Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talk s B.
Speaker 2: And a very good afternoon to you. I'm Tim Beverage. Welcome to the Weekend Collective the Saturday, the nineteenth of April, looking forward to your You can text your feedback anytime in nineteen nine too. If you're not in a hurry, you can always email me. I say not in hurry, because sometimes I check it. Sometimes I don't just be honest to be at newstalks, be dot co, dot m Z. Coming up in today's show. In just a moment, I'll be introducing our esteemed panelists in a moment, but looking a little bit further forward where we will be taking your calls on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and also text nineteen nine two for the one roof radio show. Ilse Wolfe joins us for just the second time. She's a property investment coach and she's a she's quite an expert on adding value to properties rather than just buying them and sitting on them for a while. So we're going to ask where what are the money pits? But when can renovating add the greatest value to your investment? How do you avoid over capitalizing, and we're gonna have a chat with Ulster about that after four o'clock and taking your cause and your reckons on that as well, and after five for the parents' Squad, Catherine Burkett joins us the difficult question about how much shit you should try to manage, if at all, your children's friendships or dare I say relationships? Got the bad boyfriend, the bad girlfriend? Is it time to move down, time to shift schools. I don't know it's happened. I think it might have even happened with my mom awhile back. Actually now I think of it. Thanks to that I'm around, which is good. Anyway, we're going to talk about that how much should we interfere with our child's our children's friendships? And before sex will rat sport with Superman Christopher Reeve, who is going to talk about the upcoming Auckland def se. We got a lot lot happening on the sports front, the Warriors, super Rugby, So yeah, it's all happening here on the Weekend Collective. It is coming up to nine minutes past.
Speaker 1: Three, debating all the issues and more. It's the panel on the Weekend Collective on News Talk said.
Speaker 2: B Yes, and well. A couple of season journalists join us for the panel, some perhaps more season than the others. They're looking at each other in shock, as if there's going to be some argument about who's the most season. Season just means you've been around more than six months in this business anyway. So first things first, I'm trying to think why I'm going with ladies. First, shall we say, Willelmina Shrimpton, Hello, Willemina, Hello, how.
Speaker 1: Are you good?
Speaker 2: Nice to see you?
Speaker 3: Well season, well seasoned, salted blickord whatever you know?
Speaker 2: Sounds going to sting take night.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 2: It's just the reason I joke about that with Wilhelmina is because she's just joyously in love with her. And who's running touch today? Actually on he's not reffing today. Yeah, good stuff, which is more work, I imagine. Riffing is hard.
Speaker 3: Reefing definitely reefing.
Speaker 2: And the silver Fox himself there's it's I don't know how to put it. That's smart price, you're throw away.
Speaker 4: You've always find a way away with basted, I think than oh.
Speaker 3: Well, salted pepper and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, sultann pepper. Where should well beyond the salt and pepper. It's more salt.
Speaker 5: Now, distinguished, gentleman, distinguished, not quite yet.
Speaker 3: By the way, have you have you how long have you have you been?
Speaker 2: Silver focused? There's some people who go silver or gray quite early, but it suits that. No, I was early.
Speaker 4: My granddad was completely gray at the age of eighteen, and I think yeah, And I started seeing mine going gray during gray hairs during my twenties. But a number of my fellow former TV people, specially the front ones, yeah, died there here for a long time. But you can always tell.
Speaker 5: With the guy you can.
Speaker 4: You can always. Don't know why that is, but you can't.
Speaker 5: And you've got to make sure your eyebrows match as well. You get your eyebrows and read it. And and what do they call it?
Speaker 3: Man escaping?
Speaker 4: Man escaping? Something else, isn't it? Actually, let's move on.
Speaker 2: Actually have you ever have you ever sort of escaped? I feel like this.
Speaker 4: Just at the time, I really must go, But thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: It's been great.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 2: It was Mark cries or ladies and gentlemen closed the door.
Speaker 5: On the well basted and on his way out wasted, I'd say, well basted.
Speaker 2: It does it does sound like February the fourteenth, activity doesn't it anyway? Look, actually, I've got a confession. I was just going to say, yes, it's not as exciting as you might think. So while we're getting ready for the show, we got the yeah did you get and you know what I did immediately went shut up and okay, And I realized I didn't even read that. I didn't bother I think probably because I was in a newsroom and I thought, if there's anything I need to know, i'll hear it. Apart from that, and I did notice it said that there's been storm warning and it said by two fifteen question mark, and then they released and said by three o'clock. But I can tell everyone by the way that the storm thunderstorm warning has been lifted.
Speaker 5: But did you guys read it?
Speaker 3: Did you guess?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: And it was extended to three o'clock. It had very COVID like vibes. Remember that we used to get those stressed me out case in the community, that kind of thing. It feels a little bit like an overreaction to me, because I think a lot of people were angry that they weren't tipped off about the damn downpour we got in Auckland and the thunderstorms last night. So I feel like they're going, Okay, now we think something's going to happen, We're going to let you know as quick as possible.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's the weather. It's not totally predictable. It's not like to a point. I mean, that's their job. But in terms of localization, whether the thunderstorm is going to be just off the coast or a few hundred meters, it can make a big difference to where to where it impacts.
Speaker 5: I feel like they get a bit of a bad rap. They do a pretty good.
Speaker 3: Job all things considered.
Speaker 5: I think they're pretty good at predicting the worst weather. But like you say, it's mother nature. That sister changes her mind often, you know, and all of a sudden it will completely change.
Speaker 3: And I feel like when.
Speaker 5: It's happening, to then keep updating people as it's happening, then that's great.
Speaker 3: Pick it up. But I think they get a really bad rap. It's changeable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they've got a bad rap over last night's store, and I think this is what they've reacted to. I think they've put that out. I mean, I was so worried about it that I hopped on a pushbike and rode into the studio.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I saw you with your helmet. I was like, you're brave.
Speaker 4: I'm still wearing that though, just in case.
Speaker 2: Actually do you I mean, are you all weather cyclist?
Speaker 4: A pretty much? Yeah, that's yeah. But that's the thing I like about it, that you're out in the open and all kind of weathers. If it's there are very few days I won't ride my buy.
Speaker 5: But yeah, you're very brave. I feel like this is the case with anything though that happens. If there's a big news event or a big situation or incident, all of a sudden, we overcompensate for the fact that there may or may not have been enough notifications ahead of the time. And I meant, the one thing that always sticks out in my mind, and this would have been years and yars ago actually, when I was still at TV and Z and working on the assignment's desk, and there was a big fatal gas explosion out in South Auckland.
Speaker 3: I can't remember.
Speaker 5: It was salta cartage or some kind of welding business that was happening, and it was as a result of a gas leak, and I remember before that, there were notifications about gas leaks all the time. There are fifty sixty of them per day. And then as soon as that happened, every single gas leak we would send the camera crew out to just in case. You know.
Speaker 3: It was that overreaction after it happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and weather events, we love them, did we love weather? And a reporter standing out in the windy, rainy day in the.
Speaker 2: Piece to camera huge and the big you know, is it sort of like a passage for a generally goes on your sky reel for sure.
Speaker 4: Hey, but last night was insane crazy. Oh my god. I actually our house shook from the force of that thunder and lightning. It was my eyes closed, you know, the curtains open. It was like there was somebody who was welding in front of me. It was insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I slept through it.
Speaker 5: What do you know? I was. I was up last night going there won't be a single person in Auckland who's asleep right now.
Speaker 2: I found did wake up at some stage. I don't know if it's be course of thunderment. Maybe in St. Hell Is it didn't quite wasn't quite as localized as were you guys.
Speaker 4: Are my very climate?
Speaker 2: Maybe is where about you?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm on I'm in Milford on the north Shore.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I got the feeling it was slightly away from us. But I was. I do the thing of when I see a flash of lightning out the window, I go one year two, it's three hundred meters.
Speaker 3: It's one for one killing me.
Speaker 2: No, a speed of sound is three hundred meters a second. So isn't it great that that you can come here and learn something?
Speaker 3: It doesn't happen often. Let me tell you, right, I would say.
Speaker 2: The same to Mark if if he said the same thing, I would be you know. Actually, the thing is, let's get back to that alerts. Much as it's fun to point out the science of sound waves and the speed they're traveling on the medium, if you're underwater and you heard the lightning, it would be different because sound travels something serious.
Speaker 3: But just wait, there's more.
Speaker 2: I mean, should are you expecting to get alerts? Because it would be annoying. It's a no win situation for them. They get damned if they do. I just think, look, if there's a thunderstorm, surely, if it's going to be in your area, you should make sure that the hatches are bad and down and that anything's that things are tied up. Do we need a warning for a I mean, I guess.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can argue it either way, can't you. I mean, there's been like all the tsunami warnings that people actually go to the beach to look at it, Oh my god, and nothing ever happens, you know, So I mean, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. And I think one of the things is they felt that the emergency services weren't probably prepared last night for what happened. We had some serious flooding around the place.
Speaker 5: We were lucky it wasn't worse than it was, which is which is good news. But there was a saying that my mum always says, She's like, it's better to have it and not need it.
Speaker 3: They need it and not have it. So it's it's better to have that.
Speaker 5: Warning and then not need it, then not have the warning and not have it.
Speaker 3: Full wanders, full armed, right, I got lost.
Speaker 2: There there were so many knots. I'm not sure if we were saying that it was a positive. You know, when you say that a knot on a knot need it not And I'm like, is that a positive have it.
Speaker 3: And not need it?
Speaker 5: They need it?
Speaker 2: Are you women?
Speaker 5: Explaining to me?
Speaker 3: I am and will plating well explaining.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 4: On the other hand, my sister says, it's a beautiful day in Wellington.
Speaker 3: Today and you can't beat Wellington on a good day nearly.
Speaker 2: Indeed, what a lovely way to finish that one off. I think we flogged that one to death. Now now this look I have, I'm not sure what I think about this two x two stories. So the police have confirmed several new investigations into alleged sexual abuse within the church. Now there is and originally made the news because there is there's a national MP, Hamish Campbell, who is involved with the church, and before more information came out, it seemed to be that he was just being he was sort of being made the story for being a member of a church when people had misbehaved. And I'm like, well, you should interview every Catholic and say you member the Catholic Church. And I guess it's the question about when is someone being a member of a little sect like Gloria Veil relevant to their job and when do you pull them into the story, even though there's no question of whether he's involved in that at all. But I think the mistake he made was he didn't quite disclose how connected he was with the community, sort of played it down a bit. But I sort of think it brings so many questions up. Do we do we should we all know what people's wacky views are religious?
Speaker 4: Well, if they're MPs, I think it's probably a good thing that we know what their wacky views are, so you know what they're voting for.
Speaker 2: That's the thing though. But religion, I mean, somebody who's an atheist might say that anyone who believes in religious and is barking mad. But we but we trust that people put their religions then you can make a choice.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: So if it's not out there and it's hidden, and this is described as a secretive, you know, well private secretive.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you're going to just have to disclose what your religious alignment is or beliefs are. I think that you should disclose every single thing that you're aligned with. That could be your your hobbies, it could be a social group, it could but you know, I you know, sports.
Speaker 4: Group hobbies, don't go to beliefs as much. You know, like somebody who is Catholic for example. You know, we're not picking on Catholics today, but someone who is a Catholic scientologists or scientologists, old Mormons or anyway. But if someone's a Catholic may have very strong views on abortion, right. So if you know that about them and you have opposite views, then you you can make an informed decision on whether you vote for that person or not. I think it's important that we know more about the backgrounds, and we know with what's happened in the Green Party recently. You know, those sorts of things that if they are kept out of the public eye and they come out, then it can come out in a distorted way.
Speaker 3: And people are shocked when they do come out.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: I think that the reservation I had was and earlier in the days when there was a question of some there's allegations of sexual abuse, then immediately you go knocking on the door of the MP saying you're a member of this church, and it was sort of like tying him into sexual abuse when when there's no evidence whatsoever. And I guess I don't know, maybe it was just the way it was reported.
Speaker 4: I thought it's just a one news story' talking about Yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Like any organization though.
Speaker 5: If there's an organization where there is something controversial that goes on and that organization is under the microscope and all you work for that organization, oh well you must know something, you must they must be involved this kind of Yeah, there's that that awkwardness, right that by association you seem to have known something or have something to do with it. And that's not necessarily fair, but it's what the conclusion that everyone jumps to and.
Speaker 4: Guilt by association is never a good thing. But he is also probably the highest profile member of this church.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of him sick.
Speaker 5: Come on, he's got the notable role. So therefore that it brings in the headlight.
Speaker 2: One does get the feeling forgetting Hamish Campbell, but one does get the feeling that this particular organization has got a little bit of heat coming its way because I see that there are more more investigations, and.
Speaker 4: Not just in New Zealand, around the world as well. So yeah, I mean, you know, who knows there's not always smoke with his fire, or was that fire with his smoked?
Speaker 2: I'd love to see when Christopher luxon and church, what what his church is actually, Like, I know it's a home church, No, no, I just want to see if he stands there waving his hands in their taping side.
Speaker 4: So I think it's pinned costal. So it's one of the New York They'll be full on. It's full on. It's like a rock concert.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, yeah, yeah, we actually I'm surprised that we actually haven't been allowed into that church.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In that point, I mean, I think he was unfairly targeted a little bit because of his religious beliefs in the beginning. And I think people tried to go after him because he was a Christian. And I think, you know, unlike America, you can get elected in New Zealand if you say you don't believe in God. But on the other hand, of people have a very strong faith, then they're often looked upon and I don't know if that's fair. And I'm sting someone who's an atheist as well.
Speaker 2: So I'm an atheist, yeah, but and yet I was raised and I think a country that's founded on Christian values and all that sort of stuff, that seems less controversial for people to be a member of some churches rather than others.
Speaker 5: I feel like there's lots of people as well who family had a religious kind of alignment and they were baptized and then all of a sudden that they don't have any connection to religion.
Speaker 3: What I was never at times?
Speaker 2: Do you think do you think that we could America will ever elect a president that's not a Christian, that is actually that is an avowed non Christian. There we go, because I mean, you can't tell me that Donald Trump's you know, really game.
Speaker 4: Can't we get through this without talking about him?
Speaker 5: No, let's not. Let's not.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll tell you what. We're going to move on. In fact, I think the next topic is a fairly weighty one before we move on to some slightly brighter, sort of happier topics. So we might take the break.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: This is News Talk sai'd Be. This is the Weekend Collective, my panelists Mark Kreisel and Wilhelmina Shrimpton, and we'll be back in just a Moment's twenty three and a half part.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to News Talk sai'd Be Weekends from or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio,