Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talk SEDB.
Speaker 2: And a very good afternoon to you on Tim Beverage. Welcome to the Weekend Collective this Saturday, the twenty fourth of August. Gosh, I always say the date because it just reminds me how far through the year we're getting. Soon people will be saying, first of September, it's spring, but of course I go with the geological time of spring. But that'll be another topic for another day in September. But look well, looking forward to company through the course of the show, just looking further ahead for the one REEF Radio Show. From four o'clock, Ed McKnight's joining us to have a chat about a bunch of things. Can we bank announcing No, not sorry. We're talking about competitive rates for mortgage and haggling for a bit, haggling for a better interest rate, and where do you go and can you actually ever haggle for it? You just have to go with what the bank tells you. And from five o'clock for the Hall on a minute, I've got my here we go five o'clock we got a new guest, Kim Harvey's joining us to talk about building healthy habits and children and actually using their addiction to their phone. Well, this is not the way she's putting it. It's the way I'm putting it, using their addiction to technology to actually get them out the door, which does sound like a bit of an oxymoron. But we'll be exploring that further. I think there's something to do with setting them digital challenges on the physical front. But anyway, we'll be discussing that and that and how whether I've misdescribed that with Kim at five o'clock. But right now it is time for the panel, and my panelists a couple of us. I haven't written, really written down detailed introductory notes for these guys because they're both broadcasting legends and their own respect. And I'm going to go age before beauty. Actually, actually, you know what, I don't know who's good.
Speaker 3: Guy's gonna have to cut us in half and count the rings.
Speaker 2: Tell you what, Let's just go with the beauty first and forget the age. That's even worse too.
Speaker 4: I'll go and get that sade. You can keeping.
Speaker 2: As soon as I said that, I was like, hell, I'm going to anyway, Look, let's go talking. Yeah, I don't know. Look, the Silver Fox are broadcasting. There we go, Mark Kreisel, it's you. That's good. That's good. Moving on, how are you, Mark asked to see.
Speaker 3: Good mate, I'm good, I'm good. It feels like spring here in Auckland today.
Speaker 2: I came in a my T shirt today.
Speaker 3: For some reason, and all full respect for the rest of the country, because I don't know what the weather's like. You're so thoughtful, maybe not so good, but here in Auckland it's spring light.
Speaker 2: Well. Also, I think they're conditioning in the studio, may be a little warm as well, so that could be giving you a false sense of security, because in terms of the color of the sky, it's looking pretty wintery and gray and not particularly exciting. And you're well, you're good, you look well. Lovely to see you and.
Speaker 3: You can see people.
Speaker 2: You can guess why. I suddenly realized it was age before beauty. But here's another beauty. Here is Peter wolf Camp something of a silver Fox, but not as silver as Mark cries, or possibly I'm digging the hole as deep as I can go.
Speaker 4: How are you, Peek, I'm very well, thank you excellent.
Speaker 2: What have you been keeping up with?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 4: Funny, old well, interesting old day today. I've just come from an ordinational yours not something you do Saturday, because you are the high priest building. Young Chapy has been in the parish and he's chaplain to the school. It was ordained today as a as a Catholic priest. It's quite an event.
Speaker 2: I don't imagine it's common these days.
Speaker 4: Actually, you know, there's not a lot of them, to be fair.
Speaker 2: Chaplain as well. I like I like the word chaplain.
Speaker 4: I don't know what school. Oh yeah, it's great.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but it seems it sort of seems priestly sounds a bit holier, but chaplain sounds like, you know, just go and catch up with the chaplain.
Speaker 4: Thirty two, thirty thirty three, something like that.
Speaker 2: Just a boy, yeah, just a boy indeed.
Speaker 4: But it was really lovely.
Speaker 2: How many people went.
Speaker 4: Oh, Saint Pat's would have been pretty full. And then you know, typically it's it's also an opportunity for effectively his brother priests together as well, So a couple of bishops and a whole bunch of priests, a whole.
Speaker 2: Bunch, oh my god, imagine that just be crazy would be getting into the communion wine just be going off.
Speaker 4: It was really lovely. So an unusual thing to do on a Sunday, but that's.
Speaker 3: What I keep forgetting.
Speaker 2: You're a good Catholic boy?
Speaker 4: Good well, well maybe but yeah.
Speaker 2: Boy, no good questionable anyway. Hey, nice Toavy on the show. Guys, right, let's let's get into it. Have you been following? Oh, Mark, of course I know the answer to this question. Have you been following this week? The Democratic I do I have in the States?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, wow, man, they know how to throw a party, don't they. Those guys incredible. Like the speeches that I saw were amazing. On point, the Democrats just seem to be hitting upon the thing now of hope rather than despair, and that they're really marking themselves out against Trump, who is still you know, we're all going to die. This country's going down the toilet and only I can save it. So I'm really excited to see what comes next.
Speaker 2: Any speeches or appearances that stood out the most.
Speaker 3: Michelle Obama was amazing, amazing speaks every four years and it's a pow and apparently you know you don't want to follow her, so so her husband, who you may have heard of Barack, but he was not so keen to follow her apparently, But she was amazing. I thought Tim Waltz was pretty amazing as well. Actually Kamala was, yeah, kind of subdued compared to the other ones. Hillary was, Hillary Clinton was amazing, and actually Bill was pretty amazing as well. He very wise, kind of but lots of good little zingers in them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, enough to provoke Trump and to sort of, you know, obviously people he pretended. I think he was pretending he wasn't watching. He would have been glued to it, wouldn't.
Speaker 3: So it was interesting. I looked at the ratings for it, and the ratings were really high for people over the age of fifty five and very low for eighteen to thirty. But what I think is, and that's why they way they tailor it, those speeches are full of zingers, so people be watching clips of those singers rather than the whole thing will be those will be getting through.
Speaker 2: Well the other thing, don't I don't watch them. I don't watch the actual conference at all. I watched the late night shows because that's sort of how you get your politics news in a way, but you know where they're coming from. There's a certain slant to each one. But I just to be honest, I watched a bit of Stephen Colbert, who was in that amazing The thing that blew me away was the theater he was in. It was about four thousand people and it was this colossal theater. But Pete, what did you make of it all?
Speaker 4: I didn't get the opportunity to look at it in depth, But it is that those takeouts and watching Barack Obama come up very funny. Couple of real zingers, a couple of great One line is having a go at Trump. And I do like your comment about the sentiment of hope being there that rather than it being a really negative campaign, kind of a tearing down, it's like, okay, well you can say whatever you want and behave how you want. This is our goals, These are our aspirations, this is our dream.
Speaker 3: To be fair. They gave the Dawn a bit of a good kicking.
Speaker 2: That's funny. You know they don't like ad Hominem, but they certainly gave it to him.
Speaker 3: Michelle's old line of they go low, we go hi. She stayed low.
Speaker 2: She gave him a good pummeling in the nads.
Speaker 3: I listened to. I was listened to a podcast from some people were who were there, some Brits, and they were saying that what is extraordinary, you know we've all I'm assuming we've all been to America, was just how articulate every single speaker was that they all spoke from the heart, they told stories, they connected with their audience on a deep emotional level. And that's something that Americans do so well. You went to a national party or a Labor party coence, Honestly, I can't imagine anything.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty rough comparison the rasmatas of any American sort of or gathering versus in New Zealand do.
Speaker 3: The rhetoric so well. I've heard Winstons Peters speak incredibly well at Chunk Bear in Gallipoli and really passionately and when he fires up and he's focused in the right place, and of course David Longe was amazing. But we just don't do the oratory too well. I mean, Christopher Luxhon is a shocking speaker. Is he even recycled speeches? Remember this year and why use the same speech as he'd used the year before?
Speaker 2: Good on them? What economy.
Speaker 3: Actually in the country.
Speaker 2: A lot of maybe back to US politics. It's it's an interesting vibe because it's a celebration, but you're almost behind the scenes. You almost feel this energy of the complete relief that they're gone finally with you know, because obviously we don't need to trawl over the political corpse of Joe Biden, which is he's still present for the time being, but you know, the relief that they must feel, like apparently he's still got a he's got a bit of a beef with Nancy Pelosi about it, but she's.
Speaker 3: Get over it.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was time to go. If he doesn't it realize it now, he never will. I was waking up every morning looking at my phone hoping for a news alert saying he'd gone and gone. One day that came through.
Speaker 2: Interesting, there's been a poll in a couple of poles in New Zealand. So Torbert Mills is done one Talbot Mills whatever, and David Farrer's Courier Research. This is about if you could vote in the election. This is poll in New Zealanders and the overall results were for David Farrer's company Harris fifty nine, Trump twenty five. I'msure seventeen Torbert Mills. Is not much difference. Harris fifty five percent, Trump twenty one percent, Unsure, wouldn't vote twenty percent.
Speaker 3: I love, wouldn't vote because we don't get a vote. Like in many ways, I often think it can't. American election is far too important to leave it to Americans to vote, because I have people.
Speaker 2: Saying to me when they on my overnight shows, like they see me as a sort of middle maybe slightly right conservative. I caught myself a social concer. I don't get ready to give a toss about labels, to be honest, but they're saying, how come you'd be a Democrats supporter? And it's like, well, the whole American system, you could easily be a center right supporter here and support Democrats. The extremes at both ends are completely bonkers.
Speaker 3: Well, Trump is Trump has taken the Republican Party just way out there to the prairies somewhere, you know, And I think you know that that means the sense that he's just fled the center essentially, and the Democrats are kind of coalescing in and around there, but you know, still a little bit shell shocked and not quite knowing how to deal with that. But I think one of the things I was reading the other day is that they're not going to respond to his attacks all the time, and that takes a lot of the window out of him. You know, he's if he's abusing them and calling them names and things like that. And I think from now on it's going to get dirty.
Speaker 2: It's going to get it.
Speaker 3: It'll be interesting to see the nasty race stuff, to be nasty stuff about Kamala being a woman. You know, he's already gone down that line of saying, well, I didn't even know she was black, which was like, yeah, well I think we can. I mean, there'll be people are listening. He'll be Trump fans who can't stand listening to us right now. But that's just the way it is. I'm not I'm not a Trump fan at all. I think he's an odious creton. But it looks like newsanders aren't no anyway. But look, it's but in terms of the showers, I tell you what politics and it is. I mean, to be honest, if I was in town, I'll be honest with you. If I was in America and there was a Trump rally, a Trump rally in town, I'd go to that, And if I was the Democrat Rallier, I'd go to that too, because it's just a couple of amazing postcards of America. I mean, who wouldn't I remember going to see a Robert Muldoon when I was a kid in New Plymouth, sneaking in but you may laugh, but it was electric, you know. The guy could really get a crowd going, you know, and in many ways.
Speaker 2: He was kind of our track. That doesn't get my opponent's much time done.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 2: That's it's just such an interesting little little jump and topic from you know, we're going to an American or a Republican or a d all that. I went to Rob Muldoon once.
Speaker 4: Peter, I certainly remember Muldoon. David Longey came to school. I think for our something that it was the local MP back in the day.
Speaker 2: I don't know, the local just doesn't compete well.
Speaker 3: LONGI was an extraordinary space and so so was Muldoon. They were They were natural politicians in many way.
Speaker 2: Excellent. Oh well, the show, it's showburs and it's going to be rolling for how many more days?
Speaker 3: Is it still November? The first Tuesday of November, the.
Speaker 2: Debates will be the next thing I'll be looking for. Well, anyway, let's move on ACC this ye ACC has released stats showing the burden of alcohol and the health system. So nine point one. I think that there's data. It's sort of In twenty eighteen, there were nine hundred deaths caused by alcohol, twenty nine thousand hospitalizations, nine point one billion dollar in harm cost. But here's the stat that absolutely blew me away. Half of that due to fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Oh my lord, I mean, this is the problem with alcohol moderation and extremes of the extremes are devastating.
Speaker 3: I think you find if you looked deeply into our the people that are in our prisons as well, a large number of those would be people who were suffering from fetal alcohol.
Speaker 2: It's just that that's a devastating standard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean, look, we know this. We know that alcohol causes immeasurable harm in our society, domestic violence, car accidents. You know, it's it's if it was brought out today, they often say it wouldn't be made legal, and you know eighty percent are drinking responsibly. But this report makes alcohol look like the new tobacco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But the thing is there's eighty percent of people apparently drink responsibly and moderate drinking. Fine, that's the thing. That's that's the extremes, Isn't it so damaging? So even glass of pinot in the evening or charros or whatever, you.
Speaker 4: It's the really hard thing is that when we start to talk about it, you know, chances are I'm going to have a glass of wine tonight with dinner. You may well you are not.
Speaker 2: Now starts with a bottle.
Speaker 3: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than the front or the bottom.
Speaker 2: Of Oh my god.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The challenge with the topic is that as soon as we get starting to talk about it, and then we look at our own behavior, and then we start to think about to some degree our own and then it becomes a sort of binary thing. It's either good or it's bad, and the temptation then is to go right, that's it. We're going to start banning it and make it more difficult to access, et cetera, et cetera. Eight moderation. That's a lot of harm caused by very few people. Just staggering.
Speaker 2: Really, I think we are too tolerant of alcohol, but we're too tolerant of bad behavior with alcohol. To me, it feels like one of those things. If you can be a responsible person, you're not going to be a dickhead. When you've had a few drinks, then fine, But as soon as you do. I remember back in my law days, it used to be a mitigating factor in crime, and I'm not sure if it still is. It's like the judgment you took a swing at something, but you're on in my client and had a drink or two. I think it should be the other way around. If you take a swing at someone because you've had a drink or two, you should be it should be an aggravating factor. And I think that's the problem, is that we tolerate dickhead behavior when people have had too much alcohol. It should be the opposite. It should be the uncoolest, most aggravating thing you can do, and we should show it.
Speaker 3: It's cultural.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's you know, in terms of like us as young men, the attitude that we see, Yeah, exactly, you know. I mean, you know, got a look in the mirror. It's not a great picture. I know that, But I look at at the young people that I associate through my son and so on. I think the attitude is changed. Like see there's some grounds it's not.
Speaker 2: Or they binge drinking with the ones who that's the binge. You know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Much less so I mean, I've been out with police on a Friday night, just running around with the cameras seeing what their Friday night's like, and it's an absolute zoo. It's just crazy, and so much police time is wasted with drunken.
Speaker 2: Actually, here's that idea of mine and eds A if I as a politician and I brought an out of bell saying, if you are convicted of a crime, whatever penalty, you will have thirty three percent attitude. If it's if alcohol is at all a factor, would you support that? Because I reckon it's like, tell you what, here's an example. People who've got a problem with alcohol, they go to Singapore. Do you think they get in trouble when they're in Singapore? No? Because one booze is very expensive, but two because you know that you are in deep doo dooos because society doesn't tolerate.
Speaker 3: I don't know if punitive measures actually work that well. I mean I think that like drugs. This is probably more of a health issue, like if you were if you if you were getting in trouble. And I've been to the Dragon alcohol courts and they do incredible work and they make a real difference, and that's a different approach to it. I mean, I think one other thing is that like even though even in small amounts, alcohol is a carcinogen. You know, there are a bunch of cancers that were being caused by that that we probably don't even know about it at the moment, but you know, breast cancer is one and our high rate of breast cancer in this country. Is that related to how much alcohol we drink? Who knows, but you know, sometimes it's better just to acrew the lid back.
Speaker 2: Actually, it just reminds Moodels. That reminds me Pete of our Olympic coverage that every time a reporter was on there saying I'm going to go have a cheeky apparol spritsas and it sort of the drink you could mention without it seeming too naughty.
Speaker 4: And then in the morning across on. I think it is good that will can counsel thing to reduce trading hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our Beanngo.
Speaker 4: It seems fairly sensible, you know. I mean, if you have to go and stock up again at nine o'clock at night, probably bigger issues.
Speaker 3: To be honest.
Speaker 2: I went to we ran out of apparol. We picked that habit up when we were in Paris as well, and I thought, oh, it's too late. It's eight o'clock. We run out. Wonderful I can. And I thought it'd be too late because eight o'clock seemed like to be going out. And of course we went down the road and it's like there's a there's a bottle store now our next to the wards and still open, and like, I mean they closed before nine.
Speaker 3: They drink differently over there though, don't they know as fast?
Speaker 2: Just sippers?
Speaker 3: We're gold colors, scalars.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about are you talking in St Hele is there we're sippers or are you talking about in France?
Speaker 3: In France?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I went out last night. I caught up with some of my old mates, my old Sunday mates at the at the pub, and I could not believe how expensive it was, Oh my god, to buy around. I bought. I bought two drinks, yeah, a pint.
Speaker 2: That's not around. Oh okay, that's around. Yeah.
Speaker 3: How much do you reckon?
Speaker 2: Sixty dollars?
Speaker 3: No? Just under thirty thirty one dollar us?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What you got four drinks and it was just under two drinks too? Sorry, I heard I heard some. I heard you described.
Speaker 3: Hear what you want to hear them? Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, hey, I'm lo in the bag, mate, Pete. Last weord before we go to the break. Don't drink no, like, don't buy around.
Speaker 4: When I think about you know, me and my mates at at you know, in our late teens, early twenties, and I look around at some of the young people that I know now, I'm cautiously optimistic that maybe they've got their act together in a way that we didn't.
Speaker 2: Ee, let's fingers cross. Good on you, Pete wolfsh optimist, Good on you. Okay, we're going to take a quick break. Be back in just a moment. It's twenty six and a half past three. This is the panel on the Weekend Collective and those familiar voices you hear, Mark Krayzel and Pete wolf Camp will be back in just a moment news talks. He'd be and welcome back to the Weekend Collective. This is the panel on Tim Beverage and my guests are Mark Krysl and Pete wolf Camp. Hey, guys, the America's Cup started this week, and well, I mean in the America's Captain the Prix sort of louisvuitan regatta sort of thing. And I did go on to YouTube because I'm quite an America's Cup fan and started watching them. I was like, oh, I'm back on Yeah, so I'm quite into it. Pete, what about you, Pete?
Speaker 4: I did actually spend a little bit time this morning watching some replays or something from the Overnight one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well once it gets i.
Speaker 2: Mean two days. Yeah, But of course Team New Zealand toll be disappointed because two of their I mean, Prita sort of did. They lost all their systems for about twenty seconds, so that was gone, and the French pulled out.
Speaker 4: They just had to start and then they went as soon as they got across the line as a congratulation.
Speaker 2: Forty something knots out of a twelve knot breeze.
Speaker 3: No, noats, look insane. They looked like there was some sci fi terminator to tonight movie. But is it sailing? Oh my god? So they dropped out because the electric the electrics failed. I mean, really, I'm not seeing people running around putting spinnakers or anything. I'm not. I barely see anything. We're a bit faster than that, a little head popping up above it.
Speaker 2: It's high techt sailing, I guess. And it's like saying when you're I mean, you'd be like the guy who flies a tiger moth, who looks at someone who's in the lea jet going but is it flying?
Speaker 3: Well? Yeah, okay, I mean I feel I can't quite buy into it. Since they went to Barcelona.
Speaker 4: Does that still ir it irks me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, I mean I love Barcelona. It's beautiful city and all that kind of thing. Also, the time zones not not great for watching it. You can watch the replay and the coverage is great. Yeah, but it's not quite the same lists here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean, do we want to look at I'm not so, I'm not so much like that. I think we've we The problem is we had the one that we hosted here was Sport by COVID, and then the money just isn't there. I mean, you remember the mb you got in trouble for basically not been quite upfront with the way things were going on either. And I sort of think, you know, you either where either respect that their professionals sailors and they need the best of equipment and the best of funding or not. I just think it was I don't know, the days of the Red Sox. I think, come on, we've got to get over it. And I just hope. I just hope they can.
Speaker 3: But I don't expect to get as much support as you want to.
Speaker 2: Well that they don't need to. They've got mine. I mean, Pete, what do you reckon?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: I think I would prefer that it was here, right And if you're going to say that your team New Zealand, then you compete here.
Speaker 2: But there's no money, what do you do with let's compete here and lose it? You change the rules.
Speaker 3: You change the rules so you don't have to you know, you can only spend a certain amount. You know, if you're the holder, you can do whatever you want, you know. Yeah, I don't know. I just sort of think it's all about it.
Speaker 2: It's all about it changes.
Speaker 3: The rules, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Because there is no cap is there?
Speaker 3: I don't Evan and all the rest of it.
Speaker 2: Actually, I don't know if there's a cat. Yeah, I don't really know. Anyway, Look, I think it's fun. You're such a pooh pooy there. That's what my daughters would say. You're so poo pooey, Mark, you just conjured up in anyway. Look, it's by the way, if you're listening, you can check it out on YouTube. But it's early days. But if you do like the sale, my favorite one was when we won it back back over in the Bahamas. I think, wasn't it that that's about a few years ago.
Speaker 3: Was it the part I remember the San Francisco one?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right. No, we don't remember that one because we like to forget bad memories. Hey just understand, Well, I think that's that's a reason me light topic for something even lighter. Ben Boyce, who's one of the hosts of the hits here it ends at me. He's he's pranked his daughters on TikTok And normally I wouldn't be into this, but I watched the video and he basically goes into a drive through I think it's McDonald's, and he uses all the language of the young and they're basically dying a death in that. Anyway, we're going to play a little clip of it. But he's got three point four million views on TikTok, and I have to say I almost don't understand a single word he's saying. Here, but here it is hi, hi fan. I'm kind of feeling skivity, so I've got off my gat so to come up to riz up my chicken please, I r L.
Speaker 4: Thank that sounds sigma.
Speaker 2: It's just one check.
