Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from news Talk, said B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Y take another pair now in it's a chard, it is out. The test is over.
Speaker 3: Couldn't the smoke? Oh wows a beauty?
Speaker 2: It is out and hearing guys, this delivery has nun us.
Speaker 4: Its revolved.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody powered by News Talk, said B at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: So on the Front Foot says goodbye to twenty four and ushers in the twenty twenty five. With the changing of the guard for the black Cats, new names emerging in our top teams, beginning with the whiteball sides under Mitchell Santner Bevan who Viven Jacobs. Of course, does the domestic game possess enough depth. There's still a huge gulf between the White fans and Australia. FORBA black Caps give her Tim Sudi won't be unemployed long, it seems He's currently contracted to New Zealand Cricker, but Saldi will captain the Shade of Warriors in the upcoming It l T twenty and is twenty percent of your match feet A kin to a slap on the hand with a wet icc sanction. Well that's what veriack Coli got, Jerry boy? Was he lit off light? Yeah?
Speaker 5: It was a bit mild, wasn't it, Yeah, Colie, in constance the two k's rather than the three k's KKK where they were in white.
Speaker 3: Two odds, weren't they.
Speaker 5: But look, I don't know what you thought, but it looked a very deliberate piece of you know, public bullying, didn't It designed to upset a youngster who was getting the better of the exchangers. And it was outside the actual transaction of play, it wasn't It was in between overs. You know, occasionally bowlers and fielders get in the way of batsman all the other way around because you know, they're taking a run something like that. That's but this one was very different, wasn't it. This was just a direction of movement into a direct line of another player in order to make contacts like swimmers stay in your own lane, you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I just I couldn't understand what prompted him to do it. I mean, okay, so the young kid was starting to show some exciting tendencies. I mean, he only had to look at his second and to know that he's not in the next Breadmond just yet. And it was entertaining stuff that set the Melbourne crowd a light. But was it Coley just saying don't try and outstage me or jump ahead of me in the Q soon, or can I upset you? There was a real touch of arrogance about it, even though where we probably shouldn't say.
Speaker 5: That, there was a bit of that. I think I'll be the one to do this. If anyone's going to do it from our team to try and upset him, it'll be me.
Speaker 3: And you know, I know it should constance call.
Speaker 5: For tackle bags behind the stumps in between overs.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but.
Speaker 5: I just felt it was just unnecessary. And I also thought that it's another example really of officials not quite knowing what to do, especially when it's involving India, who are the important powerful ones at the moment. And I guess whoever it was the match ref was he wants to go back to India at.
Speaker 3: Some point, so.
Speaker 5: There'll be some in India who back him for doing it. I mean, it's ridiculous. It was really just an extension a new phase of sledging wasn't it. I mean it's to put the opposition, put the opposition players off.
Speaker 3: No, just not something we want us see on a cricket field.
Speaker 2: Did you did you watch a lot of the Tests? Did you see the Jasuell run out with Coley?
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah I did.
Speaker 2: But to me that was a touch of arrogance as well. He was the non strike. He was called for a run. Whether it was a good run or not. Jaswell had played it up and taken the run and and Coley just stood there his ground. He didn't you know, he was basically ball watching and saying to Jaswell, hey, son, don't there's no run there. I'm not I'm not putting my life at risk. And yet Jaswell had most of the runs on the board at that stage. It seemed a little bit strange. You sort of respond to your mate, don't you when you're when you're betting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, first, the first point I think to make about it. It looked like to me a very tight run. He actually hit that quite hard. Yeah, and it went to a sort of a medium depths mid on didn't it in Cummings and it went to the correct hand. And therefore, because he was a little bit deeper than beside the stumps. There were three of them to aim at. So that's why Jase Will kept moving. To me, he kept moving swiftly because he knew it was tight. And really that's Coley's job. You either take the guy on trust, which you have to do because you can't ball watch there. You take the guy on trust and you run, or the other option you've got is to shout out weight. This is where you come back to your rules. Was in your three calls, yes, no weight and weight would have been an early call of weight and Jacewell probably would have got back.
Speaker 3: If Coley wasn't intending to run.
Speaker 5: You shout weight. It's not worth a wicket, is it for one run? So, and particularly at that time when they kind of had Australia at their mercy a bit, both of them batting well and a good partnership developing, and it affected Coli. I mean he played wider than he normally had in that innings two or three overs later, didn't need to bowl, and so that was an important part of that game. Really, that that pulled. And I mean they lost two or three wickets, didn't they quite quickly? That that pulled India out of the game a little bit and left quite a large deficit.
Speaker 2: Just a quick question, when did yes no Weight become outdated? Because she hears so many different calls, now, don't you running? One? Maybe something that I always remember the one of Jabad me and Dad, wasn't it when he was called and it was looking like a runout and he said, yes, I am not coming.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And there's partner shaking hands with him. So yeah that Look, it's been decided. It was decided over years, wads, years and years, and you need to just be very clear and concise. Needs to be concise. One word, it's all you need, and very clear. So that was where the problem was. Jacewell taking a pretty tight run to having to run hard because it was tight, kept running and no response from Coolie really and then as you say, started to turn behind him that he was gone then.
Speaker 3: So it's that that that one, to mid On is quite tricky.
Speaker 5: You can be quite tricky and you've got to follow the rules very carefully, and you've.
Speaker 2: Got to pick your fielders too. Some are quick, some aren't, and generally a bowl there and you think, well I can get a run in here.
Speaker 3: Well the throw was quite wild, wasn't it.
Speaker 5: I mean Carey had to go and get it and then take it to the stumps, so so Jacewell would have had time to go back, no doubt about that in my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeap, interesting one. Well, we'll watched with interest because it looks as though Australia are headed to the World Test Championship with only a day and a Test match to play, and of course South Africa have just guaranteed themselves a place in the final by beating Pakistan in a Test match back home. New names coming to the forefront in the New Zealand side for various reasons. So they've got players who are overseas playing white ball cricket and aren't playing in the home series, but a few new names. I suppose you get to a stage when the players who have been around a while are retiring. We've lost Sauthi from the Test game. There's rumors of other players considering retirement and that's got to be considered. A new name in the white ball side. Bevan Jacobs. Hardly knew him, never heard of him until he played a game against Wellington recently in the Plunket Shield. He's a major surprise a player who hadn't featured in national prominence, and after making the IPO contract list, it seemed less of a surprise that he should earn white Ball black Caps selection, but all the same, a welcome surprise for a young man from Auckland.
Speaker 6: If you told me this would happen a month ago, I probably wouldn't believe it. It's it's yeah, like I said, it's a cliche, but it's something you dream about. It's something you know, I grew up watching and being able to share the field with some of these players, I think it is going to be pretty special, and I'm just going to try to, you know, absorb as much as I can learn from them and you know, and hopefully be able to put some runs on the board as well.
Speaker 4: They're both pretty big surprises. I think.
Speaker 6: I think the black Caps one was probably oh, I don't even know. IPO feels like such a slim chance, but black Caps is something that, you know, I've dreamed about since since a kid. I think ipl was kind of a focus or like a like a goal maybe set a little bit later. Black Caps has always been the dream, you know, So I think that's probably the one that hit me the hardest, but obviously both both really special and just you know, glad to have the opportunity.
Speaker 2: You've been selected for the ball team initially. But is test cricket a goal also?
Speaker 7: I don't want to be a one dimensional better Obviously I like to I like to bring that power game into the team, but I think I think, you know, going for that longer format stuff definitely something I want to work towards and be recognized as going forward.
Speaker 2: Does testmate cricket suit your style of play?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 6: I mean there's obviously been some common trends with with some extra power, some more creativity coming into the into the red Bull set up there, but I think it's more just about how everyone goes at their own sort of way, right, And you know, if that's the way that I can I can bring an impact in that situation, then then that's.
Speaker 4: What I'm trying and do.
Speaker 6: But if it's if it's something a little bit more than I need to develop, then I'll work on that as well.
Speaker 2: So what's been your development through the New Zealand game? Born in South Africa, but you've progressed through the age groups up north.
Speaker 6: Came down to Lincoln on a on a cricket scholarship and I got sorted with the strength and conditioning program here and then I kind of just fell in love with that sort of side of a side of the sport, getting in the gym and you know, it's just something that I like to tick off pretty pretty frequently. Obviously growing up in Auckland's and that was awesome in age group cricket. But yeah, I mean I spent three three good years down there and I really enjoyed it. And so to get have it announced here, you know, it's not it's not the worst situation ever, so it's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So obviously grew up in Auckland, Hibiscus Coast as a junior, played premier cricket for a couple of clubs and then under seventeens for Auckland, under nineteens for Auckland and two out of the.
Speaker 4: Three we won, which was awesome.
Speaker 6: A good bunch of lads, a couple of which i'm playing with right now, which is always good to share the field with them, good memories. And then three three seasons or two and a half seasons here in christ Church with Sydenham, so that was also good. Fun, and you know, every step of the way with each club and which with each sort of organization really really supportive of my journey and my career. So yeah, and that's been that's been really awesome. And even in school cricket, you know, five years at Westlake Power Westlate Boys, really enjoyed my time there. And then yes, starting off with Canarby and then eventually moving back to Auckland. It's been a bit of a journey of left and right. They're about but Lack, I've enjoyed every step of the way and I'm just I'm just glad that I can get the opportunity to hopefully go there on the park and perform for everyone.
Speaker 2: That's a bit of Jacobs showing there is dip from the domestic game. Then to check that out, I called into the basin where the Firebirds were training and I had a chat with their coach, Shane Jurgenson, who says they are meeting the numbers game, but are being tested at times for depth. Jurgensen knows full well the talent that Jacob's possesses. He scored well against Wellington and the Pluck at Shield earlier this season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he got two adies in a hurry.
Speaker 8: I was for sure already kept hitting the ball out on the road, one of the bigger roundabouts in the world around the base reserve. So yeah, it certainly hits the ball a long way, hits the ball a long way on both sides of the wicket, which makes for the captain's extremely hard you know, hits ball cleanly over met off as he does over you know the traditional sort of maybe the hits to sort of mean on the mid wickets.
Speaker 4: So yeah, certainly a powerful young man, not a player from nowhere.
Speaker 2: Is obviously played a bit of cricket in christ Chitch and played an Auckland domestic cricket. But we're at the phase of the season now where the players coming through the development phase. I suppose you're looking at We've had one player retired to him South. There are rumors about others who might ending their careers at some stage. Now's the time that you want your development players, don't you. Depth? And I guess as a coach you're looking at that depth in the competitions that you've got to play now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely, I think this is a similar time to maybe COVID. Actually, so during COVID there was different squads at times and players. You know, my time with the Black Caps, he had the emergence of the Will Youngs, Russian Rave Indra, Glenn Phillips, Mark Chapman. You know, when you know, different players came in for different tours, whether it be like for Ireland and Scotland and just just for an example, and that gay players, different players opportunity to have that experience at that level. And I think, as you know, that's the opportunity there is now during this period of you know, the different contracts that have been sort of set up as well and guys going to play TEA twenty franchise cricket, there's an opportunity for guys to come in and play a role.
Speaker 2: You've had the problem in the past anyway with Ravender, with Conway, et cetera, et cetera, ceterc. Blundle and so have the other first class provinces associations had to find some depth. Is it easy to get the quality of depth that you want?
Speaker 4: No, not easy.
Speaker 8: You've got to sort of you know, for us here we've had a week of preparation T twenty preparation that was again for us, a great opportunity to get some guys in to.
Speaker 4: Be in and around the squad for a week.
Speaker 8: But we did some skills work fielding, batting and bowling, and then we had a game.
Speaker 4: We wanted to have another game.
Speaker 8: We're actually going to have two T ten games, so we could actually focus on different elements of T twenty cricket in terms of the the powerful phases of death and the start of the innings.
Speaker 4: But we missed out on doing that with the rain.
Speaker 8: But I think for us guys, the emergence of people not just within our squad, Jesse tash Gov for example, who's had some good opportunities at the NZ at eleven recently, Troy Johnson, who's been around the squad for a while. But then there were some players that we included Sam Morgan, who's an opener from Upper Heart I think, and played a couple of really good innings, and Oscar Jackson, who was in New Zealand and nineteen captain the last World carp and Heat actually played some good innings in the game it was played.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there's certainly some players.
Speaker 8: I think what this opportunity does is you have players step up into the Black Caps. Then in your squad, you know, we've got one of the biggest squads we've ever had in the Wellington fire Birds, twenty three players, so you know that's for us, that's managing that. But at the moment we're actually down to only thirteen players. So it's gone from having a wealth of players to all of a sudden with the amount of you know, that's the success that we've had. I suppose here for individuals being called up to Black Caps and his shrink and tour and then yeah, and all of a sudden we're down to thirteen players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that depth has been tested too with one of your bowling leaders, Nathan Smith, coming back from injury and starting to show I think the talent that many people believed he had. What did you think of his Test match performance?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, it contributed really well, just the way that we thought he would. Really he's a real impact player. He's exciting to watch, you know, hits the ball out of the park, but also can play long innings if you need fielding. I think there was a runout during that Test series it was a great runout that he was including. And then also you know he's bowling when he comes on, he's he's very accurate, and he's always at the bowler, so yes, he's really gives you that impact that you want as a player to be able to keep pushing and looking to take wickets and score runs and be a great field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you get to a stage where I suppose as a coach you want to win trophies that are important to you, but you also have to prepare players for higher honors, don't you. I mean you've got to You've got to mix both those in terms of your.
Speaker 3: Plans, don't you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think all coaches have egos and you want to win. But at the same time, you know, my role here is highly.
Speaker 4: Geared towards developing black Caps.
Speaker 8: The ones that are existing and also future black Caps, and creating an environment where everyone can learn feel as though that they belong and that's my that's basically probably more important in a lot of ways. And then and having making the push to win trophies. So I really enjoy that aspect of it, you know, obviously having been at that level for nearly fifteen years and you know, I might have a little bit of intel on how to get there. But also it's also more importantly about the player and their own development, to get their own paths to get to that stage.
Speaker 2: And you've got players who are pretty much on the verge. You have a look at somebody like Nick Kelly, who's been there or thereabouts in the new zeald No program, and other players in your side, and I suppose that they are akin to some of the players for the other associations as well, aren't they. You see a guy come into the Cannitory side and score a double ton this first game as Captain Maru. I think, you know, these are obviously talented players who are looking for higher honors as well, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Nick Kelly, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 8: And you could also say Nick is in the form of his life last sort of two or three years. You know, extremely fit, can certainly push up to the next level, no problem, tough player, really good feel for the game, and also a game that can adapt to all formats, which is one of one of the really strong thing about Nick.
Speaker 4: You know, moa bass.
Speaker 8: You know, his impressive year last year, and the important thing for him now is he's after you know, he's really worked hard his fitness during the winter. He's certainly stronger, fitter. He's had a couple of injuries because of that, because all of a sudden he's a lot more powerful and he's he's bowling quicker, and so he's but we're looking for him to have a good impact with the balls or and the super smash coming on and bowling couple overs in the middle stages. And then you've got, of course, you know, someone like Tim Robinson who's had an amazing super smash last year and with the black Caps now and you know we're looking forward to getting him back. You know, all those players like Nathan Smith. You know we loved have him back as much as we can, but you know we'll enjoy their experience and there you know what they can bring the team when we have them.
Speaker 2: Just the development program suitable enough for preparing players for international cricket. You've got the domestic competition. There's a development squad of young players going around the country now at and I look back to say the twenty nineteen World Cup Under nineteen World Cup where Willow Rourke was there and there's a couple of other players who are emerging from that. Is the program now good enough for the development of these players to test match level cricketers or international cricketers.
Speaker 4: I think it certainly is.
Speaker 8: I think there's playing opportunities I think is really important for us in New Zealand because we do sometimes well, we do have long winters and the season is relatively probably short in a lot of ways, and whether it be club cricket or domestic cricket, you know, I think the more playing opportunities young players can get is really crucial. The other part of it, which is really quite it's quite a big job for us here for in Wellington is training the guys up to understand how to look after their bodies. And that's actually quite an extensive job and we certainly got the resources here Ellington, but it is a big job and there's not many.
Speaker 4: Hands, but the guys that.
Speaker 8: Are here really work hard, you know, like we've just lost Matt Matt Long who's been a huge every instrumental about players behaviors and attitudes off the field in terms of that process towards recovery their fitness, and we've got people involved in nutrition be able to play in back to back games if you only have one day's break, which we will have in the Super Smash. So training the guys up to understand their body is really quite one of the other side.
Speaker 4: Of domestic players.
Speaker 8: It's just not the cricket that's a big side of the development of these players.
Speaker 2: And one of those who's been injured, but I think is back on the park at the moment as the fields only there's Ben Sears, who's a young man and we don't want to see the early end of his career. I mean, it's nice to see Kyle Jamison back again bowling. And you know, with the change of our bowlers that you spend a lot of time coaching, there's a new breed at international level, wasn't he.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 8: There's a number of guys that are certainly popping their heads up in terms of giving them opportunities. And you know, seeing Jacob Duffy, you know his performance in the first T twenty versus Sri Lanka, and you know he's been waiting for his time for example, and he's sort of he's not young obviously in age, but in terms of experience, he's still learning.
Speaker 4: About playing at that level.
Speaker 8: Then you come back, yeah, Ben Ceazy, who's really really excited to be back running around fielding like a crazy man in the field.
Speaker 4: He'll be batting today and not bowling in the game.
Speaker 8: But I think seeing him coming back, and you know he'll be appearing some at some stage during a super Smash and getting himself in a situation where he could be in line for selection maybe for the Champions Trophy. So yeah, he's certainly coming back, and that's and again that's that's our that's our job as a domestic team is to look after him and get him ready for a black Cat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I guess it's the same right across the country. Canter we have the same issues in terms of what they're doing on the issue of Sea isn't getting ready at our other past bowlers. I'm one of those who sort of says, we've got to look after these players. We don't want to run them into the ground. But you can look after them too much, can't you. They'll end up not playing. So how do you manage your bowlers in that because you've got to be conscious of the fact that you know what their body is like as much as they have to know what their body can do. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's just getting alignment with all parties.
Speaker 8: So we've been himself with the crucial part and with the black Cat staff and also our staff, so you know that can be a little bit of a tuggle wall sometimes, but it's also because I suppose for us we can have our eyes on him and we sort of know where who's progressing. But I also understand, you know, you know, one of the sayings that I sort of have sometimes that I can't remember who gave it to me, wasn't originally from me, but you know, treating your fast bay the really important aspect to take wickets and win games of cricket and is treat them like race horses. And you know there's periods of periodization where they're in the paddock, you know, getting getting grazing and getting some rest, and then there's periods of time where they train hard and then you've got to make sure you look after him.
Speaker 4: And because they're pretty powerful bodies and they do something it's quite extreme.
Speaker 8: So it's really important that balancing act of preparation versus playing and getting ready for the black Caps, and that's what we're sort of going with Ben right now.
Speaker 2: How excited are you to see Kyle Jamison Beck and perhaps also the development of Willow Rourke who had to my mind and just an absolutely outstanding season.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it would be awesome to get Kyle back in that Test team if it was to happen, and great to see him back on the field again. I think it would be a real as well along with the as well as the guys that are there now for pretty formidable attack. You know, it was someone along the lines with Rourke, Jamison, Henry.
Speaker 4: Sears. You know there's some serious pace there and bounce.
Speaker 8: So you know, if that was, I'm sure Gary and the selection team and would be pretty impressed to.
Speaker 4: Have all those guys fitting available. But yeah, to see Kyle back after a long road of recovery is just amazing.
Speaker 8: And yeah, Will Rourke, I came across him in an under nineteen camp a few years ago. He was just too old for the under nineteens, but Paul Wiseman and the crew got him into sort of bowl and compare and I was there and I looked at him and I was actually umpiring in this practice game and I went, yeez, who is this It's like And the first thing that came to my mind is, my goodness, this guy if he goes, if you continue to do what he's doing today and can do it, at the next level, the next level again, he could be our next he could be our version of Pat Cummings.
Speaker 4: And that's the first thing I straight.
Speaker 8: Away I looked at him and this is Pat Cummins, just always at you bounce.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: A pretty impressive young man. He's done so well. The e really exciting future for him.
Speaker 2: Jugo as he's known, the coach of the Firebirds, Jerry. He got a pretty practical idea about where the game is at. I like his analogy that his job is there to prepare players for international cricket. He wants the trophies. He says that, you know there are egos among the coaching staff, but he's there to prepare international players. And you know that's where our development's got to come from, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: Very experienced coach, been around a long time. Values the culture, if you want, for want of a better word, how the players get on together, how they're enjoying their game, and they're important things. And I just thought the main point he made Wads to me was he's identified as you and I have, is as most cricketers who are interested in the game have, and you know this is a time for development, doesn't it. It's a time where the confluence of a couple of reasons.
Speaker 3: You've already mentioned one of them.
Speaker 5: That's the contract system in New Zealand, and it's the players that hold all the power and that and they've got the choice whether they want to opt out of the shorter formats make a bit more cash for themselves. And that's left holes holes in our particularly our white ball team. And so that's why we're seeing these new names. I mean, and there are quite a lot of them, aren't there. I mean, you could actually pick quite a decent side from all the players.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: You've got Ferguson, Finnelle and Adam Miller and Tim Seifer, they're the big bash, Caine Williams and Devon Conway. Lots of openers there. You see Conway ciphered finn Allen. And that's why we had didn't really have an opener in this latest side, did we. We had to promote Ravendro into there, even though he's battered there before for Wellington. And then you've got Ben Sears and Jamison a way with injury. Then you've also got the players who went to Pakistan, Blundle, Foxcroft, Josh Clarkson, he's one who hasn't made it again is sod He was there and we're young was there. So there's quite a lot of players there that are unavailable for one reason and another. And the other reason, it seems to me, is that you know, the succession plan for this particular these sides hasn't really kind of existed. We've hung on to goodish players and they've become good at certain times because they have been held onto. So it's a fair enough kind of policy, but you do need to keep preparing for beneath them. And I think that's maybe whether it's cash, having games and all that sort of stuff. And I thought Jurgens had made some decent points there that you know, he highlights based bowler is knowing their own bodies and being able to know what sort of length they can bowl and when they've had enough. And the other thing was giving these players opportunities. We've actually discovering players that are kind of are kind of showing they've got the ability, haven't we wouldn't you say, I mean O'Rourke, especially in the bowling departments O'Rourke, Henry Jamison, Sears, Smith Duffy that that to me okay, we've got a couple of batsmen, the new batter bit Jamison and Smith. The rest don't. But there's that's okay, and we've got pace, we've got a bit of bounce, we've got some swing. I like kind of like the look of that for the future. Then you look at our spinners, Ajas Patel Santner has developed nicely in the in the recent past. You've got Bracewolln Phillips coming on as well with the off spinners. So our finger spinners are kind of there, and so all that kind of as a as a body of players, I think looks okay. It's the batting that is a bit more of a concern. I think I'm not too sure of the answers to that. There were lots of names that you and Durgo were talking about, but you know, I haven't seen quite yet.
Speaker 3: Enough of the batsmen coming through.
Speaker 2: No, And I guess that's a matter of opportunity. There's this Guyrhyese Meru who's playing for Kenney, got a double ton and they've got players. I mean, this was an interview around a Wellington coach, but I think the same issues apply to all the coaches. Up and down the country in terms of finding places to put their quality players, identifying the talent and giving them opportunities. And it seems with a development squad going around New Zealand moment playing games, not playing long form games, which disappoints me to some extent. But you know, there are opportunities for young players to develop and that's the encouraging thing for New Zealand cricket, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, so we've got to We've got to commit our money there. I think we do that, then I think we'll find we've got better black Caps players. I don't know whether you watched the game, Brian, the first match between Sri Lanka and News. What a weird game. I mean, New Zealand were in a beautiful position to lose twice, I mean five for sixty halfway through their innings, all the top order gone and then they were rescued by Mitchell Embracewell. Weren't they then one hundred and twenty one for none Sri Lanka in the fourteenth they had ten wickets left to get fifty odd and what a heist. Well done, Duffy, Well done, Duffy. I mean just exactly at the end. Absolutely, he was a bit expensive at the start, but he pulled it back certainly, and Henry was solid and I thought well done for Duffy though with all those hours bowling before play and lunchtime and end of the day's play. I've been watching him over the Test series against England and he's pulled it, you know, pulled it out.
Speaker 3: So that's fantastic.
Speaker 5: Stanton did okay also, you know, handling the questions as a captain because they are under pressure, There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: And the most encouraging thing about the last week or so has been the fact that we've seen Kyle Jamison back bowling at first class level, being services back on the park playing as a batsman only in a practice game for Wellington when I spoke to Shane Jurgensen and these are the young men we want to look to to hold New Zealand together over the next five to ten years. So encouraging and exciting stuff. Only this week the White Fins held high hopes of winning the Rose Bowl back from the Aussies, but a washout and two emphatic defeats left them pondering how do we bridge the Gulf between the ANZAC nations, here's been suet.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of positives to take out of it. I think the way that Bella came in and showed real good positive intern from the start. Obviously, Molly's you know, the way that she bowled in that first game was excellent. I thought the way that Maddie started today was great. Susie batted well. It's just about being able to do those things for a little bit longer. I think the takeaway is that in the T twenty and that shorter game, out some really good plans and we're able to execute those and it's spent out to do that for fifty overs.
Speaker 2: You were able to bowl them out in game three, but we're still lift chasing a mess of total.
Speaker 9: Twice we've done that. I think we were the first thing to bowl them out in T twenty for a while, so you know, I think we took seventeen wickets across the two games, So yes, that's a positive, but to nearly get three hun both times is yeah, something that we've got to work on to be able to just defend a little bit better so that we're not asking our batting team to chase three hundred against probably one of the better attacks in the world.
Speaker 2: Wides boundaries, dropped chances contributed to the difference between sides and also the experienced individuals in that Australian team.
Speaker 9: I think the difference in both games was one player, you know, Southerly when I got one hundred. I think, you know, Ash got a really good seventy today and it's just that one big score that we probably missed in both innings. So yeah, look, there were great signs. I thought we were on track there. We left about one forty in the last twenty, which is what you'd expect to get in a T twenty game, but you just fell away towards the end.
Speaker 2: Positive signs from Bella James on debut.
Speaker 9: Yeah, just the intent that she showed to play those little lap shots that she did against like I said, some of the world's best is really impressive. So she's not scared by the biggest scene and that's a real positive. So yeah, I think, you know, she's going to be really good for us going forward.
Speaker 2: What's the plan for your players now? Domestically?
Speaker 9: Firstly, for our White Ferns, it's important that they go back and they be the best players in the comp that's what we're going to ask them to do. You know, might happen all the time, but that's that's what we want them to achieve. And and like you said, there's there's spots up for grabs still in the batting line up. We want to we want to increase the depth there. So you know, anyone in domestic cricket that can put their hand up in this little phase is is probably going to get an opportunity in ODII cricket. And I think that's a real positive. So you know, we're looking for the depth in that batting line up in particular.
Speaker 2: Ben Toya, of course he's the coach and he's been re signed for another two years, has to be positive. He did look at the positives, but I think he understands there is a mess of golf that has to be bridged some way. Durian and I think we always knew that was going to be the case, didn't we.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did.
Speaker 5: I think everybody knows that they are slightly better side than New Zealand. The thing is when you when you lose matches, you tend to emphasize the good thing your team had done, you know, So New Zealand talk about have bended Molly Penfold's four wickets in the second game, and Bella James getting a couple of twenties on deve Boo and Maddie Green getting a cuple of thirty not out, you know, and you therefore you dig into the minuti of games where really, for me, the big message was they were both pretty one sided games, weren't they. And you said that one of your questions, you said.
Speaker 3: What about all the catchers.
Speaker 5: Our drop catchers anyway, they were pretty costly in the forty three wides, they were quite costly and three runouts and two of them involving Amelia Kerr, who's probably our best all round the ground player.
Speaker 3: So you know, there are certain things.
Speaker 5: And our bowler is you know, always going at five to six and over. So you know that may sound a bit harsh and we like to be as positive we can, but I mean, honestly, isn't a bad place to start. It's like the New Zealand teams saying no, we're a good catching team after the first Test, you know, not that day you weren't. So you know, it's a good place to start as a point of improvement. And then you begin the plans and establishing those and the work you need to do. It's a large task to generate more women players in New Zealand. Maybe I don't know, maybe our World Cup win will be the spark to generate a few of those. But you know, we we need more depths below it, We need more games, We need them to play.
Speaker 3: In different competitions if we can.
Speaker 5: So it's all money in the end, was for our for our in it, so so it's a question of priorities, I guess.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, they were a long way, long way short.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they've got games coming up to qualify for the next World Cup. So it would be interesting to see what kind of development they go through. But I guess they have to.
Speaker 3: Is that against India, we don't.
Speaker 2: Know, we don't know who they are because it'll be a time of players teams that haven't qualified for the Women's World Cup. Finally, I didn't realize that you were such a big star on Facebook, did you.
Speaker 3: Because I don't have it. I don't have Facebook.
Speaker 2: No, but you appeared or you were quoted or you were mentioned.
Speaker 3: It's interesting.
Speaker 2: It gets back to the sledging issue. I'll read you the exchange. I'm dropping this on you right out of the blue, Kevin and Patterson putting on the issue about Coley. He says, this is Melbourne, this is the home of the sledge. You don't survive playing in a suburban cricket in Footscray, Collingwood, Richmond without bringing the sledge and now the nudge. You've got to love Coley forgetting it and embracing Ossie culture. And a reply from one of your former teammates to Kevin Patterson say that wasn't sledging Melbourne or anywhere else. The cleverest sledger I ever saw was Jerry Coney, who was too clever for most. I didn't know you were a sledger.
Speaker 3: Just a quiet one.
Speaker 5: Was just a few little gentle words, usually from from in close, in close, on the off.
Speaker 2: Side, Ah, what was your best?
Speaker 3: But well, I don't know whether they were.
Speaker 5: They're not really they're not like you so and so or anything like that. It was more just suggestions, queries doubting their ability.
Speaker 3: We liked the look of that. We like the look of that, fellas Ef.
Speaker 5: You know what we were talking about last night, Evan Gray. Remember the thing we said about this player, this player, Shall we try that now?
Speaker 3: Okay? And well you know, and all those kinds of things.
Speaker 5: Really it was it was more suggestive than that sledging.
Speaker 3: Playing with the mind, yeah, that one.
Speaker 2: You were too clever for many of them, apparently, according to your former teammate, for which I am going to take issue, of course. But never mind. We will celebrate, We will celebrate New Year. I'm sure you will celebrate it, and we will be back in the new year with on the front foot. Have a good break and enjoy the celebrations of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: Absolutely all my best to everyone who listens, and those who don't, that's right, that's their problem, and I just hope you have a good a good time with your families and because that's what that's the time of the year, really, isn't it. So so the best best wishes from us.
Speaker 2: Indeed, Thanks Jerry Cares.
Speaker 3: Cheers once.
Speaker 7: Summer.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks at b listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.