Speaker 1: Well, go to football fever. Hello that and welcome into football fever. It may well be the last football fever for a little while. We thought we might get a Grand Final to enjoy from a New Zealand point of view. Unfortunately that is not the case. I'm Jason Pine. Bonnie Jensen's here as well. It's done, all done Auckland FC's maiden season.
Speaker 2: Bonnie, this is not how the script was supposed to go. Finie, I can't really believe we're here, you know, really gutted, but also yeah, I don't think it's it's hit me quite yet. You know, I thought this week we were going to be planning and talking about the weekihait and what coverage we were going to be doing here at the Herald and News talks z'b. But I'm sure it's the same for Auckland f C. They probably had a few proactive plans in place for the Grand Final that haven't come to fruition.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they would have any decent operation, and we know that Auckland f C are a very decent operation, would have been planning ahead. I'm sure that there was a training schedule for the players this week in terms of you know, a recovery day on Sunday back and I guess today and then looking ahead towards hosting a Grand final, and now none of that is required. It is a funny old feeling because this team has taken us on such a ride over the last thirty one weeks that for that right to stop so abruptly and we all get told to get off, it's kind of hard hard to process. Let's talk about the game. Auckland FC going into the second leg of the semi on Saturday night, rather against Victory with a one neill lead from the first leg, Melbourne victory with two goals in the space of five minutes in the second half turned it around. Zinnadin Mashash and Bruno fauna Roli on the score sheet and they held out. We'll talk about the controversy in a moment, but in a wider sense, do you think Melbourne victory with a better team on the night?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I think That's what hurts so much. You know, I find it really hard to critique Auckland f C on the match, you know, and you look at oh, but they've had a great season and you know, some of the neutrals in the newsroom that haven't been involved like we have, Piney have kind of been like looking at the success and the bigger picture. But I'm still here reeling at the performance, thinking how did it go the way of Melbourne victory and how did Auckland f c let that happen. I thought we lacked a little bit of passion from the start. You know, we didn't create it as many opportunities as we would have as we can, and we're capable of the defense were exceptional as per but you know, I thought on field there were questionable decisions and plays, and off field from the coaching staff probably the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just wonder whether they might have got caught a little bit in between frames of mind. And Steve Corker has said all along, look, we go out to win every game. But I just wonder whether there was the thought in the back of their mind that if they knew that if they didn't concede, they would go to the Grand Final. So whether there was just a little scaic of that in their heads to say, let's just be a little bit more conservative, let's just sit a little bit more. I think what Melbourne victory also very cleverly did was change their change their formation, plus bring in some fresh faces up front. They they brought in Fauna Roli and Santos up top, which was different from the first game when it was Virgos who was, you know, the main striker, with Vloopa Lay and Arzani who both started as well. The back three with they had Rawlin's Miranda Jackson, who I thought were excellent. You know, I just took and Steve Coriker even said afterwards, it just took us a little bit of time to you know, to adjust to what they were doing. I think the tactical battle was won by Melbourne victory. And you know, the game just swung on that five minutes when they scored those two goals. But then as Auckland FC were chasing the game, I at no stage did I really think to myself, look, they absolutely deserve a goal here, they deserve to pull this back.
