowl badly. But no one's really much to do that over a long period of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and sadly from your position, not a spinner scene.
Speaker 5: No. I mean, so Sharon Bashir came back into the side and he hadn't bowled the ball. He's had almost the perfect game. In fact, I think I might be nominating him for matter the match.
Speaker 4: He's not made a mistake.
Speaker 5: Wickets like this, it's going to kill the ass is spin bowling. But I don't suppose they'll all be The next two will be quite the same.
Speaker 2: Can we just look at this as almost a rogue result of rogue Test match because of the pitch conditions and we will expect better in the next two tests.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think so. I think you'll find that the services will be more batsman friendly. And also it's a nasty pitch to start a series with. If you're a batsman, you know it's been very difficult just to stay in sohea do you get a bit of rhythm going after a long break? So I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from the key. We defeat here, but they're having to come from behind there and the batsmen generally, I don't look very confident, but no one looked confident on this surface.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Waddle and Cody.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Lords, it's fitting that the ground should celebrate at status as the home of cricket, and this test the one hundred and fifty at the ground, thirty two more than the next most used ground four tests, the MCG. When it comes to statistics, there's few more passionates about the game and the facts and figures than Test Match Special Statsman Andy Saltzman, who does the job previously held by Bill Frindle. Jeremy Cooney has been working with Andy and the TMS team during the match at Lord's and as it came to its inevitable conclusion, I tracked Andy down to the Spaceship media box and Andy, nice to have you on the front foot with us. Despite the margin of defeat, New Zealand sustained. It seems from the way this has concluded in just one hundred and sixty six overs, it'll be more overused than just used.
Speaker 6: Well, yes, it's not been a good game, I think. And so just in terms of the cricket and said one and fifty tests, here the balls for wicket in this game twenty five balls, and of those previous un forty nine tests, has ever been one Lord's Test with a lower balls.
Speaker 4: For wicking That was back in eighteen eighty eight.
Speaker 6: So I don't know if it's quite the same media attention as this game has got.
Speaker 4: Well, I think, yeah, this is I'm questioningly being one.
Speaker 6: Of the worst pitches for test cricket lords and very random bouncy is it's made bat.
Speaker 4: In completely lost three.
Speaker 6: Really you can see the effect that's had on the bloes sort of footwork and the trust they have in where the bull is going to go. And so it's a been a rather unsatisfying game sort of dramatic at times, but again not really what you still want as a test book at love, I think, and a bit of a shame for this. Yeah, I guess a bit of a landmark game one hundred and match here.
Speaker 4: First I was back in eighteen eighty four, but.
Speaker 6: We've not had a better surface and a better contest, but a more even contest between batting and bowlings.
Speaker 2: I guess it's a statistician's dream as well, because already they're are three, as I think beck on this tis match who have got themselves on the honors board in both dressing rooms.
Speaker 6: Yes, and in fact, which is one of this, Kyle Jamison and the first in ins I meant that he was the three hundred.
Speaker 4: Player to get on the.
Speaker 6: Lord's Honors boards home and away in test cricket with his fiper. We've since had Olie Robinson and Nathan Smith get on as well, so something to see. Other how quite how long all the honors walls have actually physically been there, but comes a big part of the I guess the Fabrica, but not just the Lorson but cricket pavilions around the world. And yeah, so then there's a lot of great players that never made it on there, and so yeah, I imagine that both both do get on there. It's an absolute dream. But it sort of feels in this game that Harry Brooke and an Emilio game, you haven't gone on there for getting fifties. In fact, you could make it getting twenty five on the speeches. Have a little special honors board of your own.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, those honors boards, of course carry a lot of history and there's a lot of memories with it, but there are a lot of people who have performed in the past who wouldn't make the honest boards, as you mentioned in the one hundred and fifty Tish matches that have been played there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's Sachin Tendulcan never got a center here, Brian Laura Rippey, Ponting, Shane Warnt never got a fight for here. So this's you know, some of the great names. I guess that's part of a charm of gard that an Indian Thailander came in and smashed one hundred in two thousand and two to get himself on the Honest wall. So it's one of those. Yeah, it's a weird.
Speaker 4: Aspect of cricket, but you can be amongst the greatest players.
Speaker 6: And you know they get even long and might get a maximum five tests of Lord as a visiting player. So you can see why it's it's such a great opportunity when players do come here and you can see that that sort of emotion and pride when in Jamison and Nathan Smith is a visiting players that they've got their book tickets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I suppose they are relatively you players when you took a look at the history of Test cricket, there's a lot of New Zealand names on the honors board. And of course there's another feature as well that has been highlighted in this Test match, and that is the portrait of Martin Crow. And I've just seen a video image of it and it's a wonderful portrait of Crow. I think it really stands out.
Speaker 6: I'm not actually seen the picture, but he was actually I grew up watching.
Speaker 4: Cricket in the eighties and he was, you know, one of the players we've.
Speaker 6: Looked forward to to watching as a cricket bat.
Speaker 4: And it came over with New Zealand and.
Speaker 6: Would have been eighty three and eighty six nineteen nineteen ninety four beautiful player to watch. I was looking up to meet him a couple of times when I used to work for Cricket. One of the most extraordinary people I've never talked, so fascinating about the game. His writings about the game where I think some of the most insightful they'd better read from the next player. They were talking about that today with Big Marx and article Martin wrote in twenty fourteen about the gaps between balls that you.
Speaker 4: Can find still on crip info.
Speaker 6: It's one of the most extraordinary bits of writing about what it's like being in the middle in an international game, in a test match, the battle of the minds that you don't see as a spectator. So yeah, it's great that he's commemorated here at Lords for what he did as a player and the contributions he made to the game as a person.
Speaker 2: Everybody has special memories of Lords. How many test matches have you seen the one hundred and fifty test matches you've been doing the job for a fair at a time. Do you have a statistical record of how many you've done?
Speaker 6: I don't actually, I mean in terms of working on test matches. The first test I started working on Test matches and a Test Match special in twenty twenty and that was the COVID time of the note, so twenty twenty one would have been the first one, but it would have been in New Zealand here in twenty twenty one, or of a strange game that ended up with the Engram blopping out on the final day reading two hundred and seventy on before and over.
Speaker 4: I think they didn't go for it.
Speaker 6: And the New Zealand one the second Test at edge Press to take this the first Test I caim to watch here. The memory I think would have been a sawing came down the last day of the nineteen ninety five Tests against West Indian to Dominic port taker fourth innings seven to forty three on his debut, which was a rather dramatic day's days Test Crooket. So it's yeah, it's the great place to come and watch the watch Crookt and obviously Avyard to watch everything on television. And the first Laws Test I remember with nineteen eighty two, most in Karna Pakistan's ending are getting a double century.
Speaker 4: In Pakistan winning that game. So I actually a lot.
Speaker 6: Of the I guess iconic moments of Lords have been.
Speaker 4: You know, when there's a seen teams.
Speaker 6: Have won and particularly when they've got their their.
Speaker 4: First victory on this ground.
Speaker 6: And then New Zealand won when here was the nineteen ninety nine game. Maw All got the ninth century then only got some wickets. So yeah, that Pakistan which in the West Indies game, we just took myney in the historic Lord's Moments West Indleys in nineteen fifty at the School Park in the game they won then with Ramadin and Valentine they're two spinners and that game was over six hundred overs long in just sort of four and a big days, so they really got through the overs in those days.
Speaker 4: So yeah, there's.
Speaker 6: Any any cricket love of that, that sense of history when I view on there, and lucky enough the work here working with you on the World Cup fun in twenty nineteen, one of the most loud one of the loudest Lord's ever been the twenty twenty three Ashes tests that ended in that sort of two months. It was final day in the Johnny Bursto stamping and all the you area around ben so it's almost taking England to a brilliant victory. So yeah, so privilege obviously, so I'll be able to to.
Speaker 4: Come here and use it as an oits.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was going to say, you're sitting in the t mis box, You're probably in one of the best seats in the house, and you have a lot of people around you that are wanting your information and they want it correct. How much time do you spend making sure that the information and the stats that you've got are correct and you have them on your fingertip. I mean you must have a messive computer program.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not really my program.
Speaker 6: There's a kind of online databases as the crick Info starts through, which is publicly available.
Speaker 4: Anyone can can.
Speaker 6: Use that, and as the crickliz system which the broadcasters use that I have access to. So yeah, a lot of being able to get that information quickly of just these incredible databases and knowing how to as to use them, how to get the information that's it's relevant In terms of knowing it's true, I guess I just have to trust the people who are putting that data into those those databases, And I guess over the years and just sort of trained myself to know how to get to those those facts that you have any commentation of tromas and if I can.
Speaker 4: Find something to illustrate what they're saying.
Speaker 6: Statistically, just fine interesting works or happens within the game. Yeah, with that, without those databases, it will be pretty difficult.
Speaker 4: Bill Brindle, who did this.
Speaker 6: Test especially store of about thirty forty years. I think carrier hold some suitcase with trolley and books with him everywhere, and so it's a bit easier now.
Speaker 2: Not only is that it's such an of course you're you're a cricket lover and you will have great memories of Lord's Test metsch is it Is there any one particular memory over the time that you've been following cricket that sits with you?
Speaker 4: Oh? That's that's mentioned a few of the.
Speaker 3: Games.
Speaker 6: The one particular match in twenty twelve England played South Africa game slightly overshadowed by the you've been the Olympics in London. I think it had finished by that point. There had been the spat between Strauss and Peterson. Peterson was left out of that Test and it was a brilliant Test match and ended up in England nearly chasing down a big score in the fourpinnings. I think they got to needing about sixty in with three with its left and prior and swam going well and then Swan was run out and it was just a wonderful game with crickets and fantastic players on both sides. Stephen Finn and Ally magnificent in that game.
Speaker 4: So I just don't remember that. It was a game that doesn'tn't talked.
Speaker 6: About a lot because the series didn't get some keep it amount of profile because of the Olympics and because of England losing here. You intend to look back on it too much. But it was a sort of classic game which owed everything great about Test cricket and the way the narrative shifts and the bowls and you know those sort of infinite possibilities that you talk about with Test cricket that was sort of.
Speaker 4: Shown in that game. That's my my favorite games. I think that the the World.
Speaker 6: Cup Final, obviously the drama at the end of that that game, and the it's a curious way but it was decided on a regulation that no one had noticed until about five minutes before and came into effect, and not one can quite work out come up with this crazy idea. But I guess you know, it's supposed to be life.
Speaker 4: And that's that's brown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I should never ask that question because that coming up, but it cuts deep into a still understand. Yeah, well it's it's nice to talk to you and the you talk with a lot of passion, and having worked with you, of course I realized that passion that well, various grounds in the United Kingdom. Of of course Lords is the one that has just been complete. Did the one hundred and fiftieth Test match there, And there'll be plenty of memories you'll take away from this Test match, I guess.
Speaker 6: Yes, Yeah, Like I say, it's not a Test that I've enjoyed as a cricket fan. There's been some some great bowling from from both sides.
Speaker 4: You know, there's some clatters of of.
Speaker 6: Wickets, but it's you know, generally in a match what I said, that's a battle between between back and ball. And but I think basically the game has sort of been assuming England when it decided by New Zealand's fielding areas as much as as much as anything, so curious, untatisfying game this one. But yeah, there's looks for lots of game sort of better memories, I guess than in this one.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I don't want the stets to drop catches or the mist chances.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 6: Luckily, building stats are still in their infancy. Generally they're not entirely reliable, but I think you can probably agree it was not New Zealand's finest, finest matching.
Speaker 2: Lovely to talk to Andi Zeltzman a comedian in his own right. Of course, he works on BBC programs and is a very funny man, but also a very passionate cricket tragic. So we may well catch up with him again at some time. He's always got the facts and figures, and you would know, Jerry that when you want the facts and figures and you like giving correct figures and he's going to provide them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he follows the game intently. I have to say that the two men you spoke to Vic and then in fact none of the English was celebrating, particularly about the victory, they knew exactly what the pitch and the part that it played in that we dropped a couple of catches, really two or three key catchers, and that kind of might have been the game. And they realized very you know, very clearly that they can't be preparing surfaces like that again in such an important place. It's got such a lovely things around it, around the ground itself, but the most important part is the pitch. That's why people go there to watch the game, not go out in the Harris Garden, not go out into the museum and so on. So they were almost apologetic to me and saying, look, this is not good at all. And I'm sure you got that feeling as you were listening to them both.
Speaker 2: Well, certainly with Vic. They didn't apologize for the twenty nineteen World cut though, so.
Speaker 3: No, well they don't. But well he laughed. He laughed at the result though, didn't he and how it was decided.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 3: Yep, you laugh out of him. Well done.
Speaker 2: You can put your feet up for a week or so and prepare for the oval. Have you been able to catch up much with the Women's World Cup? Obviously big over there. They've had the big launch and New Zealand have had a warm up game against Bangladesh and also won against South Africa. They're slowly getting into the rum of the Women's World Cup tea twenties, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I mean the way that the competition has set up. Was it looks as though England and New Zealand are in one group and West Indies and Sri Lanka and so on, and then it's the other group. Of course that looks pretty tough, doesn't it. With Australia South Africa that's going to be an interesting game and the other team India. You know, that's the hard group. I think, so New Zealand a little bit lucky to have that. Some people are saying, well, New Zealand should get through. Let's hope so and let's hope they've they've had a break yep.
Speaker 2: As world champions, they've got a chance to try and retain their title and a comprehensive win over Bangladesh in particular was a important boost for them. We'll catch up with their first game in the program next week is we will be previewing the Oval Test match. So nice to have had you, Jerry, get your books out read up on that. Well, you know the Oval anyway, you do a lot of work there for the BBC and the Surrey club, don't you.
Speaker 3: I do. I'm off to do some commentary tomorrow. Was Surrey are playing Hampshire at the moment they're not in very good condition Surrey about seventh, which is most unusual for them that low on the table. They've had a lot of drawers, so there's a bit of pressure. We had rained here again today so they've lost a bit of time in that match. But yeah, no Odal is going to be a different set of circumstances we saw at launch.
Speaker 2: Yep, most definitely. All right, we'll go and enjoy yourself and stay away from those nightclubs, eh, all right.
Speaker 3: What I'll do that, especially straight after in England. Win, I will, that's for sure. You don't want to get to do any trouble kid, alright, what cheers out.
Speaker 4: All the wonderful summer.
Speaker 1: Do For more from News Talk sed B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.