Speaker 1: You're listening to the weekend collective podcast from News Talks.
Speaker 2: It'd be resisting saying friend of the show. But she's a friend of the show. It's clear term, well high clear.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 4: I know it's been like literally eighteen years since I first started doing news. It was eighteen years ago. What, yeah, I'm serious. Yes, yeah, so I used to come in on Monday afternoons and every every week for on Monday afternoons with Joanny Watson And then.
Speaker 2: Really did you come in when you were a teenager or something?
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you very much writing in here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've lived in New Zealand for twenty years now and it was within the first couple of years. Yes, so I am a friend of the show.
Speaker 2: I'll take you in a long time. And we, of course we bumped into each other in Queenstown, weren't we sort of end of were we at the end of a holiday.
Speaker 4: Or yes, yes, end of you know, enjoying skiin yeah.
Speaker 2: The South Island and all that lovely. Yes, we're both managing our children and looking forward to.
Speaker 4: Actually having them being back at school's to be fair, like both of you and I we we were at the airport and We're like, yeah, did you have a nice time? Yes, but you glad your children.
Speaker 2: Are going back to fact, well, yes, we are always sad the holidays over. So yes, hey. Now, now, by the way, we'd love to have your calls because pleas always happy to take your questions about nutrition if you've gotten any queries about how you can eat better or make a difference in your life. And actually for everyone who calls, Claire is giving away a free consultation with one of your team as well as a planner to the value of I think it's aout three hundred bucks worth, isn't it clear?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so one of my dietians of nutritions that mission nutrition, a planner and an eye must to help you sleep better because even though I, you know, work in nutrition, my my work is much broader than that. Do a lot of stuff in the sleep space, in the psychology space. So okay, supporting people to be healthier and well generally across.
Speaker 2: So we'll pick a caller sort of at random, but not really what pick a caller who we think deserves the pack and give us a callight hundred eighty ten and eighty By the way, funny when you said I'm ask I because we live in this the data online age. I immediately thought an imask that it was something you plugged into a USB and it was as the letter I mask, and I thought, oh, what's an I mask? But of course you meant literally your eyes naturally, like.
Speaker 4: One of the best school and school that literally changes your life, Like it's so good.
Speaker 2: Now. The first thing I want to talk about is and it goes back to a conversation I had with a nutritionist, yolks Ago, and the solution it was it was about basically eating better and eating less in a way, but the way to eat less was to in this conversation was like, well, make sure you start the day with protein, because if you eat the wrong foods, it can make you want to eat more of the wrong foods. I guess, And so is the key to reducing your craving to eat is actually to eat just specifically better choices.
Speaker 4: It's it's giving your body the nutrition that it needs, and then it's not going to You're not going to, like you said, you're not going to be seeking out sugary foods and salty foods and lots of you know, too much caffeine and all these because we're just a machine. We're just you know, and we need certain fuel to keep our body working properly. And the unfortunate thing is, in our modern environment, it does not a lot of the food that exists does not reflect or I'll rephrase that, it's not that exists. A lot of the food that's readily available and promoted and in your face does not necessarily reflect what the body needs. It's really, you know, the rise of the processed foods is a disaster in the quantity that people eat them because they're not supplying the vitamins and minerals, the fiber that your body needs to feel full, to feel satisfied. So sometimes it's really actually going back to the basics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean it's funny. I always remember that advice, and so when I'm having breakfast, I am sort of a weird that if I just have toast, I say to myself, maybe is this going to make you hungry hungry later on? Yes it is, and then I will make sure that if I am hungry later on or heavy eggs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, it's really one of I mean, there's so many different nutrients that we need, our body needs, you know, carbohydrate, protein, fiber, all the vitamins and minerals. Right, the focus on nutrition or a real interest area at the moment that the spotlight's kind of gone back on protein again, particularly in the perimenopause, menopause will phase so in that phase of life, so for you might know a lot about this in this phase if you're not. The average age for woman to go through menopause is age fifty one, and perimenopause is the seven to ten years for the majority of people prior to that, so it's quite a long time. And the average weight gain during that time is around eight kilograms. Why is that because three things one, well more than three things, but here's basic. Three things. One, you become more resistant to insulin, so basically your body doesn't work with carbohydrate as well.
Speaker 2: As it used to.
Speaker 4: Hormonal changes, meaning that basically, you women that may have had larger bums and hips and smaller waists, you end up, you know, like a man, tend to stall store fat around your middle and then your muscle mass declines. So because your muscle masterclines, you basically become less metabolically efficient. What that means is you're burning less calories just and it's not your fault. That's just how it is. And that means that with very little change the way that you are eating and exercise, the average woman game around eight kilos, which is just not fair. But that's that's how it is. But one of the what this is where proteins become of real interest because it is one of the things that is important for It's not just building muscle mass, you know, for super people that want to get rolled big at the gym like it helps, it helps maintain healthy muscle mass.
Speaker 2: As protein the punch line it is, it's I guess it's I just said that because it sounds like a good line, and it was alliterative as well, well, but it sounded like it is the punchline too.
Speaker 4: Well, it's really what we What we know is that if you know, if you don't get enough protein in your meals, it's highly likely that you are going to want to keep eating. And there's a there's there's a theory called the protein leverage theory, which is essentially your body is like an amino acid, which is what a protein's made up of foraging machine, and if you don't get enough of the amino acids, that it needs it will make you keep eating.
Speaker 2: Okay until you get enough. Well, this is this is exactly what she said to you. That is the direction that we're going on. And how do we get that now? Okay, we've got some calls to get into eight hundred and eighty and eighty though, and we'll let's get into it right now, shall we. Yeah, let's do it. Steve Hi, how you doing good? Thank you good?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 6: So yeah, I would. I'm a coach and I would consider myself a high performance coach, and one of the key aspects at the foundation are sleeping, eating and exercise. Eating one is probably more challenging for me from a psychological point of view to convey because players on my team come from different cultures and what they think is a good cardcarb or diet. Really really struggle with how to deal with the cultural issues around diet and health, and it really challenging.
Speaker 4: So I used to work in professional rugby for many years, and I fully understand, you know, the challenges, and it's just you've got to meet people where they're at right and actually move people in ways which work for them. And you know, when I was working in a professional sport, it was very much the small wins and sometimes actually you know, changing the protein, getting them to drink more, swapping, you know, even just a variety in their carbohydrate was a win because I was never ever going to get some of those guys that had, you know, that was part of who they were to change. And food is so important to us on many levels. And if some people it depends in sports. Some people will be like, right, great, that's I'll try anything, and other people it's very difficult, particularly if they're not the main cook in the house or they you know, they live with parents and stuff. But it's trying to meet people where they're at. And this is with anything in well being and move wherever you can move.
Speaker 6: Pull.
Speaker 4: You need to pull different leavers for different people.
Speaker 2: What specific battles have you got with your the people that you work with, Steve.
Speaker 6: Oh Well, the challenge is their high school students or college students. Here is that it's upon the parents in terms of what they feed them and how they feed them. And I am really aware I have you know, you could see some of the eating patterns even when we come to a gathering and we put food together. But because of the cultural differences in terms of my role as a coach is you know, as a pakisa, it's very difficult for me to convey the message. I have the right intent, but I still haven't figured how to broker it. So it's an ongoing challenge.
Speaker 4: I used to do cooking lessons and this is what I used to do. So I would get the boys in and we would all kind of it was interesting, and they would they would bring ideas of what they would bring it home, and we made healthier versions of them and tried to tweak some of the recipes and things. They brought family recipes in, and we went through processes of going, oh can we swap this and swap that. It's just trying to understand that and see where you can move.
Speaker 2: I reckon, Steve, you start with the line, man, that food looks delicious, but let's see if let's let's have a look at it and see if it's really helping us achieve what we want to achieve on the sporting field, and just you know, start with the compliment and then get tough. Get tough anyway, Thanks Steve, cheers. All right, let's go to Beryl. Hello, Hello Tom.
Speaker 7: Then clear clear just what I wanted to bring up is that I know you're never adopted, you're nutritionals. Butt's keep your point of here. Do you think that having too much sugar in your diet can cause XMA?
Speaker 4: That's a very good question. My mum's actually an x men. My mum, my mum and dad a doctor and a nurse, and my mum specialized in exmas. Good question, I really like in terms, I would say no, Like I know that you're going to say lots of There'll be lots of books and there'll be lots of people online that will say that like the way that people eat, there can be definitely certain dietary triggers for some people though, dairy, for some eggs in younger people. But sugar is just like when you eat a piece of bread, it breaks down in your body to sugar. Like it's just like I know that people like to think that, you know, brown sugar or white sugar.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, if you sugar is sugar.
Speaker 4: Any carbohydrate turns into sugar in your body anyway, you know, Like it's just it's just a long chain of sugars joined together. That's all it is. So I would say, you know, the main things I have suffered with EXMA a lot in my life. So once you've kind of done there's you know, go and see your GP or if it's somebody else, get skin prick tests to see if there's any allergies. What are the key things that I you know, obviously your detergents, your water. For me, I have suffered with exma so badly for so many years and did all the dietary things. It ended up being chlorine. And I have got a chlorine filter in my house because I use all the eco things. You know, no, no, everything's no perfumed. I can't wear all these different things chlaoring. I knew, I know that I can't go into a swimming pool, But then it's the chlorine in my house, and it makes like the most difference. I've got a chlorine filter, and I've not used any steroid cream or any antibiotics ever since I moved into that house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good stuff. Hey, just a question, thank you, Beryl. I am just on the sugar thing. So I've this is I made pancakes for my kids as a reward for just being good girls today. Yes, and I make my pancakes with buttermilk and flour and there's there's a bit of sugar and there making syrup and stuff, and it's something about the making them with the butter milk and milk. Anyway, I didn't funny, I was expecting that I would be starving at lunch time and I wasn't, And I was wondering why, because there's a.
Speaker 4: Decent amount of protein in buttermilk. I'm trying to think.
Speaker 2: Because they are because the buttermilk makes some rise really nice and.
Speaker 4: They feel quite sort of it's kind of like cottage cheese is if anyone's seen like cotta cheese has gone like crazy on the internet, like on TikTok and Instagram. Oh my god. But it's perfely like supermuckers are selling out of cotton cheese because it's very high in protein for its volume, and maybe buttermilk's the same. I actually, I'm off the top of my head, I don't know. But you know, eggs in there was eggs in there.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the three Well it was made pancakes for four and there's three eggs in there. There's not a lot of protein buttermilk, but there's two hundred grams of buttermilk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so maybe well, I'll have to check out.
Speaker 2: We'll have to do that in the break because we need.
Speaker 4: To know because because basically you need around twenty to twenty five grams obviously highly variable from person to person of protein per meal. So breakfast, lunch, dinner, some people need all, some people need less, and to kind of feel satisfied and get what you need. And one of the biggest problems, particularly in here in New Zealand, with the way that we eat is it's tend to skewed towards high protein dinner. You know, one piece of ham in your sandwich at lunch and a tiny bit of milk or yoga at breakfast. I mean that is you're talking, you know, eight nine grams of protein not enough. So the distribution of protein is important. And I can only hope that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to we're going to while we're going to take a break, and we're going to google the amount of protein. And right now, just because my my pancakes are kind of awesome. In fact, I generally think whatever I cook, I'm the best in New Zealand at but that's probably overstating my ability. Anyway, twenty one and a half past four eight one hundred and eight ten eighty Jan and Kelvin and next a couple of spear lines there and as we as we mentioned at the start, all our callers, we will be from our callers selecting one person to receive a free consultation and a planner and an im asked to the value of three hundred bucks back in a moment. It is when he two passed four news talks'd be you know, yes, welcome back to the health I'm to bevers. My guest is clear turnball, by the way, clear turnbull dot co dot n Z. And that's Claire with an I.
