Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from news talks it B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. It's time for all the attitude, all the opinion, all the information, all the debates of this now the Leyton Smith Podcast powered by news talks it B.
Speaker 2: Welcome to podcasts two hundred and forty five for July third, twenty twenty four. Speaking of dates, nineteen ninety four saw the publication of a book with the title Lost Rights, The Destruction of American Liberty. It was the third book by libertarian journalist James Bouvart, who is now, by the way, written eleven books. Then in nineteen ninety nine came Freedom in Chains, The Rise of the State and the Demise of the Citizen. And I recall referencing this on properly quoted a bit. In fact, here's an example of what the book contained. Paternalism is a desperate gamble that lying politicians will honestly care for those who fall under their power. The night watchmen state has been replaced by highway robber states, governments in which no asset, no contract, no domain is safe from the fleeting whim of politicians. So much of political philosophy throughout history has consisted of concocting reasons why people have a duty to be tame animals in politicians' cages. The surest effect of exalting government is to make it easier for some people to drag others down. The growth of government is like the spread of a dense jungle, and the average citizen can hack through less of it every year. And trusting governments nowadays means dividing humanity into two classes, those who can be trusted with power to run other people's lives and those who cannot even be trusted to run their own lives. Now, I got feedback from somebody who told me that I was wrong. The book was wrong. There was no truth to it, and I suspected at the time, and I think eventually time has proven that James Bouvard was right on target, that the loss of rights doesn't matter whether it's America, Australia, New Zealand, Britain. The loss of rights, the invasion if you like, of more and more of what is now called the authoritarian state, has succeeded in doing what he suggested it would. So let's get to the year of twenty twenty four. His latest book, Last Writes, The Death of American Liberty. The other books that I've got of his are all hardcover, so therefore there are cover flaps that I can refer to. The trouble with paperback is that there are no cover flaps. So from the West Coast Review of Books three hundred and thirty five well packed but easily read pages of condemnations. Seldom, if ever, I have so many egregious acts of government and officers been presented so succinctly as in this book at a Wall Street Journal. Remarkable, astonishingly, broad, excellent. Mister Bouvard's unrivaled research has resulted in a virtual encyclopedia of modern government abuse. And I think that we can relate to that in this country, or any country, but particularly English speaking countries, which seem to becoming more and more prolific in their failings. So in the conversation to be had in a few moments, I can promise that you'll be impressed with his ability to cope with an unstructured interview, my favorite kind, his retention of events and details, and his sometimes intentional humor, sometimes not. We had a lot of fun, and I hope you enjoy it now a little bit of domestic housekeeping. Mister producer is enjoying herself in London. She'll be back in two weeks time, but she's having a great time with her girls and meeting up with old family and friends and what have you. I get two reports today and there's always a smile on her face. Well, the reason I mentioned that is because she's not going to be here for the mail room. But I've grabbed two or three letters that I wanted to share, and I will follow that with an opinion piece by a highly esteemed law professor with regard to the Supreme Court's historic presidential immunity decision. Everybody is talking about it. If they're not talking about it, it's only because they're writing about it. And I've never seen anything quite like it. So many frustrations, so many opinions of varying kinds, and the unwillingness of some people to understand exactly what the Supreme Court is there for. And I'll quote you that after the letters, there are essential fat nutrients that we need in our diets, as the body cart manufacture them. These are Omega three and Omega six fatty acids, Equisine is a combination of fish oil and virgin evening primrose oil, a formula that provides an excellent source of Omega three and Omega six fatty acids in their naturally existing ratios. The Omega six from evening primrose oil assists the Omega three fish oil to be more effective. Equisine is a high quality fish oil supplement enriched with evening primrose oil that works synergistically for comprehensive health support. Source from the deep sea sardines Anchovisa magrol provide essential Amiga three fatty acids in their purest form without any internal organs or toxins. Every batch is tested for its purity before it's allowed to be sold. Equisine supports cells to be flexible, so important to support healthy blood flow and overall cardiovascular health. Equisine can support mood, balance and mental clarity and focus in children, all the way to supporting stiff joints, mental focus, brain health, and healthy eyes as we get older. It was in as a premium, high grade fish and evening primrose oil to be taken in addition to a healthy diet and is only available from pharmacies and health stores. Always read the label and users directed and if symptoms persist, seeing your healthcare professional. Farmer broker Auckland James Bovard. James is the author of eleven books, including the nineteen ninety four bestseller Lust Writes The Destruction of American Liberty Now just so happens when I made contact with Jim to do this podcast, because we spoke first of all, back in twenty twenty one, and we will make mentions of that, I'm sure in a moment. But I got in touch with him as the debate of last Friday Our Time was about to get underway, and I invited him on to the podcast, and after the debate was over, he sent me an acceptance, and one of the first things he said to me was I've got a new book out, and I thought, well, that's great. The new book is called Last Rites, and it's published thirty years after a book called Lost Rights that we discussed with James the first time we spoke. And I'm looking at it now and I've got green ink all over it where I have marked it for that particular interview. Thirty years between those two books, Lost Rights and Last Rites. Jim Bovart, it's great to have you back on the podcast. I'm thrilled that you were able to do it, and thank you.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks so much for having me back on. I'm just glad that since we talked loud fun, that you were able to persuade your Prime minister to leave the country.
Speaker 2: I think that she got persuaded by all and sundry to be honest.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, she's certainly left a void in the hearts of people like you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no room in my heart. I'm afraid. But she but she she claimed that she had run out of gas and didn't have enough to carry on at the time, something which I think proved itself to be incorrect. That was the reason that she gave, and that's what that's what they accepted, well, most people. But I think I think we've seen otherwise. I would I would prefer to suggest that because of the policies that she followed, the price of petrol went so high that she couldn't afford it to fill it up anymore.
Speaker 3: That's a good line. That's a good line.
Speaker 2: Now, Lost Rights and Lost Rights, the second book, which is new, was based as a follow one to the first book, Lost Rights, Was it not.
Speaker 3: It's fairly obvious to me. Yeah, well, you know, it's funny. Back when Last Rites came out in nineteen ninety four, people thought I was cynical, But you know, here we are thirty years down down the road, and the nineteen nineties looks like practically a golden era for American liberty compared to nowadays, because so many things have gotten so much worse. It was like it was like the politicians, both parties, presidents see so much power after the nine to eleven attacks, starting wars, setting torture loose around the world, and then then we had COVID, and it was a sign that the politicians could destroy far more rights and liberties than they ever thought possible. And there are so many dangerous precedents from that. There are me biting Americans in the backside for a long time.
Speaker 2: The other book that I have enjoyed of yours, not that there aren't more, I was or is Freedom and Change, The Rise of the States and the Demise of the Citizen. So this was ninety nine from memory that you published that twenty five years ago, and I look across to my bookshelf and I see won by Victor Davis Henson, The Dying Citizen. So we've got the rise of the States and the demise of the citizen, the dying citizen. Twenty five years later, how much of things changed in that twenty five years.
Speaker 3: Well, things have gotten a whole lot worse. And part of what's frustrating to me is here I am top thumping on this issue going back forty years now. But what's striking to me is that there was at the time I was coming of age in the seventies, maybe the eighties as well, there was still it was like a trade market of Americans. They were proud of their love of freedom and independence and basically telling the government to go screw itself. I mean that it was almost an American trademark. Maybe it was already fading a lot by that point, but nowadays folks have got a lot more docile attitude. There was a survey, a recent survey showed that over a recent survey that showed around thirty percent of young adults support mandatory government surveillance cameras inside the home to prevent domestic violence or other violations of the law. Now, if someone is so boneheaded that they want to have a government surveillance camera in their own home, they are lost souls. I mean, I guess I try to. I try to use intellectual triage in this sense. There are some people who can recognize this, or some people have got the instincts or the values. But when someone's in favor of having government surveillance cameras in their own home just to make sure that they don't don't misbehave, it's like, I mean, this is this is like a parody of a free society, of a free citizen. And it's interesting to see how this came out. During the COVID pandemic, I followed the government advisories closely, and I got a lot of laughs. And thanks to Anthony Fauci, I never had any rust build up in my cynicism. It was always out there. But something which I would do almost every weekend during the pandemic. I was out leading hikes because hey, we're outside. People need to get out and breathe and banter and joke and scoff at the government. And so there was a there was an old canal towpath from the eighteen twenties nearby here along the Potomac River, the scene now canal towpath, and so so I'd be leading hikes out there, and you know, I'm outside, and so I wasn't wearing a mask. And I literally had people screaming and cussing at me because I wasn't wearing a mask. And this is a towpath. There was wide enough for a team of mules, so it was basically wind enough for an eighteen wheel truck. And there was there was one guy. Actually it was about three years ago. I was walking along with the group and I was in front of the group and guy points at me like he'd seen Dracula and he holds his coat up above over his face and points at me. He says, you're not wearing a mask. And I felt like saying good one, sherlock, and I just said yep, and then just kept walking. And then he turns and shouts, you know, so you think your beard is a mask? And I just kind of shrugged and kept walking and then he shouts, your beard is ugly. So here I am. I'm walking along, there's simping to doing a hike, and I'm getting heckled for my beard because I'm not wearing a not wearing a COVID mask. But the mask didn't work. You're outside, your sunshine there's when. But it was like it brought out the cravenness and so many people, uh there was there were so many, So many governments were encouraging people to become narcs, to be phoning in reports of violators. A favorite example mine came from Massachusetts. Somebody went to a strip tees bar and filed a complaint that the stripper did not have a face mask.
Speaker 2: Did any of these people get put through i Q tests? You know, you could have You could have come to New Zealand. You could have spent you could have spent a couple of weeks in a hotel, and then you could have gone walking on some of our beautiful tracks. They're world famous, and you could have caught the same abuse.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, wow. I would have thought people in New Zealand would have been more reasonable, But obviously I'm ignorant.
Speaker 2: Well you've never been here, so you can be excused for being underinformed. I want to go back now and start with the because this was the reason, and then we'll come back and we'll spend plenty of time on last rite, the death of American liberty. But come back to to what I said at the beginning, and this was all about the debate. You watched it, I would imagine, Oh, how I suffered, didn't we all? I had to get up and walk around from time to time, which sort of relieved the shortness of breath that I was experiencing. But out of that And I don't want to spend too much time on this because I had plenty of discussion already. But what was your take once it was over, or if you prefer soon after it began?
Speaker 3: Well, actually I enjoyed watching it, so it was cat nep persnics. People have attacked me for the last couple of years because I've written a bunch of articles for New York Posts and other places pointing out that Biden is losing it, pointing out that Bien can't walk across the stage without falling over, sometimes pointing out that Bien did us UH five hours of interviews with the Special Council over his U five hours over the his crimes with federal documents were classified, and the Biden administration is fighting tooth and nail to prevent Americans from hearing the audio tapes of those interviews because they show how incredibly out of it is. But there were there were there were a lot of comments in there, which which I found, you know, fascinating. I mean, Biden was at one point was was attacking Trump for his position on abortion, and Biden talked about the huge problem with the young women who were raped by their sisters and therefore would need to have access to abortion. And this is not a problem I'd heard of before. So there was it was interesting. It was interesting Biden. Twelve years ago, Biden was a vice president, he debated Senator Tim Congressman Paul Ryan, who was the nominee for the Republicans. Biden was very quick. Biden put on one of the best performances of any president or vice president in debates, uh, since since the turn of the century. Very good, but I mean, he was Biden was. Biden in that debate was just kind of pawing and he wasn't able to fall up. And the worst news that he got from the host at one point is you still have eighty seconds left, and it's like he's this and he's just kind of struggling. And it was, I mean, and it was he was so badly couch a coach by the his White House staffers campaign team. Uh, there was there was a line he was doing his closing statement, he suddenly starts talking about lead pipes, and I'm thinking, you know, not a good idea to bring a lead pipe to a closing after how you performed tonight.
Speaker 2: It was a surprise, so it appears, so they claim to many many people Democrats specifically, I wasn't surprised in the slightest, were you.
Speaker 3: I was expecting Biden to do a little bit better. I was. I was thinking that they'd be able to get him, you know, pumped up like they did for the City of the the for the State of the Union address. Uh, I guess four or five months ago, when he actually performed much better than expected. I wasn't surprised that Biden did badly. Uh. And but it was clear from the first five minutes that he just wasn't talking well.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: There was there was someone who was kind of saying, well that Biden had actually Biden had Biden had won the debate if you looked only at the transcript, Well, it's hard to have a transcript when the guy's mumbling and just simply not enunciating well at all. So it's just it didn't make any sense. I mean, there was there was an answer he gave it about roe versus weight and the rules for the final trimester, final trimester of abortions, that that he just pulled it out of his backside. It was just there were so many things that were just completely wrong. He was claiming that that no US soldiers had died abroad during his term of office, and tell that to the widows of the Afghanists, the Americans killed in the Afghanist ce withdrawal. It was just, it was so out of touch, and it's it's actually kind of amusing to see the anguish of folks who have been covering for him. But there are so many folks, so many of these pundits and these big donors. They aren't upset by how Biden did. They're upset that Americas now saw it because it had been covered up.
Speaker 2: I want to I want to ask you about lies, the lies that we've lived through. Actually it's a Victor Davis Hanson Peace from from July, which is well for us. It was yesterday after last Thursday's debate, Biden himself laid to rest the Democratic lie that he was that he was robust and in control of his faculties. In truth, he demonstrated to the nation that he is a sad, failing octogenarian who could not perform any job in America other than apparently the easy task of presidents of the United States and the commander in chief in charge of our nuclear codes. Everybody is accusing everybody else, and this has been a growing plague of lying. He's a liar, He's a liar. Now you're a liar. How did it get to this point where people fail to understand who's lying and who's not.
Speaker 3: Well, perhaps the real problem is that people ever expected politicians not to be liars, because it's possible turn back the clock twenty five hundred years to Aristophanes and ancient Athens making jokes about paulicians just being the biggest liars and scant scoundrels scoundrels around And that's certainly that's our experience in this country. I think it's the experience in most countries where they have fairly open elections. Contested elections might be a better term. There was a There was a piece I did in October twenty twenty one month before the when Biden was first elected. He run against Bush, and I said Americans had to choose your liar election. Because both both Trump and Biden were just lying up and down and back and forth. It's still the same thing. Trump is not as dishonest as Biden, but I mean a lot of his ideas, a lot of the things he says are simply not accurate. But Trump can sound coherent, and that's you know, that's a big advantage when you're trying to con voters.
Speaker 2: Want to give you my opinion. Trump actually doesn't lie. You touched on it then and now and now I've forgotten already what you what you said. But Trump exaggerates, he embellishes, but I don't think he sets out to tell a lie, whereas others, and Biden's one of them. Obviously, go back to that first debate and that that question was regard to the to the to the laptop. Lied through his teeth and did it again and again, and it's only one example of thousands of them. Would you agree with you with with with my definition of each?
