Speaker 1: Life from the Export Beer Garden Studio and brought to you by Export Ultra of the Bear for Here. This is the Agenda Podcast for July the twenty fifth.
Speaker 2: The Agenda Podcast, the home of Sporting Nonsense and clap Trap, brought to you by Next Sport of Culture.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Lane, morning, Good. Actually, I'm good.
Speaker 4: I'm coming out the back of a pseudo bender.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, he's still running the pseudo absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, it's good. I'm good.
Speaker 4: I'm just waiting for the crash. It'll come eventually. Yeah, but that like any kind of drug fueled bender that eventually comes to an end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the all the chickens come home to roost.
Speaker 4: Speaking of which, Matthew Ridge come out on a podcast and admitted to his meth and fetamine use for two years, which shocks no one who lives in Auckland and has frequented Ponsonby Road during the kind of early two thousands. In two thousands, when Matthew Ridge was often spotted biking up and down pons B Road on his BMX shirtless with white headphones bluetooth headphones on and weaving between diners and cars at an extreme angle.
Speaker 3: And it was obvious.
Speaker 4: Then he was on the glass barbie on the Yeah, he was on the glass barbie.
Speaker 3: Everyone knews.
Speaker 4: It was a very myth related behavior. And he's come out in the potty and said that he did it, and he finally gave up when he saw himself on TV looking gaunt, and that has surprised no one.
Speaker 1: Nah, I'd like to think that there's someone who's opened and it would have been an actual newspaper and minute.
Speaker 3: What yet he played for the Warriors.
Speaker 4: Anyone who sat outside SPQR during the two thousands would.
Speaker 1: Have been if you were a sales rep in Auckland, Yes, and the two thousands totally.
Speaker 3: You would have known exactly what was going on there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some of the least surprising news, some more surprising news. We are apparently some sort of reputable sporting outlet. We told you some people are taking what we say into these microphones in this studio as fact.
Speaker 4: Well, we always said with sports adjacent, okay, so it's not whatever we say. And obviously we've got fact checkers out there, so we have to Yeah, you know, correct us, but we don't fact check.
Speaker 3: No, we'll look at shit.
Speaker 1: So don't come to us and expect to know, expect us to know actually anything about it. I was walking into the toilets yesterday. I was literally hand one hand on the door, about to open the bathroom door, and I was accosted by a journalist who shall remain nameless, but I'm sure he'll listen to it so he knows who he is. And he said, hey, I've gotten I've gotten approached about you guys twice this week.
Speaker 3: I was like, why what do we do? I forget?
Speaker 1: The one of them was about Artie Savier was I remember that are now? The first one was last week and we said Artie Savea is allegedly transferring to miner PACIFICA.
Speaker 3: We should have said reportedly. What's the difference. I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's why, that's why we are sports adjacent but all but.
Speaker 3: I would also say he fucking did you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So anyway, yeah, we need to learn the difference between allegedly and reportedly. The other one was I thought, allegedly get away to anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I say, there's allegations that allegedly Manaia Stuart shared his pants yesterday, and you can turn and say, no, I didn't I was.
Speaker 3: I was only allegedly. Yeah, that's right. I didn't say you did. That's allegedly why I say it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got reported.
Speaker 3: Well, that's reportedly.
Speaker 4: Why I say allegedly, I think reported more powerful than allegedly someone's reported on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. I'd like to think that it was real.
Speaker 4: Someone reports that you shat your pants yesterday, like definitely shit your pants mania, but if someone alleges, yeah, I've been.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: The other thing we were alleged to have done was on whatever day it was last week, when I said that we're competing in the Champions Trophy, so it was called the Champions Trophy cricket. Yeah, I said it hadn't been contested since twenty fourteen. Now I was reporting that, but and my source was Tom Latham, who said, I think they haven't done it since twenty fourteen. I actually think it's been done in twenty seventeen or twenty sixteen or something. And yeah, that was the other thing that this journalist had been approached about.
Speaker 3: What's fucking ages ago. Let's bet that's it's ages ago. Yeah. My point was fucking ages ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm I'm fine with that twenty fourteen, twenty sixteen, get the vibe that the Champions Trophy hasn't been played in ages. Also, if you're if your source is us, yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: You've got some bigger problems. It's some issues going on.
Speaker 1: So, without any further ado, here's what may or may not have happened in the sporting world over the last forty eight hours.
Speaker 3: The Olympics. Yeah, we're about to say Olympics. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh, apparently we'll be Oh can you say Olympics in Zido? While in his Olympic Committee whatever have put an edict out saying that you can't. We can't post anything. Can say Amy Fisher wins gold in the kayaking allegedly and we put a post out saying great lay name for can't do it.
Speaker 3: We can't congratulate it.
Speaker 4: Nope, Nope, because that's us claiming the moment, and by us doing that automatically one hundred thousand people would subscribe to our podcast.
Speaker 3: And we would make millions.
Speaker 1: Oh and so we're taking the millions off the New Zealand Olympic Committee, who pay our athletes.
Speaker 3: Fuck all.
Speaker 4: I guarantee if we posted a congratulations post to Amy Fisher to Tom Walsh, we would get zero leverage and zero more listeners.
Speaker 3: You've been in our long meetings about this, haven't year.
Speaker 4: I have, and I've been arguing it constantly because some other podcasts just do whatever the fuck they want and nothing happens to them. But we seem to be under the microscope. I don't know why we're under the microscope for all sorts of things, but it's not.
Speaker 3: Going to fucking stop us, is it. I've seen Olympics, Olympics, Olympics, Olympics. There you go.
Speaker 1: You've also already congratulated Amy Fisher. She hasn't even competed yet. She will win the opening ceremony.
Speaker 3: Oh, she will win.
Speaker 4: She went by half a boat length over the goat in the boat. She'll get sill. It'll be a gold silver. It will be a golden shower all over Amy for sher. It'll be a golden shower all over Hayden Wild. And there's gonna be a golden shower all over the mate Hamish cure.
Speaker 1: Can we clip this for the commentator's curse montage for the end of the year.
Speaker 4: Don't just clip the Amy Fisher thing, Okay, because that's what some people would like to do.
Speaker 1: Is actually just just a part where you said Amy Fisher golden shower.
Speaker 3: Ye see we put that on social okay, and then it's just we go from the record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so actual sport that has happened. I'm not home reporting this. I'm not alleging this. The Olie Whites one two one over Guinea. Why we call them the Olli Whites doesn't make sense to me. I hate the way we name our teams. I've said this so many times. It's so confusing. And then on top of that, if you forget the name of a team, now you're being accused of not giving a shit about that sport. The sport, it's like, no, it's because everything's black, white, tall short.
Speaker 4: I don't mind the kind of the black white, kind of ferns whatever. I just want some consistency across the sport. Like all blacks. It should be all blacks men, all blacks women, not the black ferns. It should be black caps, men's black cats, whatever.
Speaker 3: Black fern men or whatever. Yeah, just choose one. It's a bit like the chiefs.
Speaker 4: Just just be the woman and men's chiefs, not the manua or you know, yeah, just roll with the actual franchise and have men and women.
Speaker 1: The reason why it's called the Oli Whites though, is because it's an under twenty three contest, so it's like another variation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, twenty threes. Yeah, just call it all Whites under twenty threes.
Speaker 3: The New Zealand men's football team that are no older than twenty three years old.
Speaker 4: Five of them, what's an olie was only the first player to play.
Speaker 1: You're gonna hate yourself when I tell you this Olympic fuck, but I just think that I hate particularly The most egregious one is the Tall Blacks and we send them over to play against the USA and we show up and we're just like it's African American, look yeah, and we show up and we're like, hey, this is our basketball seaven that it's like not that at all, not that blair, to be honest with ya, We've probably.
Speaker 3: Got more of them than you guys do.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's a bit like when the Black Cocks play badminton against Ken You.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently never actually their official nickname.
Speaker 4: I know, but it's just the fans adopted that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: The rugby sevens, the all Blacks sevens men's team.
Speaker 3: Yes, yep, that is what they called.
Speaker 4: Siege and just like just call the the Woman's seeing the All Blacks women's sevens team instead, we've got the White Fans women's seventh anyway.
Speaker 1: Anyway, they've won both their games, so the first one was a hiding. They beat Japan forty points to twelve. They then turned around and beat South Africa and nail by to seventeen fifteen. That means that they are already through to the quarter finals and we're still two days.
Speaker 3: Away from the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Yeah. It was a sneaky, wasn't it. It was like a pre.
Speaker 4: Olympics, you know, where they do it before the actual ceremony happens. Yeah, some stuff happens beforehand, it is. Yeah, it's a little bit before play with the sevens. In the football, Yeah, a little bit of leakage. Mainly to do with the team sports though, So it's yes, football and rugby.
Speaker 1: It's just because the things go on for so long. Yeah, And I've said for the longest time, I don't think any sports should be in the Olympics if it has a judge, except for boxing. Is the only exception because you can't just have these guys fight to the death. You have to but like, definitely, but you have to put like an artificial finish line in there. Yeah, but I don't think there should be dancing, and I mean break dancing is going to be what do.
Speaker 4: You do with gymnastics? That's a good more it is.
Speaker 3: The core of.
Speaker 4: The Olympics is watching some asshole face plant on the mat.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that there's definitely a part of the game plays in the game for that. But I just don't think a panel of who who knows gets to sit there and be like, yeah, that guy on just based on their opinion, you know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't like watching sports like that. I also don't think that team sports should be in the Olympics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like there's a lot of debate around that, but I mean, like the gymnastics, I've got to retire for that, particularly the horse you know, because there's a high risk that a guy is going to carstrate himself on those hand and the whipping themselves around like that. Yeah, that's probably my highlight of the Olympics. That's my highlight is just waiting for someone well to severely injure themselves.
Speaker 1: I believe that there are certain moves that have actually been outlawed by the Olympics and the gymnastics events. You know, the double bars with the lower one and the high one they flip around. I think there are a couple of moves that are actually banned because they're too dangerous. Which again, yeah, it's like, who are you to decide. It's like taking the shoulder charge at a rugby league. Well, you don't get to decide if these guys want to risk it, you know, yeah, let them do it, because I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: We want to see it. We all want to see it. So oh yeah.
Speaker 1: In the football, by the way, the A Againdinans played Morocco, yep, and the game was suspended, so they were Argentina were up two to one. There was supposed to be fifteen minutes of injury time, and in the sixteenth minute of injury time, Morocco scored a equalizer.
Speaker 3: Oh the Macarones.
Speaker 1: So the place when absolutely ape shit people were invading the pitch, blah blah blahlahlah, because then var come back and said he's actually been off side, and so they and so yeah, that's when people stormed the pitch. I believe they had to wait for two hours to clear the stadium. They then said, actually he was off side, so now we're going to come back and play an extra couple of minutes of injury times. They came back like two hours later. This game went for like four hours. Who won the eventually? Is it Argentina two one?
Speaker 4: Because quite a big Moroccan population in France, so that's probably what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, either way around, Morocco won. Oh oh oh, so that's what. Yeah, that's why the Moroccans invaded the pitch because Argentina had drawn level.
Speaker 3: Sorry allegedly, Oh.
Speaker 4: The beautiful game on a beautiful game is it's a kind of shit that only happens in cricket. And also, I didn't notice that the Israeli football team women's football team had like an armed escort to their stadium. The anthem was booed, Yeah, it was all all go.
Speaker 3: I thought their army would have been pretty busy at the moment. Their friends had to the friend had to stump up.
Speaker 1: Speaking of drone strokes, there is in a drone spying scandal. This has been the biggest headline of the Olympics.
Speaker 3: So far.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, I mean so if you're not across it, what happened is our football ferns. I'm sure they called the Oliferns or something stupid like that. They're over there, they are training and they're playing Canada actually tomorrow or overnight tonight, out time.
Speaker 4: That's a good question. Is the women's team under twenty three or is it full strength?
Speaker 3: Oh? I don't know. A better sports podcast would know that. I think it's full strength.
Speaker 1: A New Zealand hero journalist to be accosted about this, but I don't know. Well, I think Adam's gonna do some research. You go ahead, Yes, So what it happened was they were training and they spied a drone hovering over their practice facility. The thought, what the fuck's they called the cops. Cops came, found the guy straight away who was flying it, arrested him. Then within the same twenty four hours there was a second drone and another person has been arrested. Both of those people have been sent back to Canada. They were from Team Canada. The coach of the Canadian women's football team has committed suppuku and fallen on his sword. He's out, he said, he's not going to coach for this next game. And one of the people that was flying the drones was given a deferred prison sentence of eight months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for flying in a restricted area.
Speaker 3: In a restricted area.
Speaker 4: Assistant coach Jairsman mandate she's also gone.
Speaker 1: She going too, So they're both on flights back to Canada as hell out of there.
Speaker 3: So there's no rules on the age for woman. You are exist, that is, there's no place in the game for that contract. That is.
Speaker 4: That is a real waste, isn't it? Because I can't imagine they are the current Olympic champions Canada. Yes, why would they want to spy on I mean I could tell them right now. Stack the back. That's what New Zealand football does. Stacks the back, kick it to the in all grades and all genders. Yeah, stack stack the back and yeah.
Speaker 3: I hope it downfield.
Speaker 1: So but we haven't been in them since nineteen eighty seven, the other running champs.
Speaker 3: Maybe this is how they did it.
Speaker 1: I would say, if you cannot beat New Zealand in a game soccer football without flying a drone over the top of them, then you don't deserve to.
Speaker 4: Was Is there something else to read into this mini Was the drone actually spying on something else? Wasn't holvering around the showers?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, No, I'd like to steer you away from that.
Speaker 1: There's a track record here and I'd like to also distance myself from that as well. I'm sure they were just trying to check out the formations of the players. If you need to spy on the women's football team.
Speaker 3: It's probably not going to work out for you.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, there's probably easy ways of doing it. There's probably volunteers within that stadium there that are helping out, that would have helped you out.
Speaker 1: Also, I don't know what are you actually going to glean like really that you haven't already seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that they didn't try in the last game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're not going to come out and open the bowling with Deepak Ptel. They're not going to shock you like that. Yeah, that's all right.
Speaker 1: I just think like literally last week week before we were out at Eden Park before the All Blacks played against England. We're sitting in the corporate the big core box area, and all of we were seated at tables having lunch. All of the curtains behind us were drawn and we were told we were not allowed to take photos of the All Blacks training out of the field. We weren't allowed to watch, and it was enforced. There were people standing there. If you were watching out the window, they'd come and usher you away. They were reluctant though, because I was on I was on my phone. She guys, you got to move.
Speaker 3: I said, I shut up.
Speaker 4: I've just got to do some work. And she's like, you got to move, and I so did. I did it, but that was stupid. It was like a captain's run and they do it in front of a thousand kids parents.
Speaker 1: And I filmed the whole thing and send it through to the English camp and they still lost.
Speaker 3: Still fucked up, So you know, what's the point of all of that.
Speaker 1: But I'm a big fan of this drone spying scanner was my favorite kind of thing because we were just in Paris last year.
Speaker 4: They don't fuck around with this kind of stuff. No, and security wise, they don't pass around either. No, so they are heavily armed to the teeth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, patience. It's a wonder they were. Because the other thing is you don't know that there wasn't a bomb in there, you know, like.
Speaker 3: Price it and shoot it down. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I know that airports employee hawks and eagles and shit to stop people from flying drones nearby. So I don't know, maybe maybe we're looking to unleashing a few hast eagles around there.
Speaker 3: Do they do that? Doesn't that to chase the way the other birds?
Speaker 1: They do that at airports to chase, Yeah, to chase some birds way, but yeah, some have started deploying them to attack humans, attack drones.
Speaker 3: Take drones.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's quite gatsy because some drones are quite big.
Speaker 3: It could chop upper an eagle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then just get another one as long as you've got a permit. True, we've been sending animals out to do our duty work for years, that's true. Actually, the Russians were strapping bombs to beluga whales, apparently allegedly reportedly. All right, we have to take quick breaks before we do a quick reminder about the Helenstein's VP competition we're running at the moment. We want to hook you up with an exclusive opportunity to win a VIP Warrior's experience. You will score tickets, money for food and beverages or whatever. You want to spend that money on plus vouchers to be kitted out by the legends at Hellenstein's just like we.
Speaker 3: Are right now to get in the draw.
Speaker 1: Texts VIP to three two three six and you could be a VIP at the Warriors thanks to the ACC and Helen Stein's brother's quick break will be right back.
Speaker 3: All right lane. It is a Thursday. This week is absolutely flown by.
Speaker 1: That tends to happen when you don't sleep all week because you asked jest to vunger rears and rehappen he isn't.
Speaker 3: Or if you're on sidie for dreams or sleep still next week.
Speaker 1: But because it is Thursday, we're going to go for a throwback Thursday. And I thought, because the Olympics kicking off this week, I'd like to throw it back to our most successful Olympics. Yes, which by some metrics was the most recent ones in Tokyo, and by other metrics it was the one that we're going to go for because.
Speaker 3: We don't want to throw it back to just like three years ago. Nah, and we're not interested in bronzes.
Speaker 1: No, Well that's the thing. So the most successful Olympic campaign at least in my mind is nineteen eighty four. We had thirteen total medals, but eight of those were gold.
Speaker 3: Where was this in?
Speaker 1: This was competed in Los Angeles, the United States? Yeah, in Tokyo we had twenty total medals, Yeah, but only seven golds.
Speaker 4: The LA one. I remember that. I would have been six years old, but I distinctly remember it because that guy came in on the jetpack?
Speaker 3: Was there one?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: And that's that was the future? How come jitp packs haven't been there? I know that's why.
Speaker 4: His came in on a fucking jetpack and I was like, ah, man, that's there, this is the future.
Speaker 3: And he landed.
Speaker 4: I don't know what he did, but then then I was suspicious about whether it was he was on wires or whatever. But it was a jet pack, right, What happened to the jet pack?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Why aren't jit packs in every household? Anyway?
Speaker 1: Here's the medal table. Mark Todd he won a gold for a questrian. Yep, it would have been in peak Mark Todd charisma days, wouldn't It was eighty four to eighty seven the Olympics nineteen eighty four. Summer Olympics are They're always in an even year.
Speaker 4: Okay, as we are now, he famously after he won that gold medal, rode through a house with the horse with his gold medal and his underpants apparently, and rode through scooped up a bottle of champagne, drink out of it and rode out the other side.
Speaker 3: That's gangster, and then beat that horse to a polp afterwards. Whimped, not beat, oh whipped. Sorry.
Speaker 1: The men's coxless four Day one shown O'Brien, lezz O'Connell, Conrad Robertson and Keith Trusk was Less O'Connell, the last athlete to have been named.
Speaker 3: LEZ to represent New Zealander.
Speaker 4: Reckon Um sitting on the mail side. Another gold in the sar talking about Lane Leslie.
Speaker 1: Oh right, yes, of course. Another gold in the sailing. That was Rex Sellers and Chris Tims. They were sailing what's known as a tornado and sticking with sailing.
Speaker 3: Russell Coots keats. Yeah, he won a gold and what I presume to be some sort of leezer looking thing.
Speaker 4: He now he lives surrounded by gold leaf whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah he does.
Speaker 1: And Ferguson had himself time. He won two gold medals. The first and the men's K one five hundred meters the second and it means K two five hundred meters yep. Then Alan Thompson went out and he won the K one one thousand and Ferguson jumped back in the boat with the three of his mates.
Speaker 3: And won another gold. The means K four one thousand meters. We love kayaking, do we? We love sitting down on a boat? Yeah? Why because we've got so many lakes? Is it?
Speaker 4: Is it like so many hydro dams. Yeah, you can get on a boat and row.
Speaker 1: I suppose Australia are never gonna beat us at that, are they? They don't have lakes now, they've got no water. Yeah, but yeah, I don't know. I'm gonna say something quite controversial here. I find it so boring, Ah, any kind of boat racing. I just don't like racing in general.
Speaker 3: I think. So you don't like sailing either.
Speaker 6: God?
Speaker 4: No, what about the sale GP when they're coming past you one hundred kumeers now and they basically spare into a marker and just about sync.
Speaker 3: I'm contractually obliged to say that I fucking love sale JF. All right, and you got to.
Speaker 4: Say in that chase boat when they hoooning past you a one hundred Colmers. Now that's not boring.
Speaker 1: No, that's not boring. Also, don't know who was winning when that was happening.
Speaker 4: Well, have you the same with Formula one?
Speaker 1: I know who's winning in Formula one. It's the guy who started in first. Hey just thinking that the strap on is losing the guts, is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: He is.
Speaker 4: He's had to do he's changed his car and he's have to take a ten like place grid penalty because he said to change his car because he's shipping the bed.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll bet on him to come tenth then, yeah, because no one gets overtaken in Formula one.
Speaker 4: I'm lining I'm lining up, going to Singapore, Grand Prinix year.
Speaker 3: Take me. Yeah, absolutely, I love Formula one. My favorite ship.
Speaker 1: If they could take the motors out, put it on water and give guys sticks to propel it.
Speaker 4: Forward to get care on, we've got the sidetracked.
Speaker 3: The silver blow your mind.
Speaker 1: Kevin Barry, a boxing lightweight light heavyweight. Sorry before or after the the hair transplant? Well before, in fact, I think this is what knocked the hair out of his forehead. There, Yeah, Kevin Barry won himself the silver. He lose to Evander Holyfield or didn't.
Speaker 4: There some story around him and Evander. Either he lost to Evander or he beat him.
Speaker 1: He defeated Evander Holyfield, he did, yeah, holy but it was something to do with it as a disqualification.
Speaker 4: He got hit in the nuts or something after the bower.
Speaker 1: It doesn't say exactly what he did here. I'm sure someone could in fact check us on that. I did not know that that was. That's his massive claim to fame. He beat Evander Hollyo and the Olympics. Holy shit probably bit his ear, it might have been where we learned it. We then get into the bronzes. We had the men's cocks four and then Bruce Kendall, brother of one of bronze for sailing the wing glider, which I couldn't tell you what that is. That's just windsurfing. Yeah, I presume. So anyway, that is your most successful Summer Olympics for New Zealand. Eight golds, in large part due to Ian Ferguson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't. I don't have a great feeling about this Olympics.
Speaker 1: Well they've done that. There's that story doing the rounds at the moment that they've they've plugged all the data into AI and it's spat out a projection for how many medals. Yeah, we're gonna winn. Apparently we're going to win sixteen total. And Lisa Carrington's our best chance at gold.
Speaker 3: I reckon. Amy Fisher's going to tipper up. I've heard that. I reckon, that's that's gonna happening. That's the only one.
Speaker 4: I reckon is a real certainty. Those those two, one of those two will win gold. The rest of them, like Hamish Cute, I'd love him in the high jump ye to win. But like you said, he won the Diamond League. But the dude, who's the world champ? You didn't go. Yeah, You've got Tom Walsh, who unfortunately is a couple of massive beef steak Americans in front of him.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and then it's that what's his name, Croucher Krauser or something like that. Yeah, and he he's sort of like about half a meter ahead of everyone else, and then everyone else is sort of fighting for the bronze and silver.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then you've got Hayden Wild which he's definitely a chance, but not a dead certainty. No, he's not hot favorite, not if he takes his shoe off too quick. Yeah, he's still paying seven backs to win gold. They're about the own. You've got the I suppose you've got the rowing as well. They've got the the eight defending their their gold.
Speaker 1: Tokyo as As we've always said, anytime we're sitting down in a boat, a chance.
Speaker 3: And the yachting.
Speaker 4: I guess there were always a bit of a chance here. But we haven't got old Berling and Tuki, have we No, they're not there. They're over in Bala.
Speaker 1: No, but I do think that we still we still produce some great sailors. University flatmate of mine is sailing for some more over there. This is his second Olympics.
Speaker 3: So you get on the line. Can we talk to them? Yeah, get only on the line.
Speaker 1: I think they there's some sort of like social media blackout. I don't know if that's self enforced or if the New Zealand Olympic team do that.
Speaker 3: But he's not on social media. You just ring his phone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's no real red hot favorites like that. For your previous years, when there was like Eric Murray's and the and the like, you know.
Speaker 3: That he goes a dead suit.
Speaker 1: No, But what I do love about the Olympics is over the next few weeks, someone is going to each themselves into the minds of every new Zelander. You know, someone's going to make a name for themselves that we haven't heard of before. We're like, oh shit, this did remember twenty twenty four Olympics we needed blah blah blah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like it as well because it's the only time I allowed my kids to watch TV in the mornings during the weekday. They're allowed to watch sport, so no fucking cartoons or YouTube.
Speaker 3: Yah.
Speaker 4: They can get up in the morning at five in the morning if they want, switch on and watch Olympics till they go to school.
Speaker 3: So I quite like that. We can sit there and.
Speaker 4: It's the rules, so where they watch my numbing things that they've never watched before, like the cat the cat toy dance and the gymnastic gymnast yeah with the little ribbon and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I asked jest to Vunger if he be any good at that on the podcast on Monday, and I actually reckon that was more embarrassing than what I did. No, okay, anyway, let's move on our agenda hunch for this week. Lane, you were talking about him just before.
Speaker 3: I like the look of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like the look of Hayden Wild. He's obviously a friend of the show and the triathlon. He got jypped with a penalty.
Speaker 1: He took, he took his shoe, unclipped his shoe too early, yes, which is bullshit as bullshit.
Speaker 4: So Hayden Wild here to win gold. He's paying four bucks and it's not bad.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, like quite short, you know what I mean, one of the favorites. Yeah, I don't know anything about Traython. So that's my haunch, Hayden Wild purely.
Speaker 4: It's that's a it's a very much a vibe punt because he's a he's a good dude, he doesn't take himself overly seriously and just a GC. So that's the hunch this week. The TB hunch is get on Hayden Wild to win gold. I was hoping that there will be a few more odds and maybe you're head up Carl from the tab around top threes, like just placing it can only pick gold at the stage, So I was king I was going to multi up kind of a whole lot of top threes and golds.
Speaker 3: But we're going to go yeah, you're.
Speaker 1: Going to go the oh, I've forgotten his name, Hamish and then Bevan Dougherty, Yeah, yeah, the one two Quinella, Yeah, the.
Speaker 3: One two Quinn.
Speaker 4: So yeah, So there's plenty of options on the Olympics if you if you go through that, you can go through it by sport happening. Handball for me, France is the hot favorite.
Speaker 3: Well they've always been good at handball. Front Germany hot contenders.
Speaker 4: Marathon swimming you can punt on.
Speaker 1: What's that marathon swimming? Yeah, it's just long swim? Is it forty one k's?
Speaker 3: I don't think it's shortly one.
Speaker 4: Case you'd grow gills by the end of it. I tell you who's the it's ten kilometers. Tell you who's the favorite. That Sharon Sharon, Yeah, Sharon von Rind, Netherlands. And then Leoni Beck from Germany, she's a real fish, had her number one, and Anna Marcella Canna.
Speaker 3: Let's move on.
Speaker 1: I would like to regale you with the Ballad of Nuggy. Are you familiar with Nuggy? Have you come across the.
Speaker 3: Nugge not Aaron Aaron Smith.
Speaker 1: No, not Aaron se I'm not an Auckland woman has been jailed after a more thid the best dog called Nuggie died. The especiac the poach couldn't walk more than ten meters. They took the dog after a number of reports and incidents from this woman who owned the dog. Nuggie couldn't even walk ten meters. He's a photo of a nuggy. By the way, Nuggie looks.
Speaker 3: Like a seal. Oh, Nuggy is a seal. Nuggy looks like.
Speaker 1: A seal's come up on land and grown legs. When they went to rescue him, he couldn't walk ten meters without him having to stop.
Speaker 3: When you have a look, see the blue thing he's lying on. Have you sea? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Have you seen these before? It's an emergency tarp. It's how they move unconscious patients.
Speaker 3: Around like that. If you need to get someone.
Speaker 1: Down a hallway inside our house, that's how the ambulance turns to it. Animal control officers said his leagues appeared to be collapsing under the weight of his huge body.
Speaker 3: This was their official statement. Collapsing on the weight of his huge body The woman had been feeding Nuggy up to ten pieces of chicken a day on top of the dog biscuits, that she feared it fried chicken. I presume you're not cooking it.
Speaker 1: Although there's an element of you know, premeditation here, like this woman was trying to.
Speaker 3: Make Nuggi fat. She's a feeder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she had a feeding fittish and she couldn't do to a person. She shared to do it to a dog. Nuggie Wade fifty three points seven kilograms. When the SPCA picked him up, he was so I don't know what that's correct. He was so fat that when there's a joke when it was so fat. When they rolled him in flower, they could not Nuggie was so fair a fifty three point seven killers so obeesient. Was not possible for the vents to hear his heart with the stethoscope because the sound could penetrate the nuggy.
Speaker 7: So where's Nuggy now in Yeah, of course he fucking died. He's fifty three heven Keller's. The SPCA picked them up, they tried to heal him.
Speaker 1: He lost like eight kilos while he was in the in the in the vets and they came there and then they found.
Speaker 3: All this other stuff.
Speaker 4: You know obviously, yeah, has had you Oh yeah, as Hard would have been one hundred years old.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, poor Nuggi one of the most obese animals the SPCA has ever seen. And the person that was the owner has been sentenced to jail reparations of twelve hundred dollars a d. She's gone to jail, yep. And then yeah, she's gone to jail. See, and I think your punishment should be she should have to eat what she was feeding to Nuggy every day. Yeah, for the entirety of her jail sentence.
Speaker 4: That's a hell of a story. In the cello, isn't he You're sharing a cell with someone. What are you in here for?
Speaker 3: Drug smuggling? Smuggling drug? What are you here for? Violent assault?
Speaker 8: Ah?
Speaker 3: What about you feed my dog ten pieces of chicken a day until it was fifty three kilos? She would have got a hiding. You couldn't walk ten ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't know correct me out so much, but it did rip rest in power Nuggy. Snack change sports scholarship has got nothing to do with Nuggy, but it is.
Speaker 3: We're binge.
Speaker 1: Watching a sport is a sport and it's changed so many people's lives.
Speaker 3: Yes, it has, it is. It's groundbreaking.
Speaker 1: It's about us giving back to the community. You know a lot of people aren't in a position to watch sport all day and eat snacka Chini chips, and we'd like to change that. So we've set up the Foundations Snack Chini Sports Scholarship and if you want to win it, just text Chip to three two three six, follow the link and you could be in to win the Ultimate acc Price Pack.
Speaker 3: We can take a quick break, come back with Yours Please.
Speaker 2: Yours Please, brought to you by Leader Home of the.
Speaker 3: We did too many of these yesterday, so many. It's good. I like it.
Speaker 4: If you're out there, get on the talkback function on your eyheartradiot, the little microphone and send them through because it's great.
Speaker 3: We have to do lest work.
Speaker 1: We've reached a tipping point where I guess we're either going to decide whether the entire podcast becomes Yours Please, or whether they're not all gonna make it. You know, we're already cutting a few out. I think we're just gonna have to keep cutting it down, or do we just do one big podcast called Yours Please, once a week potentially. The only problem with that is they date the date. It's like if you're asking us a question about a game that plays on Thursday and we're not addressing it till the following Wednesday.
Speaker 3: You know I'm a fan, all right, Well I have it.
Speaker 1: I've called a bunch today, so we've only got I think three four four, So just in the interest of people's time and sanity, first caller here, yours please.
Speaker 8: Good lads, Hey just done changing up the Olympic sports. I'm sure it's been discussed, but what about having just your efforts to Joe competing? Imagine that, like, you know, they could say, call out a seat number from the crowd. You have to come down and compete. Because I know I've.
Speaker 9: Watched a sport and gone, oh ship that guy competing his slow shit, But fuck that'd wipe the carp And how good would it be just to see you know, your average Joe flopping about is see.
Speaker 4: I like this because I think I pitched it to the Black Clash organizers. Was an eleventh man from the crowd or person or woman or whoever, just they just call a ticket number, and you're up, and you're on the field, no matter how hammred you are, no matter you have to put the kid on and then it's up to the captain to try and hide you, and invariably the ball will find you if you're trying to hide someone. And just the fact that if they took a catch, they would be an absolute hero. Yeah, or they did something amazing, but just an average Joe on the field, potentially blind drunk, would be hilarious.
Speaker 3: It would be.
Speaker 1: This is a half baked sports idea I had a while ago was the Power to the People Play, where once a game, batting team gets to pick a bowler from the opponent's fans out of the crowd and they get a bowl the next over and vice versus, and the next guy's going to come into bat. I think it's a great idea. I kind of wonder though, with the Olympic thing. So you just pick Joe Blogs out of the stands, he jumps in the ninth lane or whatever, and he.
Speaker 3: Runs against them.
Speaker 1: That doesn't give me a whole lot of information because I don't know too much about this dude. What I would like is to have like just maybe the high school champ of France. He's in the eleventh lane or ninth plane or whatever, so that you can see how much better these athletes are than just a guy that does it, you know what I mean. So in the sevens, you would bring in a dude from your local club who's like quite handy, and you would get to see just how big the gulf is between professionals and amateurs. I think, like I've worked with a few former professional athletes, the number one thing that pisses them off is how close that Joe Bloggs thinks he is to a professional athlete.
Speaker 3: That's I'm so much further away from you than you realize.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Leehart thinks he's dangerously close to being an international cricketer because he's got Martin Gapteor in the Herey jab out in the Charity Games. So he thinks he's, you know, six months from training away from being in the black Caps, even at the age ripe old age.
Speaker 1: Of fifty, like thirties. I think he says, yeah, just so he's just.
Speaker 3: A month on the vodka sodas away from being an international cricketer.
Speaker 4: I love seeing him on the on the sod usually before before summer. Just going to get atle bit of shredding for our events before his next TV show comes out.
Speaker 3: Works, I manas to try another caller here yours?
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, fellows, Hey, you guys have to get to the Olympics and our hollow the athletes around after they've done the Olympic events. Yeah, this will make great fucking watching boys, call it the Olympus. Watch him fucking just dominate off the field. It'd be great. Great, I fucking see it. Now, get there, follow him around and just watch them on absolute tear, bless blessed. Love your route.
Speaker 4: We tried, Yeah, we did. The Olympus is a great name as well. We tried to partner with Heineken and run the bar in New Zealand house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because because the problem that we they're going to have over there is players get in first night fever, getting a bit too excited for their finished. So what we were going to do is put a full schedule up behind the bar and as the players come up, we cross reference the things. But may let you're lifting weights tomorrow morning, mate, Yeah, sit down, see you in two days.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right. But once they're done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they name lights up in green and they just got an open bar.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Norm Yeah, but she is. Yeah. We tried, we tried, but we were denied. It would have been the second. Well look the other thing is we know we're around Paris. Were like, we could help these we could help these athletes, but in the interest of avoiding an international incident, we didn't go.
Speaker 3: Probably for the best. Another call here, yours please did.
Speaker 5: You get a team me again? Look after today's chat about the Unfunked South Canterbury group, I will happily be the founding member of that. I would love to be a part of an event that goes down to South Caliberary to watch Cali. It just fold half of North Otigo. But anyway, yeah, book the fucking limousine.
Speaker 3: There you go. Some people are aware of it, and I are you.
Speaker 4: What you're worried about is going down to unfux South Canterbury and Cannybury don't even know they've been.
Speaker 3: Fucked, that's right. And the first that they become aware of it is when you go, when I go down there, and so then they're gonna be like, why have you brought all these people down here telling us they hate South Canterbury I love it. I love it. Look you, I mean you're used to it.
Speaker 4: You're still I could see you're visibly still shaking with the Jazz Stavanger situation that for years. So try and maybe this can supersede it, or in your contral.
Speaker 3: Pile on top of it, you know, might make it much much worse. I reckon.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I just like there's someone on board at the unfolks south and everything.
Speaker 3: Thanks good. I think we've got one more.
Speaker 1: Nope, we're done. All right, let's knock this thing on the head. That'll do us for a Thursday episode tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I've got one thing. Oh huge announcement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So something we've been working on for a while has finally come to fruition, and that is the ACC Decade of Sport Almanac.
Speaker 3: Now people might think we're joking, it's a book. It's a book. It is a significant hardcover book. It's a real book.
Speaker 4: It's a real book that covers off Sport in New Zealand and the history of the ACC from the past ten years, so starting right at the start in twenty fourteen all the way to twenty twenty four covering a lot all the stories uncut in print everything.
Speaker 3: Like all the oral history.
Speaker 4: There's a guide there from you around streaking and had a streak, Matt Heath Guide on a good banner, Yeap Maconey's guide on how to write a parody song, Leehart's Guide to Skinning Animals, Paul Ford's Guide to sneaking piss into grounds.
Speaker 3: Yes, And then on.
Speaker 4: The back, just to give you a taste of it, it says, from the beginnings in an abandoned mobile p lab to the media colossus that bestrides at today, this is the alternative commentary leak and full color, and in their own words, relive the highs and the heartbreaks, the rugby shockers, the correct calamities, and the countless examples of punishing and heroic behavior off the field. The nicknames, the scores, the stats, the animal facts, the great New Zealanders. And a catalog of practical guidance on everything from streaking, smuggling booze to skinning cats and penning parody songs. And a couple of recommendations from dam vatories. Read it, and he's on the front saying it's actually quite good. Yeah, And one here from Jason Hoyt. On the back he said, I'd like to distance myself as far away as possible from the contents of this book.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you can pre order it now.
Speaker 4: So text book two three two three six. It's coming out in mid October, so a little bit late for Father's Day, but perfect for Christmas.
Speaker 3: Yep, forty bucks. It's pretty good. Geez.
Speaker 4: Reasonable and it is. I'd say it perfect for the toilet, yeah, because you can open it any page.
Speaker 3: Just quite a lot in there. Yeah, you can open it any page and start reading it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's got all of our worst crimes as well, like from the stripper in the studio to the London Debarkle, the ampstere Be and Debarkle.
Speaker 3: It's got some terrific crimes in there. I can't read. But the pictures in there look incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the scorecards and all sorts of things, some photos that I didn't even know existed.
Speaker 4: Yes, so there is so there it is. It's in the in the flesh. It's been sent straight from the printing factory because they're not here till October.
Speaker 3: But you can pre order it. How does it smell.
Speaker 4: I love a smell of a new book. Yes, it's like a new baby. Yeah, I mean you smell the lid of a new baby. It's like that, but it'll be great Christmas stocking stuff for this one.
Speaker 3: Written by myself, Matt Heath, and Dylan Cleaver. Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one coming out. When is that one out? October?
Speaker 4: Will keep it up med October, but you can pre order it now if you want to get your hands on it.
Speaker 3: And I suggest you do. All right, we're going to knock it on the head today.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow the a SEC Sports Book with card from the teir b plus another episode of the Gender Podcast, and at eight o'clock at night, the Warriors take on the Tigers, myself and Hurley commentating that one.
Speaker 3: So we will see you. Then.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the ACC's Agender Podcast, brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio for wom you get your podcasts