Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident Builder podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from news Talks at b Meason twice God once, but maybe called Pete first. Peter wolf Camp, the Resident Builder News Talk said by.
Speaker 2: The house is a hole even when it's.
Speaker 3: Dark, even when the grass is overgrown in the yard, and even when the dog is.
Speaker 2: Too old to bar, and when you're sitting at the table trying not to starve, scissor home even.
Speaker 3: When we are benn even when you're therellone.
Speaker 2: House is a home even when there's gone, Even.
Speaker 4: When you go around funnel one, you love your more.
Speaker 2: Scream does broken pans appeing in funnel locals vestible when they're gone, leaving the neighbors, even when we'll run, even when you're there alone.
Speaker 5: Well, a very good morning and welcome along to the Resident Builder on Sunday with me Peter wolf Camp, the Resident Builder. And this is your opportunity to have a good old fashioned chin wag about projects that you might have on. And a project might involve the people involved, the contractors, subcontractors, designers, litigants, neighbors, et cetera. It might involve the the items that you need, the products that you might need to complete a task. It might even involve the items that you need in order to actually undertake the work. I the tools that you might need. It might be the rules and regulations. It may well be some of the issues and challenges that come along as an inevitable part of building and construction. So it's all there on the table today. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you've got a building question, call us now. Quick rundown of the show. This morning, Jay Sharples, our razine painting expert, will join us for the first time this year. We had his colleague Bryce on the show a little while ago, so Jay I'll be with us at around seven twenty this morning. If you've got any specific painting questions and please text them through to nine to nine two, which is SAIDBZB on your mobile phone. A little later, we're going to catch up with Mark Haldane from Sweetwater Construction and just have a look at his use of tryboard and of Jnel's jayframe as well, so we're quick chat about that. As always, is available from eight point thirty this morning, so the lines are open. The number to call eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. I'll give you a bit of a rundown of what I've been up to as well, a week of I was going to say, contrasts in the sense that I went to a seminar. It's got to be at least ten years ago. It might even be a little bit longer than that, excuse me. And the one of the ideas that was introduced, and it was more a sort of general thing around housing, and it talked about the housing spectrum in the sense that often when we talk about house and we tend to get focused on the image that we sometimes have in our head, which is, you know, house New Zealand. I'll tell her it's a single dwelling on a piece of land with some space around it, with a packet fence at the at the front, et cetera. And our housing types are more varied than that, and our housing in terms of whether it's public owned, private owned, whether it's basically cheap or expensive, you know, low cost or extremely expensive. There is this spectrum and most of our housing sits somewhere in the middle, if you know, the old Bell curve from statistics at school. But there's housing on both extremes as well, So in that sense, I've I've in a way had an opportunity to have a look at both ends of that spectrum over the course of the week. Confusing, I know, but don't worry. Stick with us. I'll explain what I mean a bit later on this morning. But right now let's rip into it. The lines are open. The number to call eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Trust that you've had a good week and what have we got this week? Of course, couple of days of work and then white Tony Day on Thursday, and then back to work Friday, Yes, back to work Friday, and then another weekend ahead. So eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. And looking forward to having your calls and your conversation this morning. We're into it straight away. Rub good morning to you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, h Pete's ready here.
Speaker 7: Rung your cup God, rung you a couple of times regarding this issue.
Speaker 6: Last time just before Christmas.
Speaker 7: Just a reminder, we bought a show home with a half of our son.
Speaker 6: About seven years ago.
Speaker 7: Now, discovered about six months ago that paint was bubbling off a wall behind.
Speaker 6: It, on the opposite side of a shower. And then I'm sweet.
Speaker 7: Rang the builder went down there because it's a long way away from Auckland where we're living. Had just had discussions with him. His basic answer was, it's maintenance. You haven't maintained the grout, the tiles, the silicon, you know, not our problem. While he was while while I was down there, I discovered in the main bathroom a toadstool growing in the carpet and the carpet was soaking wet.
Speaker 6: So he had a look at that, and you know, same issue maintenance.
Speaker 7: Anyway, after months of discussions, we got no where. Went to the main franchise holder, the head office. They didn't want to get involved because as far as they were concerned, the builder didn't agree with anything we said.
Speaker 8: So I rang you before Christmas.
Speaker 7: You advised maybe getting a building surveyor, and so we went to our insurance company, which the builder wanted us to do, but we knew that wouldn't be covered because it's slow water damage which they don't cover. So we organized for our assessor to come in and have a look and organize the building surveyor to come in and have a look.
Speaker 6: They produced two reports.
Speaker 7: Stating that the tiling and the bathrooms both bathrooms was non compliant with the code because of tiles sloped away from the showers instead of towards the showers. So in the meantime we got the property file and having been in the building industry all my life, went through it like a forensic scientist and discovered half another half a dozen other issues which were non compliant.
Speaker 6: With the with the code.
Speaker 7: And then there was another major problem where all the safites are villaboard porches and cefits and all the joints were cracking and the tape was falling out.
Speaker 6: Spoke to the.
Speaker 7: Builder again about two weeks ago, and he knew nothing about all these other issues we had, but we gave him the reports from the building assessor and from the insurance assessor, plus the building surveyor. Wow, and he was still not really agreeing with anything that was said. So after that meeting, the tyler left and we promptly took the book the book around the building and showed them all these half half a dozen other issues which he couldn't really argue with. They were pretty black and white, and he probably well sort of left the site feeling probably.
Speaker 6: Quite down, and I think he had a few sleepless nights.
Speaker 7: Anyway, we met again about a week later, which was about a week ago, and we had discussions and he finally agreed to cover all the costs of the repairs. And you know, it's taken six months of absolute you know, stress.
Speaker 6: And yeah, you know, but we finally got where we needed to be.
Speaker 5: And I can understand from your point of view, Wow, you know, it must seem like a lot of effort on your part to get to hear I'm looking at it, I suppose contrasting it to other situations, I understand, and you just go, wow, if you've and especially if you've gotten a writing and he's actually going to follow through with the promises, it's actually.
Speaker 7: I think we realizes that, you know, he's been sort of backed into a corner. One of one of the things he did say at the final meeting we had with him that because insurances could be involved, yes, his approach has to be deny, deny, deny, because he can't admit if you're looking at coverent with insurance, you are not allowed to admit that you're at fault because that's the way insurance works. Yeah, you know, and that's it's very frustrating when you. You know, you sort of got all this evidence and it's piling up against him, and he still got us back against the wall, going, you know, not my problem, not my problem, you know, yeah.
Speaker 5: Because you're right, his his insurer. And look, it's no different to you and I if we're in a car crash, for example, you know, surer would say, don't admit liability, right, take it responsibility. Look, I think I know it's it's been a bit of a tortuous approach. I'm certainly delighted that. I guess the beauty of getting you know, making it evidence based. Right, So you've done the right thing. You've gone out to a building professional, I a registered building server.
Speaker 6: It's cost us thousands of dollars.
Speaker 5: I can imagine, yep. And and will those costs be reimbursed? I suppose you'd look at that and just go, look, maybe I'm just gonna have to suck that up.
Speaker 6: And yeah, he suggested possibly.
Speaker 5: Okay, again, if it's through insurance, it probably should be. When you say just a final thing, they're gonna move on. But the so, the constructor who did the work all those years ago obviously has insurance for his work, and in that sense.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know, Okay, talking.
Speaker 5: To insurance, so it might get a concruence.
Speaker 7: Covers it or we don't know. But I been talking to master Builders because we have a master Builders warranty, yep, Ike been talking, you know.
Speaker 5: So they might come to the party as well.
Speaker 6: Where he's going.
Speaker 7: The tyler apparently has insurance, so they've been discussing.
Speaker 6: The tiler's been discussed with his insurance.
Speaker 7: Or but again I don't know whether their insurance covers it.
Speaker 5: To be honest, it will be really really interesting. Hey, I really do appreciate the update because I think, yeah, there's there's a lot of really good lessons in it. But I'm particularly delighted at the fact that I suppose by presenting evidence. You know, so often when we go into these sorts of discussions, it's like I think, or you know, I think it should be better or whatever. But in this case, when you can go here, I've had a registered building surveyor who has this qualification in order to prove their ability to make these comments. And here is the evidence. This is what's been done. This is what the code states. The two don't line up. Therefore, this work is below the code. I mean you know, unless he wants to go and argue and get a determination or something like that.
Speaker 7: He's, well, that's the other option we put to him, but he didn't be he's.
Speaker 5: He's snucking all that. Yeah, good on you look and now I guess the hopeful thing is that it happens in a timely fashion. But the great thing is that you've got an indication, an intent to get this sorted, and that that must feel really good. Rudy, thanks very much, really appreciate that, ud Take care. Yeah, made, I bet, I bet pleasure all the best. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine, two ninety two. Someone's just text through they'd like to email, of course you can. It is Pete at Newstalk SIDB dot co dot nz. So p e t E just Pete at Newstalk, SAIDB dot co dot n Z. It's coming up nineteen minutes. Is just nineteen minutes after six. If you'd like to join us, we've got Ray Wend next, but there's space for you after that. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call.
