Speaker 1: Live for the Export Beer Guns Studio and brought to you by Export Ultra. This is the Agenda Podcast for Monday, the twelfth of August.
Speaker 2: The Agenda Podcast, the home of Sporting nonsense and clap Trap, brought to you by Export of Culture.
Speaker 3: Morning Lane Morning, how was your weekend?
Speaker 4: Great weekend? A great weekend. I'm just very thankful for the New Zealand Olympic to meet the team for slapping the massive dead fish that has gold medals on the table and distracting everyone else from the abysmal All Blacks and Warriors WEEKID.
Speaker 3: I don't actually see anything else other than the Olympics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they didn't need that. Was there something else going on?
Speaker 1: Nah, not that I'm aware of. As far as I was concerned. It was just the Olympics, but also our great New Zealander campaign rages on as well. We'll get into the Olympics as well. Yeah, we were just watching the closing ceremony out in the office. We'll get into all of the medals we want, and we'll get into ray Gun with all of that very shortly. But first of all, the great, greatest New Zealander of all time raged on over the weekend as well, and what people are calling one of the great owned goals from the ACC. Don't need the content at all the moment. There's so much going on NBC. All Blacks Warriors still going on, the Olympics.
Speaker 4: The biggest sporting event on the globe.
Speaker 1: Biggest sporting event in the world, and we decided, you know what, let's figure out who the greatest New Zealander of all timers in the middle of all of us as well, and then when the Warriors finished, when the All Blacks finish, when the Olympics finish, and we've got nothing to talk about sporting wise, we'll also not have this to talk about very timely. Lisa Carrington went up against Valerie Adams. I think that was actually Friday's matchup, and it was a landslide. Sixty nine percent of the votes come for Lisa Carrington. I think, you know, a large part of that is just the timing.
Speaker 4: She is also our greatest ever Olympian.
Speaker 1: She is our greatest of her Olympian even despite the fact that you know, she gets multiple opportunities each Olympic cycle, whereas a lot of other people only you just get the one medal that they can contend for such as the you know, such as the way the Olympic Games go. Actually on that at the pub on Friday, I think we stumbled onto something quite ingenious. Our pub lunch debate on Friday afternoon was if you had to boil the Olympics down to just the core events, what would they be?
Speaker 3: I think we picked eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was the simple Olympics. Yeah, there o Simpics, Yeah, the Ocempics. So we had can you run fast? Yes, one hundred meters? Can you run a long distance marathon? Can you jump high? Yep, high jump? Can you jump long? Yes, so the long jump. Can you hi a spear into an animal?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Can you throw yeah, so javelin Yeah, and that covers your shot put, your discus blah blah blah, just the one throw.
Speaker 4: And in the pool just one hundred meters freestyle.
Speaker 3: Can you swim fast? Yeah, that's right, So that's six.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then we.
Speaker 1: Had a few others. Are you strong so weightlifting? Weightlifting? There needed to be one sort of hand to hand combat, and we decided Greco Roman resently.
Speaker 4: See there's eight yeah, eight sports. And the idea was you just had to bring yourself. Yeah, no equipment no team, no, nothing is you and that's it. So you turn up to the track, we provide you with the spear. Yep, you will throw the same spear if you want. Yeah, totally. And then so it's it says you turn up, that's it your track and your track is conceivably.
Speaker 3: Compete in this eight game O Simpics naked.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: You want to do as the Greeks intended for you to do.
Speaker 1: And I think that they would recognize all of the sports as well, because you know, sometimes I look at the sailing and I'm like, if I showed that to the ancient Greeks, they would not recognize anything that's going on there.
Speaker 4: Don't get sat on the breakdancing then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, breakdancing, any of the I was watching the artistic rhythmic gymnastics or whatever, and yeah, very impressive, but I don't recognize it as a sport, like sure, very hard to do, but you know, so folding your laundry when it's dry.
Speaker 4: But I mean, terrible news for Reagan and breakdancing is that's the first and last time it'll be in the Olympic.
Speaker 3: We'll get to Reaga.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're going to do a full company ahead full deep.
Speaker 1: Dive on Reagan, but the greatest New Zealander of all time, Hill's Bears, came up over the weekend.
Speaker 4: She beat Paul Holmes.
Speaker 1: Paul, She beat Sir Paul by sixty three percent of the votes came in for Hill's Bears.
Speaker 3: Again, but a recency bias.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I know a lot of people saying this is a popularity contest, and they're right, that's exactly what this is. It's a popularity contest. I think a lot of people were upset about Paul Holmes being knocked out so early, being a legend of the of the genre. And again we're we're finding this issue where the difference in votes between the different mediums. On Facebook, I think a lot of people that don't follow the acc are seeing this.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, They'll be thinking this is the Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year which is running at the same time as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, one hundred percent they will be They'll be seeing this and be like, what is this all about? Yeah, So Facebook was all in favor of Paul Holmes, but unfortunately it was just overwhelmed on the old Instagram and then today's one Charlie up and beat Willy Upiata.
Speaker 4: That was yesterday Sunday, Yesterday's one. I think. I think that's good. I think even Willy aapiad would be happy about that.
Speaker 1: Charles Upham, I think double Victoria cross and bar. Yeah, you can't beat that. Today's quite controversial. Mister Whippie versus the four Square Guy is today's one for the Greatest New Zealander of all Time. A lot of allegations that mister Whippy is actually not a New Zealander and so should be exempt fired from the Greatest New Zealander of all time.
Speaker 4: One of the early results saying, I think it's heavily four square, wouldn't it.
Speaker 1: I believe it's the four Square guy in the lead so far. I'm just casting my across the comments. It only went up about five minutes ago. Absolutely no contest. Mister Whipe is from England. Four Square Guy, Charlie the four Squeak Guy, four Squad go, four Squeak Guy. This isn't tough mister Whippie hands down. I saw a comment on Instagram saying that you know, just the draw, like the draw power of mister Whippy should be worth more than anything else, because you know you hear mister Whippy's green sleeves playing everybody flocks from around the neighborhood tough battle. I don't have to four square guys the same magnesium as mister Whippy, who summoned street loads of kids and loose change everywhere he goes.
Speaker 4: So true.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but you can have your say on Instagram or on Facebook to decide that one was still going through the first round as well. There's so much of this left to come. Oh, greatest New Zealander of all time. All right, let's take a quick break because there's so much Olympic stuff to get through from across the weekends.
Speaker 3: So quick break. We'll be right back to talk Olympics.
Speaker 1: This has been Mike Lane, the most successful Olympics of all time as far as New Zealanders concerned. Ten gold, twenty medals in total. Can you name all of the gold medals that we've had so far?
Speaker 4: He started with the sevens, sevens of the four with the women's sevens, uh, and then I think it was was there some rowing, yes, the double scales, yes, okay, no particular order. And then I'm going to go through the rowing as well.
Speaker 3: It's just golds, just golds.
Speaker 4: I say, we've got the Lisa Carrington K two and K one yep, that's four. We've got Thinn, the Butcher yep, the kayak that's five. And then we've got Alisa Andrews and the team sprint. Yes and no, the Team Sprint won one silver. Okay, they won something and that was another team. Did she win two golds? She won to Andrews. Yes, okay, so that's and then Hamish Kerr in the high jump yep, Lydia Coe and the golf. That's it.
Speaker 3: How many how many numbers you got this?
Speaker 4: Jesus A lost count now, sorry, I was trying to bring up the thing in front of us. But there have been ten go through. So okay, So sevens sevens Women's double scales. Two to Lisa Carrington, one of the K two K one. This will teach me for not looking this up before the butcher came in here. Yeah, the Butcher two to Lisa Andrews, the Hamish Kurr and Lydia Co.
Speaker 1: Hamish kur Finn Butcher. We had three in the canoe, so the goat three times.
Speaker 3: That's probably where you.
Speaker 4: Ah, yes, she got three.
Speaker 1: One, two, three, the K four yeah, and the K two and the carent Yeah. Then we had the Alise Andrews and the Kieran then she won the omnium last night. Then we had the double skulls, the moms won the rowing and then the.
Speaker 3: Rugby sevens as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, and that'll get you to ten.
Speaker 1: And a massive weekend as well. We had a we had a huge night on Saturday night and.
Speaker 4: How how thankful were Scott Robinson b to Hamish Kerr, Lisa Carrington and Lydia Coe who just the golden shower over the Saturday completely and utterly took the spotlight of that result. We'll talk about a bit later. Yeah, so it was a great weekend and then finished off last night with another gold yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Hamish Kurr, the high jump man watching him obviously last week was the qualifiers and it got it made me sweat.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then it went to a jump off and they do it in reverse order, so they start off at whatever they got up to and then they come back down because obviously the fellow's getting pretty fatigued. It was him against the American dude. Thank god they knocked their katari Doucheberg out.
Speaker 4: And the Italian doucheberg think they shared it last time. But I love Hamish Kirk because they could have shared the gold medal because they conferred and then they were like shook hands and said, nah, we're jumping off with this motherfucker. Yeah, And I love that because the pussies last time, the Italian and the Katari. Yeah took the thirty cent, took the cowards with fifty percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And I loved his celebration. I mean, the only thing that would have completed it as if a javelin had just whistled past his ear and he ran out into the outfield arms outstretched.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was great. God bless him. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I felt bad for the I was watching the camera crew waddle off after him. I was like, oh, shit, is he gonna run out there?
Speaker 4: Shit.
Speaker 1: By the time they had all run out there, he turned around and ran back over to the side and hugged his team, And god, I just did not see that coming at all.
Speaker 4: I love such a hardstop of Hamish Curt Yeah, and he I loved it. The celebrations. They said, I'll explaining celebrations, he goes. I just took off I didn't even know what the crowd with cheering or not, like, I was just completely lost in the moment.
Speaker 1: Just so fizzed fucking everything I've ever worked for. But he would like when he cleared the bar, he cleared it by like ten fifteen centimeters, and then he would miss it, you know, like two times in a row, and the qualification just about fucking gave me a stroke as he was like he ran up dove head first underneath the bar, then the next time he hit it with his back, then the third one he cleared it by fucking thirty centimeters. Then gets into the final tells they guy to get fucked, We're going to the death on this one. We're not splitting anything, and he went for it.
Speaker 3: It was. It was tremendous.
