Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Take another Patrick, It is out, the Test is over. Couldn't smokes a beauty?
Speaker 3: This is out and here he goes.
Speaker 2: This delivery has in.
Speaker 3: Many users to goold.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Coney powered by News Talks head b at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Hello on the front Poots. This week, what is the future of Test cricket? Well, I went for our a team in Bangladesh. Will be no more Test cricket for Verrat Coley and another unusual outcome in short form cricket and will us once again is Jerry Katy and Jerry. I don't know whether you be watching the New Zealand a great terror for them. Sometimes you wonder whether the result is that important that the amount of cricket and what they're getting out of it, rather than wins and losses. That is the way I seem to think about it, anyway.
Speaker 3: I think, so what's high?
Speaker 4: Look, it seems as though some of the batsmen are obviously going a bit better than the others. It seems like our bowlers have got their work cut out. They obviously finished the one day series with a victory, which should make them feel a lot better going into the longer formats now. And they've already had a day, haven't they they? I saw sort of two twenty for eight. Is that about right? I didn't see any of it yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the four day game played on the same venue, Selects, which is sort of just south of Daka, getting a little bit closer to the coast as well. But the fact that they had that win was significant for them changing the team around. I've given everybody a run. I like the idea of Ashok and Lenox getting plenty of bowling and getting work. It's Dean Foxcroft has come to the forefront as a all rounder offspinner and somebody who's providing good runs. We've thought of him as a sort of a big hitter and a man who can score at a fast pace. But you know, we may be seeing the best part of his game because in the first day of the four day he was one of the saviors along with Mitch Hay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's He's not runs every time he's batted, hasn't he? Foxcroft?
Speaker 4: He's more I've so far thought of him as sort of top top order almost three and four, hasn't he where he's batted for Otago and for New Zealand A in the past. Here they're using him presumably as an all rounder more, batting down at sort of eight, and it seems to be he, you know, working very well and he's also picking up wickets with his off spinners in the one day as anyway, so he's having a good tour. Mitch Hay's got a couple of innings now under his belt. We know what he's like as a keeper as well. Some of the bowlers they have done Lennox you mentioned. I think he's looked interesting as a left arm orthodox and Addie Ashock. You always like to have one legie, don't you if you can in your country, to to sort of challenge things and do differently when you need, perhaps those Asian tours. So's he's a fairly important young man as well. So yeah, I think things are you know, well, let's wait and see how this one goes. They got put in on what on a on a rainy kind of day? Was it because it's coming near, it's coming near, you know, the monsoons isn't it really over there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was difficult conditions, but you know that's the important part of these tours, that they are being forced to work a little bit harder, and you know that's I think it's great and we'll get a chance at some stage. It's difficult to get through and have a conversation with Paul Wiseman about how they're going, but certainly these are the players we've got to watch. I don't know if you had a chance to have a look at it. I know you've been resting up and looking after your body for a long winter. Stince, Jerry, did you see Did you see the five penalty runs in that third salt? You must have seen it.
Speaker 3: I did once. I did see it.
Speaker 4: Very very unusual position for a keeper to take up looking for it, because there was also a slip there wasn't there.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, the keeper.
Speaker 2: Who was standing at first slip.
Speaker 3: It's just extraordinary.
Speaker 4: The keeper left his post and went over to a first slip position and there was also a slip beside him as well as a second slip if you like. Yeah, and so lying on the ground, well, he forgot to take the helmet with him, didn't he yeah, not normally, I suppose. And of course I wasnt Mario batting or someone like that, wasn't it who just let the ball go? Yeah and yeah, and through she went, took the helmet that but bounced and away it went. So five runs, dead ball, And okay, it's quite weird.
Speaker 3: The whole thing. Obviously the keeper forgot to take it, take it with him.
Speaker 2: There wasn't only so much that he forgot to take it with him. He didn't even make an effort to dive and stop. He just stood there. It was like those social games we used to play with a wicket keeper, unless the ball came directly to him, you know, it was waved on the way down of the boundary as it went past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yours, Well, there is a bit of that.
Speaker 4: I've heard Parkerd tell the story when he was standing at slip one stage and it just got a wee bit wide for the keeper and he didn't come across. And he did he cried out yours quite early, and Parks has.
Speaker 3: Let it go, I think.
Speaker 4: But it's an interesting one because where else would you put the helmet? I thought to myself, you could leave it immediately behind the stumps, But then there might be a trouble, mightn't there with the keeper safe for a runout running up to the stumps or moving around the stumps to collect the throw, that might disturb the helmet and then the bales. Or you could leave it maybe behind the umpire. You want to have it fairly close because it's for a close in fielder, isn't it really. I mean you can put it anywhere you like on the ground.
Speaker 2: Could be the keeper's helmet as well. Sometimes they have them and take them off too, don't they.
Speaker 4: They do, they do, And when a spinner is operating, of course they usually got a helmet on, haven't they. And sometimes if there's no close in fielder it's close in catcher, they don't have a helmet there for the field as they run it on. Yeah, it's an interesting one, I suppose with the umpire again, it's the same thing of him moving out of the way once runners taken as well.
Speaker 3: It's a bit of an issue. So I think it's probably in the best position.
Speaker 4: Behind the behind the keeper because that's where he's supposed to be stationed.
Speaker 3: And strange part of it until he moves to first slip. It looked weird. Didn't it look absolutely weird.
Speaker 2: I can remember a game that I played in many many years ago when a part time keeper or sorry, a part time stopper was playing for the Wellington Wanderers, and the Wanderers just happened to have a fellow called Archie Taylor in his younger year, so you know how far back we're going, and another guy called Jason J. Parson John Parsons from John. Yeah, they were the quickest around the Wellington region at the time. And the guy, I won't mention his name when to put the gloves on even though they had another couple of wicket teams in this a guy called alis To Botting who was a good, wicked killer and I wouldn't be surprised that TG was there. But this fellow put the gloves on it because he was going to be the key. It didn't want to go running around the outfield, and he stood up to the stumps to Archie Taylor and Archie to stop. Halfway through his rap, he said, do you know I bowled quite quick? And the keeper said, yeah, I'll be right, I'll be able to cope, And of course the first one went swinging down the leg side and he just turned his head and watched it and go down to the boundary for four and he took a couple of places back. And that is a true story. I kid you not. So wow, I've seen it happened. But it was just amazing to see five penalty runs because in a close game that can cost you dearly.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: The World Test Championship, we talked about it last week. Was the editor Lawrence Booth joined on the front foot and detailed in his review of the Cricket Year thing called his editor's note it's anitatorial I suppose he had some gathing criticism of the ICC. He suggested the plan to a World Test Championship, called it a shambles masquerading as a show piece. He wants to change things double at SLINKs the four years, like football and rugby said, and ensure the top nine in the rankings all play each other, so that's a nine team competition. And he wants a home and away over the series of at least three years. Anything he said. But Barclay's mess, well that's a reference to Greg Barclay, who was the president before Jay Shah before we we have a bit of a chair about it during It's Welcome Lawrence Beck because he's glad that he was able to come and join us again this week and explain how his plan was shaping. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, I think there should be a World Test Championship. I just don't like the way it's configured at the moment. So as it stands, it's a league effectively, but different teams play different numbers of games against different opponents. Now that that isn't satisfactory as far as I'm concerned. Every team should play the same number of matches against the same opponents so that by the end of it you have a symmetrical fair system where you can you can say that the best two teams have risen to the final as things stand. I mean South Africa, I mean fair play to them. They beat the opponents in front of them and have got to the final where they play Australia. And it's not their fault that they didn't get long Test series against Australia India, and that's the greed of the Big three who carve it up to suit themselves. But we still have a situation where South Africa, who sent effectively a C team to New Zealand at the start of the cycle of you'll remember that well, of course, and gave the Zealand their first ever series win against South Africa. Partly as a result of that. They might have beaten them anyway, but it devalued that series. And then South Africa in their fourth coming home winter or home summer, do not play a home Test match. They have five T twenties against West Indies. We're talking here about the team that has reached the final of the World Test Championship. Now what we need is my suggestion in wisdom is to play, is to expand the cycle to four years. It's currently two four years works very well in rugby and football, and it gives the World Cups a certain stature, certain scarcity value. Expanded four years and that would allow each team, probably i'd say the top nine to play each other home and away in a series of a minimum of three tests. They forget these two tests, nonsense, three tests. You have a proper test series and by the end of it we'll know that it's a fair it's a fair draw. At the moment they are muddling through. Look, it's better than nothing. An imperfect World Test Championship it's better than no World Test Championship. And I accept that we have a problem now increasingly so with India against Pakistan and what to do about that. You could play those on neutual territory, but I can see that lots of people in Indian cricket are saying we shouldn't play them, play Pakistan at all in any form of cricket after the Kashmir atrocity from a few weeks ago. So that is clearly a logistical problem. But I think as a basic principle it should be fairer and more symmetrical.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because a four years there's still got to be enough windows to play test cricket. Danger they seem to struggle to find that window. Is there a danger that they might shorten Test matches to four days in length? There's been talk about that in the past, It's been dismissed. Sometimes there are only four days in the Test, but five days as of WOWED, so that you can complete a Test match in it, and we've seen some wonderful results over that period of time. Is there going to be enough time? Will the world cricketing bodies want to go with that format?
Speaker 5: Well, as you say, I think four day cricket might might end up being a solution, whether we like it or not. What you could do then clearly is you could have Test matches in three successive weeks with a bit of time in between for rest and recuperation, and if a day is lost to rain, you just tag it on to the end. You know, you say we turn it into a fifth day. You'd have to get overrates up. I mean at the moment. You know, if you're a seam if you're a seam bowling side like England or New Zealand, you're struggling to get more than eighty two eighty three overs in a day. If you're a spin bowling team, that that's fine, But so you'd have to say, look, you've got to get through overs more quickly because you'd probably need ninety six overs a day rather than the current ninety. That may be the way it has to go to fit it in. Again, it's imperfect, but it might be better than the scenario we have where teams are playing two match series and they're there's kind of they feel meaningless. But it comes back to the earlier point as making about the spread of money in a Test match. Fund And if teams are allowed to make a bit of a loss in Test cricket because they knew they were financially supported and that they were that money was coming in from a white ball game, you could tolerate a three match series more easily. It just needs a bit of collaboration between the boards. It can be done if there's a will. The problem is everyone's chasing money, Brian, Everyone's chasing their own T twenty solution. You know, New Zealand cricket getting into bed with Major League cricket is the latest example of how teams are trying to future proof themselves against the loss of bilateral TV rights. So I'm frobly talking idealistically here when the cricketing world is getting on pragmatically with the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because it's just starting point anyway for the discussion from your discussions around the U. Okay, how many people are of a similar opinion or are they a divided group of people who want to do something else?
Speaker 5: No, I mean Test cricket still is the format here. I mean, you know, you watch a Test match in England and the grounds are packed out. Now the grounds in England aren't as big as the grounds in Australia, but you're still talking about thirty thousand at Lord's and twenty six twenty seven thousand at the Oval. The English Test cricket still routinely sells out and that is the format that people want to see thrive. The problem we've got is that the ECB, the English and Wales Cricket board know very well that the easiest solution to that is to play five match series against India in Australia. I mean this calendar year, England have a one off four day Test actually against Zimbabwe in Nottingham at the end of May, and after that their test program is five home tests against India and five in Australia to try and get the ashes back. So it is already happening to a degree. They're talking the ECBER talking about more longer Test series against other nations. We'll see, we'll see whether that happens. But there is a will to save Test cricket. It's just whether there can be a kind of global will to do it.
Speaker 2: Just a last word on the Test Championship, do you see it being run in two groups? A group and then a lower tier Because there's been a resistance to vet from the sides that would come in to the lower tier and the likes of West Indies we're talking about that, wren't.
Speaker 5: They Yeah, I don't like tears. I think there's Test cricket is more competitive than the people realize. You know, West Indies squared the series against Australia last year. In Australia, no one gave them a chance. In hell Bangladesh one in Pakistan, no one thought that would happen. Sermnanka won a Test match at the Oval against England New Zealand as we're talking earlier, winning three nil in India. West Indies squared the series in Pakistan. It's far more competitive than people give it credit for. So I think if we go down the two tiers system, we will exacerbate the gap between the haves and the have not. That is precisely the scenario I would like to see Test cricket avoid. I think we all need to work together to promote Test cricket and if we can convince people that it's a marketable, watchable format, then maybe the TV companies will get more involved as well and more money will come in that way. Let's not give up on Test cricket. If we go down two divisions, two tiers, whatever they decided, that gap will grow and it will simply hasten the demise of the smaller nations.
Speaker 2: Yes, will be interesting. We will be looking to have a discussion about that in this part of the world because I think there is a group of people that are traditionalists to the heart and they love the game. We love it when England coming out because they bring the Bami Army in all the tour groups and we have a wonderful time. We wish England could come out every year because the last two was successful. This year we've got kiss matches against Zimbabwe and I think a couple against the West Indies. That's basically it. And you mentioned South Africa in terms of their home program and you're gearing up for a test mat against Zimbabwe very shortly.
Speaker 5: That's right. And you know it's nice they're playing Zimbabwe for a one off test. I mean, I don't know exactly what it will achieve in the long run, but at least it's England. I mean, it's our first Test against Zimbabwe for twenty two years, so at least that shows they haven't forgotten them. But of course it might just be window dressing. I don't know what you know, how all the Zimbabwean players, how are they going to become proper test players if they just play a one off test here and there and then a couple against Bangladesh or Ireland. I mean, it's a problem that the World Cricket hasn't got to grips with.
Speaker 2: Oh well, the good thing is that New Zealand are hitting over there for a couple of Test matches and then they'll get that opportunity. And I think that the likes of Zimbabwe and even Afghanistan are on the future program for New Zealand or so we just have to hope that those sides can take part.
Speaker 3: Brian Waddell Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 2: Interesting concept from Lawrence Bruth and thanks very much Lawrence for joining us once again. I tend to think we probably agree in many aspects of what's needed to be done. But how to achieve it, I think is going to be the challenge, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Well totally I'm with you on that. I have sympathy for the proposal. Why it's fair all sides, It's easy to follow.
Speaker 4: You get a feeling that after the four year cycle that the two best sides.
Speaker 3: Will contest the final.
Speaker 4: The four year term doesn't bother me really, It's like, as you say, World Cut, ODIs and a lot of other competitions around tournaments.
Speaker 3: And so on, lots of them use it.
Speaker 4: So I guess I would also have to admit that it's because I played Test cricket and because I've always regarded Test cricket as this of the challenge that a player confronts, and you know, I prefer to follow it as a format over others. I would have to say, so, not everybody's that, and I appreciate that. How do you feel a little bit the same way? I suspect that's a guest from me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, well, I think we've talked about these things in the past, and you know, the players will always tell you this is the truest form of the game. It's the real challenges. As you point out that that's why it's called a test. It tests more of your game than any other aspect of white ball cricket. And you know, I mean I enjoy the cut and thrust of the Test match, which you don't see in T twenty to a certain extent. You can see it inn ODI cricket at times, but the test matches is what really gives you the chance to really how the game is developing and changing.
Speaker 3: Home and Away.
Speaker 2: Three test series, four year period. Is there going to be enough time You're more of a mathematician than I am.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that comes under the heading I mean after stating yeah, I'm with this. I think it's very fair and it's easy, and it removes some of the problems that exist with the current setup playing a different number of games each or all those things, the points system, all those stuff is difficult. So the calendar congestion, which is I think what you're talking about. I see the events, a burgeoning number of T twenty leagues, bilateral arrangements that'd probably go. I would think if you went into this new kind of setup, if it actually occurred, I think that go, wouldn't They briefly mean nine sides, so you'd play eight opponents over two series, is what you're talking about Home and Away.
Speaker 3: So that's eight opponents, that's sixteen series. You would play two series for each side over the four years, three tests in each of the series, so three sixteens forty eight tests each side would play in the four years spread out, so that's twelve tests per year on average, on average, So New Zealand I went and had a quick.
Speaker 4: Look, wads how many tests of say New Zealand played in the last ten years May twenty fifteen to twenty five. Sixty six is the answer, and they would have to that's right over the ten years. So that's about half six point six would be, wouldn't it. That's about half what we're talking about getting the twelve tests per year, and on average England over the same period one hundred and thirty one tests they have played. They are the only side that play that number. India ninety two, Australia ninety eight tests. And then you get to sides a little bit more like New Zealand. South Africa sixty two. These are all ten year times. South Africa sixty two, Pakistan seventy eight, interesting, Sri Lanka sixty nine, Bangladesh fifty six, and the West Indies seventy three. So it gives you an idea of those teams that have not played the same number of tests that Lawrence Booth his plan suggests. So I'd have to assume onds that in the twelve tests a year, they would have to change to four tests. They couldn't be five, which means then a discussion I think about how many overs would there be in a day?
Speaker 3: How do you feel about those questions?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that that's something he sort of covered ninety six overs the day instead of ninety But teams can't even bowl ninety in a day now, so how they're going to bowl ninety six? But there would have to be some effort made to do that. But you also got to include in that England Australia ashes test matches. They're five tests series, aren't they? And then the matches that have played, you know against India they seem to want five. There England to put you know, in their home program five test matches, so you know it's going to be a lot more Test matches. But it just shows how New Zealand lag behind. I mean they play less cricket by your figures than the West Indies in tests.
Speaker 3: That's correct. I think there's a bit of West Indies still holding.
Speaker 4: That sort of period where they played and there's a feeling that they want to play against the West Indies a different.
Speaker 3: Way that they play. Perhaps the method they play. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I can't say more than that about the number seventy three that they played in New Zealand's sixty six. I guess the next question for me Wadds is player fatigue, starts.
Speaker 3: And burnout and injuries.
Speaker 4: With all the World Cups and the T twenties plus these twelve tests, England have got quite a group, haven't they, that they can use in different tests.
Speaker 3: Would that mean that players would.
Speaker 4: Pick and choose a little bit the various tests that they played of the twelve and would players prioritizing some games over others?
Speaker 3: Would that weeken the league a little bit?
Speaker 4: So suddenly you arrive at watching what you anticipate as a good test and you find that Williamson and Henry aren't playing, or something like that.
Speaker 2: That's slightly different to New Zealand. Are slightly different to England, don't they? I mean the players don't decide, it's the selection panel that decides what they play. One day's T twenty test matches. New Zealand doesn't have quite the depth do they? In terms of numbers?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: No, that's right, eighteen eighteen first class sides, don't they? And then a nineteenth side because they don't really release their test players that much back to those county sides that they play for, so there's kind of nineteen sides. Well you can just see the numbers are vastly different from our six sides that we have, so that's a bit of an issue I think a little bit around this. So the calendar, then the players, I think costs for all those teams I talked about the West and these would certainly be one would boards struggle to pay for hosting teams for their test for their sort of requisite number of tests that they would have to they would have to put on, and then of course the travel to go to other places as well, and that leads to where will the money come from exactly? Now, The fact of it is, it's very clear in this system, I think the big guys are going to have to give money away.
Speaker 3: It can't be done otherwise.
Speaker 4: You could perhaps have an overall broadcaster who handled the whole of the test matches that obviously sublet some of those two other teams you know, to other broadcasters, but they would do the main ones they saw and you'd have to pull the money that that brought broadcast that main broadcaster you paid for the right to broadcast those tests, and the money from that pool would go out to players and to playing airfares and to paying venues and so on. This is a vastly different system than what we've got operating at the moment. So I don't know what you feel about those ideas. These are just my ideas I see them as I see them as slightly obstacles to this going ahead.
Speaker 2: Well, they have to come into consideration when they're deciding to do and they what they intend to do with the World Test Championship. And I think that's the suggestion Lawrence Booth was making to Jayshar. One of the important jobs he faces is to decide what is going to happen. I just wonder, added to that, whether there is the appetite within the administration of the game for this to happen and to make those changes or just do as he call the fact that it's a shambles masquerading as a show piece.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well and it is a but he's kind of he said it in a nice memorable kind of way, in a phrase, he's good, he's good at doing that. But yeah, absolutely, but he you know, but but basically the idea behind the words I think a lot of people would agree with, and that's what we have the sympathy for his suggestion. There are political tensions odds, how are we going to approach Pakistan India neutral grounds or are we just going to cancel them playing each other? In which case what happens to the points? Do they both get zero? I don't think they'd be very happy about that, But anyway, the viability of some grounds we are obviously going to Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, p away in Siliette for example. And then there's the other last thing I know, all a couple of things. Marginalization of Zimbabwe, Ireland and Afghanistan. That's an issue I think, and to exclude them as they are anyway at the moment, and then the points system would have to be organized and overrates and all that sort of thing. The main point I would make Wads is something you've just picked up on, is it would need a consensus from all the countries to show the will and to value the format enough to run a proper league. And this is a proper league he's talking about, and a fair league and to produce the best sides at the end of it. Booth doesn't talk about the final, does he. I don't think. I don't think you could just have one match after four years a final. I think you'd have to have three matches, perhaps one in each of the finalists place and then a neutral place, and that might be decided by the flick of a coin. I don't know, yep, so a third venue, I think so. The last point would be for the size of this and there's over three hundred tests and all of it aren't there is. You can't just layer it onto what's existing already. There will have to be changes made to other parts of the schedule. It's a seismic shift in developing. Also, the selfishness that exists at the moment around board to board to board and looking after things for themselves that would have that attitude would have to change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes it makes a real change. And that's basically what is being suggested that some of these other tours would be in its tess of that you'd be then playing every side twice, one home, one away, so you would get that to regular test contact. The issue of Zimbabwe, Ireland, et cetera. That is a problem they have to deal with because, as Lawrence Booth says, and I think we probably agree, the tea system is probably not a satisfactory way of going about it. But we can't just have those extra countries Afghanistan, et cetera waiting for the crumbs that drop their way because they have to have an opportunity to get some experience. Twelve countries makes it even harder to organize if you include those in your group. So you know it is a challenge, but I think it's a challenge that has to be accepted and has to be dealt with. Otherwise the test game is going to go into decline that some people think it's inevitable. I don't want to get into that inevitability club. But if something is not done to spread the message amongst all the countries, then it will head that way, won't it is?
Speaker 4: It will, And we're not really growing the game, are we. The game is not growing, And you know my feelings about this. I think anybody should be able to play a test as long as they have venues that are suitable and they have various leagues going on around the world. But that's big changes to people's attitudes words I can't quite see it happening and I'm whispering.
Speaker 3: That I can't quite see it.
Speaker 2: You whispering goodness me. Yeah, yeah, well yeah, I agree with you on that. But that becomes a tear system, doesn't it, But to you know, with Lagre. But you've got to do something to allow those sides like to develop. You know, they appear along with Kenyere and the Netherlands at our short form whiteball competitions. They need to get the opportunity to develop their game through the test match. So you know, there are challenges there, and if any listener has an opinion on what we've been talking about, then send us an email on the front foot twenty at gmail dot com. On the Front Foot twenty at gmail dot com. It's an interesting one because there are different outcomes, aren't there. You're not going to get universal agreement until you discuss it. You know, here we are discussing Laurence Spoon's point of view and you know our agreement. But there are things that have to be taken into consideration and hopefully our international administrators will do that, not just think about the money that's going into their pocket because of some good deal they've done with some good company. Yes, the World Test Championship isn't far away because the teams or the squads for both countries have been chosen just quickly. I don't know if you've seen the squads, but I fancy Australia just at the moment in terms of the balance that they've got. But you can never discount South Africa in any form of the competition. But they don't have a history of winning the big ones, do they.
Speaker 4: They don't fighters all the way, aren't they? Though they're very competitive people generally. I think i'd agree if you wanted to put a favoritism tag to either of the side, you'd probably say Australia slightly. Yeah, the Australia seem to have a little question mark about who will be in their top three? Will they for example, while Constance is there, will they choose them? And if they choose them, they can't kind of fit Green into the side, and they will want to do that if he is fit. He's come back into the the squad. Hummins's course has come back as well. So Webster Webster, well, bo Webster has been there and he kind of covers Green, doesn't he He's a tall lad.
Speaker 3: He bowls with me. He bats and he's kick. He also feels in the slips quite useful. So it's just a question of who's.
Speaker 4: Going to open with Kwaja. Are you going to push Laboshane up or are you going to put someone like Ingless who's been around for a while. You're going to put head up there after the moving ball or leave him at five. So Labershane, Smith, Green Webster carry then right down you can. You know. The people who are going to miss out probably are people like Doggett, who's who's people.
Speaker 3: Might not know him.
Speaker 4: He's a wicket taker in the final. Wasn't he poon him in the left left arm spinner Constance. I've mentioned Engless, the keeper and the batsman, and then Boland Boland they might feel might come and may be for Hazelwood. Don't know whether he's completely fit yet or not. Well, yeah, he he is, that's right, and he's very direct and.
Speaker 3: At you the whole time.
Speaker 4: So so yeah, so it's an interesting one. The South Africans ones very quickly. Top ordered Desaucei, the left hander Ryan Rickleton and Aden Markram and then in the middle order timber Bavooma, David Beddingham who came out here. You know, the right handed bat's quite nicely, and the younger hand Tristan, yeah, and Tristan Stubbs Veraina the keeper, and then the two all round is Marco Jansson. People will know the left armor tall and we are molder a right arm Seemer and then Rabarda's back there now and also Gide is there as well, Maharaj. They you know, they've got some good players, but whether they've got players that can grab a match like a Head, you know, Travis Head, I'm not quite so sure they have that. And the bowling I think from coming Stark Hazlewood or Bowland and Lion just a little bit perhaps more threatening than the South Avenge without North here.
Speaker 2: Yes, interesting, we will look a little bit more closely at that. There's an opportunity for you to be there, I think too, isn't he Yep.
Speaker 3: I'll be there once hopefully if I can limp the way there.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure you'll be able to do that.
Speaker 3: It's set off for a little bit, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Like tomorrow. It's an event, look, just a quick one finally, and it's come from the title in cricket you've never seen at all. The Asia qualifier for the twenty twenty six Women's Tea twenty World Cup in Thailand, the UAE were getting twitchy because of the weather conditions. They got to one hundred and ninety two for none and sixteen ovens against Kuta, but rain was looming. They wanted to declare, they weren't allowed to. You can't declare in a short form game. So what they did was they retired all their bats when they walked out to the middle, retired and came out and so they were able to win the game. They dispatched Qatar for something like thirty two I think it was. It was. It wasn't a very good performance, but it brings to mind some of those incidentss of how you can manufacture the result of a game. And you and I both thought of seventy seven runs from and over about how to manufacture a result Bert vance Bowling against Canterbury in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 3: Yep, looking for a result on the last day.
Speaker 4: They fed them runs with Bert Bowling deliberate no ball keeping the thing going. And I think who was the wicketkeeper who captain for New Zealand as well?
Speaker 3: He got about a hundred and sixty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, got one hundred and sixty odd not out, didn't he in that innings as well? Yeah, ittis it's an interesting one. Quite clever work by you know the UAE captain. Wasn't it ready to go out and say to the amps, look, can we declare no you can't. Well, then I'm going to retire all my batsmen out because they were numbed down at that point for about Yeah, they had about one hundred and ninety and the rain was coming. I think there are two ways of retiring.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 4: You can be either injured or ill, and you get the umpire's permission. In that case, off you go, and if you get better you can come back out again, can't you. The other way, of course, is to be retired out, nothing to do with the amp. You retire yourself out, doesn't need umpire permission at all. If you're retired not out, of course the umpire has he can stop you. He said, I don't believe you. I think you're fine, you're not ill at all. He can do that.
Speaker 3: So, but if you're retired out you can't and you're not allowed to return.
Speaker 4: But if suddenly was the rain that was coming in this match. Suddenly a vicious wind came in and blew it all away. And suddenly the batting captain who's retired them all out wants to change their decision. In their mind, they seek to reinstate some of the retired batsmen. You can ask for that, but you've got to ask the opposing captain, and that captain, the one in the field, has the final say, and I'm not sure they. I'm not sure they would say yeah, go ahead. So that's that's the rule as it happened. It has happened. In Test cricket two thousand and one, Marvin Artapatu and mahala Jaia Wardener both retired themselves out against Bangladesh two thousand and one. They'd got their runs and they wanted the rest of the team to have some batting practice. And it was thought very poorly of the whole thing. They should have either missed a straight one or hit one up in the air or whatever you like. But you don't retire yourself out, I don't think too in order for other batsmen to have a crack. And the other time I could find that used wads was this quite a nice one actually, West Indies playing India nineteen.
Speaker 3: Eighty two.
Speaker 4: Fifth Test match. Gordon Greenwich got one hundred and fifty four not out. Overnight he got new that his two year old daughter was critically ill and so he retired retired out because you know, there was no injury to him and he wasn't ill. And so he flew off that night from Antigua where the game was being played, to Barbados, where his daughter was in hospital, and he visited them. She was being treated there, but she died two days later and Greenidge took no further part in the match. And then as a mark of respect, keppel Dev the Indian captain, granted an exemption to Greenwich and he was recorded retired not out. So the difference was he didn't have the average. You know, it wasn't counted as out, if you know what I mean. So those are the two things. It's more tactical in t twenties, isn't it. People can retire themselves out because they're not scoring fast enough.
Speaker 2: And the reason why declarations weren't allowed that it stems back to nineteen seventy nine when Brian Rose in Somerset declared at one without loss against Glenn Turner's Worcestershire who got one of the runs to win the game. It's a long story and we haven't got time to go through it, but that's why the English County Cricket Board decided that declarations were not the required thing. I don't know whether it's a possibility that it may come back, who knows. But on that note, Jerry, we come to an end of another on the front foot. I hope you're resting well and we'll be able to talk again next week. To enjoy some more of crickets, many happenings.
Speaker 4: Thanks words, enjoyed it and quite unusual things happen in cricket, don't they. I mean, you couldn't really make it up some of these things.
Speaker 2: Ease Upsoma sing do do
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks at b Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.