Speaker 3: I'm thirsty, so maybe have Do you have a minium lemonade?
Speaker 1: And it sounds bussing?
Speaker 2: Do you have the Sunday?
Speaker 1: If you have the sundow will hat the gritty no cap?
Speaker 4: All my daughters are don't be so yeah, let's.
Speaker 2: Got chocolate, weird flex small great, thanks, that's all good. Yeah, anyway, it's it is worth watching Chris. There's a just absolutely cringing in the background.
Speaker 3: Mortified.
Speaker 2: I used I used one hip word in front of my daughters the other day and they're like, oh Dad, you're so cringey, which is why I looked at this and thought, Ben, You're my hero. I think I'm gonna I'm gonna try this myself. Do you understand any of that people.
Speaker 4: Actually, I wonder whether he may well have sort of shone a light on a dark secret of parenthood, which is that our job is to embarrass the hell out of children in the opportunity particular need to embrace that.
Speaker 3: Is that that he is He's nailed it. Yeah, that's a gold medal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, vibe, chick, hit the gritty. No cap means no joke, I'm being serious. Cap means you're lying or joking. Where does the stuff come? Busting means very good. I can understand that one rez having a game that sort of makes that makes a little bit of sense, very good. The one that I the one that annoys me is sick. Oh that's so sick. It's like, but that's but that means good. But that's least he didn't use that one.
Speaker 3: That's not at least twenty years old sick, is it? Okay, that's not that.
Speaker 2: I just catching up.
Speaker 3: Really, my daughter uses sligh a lot. Oh yes, and legit legit is one at least.
Speaker 4: That's halfway in English word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, legit, Well legit is actually that is English, it's system abbreviation. It's not actually that hip. So yeah, we're not that cool with that one. We can probably do better. I need to go check my teenage that saw us.
Speaker 3: You know, when you look at you, when you look at popular culture, dads are complete defaces. There are very few hero heroic dads right in popular culture. Homer Simpson. Yeah, Pepper pigs, dad daddy people, they're always like and so kids are going out with these appalling role models. We have got a chance, No wonder, we're struggling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you do? Do you like you work in the media? How does how do? But did you ever embarrass your your daughter with dad stories?
Speaker 3: Every every joke of dad joke? Absolutely, they're very sophisticated.
Speaker 4: My joke dropping Joseph off outside, I drive in, right, don't drive? Why are you driving in? Because I've got my car pike up here? What do you mean you've got a car park here? Oh it's my cow pick. Oh you don't, Yes, you don't.
Speaker 2: And then you what you're supposed to say is I'm going to announce.
Speaker 4: Your arrivals for a bit ye.
Speaker 2: Anyway, at anyway, if you haven't seen it, he's got three point four million views, I would say he's got a bit of a payday coming to him. Problem because there are a couple of other ones he's pinned have also got about three million views. So Ben's killing it on the tiktoks zero people.
Speaker 3: He's a man of our times.
Speaker 2: Exactly good and we'll be back in just a moment. It's twenty two minutes to four news Talks the'd B and welcome back to the Weekend Collective. I'm Tim Beverage, my guests Mark Kreisel and Pete Wolfcamp. Aren't it well? I don't know how much merriment we can have, so let's have something serious. The Local Government New Zealand conference took place this week. Luxon ruffled a few feathers, basically telling basically telling councils to rain and the WISTE. I guess. He said the government wants a constructive relationship with councils, but that localism devolution comes with both rights and also responsibilities. So here ruffled a few feathers. I think around New Zealand generally people think oh, because councils are banging their apes up and there doesn't seem to be the same headlines around restraint. Pete Wolfcamp, what's your take?
Speaker 4: Well, reading the paper this morning, reading the Herald this morning. There's a story about a subdivision in west Auckland where I think it's four hundred and seventy houses. We're consented right, there's about four hundred of them built and occupied. At the moment. All of the waste goes down the pipes into a chamber where it then gets collected by trucks and trucked away because nobody's put in the waste water. Oh my god, so really so it kind of feels like stick to your netting, council. Oh I say that, I immediately want to leap in and go, you know, for all of the criticism that councils sometimes get. I was walking through Takapuna the other day where they've done sort of a redevelopment of some of the walkways and so on, and it's beautiful, and they had a light festival there the other day and it was packed with people enjoying themselves. And it's that like, well crafted, well built public amenity is in fact really really good. But then if the pipes are broken, you know, it's a very difficult choice for counsels to make because nobody sees the non sexy stuff, you know, the good infrastructure that works reliably. No one's going to pat you on the back for them.
Speaker 2: Maybe when they do some new pipes, they should have a big party to celebrate and say, look we've got some new pipes. You can't see them right now, but underneath here.
Speaker 4: Instructure, the central interceptor story is a fantastic story.
Speaker 2: What's that.
Speaker 4: You just flush toilet and think that it's all magic. The fairies come and take your poos away. There's a lot of fantastic progy, you know, and we should celebrate that sort of infrastructure stuff. It's it's not sexy, it doesn't get the headlines, but it's so absolutely critical.
Speaker 2: What Mark, what do you what do you think of?
Speaker 3: Because I think the Prime Minister was punching down. I mean I think it's it's it's politicians get blamed for everything, particularly government governments get blamed, clear Trevet said this morning. But there is only one politic type of politicians that's even more unpopular than the ones in the beehive, and that's local body one now, and that's because we never vote. This wowful amounts of people come out well and vote for for counsels and then everybody else wines well, actually get off your bums and vote and get in vote or something and stop winging. And I'm actually getting really sick of politicians of whatever h just blaming. Oh you're not doing this, blame, blame, blame. What about some positive solutions here? What are you said? Why did you just help them? If it's not working, then step up and help them. I think it's all about punishment. I'm sick of it.
Speaker 2: Hell have a willing audience, I think, because it does seem to be While the government's rhetoric is all around trying to save money here and there, people's rate spells have gone up quite substantially, and so you do want to sort of think, well, okay, I want to see the evidence that you're I want to just want to show me the evidence that you're doing good job. And the problem is, you get some good cans counsels, and you get ones with a fairly broad mixture of competencies, and it's, to be honest, it feels like a lottery.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of it comes down to this appalling infrastructure deficit we have in this country. With the catch up we're playing rather than just constantly maintaining them, were modernizing. But it's all of a sudden, we wake up one day and think, oh my god, we need infrastructure, and we start again and we've got to raise the money, and then people don't want people to spend. We should be spending at Auckland on a second halb, a crossing. We should be starting it now, because every day we delay and make the decision later it's going to be another few billion, trillion, gazillion dollars.
Speaker 2: I think the way there's a Welling audience for this is that to me, if I was to sum up what I think of local government, I'd think Wellington's debating whether to stick all these speed humps around whatever it is Thornton Key or something, and actually forget about what's above ground, start doing the stuff underground and you know, stuff I just want to see. I think most people just want to know that the basics are done well, and you know, the other stuff maybe take a back seat on the virtue signaling.
Speaker 4: Well, that was the normal, enormous irony of the conference in Welling. To step over a flash conference center and then outside at two o'clock in the morning, a massive will remain that's probably one hundred years old, bursts and floods. You know, a couple of side streets you just go, come.
Speaker 2: On, that's just language. It's a water spout, it's a tourist feature.
Speaker 3: But I also think I agree. I mean, you've got to do the basics. I agree, But you also want to create a city that you want to live in, that has festivals and parks and things for the kids to do. And that's just as important. You know that that you you grow some some love for the place where you lived, some care, and that way you'll get involved.
Speaker 4: And yeah, for all of the disruption of Key Street, if you go for a wander down here past Commercial Bay and hop onto the ferry and go across and look at the quality of that area now versus when it was kind of like a small motorway and all the rest of it is much better. It's probably been wateringly expensive. It took seemingly forever to do, didn't get it ready in time for the America's Cup. I remember walking through there on a Sunday, going, how come there's no one working? You know, why don't people want to work on these projects on a Sunday?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just assume they did. On the radio that's why this weak and collective. Yeah, number one nationwide. By the way, did I say that it just slipped out? I was thank you, thank you, thank you. It's thanks to my quality guests like yourselves. Well, anyway, I resemble that remark. I'm just going to go. We're just going to take a couple of minutes so I can sit back, have a couple of tea. The rest of my laurels. At twelve minutes to four, Oh my goodness. Mark Kreisel is absolutely grieven to the song from his I don't know when that would have been love Shack, but there it goes back a while. This panel, by the way, Mark krysl just last week, doesn't And Pete Wolfcamp, this is the panel on news talks'd be the weekend Collective. Now another sort of slightly heavy topic. But the government has stepped in after it was revealed that police have intentionally not been enforcing a law banning smoking and vapor and cars carrying children. I know that. I think probably the police have a lot on their plates, but not a single fine has been issued since the law came into force in twenty twenty one. Pete Wolfcamp, what say you?
Speaker 4: I guess it's more that they've got other jobs to do, which they probably prioritize. And this is a sort of public health issue. It's not a is it a criminal offense? Obvious police want to be that group that's just right the.
Speaker 2: Ticket and give it to them, see you later. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I kind of think they can barely get round to burglaries or all, you know, all the retail crime and all this kind of stuff. And if you if you're diverting that that that small resource to picking up people having a vape in their car while the kids are in there.
Speaker 2: I don't think you'd go out looking for them. But if you pull someone right down the window and out belows the smoke, then it's just like here, it's smoking in a car. There you go, knock your hand.
Speaker 4: Onto the list of seat belt, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: You know what's worse is the mobile phone use of people while striving in this country. Does my do you ever use yours while you're driving? No?
Speaker 2: Excellent?
Speaker 3: No? At the Lions? Does that count?
Speaker 2: Yes? It does count? Actually, people, I was asking for a friend all the time in the car, I mean, or googling. What is the meaning just it's it's a useful time to make a catch up on phone calls.
Speaker 4: Of course I do.
Speaker 3: I used the phone on my hands free but but but I wouldn't use I wouldn't but like be texting or anything like that. I mean, but I'm seeing people doing that all the time and no one's picking them up. I find that that, to me is far more.
Speaker 2: Back to this vaping thing, though, And it seems that the police are like, well, if they're vaping in the car, there'll be other problems and stuff and why. But it's almost like what, I don't know what their excuse really is in terms of if this is a law, you enforce it, don't you as opposed to oh, well you know there are there be other issues that play innutrition as well. Yeah yeah, But I mean it's not like do I charge you with something really serious or how do I charge you for this fight you got? Until we do we charge you with serious assault. It's just it's it's like, if I'm going sixty five and I get pulled over our cop, I'm getting a ticket. You're smoking in the car while you've got kids. Maybe the long term effects of that that's really serious.
Speaker 4: Too, but not a single citation note, not a single one. So let's say you do pull a car over and they've been speeding and wind the window down. There's some young children in the back, hopefully restrained, and mum or dad's been vaping. Would you add that to the ticket? You probably should.
Speaker 2: Well, so, in fact, you know what it tells you. It tells you that the police edict from management is like the government passed this law, but you know what, we're not enforcing it. Don't waste your time with it. That to me, there can be no other excuse other than management have decided to ignore the law, and anyone going to push back on that, it'd be a pretty hard thing.
Speaker 4: If you know, you see those the cop shows where they're gathering around and the sergeants up there, and this is what we're focusing on today. Team, let's go out and find people that have been vaping.
Speaker 2: That cas no, but maybe a reminder of so much more to do to.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm good try to. I'll give you that good try.
Speaker 2: But it clearly is a management thing, isn't it. They've been told not to.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I guess it's three years, three years of not a fine, they can't even get the real big ones. Well they've changed their approach now, but we'll see what that means. Hey, just quickly, Leon McDonald's quit, well he's quit, will have been quit or nudged or however it's gone. There probably be a payout there somewhere, I must say. I just you know, if it was Scott Robertson quitting, I'd be more excited. But I just want them to win in Southampia. Yeah, if this is the foster though, we were been throwing our hands and then toys out the colt completely. I mean I think the handle it really well, it was quite clean. I'm going we didn't get on. Yep, that's the grown up thing to do. That happens sometimes in life, you know, and you move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah you've tried, and you move flush the dunny and you move on. Just depends on how big the payout is more the dunny, Yes, indeed, and hopefully we beat them in South Africa. That would be the game. I'll get up now, ye talk, Yeah we go. Hey, thanks so much for your time, guys. We've got about thirty seconds to say goodbye. Mark. What are he up to you keeping? You've got a few plans in the world.
Speaker 3: I have some mines in the fire. Let's just say look out New Zealand. Good No, no no. When I left Sunday, I thought I wanted to I still want to tell stories, but I want to take it to another level. And even if I fall flat on my face, at least I had a crack.
Speaker 2: And people's resonant builder. Of course, I'll come when you do something. Yeah, six o'clock, get into it. Good on you.
Speaker 4: I'll give you a call.
Speaker 2: Do that, Okay, I'll set it to silent. Catch you soon. We'll be bad for the parents. Wide is next. Thanks to wonder Ifray of your show.
Speaker 1: Sorry for more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to News Talks It'd be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.