Speaker 2: No, And that's what I think was the biggest lead down in that last thirty minutes of the game, because that's what they had right about thirty minutes to when they were too nil down, and you know it was Steve Corriker made quite successive changes, a few of them I thought pulling Hiroki off was interesting Logan Rogerson obviously with that disallowed goal, which will no doubt talk about, And yeah, it was just very interesting. He also pulled off Felipe And I don't know, I just I wouldn't have probably panicked if I mean, I'm not Steve Corker, but if I was in that position, I probably wouldn't have panicked that much. It was still thirty minutes and they only needed a goal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and well, let's talk about the talking point of the whole game.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it is a talking point really, but we'll talk about it anyway.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: And actually before we do talk about it, you're right. The only reason it's a talking point is because it has become one, I think because mainly Steve Coriker has carried on the narrative long long after the game, and it probably in many ways has become something that has masked a performance that I'm sure he wasn't happy with. You know, they lost the game to nil. They haven't lost many games at all the season. They have conceded a goal against Melbourne victory. But because there's this controversy around this disallowed goal, it has almost become the story of the game for though I won't even explain for those who haven't seen it. Everybody's seen it. Gijumo Mai gets to the ball before the byline. There's no dispute there. He gets to the ball before it goes over the byline, but in the act of crossing the ball in the eyes of the assistant referee has gone behind come back into play. Logan Rogerson's headed it in from close range. The goal has been disallowed. You know, there's there's no absolutely cast iron way of knowing or not without the camera angle from pretty much directly above looking down whether it's gone out. But the process has been followed. The assistant referee has said that's gone out, The referee's gone with that. The VR doesn't have any other angles that you know, would say, okay, well you've made an error on the field, we have to overturn it. They followed the process, but it has become this massive, massive talking point because I think Auckland FC have made it one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you nailed that, pinting.
Speaker 2: I think Steve is perhaps using this as a little bit of a excuse and way to justify the performance. He was very very adamant in the press conference that it was that it was out, and I've looked back at it multiple times and I no, sorry, he was adamant it was in, and I was. I looked back at it and I think it was absolutely out. And yeah, as you say, they followed the vais process. I've actually gone to the the FA this morning to get comment because they do obviously review some of these controversial calls. So I've gone to them and sadly haven't heard back by the time we're recording this podcast. But yeah, I don't know. I think the fact that they're so caught up on that is a real shame because you know, I think what they did in that last thirty minutes probably speaks more volumes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you know, as I say, there's no official camera angle. What you know, if there was, they would have shown it on the TV. You know, we're as much in the dark as anybody else up in the TV commentary box. We're seeing the pictures that are on the big screen. And so I think everybody, once they saw that Guizumo may had kept it in, thought hey, this is going to be overturned. Because I think they a lot of people thought the reason it was chalked off in the first place was because the ball had gone behind before Gizumo May had crossed it in and it was clear that that hadn't happened. So okay, so we're okay now, But actually it was the ball going behind. Like I've seen some fan footage, nothing I've seen is unequivocal one way or the other. My personal view is like yours, I think the ball's gone out, But I'm almost certain I will never convince Steve Coricker of that. What I will say is that the assistant referees view is a heck of a lot better than Steve Corricker's.
Speaker 2: Yes, My thing is pliny is you look back to the women's semi final a few weeks ago. That call that was missed by the referees in the liner was far more obvious this one. I feel like they've got to move on and the fans have to move on, you know, as much as it hurts and you try and find something to blame, this one is yeah, is tricky, and it's yeah, it's too obvious the other way that is it. And for me, I feel like it's one of those those mind games, those brain games where it's like that the dress is at yellow and old or black and blue, you know that one. That's what I feel like it is because I look at the same video that my colleague is looking at in the office and he's like, that's one hundred percent in, and I'm like, no, no, it's one hundred percent out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I think. And there was a great line by our friend Andrew Vorman at Stuff in the article he wrote about it, and he said, Steve Coricker is seeing what he wants to see, and of course a coach does, but you can't tell me that if the situation was reversed and Melbourne victory score a goal like that which is allowed, that Steve Corecker wouldn't be saying that ball is out. You know, you see what you want to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think, you know, you do feel bad a little bit for Steve because it might come across at he's bag, a little bit of a sore loser or something like that, trying to find ways to justify the result. But I guess you know you've got to give it to him. Any coach will will react and you know, find ways to justify his team's performance. And I feel like about this time last year chief he with the Phoenix lost to Melbourne victory, there was some sort of reaction as well that was that was controversial. So yeah, it's it's just the way it goes. And I guess, you know, he's Steve is just as gutted as everyone else that they found themselves in this position.
Speaker 1: I guess what has become obvious this season is Steve Corika is a very emotional, passionate guy. Right that that's obvious and in many ways that has helped drive Aukland FC to the success they've had. He is fully all in on his team. You know, the overplaying of that strength is often a weakness right off in The weakness is the overplayed strength. And I think his inability to see any other you know, point of view is perhaps something that you know, I was gonna say he needs to work on. He'll probably not work on it. He'll say no, no, this is me warts and all. I fully you know, I am, I am all in on this as part of my coaching persona and a lot of players would say, you know what, we want our coach to back us to the hilt in situations like this. But I think you before he's coming across in a negative fashion. By by I mean I don't think he even congratulated Melbourne Victory on their win, not that you are absolutely duty bound to. But if I compare it to last week after the first League, Arthur Dillis was very generous in his praise. He said, look, yeah, Aukland, the Sue were very good tonight. We'll go away, we'll come back. And of course it's different because he knew he had another game to try and turn it around. Football is an emotional game and you talk about that moment in the women's semi final that actually literally cost Melbourne City that game. It was the last kick of the game which sent the Marinders threw on an off side that should never have been missed and it was unequivocal. There is no two ways about it. Isabelle Gomez was offside, it wasn't picked up. This is a different, different set of circumstances here, and after it happened, Auckland FC still had the best part of twenty five minutes to try and find a goal.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly. You're right.
Speaker 2: I think the only bright shining light for me when I was sitting in that press conference after the game is now there's they've got you know, they've got a bit of fire behind them for next season. I did kind of I was thinking heading into that game, you know what if they go all the way, what if they win that Grand Final and then what's next next season? You know that they've already done everything there is to achieve. So now it does excite me that little bit more for next season, knowing that, yeah, they're going to have a bit of fire behind them and yeah, they'll go at it probably even more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say so, yeah they will, because once you win everything, there's only one way to go from there unless you continue to push to high heights, which this team will. You know, this will be motivation, this will be fuel for them. They won't want to be back here. You have to give it to Melbourne Victory. I thought they were very, very good on Saturday night. I cannot find a player in their side, either those who started or who came on, who didn't contribute in a significant fashion to that game. I thought Jordi Valadon and Ryan t in the middle of the park for Victory were tremendous, absolutely brilliant in the middle of the park. I thought the back Lachland Jackson was herculean, you know, up top Bruno Fauna Roley, rolling back the years, Daniel Larsanni getting under the skin. Look, that is brilliant from Danie Larsanni, right, He got under the skin of the Auckland FC fan base all week by calling the team one dimensional and you know they're putting in lucky lucky nothing balls. He you know, straight away was getting booed. He was under the skin of the of the Auckland FC players. There were six yellow cards in that game. I think that's more than I've seen in any game. There was a big malay just before halftime, Alex Paulson's running in. You know, Melbourne Victory played this one perfectly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it did annoy me.
Speaker 2: It did to frustrate me a little bit the amount of times they had a calf cramp. But yeah, I thought their experience absolutely showed. And you know, even but showing slowing down the game is a bit of a dick move. They Yeah, they worked it in their favor. I thought, you know, regardless of Auckland f C's performance, it was one of the more entertaining games and I think the last the two matches between the two sides that the referees have kind of lead a lot go and they've you know, it was it was certainly a more physical contest than what we've seen most of the season to be.
Speaker 3: And I kind of like that for the A League.
Speaker 2: I like that it's not anytime a player goes down, you know, as an immediate I mean, there are obviously a few cards, but there are immediate cards and free kIPS and things like that. I like the kind of hustle and bustle that the A Leagues is seemingly becoming to be.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you feel that, you feel the same way.
Speaker 1: I feel exactly the same way. Thought Alex can let it go? Well, I thought he let it, let he let stuff go. And that's what you want. You don't want, you don't want to be just a whistle fest. Yeah, I think. And once the players know okay, here's the line, we can go up to it, they do one stat which stands out across the one hundred and eighty minutes by Melbourne Victory had two shots on target in the entire one hundred and eighty minutes. Wow, And they both went.
Speaker 3: In Oh no, it's not good, is it? Well, it's well it talks of for Alex Paulson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when the first leg, of course there were a lot of block shots, but in the second one, look, I find it hard to blame Alex for either goal. Actually the first one is a wicked deflection of Nando Pinekeer's knee which kind of spins it in a rather you know, unusual fashion away from him. The second goal, I mean, Fauna ROLI's one on one basically haven't evaded the off side trap and a guy like that isn't going to miss from that range. So I'm not sure there's a lot that Alex Pauson can do. But you know, I guess it goes to show that actually across the two games, Auckland FC were pretty good defensively in restricting Melbourne victory toust the two shots on target. Unfortunately, they're the two goals that decide the whole tie.
Speaker 2: Alex Paulson was the first person I looked to after the match and just saw him on the ground, hid in his hands, and I just felt for that kid, you know, after Melbourne victory broke his heart this time last year with the Phoenix, now again this year, you know, knowing that was his last game for the club. We know he's going. I guess we didn't know that for the Phoenix, So yeah, I felt kind of bad for him. I thought he deserved maybe more from his time in the A League. He's just been exceptional of these last two seasons. I did think his him going and getting that yellow card was he didn't need to do that. He was standing up for his boy Marley, wasn't he.
Speaker 1: I think he was an accident and I don't mind the one and all in kind of mentality, but I didn't really think that he needed to be there. You know, he's like all of us. I mean, there's a handbags going on all of a sudden, the Aleix Paulson in the middle of us. Kind of it's not a character really. What was in character for him was that after the game he was still outsigning autographs and having selfies an hour and a half after the final whistle. That's classy from him, because it's easy to go and hide, you know. And I watched the Auckland fans, the Auckland fans singing at the team after the final whistle, and I thought to myself, man, that is real bittersweet. That is hard. And then I saw Francis Dvrees and he had a big grin on his face, you know, and it was probably masking a deep disappointment. In fact, I know it was, but he was showing his appreciation to the fans who have cheered, you know, for this team right across the season. It is it is hard. You know, those players would have woken up the morning after the game and wished it was a bad dream, wish that actually no, No, We've still got this game to play and we'll get the job done. But football is crawel And as Logan Rogerson said to me after the game in an interview, that's football, and that he's right, that's football. Sometimes things don't go the way that you hope they will. So it's Melbourne Victory who go into the Grand Final. Though'll take on Melbourne City. I reckon Victory a favorite, Bonnie. Melbourne City finished second on the table. They got past Western United with very little fuss. But I reckon Melbourne Victory a favorite for the final.
Speaker 2: I told you, Parney, I told you they are lethal at this time of the year.
Speaker 1: You think I should listen to you more, shouldn't I?
Speaker 3: Yeah, But they did Valp got injured, as he says last.
Speaker 1: How you say his name?
Speaker 2: Yep, he Yeah, he will be a bit of a big loss. He's been quite good for them this season. They obviously their center back was was out injured.
Speaker 3: The captain.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Brendan Hammell, Yeah, he's he's out of the season. But Miranda's back so and with LP, Yeah, that's a big out. But they do have you know the likes of Virgos who came off the bench, Rennet Biscopo could could potentially start. You know. They they do have some some quite good reinforcements.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do.
Speaker 2: And that's that's what I was looking at when you know, we were bringing our reinforcements off off the bench, or Steve was.
Speaker 3: Looking at kind of.
Speaker 2: Like maybe the depth is where we've spoken about it often. You know that after that kind of core group of twelve thirteen players, there's not heaps after that. In saying that, you know, I thought like call and Elliott came on and did a great job. It's just were the same with Nate Armaday. Now it's just whether those decisions were the right ones at that right time.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, that's all in the past now. So it is Melbourne victory against Melbourne City in the A League Men's Grand Final Saturday night. Just a quick check of the odds Melbourne City your favorite dollar seventy Melbourne victory paying two dollars ten, the first ever Melbourne derby in terms of city verse victory in a Grand final. It's at Amy Park. I'll probably watch it, I would say, I'm not sure there'll be too many from Auckland FC who will tune in on Saturday night to watch the game they wish they were in. But you know, we can perhaps give it a bit of space and then give a decent review of the Auckland FC season. But for now it is done. All done with a loss in the Second League of the semi final by two goals to nil. Feel well, let's go to our national team, starting with the Football Ferns. Michael Maine, after a rather long and drawn out process, was last week officially confirmed as Football Ferns head coach through until the end of the next World Cup in twenty twenty seven. Is this a good decision?
Speaker 2: I'm not like one hundred percent convinced on it. I think maybe for new Zealand Football. It might be just a little bit of comfort knowing that Mayne's been in the system and they're kind of aligned on that respect. I'm not sure how well received it would have been from everyone in the squad and saying that no coaches, you know, it is all players have their favorites, coaches have their favorites, you know. So I'm really excited by Maine being in there. I feel like he's kind of taken a bit of control in his selections this year in terms of, you know, making a statement with dropping some of the senior players, wanting to look at other other characters. But yeah, I think I need to see more from him to give you an answer on that one Pointy.
Speaker 1: What I have liked is, and you've mentioned this a couple of times to me, the fact that while he's been interim coach, he's acted like a head coach. I do like that he hasn't been scared to make, you know, selection decisions. It hasn't felt like he's a placeholder, and even if he has been, he has I'm sure treated it like he's not a placeholder, if that makes sense. You know, he has always acted like a head coach he's always been very forthright and adamant that he wants the job full time. He's clearly fully committed to it. So I think, you know, we don't know who the other candidates were, but I don't think it's the worst decision they could have made. The players, you know pretty much all know him, they know his style. He's got a couple of years now before the next World Cup to you know, to to really impress his tactics and his playing style on this team and get his selections right. He's got, you know, some young up and coming players who will see very shortly actually again in this two game series against Venezuela. I don't mind it a bit like you, It's not like it's not a rock star appointment by any stretch of the imagination. But then when they hie yitka, that's what that was, trumpet it as and look how that turned out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I act she's caught up with New Zealand Football Chief executive Andrew Pragnell and Maney as well. On Friday at the announcement, and Andrew said one of the reasons, he said that they had some good candidates apply with international experience and club experience from around the world, and he said that he wasn't convinced on all of them because they didn't know half the name of.
Speaker 3: The football fans.
Speaker 2: And you know, whereas Mani knows everyone, he knows everyone in the junior system. And you could look at that from both sides. You know, you want someone that knows the players and knows what brings the best out of players, but equally you might want someone that comes in with no bias, you know, So it is going to be interesting. I also obviously mentioned caught up with many and he said it was actually quite a tough interview process. There were a few long, long format interviews and they were all happening at the same time he was having to select the squad to go to Spain to play Venezuela. So he said that was a bit of a tricky time for him, but yeah, obviously worked out. He's pleased that worked out. So yeah, I think we've got to give him a shot. See how it goes. Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see, and we will see soon as well, because there's games obviously coming up. The football Ferns are playing Venezuela. As I say, in these two games up in Spain. Hopefully they go better than the last time the football Ferns got together against Chinese Taipei where both of the games were canceled. Our first game is early on Sunday morning, this coming Sunday morning across King's Birthday weekend, four o'clock and then four o'clock in the morning on Wednesday, the fourth of June. Beyond that, I presume World Cup qualifying because of course New Zealand go through go through Oceania to qualify for the World Cup. You know, they always have, They always get through, Okay, So I presume those games will be sometime next year and then a program will be put in place to try and give the Ferns the best chance for the next World Cup in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, by the sounds of it, they are not playing in the July window. They haven't got on to it in terms of organizing something, which is a bit frustrating. But I think the rest of the windows this year that they should have fixtures confirmed or there or thereabouts.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 2: It doesn't sound like as well they'll be back in New Zealand this year, which is a real shame given you off the back of the World Cup. They've only played here once. But yeah, no, I think they announced the other day that they're going to host the semi final in the final of the Oceania World Cup qualifiers, so that's early next year, maybe March, So yeah, that'll be good to have that and see how they go there.
Speaker 1: Good stuff all right, well, from the football Ferns to the All Whites. They've got the Canadian Shield tournament in Toronto coming up next month and Darren Baisley his name de side for that. Ben Old is back having recovered from injury. Finn Sermon comes back in as well. He didn't play in the last World Cup qualifiers because he was trying to solidify his place at Portland Timbers, which he's well and truly done. Callan Elliott is back in. They're billed to Iloma and Nick Sanev is also at the expense of Oli Sale. Phoenix defender and longtime first choice right back Tim Payne has been left out. His partner is due to give birth close to this period. We're at the point now and we've talked about this before where good players are missing out on All White squads and that is exactly what I'm sure Darren Basley wants like I say, he's left Olie sale of this one. No room for Logan Rogerson, no room for Max Mata. Yeah, the race as well, and truly on bond for seats on the plane for the World Cup next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really exciting. You know.
Speaker 2: I was gutted to see Logan miss out on the squad, but like, who do you pull out to replace him? You know, and the likes of Kall and Elliott excited again to see to see him in there, but you know that that's kind of he's in there at the expense of Tim Payne, who's who's not there, you know, for personal reasons. So it is it is very exciting, and you look through the list and you think everyone of those players needs to be getting minutes between now and the World Cup for their club teams if they want to be on the plane, even the players that are that are on the on the bubble, on the fringe. So really exciting to see the amount of dear Then I just think like, oh, I'm so excited for that World Cup and I feel like the prospects are pretty high of us advancing from the group stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I agree, it all comes down to who we draw. Obviously the draw will be done in December, but yeah, I mean this this group and you look at the players there and as I say, the players who you know, who are going to miss out, good players who in the past would have been you know, almost first choices are going to miss out. And there's so much depth in positions. I mean even even at center back. You know, you look at at at Finn Sermon and Tyler Binden and Michael Boxel and Nando Pinekeer. You know, there's four high quality center backs there, and I reckon Nando's fourth in line. At the moment, I think Tyler Binden and Finn Sermon may well be our first choice center back pairing at the World Cup next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's actually crazy, like who misses that because Bill Tyloma is back in the end, but who's missed out at that expense?
Speaker 1: Well, Tim pay is the one who's dropped out for him. Yeah, but then Callen's coming as well. Storm the storm Room I think was part of the the last World Cup qualifiers. He hasn't He's not there, so yeah, so storm Room. It's a funny one. The storm room. Sometimes you think he's Tim Pain's backup, and then he misses out when Tim Paine's not even there. So he's one who's clearly got a bit to prove and will have the opportunity to do so. I'm also just trying to work out who from the last squad is not there. I've mentioned Olie Saale, perhaps a couple of others as well who were more fringe players. But it's a really good squad, and you know, they play Cote Devoirs who are forty first in the world, and Ukraine who are twenty fifth. These are really good games. You've spoken before about how we should be playing teams who aren't absolutely at the top, like your top ten sides, but not playing you know, sides in the one hundred and forties. I think these are two excellent gauges of where the your whites are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is great, and they're obviously gonna they've been and be playing in Canada, so there's no way they can use probably the field or pitch conditions as an excuse, so it's yeah, it's an exciting upcoming window.
Speaker 3: I do look at this.
Speaker 2: Since twenty three players selected, you wonder if maybe they'll select closer to twenty six, maybe close to thirty players for the World Cup next year, So those players that have missed out, they'll still have their art and the prize.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 1: I'm still trying to find out. I've almost made this a personal crusade, and maybe a listener might know, but I've been trying to find out officially what the squad size is for the World I.
Speaker 2: Don't think naskins. I don't think they've confirmed it. I asked Pregnant the other day and he said they're not sure yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Darren Base didn't know either the last time I checked with them. And you think if anyone would know about the head coach or the CEO, and they don't. So of course it was twenty six last time in cut up, but that was still in a round COVID times where travel was not quite as free. It's always been twenty three. I think you're right, Bunny. I think it probably not. He'll name sort of an extended squad, Like let's say it's twenty three, I'd say there be seven or eight players on standby right, non traveling reserves. If it's twenty six, he's got a bit more riggle Room there to have players in certain positions where he thinks they might need a bit of extra cover. But yeah, anyway, whether it's twenty three or twenty six, the point stands there are still good players not going to that World Cup, but they have a full year to prove to Darren Baisley that they should be on that plane. Now, just on that Ben Wayne has been released by Plymouth ar Guile so currently doesn't have a club.
Speaker 3: Don't say the Phoenix.
Speaker 1: No, I actually I think he might be going to Auckland f C. If Max Mutter is recalled by his parent club, Shrewsbury Town, then Ben Wayne is a like for like replacement for Max Mutter.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, I think he's probably better than Max Mutter as well, so that'd be a great signing for Auckland f C. More probably more of like an out and out striker. I'm not sure, do you think, oh.
Speaker 1: Ben Wade's a good a leg striker. I mean, you know, I'm sure the Phoenix would love to have him back, you know, And look, he needs a club. Like all of these players, you cannot in the year before a World Cup be risking game time. You've got to go like Ben Wade knows if he comes back to the Phoenix or Auckland FC, he'll play twenty five thirty matches. You know, he'll play every week. That's been the problem over in the UK. He didn't get many games for Plymouth. He was out on loan at Mansfield Town. He wasn't even making their side much of the time. So he needs to be playing. These guys all need to be playing for their clubs otherwise you really find yourself falling down the pecking order in a tight field down base. He said it, You've got to be playing for your club, So find a club where you are going to be playing. Look, I get the feeling. Ben Wade or probably buy irons in the fire in the UK or his agent will, and he may well pop up somewhere over there. But regardless of where he is or any of these guys are, Matt Garbett is the other one who doesn't have a club either beyond this current season with nack Braider, He's got a finer club. You think Matt Garbage's one of our best players, but he's still got to be playing.
Speaker 3: So exciting, isn't it painting?
Speaker 2: I was just looking almost exactly twelve months away from the World Cup.
Speaker 1: Imagine the Football Fever podcasts during the World Cup next year.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we've got to pitch to them that naturally, do we based ourselves over there, right, and we cover it from from the United States or Mexico or Canada wherever we need to be.
Speaker 1: I think that's the only way that this can be a credible podloge yet exactly right. We can't just be a sort of a fly by night where we just sort of do it at a studio back in New Zealand. We have to be on the ground, just on the field you mentioned before where the All Hits are playing in Toronto. That field in Toronto's hosting games at the World Cup next year, So it'll it'll be you know, man, it'll be a wetter appetite watching them play on a ground where the World Cup will be. They could be in you know, we don't know where they're going to be based until the draw is made at the back end of the year. All right, Bonnie, Well, I think we probably give ourselves a bit of breathing space from Football Fever for a little while. Maybe once the Football Ferns and the All Whites have had their games and the nation in a while we can come back. But for Auckland FC, thank you for giving us so much to talk about over the last thirty one weeks or so. The Wellington Phoenix as well. Of course the men's and women's sides have also been points of discussion on the podcast. But yeah, we'll take away little little hiatus and adjourn when there is some more football to talk about. Have an excellent couple of weeks, Bonnie.
Speaker 3: It's been real Piney. We'll see you soon.
Speaker 1: This is what dor