Speaker 4: Yes, all the latter.
Speaker 2: As the fourth letter, by the way, no weird spelling c L A I R E. Turnbull at clear turnbull dot curtain z.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Let's Cary on with the call. Show it clear?
Speaker 3: Yeh?
Speaker 2: Jan Hello?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 9: Him? And Claire Hello? Hi. I saw her on the seven Chart program last week. That's Hillary. So we're talking thing to a nutritionist, wasn't you what's it.
Speaker 4: Not last week?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 4: I don't think it was last week. No, I don't know. No, tell me what the story about.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they were talking about flatulence, and I think the nutrition iss that it was caused by fiber. But I have found in I'd like your opinion on it with a certain foods like cabbage, onion and peas, things like it causes.
Speaker 4: So what we've got to remember is, yeah, so basically when food you've tuned it, it's gone through stomach and it goes into your intestine. One of the things that happen is it ferments, so you've got no oxygen down there, you get anaerobic fermentation. What does that cause gas? We all make gas. It's perfectly normal. It's normal for your stomach to increase in size after eating right. And the fact of the matter is, but there are some foods that increase the amount of gas that is produced and therefore increased flatulence, and you are absolutely onto it. These foods are things like cabbage of the brassica, pulses, so lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, onions, garlic, and for people who've got irrital bow syndrome, those foods are can be problematic in large amounts and they have to manage the amount of it. So absolutely certain types of food can cause gas, and it's just managing the amount that you have.
Speaker 2: So great question, Thank you, No, Hey, thanks for your call. John. Actually, I remember at some stage that there was some product in the States called beano and it was and it said, have a teaspoon on your first mouthful of beans and it will stop the fletulance because it contained an enzyme to help you break down the beans. Is that likely to be true or possibly?
Speaker 4: Because essentially there's a certain So carbohydrates are like chains of sugars joining together, like really really really long chains, and it's carbohydrates of certain lengths, like you know, let's just say eight to twenty in a row. I don't quote me on that that caused these problems. So it may break those chains down so that they're different sizes. So yes, it that may be possible. But I mean, also if that was the solution, I feel like there's so much work that's gone on and health recently. I feel like that would be in every supermarket. So well, we never know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm surprised that what haven't used the haven't used the baked beans good for your heart, bean makes Baked beans make you out the more you fight the video feel, So eat baked beans for every man, every real.
Speaker 4: If you buy canned legumes, just to let you know, Chickpy's kidney beans. If you want, you need to rinse them very very well so that the liquid that they're in is not going to be you know, you don't. I've seen some people and they like throw it straight in the can and in the dish.
Speaker 2: That will make you particularly flegellent.
Speaker 4: Particularly flatulent. Yes, so good rinsing.
Speaker 2: Sonorous could even be the word.
Speaker 4: Yes, It's all part of the normal human process.
Speaker 2: I wonder if anyone who eats a can of baked beans without thinking, oh, this is going to have an effect. Anyway, let's carry on. It's enough of my pure humor. I Calvin, Hello, Hello there.
Speaker 10: Tim, and Gorath and and clear. I've always enjoyed eating different vegetables, you know, raw, and I particularly like swede, which I've always peeled them. Yeah, and when you eat a raw swede, that creamy colored one, not that there's some other white ones which look like giant reddish the proper swede. When you eat them raw, it just tastes to me like carrots. So maybe Tim should try it. But the actual skin on the outside, I peel it. I haven't tried eating that yet. But here's my question. When I buy carrot. I always buy nice, nice smooth carrots from the supermarket, and I never peel them. I just rinse them. But I've seen on cooking programs which I never follow. Yeah, but I well, very small amount of it. But last week in the soup market was the first time ever I'd seen carrots with the green stalks, not the fuzzy leafy things on the end, but just the green stalks, probably two or three inches long. And here's the big time question. I've never sort of eaten that stalk.
Speaker 1: Is that all?
Speaker 10: What is that all about? Because that seems to be the way they dished them up on these fancy Yeah.
Speaker 2: My guess is you don't eat it. It's just there for Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know, because some some you know, with some with some vegetables, for example, that it is dangerous to eat the leaves. I don't know, to be completely honest with you, whether you can eat carrot leaves or whether you can eat the I think you probably. I feel like you probably come that. I don't want to say that. Were they serving them on the program, Yes.
Speaker 10: On the plates, yep, all cooked up with you know, with other vegetables. But I've I had boiled up beetroot leaves, you know, the red le leaves, and they taste just like sort of cabbage. So that's okay. But I've just been curious about the carrots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I feel like I've eaten the top of you feel like I've eaten the top of cats. We're now fascinated.
Speaker 2: You did you know, Calvin that carrots didn't well you probably know this, actually, you know lots of things that they wh Yeah, they were either white or pale yellow, and they were domestic purple or orange.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well the whole reason that they became orange was because that's a national color of the Netherlands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does sound like a preposterous idea, but it's got something to do with that. Yeah, hey, good on your coven. By the way, I didn't have any potatoes the other day, and I remember we were doing something. I thought, maybe I'll just boil and then fry some carrots along with some broccoli. What's the nutritional value of carrots? Because they did taste nice and sweet? Nice thinking they do? Are they really sugary? Are they good for you? Or what they do?
Speaker 4: Have it? They do?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 4: On all vegetables are on like all things are on a spectrum, right, And yes, they are sweeter vegetables than other things, but they come with the fiber in the problem is when you start juicing them, right, because then when you're ducing, your removing the fiber. When you just wash them, keep the skin on the outside, and you're eating them whole as part of the vegetables, you do not need to matter. You know. Variety is the absolute thing to go for with vegetables because the color of them is a benefit. So yeah, yes, they are sweeter, and the problem really comes when people juice a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Actually juice's bad ideas. Just eat the vegetable because you have a glass of water. Yes, actually, oh my goodness, did I give some good nutrition?
Speaker 4: Well done?
Speaker 2: Okay, right, let's take some more calls. Leslie Hello, yea.
Speaker 5: Hi him clear Hello.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I suffer from sort of naise or at times when I eat certain foods, like I drink quite a bit of coffee in the day, and I kick myself and I've got quite an acid stomach, and I'd like to sort of getting more alkaline bath. Yes, can I do?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So that's really well, the first thing if that's a challenge for you. It's important to go to your doctor. Well, next time you go to your doctor, check in with them. Yeah, just to check that you have got not got helokoback to pylori, so you can get a bacteria that overgrows in the stomach which can cause that problem. So it's very nice that the stomach is an acidic environment. It's meant to be. It needs to be because when food has left your mouth, it goes into the stomach and the acid is essential. It kills the bacteria and it makes it safe for the rest of the food to be absorbed. So it's not that we want we don't want our stomach to be our clime. We want it to be acidic. We just don't want that acid coming back up our backup the pipe it came down, right, So we do want an acidic stomach. But obviously if it's causing you symptoms and it's feeling painful, what you've got to say is so we know that if you're too much caffeine, too much alcohol can cause that spicy food. But again, one of the key things is to just check that it's not one of these bacterial overgrowth kind of problems in there, So go and get that check from your GP first, because you don't. People often start on antacids for like years and years and years and they don't look at the kind of key problem the other thing, which is not eating too late at night. So if it's this is often a problem for people in the evening. You need to give your stomach a rest before you lie down, because that's when the food can kind of the acid comes out of the stomach and goes back up woods and that can cause a problem. Yeah, big gap.
Speaker 2: There, Thanks Leslie. Thanks for you col Just a quick question. I did remember someone telling us that potatoes once they've been cooked and called having.
Speaker 4: A lower glicy mac connect. Yes, why is there because the start changes. So again, when we think a carbohydrates are just chains of sugars joined together, right.
Speaker 2: And even if you reheat them, it's still.
Speaker 4: Basically it just changes the way in which they are. It's like that the different shapes. If you imagine these these little circles are all in somewhere in stars and some are in lines, and and if you imagine that, basically, when you cook a potato and then you cool it, the shape of it kind of changes, and it has what's called a lower GLACI theic index, which will lower your blood sugar level, Like won't have as high an impact on your blood sug level. So cool. Potatoes are great, but most people eat mixed meals anyway, like you eating potatoes with protein and fat, which in itself reduces funny.
Speaker 2: I have just noticed that potatoes when we've eaten, when we've called them and then reheated them, I actually I think I almost prefer these you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I agree, makes.
Speaker 2: Them feel like more newer potatoes.
Speaker 4: They're quite potato salad young.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah. Potato cella for years, got so much talking about yeah yeah, well we yeah, exactly right. We're going to be back in just a moment with your calls and questions. Got some interesting ticks too, we'll get to as well. If you have ticks to us, said two or three. I'm going to pick out there and Joe as next. But there are some spear lines on I went on, it's twenty four minutes to far news talks. You'd be yeah, you're back with the health AP. I guess nutrition is clear, turnbull clear, turnbull dot code atis before you go, some more calls clear which are lining up. Here's a couple. I had jaw surgery on Monday, and I'm on a non cheue diet for six weeks. I'm already sick of smoothies, mesh, vegetables, and yogurt. Any ideas for things to eat?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I did that back in Nah.
Speaker 2: I should have given you a warning about the ones.
Speaker 4: I used it when I worked in hospitals. I help people do this all the time. It's it's a real bore. I mean, I'm not gonna lie. That is a really it's a real challenging thing. There is only so many things that you can can you wait for the day that you can have smat is it got to be completely soft, I mean even no chewing, no chewing, So I mean maybe it's just different things to stick in your smoothies, mesh, vegetables and yogurt. I guess it's mash fish, like you know some people when I was working with older people who have swallowing issues who have to continually eat like that forever. You get quite clever with making like fish with cheese, sauce and like literally mashing it Like sauces are good. Gravy is good, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like like a tuna sort of thing which has been mixed up with a bit of something.
Speaker 4: It's really like it's if you actually start with the kind of soft food and even when you like overcook pasta, like it goes really really soft, and you do it in like a cheese sauce, that kind of thing can actually well. And even mints with mints, And I actually learned this when I was My brother lives in France, and this is how they kind of make up. You use a blend, you know, using a blender, and that's how you make a really good lasagna. Actually you get the mints and you blitz it up a little bit because you can. That can be done so that hopefully, I know it's hard. It's not from working in hospital.
Speaker 2: Scrambled eggs can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just about the way that you It depends how much you can open your mouth, like this is the like it all. It all depends on where you're at.
Speaker 2: It's got go through a straw. That's as opposed to if it's a mushy thing on a spur.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, if it's got to go through a straw. There is only so many options that are going to be there. If you are going to in a week or two time get to the point where you've got a bit more space and you're able to have soft food, then there's more options. But it is I appreciate it's a very challenging six weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, sorry, we can't really help you apart from mix up your vegetables and just stick it all on the blender and see how you go. That must actually sources.
Speaker 6: Maybe can you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And there's you know, there's some really good there's I mean, you should have been given some guides by I would hope.
Speaker 2: They probably probably Yeah, yeah, okay, thoughts and prayers for you there. Okay. One other texts before you go to our calls is Hi, guys, what foods are good for lifting your mood? I'm posting in and pausal, I've seen big changes in my mood over the years. Appreciate your thoughts.
Speaker 4: That's from sooths So such a good question. So one of the keith that there's so many good important things here. Absolutely making sure that you're getting five to six vegetables to day. Like we know that the evidence around eating enough fruits and vegetables makes a big difference to people's mood having oily fish, so like there's there's higher doses of a Mega three, So it may even be if you're not having oil fish a good couple of times a week, looking at a really good quality a Mega three supplement would be something to look at if you are and then having high fiber foods. I mean, the main thing, if you are continually struggling with your mood and you are eating you know, plenty of whole fruits and vegetables, lots of fiber, lots of Amiga three, those oily foods, and you are in that phase, it isn't you know, go and talk to a doctor about whether you can any hormonal support might help there, because it is just and honestly, it's just something that some people don't have to you don't have to put up with because there's only so much that you can do if your hormones are playing against you and you need, you know, maybe to make.
Speaker 2: By the way, sadines are they yes solo?
Speaker 4: Yeah good?
Speaker 2: I just want to check that. And that's a nice retro food three as well as yeah, bring back the sardine, right, Let's carry on, Joe high.
Speaker 8: That's good. Afternoon, till then, Claire, Well love startines for a start that I'm a full time caregiver for my partner who had a brain bleed some years ago, and so I have to it can't swallow very well. As you just mentioned, I do a bit of mishmash. But my main concern is nails are very very fungus like and a lot of kerotine underneath, and so I'm just wondering what would be the best foods or foods to remove. Of course, he lacks a lot of sugary things, and I removed that. I give him a lot of aviga trees and and lots of and protein, but he really if I was on there, you just need to kick somel days. And that's the problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so challenging, and I feel I feel for you that it's just it's you know, you're doing a great job. It's a it's a big thing. And it's really hard to control someone else's food when they've got their own likes and tastes and things. I mean, what we know for healthy skin, hair and nails they cut. Some of the key things are getting adequate protein. So making sure that his meals have got plenty of protein and is important for all of those different things. Zinc which is in seafood, so making you know adequate fish and other types of seafoods are really good as well as red meat is a really good source of zinc. So those are the kind of the key things in terms of the and vitamin sea sapprenty fruits and vegetables. When it comes to like I think you said, a fungal infection or an issue with the thickening of the nail that may not be related to nutrition at all and be something that you would definitely be worth going talking to your doctor about because it may be some infection that actually needs to be true with medication rather than nutrition. So if you've got the kind of basic spectrum, right, I definitely seek extra support from your GPM if there's a particular fungal problem with the nail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, thanks for you call, Joe. Let's keep it moving John.
Speaker 8: Hello, Hello, good afternoon.
Speaker 6: My wife she's type two diabetes.
Speaker 8: Yes, what she has found is that.
Speaker 11: Eggs help keep.
Speaker 1: Her or drop two childar levels. What's your type on network?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, basically different people have different responses in but you know, eggs are protein and fat, so they don't have any carbohydrate in them, so they're not going to cause rise in bloogic levels like bread, pasta, rice or any other carbohydrate containing food. So I mean that doesn't mean, you know, people with diabetes do not need to avoid or carbohydrate, but they need to be quite specific about the type and amount. But you've raised a really good point, which is what Tim and I were talking about before, is the importance of making sure that you get enough protein in each of your meals, which is important for everybody, but particularly with type two diabetes because that will help with the blood sugar level management.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, or good John, thanks for call. Right, let's go to Kevin.
Speaker 11: Hello, Yeah, how are you too?
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 11: Things?
Speaker 9: Good good?
Speaker 11: I've got a couple of handy tips for cooking.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 11: The first one is, well, you know, it could be any fish, but you know I can put it here that a decent size of snapper pillop, yeah, Russia punt in the man to oven bag. Just tuck an under punt in the microwave for a minute fifty seconds and you will never have fish any other way.
Speaker 4: No quick, quick and easy in the microwave.
Speaker 2: Really, why is it so good.
Speaker 11: It's still you'd have to try to believe it. It's incredible. You know. You know how you can steam fish, Yeah, and that tastes not too bad. But put in the microwaves as quicker and not as much meat.
Speaker 4: Well, if that keeps you, it keeps you eat anything that gets people eating more fish.
Speaker 2: I'd still want to fry it with a little bit of butter, Or still wouldn't they actually actually just a quick one on the frying with a little bit of butter. So like if I did the carrots and ball them, and I think I fancied as being a bit like a cheft, so I, you know, toss them in the frying pans, just with a bit of butter and toss them around till they've got a bit of a going to them. Got a bad idea, or you're not too worried. The thing is it may eat them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, having some saturated fat in your diet is fine. So I use butter when I make scrumbled eggs, I.
Speaker 2: Use butter butter.
Speaker 4: But but I don't But I don't eat a lot of pastry. I don't eat lots of biscuits and processed food that's got a lot of process I think that there's room to have a little bit of cream, a little bit of butter if you're not eating like all of the processed food and I you know, I have thee meat, I eat a lot of fish. So if I want to make my scrumbled eggs with a bit of butter, it's fine. But if people are eating a lot of the other fattier foods and processed foods, you know.
Speaker 2: Now is it safe to say on that? So you know how the salt is the devil and people talk about you've got to watch a man of sodium. You having a new diet, and so my wife will sometimes mentioned to me, should you be seasoning that or something? And my argument is like, darling, we don't need any processed foods. Adding salt to taste is safe as how it's is unless you've but of course it's going to be a point where you overdo it. But we do. If you're doing your own cooking and seasoning to taste, is that still potentially a problem or generally you'll make.
Speaker 4: That's how much? And you know so in New Zealand, I think it's around seventy percent of our salt comes from processed food, and in process food the salt is not iodized, which is a problem because we we need I we need id in right. But if you're not, and you're like me and we have very lit a processed food, you know you can have a little bit of salt. The main thing is with your salt grinder. It is amazing how much can come out in a very palm your past, because that is you know, it's it's we really need to be getting less. So it's just like, yes, having a little bit. But what we've got to remember with salt is that your palate gets used to a certain level of salt, and therefore, if you want to take the balance out there, it is using slightly less, which for a couple of weeks will be like me and this taste a bit bland, But then you recalibrate your taste buds. Okay, so it's it's split in the middle. Yes, a little bit in cooking is fine in your situation, but a little bit when you're using a salt grinder, a little bit cantain a lot well.
Speaker 2: Actually, and I say it's always worth holding it in your palm and just giving it a twist because if you're putting it onto a light colored food, you may not actually see how much salt's coming out. That's the trip, by the way, on the pastry front, I think I'm going to get you around to.
Speaker 4: Tri microsotic us that I've seen so many peoples.
Speaker 2: I just want to see Clear Turnbull not getting stuck into one of my arm and pastries. And then I'll tell her what went into it. And I don't care who cares. It's delicious. It's a treat anyway. Eight minutes to five news talks he'd.
Speaker 3: Been you can see.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the health. Sorry is busy having a chat with Claire about my cross song and the and the and the the armored cross song I make anyway. But back to business. My guest is Clear Turnbull, and we were giving away. We are giving away, I say word, because we've made a decision a consulting, free consultation and a planner as well as an imask. And the winner of that is our caller, Steve, who has young rugby players who he's trying to influence on their eating habits and get past the sort of cultural traditions they have on stuff they eat. So Steve you're the winner.
Speaker 4: Congratulations yep.
Speaker 2: So our producer will be giving you a course Steve to get your email and Clear will be in touch with that. We've got about forty seconds to go. Actually, you haven't watched much of the Olympics, have you, because you're so flawed out.
Speaker 4: I know, I'm desperate to and I was when I walked in here and you've got all the flags going and I'm like, oh, this.
Speaker 2: Is this right. The fun fact was we're discussing this is that a lot of those top athletes, you know, in terms of nutrition, they can get away with all sorts of sins, can't they.
Speaker 4: They can eat a lot, they can eat a lot. Anyway, Yeah, I'm sure there's been a lot of organization and planning to get the nutrition right to get their sporting.
Speaker 2: Exactly on top four. Hey, thanks for coming and Clear lovely to see you and Clear Turnbull dot co dot Nz.
Speaker 4: That's great, thank you and we'll look forward to next time.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to news Talk z it Be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.