Speaker 1: So was watching Lisa Carrington ah Man, watch her and you think go again, totally so far ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the Hungarian who came second, whole yeah guns show, she had the gun shows like they was.
Speaker 3: I was like, holy shit, Yeah, she was terrifying.
Speaker 1: And actually it was the first time that I've been nervous for Lisa Carrington race because you know, usually with the first stroke of her paddle she's gone and they don't catch her again. But this other girl was right there with her right up until two hunred and fifty meters and then it was just see you, see you later. It's time to say goodbye. Yeah. She emotionless after she won as well, like you know, everyone else is bawling their eyes out. I feel like there was there's an amount of like relief foremost for Lisa Carrington.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so much expectations. Yeah, She's like, I think they're three more goals. And then lydia Co Yeah, man, she has ice in her veins. Man. Yeah, she was like you could tell. I saw her play the first three or four holes, yeah, and I was like, she's definitely got this because yeah, she was sharing the lead with this young Swiss golfer who eat like had in their third round, did two eagles in the first nine. She was on fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, first t sprayed it into the lit straight into the water game.
Speaker 4: I knew that would happen. And then lydia Co stood up, just sent it down the middle with an iron or something and then just plopped done. And I was and then the second hole rescued the path three. Yeah, and I was like and just did not look faced. Nah one BT, And I was like, yes, because I fucking love how she beat Nelly quarter because that's all the commentators could bang on about, was Nelly Carter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, OKAYU.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I like that too because then it also forced the other girl that she was playing with had to try and because there's a really awkward first hole, the f that lay up on all you can go super aggressive and try and cut the corner. So the other girl that tried to cut the corner just lands it in the rough and Lydia Co just played the most boring round of golf you've ever said in your life and just came in what was it eleven or twelve under? Yeah, the last one was she only needed she had two puts in hand to win. It burdied it, birdied it get far and then she won and then she was boiling her eyes out, and I was thinking, for a woman who has won everything, she's now what they're saying, the youngest woman to qualify for the Hall of Fame. Yes, I think it has to go to a vote yet, but she's met all of the standards.
Speaker 4: She's won everything. Yeah, there's nothing she hasn't done.
Speaker 1: She's completed the rainbow in terms of metals as well, so she's done absolutely everything.
Speaker 3: She's boiling her eyes out of it's so much to her.
Speaker 4: And she said turn around and said out, that's my last Olympics. I'm like, you only twenty nine or twenty seven, twenty seven, It's like you got me thirty one, go to LA.
Speaker 1: She's going to retire before she's thirty. She's been saying that her whole career is like, I don't want to be playing this after I'm thirty. Yeah, good on here, she's someone effect checked me. Actually shout out to the fact chicker's out there. Some affect checked me on. She's checked up with some really rich dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think it's the Korean Samsung family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something like that. So it's not a it's not a money thing. She's now ticked absolutely everything off. I noticed she was shaking hands with one of the other athletes she was playing against. She has the Olympic rowing on the inside of her bicep. Where would you put it if you got the Olympic rings?
Speaker 4: Ah, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: I feel like when going for the forearm is I want everyone to know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw Zoe Hobbs get one and she hit it kind of up here. Yeah, tiny one on the kind of bicep.
Speaker 1: Inside of the elbow bicep sort of situation.
Speaker 4: Like I'm certainly not getting it on my chest. No, I might get it on my inside thigh.
Speaker 1: Oh, just a little personal one for you. When you're sitting down and go number two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. When I'm doing poo's and I'm on my phone, I look down and go, yeah, remember that time I went to the Olympics and lift and snatched sixty kg's and the woman's under forty nine kg.
Speaker 1: I've just become aware that we should have put that on the on the line. If you can't lift it, you should have to get the Olympic rings tattooed on you somewhere, and if you can, I'll get it. I've always wanted to get the Olympic rings, just for no reason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I just people go, oh my god, have you been to the Olympics. Yeah, nah, nah, you can just get whatever tattoo you want. I think you should get the Narl logo tattooed on you, and you can.
Speaker 3: But that's not really a thing thing. It's not that people have should make.
Speaker 4: It the thing though, And so when you know, when you're old and you know you're an old coddo and the grandson comes up and you what's that about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I played for the n R l oh because no one else has got that tattoo. How did you do that? That's what I like about the Olympic rings on it. It's like, you know, anyone could just do it. You know, there's no.
Speaker 4: Like they've got a tattooist in the village.
Speaker 3: I'll do that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So that's where Zoe hobswheat and got here's done with her Aussie mate.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Right, so they got they're ready to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then last night overnight Alise Andrews one and the Omnium, which is the one where they do four different races, all various different you know, techniques and tactics. It's all very confusing, but basically she simplified it just by riding her bikeway fucking faster than anyone else. And the thing I loved about the way that she won, particularly the the heads heads last night, she was just steering down the person that she was riding against from the get go, and it was like it looked like. I don't know if you've ever seen that photo of like a leopard holding a baby deer by the nick, That's what Alex Andrews looked like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she was saying something to her competitor.
Speaker 1: I don't know if her competitor spoke English or not, but she I would love to know what she was saying to her. It's like, you know, do you know how fucked you are right now?
Speaker 4: Just go full Mitchell Stark on it. Yeah, you've just lost your country.
Speaker 1: You will never beat when another Olympic medal again. You might get silver here, but this is about it.
Speaker 4: I still don't stand half the velodrome games, you know, the different omniums and the criterions and the yeah and a little motorbike.
Speaker 1: Can I understand that the thing that throws a lot of people off is how slow they go to start, Like when it's just the head to head one, it's like, you only have to go faster than them. There's no point just shooting off and buggering yourself and then they chase you down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the pursuit one. I understand that one. And it's two people. Whoever wins wins. I get that, and I think it was best explained by my seven year old son this morning and he wake out and goes, dad, we won a gold And I said what on? He goes the cycling round in circles O good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My favorite one of those is the elimination race. So that's like everyone starts together and then after a certain amount of laps I don't know how many it is. After each lapse, whoever's at that at the end they have to drop off and so you keep going until there's only one person left.
Speaker 4: So it's like a Royal rumble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Royal rumble on the on the velodrome. That one's quite cool. Yeah, I don't mind that one. So yeah, ker I jump on. Then Ali Williston and the you want to see the omnium as well.
Speaker 4: Did you get down silver? I think silver?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, there was silver.
Speaker 4: We got heaps of silvers. We've only got like three bronze.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Very disappointing, not like us at all.
Speaker 4: And David LITTI to in the week over. In the weekend, I think he came maybe tenth in the weightlifting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he said a new PB for himself as well, which is always good. To see and just fearsome weights that they're lifting over there.
Speaker 4: Terrifying.
Speaker 3: It would be, yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Would be absolutely terrifying. You constantly look. I guess they must train for it. But we were watching it at the pub on front and it's just the most like you're just wincing the whole time you're watching.
Speaker 4: It's the one where they drop it over the back of the neck and then slip out from underneath it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, regular out from underneath. But I think the highlight of everyone's weekend at the Olympics was Ray Gun, the thirty six year old Australian professor who competed competed at the breakdancing. As I said before, we will not be seeing breakdancing again at the Olympics. I really think that whoever I'll saying this in office this morning, whoever had been campaigning for the Olympics for breakdancing to be in the Olympics, must have been like, guys, we have to nail this because everybody thinks it's a joke that it shouldn't be in here, So we have to just come out and fucking bring it and get everyone on side and be like, wow, breakdancing is awesome. And then she would have been they would have been watching our girl Raygun come out as with a fuck yeah, we're probably not going to be back to the next Olympics.
Speaker 4: So it was tough. But everyone, everyone on Instagram or Facebook or any social media platform in the past couple of years has probably seen some fucking badass nine year old kid head spinning like whipping a hurricane so fast you can't even see them in a bee boy kind of big Gill battle yea, and thinking fuck, there's gonna be some mean dances at the Olympics. Yeah, and then it seemed like a community event. Yeah, it did. It did when the winter sucked. Sorry. Yeah, even the winner didn't blow my mind. I want I want like proper dancing, like breakdancing with headspins and flips and shit where you go, holy shit, how can you actually do that? Instead, there was lots of running around in circles kind of doing weird shit.
Speaker 3: It's because they put like these.
Speaker 1: I watched a video of her explaining how it was judged and blah blahlah. It was like the Christian rock of the breakdancings, Like it didn't make Christianity kill you made rock shit and Olympic breakdancing didn't make the Olympics kill.
Speaker 3: It made breakdancing shit.
Speaker 1: And I think what I hate though, is that there's also been this backlash of people being like, well, you couldn't do any better?
Speaker 4: I reckon, I could, I fucking shit you not like put down the under forty nine kgs I reckon my stomp clamp clap at a fucking nightclub would would have got at least a point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other part of it is like, even if I couldn't have done it better, you can't tell me that there isn't another woman in Australia.
Speaker 4: Who couldn't have done it better. You know, there would have been a hundred of them.
Speaker 1: You got to go down to some inner city suburban Sydney, you'd be able to find ten people off the street that could have done better than that.
Speaker 4: We saw a hundred people in the closing ceremony who are better answers than Reagan. It was the hopping of it.
Speaker 1: It was the kangaroo, and you know when she did that, she thought, I've really done something here. I've paid honor to our past prison and emerging elders by doing the thing.
Speaker 4: And then the demented, kind of sideways, worm on the ground, dog with worms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, shout out to Reagan.
Speaker 4: The track suit, just the track suit, the do rag.
Speaker 1: It was just so Kath and Kim who's had a bigger Olympics her or the Turkey shooting dude.
Speaker 4: A Turkish shooting guy actually won a medal, he came, he got a silver. So I think that in terms of actual LeVert social media don't be even actually, because the Turkish guy went pretty big.
Speaker 1: He probably it doesn't seem like he'd give a shit that he has.
Speaker 4: Though I'm gonna say this, and I said it this morning on Radio Hadaki. I think their performance from show from Raygan Raygan, not Showgun Reygun, that cancels out all of Australia's eighteen gold medals. Zero's it. She has basically zeroed their their med medal tally and put us into the into the top ten because we're eleven, so Australia are out after that, and when we're now now ten, so.
Speaker 1: All of tipmosus Gould's taken off her because of that Raygun shout out to her. That was just I thought I spent the whole weekend being like that's a past take right like she this is a I thought it was like if Chris Lily intoed the you know, Chris Lily would have got at least a few points. I thought for sure that that's what it was. But no, it wasn't look at its best. It was cultural appropriation and it's worst.
Speaker 3: That was racist.
Speaker 1: What happened there at the breakdowns there at the Olympics. But we won't have to watch it again. Other sports that happened across the weekend, the Warriors played.
Speaker 3: I can't even remember what happened there.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it with I'll talk about it with Early on the Mad Monday podcast later on today. But the All Blacks played on Saturday night and they lost thirty eight points to thirty What the fuck?
Speaker 3: What happened? Do you know what commentated it?
Speaker 4: I commentated it first half I thought was good. I think they almost had it under control well five minutes before halftime. Anyway, the line out was looking great. Sam Dowry, what a game he was heading. Darius Rutgers, Darius Ruckers scored, scored his first try, scored. The first try was amazing in the line and the line out looked awesome.
Speaker 1: Can we just say, also, we'd said on the a SEC Sports book on Friday, Sam Darry was the most back for try score, and we're like, what do people know that we don't. Yeah, sure enough boom TP would have lost a lot of money off that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they would have, but they probably would have made it back on the fact that Argentina won. But then the second half and then our bench, our bench wasn't great. Our bench unfortunately wasn't great. Poor side ted he didn't have a good one. They brought on Josh Lord I suffer. Amo's first throw was so wide. Then the calling was all out and it was look. I mean, if you're a rugby fan, it was a good game, thirty eight points to thirty. It was non stop into win kind of stuff, but quite frustrating to be as an All Blacks fan. Yeah, to see and the pass back from Addie Severe that miss target and then McKenzie's missed body and then it was.
Speaker 1: Sivy Russ tap back that resulted in a try toga.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a bit going on there.
Speaker 1: And I would have liked to have watched that game and not been an All Black supporter because for me, I felt like the whole time Oh, we're gonna win this. We're gonna win this. We're only down by two, you know, we kick a penalty here, blah blah blah. But I think it was way tighter than that. And if you were rooting against the All Blacks, that would have been all some game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and got on paying seven bucks Argentina to win that, and they did it. They closed it out. They gobbled some clock at the ind there. It was like a rugby league game. You know when rugby league they take the tackle and then everyone had the tackle. They did that for the last minute. It was pretty hilarious. Yeah, and won the penalty and they kicked it out and had a party.
Speaker 1: It was pretty brutal because at a certain point I had to flick through. I think a lot of people would have to go from the All Blecks over to Lisa Carrington, one of her. I think it was so qualified. No, no, that was the medal race. And then came back and I was just like, oh fuck. I really thought, and I'd flick back, we'd be winning again and we weren't.
Speaker 3: Yeah Jesus.
Speaker 4: And then there was a marathon at the same time. A lot of people left at halftime to watch marathon and Olympics sinking arts and it's all over.
Speaker 1: I left to watch the marathon. I heard someone this morning at the gym I go quite often, was saying, Hey, did you see the marathon last night, and the other person said, nah, it didn't And I was going to say, what is your.
Speaker 3: Follow up to that question?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: They ran for fucking ages.
Speaker 4: No, the woman's one was quite close. It was a sprint to the finish and the chicky one from Netherlands that came around the corner gave her an elbow, so there was an argie bargie one hundred meters to go, so that's that. The finish was actually quite exciting about women's marathons.
Speaker 3: He could have skipped the first forty totally.
Speaker 4: Last two hundred meters was the most exciting. A little bit of developments to around our commentary. So we're on sky Sports Select, not Skysport nine. Skysport nine is our spiritual home. That's where we always are. It's relatively hard to find. You got to put your adult code in because of the Olympics, they took up all those channels, so they moved us to SkySports Select, which is channel fifty and it's before Skysport one, and so it's like a pop up kind of channel. However, they put us on that. However, they played the South Africa Australia test on sky Sports Select before us, so you could imagine most bars or sports bars, most you knows and everything who just want to watch a bit of code and want to watch you know. So Afgar Australia had it on and followed through to our coverage. So we got a lot of feedback from people who were absolutely outraged at the quality of the commentary. We had two messages who were disgusted in our use of taking the lord's name in vain too and a message into the website, Oh my god, because I think Matt He said Jesus Christ and that's him. And that's when we thought something's a bit wrong here, something is a little bit offended you. Yeah, that offended you. Plus we had all our alarms going off, sexism and downstairs content and whatever. So it's going to be interesting to see what the blowback of that is. We did tell people at the start, this is not the main coverage, go to Skuysport one, this is the alternative commentary. And I said that probably four or five times in the herd staff, but still right up until the end of the match, texts were coming in breaking down everything that we did that was wrong, around using players' names differently, yeah, being stupid, not taking it seriously, just commentate the game, yeah, all that. And I was like, something's not right. And then I got a message from someone who was at the caketin and it was on all the corporate boxes on their TVs in the corporate box brilliant. And then I was in christ Church and I caught a taxi with this old guy is quizzing us about what we do. And it was Heath and I and we were like, oh, we do sports commentary whatever. I go, did you the Rugby last night? So yeah, he goes, do you guys hear those bloody clowns on sky Sport? And we were like the alternative fine, and he goes yeah, and he goes that's us and he goes, ah lowns, Like how did you end up on it? He goes, oh, I was around at the club and I was like at the christ Church club whatever, and it was like always old biddies there. We're like, what the hell is this? And they were livid. They had to go to the bar and they had change the channels, and I was like, oh shit, so there's going to be some blowback around there.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At the same time, I saw the text shed and there were other people being like Jesus so bored. Since you guys got canceled, you can't have it birth.
Speaker 4: On the plus side, there was a lot of people who are like, wow, maybe this commentary before It's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, didn't help us in the end, thirty eight thirty it was very disappointing.
Speaker 3: Do we break?
Speaker 4: Do we do?
Speaker 3: We have to sack Brazier now?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Gone, I think you have to. We've been calling for Fozzy's head for so long, we now need to.
Speaker 4: I think he described Scott Robinson the bass. He's got a resting meth face.
Speaker 3: It does he what but back?
Speaker 4: What are welcome? Welcome, Welcome to the hot seat, Scott Robinson. He squeaks through, squeaks past England, England beats Fiji and a kind of a nothing thing and then loses to Argentina. This is this is squeaky.
Speaker 3: Bums on totally. Yeah, bring back Fuzzy.
Speaker 1: All right, We're gonna take one more quick air break we'll come back with yours please, yours.
Speaker 2: Please, brought you by Leader home of.
Speaker 1: The five of them to get through, so there were plenty across the weekend. A lot of them said more or less the same things, and there were a lot that were just like people just would hit the record buttons after the All Black sil the Warriors loss, so we've had to boil them down at the first one goes like that's yours, Burtsee fella, is a beautiful day here in, said Canterbury Sunday morning.
Speaker 10: After the lost.
Speaker 4: Not to worry about the loss, but buck me that crowd.
Speaker 10: That was a sporting so one.
Speaker 6: I'm producing this.
Speaker 8: They're all rugby class through the ind of the year tour.
Speaker 11: To Wellington, so we picked that plays out like we are.
Speaker 10: And then also we just mantle Wellington.
Speaker 4: We're playing on taking exciting. They did not the servous, so we'll be taking that back tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Maybe they're called stuff from the Papa and maybe someone can take the behime.
Speaker 4: Russell, Yeah no, do you know what I did say it on the commentary and it was really staying to piss me off last ten minutes of that match, just when your home crowd needs to lift you up. Yeah, they were playing a Vichy and no, and then they played a vech he did and I was like, what the fuck man? And then they played exponents even though I'm blue or whatever, and I'm like, oh my god, god, what the fuck? Like that crowd should be just getting behind the all blacks, like supporting them last ten minutes. You can do it, and steered we get punished with a VICI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people try and get something going in the crowd and then as soon as there is a break and play, you just get punished.
Speaker 4: What stage is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know it. It drives me insane. I mean, but again, they had the old They've got the Judas stand and the caked and where they put the cameras on one side and so it looks like the crowd is full and if they ever cut to the Judas shot that betrays them. They turned back around the other side and half the stadium is just fucking empty.
Speaker 3: We at Wellington, what's gone on?
Speaker 4: Everyone's saying that, you know, they're going through tough times. A lot of the public service are either being fired or under review.
Speaker 3: That's a great point.
Speaker 4: That only takes thirty thousand people that stadium. Yeah, there's a lot of people that live in the wider Wellington region. Yeah, okay, that's not a big stadium to fill.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And if you're telling me you can't fill it because people are worried about their and their jobs?
Speaker 1: What how many of them when in the public service? Up a million well as Wellington, I suppose, but I completely agree. Dismantle the whole place. I've never liked Wellington as a city. Take the Caketon back back down to tomorrow. It's basically not in Wellington anyway.
Speaker 4: I love how that suggestion is to basically loot Wellington and just storm it. Looter it. I like the idea of the India tour though, because he's end of club. Rugby is always around the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's now yeah yeah, and a.
Speaker 4: Test match it should be. They should just exclusively sell tickets to clubs and around New Zealand to.
Speaker 1: Give them to them. Yeah, aren't they part of the same rugby union. Isn't that what the whole silver Lake thing was about?
Speaker 4: Who knows?
Speaker 1: This is the way that you could repay them without actually having to spend ascent. Just give them the tickets to the game. You're not selling them anyway. Evidently it'll be like the Sevens. It'd be amazing. Yeah, and for that reason it will never happen. Another caller here, you're.
Speaker 4: Spose, hey, fellas.
Speaker 5: After that rugby result, I reckon we made a wee mistake not letting Razor take some time off to go break dance for us at the Olympics. I think that would have been great to see him come home with a Kiwi gold.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Hohoru would have put us in the top ten.
Speaker 4: Ah would have beaten Ygan, it's for sure, but even Richie Muwang is worm that would have been quite a quite a slight.
Speaker 1: Well, Richie actually upstaged Razor after the last title there. I think that the next time we play the Wallabies, they should because they're always complaining that the hucker gives us an unfair advantage because it jesus.
Speaker 3: Up too much.
Speaker 1: We'll go on there, bring Raygun out and she can face the hucker.
Speaker 4: Fuck. That'll be funny. If I don't think the All Blacks would be able to keep it together. No, if if the All Blacks where like t J. Pittinada is full full flow on the intro out comes, Raygan and how it's around like a kangaroo. You can't tell me the front rower of that Harker aren't pissing themselves.
Speaker 1: It'd be the biggest disruption to the Hucker since England did that big semi reverse semi circle thing in twenty nineteen. It would be the biggest innovation. And they need to hide her. She's already in a tracks so she looks like one of the fizziers anyway. Just have her behind the team and just as we get full into it, they part and then here comes.
Speaker 3: Raygun.
Speaker 4: Just given it heaps, she's got to lean into it. Yeah, she has to lean into this fame.
Speaker 1: I think if Australian rugby are serious about getting themselves back on track before hosting the World Cup, they need to bring Raygun out to face the Huker.
Speaker 4: Well, Australia have the Olympics in thirty two, so she needs to light the flame.
Speaker 1: There's a lot on her shoulders. Oh yeah, she needs to light the flame. Bring her out with the fucking thing. There's a lot resting on their shoulders over there in Australia if they need to, if they want to take themselves seriously as a sporting nation, and Reagan needs to face the huker. I think is what we've settled on there. Another caller here, your spleece.
Speaker 5: Whoever had the idea for punch him ups at Golden Point?
Speaker 3: I vote yes.
Speaker 1: Andrew Rebson want to spark that old geezer we were saying in the commentary, and again we'll talk about it on the Mad Monday podcast out later on this afternoon. Wayne Bennett wasn't even looking in the right direction for most of that game. The ball will be down one end, he's just looking down the other end. Someone would be like, oh, Wayne, Wayne, they've scored, have they?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: And someone sent that through as a voicemail a few weeks ago, maybe a couple of months ago. Instead of golden points, should just be dust up between the coaches. Yeah, and I think we would have had that, you Reckon, I just pure anger.
Speaker 4: I think he's got old man's strength, Wayne Bennett. You know old man's strength.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think there's a point of diminishing returns for old man's strength, and I feel like Wayne might be on the other side of that. But yeah, no, I would have loved to have said it. Another caller here, you're spleece.
Speaker 11: Hey fellas, So yeah, I've got the news about alex porton today and you know I'm not mad. I'm fucking furious.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 11: This is the fucking divorce of New Zealand football and you all have to decide. Are you going to stick with Soul of the Earth, good old old Phoenix, You're gonna go off with mum and a hot new boyfriend bull Fowley. You have to decide. You have to fucking decide today. This is a divorce. It's over. That is a declaration of war. You can't take Porthan, you can't do that.
Speaker 4: And ah, I'm going with mum. Yeah, I'm going with mum and her new boyfriend in the flashouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah he yes, you call the prisons from him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm going to AFC. He said he's gonna buy me a new car, is he? Yeah? Yeah yeah, so no I'm all alone with AFC. Like that's a great move.
Speaker 1: So if you're not familiar with what's happened, here's my understanding of it. They he signed with the Bournemouth over in the UK and they're like whoa Premier League and then they own or they have partnership worth.
Speaker 4: No it's the same dude. Bill Foley owns the whole lot, He owns the Golden Knights in Las Vegas. He owned Bournemouth and he owns Auckland f C.
Speaker 1: So do you think that he knew that when he signed that dude?
Speaker 3: To me, I'm sure he did.
Speaker 4: They said they're going to sign a Bournemouth but as part of the whole deal will probably send you down to Oakland f C for the first season and back to Bournemouth's great. I like the people give you this.
Speaker 3: See this is authentic rivalry.
Speaker 4: It's great and I love it. And the Auckland f C fans they're calling themselves the Port. They are going to all their warm up games and leading off flares at club games and stuff. It's why the port. I don't know Oakland City Port. I don't know. There's one end of the ground they're calling the port. They calling themselves the port supporters. I don't know. It's good. It's fans generated as neither to do with the Aakland f C. Which which is that's when it gets unstuck when you have the mad Caps or some they Yeah, they're all leading off. I saw footage of their one of the warm up games and they got like, there's only about fifty of them, but they're at a warm up game and they've got four or five flares and the whole field is covered and smart, and I was like, yes, this is what I'm talking about. And they keep sending and scendry messages to the Phoenix as well, which is good. And this is even better. It's getting their best player, their keeper and going fuck you signed a Bournemouth loaned them back to Orprom theF seat.
Speaker 1: If they keep a clean sheet in that first rby match, hilarious, it's going to I can't wait.
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: I'm starting to get on board to one more call your spurs, just on the.
Speaker 6: Olympic events that maybe we could compete at. I was just watching woman's under fifty three kg wrestling. I'm at about one hundred and twenty kg's. I'd like to see a fifty one year kg woman try and body slam me. Big tought to sort out. But yeah, I'm sure you guys can figure a way out to get me to fight her.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: Wrestle. I don't know though, I don't know. Definitely not because they are quite strong and it's technique wise. They will get me in like some sort of headline and I'll pass out. I don't know if oh you yeah, I think everyone agrees on that. But the one hundred and twenty kilo guy, that's a different thing. I think even more so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that'd use your weight against you. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also just think the fitness level it bargers you to wrestle, like even if you're like wrestling with you know, your nieces and nephews or something, your fucking dog on the lawn, and then to get tossed across the room by a fifty three kilo woman, he's like, I need out. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever set that up because if you won that there's issues at least the footage.
Speaker 3: But yeah, all right, we're gonna park it there for today. We'll be back tomorrow with a Tuesday edition.
Speaker 1: I think we may have Laura McGoldrick on the show tomorrow for a massive announcement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well they've got announced on Friday. Then we're bringing back Game of Two Halves, the show that made famous by Mark Allis and Matthew Rinch. Couldn't get them back, Nah, I couldn't get them back. I mean, look if you look at some of the old shows of that and I never cut the mustard these days as.
Speaker 1: Opposed to what we do, which also which just flies straight under the radar.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean that'll be the first bit of feedback is where's Richie, where's jealous? But it's a different take on it. It's slightly different take on it. Doing it with Sky so to be on Sky Sport and sky Open kicks off in September and Lasa Lasa Magazza. She'll be the host of the show and we'll be flicking in and out as panelists. Matt Heath in there, Di Henwrid yourself, Ben Hurley. So yeah, it'll be it'll be good. But we'll have a chat to Laza to see how she's what she's planning on doing.
Speaker 1: If she's enjoying, enjoying the last few weeks of her media career before she gets some broad in a cancelation with the alternative commentary Collective. All right, just before we go, our good friends upstairs at gold Sport have been commentating the Olympics for the last two weeks.
Speaker 3: Not long enough for two weeks, I think, and look.
Speaker 4: God bless them. It's the worst hours ever. I mentioned that we had six days of the World Tiest Championship overnight. These guys have done two solid weeks commentating from seven at night till six in the morning. That is hard, Yeah, that is hard. So we've got a compilation of every every award winning moment, Yeah we do. We've got a good three minute slog here. So we'll leave you with this.
Speaker 1: These are the highlights from the twenty twenty four Paris Olympics.
Speaker 3: Gone too soon.
Speaker 4: We'll see you on Tuesday for another episode of the Gender Podcast.
Speaker 12: Sure Devils, it's stuff there and picking it at the touch and New Zealands go back to black gold men again they're supreme.
Speaker 4: Seven side wins golds.
Speaker 10: It is heartbreaking trade and wilds. But Alex Ye has listed to about three hundred meters to win gold in the men's triathlon in Olympic record time.
Speaker 4: We're underway in the women's sport.
Speaker 12: Coming down to the line, it's Benevolands, great president and the New Zealand bronze middle gold beckons for the New Zealand women's double skulls. Down to the line, that's gold, gold for New Zealand.
Speaker 4: They're almost bout about now.
Speaker 12: The USA coming down to the line in first position. Gold goes to US silver.
Speaker 8: New Zealand. It's Isaac McCarty and Will McKenzie crossing for third in this race, but that means silver the New Zealands. On the coast of Marside.
Speaker 12: We're underway in the women's single skulls final. Caroline Floraine of the Netherlands gets the gold medal. New Zealands, in a tweak gets silver.
Speaker 10: Men's kayak cross final.
Speaker 7: They plunge in and the gold medal is his Finn.
Speaker 10: Butcher is an Olympic Shepionian.
Speaker 7: The women's team sprints at the Paris of Velodrome, Great Britain.
Speaker 4: The gold milan New Zealand just slightly.
Speaker 7: Behind for the Los Andrews, but they take the silver medal. Women's team pursuit the fowl, the Americans coming down to the line and the United States take the win.
Speaker 4: New Zealand haul back towards the end.
Speaker 7: It was only point six of a second in the end, but it's swer for New Zealand nonetheless.
Speaker 8: And there it is Michael Wilkinson Erica Dawson cross the line a bronze for Wilkinson En Dawson.
Speaker 4: Ready to race in the women's kayak four.
Speaker 12: They can't see the finished line. It is gold for New Zealand and the sixth Golden Moments for Dame Lisa, New Zealand's most to decorated Olympian. Lisa Carrington strikes gold again.
Speaker 4: The women's Karen final.
Speaker 7: Can Alise Andrews hold as she comes down towards the finishing line. Elise Andrews on the line, it looks like she's won gold. Alease Andrews intense, incisive, infitncible and we're ready to fly in the women's kayak double five hundred.
Speaker 12: What an incredible achievement. They are six meters ahead. Carrington and Hoskin are both link for half fleetlu Zealand.
Speaker 13: Gold Many Wishy win silver in the women's shot put and she is New Zealand's news shot put queen on the podium, shot medics silver for you Carrington.
Speaker 12: Coming down to the line, it is gonna be.
Speaker 10: Gold of Golden Globe for Lydia cob And at top of the podium in Paris, Cheway's.
Speaker 13: Can't fly and himus Ka this high jump Olympic champion and Lakes.
Speaker 9: Andrews is a double gold enlist in Paris. She completes her own after three off. Ellie Wallaston is elated She's picked up the bron Ellie Wallaston has run a superbly technical race.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Accs, a gender podcast brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes like can follow on iHeartRadio for William you get your podcast