Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. This is Sportsfix Howard by News Talk said B.
Speaker 2: Hi there and welcome into the back end of your week. The last day of the Monday to Friday week, the last day of February twenty eight to February twenty twenty five, to be precise. This is the Sports Fixed podcast. My name's Jason Pine.
Speaker 3: And I'm Darcy Watergrave. Not looking forward to autumn, but there you have it. It doesn't matter. The weather is fantastic regardless.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is here in Wellington. I know it is where you are as well, and who knows, we might get the extension of summer. But rather than try a hand at amateur meteorology, let's stick to what we're We're kind of good at what we're what we're supposedly paid for, and that's to talk a bit of sport. There's a weekend coming up with lots of things happening in it. I want to kick around Super Rugby and the start of the NRL season with you.
Speaker 3: Who have we got coming up?
Speaker 2: In terms of a guest today from.
Speaker 3: Brea Tate joins us Pineys. We take a look forward to the action coming up in Las Vegas and indeed the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Brilliant staff and the latest and sports news as well. So let's get into it. In other news, let's get things going with a look at some of the big sports stories around today. I hint the Chiefs are likely to look within when they begin the process to replace Clayton McMillan after the season. Chief CEO Simon Graffers says they have good options on the current staff to take over.
Speaker 4: View at the stage is I think we've got really good capability internally and so I think there's some really good contenders internally.
Speaker 2: The Black Stacks women have come from a goal down to beat Scotland three to one and secure passage through to the semi finals at Hockey's Nations Cup in Santiago.
Speaker 3: Scotland have taken the keeper off. There's a chance share for New Zealand to just rampone the paint that.
Speaker 5: Sarah staff as superbly from a tightangle.
Speaker 2: And no easing into his latest new sporting venture for former All Blacks loose Ford Liam Messim who tackle iron Man New Zealand and toeport tomorrow. While many get him to the sport through the half iron Man distance, Messa says he had a friend who did that and decided that it wasn't for him.
Speaker 6: I watching half the movie, leaving in retunity to watch. And then also I just did not want to fill the pain twice because if I don't half and mentally I knew that I had to do that again and double it. So physically probably more mentally be able to do that.
Speaker 1: Dissecting the sporting agenda, It's Sports Fix with Jason Vain and Darcy Walter Grave.
Speaker 3: Brent Take joins the program. Now as we take a look at the start of the n r L, all the glamour and glitz of Las Vegas. Sprent, welcome, plainly you're not over there. Did you not get the invite or does Las Vegas? Las Vegas terrorize you?
Speaker 4: I'll probably a bit of both, to be honest, that no knowing might mate. So it did make my way over, but I certainly will in the next couple of years make my way over to watch his game for sure.
Speaker 3: Great way to start the season. You think you're down with this now they've got one under the belt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's an awesome way to start the season. Mate. I think, you know, just the hype that's around it, the amount of people that are over there, and what it's done for I guess, you know, the the amount of money that it's pumped into Vegas and how much they've received it well so, and you know, I think everyone back home he is excited to see the season kick off over there. So I made I love it. I love the idea. I think it's straight to the really pushing the boundaries and taking fo you to a different market. So I can't see too many negatives about it.
Speaker 3: Will it actually get traction there? I suppose the whole idea is to get more eyeballs and get more interested in rugby league. That's a pretty tall order in the United States of America, isn't it. Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 4: But you've got to try and look the amount of you know, publicity, and you know, even back home, you know, everyone's talking about it. Everyone you know is you know, anyone I speak to, you know can't wait for the weekend happen. And you know, I think the eyeballs that they had on it last year and the amount of interest it's it's peaked again this year made you know, whilst it is a bit of a gamble and it is hard to get some traction over in America, you've got to be in at the winter. I just think it's a great idea and you know, proof will be in the pudding after five years. But you know, even after five years we've kicked the season off the way we have, I can't see us looking back and saying it didn't work. Really, I think it's a it's a wonderful way to kick off a.
Speaker 3: You that's keyies aren't too happy with Peter valandis because he kind of teams on ignoring us when it comes to our second team, but that's another story. Regardless whether you like him or not, you've got to give him credit for the bullish way he goes about things. The guy is a He's an achiever, isn't He looks up and fights.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, mate, I think he's been awesome for Lea, you know, certainly obviously you know through that COVID period without him at the helm, Mate, I hate I'll shut it to think where we'd be. And we're as healthy as we've ever been under Peter Landis. And as you said, he's not want to just sit down and see it. He does push the boundaries, and I guess as a chairman, that's what you've got to do. You've got to set some high goals and shoot for the stars. And certainly, you know rugby Leage's never been in better positions. So yeah, be interesting to see what he does with that that, you know, the twentieth team or whenever that comes about. Yeah, it'll be interesting because that you know, we're hearing a lot about it in the last few weeks. And yeah, I think another team in New Zealand would be wonderful, but yeah, we'll have to sit back and see.
Speaker 3: I guess only one team in New Zealand now, and they're not here. They're over in Vegas about to take on the Raid. Has had a crazy year and then last year it kind of all just slipped away. So back now to the drawing board. Some big changes within this team, notably a Fisher Harris turning up of course, so we lost our other rather large prop too, which could be considered a blow. But I don't like for like, I'd rather have fish, wouldn't you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, look, I think it is a bit of a light for like fanil Baker's obviously a wonderful player. Probably a little bit unsettling there in the last year at the Warriors. But yeah, may look when I think back to the Warriors every time, you know, the club seems to have some expectation around finishing well or you know, make having a top four side for someone known reason. Just in the past, even when I was there, we never really handled it well. And I think that was probably very similar last year. So you know, they sort of go into the season fine under the radar a little bit. Mate, I really like the team. I think you know that you're just as strong as what they are last year, you know, even though you've lost some really big names. But yeah, I think it's a really good team. I'm really looking forward to watching them play this year. I'm hoping to have a good year.
Speaker 3: Well, we've got Aroon Clark coming in and that's a big shoes. He's got the fill and Taho Harris real shame for the game that he's gone. I think there's a lot of eyes on this returning player, someone definite to look out for. And then I'm on the other side of it, well, in the halves, know Sean Johnson is quite the better on there, isn't it Brian for the Sex and seven roles, and that's going to be intriguing over the next few weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just on Aaron Clark, I reckon he's a really good player, mate. I think he's excellent. I personally think he'll do really well in that thirteen spot. And I get the feeling that, you know, Andrew Webster has put a lot of faith in him, and I think he's that sort of player that to repay that faith with good performances. So I think he's a really good player. I like him, But I really like Metcalfe. I think he's a wonderful young half and if he can stay fit for you guys, he's had some injury troubles the last couple of years, I think he's going to be a really good player. So you guys have got some depth of warriors in the halves, which is good. You know, not many teams have that depth that you guys have got, so there is some options there. But look, there's plenty of plenty of intrigue around this team. Yeah, as I said, when you've got to play a like two of us, a check on the wing mate. You've got a pretty handy back line and a pretty handy team.
Speaker 3: Another huge year, looking forward to our love rugby league. Who's got a massive break? You actually start salivating for the game and it's getting going on Sunday, New Zealand time, Brent take thanks so much for your time. Don't change your number. May I'll be pestering you for the rest of the season, Chairs bro.
Speaker 4: Good only make go the Warriors this weekend sportstacks.
Speaker 2: The start of any new season in any sport brings with it a sense of optimism untarnished by anything in the way of results. For the next couple of days, and for the only time in the next seven months, all seventeen NRL teams are on exactly the same number of points, their seasons stretch ahead of them, full of hope, expectation and dream outcomes, many of which, of course, will be dashed after just a few matches. This is the scenario currently faced by Warriors fans who begin their annual love affair with their rugby league team. Like any relationship, it's not all sunshine and rainbows.
Speaker 3: Far from it.
Speaker 2: Both parties go in with the best of intentions, will support you we'll win for you. But the path too happily ever after is be set on all sides with memories of seasons past and the many and varied obstacles of the current season. Injuries form suspensions, off field matters where they travel, and other teams just being better. These and several other factors will come into play between now and the end of the season. You could say this Warrior side isn't as strong as last year's. No Shawn Johnson, no Tohu Harris, no Adam for Nouah Blake, no Marcello Montoya, no Jazz Tavanga dlan Wa Tennis Lesniak out for the first chunk of games, But even so it still looks like a pretty good team. James Fisher Harris, of course, is a massive pickup, Aaron Clark is back, and there are a corps of players who, on their day, could form the base of a team that may very well replicate what the Warriors did in twenty two three, and, who knows, maybe even go a little bit better. That's what I'm going to go with anyway, because if you can't be optimistic ahead of round one, when can you up the wars our year?
Speaker 1: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsfax.
Speaker 2: And to the Chamber we go and on Friday, as per usual, there is a big weekend of sport to look forward to. Want to get to the start of the NRL season in Vegas shortly, but Super Rugby dars round three of Super Rugby. Your crusaders have a weekend off, so you can kind of rest easy and look at all these other matches with a very objective eye. Do you see any upsets coming? And let's focus it on Hurricanes Blues that tab reckon. The Blues are favorites. They haven't won a game in their first two rounds this season. The Canes off the back of getting away with one against Fiji and drew a last weekend.
Speaker 3: What do you see playing out at sky Stadium tomorrow night. I like the way you said I can look at it out of one good eye. Know I'm a cantab, don't you. Whether you do that deliberately or not, I don't know. So what do I see from my one good eye out of this? Blues have got their backs to the wall. They have Hurricanes would expect at home to be able to roll them. But with expectations in the Hurricanes. Does that really come to bear, I'm not sure if it does. I'd say pressure on both sides with this. And if you look at what we've seen in Super rugby so far, the standout point is defense is not key. So the team that understands how to tackle and actually protect their line long term is going to be the team that's going to end up winning. And I don't know who you want to give that job to or who you think is going to have success in that space.
Speaker 2: Pinty, Well, it's interesting you say that because I think the Blues last year, you know, their success was built very much on doing the basics right, you know, dominance upfronts, getting the forward battle won, and then releasing their rock star backs. But it seems as though this season all that's tough upfront have been put to the back of the back of the priority que for most of these teams. And it's the Blues really who I wouldn't say have suffered because of that. But they're the lowest scoring team in the competition. They haven't had a win yet and I'll tell you what, mate, that wouldn't want to be oh and three after three rounds. I'm not saying they're going down the line of the twenty twenty four Crusaders. Sorry to bring that up, but I mean vern Cottle would be stern, even sterner vernee of their oh and three after three games.
Speaker 3: I tell you who's hurting right here and right now. It's Boden Barrett. Now, he had a shocker last week and it's been well pointed out by a lot of people, and I know the way he operates. He is going to have an almost peerless game this weekend. He won't do that again because that was shoddy. Is that a fair thing to say?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 2: I think it's very fair. I think that's exactly what he was. And look he you know, we know he's a quality player and may well come to sky Stadium's former home, of course and do a number on his former team. But yeah, looking forward to seeing that tonight. ONEA PACIFICA. That's an interesting team for me. They've they've scored eighty points in their first two games, but been on the losing side both times.
Speaker 3: What does this tell us? This tells us that maybe they're upset they didn't get a Marvel top like the other five franchises did in Super Rugby and maybe that will come to pass tonight and I'll turn up with rage. I don't know what to make of this team so far and how they operate. I'm sure that already behind the scenes are trying to lift them, but they'd be I might say, questioning themselves. But well, they've got a lot to prove. And what they've got against the Heightened is a team that it's a zombie team. They refuse to die. You could chop their head off and they still won't die. That game last week was phenomenal. It was frightening, So I'd say the whole of Mauana at the moment and looking at Nahua going oh no, you don't, Oh no, you don't.
Speaker 4: JB.
Speaker 2: Joseph is the king of the zombies then in that case, because his fingerprints were all over that when last weekend against the Blues quick on. The Chiefs are two from two form side to start the season. I can't see them having too many problems with the Brumbies in Hamilton tomorrow afternoon, can you.
Speaker 3: Well they've got the added bonus of Clayton McMillan, who's upsticks at the end of the season and leaving. And I think if that's going to add well, it can't not add more strength to the arm of the Chiefs. They're going to do that for him. Not they don't do it for themselves and him anyway, but knowing he's going and knowing how close they've come to titles on so many occasions and already fantastic team, this is going to give him something extra. And the Brummis are like, yeah, not on my watch, but we will see home game FMG Stadium. I'm expecting big things from the Chiefs, carrying on from what they've left off the last two matches.
Speaker 2: Don't forget you can listen to all games involving New Zealand sides, including more wide Pacific on gold Sport and via iHeartRadio. Let's jump across to the NRL, which starts this weekend. The Warriors lead us off against the Raiders at the very civilized viewing time of one o'clock Sunday afternoon in Las Vegas. I almost, I almost feel silly asking you this question.
Speaker 3: Is it our year?
Speaker 5: Don't you?
Speaker 3: Dare? No?
Speaker 2: I was just gonna ask what we should expect from the Warriors in twenty twenty five, which is a roundabout way of asking the same thing.
Speaker 3: Let's say they don't know, we don't know. Nobody knows, and that's the excitement around what the Warriors are and what they represent. I think the fan base are happy.
Speaker 4: With that now.
Speaker 3: They're like, Okay, we might not get it all, we might get nothing at all, but we know it's going to be fun. So we're climbing on in and I love that dedication from the fan base. But there are a limber of points to look here. We've got no Tallo Harris, that is absolutely immense. Seawn Johnson wasn't Sewn Johnson last year, but again a magic player, but he's out. No adding for Neua Blake, so we've lost some kingpins are going ahead, but the replacement players that are coming on and look watching twevus as sheep run out on the wing, are watching the fish go to town where he is. I'm really fascinated by Aaron Clark playing in the lock position. No interest, It'll bring fascination, it'll bring eyeballs, and we all hope they're going to win. But it's a very foreign climb. I just don't know. At least haven't got curfews though, right, not like their opposition.
Speaker 2: Well it's right, and probably rightly so on the Raiders too, given the way that they landed so spectacularly in Vegas. After this weekend, of course, two home games Friday March fourteen Friday March twenty one, Sea Eagles and Roosters, So a good chance for the Mount Smart faithful will get involved. Speaking of Mount Smart, Aukland FC of there tomorrow against Adelaide United top of the table clash. My prediction Auckland FC will when that the Phoenix play Melbourne City tonight does and I much as much as it, you know, I'm almost Retican to say this. I wonder whether the Phoenix season might just turn ever so slightly with victory tonight.
Speaker 3: I'll put it this way. Futy shirt Friday DA instead of putting my Phoenix shirt onto shows support after the devastation of last week's absolute pummeling at the hands or more should I say feet of Auckland FC, I'm wearing a breaker's singlet that says it all.
Speaker 5: I think, out of season on folly shirt, flying in the gut, looking at the stars, all of these franchises that I'm supporting.
Speaker 3: I feel so bad about this.
Speaker 2: That is us in the chamber for today.
Speaker 3: We're back in these four walls next week.
Speaker 1: A vix. We've got just the ticket. It's Sports Fix powered by News Talks IVY, and that's.
Speaker 2: Us on the Sports Fix podcast for today and for this week. We really appreciate you downloading and listening and subscribing as well, because those of you who do that will have a fresh episode dropping into your podcast feed same time.
Speaker 3: On Monday dusk. And if you really want to download, you can do it on Sports Talk between seven and eight News Talks EB that's Monday through Friday. Jason Pine's got the issue of the Grief of the Weekend Sport on Monday. I got Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and then on Saturday. Get yourself all lined geet up. I'm ready to write with Weekend Sport between twelve men day and three pm with mister Jason Pine. Tell your friends, tell your family. Let's lift this podcast. Let's get it up and running and going. We're having heaps of fun making it. Hope you're having heaps of fun listening to it.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Let's hope you're back with us next week. You're a great hype man. Dus see you next week.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks, ed B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio