Speaker 1: Kiyota.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. Tensions are high in the Middle East as Israel and Iran continue to trade strikes. It comes after Israel launched a surprise attack last Friday against multiple targets in Iran, including nuclear and military sites. Iran has retaliated and this back and forth shows no signs of stopping. Instead, both sides are threatening to escalate the conflict, with major international players now weighing in how big could this get and will.
Speaker 1: New Zealand have to pick a side? Today?
Speaker 2: On the Front Page, University of Otago International Relations Professor Robert Patman is with us to take us through the history and future of this complicated relationship. Robert, can you give us a brief overview of the tensions between Israel and Iran?
Speaker 3: Basically, the tensions have been long term and since at least two thousand and six. Mister Netna, who has been a prominent figure in Israeli politics for the last two and a half decades, has been one of those Israeli leaders that has denied the prospect of political self determination for the Palestinians, and Iran has tried to act as a sort of counterweight to Israel in the Middle East, if you like. Has presented itself as the leader of the resistance front and has supported groups like Hezbullah in Lebanon and also the Hooties in Yemen. In sure, it has regional ambitions to spread its influence beyond Iran, but it also has presented itself as a regional counterweight to Nesuna who's ambitions to settle Israelis in occupied territories, and under international law those settlements are illegal, so Netiya who has seen Iran as a bit of a target. And then there's been the nuclear factor Iran. It should be explained that during the Obama period there was quite a successful deal between Iran and the United States which postponed the prospect of Iran developing nuclear weapons for the foreseeable future. In return, all sanctions were lifted, and unfortunately, when mister Trump came into power in his first term in twenty seventeen, responded to pressure from the Nestinyahu government and withdrew from that deal, which meant that Iran was no longer bound not to develop nuclear weapons, and Trump believed, I suppose he could negotiate an alternative deal, something he didn't do in his first term, and he hasn't succeeded in his second term. Although recently there have been negotiations between the ira leadership and the Trump administration, and the Trump administration has indicated that it was quite hopeful that a settlement between Iran and the United States could be reached. Two weeks ago, the leading negotiator for Iran said that it was quite prepared to sign an agreement where Iran never developed nuclear weapons in return sanctions being lifted, and also Iran having the capability like Japan and Germany other countries which have never developed nuclear weapons but have nuclear energy for peaceful purposes in other words, nuclear power plant. A sixth round of talks was scheduled Sunday, but before they could occur, Israel has launched an attack on Iran which can only be described as reckless, unprovoked, immoral, and illegal under international law. So that's where we're at at the moment.
Speaker 4: Israel's dome pummeled, bombarded by Iranian missiles, some punching through.
Speaker 1: Wave after wave retaliation.
Speaker 4: Strikes targeting Israeli military size, but also landing direct hits on densely populated areas of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, killing at least three and enduring more than sixty.
Speaker 2: Well, this latest attack by Israel feels like it's been a long time coming. They've been targeting around proxies in the region since the October seven attack. And people may recall there was a bombing of an Iranian embassy in Damascus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why have they struck now after all of that, That's.
Speaker 3: A good question. Timing is important in politics. I think they believe that Iran has been seriously weakened because its proxies have been materially degraded by Israel's campaign. Hamas is an ally of Iran. It's a Palestinian organization, but it's been degraded. Has Bulla has been degraded by the Israeli invasion of Lebanon, and the Uti rebels has been degraded by a combination of American and Israeli strikes. So there may have been a perception that there will never be a better opportunity to go after what it sees as Iran's nuclear potential, It's potential to a nuclear weapon in the future. Of course, it could be argued that you can't obliterate the ability of a country to develop nuclear energy. Wants to know how is there. I think another objective, quite frankly, is regime change. I mean, the next you know who government doesn't make. If you look at these strikes, they're not just against nuclear facilities. They're attacking civil society economic assets like oil producing scites. There's over one hundred of them in Iran, and also they've attacked infrastructure. They've also assassinated nuclear scientists in these strikes, and much of the current leadership. And we know that Nesta, who recently asked permission just a few days ago to President Trump to assassinate the Supreme Leader. I told Holmeni that permission was denied. But that gives an indication of what the Israelis have in mind. But there's a couple of other motivations which get less less consideration than denuclearizing Iran or bringing about regime change, and that is deflecting pressure mounting pressure, deflecting the mounting pressure on Israel over the catastrophe in Gaza. The word catastrophe, by the way, is the word that mister Peters, the Foreign Minster in New Zealand uses to describe the situation, and I think another consideration here is that mister Nessigna, who, according to Israeli critics, needs a conflict to stay in power because he's facing significant corruption charges which are likely to be reactive as soon as Israel is at peace again. So while he can have the mantle of a wartime leader, those sort of issues don't surface too much, So you could say domestic politics has got a role as well. Chelsea.
Speaker 5: We are ready for any agreement whose aim is to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, because that is our own doctrine. It is our own belief that nuclear weapons are forbidden and prohibited. But if the purpose of an agreement is to deprive Iran of its nuclear rights, then naturally we are not prepared to accept such an agreement.
Speaker 2: Do you think all hopes for a deal around those nuclear weapons is off the table now completely.
Speaker 3: Iran has been quite shrewd during this crisis. It has reiterated it will de escalate if Israel does. But the problem is we're not getting any leadership from the United States at the moment. The United States, after all acknowledged that it knew of Israel's plans, but he didn't warn Israel not to go ahead because the United States was conducting negotiations with Iran to end the prospect that Iran would develop nuclear weapons, and both sides seemed to think there was some progress going on.
Speaker 1: Well, he said on social media.
Speaker 2: Didn't he that the strikes occurred on day sixty one of a sixty day deadline he gave Iran.
Speaker 3: Didn't say to Iran, if you get to the sixty day deadline, Israel will attack you. And I have full knowledge of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where do you reckon? He sits here?
Speaker 3: Then he's sitting on the fence. He's demonstrating incredible weakness. The thing he should have done is what President Eisenhower did with the Israelis when they launched an attack on Suez Canal in nineteen fifty six. He denounced their action and said they must stop. But President Trump, he should have been furious that Israel had derailed the negotiations, which his negotiating team re engaged in, which suggests maybe the negotiations were a bit of a charade and that they were done to lull the Iranians into a false sense of security. But you know, quite Frankly, the United States comes out of this looking pretty poor, in sense that its diplomacy appears to be duplicitous. It says it was a negotiated solution, but it doesn't denounce an ally that has sabotaged that prospect. It also says it may come in on the side of Israel in the conflict that's now occurred. Need'st be quite clear. What Israel has done is preemptive and aggressive and illegal under international law. But you don't hear any American diplomats expressing concern about that, and that, of course has big implications for most countries in the world, including her own.
Speaker 2: The UK has already moved some fighter jets to the Middle East, and UK Prime Minister Sir Kiir Starmer is not rolling out helping defend Israel. China, meanwhile, has warned against Iran's sovereignty being undermined. Are we already seeing countries pick sides here? Well?
Speaker 3: I think the British position is indefensible. How can you possibly stand for a rules based order when an ally has just driven the coach and horses through the UN Charter as Israel has, and you're gonna you know, you can't be one eyed about this. As a sovereign state under Charter Article fifty one, Iran is fully entitled to the right of self defense. But I'm hearing nothing from the British about Israel's about Iran's right of self defense. It's not Iran that has attacked Israel, it's the other way around. So it's an extraordinary it's extraordinary twisted logic where British Prime Minister says he's prepared to move military assets to provide enhanced defense for a country which has just attacked a regional neighbor, which is Iran.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's hard for countries to pick sides because it is kind of evil versus evil, so to speak.
Speaker 1: So who's the bad guy here? Who's bad a.
Speaker 3: Well, look, one of the reasons we have un Charter and have rules is to help provide guidance in this situation. But at the moment, you know, we have a situation where there is hypocrisy and cowardice and Eisenhower President Eisenhower was the last president, but no President Reagan also stood up to an Israeli ally, But at the moment we're not getting much clear and courageous leadership. What mister Necno has done is extremely dangerous and it's reckless, to say the least, and a lot of innocent people are being killed as a result. And yet liberal democracies are remaining relatively quiet, and they're playing into the hands of authoritarian forces in doing so. So you know, there will be a reckoning for this, and never again will countries like Britain be able to stand up and lecture others about human rights when in fact they are complicit in undermining the process of state sovereignty and the country's right to self defense by their actions.
Speaker 2: Well, Christopher Luxen arrives in China today for his first official trip there as Prime Minister. Would you expect this conflict to come up today in meetings?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would. I mean China has basically quoting the UN Charter and saying that Iran is the victim in this situation. It's the country that's been attacked and I would think that message will be conveyed quite rigorously to New Zealand and. To be fair, the New Zealand government I think has made some good statements in its response to what has happened. I think Christopher Luxen said that this was not a welcome development. There's no military solution to political problems. This is welcome words. But I think New Zealand also its interests are different to Britain and the United States. Both of those countries can exercise the VETO in the UN. We don't have a veto to protect our interests. We trade with more than one hundred countries in the world New Zealand and most countries in the world, that's the great majority of countries I would say, as high as one hundred and sixty one hundred and eighty somewhere in that region prefer international relations to be based on rules and principles and procedures. They do not like the unilateral and preemptive use of force.
Speaker 2: Where do you see this conflict going from here? I know it's early days, but both the USA and Russia have stakes in the region. Then there's nearby Turkey and Saudi Arabia and also has BLA in Lebanon. There are a lot of key players that could get involved here, isn't there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and China is a key ally of Iran, and China's been quite so far apart from saying that it's worried about the fact that the principle of state sovereignty has been trampled on which it has, of course, but let's hope cooler heads prevail. There's a G seven meeting coming up. I'm just disconcerted by the fact that we've had little leadership from countries which should be showing leadership on upholding key principles in relation. Let's be quite clear, if Israel is not sanctioned or faces any consequences for launching an unprovoked attack on another country, that sets a very bad precedent for anyone else in the international system. And unfortunately, in the twenty first century we've seen many other examples where countries have done similar things. We saw the Russian invasion of Ukraine and it made me chuckle actually when I saw mister Putin offer his services as a mediator between the Iran and Israelis, when in fact he's in no position to mediate because he's already trampled undermine the UN Charter of his actions in Ukraine. In short, we need much more authoritative international institutions to deal with situations which sovereign states are struggling to deal with.
Speaker 6: Look, it's very simple, not complicated. Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. Other than that, I want them to be successful. I want them to be trum, will help them be successful, will trade with them. We'll do whatever is necessary. You know, I stopped a war between India and Pakistan, and I stopped it with trade. Nobody. I don't think I've ever seen a story written about it, but it's pretty pretty cool. They were getting ready, Pakistan was now was there, turned ahead and eventually they're going to go nuclear and I stopped it. I called each I respect each leader greatly, I know them, and I spoke to them and I talked about trade. I said, but you're not trading with us if you're going to go to war, if you're going to start throwing nuclear weapons around. And I said it to both of them, and they were both unbelievable. Actually they understood it exactly. They stopped.
Speaker 2: Is there a moment we should be looking for, I suppose to indicate a bad turn of events.
Speaker 3: The current situation, to me, is unacceptable. It's unacceptable that the United States, the most powerful country in the world, is not giving a clear signal where it's stands on this issue. After allways, it's equipped and provided intelligence for an aggressive action. Launched by Israel on another country. I've got absolutely no brief at all for the government in Iran. It's a dictatorship and it doesn't treat its own citizens well. But you can't apply the formula because you don't like a government that you're free to replace it or try to replace it. After all, many authoritarian states don't like liberal democracies, and so you know, the world be reduced to absolute chaos if regime change was regarded as a legitimate tool of foreign policy. It's not. And ultimately, my concern about the current situation is that conflict will escalate. And my view is that the plight of the Palestinians has been it worsened by this situation. Israel has cut off aid again to the Gaza. The other thing here is and it needs to be openly discussed. There is no military fear for political problems. Why hasn't met and not been insisting on a meeting with hers leadership to try and sort these problems out. He can eliminate the whole of the Iranian government, but they will be replaced and many people will have memories of family relatives killed who didn't like the Iranian government but were nevertheless killed by Israel's actions. That's not going to generate good will towards Israel. And in short, there is not an engineering or military solution to political problems. Those problems can only be resolved through dialogue and discussion. They may be very tough talks to have, but the alternatives don't work very well either. We see escalating conflict with lots of civilian, innocent civilians being killed on both sides, and that is a terrible outcome. Yes, we should be worried about where this is going. None of us really know where it's going. I'm hoping that the efforts of countries like Saudi Arabia and Turkey will weigh I know that mister Erdowan and the Saudi government have spoken to mister Trump, and you know, it's important. I think that other liberal dromocracies speak out and don't just take the lead from the United States and the British because both of them seem to me very compromised on this issue. They're not disinterested observers, they are committed to Israel. Both of them have provided arms for mister Netnahu's campaign in Gaza. But there are a number of other liberal democracies like our own New Zealand consistently sought an immediate cease fire. On the twenty third of October twenty twenty three, we were the only member of the Five Eyes that voted for an immediate humanitarian truce in Gaza. We were subsequently joined in that mission or that quest, by Canada and Australia. Two months later they join New Zealand in demanding a permanent ceasefire in Gaza. But it's very important, I think, I think that countries like New Zealand do make it clear where they stand because these are you know, at the moment, this situation is escalating, and the weaponry on both sides is horrific, and we do need to conduct international relations on the basis of rules and principles rather than a Wild West situation where the guys with the biggest guns feel they're entitled to do what they want to do.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Robert.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's it for this episode of The Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzdherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sills and Richard Martin, who is also our sound engineer.
Speaker 1: I'm Chelsea Daniels.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to the front page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.