Speaker 1: Doing of the house sorting the garden last feet for a hand the resident builder with Peter wolfcab call oh eight hundred eight youth dogs envy.
Speaker 5: I guess if you're listening to the show over the last little while, probably for years, you tend to get the indication that, you know, like all tiled showers end up with issues of some description. And that's me and that's what we were talking about with Rudy. It's what we'll talk about with Raywan in a moment. I think as well, we've had any number of calls about you know, someone discovers that there's a damp patch on the carpet on the other side of the wall from the shower, or in this case mold growing in the shower, or a toadstool growing in the shower. That's pretty sure signed that there's some issues with the waterproofing. I think it's fair to say though that there's I mean, I know literally hundreds of showers that have been tiled, waterproof tiled over ten, fifteen, twenty years later, no issue, which just emphasizes the fact that you can do it properly. They don't have to fail. They shouldn't fail if you read the instructions, do what's on the instructions, and you suitably qualified and experienced trades people to undertake the work. They'll be absolutely fine, right Raywn, let us know where you're at now, this is your place in a retirement village. We've chatted a few times about this. Finally they're going to fix it.
Speaker 8: How are you going, Well, I've ripped it all a part.
Speaker 9: I'm staying with a friend. It was rotten all the way round. Part of it was rotten, mulled all the way around. It was had been leaking and apart it in two places in the shower, so it's been a part the heat to put in to dry it all out, and then they sprayed it with ganola and now the jib's back on. So it's I just wanted to give you a quick update. I was right and it was leaking them underneath the tiles and so all of being done to fix it, and the waterproofing was minimal underneath it, right, Yeah, So yes, I'm glad that I've picked it up. It took four months to get them to do something about it, but that's on the way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, fantastic, And so you'll have a fully functioning and water proof shower in what a couple of weeks time, maybe.
Speaker 9: Seen four days now, so it'll be it'll be a little while. So yeah, So that thanks for listening to me, and I just wanted to give you enough to say that it's being discovered and the need and underway.
Speaker 5: Fantastic. That's great, Really appreciate the update. Just in terms of making mistakes is a phrase that we use on site quite a lot, but I just can't repeat it on the air. But it's along the lines of it's not if you can fix it right, And the reality of actually making things is that sometimes you do make mistakes, and then at that point where you do make mistakes, it's really just all about the fixing thereof mistakes. Not inevitable, but they do happen. This is the nature of life, I guess. So once you have made a mistake, then what's really important is putting it right. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty number to call. Yes, just to that email or to the text you'd like to email. It's Pete ATNEWSTALKZB dot co dot NZ. This is an interesting one too, sh I'll come back to that one. That's all but technical at this stage. This one got my attention. It came in pretty soon after the show started what triggers a resource consent for a retaining wall adding it into a building consent. In a situation where I need to retain a three meter high slope, which is fairly extensive looking at a series of terraces, to reduce the height of each one to say six hundred high, I'm going to use these large pre made concrete blocks six hundred by six hundred by fifteen hundred, so they are about twelve hundred kilos each. Criky. So do the terraces and is there a distance between each retaining wall soils expansive but stable as per the soil report, I think in a nutshell, you're probably going to have to have definitely need specific design by your engineer as to the construction of the wall. So there might be, for example, a minimum distance between the front face of each wall to ensure that the surcharge of the retaining block is not loading up on the block below. So that might mean that you've got to be let's say, from front face to front face of each of those terraces a meter and a half back. It won't necessarily be able to be done where they stack them on top of each other, or just with a minimal gap. It's specific design. Certainly, anything above one point five meters requires specific design for any type of retaining wall three meters definitely in terms of resource consent. Typically that would only be triggered if there was bulk excavations to do, or you're going to raise a building platform, which would then raise your entire building up above the heightened relation to boundary. Heightened relation to boundary is this sort of imaginary line that exists along a boundary where all buildings have to comply with. So you take a line at the boundary, you go up a required height. It might be anywhere from two point four to two point seven, possibly a bit higher, and then you imagine a recession plane, so an angle from there, depending on which side of the boundary on it might be forty five degrees, it might be thirty degrees. And then it's expected that your building sits within that line. There's an ability to infringe that, but then to infringe might require a building resource consent, either approval from the neighbors or in some cases the planners can say, look, the effects are less than minor, often for gable ends and dormers and those sorts of things. So I wonder whether it's that part of the building that requires the resource consent because of the height or the bulk of the excavation. The building consent will cover the rest of it. I would definitely get specific engineering advice and design for a retaining wall of that height, particularly if at the top of it you've either got your building platform sitting on it, or for example, if you've got a driveway, So if there's a surcharge of a driveway, no matter how high the retaining wall is, that also then triggers the requirement for specific design and especially a building consent. I hope that makes sense. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. If you've got a question of a building nature, you should call us right now. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call a little bit later on. We've got our painting expert, Jay Sharples from Razine. He'll be with us at around seven twenty this morning. So if you've got any specific painting questions, it is nine two ninety two that you can send those questions through and will have a chat with Jay from Razine a little bit later on. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call back in a moment.
Speaker 1: Whether you're paity with ceiling, fixing with fans, or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall. Do you have Peter Wolf capit call on eighty the resident builder on youth dogs B.
Speaker 5: I was just thinking with the conversations around leaking showers and that I was involved in a situation or engage with a discussion dispute I guess around waterproofing, and in fact we're doing the opposite, proving that the leak didn't come from the shower in a particular situation this week. And look, really one of the really simple ways of doing that, and we often do it with testing of waterproofing integrity prior to tiling, is to do the waterproofing, allowed the time to cure properly so that it's actually ready to use, and then flood the basin. This is I suppose you can't really do it or can't do it easily on a level entry. But if there's a hob for example, around a tile shower enclosure and you fully waterproofed it, you can just use a balloon basically or something similar to plug the drain and then flood it. So just fill it with water and wait and if mark it on the wall or put a bit of masking tape on or something like that. And if you come back after twenty four hours and the levels drop, then hey, chances are you got a leak. Come back after twenty four hours and it has moved it all, well, then it's probably going to stay water tight and durable for many, many years to come. So there you go. There's a handy one. Always good to have a balloon in the back of the truck. I say, oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call a couple of other techs that have come through. And now I think there's a bit more to this, retaining War one. It's thirty meters from boundary. It's about six or eight meters across. I need to cut a slope into provide a crane footing or crane access. So it's temporary only for a few months again, sure, or why then if it is temporary, it would still require I think you should still get specific design on it, particularly if and if you're like me and you spend a bit of time watching funny videos online. Crane's toppling over because the ground is unstable, is not a lot of fun for anyone involved. So if you are going to sit a crane on it and you definitely want to make sure that your retaining wall is up to the job, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you've got some building questions. We can take those interesting. I had one of those weeks where a little bit of traveling chop went down to Hamilton to have a look at a show home of a three D printed house that's been completed and is available for people to have a look at, and I guess ultimately they're going to sell it as well. We'll talk a little bit more about that. But later on also went to a factory that does not modular homes transportable homes, so had to wander through that just to see the pro and the construction and the methodology and the planning that goes into those sorts of projects, which was pretty impressive as well. And then on Friday went along to a mid build open home of a what will be a passive house and a passive house plus. So it's a passive house which is all about air tightness, super well insulated, full ventilation heat recovery system involved imported joinery with triple glazing in it, massive amounts of insulation. The insulation in the ceiling was effectively R point R eight eight point zero. Bearing in mind we all freaked out when the building code changed and if you went to the schedule method you had to go to R six point six. This has gone to R eight. The beauty of these things is that it's an opportunity to go through the building before it's finished. We can all go to a house at the end and go, oh, that's really cool, But all we're looking at is the finish So the ability to go and look through and to see the construction and the detailing around trying to get air tightness using the right tapes, the way that the joinery has been installed, all of those construction details, and having the architect and its foremanths the SIPs panel people out of christ Church they supplied the panels. Darryl Sang was the architect. Builders were outstanding, very high quality work, so quite a variety in terms of what I had a chance to have a look at. This passive house too, by the way, will be sort of certified as passive house plus because of the ability to generate power from solar panels. Quite possibly it will generate more power than it will use over a year, which is pretty cool. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. If you've got a project underweight, let us know and let's talk about it. The lines are open right now. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call.
Speaker 1: Squeaky door or squeaky floor, get the right advice. It's a Beautibulfcare the resident builder on news talks AB your.
Speaker 5: News Talks AB. It's coming up nineteen minutes away from seven o'clock. Remember, in the next hour, we've got Jay Sharples, our painting expert from Razine. He's going to be available at around seven twenty this morning. Stuff. You've got any specific painting questions, please text them through and we can run through that. I mean, it feels like at this time of year it's always that perfect outdoor painting time. Staying out of the sun, of course is pretty important, but in general we know that the weather's a little bit more stable and when you can get stuck into it. Certainly, I think even this week I'll probably be able to crack into a couple of little painting and maintenance jobs around the place as well, So looking forward to that if the weather state plays ball this week. Another text that's come through from Sam, and it's a little bit technical, so it's probably a more trade orientated get ape. He says, I'm running a project in last week. I asked the bricklayer to use fifty milimeter screws for the ties. So if you've ever watched bricklayers working doing a brick veneer on timber framing or whatever substrate or framing behind it, every couple of courses, they'll run in like a little l bracket which gets fixed back to the building and gets bedded into the mortar as they're doing the bricks. And the whole idea there is that it ties the brick veneer to the structure of the building and prevents it moving over time. So those and that fixing now typically we used to nail them on with clouds years ago. Now they're fixed in with a little text screw into the framing. And so the brickie said he the project manager, Sam, who's doing the texting, said look, the brickie said that, And the supplier said that only thirty five millimeter screws were required. The council had approved thirty five, yet it stated that fifty milimeter ones were to be needed, and you kind of go, why would they change it? And then it seems like in this particular build they had a rigid air barrier on the exterior of the framing. So for many, many, many years, we used to do timber framing with building paper or building wrap around the outside, which is still used today, but in some cases we're moving to having a rigid air barrier. Might be plywood, might be five er cement sheet, might be os B board. There's a number of different varieties, and so suddenly you've got the timber framing and instead of having less than a millimeter of building paper around the outside, you might have nine, ten, possibly even twelve millimeters of a rigid air barrier sheathing on the outside of the building. I think what the council's picking up on, and this is correct, is that what you need for that screw is thirty five mili embedment into the timber framing. So if you used a thirty five mil screw through ten mili of rigid air barrier, then obviously it's only by twenty five millimeters into the timber framing, hence the need for longer screws. So it's not about the length of the screw it's about what type of rigid air barrier you might have, or simply the fact that you've got one on the outside. The concern from Sam, who's the text, is hey, look, if I had a bought built to the consented drawings, then there would possibly be all sorts of liabilities to me as the LBP, as the builder into the future. I have to say, I mean, look, it is disappointing if something is poorly drawn and then it goes through consent at council and council don't pick up on these kind of relatively straightforward building issues. That's an issue that's not great because in the end, as the LBP, as the builders on site, now what's kind of been hammered into us. Pardon the pun is the plans are your contract right. It's not our job as LBPS to challenge or debate. It's our job to build exactly what's on the plan. So if there's poor specification, poor detailing, in this case using thirty five mil screws, when because of the rigid air barrier you needed to use the longest screw. You're right, that becomes quite a challenge for the contractors on site.
Speaker 6: It's not.
Speaker 5: I don't like the situation. That's not our job to find those things, but it just isn't. And all of the things that we talk about as LBPS around contracts and plans and so on, is you build what's on the plan. But if the plan's wrong and you do know that, then yes, I guess you have a responsibility to point that out, either to the inspector or to the client, certainly to the designer who missed that as they were putting the designs together. You may have some thoughts on that. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. A couple of other texts coming through just with regard to various little projects. And someone likes the song, that's always a pleasant surprise. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty eight. As I mentioned, So, I went to Hamilton on when was it, Thursday afternoon and had a look at a three D printed house. And this is one of those things. If you google you know three D printed houses, you'll see lots of pictures from Europe and the United States of America in particularly where they're doing some of these sorts of things. A robot essentially that extrudes a mortar a high strength forty MPa concrete into and just lays it out, typically in a series of layers and builds up wall segments, so it's interior exterior of the wall is all printed in one go, sometimes on site the New Zealand ones typically they're printed in the factory. Went to the factory and had a look at that, and then went to the show home, which is just on the outskirts of Rotors CBD Rotakari in a new subdivision there and had walk through the house. Quite remarkable. If you're in the area, it's worth a drive. Just look for Iconic three D and their show home and then you'll be able to either drive by or stop in and have a look again. It's and then when I was at this mid Bild yes Or on Friday, I was asked to say a few words, and one of the things that I've started to think a bit more about is that I think often we're too binary in our approach to sort of building and solutions for either affordability or production or speed or quality, that there's going to be a multitude of solutions to all of the challenges that the building industry faces. But typically we get into this sort of binary thing where we go, well, if I've got a good idea, then therefore every other idea is a bad idea, and so we tend to clash rather than collaborate. And I just look at all of these different building topographies and methods that are out there, going actually is probably room for all of these things to exist in the same space that. Yeah, three D printing can be part of the solution. Modular off site construction is part of the solution. SIPs panels are part of the solution. Conventional timber framing, but using really high tech equipment is also part of the solution. As long as we en met with better houses and more of them, it's got to be a good thing. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call Ryan A very good morning to you.
Speaker 10: Good morning, How are you well?
Speaker 5: Thanks for Ryan? Yourself?
Speaker 10: Not too there? It's there, really start, that's good time to day.
Speaker 5: Sure, how can I help? What's up?
Speaker 10: You just want to We've spoke a couple of times or four of that nightmare renovation up and up and awkward, just said the final issue sort of come through. So managed to change builders and had our last proto compliance to come through after after six years and paid about three times as much as what we.
Speaker 6: What we needed to.
Speaker 10: So I just wanted some advice on this. So if you're probably going to laugh, because this is just the icing on the cake. So we had the council come around to do the FOSE Code compliant, the final code compliance and the weather boards were installed incorrectly out the clouding. So when we went back through, what had happened is the has become obviously they get the specs off the off the company that those those are weather boards. They come and inspected it just after the building company had started and said, actually, I don't know the specifics, but it's not the tender it's supposed to be for Stephen Mill. I think it might be the overlap. Yes, okay, and then said look you just need to change that, but it'll be fine. The build that continued didn't change it, and the whole house at ten Mill and then it was obviously it was it was standard, it was painted, everything else was done and complete and carried on and then yeah, we're sort of two and a half maybe probably three years since that because of all the other challenges and just because of for different reasons and you know, financially not being able to Yeah, sure, next step legally sometimes that as you know, that cost of it and spoke at that cost more than actually fixing it if it doesn't come up right. But we've found out that we need to completely reclad, brand new, replating on the on the house.
Speaker 5: Savers. Okay, I mean that.
Speaker 10: They said that the concept and the you know, the instructions and that was contract that, et cetera, that this was a pretty straightforward thing to go back to the builder and and the lb T and so that you haven't done those through the plans and there's the instructions. What are your what are your thoughts?
Speaker 5: Is it well, yeah, it may well be part of me is just you know, dreadfully sorry and sad to hear it and disappointed, I guess at the state of our industry that something you know, as relatively straightforward as as putting weather boards up. So, just without going into too much detail around the type of product, is it a conventional timber weather board or is it a weather board system?
Speaker 10: I'm not Toby, I'm not specialized enough to answer that it's not the weatherboard company that's the problem. I've really I know, I mentioned who they are. I've been really good at supplying what we need. I'm pretty sure it's a convention.
Speaker 11: The board.
Speaker 10: The square feet amount that was needed, and as part of purchasing off them, they coming up to make sure that it instilled.
Speaker 5: Correctly, which is pretty good of them. What I might do, Ryan, is before you go, if I get you to leave the name of the product, then I can have a look online see what the details are. I suppose. The other thing that's disappointing about the conversation or the situation rather is that like typically through the building process and through the inspection process, you'll have a rap inspection before the clouding is fixed, and then you'll have a cladding inspection. Right, So typically the builder should get counsel to come out and inspect the cladding before it gets painted right, and at that point council should have picked up on things like is there are the weather boards installed as per the specifications, and it's you know, if there was a scriber left off, or a box corner or you know, a window hadn't been installed, you'd be able to see what the cover of the weather board is quite simply right. And most weather boards will have like a groove in them that stops the capillary action right, And those grooves typically there's one at the top of the board and one at the bottom of the board on the inside face. So at the top of the board it's on the outside face on the lap. So at the bottom of the board on the inside face there's a groove, and those grooves typically should line up right. It's as simple as that. So I wonder whether what has possibly happened are they timberweather boards, yeah, okay, is that they haven't done that, and that will come down to doing the spacings. And perhaps the builder when they were laying out the spacings decided that he wanted to try and achieve a full line at the head, or he wanted a full board at the safe or something like that, and thought, well, I'll stretch out my spacings and then I can achieve that. But that's then ended up meaning that the boards are not installed as per the specifications and so the noncompliant. But I would have really expected counsel to have been able to identify that during the clouding inspection and it should have failed then, right, the fact that it fails its final inspection is really if that's the case, that's really disappointing.
Speaker 10: There is actually there is actually a note on that as well. The council did and this had just happened three times with council. They come out during the inspection. Yeah, and they advised that something was done and correctly that it needed to be redone and unbenign to us the council. There's an argument site because this builder decided that they or project managers so that they knew better. Yep, and they kept going with the view that it wouldn't be noticed later on because we spoke to some of.
Speaker 5: The builders, right crikey.
Speaker 10: Yes, so yeah, it's this isn't the first thing that I suppose, it's the one. Now we're finally after five years, got some of the it's been quite stressfully.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well look I can imagine Yeah.
Speaker 10: One hundred hundred and twenty thousand dollars I suppose renovation, which at that time was like, look, it's we need to do it. H it's in our own four hundred k. Gee, we still don't have a house that's complying. Wow, and we still have where we had a quote about eighty five thousand dollars to completely we do perfectly re planting and there's no reuse of the plaids because it was right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they'll be damaged beyond repair. Can I I'm very aware at the time? Can I suggest one of the things with the building code is that there's you know, if you supply a product, right, you also supply the details of how to install it, and then you warranty the fact that if it's installed as per the conditions or as per the warrant are the specifications, it will work right. There is also in this sort of situation the possibility that even though it's not done as per the specifications, it may still work right, as in it'll be weather tight. And so there's a performance standard as well as kind of the technical standard. So lots of things with buildings might not be compliant, but they might still work. And I'm just wondering whether if you had a discussion again, we're going back to building surveys, right, who need who are experienced this? I tell you what, just down the line we're going I'm going to run into the news. We'll come back straight after and have a look at what might be a solution for you.
Speaker 1: We're helping you get those DIY projects done right. The resident Filder with Peter Wolfcamp call oh eight d eighteen Youth talks'b.
Speaker 5: You a news talks. He'd be Pete wolf Camp, resident builder with you this morning right through till eight o'clock. Sorry, let's let's stretch it out. We used to go to eight. Now we go to nine because we've got rud climb pass from eight thirty this morning, as always talking about all things in the garden and the wonderful world of bugs as well. At about twenty past seven, so not too far away, we're going to get Jay Sharples from Razine on the line. We can take your painting questions, So if you've got any specific painting questions, text and through to nine to nine two. And just prior to the news we were talking with Ryan. This is an issue with a well a renovation done in the last couple of years, so we're not talking ancient history where it seems the contractor has in store all the weather boards. Incorrectly, I'm saying council should really have picked that up during the cladding inspection, that's why you have one, and then to find that at the end of it they won't issue I presume they won't issue a CCC because it's failed its final inspection, because the cladding was installed incorrectly. Ryan, does that feel like a proper summary on my part that somewhere along the line, obviously you had a clouding inspection during the bill, during the renovation, and then a final inspection councilor failed it, and because they failed it, they won't issue a CCC.
Speaker 10: Yes, So I actually just put a quick look through me. So the council also picked it up as well as the clouding company. Yep, it wasn't to spect because the council obviously read the specifications as well. Yes, from the clouding company.
Speaker 5: Right, So they did pick it up.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 10: That's good, and that the builder continued on their way installing it.
Speaker 5: Not to speak, which again, if I take a step back from your particular situation, just in general, one of the things that I know has changed with the inspection regime for most councils, and I'm most familiar with Auckland City Council obviously, is that if something gets picked up on an inspection, right, and you get a fail. You can't get the next inspection anymore without resolving that issue. So back in the day, you'd go, you know, you might get at fail on cladding because there was a head flashings missing, right, and because you went, well, look the flashings on the truck. It'll be here on Tuesday and today's Monday, and can I carry onlining and that? Yeah, that's fine. Now they won't do that, seemingly so, But it seems so in that sense. If they had have had that policy at the time that you were building, they wouldn't have been able to, for example, carry on to plasterboard lining or install insulation or anything like that and get any other inspections without first closing off the fail of the previous inspection. Obviously that hasn't happened. You've been able to get to the end of the job with cladding still. But then see, I just think if that's the case, and you've got a paper trail to prove it, all of the responsibility goes back to the builder to go you were told, here's the evidence. You didn't fix it. Now you've got to fix it, and that's your responsibility.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we've done it on a few pieces, and then obviously they just throw it to the lawyers, probably knowing that we've poured so much into it that to actually see this through. Yeah, yeah, you know how it works. You know they've got the insurance or sure, we have to sort of save up for it, and you know we're forty thousand into that and so far, so far there's sort of no no results. And I suppose the only we will work down the avenue with with this one.
Speaker 5: Can I just ask another quick question that I really do have to move on the have you tried building mediation rather than than lawyers.
Speaker 10: Let's say we did, and they they it might have been because if a mediator came in and seen this, the recommendation.
Speaker 5: Would be in your favor.
Speaker 10: It's quite it's quite obvious in our favor. So they basically turned that down and said, if you want to take us to court, take us to court.
Speaker 5: Jeepers.
Speaker 10: So that was the there's no there's no discussion around mediation or anything. That's our lawyers to Look. Now, they're going to they're going to throw they're going to just try and cost you, cost you, cost you out of it. I suppose this is one of two quick things. So that what you said before in terms of so there's this happened on as we went back through, this happened on nine occasions that we didn't know about. So they never let us know when there's a fail. So that's obviously on the building that's with the council. That could have got glossed over some Most of the times they sort of fixed it. Other times it didn't. But when you mentioned that, look it might be water type, that's also what the but they mentioned as well. Our worry was on that that had conflicting I suppose advice because we do believe it is water type. Ye, which is good. Is that that then sits on the on the record for when we resell the property and it puts a bit of a I suppose a highlight on their claim being installed and correctly, And that's the worry.
Speaker 5: I guess it's it's a maybe a practical solution to a really difficult problem. Because the you know, the big fixes rip all the cladding off and do it correctly. The second fix is to go, actually, you know what, it actually still works despite the fact that it's not technically installed correctly. And you know, do you accept the risk that, yes, that will sit on the property file. It's there for disclosure, and you hope that people will understand it. Again, you know, if it's a professional opinion offered by a suitably experienced person like a registered building surveyor, then that should reassure most people. I presume that the person that you're dealing with, the contractor who undertook the work, is an LBP.
Speaker 10: They are an LBP, right, you'd be wanting.
Speaker 5: To take them straight to the disciplinary board.
Speaker 10: Yes, And that's the that's the part that we were through the moment what sort of go down in order for you know, not to put the business into solignty or liquidation, and yeah, that starts something else that you know, this sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do, but remember to be a licensed building practitioner as I am. It's it's my name. I'm the licensed building practitioner, not my company.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, So be that in mind.
Speaker 5: Look, it's a dreadfully sad situation and I can only imagine the stresses it's put you and your family under. So I hope there's there's some resolution for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: The worst thing with this there was all happened during a time where both my my wife both and my wife's parents passed away over a month period. And you've told you that before, and we had to just trust that I would keep on going because we were down. Yes, of course after after them, yep, and come back to this absolute myss basically love focus on the family. And that was a f year ago now, and that's when it was all all these massive bills started coming through, but nothing on the house.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wish you all the best.
Speaker 6: Thing.
Speaker 5: You take care very much.
Speaker 10: Look into the painting. Painting as well.
Speaker 5: So yeah, okay, you take care right, all the best follow the Uh we're going to be talking painting shortly before then, Chris, greetings to you.
Speaker 12: Yeah, get a better beautiful day here in Orban.
Speaker 5: Look out the window. Yes, I can confirm that.
Speaker 12: Hey, I got a question about a pagola on a second story rental property. So the underneath the polar deck it's starting to leak and get into the garage of the under under floor. Yes, yeah, construction now that the goolar is overhead that the deck, the deck was had that bitch mole sort of ceiling, so over time that's obviously failed out to try and source the leak and get into the leak with their major job, and did to take out a corner of a room and ranch siders and all sorts of stuff. But I'm thinking about just putting the polycarbinate roofing over the pre exact thing structure of the goola, just to remove the water from actually getting onto the deck. I couldn't find anything that. I couldn't find anything in the council plans about sort of the roofing square footage associated tool the first floor building, noting that the deck is already probably covering the square footage. Yeah, any rules associated with.
Speaker 5: That, I'd have to go through and check as well. Because, of course, there have been changes to the types of structures that you can build under Sedule one of the Building Act, which means you may not necessarily require a building consent, but prior to those changes, and it might still be active today. Typically, if you add a roof to something like a pagoda or a perglar, right, that typically triggers the requirement for a building consent, And I don't know that that's changed. So while you've got this open structure, the structure is there, but it's not roofed in any way. If you were to add a roof like clear light, that would typically require a building consent. And there's a couple of things around that. One is kind of a general thing that we're concerned about building creep. Right, So you know, you've got this little balcony, then you've got the framing above it, then you put a roof on it. Then someone changes that roof a solid roof, and then they close in the side and hey, pret becomes a fourth bedroom. Right, there's that sort of thing. There's also a practical thing that your purglar, while it's got no roofing on it, doesn't have to worry about uplift and things like that. If you did put roofing on it, you then need to ensure that all of the fixings are sufficient to prevent uplift in the event of a storm. You're also capturing storm water. You've got to divert that away. You've got to control storm water, not just have it pouring onto the ground, et cetera, et cetera. So I think that chances are adding roofing to your goda or purgla is going to require building consent with regard to the issue around the waterproofing. When you say is it a bitumen type, are you're talking buttanyl roofing or butteanyl waterproofing or a butteanol. Yeah, it looks that might just have reached the end of its life. If it's firm and sound, there are coatings that can be applied that will add a protective layer over the top. But in most cases, I think if it's reached the end of its practical life, then it's a case of removing it and replacing it with either a new butteanol or replacing with a different type of waterproof membrane. And then, unfortunately, sometimes when we pull those out, we discover that the substrate is not quite the right material. You know, I've seen it with untreated twelve mil ply fixed down with clouds right, so it all starts to move and twist and or the falls not right, or the scuppers aren't right, and then of course all of that buttant ole goes up underneath your cladding or is into the sliding doors that might come out, so you've got to take the sliding doors out. It does end up or could become quite a big issue, couldn't it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Yeah, yeah, okay, well, hey, thanks very much for that guid no.
Speaker 5: Trouble at all, all the very best to you. Take care of Chris, all the best. Then we're going to get Jay up in just a moment. We've got a bunch of painting questions. Feel free to add some in. I think we'll have time eight hundred and eighty ten eighty if you want to call for some building questions a little bit later on the show, remember at eight thirty. As always we're into the garden with recline past. But if you've got any specific painting questions right now, text them through. Jay's going to be with us in just a moment. Nine to nine two for the text and a quick text that's also come in. Would you PVC double glazing be better for warmth retention than thermally broken aluminium double glazed or would the margins be too little to matter much? I'm in Wellington. Thanks very much for your text. Look, there's plenty of evidence that you can find online, you know, testing on different types of window frames. So whether it's standard aluminum joinery, do thermally broken aluminium joinery, uPVC joinery, timber joinery. That's basically the four types of varieties that we've got for our aluminium or our window frames, and then you can see how they work with if you put the same type of double glazing in each of those, what the therm, what the R value is or it's actually in verse, what the actual performance is and look typically UPBC performs better and even small margins make a difference. So yeah, it's worth having a look. There's plenty of information online to see how each of those different windows system perform in terms of warmth retention, and it will make a big difference, So check it out online or have a look at the Stark Windows website as well. They'll have some information there. It is twenty one minutes after seven. We'll take short break. Then we'll talk to Jay about all things painting. If you've got a question, text it through now nine to nine two met it God.
Speaker 1: Was but maybe called Pete first. D you Wolfcab the resident builder News Talk said, be.
Speaker 5: You're right, Oh, we're into it. We're talking painting, and I don't know. For me, summer is always about painting, and that's my memory of childhood that seemed to spend every summer painting the outside of the house. Whether he did it. We did a sort of a wall a year and he just kept on working his way around. But to me, it feels like summertime is painting time. We know that you can paint all year round, but summertime feels like painting time. Jay, good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 6: How are you morning.
Speaker 5: I'm very well, thank you. And we're into that stage where you know the weather's a bit more settled kind of or at least if it's going to be bad, we know it's coming, so you can plan and get into some outdoor painting at this time of year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. Let's say it's all about planning, yes, for exterior or interior, to sort of think about how you're going to attack it this time of year. You really don't want to be painting in direct sunlight. Yes, that means starting earlier or working in the shaded areas. Just just think about how you're going to do it and attack that day. And obviously if you're outside, remember to have put on some sunscreen of word.
Speaker 5: Yeah jeez, yes, something I might have forgotten the other day. Anyway, So if you've got a painting question, feel through, tax them through. But we've got something to get underway with anyway here we go. Number one question for Jay, we're painting our house a different color in wanting to change the color of the front door. Now it's a powder code at the aluminium door in each prime if they did want to have a go themselves yet.
Speaker 4: So we've like our best system would be our high performance system, which is for industrial codings, which would be on the Coke two to one and Eurocraal four hundred series which are both two pots yep. So ideally you'd want to be heading into the shop and just having it to staff and make sure you're comfortable with it.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: Alternately, we do have single pack options which would be buying a latch and probably quick dry over the top yep, before if the luscicrel or namacrill, depending on the gloss level you were you were after, right, but.
Speaker 5: It can be tricky and I guess you know you've got to be realistic about if you're going to do it yourself.
Speaker 4: Then it's also like powder coated aluminium smooth. Yes, so as soon as you start brushing or rolling, you're going to create a different texture and different looks, so just be aware of that before you're doing it.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely right now here we go, morning, Pete and j Could you ask Jay about staining a large pine deck. It's four years old, never been oil stained or painted. I've also got a new deck to stain. What razine product do you recommend for the lightest color penetrating oil stain so they don't want to go, you know, too yellow or too orangey? What do you what are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: So on my deck, I use the Solvent Born Woodsman, Yes, Woodman, Soborn Woodow, and it's tinted to the color natural. Prior to that, I'd been using the furnit Rasime furniture and decking oil, which is a bit more yellow. But I just find the naturals a little bit more subtle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Diane's keen to stay away from There's nothing wrong with the yellow if you like it, but if you want to stay away from it.
Speaker 4: The thing. I'd also recommend Kee sing out to multiple housards in the last week.
Speaker 10: Keep a record of what you use, yes, or if you're.
Speaker 4: Buying new timber and it's coming pre coated, just make sure you've got a record of that because it can help save issues in the long run.
Speaker 5: Now, actually Following on from that, the next text is about, hey, team, I want to stain my queeler deck back to something close to the color it initially, what's the best stain to use and is there a product that means you don't have to redo it too often? That's from Lance. I guess the issue is you need to know what is on the already if there's already a coating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's sort of if you Ideally, if you know what's already on there, you can keep using the same product, right, you can check that any new products are compatible with what's already on there. Our recommendation for Quila Dex, we've got a queler timber stake which brings back the natural color. So that's what I'd recommend. But like if you're never not sure what's on air, tri test area. We've got the test pots of the majority of bird stains, if not by a small amount, and just trying in an inconspicuous area.
Speaker 5: Okay, Now this is this is one about preparation. In this sense, they're painting over some old nineteen sixties asbestos cladding, so at least they've identified that some of it's a bit moldy. What sort of preparation, and I would jump in here straight away and go what you don't want to be doing is hitting it with sanding and scraping. So we're talking about a chemical prewash, aren't we.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But even that, I think you've got to be be careful with it. All depends on the condition of the surface. Any anything you do scrape or anything that you're not you meant to contain. So if you're washing it with a soft wash and it's bringing some of the coating off, you've got to contain that. Yes, I'm not certain around if there's any legislation about containing the water that's coming off, well, I suppose it all goes on the actual condition of the asbestos coated substrate. Obviously there's a coating on there, so any washing or preparation you're doing the coating you're not actually doing to the asbestos substrate. It's different, I suppose if it's uncoated.
Speaker 5: Yes, So if it's got let's assume that there's some paint on the air which has started to deteriorate slightly. But if what the concern I think that both of us would have is that if you were to sort of vigorously agitate the surface to clean it, and then you release those fibers. Then those fibers should they fall on the ground and it dries, then they become from it or yeah, that's right, Yeah, that is the issue. Probably worth getting some decent advice on that, but maybe the gentlest possible approach and then just paint over it. It's not a bad way to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and keep colors light. Yeah, don't go dark so absorbs more heat, small bubbles and blisters, which then becomes an issue you already knowestos and you can't you're limited to the preparation you can do.
Speaker 5: Particularly I guess where you're doing a paint coating over an existing one, that adhesion there is going you're going to have a lot more problems with really really dark colors in terms of it adhering to substruct to the old pain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but going dark and you absorb more heat, which puts more stress on the underlying coating, which or the on a subject that's potentially quite old, and you could just lose adherence and then it starts becoming more of an issue for preparation and fixing it.
Speaker 5: Sure, that's an intriguing one. Some people who have a stone cottage as an out of stone and central Otago. We like the look when the stone is wet. Is there something that we can apply to have that look all of the time.
Speaker 4: I suppose we've got different concrete clear We've got a concrete clear wet look. Yep, there's potentially concrete stain. But it'll be trying some different areas in seeing. I mean, depending on how absorbent the stone is. If it's not very poorous, I'm not sure how well the spaces were penetrating. I'm not sure how well the concrete clear wet look would look or go. Yeah, it also puts a bit of a sheene on it, and I would.
Speaker 5: Have just a word of caution around. You know, sometimes these claddings work well because they absorb a little bit of moisture and then the moisture drains out. And so if you then put a barrier that prevents the moisture being released from the stone, do you have an issue there? So it might be that you just go outside and look at your house on rainy days and don't go out there when it's sunshine. It sounds like a solution. Now, this is one about painting a deck. You said, we're getting our house ready to sell. The deck is looking a bit sad, and we're thinking, right, paint it? Is this wise? And what do we need to consider? Not from a real estate point of view, you'd say, if you arrive at a property and it looks smart and eats a pin, then that's great. But painting decks, we need to think about slip resistance, don't we.
Speaker 4: Well, it's also a lot of the issues I've been able to in this year the result of people tidying up the house to sale without taking into account what's already on the In this case, so, yeah, you paint it. It looks already good. Then people move in and start walking around on it and the paint starts coming off because it's not compatible with the stain or the preparation wasn't done properly. So again, it's really dependent on what was previously on the deck. There's been a number of decks I've seen lately that have had a wood oil on there or mineral oil, which isn't compatible of anything else. So when you start trying to put another stain or paint it, areas might said here okay, but other areas wouldn't and then when you put table and chairs on or stop walking on it, all that paint comes off. So my opinion is kind of why not leave it for the people moving in to do what they want to do with it.
Speaker 5: Clean it thoroughly and leave it clean and leave it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're not generating a headache for the new homeowner.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, unless you know what's on there and then just reapply another stain, or if it was previously painted and it's just a little bit warm, then repaint it. It all goes down to keeping a record of what you've previously used or what the previous homeowner used and stay with the same system.
Speaker 5: And in that sense, I think you and I probably both on the same page when we say have a notebook. And I only started doing this a few years ago, but you know, for each project that I do, I'll and now from my own home as well, I've got a notebook in the drawer that I write down all of my paints and other bits and pieces as well, so you know, I've got to do some repairs and maintenance. And I'm thinking, now, did I use a water borne and amal there or did I use an oil born enamel. Did I use sonics or lumber sider on my exterior? And you know sometimes it's all a bit vague, So have that notebook, write it down, keep it in the drawer, and man, it makes life easier.
Speaker 4: You've got smartphones around, make pictures of the cans, you can write notes on that. Keep an album on your phone or your laptop or your computer with those details, just so you know to use the same things again next time.
Speaker 5: Wrap, yeah, photograph the label those sorts of things. Yeah, absolutely, there you go. That's a tip mate, Thanks very much. Always good to have you back and enjoy the rest of your day.
Speaker 4: You too, All the best.
Speaker 5: Take care. That's Jay from Razine and always good advice when you go into the team at Razine color shops around the country. So any specific advice that you might need, I know we talked about, you know, if you wanted to coat over a powder coated surface. There's a bit of technical detail and that go into the team at Razine color shops around the country. They'll give you all the advice and all of the tools and the paint you need to do those jobs. It is seven thirty six here at News Talk SB. We're back into building and construction. If you've got a question of a building nature, call us now. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call?
Speaker 1: Doing other house storting the garden asked feet for a hand the resident builder with feeder wolfcab call eight hundred eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 5: News talks EDB your news talk ZB. We're back into building. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Sarah, good morning, good boarding teat, how are you very well? And you good?
Speaker 13: Thank you good. We got a bit of a tricky what I just missed the segment with Jay, but we've had a building inspectrinal property. They've flagged the roof in the gathering. We know the gathering's got to be replaced, so then step straightforward. They've suggested maybe either repaint or re roof, and that's where we're stuck. We've just had two quotes come in for the painting. Yep, we're weighing for the reroof quotes, right, twenty thousand dollars including GSP to repaint the roof, prep paint scaffolding.
Speaker 5: Ah yeah, yeah, and look.
Speaker 13: We understand the scaffholdings a big part of it. We understand it makes sense gathering done at the same time, but it's just twenty thous.
Speaker 5: So the twenty thousand includes replacing the spouting as well. No, no, okay, but if you were going to scaffold, so the scaffolding is there, essentially is edge protection, right, So contractors, as part of their responsibility in terms of health and safety, have to ensure that they've got a way of managing the risk of being on the roof. Now, to be fair, that doesn't necessarily always have to include scaffolding. So depending on the amount of time that they might have to spend on the roof, having a harness or another system is also a way of managing that risk. Right, So you know, maybe you want to get another quote. Maybe there's another contractor who uses a different approach and zone so it doesn't have to have the scaffolding and uses harnesses that sort of thing. It is a two story ah radio, yes, So.
Speaker 13: Basically it's five thousand for the scaffold, plus plus weekly hire a four hundred plus GST. So look, I understand that's a big component. We have a go with what we've had. Two quotes now they're the same, so it's telling us at the same cost.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, what.
Speaker 13: We're wondering, are we better just to re roof. It's a color steel RoAF, Yep, it's twenty seven years old. Yep, you can paint it. That's not going to stop anything if we have a problem down the track. Are we better to I don't know. It might be another ten thousand, Pay another ten thousand or fifteen and get the roof done.
Speaker 5: It just comes down to budget, right, So it does actually make a lot of sense to do the research and then you can make a fully informed decision because you're right. You could spend the twenty grand now and paint it and find that in five years time, you know, the roof reaches the end of its life and you have to replace it, in which case the twenty grands wasted in a sense, or you know, in some cases you might find that the addition, you know, treatment of any rust if there is any, and then a really good quality paint job will extend the life of it fifteen or twenty years time, in which case the twenty grand is a worthwhile investment.
Speaker 13: Money well spend exactly. And that's the dilemma, because yes, we can afford to put a new roof on. But we've probably offered too much on the property in the first place.
Speaker 5: Right to secure it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and then you look at it.
Speaker 5: You know, from a purely commercial point of view, where we go, Okay, so let's say it's going to cost me forty five thousand dollars to reroof it, and I might be here for three or four years or five years, and then I'm going to sell it. And the person who gets the benefit is the next is it going to add value to the house? Will I? Will I get that back later on? That's also part of your decision making.
Speaker 13: That's a very important point tonight. I think based on that, that's that's probably given us a clarity we need. You're right for restyle down the track. Actually better to pay a little bit more now because obviously it would cost you a lot more and as you say, five seven years time, if you're still there and then you've got to reroof then yeah, look, and.
Speaker 5: It depends on much, isn't it what your intention is for the You know, do you intend to stay in the house for the next ten or fifteen years, in which case we.
Speaker 13: Do expect to stay there for ten that's our retirement at the last step. But it just came. These things always commonly feel, don't they pet We just thought, oh great, it's only going to be a little bit of minor maintenance and we're still in the house. It'll be perfect. So we just went in thinking, right, we're going to secure it, and we probably have overpaid, but I mean we're still under conditions, so I guess we can still negotiate. But I do want the house. We haven't purchased it yet, so.
Speaker 5: Ah, okay, well that changes the dynamic that as well.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we've got till the middle of next week to make a decision. We're either go unconditional or we pull out.
Speaker 5: Have you asked for a contractor to give you a price for reroofing.
Speaker 13: I'm just waiting for that to come. Okay as well, we've got one the main companies actually through Aukland. This is actually in the South Island when the job's being done. But we're hoping to get that quote on Monday or Tuesday. It'll come in the nick of time. Yes, without looking at it, they've sort of quoted thirty thousand, maybe thirty five to re roof. Yep, but we've had hit the guy on site now, so we're just waiting. It's just, you know, it's an Edmund thing. Now he's submitted as findings. We're just waiting for that report to come through.
Speaker 5: Look, the great thing is that you've given yourself some runway to make these decisions. You're full and making a fully informed decision is the great thing. Yes, yes, let us know how you get on.
Speaker 14: I will.
Speaker 13: We still want the house, but we want to do the right thing. We've got a little bit spere. Look, I think it makes perfect sense to re roAP it.
Speaker 5: Also right now feels like it's a bit of a buyer's market. So you know, you're probably in not a bad position.
Speaker 13: To no one else around it? Don't we keep asking the agent have there been any other offers? Are there any other interest at the.
Speaker 12: Stage, it's no, Yeah, yeah, I mean we've.
Speaker 13: Gone fifty thousand over there have they? Maybe it was a bit silly, we should have gone and it asking, but we just wanted to secure it, right, must add on to so many other properties.
Speaker 5: But you know, hey, good luck, good luck. Alright, you take care of you and Mary? How are you.
Speaker 11: Sorry? Is that Mary?
Speaker 5: It is Mary Greeting?
Speaker 14: Sorry, I was.
Speaker 11: Just taking you off the speaker. I wanted to ask you about roof or soft events. Yes, nineteen sixties house haven't got any events at all. A concrete tile are roofing. I just wondered how effective are they for that's reducing heat in the summer, and what effects it would they have in the winter, right, I.
Speaker 5: Mean concrete tile roofs. The one thing we know about them is that they're pretty drafty. Right, So you know if you said to me it was an iron roof with building underlay and so on, then there might be an advantage to Increasingly we're starting to do ventilated ridge caps, right. That mean air that's underneath and that heats up underneath the iron has somewhere to vent at the top. But if you've got a concrete tile roof, regardless of age, regardless of color, will have you know, so many gaps and cracks in it that allows for airflow that adding additional vents to a concrete tile roof is probably pointless because and I mean if you ever go up there, well, what's really intriguing, particularly if it's one that's over a certain degree you don't need to have a roofing underlay is put a light up there and go outside at nighttime, turn the light on and go outside and have a look at your roof. It'll look like a constellation of stars that you will see so much light it's quite remarkable. So, yeah, there will be lots of air flow already there, which actually might be a problem for a whole lot of other things. But in terms of ventilation, there will be plenty of ventilation in that underneath that concrete roof.
Speaker 11: Oh that's great, that's nice to know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to be fair, that's good in one circumstance. It's not particularly good in other circumstances. But let's not worry about that right now.
Speaker 11: All right, okay, all.
Speaker 8: The very best.
Speaker 5: You take care. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty, the number to four. We're taking your building questions. If you've got a question, call us now eight hundred eighty ten eighty. It is eleven minutes away from it.
Speaker 1: Whether you're paty with ceiling fixings or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall. Give Peter wolf Cap call on eighty the resident builder on Youth Dogs B.
Speaker 5: This morning, we've got a chance to catch up with Mark Haldane from sweet Water Construction, based in the far North up in Kaitai. Mark is going to give us a bit of a rundown on his experience with the j and OL try board panel housing and jframe. So Mark, thanks very much for joining us. Let's get started with the triboard panel housing construction. What are the key advantages from your perspective.
Speaker 15: A couple of key advantages are the efficiency of the panel. A lot of the works done off site, so once we actually get them to site, it just makes it so much more efficient, I guess to stand it in constructor houses.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Another one is the waste. It's just yeah, way less waste on sites. That makes it less you know, environmental factor of that and yeah.
Speaker 5: Cough, okay, hey, Now in terms of tryboard, let's say over conventional framing, those advantages you talk about the speed, the lack of waste, those sorts of things. What other advantages.
Speaker 15: The strength it's super strong a so yeah, in terms of bracing elements and you know, have you got tenants or kids or something like that, they can save you a few dollars of repairs.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. And now understanding that you're also collaborating with Vincent Garten from Strand Homes and Kaitia. How's that working out?
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's fantastic to be working with you know, supply like that. They kind of and do house and land packages, so it just makes it, yeah, very easy to working with them. And yeah, built some houses up here.
Speaker 5: Awesome. Another part of what Jane Old you can do is Jframe the LVL. Now I've been using it for about at least fifteen years or so. You'll switch to Jframe. How have you found that?
Speaker 6: Yes, it's been fantastic.
Speaker 15: We've only I've just done my first house out of it, and yeah it's a good size house and it's yeah, it's very straight and strong, which is hasn't been you know, twisting and buying like like the pink stuff normally does.
Speaker 5: If other chippies are thinking about moving from conventional framing to jframe, what would be your top tip given that you've just swapped over.
Speaker 15: A nice service now going because it's a bit harder to shuldenter than the soft tank stuff, right, and actually you're locked after your now going and it's yeah, ready to go and it goes sweep.
Speaker 5: So that's brilliant. Hey, and you know twenty twenty four, twenty twenty three, to some degree, has been pretty tough for chippies. For you and the team at Sweetwater Construction, what does twenty twenty five look like?
Speaker 15: Probably the highest priorities punishing off on these pretty cool projects we've got going at the moment. Yeah, there's a few clear bit of work that was stuck into at the moment. Just yeah, just ticking those boxes and making sure we finish those projects are the best best as we can.
Speaker 5: So awesome. Hey, thanks for joining us this morning and really appreciate the insights and hope that this year works out really well for you. To check out Mark's work, have a look at Sweetwaterconstruction dot co dot nz. To learn more about Tryboard and Jaframe, go to JNL dot co dot nz your newstalk CB. It was great to catch up with Mark Sweetwater Construction. Check him out and if you want to see more about jaframe, which is an ALVL framing timber, or about tryboard, checkout JNL dot co dot m said. We'll talk to Glenn us straight after news, sport and weather top of the hour. Remember the rude clin past will join us as always from eight point thirty this morning, and also just a little bit of information just in terms of the station and so on. I've got an email this week from the bosses going, hey, there's a new system for packaging up the podcast. So this program, The Resident Builder on Sunday appears and as available as a podcast for you should be relatively quickly at the conclusion of the program. So if there's something that we were talking about, some of the technical stuff that you want to have a listen to again, or listen to it in the cars, it'll be available as a podcast easily by nine o'clock or just after nine o'clock each day were each Sunday, which is awesome. If you've got some building questions, you should call us right now. We'll get that set up and we'll talk straight after news, sport and weather. Top of the hour at eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: Squeaky door or squeaky floor get the right advice from Peter wolf Camp, the Resident Builder on News Talk SEB.
Speaker 5: Right, Oh, good morning, welcome along to the show Resident Builder on Sunday with me Pete wolf Camp right through till eight o'clock. We change gear at about eight point thirty jump into the garden with herd climb passed, so stand by for that but right now we're talking building. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call plan US. Good morning to you.
Speaker 16: How are you, my friend?
Speaker 5: I'm well and yourself not too good.
Speaker 16: I've got skin cancer on my left hand. So that's a different story. Yes, it's a new policy that's going in with the crylic nylon I mean, well and acrylic carpet. Well, it's not a policing plan. House a crilic downstairs and one upstairs. Yep, the house. The house is not built on foundation. It's built on the ground because it used to be a quarry in this house and the old place concrete, the old fashion, remember the old fiber light houses they used to build during the war, those prefab type houses housing cook ones. Basically, I'm wanting to know when they're changing from acrylic to wool because they reckon that these carpets are not the best of policy to them.
Speaker 5: Okay, now, how we've got to take a couple of steps back. As best I understand it, it's nothing about policy. Where the story has come from and where it's got some traction is I think it was it was KO and at one stage I think it was the Ministry of education as well basically excluded the possibility of installing wool carpet. Right, they just went right for our buildings, particularly KAO kind of what they went, Look, we're just not going to entertain offers to install wool carpet. We're just going to exclude it. Now. That struck me as foolish. And so the story that's been in the news this week is that there's been a policy change in terms of procurement. This is not legislation. This is kind of, I guess, an internal procurement decision made by a government body that it might be their policy, but there's no legislation around it. It doesn't impact you and I. You and I when we go out and choose what type of carpet we'd like to put in our house, can choose from anything that's available. Just by the bye, I think it was foolish their previous decision to exclude wool carpet or the possibility of having wool. Now they have an opportunity to tender to prove that their products is good as or better than and in which case that's what the market's all about. So but you and I as homeowners can do whatever we like.
Speaker 16: Maybe I should just get a carpet on a rug on top of this one. But why shouldn't I have to go out and buy a great big rug, spend all that money on putting a nice wall, but on top of stair campet when it should be it's only a small area, should be uple listed and had it because underneath it is just sitting on the concrete. There's no insulation underneath it.
Speaker 5: Are you in kind of ordering housing?
Speaker 16: I have told him, I've told them many times I've been here five years, and they said, no, you have to go out and buy new carpet for you right on top of this. But I said no.
Speaker 5: And that might be sort of a whether they have their own policy, and they've probably got a policy around at what point do we need to replace this in terms of being a good landlord, and at what point do you as the occupant have a choice around Well, I'd like to upgrade it, but then you surely you need their approval. But thankfully now in terms of new bills and possibly even in terms of schools, there is a possibility that will get wool carpet into some of those spaces, which when that's our industry that's great. Good luck with all of that. Len Us and Kent a very good morning to you.
Speaker 14: Good morning, hey, good to speak to you and to you.
Speaker 5: How can I help?
Speaker 14: Right, I've got a nineteen seventy two brick and tile flats and yeah, the hose came off the washing machine about a week ago, and yeah, so a big, big flood on the floor and where it is, it's it's up against an internal war and I've got it so nineteen seventy two, but it's got the particle board underneath.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 14: So I've been under the house looked at it, and yes, it was. It was wet for or at least three days in most places, but about a week to dry out. A good portion of it has gone weekbix, a little bit of a week bix vibe. But it's it still seems reasonably solid, which isn't so bad, except my concern is that there's an internal wall sitting on.
Speaker 5: Top of on top of the particle right, yes.
Speaker 14: In the sense it's it's not fully structural but semi structural. And I'm just wondering if there's any risk whether I should claim insurance as a repairable because it would be quite difficult to get the wood out from under that internal board.
Speaker 5: I guess that from funnily enough, it sounds a little bit like a situation that I had to look at during the course of this week. Now it was a slightly later building, but they still had particle board flaws and it ran under an en suite, which is the sort of thing that we don't do anymore. But when I first started building, that's you just use particle board through the whole house and you put your bathrooms on top of it, and you know, we've kind of learned from that. So and in this instance, there is some decay and obvious swelling of the of the particle board, indicating that there's there might be some structural issues later on. But I think that that might be because the leak was not discovered for a number of months and it stayed saturated. So I think in your situation where you have a failure, you have water, and then you identify it and you remediate it quickly by drying it out, especially if you had a dehumidifier in there, and then you keep the dehumidifier running until you find that you're not collecting much water. Right, So, even where the particle board flooring is kind of trapped by the bottom plate. Moisture will still evaporate from there through the use of the dehumidifier, and even if there's some surface swelling, which is not unexpected. You know, I don't know that one event of flood damage would cause or provide the sort of environment for structural decay. I think typically what you see where you have particle board floors that are failing is there's been a leak at the bottom of the shower through the waterproofing, and it's been like that for a couple of years. And I've certainly seen those. I've been in buildings where I've literally put my foot right through the floor right it's been that saturated for that amount of time. But I think a one off event and then you've been able to identify it and remediate it quickly. I actually don't know that I would be terribly concerned if you wanted to sort of take a real belt embraces approach, if there's access and it's thoroughly dry before you close it all in again, you could treat the area with like a timber preservative, and there is a number of those on the market that might that's a sensible precautionary approach. But I think that in your circumstance, I'd probably just ensure that it's really really dry, like leave the dehumidifire running for as long as you possibly can, monitor how much water you're collecting, and once it reduces and stays down, I'd carry on repair it and close it in again.
Speaker 14: Okay, yeah, I haven't. I haven't opened anything out as such. I do have good access under the house.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, Well, let's see. It's hard running a dehumidifier in an open space because essentially you're trying to dehumidify the world. But in an open space in an Auckland these days, it's pretty hard to do. But in an open space you've also got lots of ventilation, right, so there will be natural drying that occurs as well. And again I just want to labor the point. You know, the one off exposure to water through a flood or a leak is quite different to prolonged exposure over a period of time.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yes, okay, there's I'm just wondering if there was perhaps starting to be mold forming. I just saw a little little few spots of lights and.
Speaker 4: You can treat that.
Speaker 5: That would be sensible.
Speaker 14: And wouldn't that be an indication I mean, I guess that appears in the short term, but longer term that might be any indication that the water is sticking around. But I'm pretty sure it's all gone. I mean within a week it was to touch.
Speaker 5: I think what you might find is that, yes, the moisture will provide the environment for the mold to grow, but where as the moisture disappears, then the mold it's not an attractive place. It's not an attractive environment, and if you treat it, that should disappear as well.
Speaker 14: Yeah that makes sense. Yeah, okay, all rank you okay. And for something for something like this, is that the kind of thing if if I was concerned, if it did, if it was very crumbly, then this an insurance job. It's the kind of thing they'll look at.
Speaker 10: You know that.
Speaker 5: That's a very good point because you know, and we've had this discussion around insurance a lot. There is gradual damage which is typically excluded, and then there's an event, right, and insurance is about accidents, is my view of it. So there's been a failure, pipe burst, whatever, it's not in your control, and so you've had this event. So I guess what you're doing is sort of future proofing yourself. So I would hoard everything that you've seen photographer, note the time, explain what you did, keep that on record, because what you're saying is, let's say in two or three years time, you find that, in fact, the damage is extensive, the floor is unsound, and then you go back to the insurer and the insurer goes, oh, no, that's because it's gradual damage. You want to be able to prevent them, or you want a response to that, which is though here's the event that caused it. Now they could possibly then go, well, you should have told us at the time, we would have repaired it then. But at least you've got some information. Okay, Yeah, all right, good luck with that. All the very best to you, take care, Thank you. All right, we're going to take short break. We'll talk to Jeff after the break. We probably have time for one more call as well of a building nature before we jump into the garden. With reclaim passed at around eight point thirty this morning, back in a.
Speaker 1: Moment, were helping you get those DIY projects done right, The resident builder with peta wolfcaff call.
Speaker 5: You talk said, it's time for some summer loving. At Still Shop, find your perfect match of tools for your garden this long weekend, head into one of eighty seven stores across Auckland, or check out the summer offers online. Simply swipe right on all selected tools of your dreams and get dollars to spend on Still's range of accessories and even better news. Even Still accessories come with free accessories with the buy two get one free option on selected products, and beyond that, ten percent off all selected Still accessories not already on promotion that offer in soon. So when you buy at stil Shop and you say yes to expert advice and quality equipment fully assembled, fueled up or the batteries charged, and you're ready to go Still Shop, you just know you're in safe hands. On site product servicing online click and collect or home delivery. Still shops right across New Zealand visit one this weekend. News talk zeb your news talk so be just an interesting text that's come through. Actually two just around insurance adele text. I won't mention the name of the insurer, but it's interesting. My new insurance policy includes some cover for gradual damage, but there is a premium increase as well. Interesting one many and then another text saying many insurers consider a burst washing machine supply pipe to be a foreseeable event because they're supposed to be replaced regularly, and yet nobody does. Jeez, I might have to go home and check as well. My washing machine user guide says to replace them every twelve months. Ronicky, I'll better go and have a look at the warranty online. I've mentioned this couple of times that it was my intent to get We had a really interesting conversation. We have lots of interesting conversations, but one that sticks in my mind is around a contractor who had insurance but wanted the homeowner to pay the excess in the event that there was a claim in the future. It got very complicated, but it got me thinking around homeowners, you and I, when do we need to inform our insurer if we're doing some alterations. What are the questions you, as a homeowner or as a client for a contractor working on your house, need to ask them about the types of insurance that they should have to ensure that they're covered, but also that you're covered what's the overlap between their policy and your policy? All of these sorts of things. Anyway, I've managed to get a conversation going with some insurers and I'm hoping in the next couple of weeks that will have a claims expert on to talk about the types of insurances that you and I need as homeowners when we're engaging contractors to do work. So we'll see where that gets to ride. Oh, Jeff, a very good morning to you. Good thanks.
Speaker 8: Hey, I've just got a question for you. We've just taken kind of sort of over a rental property that we had built in twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: Yep, and that.
Speaker 5: I tell you what what we might need to do. Because I'm just losing you there. We might try on another line because I'm struggling to hear Jeff Isaiah, if you could maybe get him to call back, and we'll still have time to deal with that prior to swapping over. Now someone Carol has taxed through. Hey, I missed you talking about the three D home hope not. Yes, I did mention it briefly. So one of the things I got a chance to do. I was invited to go and have a look at a factory tour of a three D printed facility. Now I've met the team before and I've I've seen the outcome. I've never actually seen the machine sort of moving around. They didn't do a live print, but they did do a sort of a drive run, so you can see how the machine will extrude out a very strong sort of mortar cement mix. It's about forty MPa when it dries, and it drives in about two or three minutes, so you imagine it extruding essentially a bead of concrete out onto a shape, so there's no form work, it just works its way out and builds these walls in the factory. In this case, they were then transplanted or transported to a site established there. There's some insulation and then there's some reinforcing obviously, and then the roof was put over the top and that's now open as a show home. So if you're curious about these sorts of things, as I am, it's out in Rottkari, just on the outskirts of Hamilton, CBD. Iconic three D are the company that built the house, and they used the three D puting machine at EUROS which is pretty cool system. So yeah, it's there if you want to go and have a look like I did last week. It was quite nice to see both sides of the House represented. Actually, Minister Chris Pink, who we've had on this show was there at the factory tour and came along to the open home, as did I guess his colleague from the other side of the house, Williams, Member of Parliament for I think it's Papatoi or South Auckland somewhere. So that was good to see both sides of the House represent and good to see them out and about looking at what's available as well. That reminds me too that we will get Chris Pink back on the show in the next couple of weeks as well to talk about what the current government's doing in terms of all the talk about winding back H one, consenting self regulation, all of that will get an update from the Minister in the next couple of weeks. Jeff, get a there we go, can you?
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 5: So Rins will probably twenty twelve purchase how old's the.
Speaker 8: Building where it was built in twenty twelve.
Speaker 5: Built in twenty twelve, yep, And.
Speaker 8: We've we've just got back into it for the first time since it's been rented out for all of that period of time.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you've moved into it yourselves.
Speaker 13: Yes, No, we're.
Speaker 8: Actually just kind of sort of looking a little bit of.
Speaker 5: Juice and sell it on, Yes, scotcha.
Speaker 8: So basically, in kind of sort of the very it's on a concrete pad the very back corner where the window is for one of the bedrooms, I'm kind of guessing that the concrete head must have kind of sort of moved very, very slightly in the masonry. If you can imagine, it's like a z crack the masonry and it goes down for maybe three or four bricks. It doesn't go all the way to the floor. I'm wondering what I can do to repair that.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's not uncommon and old to houses, but if it's a house that was built in twenty twelve to modern building code, I wouldn't necessarily have expected to see that, you know, like there's sort of a tolerance, let's say for older buildings where maybe the regulations around depth of embedment, type of concrete, amount of reinforcing slab construction, et cetera. Is less than what it is today, but twenty twelve is relatively recent. So while I wouldn't be too alarmist, I think that minor cracking occurs, right, But if you genuinely think that there's actually some subsidence to that corner of the building, is it on a slope or something like that, or do you think it's just ground movement and subsidence in the slab settling of it.
Speaker 8: I think it's just I mean, it is on very surface, so I think it is just the the slab has just moved very, very slightly.
Speaker 5: Which again it really shouldn't you know. Like again, if you were saying, I've got this nineteen fifties or ninety and sixties house and I've got a couple of cracks in it, you go, yeah, okay, fair enough. But my sense is it's probably nothing. But I actually think that, given you're the owner, I would be inclined to go to a structural engineer and have them do a survey of it, and possibly even have some gear tech guys just do a test of the ground or whether the structural engineer would be able to identify some movement, maybe even get someone to come inside with a laser and measure. If there's any actual movement in the floor slab would be interesting to know. Again, I don't want to be too alarmist, but I'm just concerned because it's only thirteen years old.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I think it would be worth spending the money to get an engineer to have a look at it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I meanwithstanding that, but I mean, would there be a book that I could use?
Speaker 5: Look, yes, there is so if you have a look at Maine Mark. They are probably the largest firm that do this type of work where you can inject eurothane foam into the ground underneath and that will fill any of the voids and if it needs to be lifted, you can actually lift buildings with that injected system. Yeah, so there is a fix as well.
Speaker 8: Okay, no worries, I'll and that was main Mark.
Speaker 5: Yes, Main Mark. You'll find them online.
Speaker 8: Okay, thanks for that, all the very.
Speaker 5: Best, Thank you very much. Take care, Jeff. Right, we're going to change gear. We're going to jump into the garden back in a.
Speaker 1: Mow good measure twice god was but maybe called Pete first. Peter Wolfcamp, the Resident Builder News Talk said b for more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp. Listen live to news talk said Be on Sunday Mornings from Sex, or follow the podcast on Heart radio