Speaker 3: I would I would agree with your definition. On Biden, I mean, folks forget and the final debate in October twenty twenty with Trump, Biden insisted that his family had never gotten any money from China, and this is just the biggest load of crap. I mean, at that point it wasn't a question of bribe or kickbacks or anything like that, but there was all kinds of money flowing from Chinese companies to various members of the Biden family, perhaps Joe himself. I'm not sure, but you know, Trump is okay. Back in the nineteen nineties, Back in the late eighties early nineties, I wrote a lot about agriculture policy and trade policy, and that was where I first learned that the things were special, and that in some ways New Zealand was one of the world leaders as far as moving to free market agriculture. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but they were doing far better than the US agriculture policy makers were Trump's comments about tariffs. So Trump wants to have a ten percent across the board tariff, which is just the dumbest damn idea around, because if you put a tariff on products which the US never produced and never will produce, it's simply attacks which multiple would multiplies as it's passed through the economy, and it cost it costs businesses and consumers far more than a benefits government and if you look at the impact of Trump's tariff policies in his first term in office, they were a disaster. But it's it's it's almost and it's sad because there's a big swath of conservatives now in America who are who are basically going back to you know, John Maynard Keynes as a guide for the economic policy. And and it's the same people who have no faith in politicians in general, somehow think that the US Commerce Department should be able to set prices for practically anything in this country by controlling and penalizing imports. And most of these folks have never even been to the Commerce Department. Uh, I was, you know, I spent I did a book on early nineties, and so I spent quite a bit of time there. There we was just all these bureaucrats walking down the hallway, and you could tell that it was possible to tell how many years it had worked for the Commerce Department by how low the seat of their parts hung.
Speaker 2: Intriguing.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe not, Okay, maybe I'm telling too many jokes.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, No, no, no, no, it was I was listening intently. I was. I was un disavoided when you stopped.
Speaker 3: They said there, okay, waiting, where's the punchline? Okay, he's leaning up. Is there going to be a punchline? I hope there's a punchline.
Speaker 2: Were you in fact making reference there to the administrative state in part at least?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So it's it's Trump has made some very good comments condemning the deep state, and it was a deep state that had a big role in his defeat in twenty twenty. There was there were so many dirty tricks by the FBI, by the CIA, by other agencies. A lot of that stuff we have never yet learned. Part of my frustration is that Trump did not pull back the curtain behind hiding the Wizard of Oz. Trump. Trump talked tough, but when it came down to it, Trump put in. Trump put as the his chief of the c I A. A. Gina Haspellhood had had been a leader in the destruction of evidence of the US torture during the Bush administration as and it was Trump who appointed the FBI chief who utterly failed to curb the FBI agents from trampling the Constitution, especially the Fourth Amendment, which prohibits warrantless seizures. There were a lot of appointments that Trump made John Bolton, that's that's okay. You're talking about the need for peace and you bring in the biggest warmonger in Washington, John Bolton, a liar as John Bolton a liar. Uh, maybe he's just very, very badly informed and has a very bad memory.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. So back to back to the debate, or more specifically now the results of that debate. The world was in meltdown, at least half of it was in your country before the debate even even finished. For a start, I spent quite a bit of time the following day on CNN, and I'll i'll do a hard day. I'll dip in and out of CNN occasionally when when there's something that warrants it and there's an AD break on my preferred channel. But I left it there because because they were crying all over the screen, and I wanted to know how long they could keep this this fraud up for I can't I don't believe it's not I can't believe. I don't believe that any of them did not understand what they would do dealing with in the first place, that they covered for as much as they could and successfully for years, and all of a sudden that curtain was rent asunder and the exposure was there for everybody to see, and it was actually very entertaining because they didn't know what to do. And then following that, I suppose that the day after that, it was it was a case of well, who who was going to replace him? And so they were debating that and not one, not one decent suggestion was put forward, of course, because there is no decent suggestion. But the very latest when I went to bed last night was Michelle Obama was was was on the make, and she was being she was being set up for the conference when it happens. Do you think that's likely?
Speaker 3: I don't know, But I mean, folks are forgetting that that the that the Democrat already have someone who could be called in who is mentally sharper than Biden and has experience dealing with international crises. That's former President Jimmy Carter.
Speaker 2: Isn't he dead?
Speaker 3: No, No, he's not dead yet. I think he's in a hospice. But you know, I bet he would have done bear in the debate that Biden did. So I don't know about Michelle Obama. I've heard I'm hearing that. I'm hearing that more I wrote about her, I think in twenty twenty and before, she was leading a leading a crusade in childhood obesity. And as part of this crusade, the Obama administration pushed through a new federal program to give children free breakfasts in the classroom. And it was important to sway the kids to eat the breakfast, so they had a lot of doughnuts and chocolate milk and sweetened cereal and it was a huge sugar bomb. It was sort of like Homer Simpson was a patron saint of this program. I don't know if you've watched the Simpsons Simpsons, but Homer Simpson, the cartoon character, is always eating a donut, so he's a patron saint of this Michelle Obama program. And it was a disaster as far as making kids healthier, but it gave her lots of, you know, camera time, and she could be out there getting praise to solve problems. But no, I mean, I think that the Democrats are really desperate. The Michigan governor Gretchen Gretchen Whitmer is another name that's often being mentioned but written about her and folks. Folks forget that. People in Michigan. Michigan referred to her as the seed Demon. And she's called that because at the start of the pandemic she prohibited stores from selling garden seeds.
Speaker 2: Why did you do then?
Speaker 3: Because she said it was not essential, unlike the sale of government lottery tickets.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, isn't it. I heard someone who I respect yesterday saying that the mocking her and saying she was she was a straight out liar.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean every where, every way, every way you listen these days, specifically at the moment, the word liar is not infrequent.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, but this, this is actually a good thing. And as I said, you know, I felt like the seeing the seeing that debate, it was cat nip for centics. Uh and Americans. You know, Americans need to be more cynical about their elected leaders. Part of the trouble is so many people still expect the government to save their butt. And it's like, no, I mean, this is not what Washington does. Washington extends its own power, it sets I mean, it's always finding reasons to uh further intrude into private life, to trample more of our constitutional rights they haven't learned, and unfortunately, more and more Americans are completely unfamiliar, are completely unfamiliar with living life outside of federal control.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a couple of questions regarding the Supreme Court. You have I think mixed mixed approaches to the Supreme Court? Am I right?
Speaker 3: What is the mixed approach? I'm dying to hear this.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure that somewhere you've you've complimented them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 2: It won't happened. No, No, I mean since eighty six, what happened to change minds?
Speaker 3: They have made some good decisions. There are some justices who have have made some very good calls. The first page of the of the new book quote Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsa of saying that everything has been criminalized now by the government. So that's a huge problem. But you know, sometimes they get it right. But it's it's frustrating that that they have this fairy tale notion of government power. There was a big decision on the censorship cases the the FBI, the White House Centers for Disease Control croudbeat Twitter, Facebook, and other social media companies to censor critics of Bim's policies to censor people that were raising alarms about election fraud, and it was a complete travesy. It's heavily documented. But the Supreme Court said, well, we don't think we're going to decide on this because the victims did not bring signed confessions by the government agents that censored them. And it's like the First Amendment. I mean, it's it's frustrating to me that people don't recognize if you let the government censor during an election, then there is no chance you're going to have an honest reading of Pollock preferences.
Speaker 2: Let me just quote you from that first page of Last Rites. We live in a world in which everything has been criminalized. You mentioned that, warned Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsich, there are now more than This is what I wanted to do, because this is frightening. There are now more than five two hundred separate federal criminal offenses, a thirty six percent increase since the nineteen nineties, along with tens of thousands of state and local crimes. More laws mean more violators who can be harshly punished on command, resulting in arrests of more than ten million Americans each year. Thanks to the Supreme Court, police can lock up anyone accused of even quote, even a very minor criminal offense such as an unbeckled seat belt. How did it happen that those numbers skyrocketed like that? How did it happen that Americans let it happen?
Speaker 3: Those are two very good questions.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: The first question, how did it happen? You had the Supreme Court put the government power on a pedestal, both on a political pedestal, a legal pedestal, and a moral pedestal. The Supreme Court has bent so far over backwards that even when there are cases of police wrongfully shooting people or government officials lying, the Court has said, well, it's important not to be too strict here. Because I was writing about this case a day or two ago, and there was a wonderful phrase, which course escapes my memory. But the gist if it was that the that the Supreme Court was so biased in favored government officials and government intervention that they did not want to have any rulings that would inhibit the government from doing what the government thought needed to be done and what the government thought was best. This ties into the line from the Supreme Court decision last week. It was from the oil arguments a few months ago, but you had one of the Justice justices openly fretting about the openly fretting that the First Amendment could hamstring the federal government when it needed to intervene. And it's like, well, you know, this is why we have the First Amendment to hamstring the government, Because if you don't hamstring the government when they want to censor, then you don't have You don't have any kind of republic. You certainly don't have a democracy. You simply have the people in power for outbeating critics and misleading people. And that's what we had in this country for a long time, and I got a heck of a lot worse after nine to eleven. Unfortunately, most of the American media and most of the politicians don't seem to have learned anything about the failures of government in the last couple of decades.
Speaker 2: It has become ingrained in me that the media has as much to answer as anybody, if not more than everybody, that question that I asked you about, how did the American people let it happen? The media in the main, and I'm talking about the core media, the usual the New York Times, Washington Post and CNN and all the others, and by extension, by the way, to much of the rest of the world, because our media here take articles from those particular journals. CNN is the one that they refer to on television, in the papers, the New York Times, there's Washington Post articles, and I read some of them, and I come very close to throwing up in discuss somebody raised was Mike Levin actually a day or two back, raised the question of the owners of these institutions, because they're all they're all businesses who have shareholders, and why the people involved in the ownership don't start pulling their administrations apart.
Speaker 3: That makes it the assumption that their owners are unhappy with what the papers or their TV networks are doing. And I think that the owners are probably felt like they're being served very well by the kind of hogwash that's being served up to readers and viewers.
Speaker 2: Well, that question could link back to another one with regard to the debate last week. The two protagonists who were asking the questions were predicted to lean very heavily in favor of the incumbent president, but they have been commended, if not praised, in some quarters for being re to be pretty well balanced.
Speaker 3: You'll come in, Yeah, I mean I was expecting there'd be more biased and favorite Biden. But it's funny. There was a front page New York Times story, I guess on Saturday, and I just passed by it in the grocery store, and it was talking about how the silent microphone ended up being really bad for Joe Biden because flashback four years ago, Trump kept interrupting, I mean during Biden's speaking time, and so there was I think it was Napoleon who said, never interrupt your opponent when he's making a mistake, and that could be the guy for how Trump played that played the most recent debate, but it was the rules that were set ahead of time. Another part was you probably heard this is people were saying that the split screen that most Americans saw with the debate, I just it was devastating from Bye because he was there with his mouth hanging open and his eyes kind of on focused and you're thinking, like, you know, you know, it was probably a mistake for him to go with decaf.
Speaker 2: A mistake to go decaf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a mistake for him to go a mistake for him to go with decaf needed coffee. Okay, the joke did not translate, well, doll, but decaff means that you're having that you're getting no caffeine and you're low energy.
Speaker 2: Well I interpreted that correctly. I got it right, but I don't think you went far enough. So, I mean, we're jumping around all over the place. But you're very good at this, so I'm enjoying it. The the the opinion was, and it's certainly mine that in the State of the Union address he was spiked. Wasn't just it wasn't just non non decaf or caffeinated. He was spiked to the to the gills. Now I know, no, so the doctors would do that. I am shocked. I am shocked. I think that you're one of the last people to be shocked. And who said the doctors, who said the doctors were involved.
Speaker 3: Ah, that's true. Well, it's important to avoid an overdose in public if you're going to be doing those kind of supplements.
Speaker 2: And there and there was the other occasion earlier, and that was the one where he did it outside outside of building. I forget which, and it was stressed up was, well, the whole area was staged to look like the devil was speaking.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, are you talking about his speech in Philadelphia in September twenty twenty two. Yes, yes, that was. You know, it's always bad to take your inspiration on lighting from the from the woman who did Triumph of the Will. Is that what they did was a Nazi Yeah, well it seemed that way. The Triumph of the Will was a famous Nazi film of their rally at Nuremberg, I believe in nineteen thirty four. So, but with the red, with the red coloring and just some of the very angry type of lighting. And that was just after Biden had said that had said that Republicans were semi fascists, and I think it was in January the speech near Valley Forge. Fine came out and said Trump was, you know, quoting Hitler or being guided by Hitler. Basically tried to tie Hitler to Trump very tightly. There's there's certain standards there that used to be in American politics that you don't say that your opponent is Hitler. Okay, I mean, this is this is just this is bad form.
Speaker 2: Well that we've seen, We've seen a lot of that in the last few years. But going back to that decaffeinated appearance, to me, it was not fairly obvious. It was very old that he was on something. The next day, here is a guy that they tell us can only work between ten and four in the day. Other than that he falls apart. And he lived up to that without any shall we say, input from elsewhere. But the next morning after he was out of he was out of the waffle bar at two am. And so how much sleep did he get that night before going out the next day and at least pretending that he was full of vibrants and energy.
Speaker 3: No, I think you're right that there are that he was on some type of pharmaceutical boost, some type of drug. I mean, I think that's happened with other presidents in the past. Folks don't realize how much of a scandal the president's health has been in this country ever since Woodrow Wilson, who was incapacitate with a stroke in nineteen nineteen, but his I took over and basically ran the government practically for the final year of his presidency. There's I saw on Twitter today a photo of the cover of the new issue of Vogue, and it's a big portrait basically full size of Jill Biden, Jill Biden, and so I had fun with Twitter. I said, Vogue has got a great photo cover photo of President Biden. So there have been a lot of lies about President's health of President Reagan in his last year in office was pretty much mentally shot, but they kind of cover that up. He would babble in public, but not too much. You know. It's but the fundamental problem is we have a structure of government at this point that gives so much power and arbitrary power and impunity to the president's I mean, it's practically the mirror image of what the founding fathers wanted. And this whole that we have to let the president do what he thinks right, no matter what the law of their constition is. It used to be a complete travecy of American values and American ethics. But this is where the country has been heading. And I've been barking at the Moon on this issue, but I haven't had much effect on the Moon or on American politics.
Speaker 2: Well, next time you're barking at the Moon or going to let me know and I'll join you down here.
Speaker 3: All right, the.
Speaker 2: The Supreme Court decisions that have been handed down in the last few days, today being or yesterday actually being the last day of the year for them. Two cases that I want to mention to you, the Chevron case and of course the Trump case. Can you give us your precise opinion of each one and the results? And I'm asking this question now because you just made a comment about giving the president too much power, and I'm wondering whether or not the Supreme Court has realized that things are out of kilt her and realized that.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I shouldn't have laughed.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously said something stupid.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no, no, you didn't say anything stupid. It's a Supreme Court that it's been. But no, So you asked about the Chevron decision. The nineteen eighty four case canonized the notion that federal agencies deserved deference, far more difference than private citizens or even the Constitution in judging the powers that they seized and the policies which they proclaimed. And that was that's a license for administrative tyranny, and that's how it's played out in this country. And the Court pulled that back last week with the Chevron with a new decision striking down the Chevron precedence. It's a step in the right direction. There's a long ways to go back towards what we used to have in this country. As far as the Trump case, you know, it's it's a it's a frustrating situation here because there have been a lot of bullshit charges against Donald Trump in the last couple of years. Trump's opponents, including Biden, are using law fair. I mean, there were you know, there were so many, uh so many cases where they've simply waived a statue of limitation. And so you're going back several decades and he said, she said, it's like, well, if it was so bad, how come she didn't say that in nineteen ninety six. And if you and if you look at what they did in Georgia, I mean completely rigged situation. The the the the prosecution by Alvin Bragg which Jerry convicted Trump of thirty four felonies. I think that was a complete crock of you know bs what I.
Speaker 4: Said about the judge judge, Yeah, yeah, well, well I assume he'll get nominated to New York Supreme Court.
Speaker 3: So I mean it was a farce. It was a farce, and it was a farce from the get go. Having said that, I mean, it's certainly possible that Trump violated laws, that Trump, uh, that Trump did commit crimes. But the Supreme Court today basically said that a president is exempt from legal liability for his official acts during his term of office and afterwards. As I under said, I haven't read that closely. I was chasing some other rabbits today. But and so it's it's a very disturbing ruling. And there's I think there were three justices that were kind of uh, perhaps barking at the moon for their cause. But if you look at look at some of the rhetoric there, Yeah, there is reason to be concerned Nixon. Nixon was driven out of office in nineteen seventy four. Nineteen seventy seven, he sat down David Frost. It's great interviews with him, and one of and the best known line from that is the jest of it is, it's not illegal if the president does it. This is, unfortunately, this is the rule of thumb for the oval office in this century, starting with George W. Bush.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's let me throw a couple of let me throw a couple of examples at you. The court ruled that as long as it was official duties, the president could not be held accountable. So who's going to decide and the court will obviously who's going to decide though, whether or not something is official part of his official job and what's not. For instance, when he made that speech on the sixth of January, was he fulfilling official function question one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yeah, it's it's so sad to see how the Biden administration and a lot of the media have endlessly demogogued. On January sixth, I actually had an article that came out during that ruckus, and it was talking about how even before then, the media and the Democrats had greatly expanded the definition of treason, and so they were talking about someone being guilty of treason practically if they questioned the twenty twenty election result. And this is before the ruckus at the Capitol. There were there were quite a few people, mostly guys who did violence or attack police that day, who deserve our sentences. But this whole notion that anybody who was within a mile of radius of the US Capitol wearing a MAGA hat deserves time in prison, it was crazy. It never made any sense to take a step back, going back to the question of the president and the law, turned back the clock twenty one years in this country. You've got George W. Bush invading Iraq on false pretenses. George Bush misled the nation. He knew or should have known that it was completely bogus. Bush and his team were out there blaming Saddam Hussein for the nine to eleven attacks. That was always bs. The Saudis had a hell of a lot more to do with it, but they were Bush's buddies, so we didn't hear about that. But you had vast carnish resulting from that. As I understand it, with the Supreme Court decision on the presidential immunity, Bush would be immune from indictment or prosecution on that. Granted it wasn't going to happen anyhow, but as a moral principle, I'm totally opposed to letting I'm totally opposed to letting presidents have this un over the power over the entire globe.
Speaker 2: See, I'm struggling to agree with you. At that particular time, I argued on radio in favor of what the Bush regime was doing, and I anchored it specifically to the fact that Todam Hussein claimed at one point that he or at least hinted strongly at one point that he had weapons of mass destruction, and on that basis where the words came from his own lips, I thought that validated what they were doing. Why was I wrong?
Speaker 3: Weapons of mass destruction is not a reason the slaughter a foreign nation. I mean, many, if not most, of the garments in the world, certainly the ones that are not in the Third World, have a lot of weapons. Somewhech would be classified as weapons of mass destruction. Simply because he possessed weapons did not give the American garment the right to kill tens of thousands of Iranqis if they had had weapons of mass destruction, unless they were using them against UH, using them to launch an attack against the US, the US had no right to go after him.
Speaker 2: His intention, though at the time was conveyed as being one of doing exactly that, was it not?
Speaker 3: And who was it who was conveying his intention him? I don't I don't think he was. I mean he made a lot of mistakes. He was. He was a ruthless dictator. H he killed a lot of innocent Iraqis, but I don't think that he ever said things that would have been justifiable pretext for US invasion.
Speaker 2: All right, let me let me stretch this just a little longer. So the the Iranians are undoubtedly unquestionably working on nuclear weapon weaponry.
Speaker 3: What's your source?
Speaker 2: Multiple sources? Are they credible? Well, it's a mean, I take your question. I've thought about it. I have thought about it constantly. Let me put it this way. We know what the what the Iranians are doing in supporting various groups like Hezballah over a period of time, and that their intentions, the intentions of the present administration, and it's been there for some time to wipe out Israel. Would you accept that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I mean, then what's what's your what's your source?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Uh, there's there's a lot of alternative sources on the news. I mean, I think it's a bad government. Uh, it's a very oppressive government. But it's a part of the world where almost all the governments are bad and oppressive.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they're the biggest, they're the biggest, the biggest supporters of of terror, certainly in that part of the world, if not elsewhere.
Speaker 3: What is your definition of terror. Is it only private groups, because if you include government, governments do a hell of a lot more terrorizing than private groups.
Speaker 2: Would you accept that there is a danger that the Iranians might be behind a forthcoming attack on America and a nine eleven Is that possible?
Speaker 3: It's possible that they and a lot of other nations and other groups could attempt to launch another attack on the US. But it doesn't build confidence that it took US fifteen years to see the confidential Congress report linking the Saudi government to the nine to eleven attacks. I mean, you know, there were so many levels of so many shovels of bs that the US government and a lot of the American media did to avoid fingering the Saudis on the nine to eleven attacks. And the US government is still blocking lawsuits seeking to discover to discover the full extent of Saudi's support for the hijackers. Fifteen of the nineteen were Saudi's but that fact practically vanished once George W. Bush and Cheney said, Hey, it was Saddan. So, I mean, I don't trust folks who are trying to drag us into another war.
Speaker 2: Well, I have some sympathy with that. But my final point is if we accept that, I do that Iran has ambitions beyond its entitlementers. Okay, the different when they develop nuclear capability, they are going to be much harder to deal with. Would you approve then, if any administration of the United States, or for that matter, the Israelis with American backing, took out their nuclear capabilities before they reached the goal.
Speaker 3: No, I would not do that because for over twenty years we've been hearing that the Iranians are two or three or four years away from having nuclear weapons. There have been so many false claims on this, and I think it would be folly to go into another Middle Eastern war with the nation that was a whole lot bigger than Iraq, and the US basically lost the Iraq war, that lost the Afghanistan war. And I don't see, you know what best out of three or best out of five here or what I mean. I don't see any reason for the US to intervene because things have worked out very badly for the US and for the nations where they intervened.
Speaker 2: So what would your advice be if you had Easia to the next president with regard to dealing with the Iranians.
Speaker 3: With regard to dealing with the Iranians, I mean I would I'd keep an eye on them. I would definitely keep an eye on them and see what they're up to. But it's not like we can afford to. You know, the the basic basic problem that has plagued the US foreign policy for decades is this notion that the US has a right and a duty to scourge any foreign threats. And uh, and it's been and it's it's a kind of notion that bligns Americans to the failures and follies of US foreign policy. And they're being a hell of a lot more than Congress or the American media recognize.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Let me ask you some quick questions. Having mentioned Michelle Obama already, who would you who would you choose or who would you rather see as the president if it came down to Michelle Obama and Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is a great choice. I mean, this is like, you know, there's a good comic comparison here. It's like, uh, and and second prize is two weeks in Philadelphia, right, yes, uh yeah, I I you know, they're both bad choices. So However, I think if either one of them is nominated then they will not win.
Speaker 2: So no, no, no, But if there was, I'm asking you which one you would prefer not to have.
Speaker 3: Well, Harris has more of a record as far as working for the government. The abuses that she committed as a prosecutor in California shouldn't have disqualified her forever, But they haven't.
Speaker 2: Extraordinary, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yep? Biden, Well this is sorry, No, please go ahead.
Speaker 2: The Biden clan, I'm talking the whole family, you know, Camp David and what have you. The Biden clan do have issues that need to be dealt with? Do you not think.
Speaker 3: Like thievery and money laundering and collecting all kinds of bribes, those kinds of issues. Yeah, that'll do for stuff. Yeah, it'll do for a start. But here again, this is this is something with that Supreme Court decision. Well, he was in office, and so it'd be kind of rude to prosecute, but it was kind of official because because he was seeing the president of China, this, that and the other. Yeah, I mean it used to be that presidents were like people understood that the rule of law means that no one is above the law. But with the Supreme Court decision today, and with a trend in this country for decades, not only do you have presidents who are above the law, you've got a vast number of top government officials who can commit crimes with impunity.
Speaker 2: Is it impunity because nobody will pursue them.
Speaker 3: That's how impunity normally works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, not because they're protected by the law, but because nobody wants to Well to this point, nobody wants to take the head off the beast.
Speaker 3: You know, as some of both. I mean, but there's another wrinkle here, and that is a secrecy. The US government is creating trillions of phases of new secrets every year. That's equivalent to twenty billion filing cabinets full of double space pages. So government is committing more crimes than Americans will ever know. And so that's one more way that the deck is stacked against preserving our rights and liberties.
Speaker 2: What to quote you from your own work. Rather than the rule of law, we have a government of threats, intimidation, and browbeating. Government of the people defaulted into government for the people, which degenerated into perennially punishing people for their own good. Twenty five years ago, Supreme Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg warned against permitting federal agencies the extraordinary authority to manufacture crimes? Has that got? That was twenty five years ago? How much worse is it?
Speaker 3: Got? A whole lot worse, a whole lot worse. If you look at a lot of gun violations, there's a lot of entreatment and those things drug case have been entrapment from the get go. It often happens when you're trying to do nail people for non violent or crimes of consent where people were selling something the government doesn't improve. You set somebody up. But no, I mean, there's just so many different sting operations. You've had the FBI setting up people, setting up people to do Ku Klux Klan protests with the FBI informants in charge. You've got the FBI paying for neo Nazi propaganda in some cases. You've got the FBI covering for all kinds of horrendous folks that help the FBI generate more cases.
Speaker 2: How much was the FBI involved in January sixth?
Speaker 3: You know, I wish I knew, I wish I knew. I think that they were involved a hell of a lot more than media's admitted. There were so many warning signs that were disregarded, they were involved in it. It would be great if we knew. Here we are three and a half years later and the governments has succeeded in covering up most of its role, and that ruckus.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, you've just triggered something I hadn't even thought of. Trump has said that rather rapidly after gaining office he would release the files on the Kennedy murder. What do you think those What do you think is in those files?
Speaker 3: Lots of dirt? But Trump said, you do that last time too. Trump was making a big shortly before he left office. Trump made a big deal about all these federal documents he was going to release, but he got rolled. He didn't do it.
Speaker 2: Do you not think that this time around he's in a much different position to what he was for the first term, that he can capitalize on the knowledge that that he garnered during that period and the lessons that he learned.
Speaker 3: That rush and brings to mind my favorite line from Samuel Johnson about the triumph of hope over experience.
Speaker 2: Mmm. I felt there was something personal in that comment.
Speaker 3: No, it's just, uh, I would I would like to see you know, I'd be happy if Trump gets if if Trump does get elected, if he opens up these files and opens up these secrets. And I guess I'm I'm I'm skeptical because because a lot of the people that Trump has put around him and has has endorsed. There's a guy, a Congressman Mike Rogers, running from Michigan. He's going up against the guy who's really good, former Congressman Justin Mamash, who was great on civil liberties. But Mike Rogers was the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee. I think when Edward Snowden did his leagues and this is a paraphrase, I think I'm doing it injustice. But Rogers said something to the fact, well, if people don't know that they're privacy has been violated, then their privacy really hasn't been violated. And it sounded kind of like the slogan that you hear from some guy that used date rape drugs, because.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have thought of that. Thank goodness, you.
Speaker 3: Have a much loftier mind than I do. That's the difference in this entire interview. You know, that's where the disconnet comes from You're you're way up there amount olympus and I'm just just a muck raker.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: I was trying to make a joke. It didn't work very well. Feel free to edit it out if you want.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm just too busy trying to think of where we're going because I want to get a couple more things in before we conclude. Trump has yet to announce who his running mate will be. It's a pretty wide open field, and there's all sorts of arguments for all sorts of different people. Is there anybody that stands out for you?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it'd be great if he would choose Rand Paul is his running mate. That would be a real boost of confidence. Mike Lee would also be very good. Uh, basically, as far as someone who would give would have a very good compass on foreign policy, Center Vance would be good. A wild card would be Tulci Gavn, former Democratic congresswoman, but that's probably not gonna happen. There's lots of people whose names I'm seeing Benny about are utterly chilling, But give me a.
Speaker 2: Couple of those. Nikki Haley interesting why she's a warmonger. Do you think she would influence him that much?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I mean, you know, Trump is interesting. He's very intelligent, but in his you know, his in his initial term, perhaps his only term, but his first term. Anyhow, he didn't seem to pay that much attention to the details of government policy. He was busy tweeting and you know, watching Fox News, and it's like, you know, dude, you know, how about you put some control. It seemed like he just handed the keys to his administration to a son in law and his daughter, and it's like, you know, well, you know, good luck with this. That's an overstatement, but you know, he didn't do that well. But it was always a man issues in which he was pretty good. What's that?
Speaker 2: I think it was a bad look, the dreadful look. Dredful. So I want to throw a name at you and get your immediate reaction. John Radcliffe, Oh.
Speaker 3: You know on the it's ringing a small bell. Where's the bell?
Speaker 2: National Security advisor? Okay, he was involved in national security?
Speaker 3: Okay? And what him is VP or what?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't know enough to react.
Speaker 2: Okay, and that's fair enough. So probably finally I'm intrigued in your view of the developments in the Julian Massange case.
Speaker 3: Okay, Biden is you know there was a line and I wrote about this last week and I said, this is one of the areas where the Biden administration has been slightly less odious than the Trump administration, because it was a Trump administration that indicted him and hounded him. There was a USA Today article I did I guess six years ago that set of it that that said, instead of an indictment, Julian Nissan should get a Presidential Medal of Freedom for all the things that he exposed, helping Americans understand their government and the failures of US interventions in many countries.
Speaker 2: I have members of my family who are ex military, and just then for a start, I think otherwise, but I am I used them as an example of the fact that I've actually got had a bit of conversation with regard to this. But it's mostly military people or military connections who think otherwise and think that he should have been locked up for life or whatever. The fact that he the fact that he ended up not being Do you really think it was Biden's decision, because I don't.
Speaker 3: I think that the Biden people recognize that they could be embarrassed hugely by defeat in British court on whether he would be extradited. There was there was some impact from the media campaign, some of the top papers and outlets here pushing for assigns for the charges to be dropped. I don't know what other strings were being pulled. I mean, you know, this is a good example. Okay, so it was. It was a good decision, But how many years is it going to be until we find out what really happened? Five years, ten years, maybe after both of us are dead.
Speaker 2: Well, the same thing applies, I suppose to the to the Kennedy records.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and that's the perfect example, because what the Chief Justice, Earl Warren, head of the Warrant Commission and others did. They had this big investigation and then sealed the records for seventy five years. I mean, this is complete bs. I mean that standard policy. I guess in Britain with the Official Secrets Act, maybe not the same number of years, but it makes a travesy of democracy. If folks don't know what the government is doing in their name, then they might as well be serfs in the Middle Ages.
Speaker 2: Again, I want to quote from last rites. School children are being sacrificed on an altar of social justice, from no child left behind to common core. Federal dictats have subverted academic standards and squanted billions of ours of our kids' lives. Teacher unions have worked to destroy local control of education, prevent teacher account ability, deny parents any voice, any voice in their children's education, and pointlessly shut down schools during the pandemic in lieu of literacy. Government schools are redefining gender and indoctrinating kids with values that many parents detest. When mothers and fathers raised hell at school board meetings, the Biden administration and the FBI labeled them as terrorst suspects and treated some of them, I will add, and treated some of them accordingly.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I mean I knew that was going on, but I read that paragraph and I was It seriously got to me, how on earth.
Speaker 3: How on earth had this happened? Government schools. Teacher unions are some of the strongest unions in this country. They have really rolled a lot of the opposition. They've turned the schools, and especially in big cities where the schools are worse, where kids are at least likely to learn how to read to teacher unions have got the almost unlimited sway and it's it was fascinating to see how they shut down. There were all these protests by teachers they would have Teachers were outraged that they would have any risk when they went back to school during the pandemic. I mean, other workers had to accept the risk, but the teachers wanted to have their full salary and have these zoom classes where that were a complete failure and it did the greatest harm to low income kids that might not have good internet connections. So and then there's the other thing that the that the schools have gone on a crusade they are ignoring, like the phonics method for teaching reading, part of the reason that reading skills have gone so bad here, and instead they're just encouraging kids in kindergarten to question their own gender. I mean, this is this is I mean, it's a full employment program for therapists and it's an absolute travesy and there's so many loud is being messed up by this, and it's.
Speaker 2: An insanity yep. So the latest book, which came out a few months ago, is called Last Rights based on the book Thirty years Ago, Lost Rights, Last Rights, the Death of American Liberty. Why would why would people in this part of the world, New Zealand, Australia. I got a reasonable audience in America too, by the way, But in this part of the world, why would they know?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 2: Why what would they get from reading that book?
Speaker 3: I think it'd be of interest to anyone in English speaking nations or other nations where you've got democratic or semi democratic nations where the government is seizing so much power, it's making a travacy of the constitution and people's rights are being lost every passing year. There are a lot of parallels. Uh, for instance, the the the chapter in the book Last Rice on COVID policy, a lot of parallels to what happened in Australia and New Zealand. Same type of hissoria we had Fauci here. I'm sure there were other demagogues in Australians in some of these states. Is it called states, provinces.
Speaker 2: States states in Australia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean there were a couple of states I was reading about and it was just it was bizarre how far the power stretched, and.
Speaker 2: That would have been Victoria just for a stop.
Speaker 3: Okay. Well, and there's the the chapter and gun control in there. I've got a discussion on the Second Amendment that talks about how firearms are a are an insurance policy against tyranny, because if the government takes away all your means means to resist, then your your cannon fodder for them. They can do whatever they want. And it's something the Founding Father is recognized. There's some one wonderful quotes from early American history because this is how the Americans beat the British in the seventeen seventies and seventeen eighties. But it's almost as if we're supposed to hate guns because people might resist the garment. But you know, if you look at history, there's a lot of garments that deserve resisting.
Speaker 2: Absolutely true, Jim. It's been well over now and it's been most enjoyable. I feel like I want to go on for longer, but I shan't stress you, but we'll do it again, hopefully in another three years. It's been a privilege.
Speaker 3: Oh well, it's a privilege for me to talk to such a great host who's famous, famous in multiple countries for your long record of top quality stuff. So and thanks for your thoughtful questions that pushed me to think a little bit and almost push me to the edge of my cynicism. That would be a victory or perhaps so Thank you and you take care, thanks so much having me on.
Speaker 2: Thank you Jack.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: The name of the company is Wet and Forget, and we all know why because the original product that Wet and Forget began to produce was Wet and Forget Moss and mold remover. But there's two kinds of Wet and Forget that you can purchase. There is the Wet and Forget, the original moss and mold remover, and there is the rapid application Wet and Forget. Now they have exactly the same active ingredient and they'll cover a similar area. It is only the actual application using the revolutionary reach nozzle that is so different. Rapid Application is non caustic and non acidic, and it contains absolutely no bleach none. Rapid Application is your concentrate and garden sprayer all in one. The most outstanding feature of Rapid Application is its reach nozzle, with its unparalleled reach of eight meters or if you like, two stories without using a ladder for a large concrete driveways, paths, et cetera. A quick change on the revolutionary reach novel gives you an incredibly fast application, more than fifty times that of a garden sprayer. So where do you get Wet and Forget? From Wet and Forgets over twenty standalone company stores nationwide. You can order online at wetinfiget dot co dot NZ ring them eight hundred and three zero three thousand, and don't forget. You can buy Wet and Forget in America, Britain, Australia and of course the Homeland, New Zealand. Now it's no fun doing the mail room on your own. It's not what it was intended for. But here are a couple maybe three letters that I shall dispatch my missus producer will be back in a couple of weeks. I watched the first twenty twenty four American presidential debate twice because I couldn't believe what I saw the first time round. I couldn't believe how unbiased the CNN moderators were. They gave reasonably fair treatment to both Trump and Biden. Secondly, I couldn't believe how bad Biden was. He was like a man with stage four Alzheimer's stuttering repeatedly and forgetting what he was saying mid sentence. Thirdly, I couldn't believe how witty Trump was. He was smashing back funny zingers and memorable one liners at a sitting possum that was Biden. Biden was the possum to Trump's headlights. In a post debate analysis, Daily Wire's CEO said something utterly profound. He said something along the following lines. Donald Trump initially ran for president in twenty sixteen, expecting he'd lose, and he won. Trump then ran for president in twenty twenty, expecting he'd win, and he lost. Trump now runs for president in twenty twenty four knowing he has to win. Indeed, if Biden or Kamada Harris wins the twenty twenty four election, America will lose her very soul. And then, on a completely different note, did you hear Tucker Carlson's brutal one liner on Jacinda Adern at his recent speech in Australia? Wow? Talk about zingers? I think I did, actually, but a couple of comments. Couldn't believe how unbiased the CNN moderators were. They gave fairly. They gave reasonably fair treatment to both Trump and Biden. True, that was my feeling too. Then somebody drew attention to the fact that there were and I can't remember the numbers now, how many questions twenty two questions, I think, And there were percentages of questions that were directed favorably for Biden, and the number that were favorable towards towards Trump were far fewer. I can't remember the numbers, but you get my drift. The other point was that he was like a man was a stage for Alzheimer's. No, he's more advanced than that. Apparently, what I gather he is in stage five. The estimation is that he's in stage five of seven stages of Alzheimer's. So not a good look now from Eileen. The father of communism, Karl Marx defined communism as the abolition of private property. So do we really want to enact animal farm here in New Zealand? Good luck for the future of our food production under that hammer. Climate change Marxists are essentially social activists, posing as guardians of the environment while they live up large as Champagne socialists, big carbon footprints in their designer footwear as well dedicated followers of fast Fashion with a special twist lurid green hypocrisy. Well, I don't know that the Champagne socialists Chardonnay, maybe not Champagne. I don't think they could afford Champagne, and I suppose if they did have it, it was probably shoplisted, if you get my drift. And then, finally, in this very short mail room, thank you both for the podcast, but please don't bring mister Trump into the conversations. Sorry to say it makes me wonder if you're getting contributions to include him and shore up support while we've got an audience in the US, I don't think the numbers are big enough to make a difference. I'm desperately wanting New Zealanders to take on board a lot of what is talked about in your podcasts, and I occasionally forward them in the hope that they make a difference or at least in form because we can't rely on our media. Having Trump as an opening topic would put a lot of people off, and rightly so. Yes, most of us don't know much about American politics, but what we do know is in the past your subject has proven over and over his arrogance, and in my book, humility is a far greater trait. Thank you again and hoping you'll stick to the huge concerns that we have here in our own country. Look forward to your next podcast. Very grateful for Oliver Hart, which is perspective and experience. Sincerely hope he stays put and doesn't add to the brain drain.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I concur with you on that point, and I can only suggest that you're going to have to be selective in what you forward on because Trump is going to feature ever more so in the next few months. It is unavoidable, and there is good reason for it too. And I hope that you enjoyed the interview today. You say that most New Zealanders or many New Zealanders don't Yes, most of us don't know much about American politics. I've worked over the years to try and assist in that regard. Maybe I'm failing, And that would appear to be the right place and time to introduce the article that I may mention of the introduction with regard to the decision by the Supreme Court as it's called this historic Presidential Immunity decision, and the author is Jonathan Turley, who is a very successful professor of law. He is a Democrat, has been a democrat, is still a Democrat. But he has to be about the most intelligent Democrat that exists anyway. He is more concerned, I think, than anything else with the Constitution and its retention in its original form at appropriate interpretations thereof. He writes columns for various organizations, including The New York Post, and this is where this particular article finished. He has a prelude on his website to this, but I think I should cut straight to the column itself. Within minutes of the Supreme Court's decision on presidential immunity, liberal politicians and pundits seem to move from hyperpose to hyperventilation when not breathing into paperbags. Critics predicted again the end of the republic. CNN's Van Jones declared that it was quote almost a license to thug in a way. Senator Richard Blumenthal declared, my stomach turns with fear and anger that our democracy can be so endangered by an out of controled court close quote, and denounced six justices as extreme and nakedly partisan hacks politicians in robes. Limenthal has previously shown greater intestinal fortitude as when he threatened the justices that they would either rule as Democrats demanded or face seismic changes to their court. Jones warned the justices that politically it's bad for them to rule this way. The comment captures the misguided analysis of many media outlets. The Supreme Court was designed to be unpopular to take stands that are politically unpopular but constitutionally correct. Indeed, Democrats have become the very threat that the Court was meant to resist. Recently, senators demanded the Chief Justice, John Roberts peer to answer to them for his decisions. Roberts wisely declined. Senate Majority leader Chuck Schumer previously declared in front of the Supreme Court, this is out the front of the building. I want to tell you Gossich. I want to tell you Kavanagh, you have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price. Leveling threats at the justices of the Supreme Court. Now, Representative Alexandria Acasia Cortez announced that she will seek the impeachment of all six of the Conservative judges. She was immediately joined by other Democrat members. Notably, scholars have long disregarded where to draw the line on presidential immunity. The Court adopted a middle approach that rejected rejected extreme arguments on both sides. Yet, because Ecazio Cortez disagrees with their decision, she's declared that this is an assault on American democracy. It's up to Congress to defend our nation from this authoritarian gamchare. Previously, Acazio Cortez admitted that she doesn't understand why we even have a Supreme Court. She asked, how much does the current structure benefit us? I don't think it does. Other members, such as Senator Elizabeth Warren, have called for the packing of the court with additional members to immediately secure a liberal majority to rule as she desires. For these pundits and politicians, justice is merely an extension of politics and subject to the whims of the majority. These are the same voices who chastised to Judge Eileen Cannon for slow walking her decisions by holding hearings on constitutional questions. They pointed to Judge Tanya Chutkam, who supported the efforts of Special Counsel Jacksmith to try Trump before the election, turning her court into a rockets docket. Indeed, at the oral argument. Chief Justice Roberts marveled at the conclusory analysis by Patricia Ann Millet in upholding Chutkin. He reverred to the opinion celebrated by the left as little more than declaring a former president can be prosecuted because he's being prosecuted. Chutkin and the d C Circuit were fast, but ultimately wrong. Indeed, the Supreme Court noted that the judge created little record for the basis of her decisions. In a perverted sense, democrats are giving the public a powerful lesson in constitutional law. As Alexander Hamilton stated in The Federalists Number seventy eight, judicial independence is the best expedient which can be devised in any government to secure a steady, upright, and impartial administration of laws. This is the moment that the Framers envisaged in creating the Court under Article three of the Constitution. It would be our bulwark even when politicians lose faith in our constitution and seek to dictate justice for those who they dislike. In my new book, The Indispensable Right Free Speech in an Age of Rage, I discuss other such moments in our history. This is not our first age of rage, During periods of intense fear or anger, people often turn on free speech and other rights as inconvenient and outdated. We've heard the same voices of the faithless today. MSNBC commentator Eli Mistel has called the Constitution trash, and I argued that we should simply dump it. Law professors Ryan Doffler of Harvard and Samuel Moyne of Yale called for the Constitution to be radically altered to reclaim America from constitutionalism. None of these threats or bloviating will work. The Court is designed to stand against everyone and everything except the Constitution. It was forged for this moment, and Jonathan Turley is the JB. And Borris C. Shapiro Professor of Public Interest Law at the George Washington University School of Law. I think that column lays it out as well as anybody can on what the situation is, why it's happening, and why the Constitution is what term what matters more than anything else. It's been a very, very busy week on the news front, and I can only imagine it's going to be maintained for a period of time. So we shall see what happens in the next few days. And as much that could, and take our leave from two forty five. So if you'd like to correspond with us Layton at NEWSTALKSB dot co dot NZ, Latin at newstalks AB dot co dot NZ, or Carolyn at NEWSTALKSZNB dot co dot com in Z. We shall return for podcast two hundred and forty six very shortly. Until then, as always, thank you for listening and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you for more from News Talks ed B. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio