Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take another pat now, well it's a trick. It is out. The test is over.
Speaker 3: Couldn't dismay?
Speaker 2: Oh wow from a beaut it is out and hearing guys, this delivery has in you.
Speaker 3: Used to Bold.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks head B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Hello on the proNT Court. Best with you again. Letty Happening in the World of Crickets a series when over packet found for the Black Cat the White Ferns struggled to make progress against the world's best our players at odds with the inded c over contract rights issues. How costly could it be? Seventy years this week since we were dismissed for twenty six and I'm wanted record and two umpires dispatched from the ICC umpire and penel one probably didn't deserve it, Hi did Jeremy Coney And to Peter Holland Peter Well nonto us was moose and he's just returned from a holiday in Jordland. There were sighting of moose down there.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was loved. I do love it down there, but up in the Kempany coast quite easily.
Speaker 2: Every seen him down there, Jerry.
Speaker 3: They're everywhere, aren't they. Moose Is everywhere mice moosey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, let's get on with it. Series win over Pakistan. Were Pakistan good enough? Jerry?
Speaker 3: I know they weren't. They were inexperienced side. They played well in Auckland, didn't they? Pakistan the bet and I felt the conditions and the shorter pitched bowling and bounce from the taller bowlers O Rot Duffy's tears, they found defending it pretty awkward and they therefore had to play aggressively. And that means if you can't defend a ball, you're unable to manipulate the ball around in between the big shots. So you still need to do that. In twenty twenty crickets, two fours and over is eight, but you need to get the twos and the ones in between the big shots. So yeah, I felt they couldn't do that, and so they were defeated.
Speaker 2: Really, most few were against the inclusion of guys like Seifert and Finale and stuff, and I agree with you on the point that you know, we should be looking at players who are committing themselves to the New Zealand game. But Seifert was probably the star of the show, wasn't he.
Speaker 4: We're true, and Phil Allen's contributions were pretty good as well. Given every chance, I don't think I I'm walking walking away from my earlier comments, bearing in mind that the team that Pakistan board, I still saw it as a good opportunity. That said, I guess that I guess the selectors are wanting to keep their options open, which is a fair point with a World Cup, another World Cup coming up, I think next year. So I'm I think, okay, fine, we know they're there. They've shown some talent. Alan looked a bit better. Sidered very good. I agree Anisian Nisian was got a five wicket in the last one. It's hard. It's hard to argue that said, I noticed it in the one day squad. They brought in a few new players, and now that that I do applaud and I'm pleased about that. So so I guess they are broadening the pool of of of of of players, and so for that I have to dp my hat to to the selectors and the coaches and the coaching team.
Speaker 2: Jerry, We've missedter Duffy, haven't we. I mean he is now becoming a first choice Pickersney for our one day sides has to play.
Speaker 3: I think Brian will be interesting, won't it. And I don't know whether they can bully the Pakistan side that they've selected, which is a much stronger Pakistan eleven I think in the ode I's so that's going to be interesting. But Duffy, yes, I agree with Moose. It's interesting, isn't it. We're going to have some younger players, Kelly Mohammed a bass, Addie Ashok the leg spinner. Then you've got Duffy, O'Rourke Sears coming in. There's still quite young players. Nathan Smith has been around, Rhys Murray, who I see is there as well. So you know, it's a very different looking. It's almost as if the two sides have swipped swipped around, isn't it. Really they've swapped about and it's New Zealand now have got the younger players.
Speaker 4: That said, you know, I I do like the look of it. And and at the risk of HARKing back over something that we've already talked through. It's rather lamentable that we couldn't see Duffy playing in that that that Test series just gone. Yeah, breask quick shapes it away. All the things that he he shan't be named, was not particularly wasn't wasn't giving us. And every time Duffy's played, he's got wickets and and looked really really good. And I I just hope they actually stay with him because he gives us something, doesn't he. But I am looking forward to this one day series and seeing how these younger players or new players coming on. Couldn't disappointed that we couldn't see this guy, Josh Clarkson, but I think he's come back from injury, the CD who got a little chance last year. But there's again, I think that there's a bit of talent running around New Zealand and that's that's that's the bit done. Looking forward to.
Speaker 2: We've got Risban coming back in for the Pakistan side, Babba Azam Fahim immamal Haaks, so they're going to be a stronger side than the tweety side. Yeah, and the women, well, the White fans struggled to make some progress. I didn't expect them to beat the Australians. The Australians are a very good side. But apart from that last game when Maddy Green and Millie Kurd nearly got New Zealand up twitty off the last ten balls, we didn't see them put in the same sort of performances that we saw against Sri lank a different opposition. But we really needed to see a continuation, didn't we.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean New Zealand's I mean yes, they got closer in the third match. You have mentioned that, and that was through the batting, not through the fielding. The fielding cost them the game obviously, but you know Australia all round, they just remind you they're just all around athleticism, the range of batsting skills, the bowling skills as well and certainly fielding. You just simply have got to acknowledge our superior side. And you know, for New Zealand to win, they have to play out of their skin and Australia have to play poorly for them to get a victory. They as I say in game three, yet they encouraging and a bit of optimism there, but you know, just too much power with the bat. They when they play their cricket shots. They are really extensions of orthodox cricket, you know, and driving in the air and so on, more power, more speed between the wickets, leg spinners that actually get the ball to drift before it takes turn. So just an all round we you know, we're going to have to roll our sleeves up and if we want to legitimately challenge that Australian side. So a glimpse of what was possible in Game three, but a lot of work to be done.
Speaker 4: If you were picking an Australian side and you had a choice of New Zealanders, I posit to you, gentlemen, that there would only be one player that from Musical that would get in and that's merely Curve. And I think I think if we're agreed on that, then what does that say. It just says Australia are light and day just just better. And that includes the previous team that we would have thought would have would have taken them close, but they got absolutely belted in the Ashes series being England. So I think we yeah, you're right, Jerry. The athleticism, the you know, they've got some they've got some people who can who can bowl well, you know, pretty brisk stuff spinners that is, you know, it's great to watch them because they are very very good, the.
Speaker 3: Very good name move before the ball is bowled, sometimes slide across to access vacant areas in the field so that you can pitch outside off and you get swept, you know, and they are playing the game at a different level.
Speaker 4: I just think there's no doubt that said, it's been great to actually have get them coming out out here and having our ask being able to see them because we don't. Otherwise we wouldn't really get to see them very much. And they're the best in the world and it's wonderful that we actually get them sins the level, doesn't it where our our our crickets have got to get to.
Speaker 2: That can only be good most definitely.
Speaker 3: On the front foot. And here he goes the bouncer.
Speaker 2: One of our regular listeners is bowling a bouncer for me this week. Trent says, what on earth is going on with the scoreboard at Wellington Stadium. It's bad enough that we have to endure cricket in a characterlesst tupper where can of a stadium instead of lounging on the luxurious grasp banks at the basin. However, the powers that be insist on filling up the scoreboard with ads, making the actual cricket information so small that the Hubble Space telescope would struggle to resolve it. Do we really need an ad that takes up three quarters of the screen every time someone scores? Do we really need a quarter of the screen permanently taken up with the names of the countries playing as if we had no idea who had just mortgaged the house to buy tickets to see next time? I'll bring my flat screen TV along and make my own scoreboard. And a man with a failing ice like myself cannot disagree with your trent. Thank you very much for your coming. I'm sure you guys probably understand as well.
Speaker 3: Where with your trent totally.
Speaker 4: The only reason why they probably need the ads on the screen is because they don't have the people in the stadium, because it's not a place that many people really want to go to in that late in the your on the evenings, which are rather brisk and frankly just not in attractive offering. Give me the base anytime, please.
Speaker 2: Yes, most definitely. Four and a half thousand could have played at the base reserve as well. One of the issues that's been well bubbling away in the background and hasn't been made public from recent times is a dispute between the cricket players both men and women, their Association and New Zealand Cricket over players names, images, likenesses, rights, et cetera, et cetera. Heath Mills, the Cricket Players Association, said it's been made clear to them that they've received a number of legal letters towards the end of last year and also their affiliates, the World Crickets Association. New Zealand Cricket Chief Executive Scott Weening says he can confirm that discussions between the two parties on this matter are ongoing. But it's incorrect to say New Zealand has taken legal action. But once you get lawyers involved, there is legal action. What are you like The issue, guys, is not so much the rights. I mean, when you were playing, there's probably no thought of worrying about players image and rights. It was getting paid to play the game, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely. It's a bit sad, isn't it to see the two central pillars of the game in New Zealand the administration on one hand, and the enz CPA they're sort of the players union if you like, on the other at Loggerheads. They've worked relatively closely since the time before when they had the strike of course the two parties, which was really quite nasty two thousand and two. That was, But more concerning for me is that they've been unable to find a solution. They've been unable to get to a point where they can agree. So that means, as you've said, we get other people to make those decisions and their old lawyers and men in suits who have got large pockets. So that's not good for our game. I don't think you know. There's this You're right, this nil names images and likeness digital images of players. There's an Indian company that have got an app. It's called I think World Cricket twenty. Look, my understanding with this, WADS is that New Zealand Cricket have made a deal with the sort of the Dream of leven Or is that what you were calling it when you spoke to me, The Indian fantasy Yeah, the fantasy sport platform, and they were giving New Zealand Cricket. We're giving exclusive rights if you like, to them and being able to use them, and New Zealand were plaid in New Zealand Cricket. That's the administrators were paid money for that, and they were dividing that money up fifty percent to the council and fifty percent to the players. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's quite substantial, as I understand.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, so that's fine. Where Heath Mills comes into it, of course, working with their players union. He says that you know players that they've been claudial so far, but no longer. This is a different end z C, different administration, and so he is saying, and it's quite I mean, I can understand what he's saying. He's saying, Yes, if New Zealand players are wearing logos on their clothes and marks on their clothes that say they're from New Zealand Cricket, yeah, that's yours New Zealand Cricket. But when they're not, when they're not, then it's the players. I think that's where the difference is. Is that would that be fair?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the point of discussion. I suppose the lawyers have to sort that out. She'd never have had to face jesuses to do. I mean, you would have had a lot of contracts because you played around a fair number of leagues during your career, didn't you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had contracts. But I'm not unused to disputes and contracts in my in my in my other life, so I'm sort of somewhat familiar with this sort of thing here. What I'm seeing here is is a transaction done with with an organization who's paid good money. Now, the point that we're running into and why lawyers are involved, is a question of definition. Was it was it expressly dealt with that the images? Were these images with nz SEE logos or otherways or is it all images? And that's where that's where this is where the number of it all is. Because if I'm if I'm of the party that's entered into this arrangement with nz C, and I've paid good money, which is called consideration, and the players have accepted that money, it becomes rather rather difficult to accept the money on one hand and then argue on the other. So I can see where lawyers are mulling over said documents and saying, well, what did we mean and what was intended? So it's messy, and I am not surprised because players rights and images and things are valuable now and I can understand why, Okay Williamson or whoever else Mitchell Satner would want to preserve that because that is their ip, if you will. It's difficult and messy, but the players and sorts of fat taking good money, then it becomes I think it becomes rather interesting and I think this is going to be drawn out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been happening in rugby as well, of course. I mean Richie mccaugh had an issue I think while he was playing, and you know those contract issues do take a bit of time. But what it does do is it puts a negative spotlight on the game, doesn't it. It costs the game, It costs the players, and we don't want that happening, you know it. You know they've had twenty years, as Heath Mill says, of good understanding. We want to keep that, don't we, and the good faith between the two parties.
Speaker 4: Did the players know what they were entering into when they accept the debt?
Speaker 2: Well, that's the question. Yeah, I guess that's the question. We don't know that.
Speaker 4: My expectation is I suspect they really didn't and they and they were they were going, oh yeah that's fine, yeah, yeah yeah, the bank accounts here, yeah.
Speaker 2: Will take the money.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Cricket is quite keen on put pocketing the cash. It's always been my experience and so let's not look at the detail. That's where I think we have have the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have to watch that one with a great deal of interest because they're due to go to mediation. Whether that happens, I'm not too sure. We don't hear too much out of New Zealand Cricket or the Players Association. That's a matter of you know, a little league here and a little leak there from one player to just to talk to you. But they don't want to have their name published and good on. That's fair enough enough. Yeah, there's there's a couple of other issues and I think it's something we need to look into. The World Cricketers Association, of which he Mills is a director, has published a six month review into the sports structure at the elite level and says the current situation is putting the future of the international game at risk. Amid the rise of T twenty leagues. They want to make a radical change. They didn't need a big report, Jerry, did they to tell us that there needs to be a radical change in terms of how the program has developed.
Speaker 3: No, mate, the game is clearly at a tipping point where it's very hard to organize things. There are so many, so many World Cups nowadays. You know, everybody wants to make some money through the broadcasters, don't they. So there's just more and more being fitted in all the time. What these guys are trying to do, it seems to me, is just reorganized things slightly into different areas so that we've got certain periods of the year that are devoted to different aspects, different formats of the game, and try to get it a little more organization to the whole year, which seems sensible. It's not a big idea, it's not a new idea. So let's if they are able to get you know, things moving in that direction. Yeah, let's do that. So I mean, is it saying more than that, Brian? Not a lot.
Speaker 2: At the moment. They want to reduce the sort of financial rewards and revenues for the BCCI, and I.
Speaker 4: Don't see that happening, No, probably not. I did see the report. It was distributed actually by the Plans Association that came through on the email. It's it's a lazy forty four odd pages which I started about page one and the I started glazing over and I thought themselves, I don't need another one of these reports. I think the intent is good, because if we do nothing and the issues are not raised, then I think it becomes a little bit shambolic, as as yet another T twenty competition pops in and eats up some time. So I think it's good to address the issue. But will it become just another report that just ends up gathering dust and the BCI will do what the BCI wishes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, well it's another one. We'll have to follow with a lot of interest to see where that heads. Well, because you know, the program is getting plogged and something needs to be done, quite clearly, a couple of issues. Seventy years since we were out for twenty six, guys, none of us will remember it. I remember it vaguely as a little wee boy and my dad being a little bit disturbed by the fact that we're all out for twenty six. But it's something we haven't got rid of it. We've come close a couple of times, Jerry, an't we we have we have.
Speaker 3: There's always a little spark, isn't there when some side is eight for twenty four or something like that, we might be replaced and not put it the top of that list that we don't want to be part of. It was a funny old game, though, wasn't it. New Zealand battered. I think got two hundred and and then the the English got to forty six, so they weren't that far ahead, but forty six was enough and we were bowld out for twenty six. I remember Bert Sutcliffe saying he I think he was the only one who got double figures, not sure, but he said he was. He was opening. He got out and went and had a shower and changed. By the time he came in and dried himself, everybody was out and they were all sitting in the changing room. So yeah, Bob, Bob epple Yard, poor joker. He got what four for four for about seven and was on on a hat trick a couple of times I think, and wasn't able to h to complete it. But anyway, yeah, that was that was not a day. We want to recall from Auckland.
Speaker 2: Well, perhaps we can have one further recollection. A number of years ago the late Frank Tyson came to New Zealand and spoke at Eden Park in Auckland, and he had recollections of that game and one incident within it.
Speaker 5: From his viewpoint, twenty four fifty five would perhaps a better time for me, in so far as it was the occasion when I was perhaps outstanding not for my bowling but my batting, because I was taken off at eden Park after having taken two for nine, being deemed too expensive. But to my undying credit, I will say that when I came into batlen happened who was batting? I think in that particular innings the second innings of the England side, and I should point out that New Zealand were very close to England and their first innings total, and Len, who scored a half century, came up to me and said stick around and we'll beat them by then ings and we've got to lead of fifty seven. And that's the only time in my life with you. Deference to Jim Laker, I made a bloody Yorkshire Optimist.
Speaker 3: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Cooney, on the front foot.
Speaker 2: Finally, guys Michael Goff and Joel Wilson have been dispatched from the ICC umpiring panel. Wilson I can understand. I've never rated his umpiring abilities, I've got to say, but Michael Goff I thought he was one of the bitter umpires.
Speaker 3: Joel Wilson causes lots of reviews and and from lots of sides. It may actually save time, who knows. Michael Goff I think is very highly regarded as a decision maker. And I mean he played cricket under nineteen captain for England. He played for Durham and averaged fifty. But he he didn't really enjoy playing the game, he said, but clearly like watching it. So he became quite a young umpire in his twenties. First test he umpired was twenty sixteen, Elite Panel twenty nineteen because I remember you and I was he was at the World Cup that ODI World Cup in the UK. But now he's been axed. It's quite surprising, isn't it that the ICC have these routine performance assessments. Jay Shah said. Being an elite official brings with it scrutiny and pressure. It's a bit of a surprise to me. The Indian side regarded Goth very highly. Because this was Ravi Shastury talking. He said, they do not even review decisions made by Goth for not out or out because they just they follow his decision making so closely.
Speaker 4: It seems a little bit arbitrary. I understand that about Gough, but the other guy, I wouldn't know. Can I just add some one other one in which came up was the passing of Peter Lever. Yeah, it's weak and of course we remember Peter Lever mostly because he was a pretty useful left quick but more of the point that he hit our being, our good friend Charlie Chatfield on the Nogan and it wasn't It wasn't a great moment and I shall never forget that. So I just one want to thank the the physio from England for saving Chat's life and also acknowledge a good, good cricket career, from what I understand, was a decent bloke Peter Lever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Peter Lever was the right armor moose. You're thinking of John Lever. You're thinking of John Lever the right Yes, that's right, and you're right about that and it certainly brings up the chats incident was an awful, awful moment and and thank haavens for Bernard Thomas, that little that little physio who came and fixed chats up out on the field and he was okay. Peter Lever was on his knees halfway down the pitch. He was absolutely bereft and distraught. Went to see him later that day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still shiver when I remember that incident because well it was literally a half stopping moment in terms of cricket. And you know Jerry you or and Moost you know, chats really well he was, he was a lucky man to come away from that. Ever he was.
Speaker 3: He was followed the tongue and you know, no helmets in those days, wads. The ball came off luckily kind of the gloves took most of the blow off the bat as he kind of had it up in front of his face, so it took a lot of the blow actually, and then into his mouth and he swallowed, as I say, his tongue and seeing all the English players just sitting, you know, and standing around not knowing what to do right round him, zambucks came on, didn't know what to do, went off and then luckily on rased Bernard Thomas to save him. So he has spent a night in the hospital. Peter Eva went to visit him, so it was all okay and then thankfully.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's interesting it just left in adlible mark. You know, I was a young kid in those days and it's still in my memory. I can see it now and yeah, so it's funny the passing of Peter Lever and and that and those memories come back. But oh, Peter live had a good life at eighty four and we still live Charlie with us, so that can only be a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good. I had a chat with Peter Lever about it or sometime ago, and I think it may well have been on the front foot that he spoke to us, you know, and he was he was saddened by the issue, you know that he said, it's just one of those things that happened, and that you know, that was it. But it wasn't if he held any animosity. But the public of New Zealand certainly didn't like him for a period of time, did they because of that situation.
Speaker 4: It wasn't the first bounce of bold was it?
Speaker 2: John Snow was around at that period too, wasn't he? Yes, yeah, absolutely, and everybody else. Anyway, it came out happily at the end and it said to farewell Peter lever Becau. He did make a great contribution to the game. Thanks guys. Once again, this time next week we'll be celebrating the Plunket Shield winners, our Walington Firebirds. Sorry, guys, I know this is a little bit parochial. They dipped out of contention. They're still there, but they've got to rely on Otago beating Northern Districts if they're to get there, and they've got to beat Canterbury. So good finale. I've got to say that the last couple of rounds of this Plunket Shield have been very interesting and entertaining and they've produced some good games. We mentioned it last week. Northern Districts got up and beat Wellington by twenty eyed at the Basin Reserve and Canterbury massacred Central in the game that they played. So hopefully we're celebrating. Not too sure what it's going to turn out, but thanks for your time. We've got the match between New Zealand and Pakistan. There's three odieides that we'll be talking about next week, and there's some of the other issues facing credators. Jerry, go and watch some cricket.
Speaker 3: Thank you mate, I will do cheers most lovely to hear what you've had to say.
Speaker 4: And and I'm going to do a really crazy, crazy thing tomorrow. I'm going down to the basin and watch watch a little bit of cricket plunket shield.
Speaker 3: So there you go, I'll see you.
Speaker 2: We'll have a drink. Good Okay, Mats, guys, cheers.
Speaker 3: Welcome a
Speaker 1: Summer For more from News Talks at b Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.