Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident build Up podcast with Peter wolf Camp from News Talks at b.
Speaker 2: Squeaky Door or Squeaky Floor.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Peter wolf Camp the Resident Builder with Light four Solar offering affordable solar solutions News Talks.
Speaker 3: It be in the home stretch.
Speaker 4: Of the herd.
Speaker 2: It took a heart left, but we're.
Speaker 5: All, yeah, la sure cantra so love Louie b we do this right. Is so somethings they ever gonna moved it. When the bones are good restat you the bank of field. That's the shadow of the woody this you and I remain when the crack in the foundation, debbiean Man Stone well person the time talk about we stayed the hat fall in the bones.
Speaker 1: And m.
Speaker 6: We call it up.
Speaker 2: Baby, you can't even this Nobby boots drive.
Speaker 7: Way go.
Speaker 6: Way, we planny. But the wolves came and went.
Speaker 2: Were still standing on the ball.
Speaker 5: The stone man, the pain Restora came this.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't have a man.
Speaker 5: Stay in a crack in the foundation, baby, Not a way stops.
Speaker 2: A little hasn't fallen about.
Speaker 3: Well, very very good morning, and welcome along to the Resident Builder. On Sunday, you were me people wolf Camp the resident builder, And this is a show. Well, to be blunt, it's kind of a show about your place. It's about things that might be happening quietly in the background. Rust is active, decay happens, Maintenance is a constant requirement on our properties. And how do we deal with all of that. Well, we've got to be active. We've got to be in there, we've got to be searching it out, and we've got to be targeting those repairs and that maintenance. And that's what this show is all about. So if you've got a question of a building nature, the lines are open for you. It is eight hundred eighty ten eighty. You can text as well, which is nine two nine two ISBZB from mobile phone and if you'd like to send me an email, you're more than welcome. It's Pete at newstalksb dot co dot nz. So trust you've had a good week and if you've been trying to get something around the house done, then I trust that you've had a productive and successful week as well. We can talk all things building a construction, products, selection ideas, issues with legislation, regulation that controls what we can do and when we can do it, and any other sort of building and construction related issues that you'd like to raise. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Like I say, I hope you've had a really good week. I have to say, just very briefly, I had the opportunity to go down and be part of Field Days for a coup couple of days, so Thursday Friday down in Hamilton and staying out or staying in Hamilton out at Field Days both days, and I have to And I'm a slightly embarrassingly kind of a late convert to field Days in the sense that you know, I think the first time I went was probably six or seven years ago, eight years ago maybe, and I've been there fairly regularly since then. But I feel I've probably missed out on something over the last thirty or forty odd years that I could have been going to Field Days. It is a fantastic event every single year, and for me, just quickly, one of the things that I most enjoy. One it's the opportunity just to have a chat with a whole bunch of people. And the other part of it is that when you get the opportunity to talk to young people at field Days. It would be too easy to say they're kind of different than city kids. But undoubtedly I come away from field Days chatting with a classic. I'm there doing some stuff with Apex boots, and people are coming in. They're looking for new safety gear and that sort of thing. And then there'll be a bunch of young fellas and so they're standing there and their gum boots and their Swan dryers or their Stony creek and all their attire and wet weather gear and you needed that at field Days this year. And then I'll go, Okay, so what are you guys up to, and young fellow goes, oh, I work in air traffic control at Total.
Speaker 2: On the airport.
Speaker 8: Awesome.
Speaker 3: The other young chap oh, I'm studying at Lincoln University for an agricultural a finance agricultural degree. I'm like, this is awesome.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: A couple of others were either into training or into jobs. They were motivated. They were not waiting around for the world to help them out or anything. They just go get us. And I think that's the really nice thing about being at field Days is that pretty much everyone you meet is doing stuff and that's awesome. That's what we want to be doing. We want to be doing stuff around the house. So if you need a hand with that, I can help by talking and chatting and discussing. Maybe not on the end of a hammer or giving a hand with a paint brush, but let's get stuck into it. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call pretty much all calls today on the program, which I'm delighted about. I love having the guests, but the opportunity to just spend the entire morning talking about your place is great. So let's get into it. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call all things building construction. This is the resident builder on Sunday and Marty A very good morning to you all.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Pete.
Speaker 8: How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm very well. Thanks.
Speaker 10: We're just looking.
Speaker 9: We've got a property that we're looking at. It's a rural, rural property. It's a it's got to shed on it, nothing's permitted. It's got a shed on it, which I think would be you know, built under the amount of squares needed. Short no permanent, but they've got a but they've put an living accommodations a fireplace. Nothing's permitted. They've got off the side of the shed.
Speaker 11: They've got a.
Speaker 9: You could call a utility room with a kitchen, at toilet, shower set, The tanks are all there. There's two of them on the property. What's the what's the go about getting it permitted through the council?
Speaker 3: Ah, okay, Look, to be fair, it's a little bit of a tortuous pro you know, pathway. So, with the risk of repeating myself, one of the things, like back in the day, let's say you're in a situation like this where either you're looking at purchasing the property or something like that, and you've found something that is non compliant in the sense that there was never a consent for the work. But clearly that sort of work does require a consent. When you first said, look, there's a shit on the property and it's not consented, I'm like, yeah, well, okay, that's probably not an issue regardless. But because it's a habitable space and because it's got plumbing in it, it would those sorts of buildings always require a consent.
Speaker 9: I don't know whether the shed's got plumbing in it, that sheds a standalone everything, okay.
Speaker 3: But adjacent to it, is this living space.
Speaker 11: This accommodation beside.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, so they put a fire box in the shed itself yep. And a bedroom, but the kitchenette and the share and that sort of things in a separate area. And whether it's over a septic tank or a plugs into a septic tank.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay. Like the pathway would typically be to apply for a certificate of acceptance, so you won't get it. There's no such thing anymore as a retro retrospective building consent, so you could go for a CoA certificate of acceptance. The burden of proof is very similar to basically to putting in a building consent, So you've got to prove that the structure is up to it and whether you can do that in terms of you know, is it framed with the correct material, are the LINTL sizes correct? Are the foundations correct? Then you have to prove that the plumbing systems are compliant with the code, so you need to have someone assess the septic system. You need to get a consent or a certificate for the fireplace, because they that alone triggers the requirement for a building consent. It might be doable, and potentially rural areas might have a slightly different approach to these sorts of structures than urban areas, but in terms of actually getting it fully compliant, it is quite the process.
Speaker 11: Okay, yeah, cost wise too, it would be.
Speaker 3: And again, at the risk of repeating myself, I've often told this story where let's say a couple of years ago, you used to have safe and sanitary reports. Right, So let's say you discovered that part of a house that you were interested and had work that had been done that obviously didn't get a building consent, and so you rang the council. They came out, they had a walk around, they went, yep, it looks like it's not going to fall down, and it looks like it's reasonably sanitary, and they'll issue you a safe and sanitary But people started to take advantage of that by going I'm going to do the work and then I'm just going to ask for a safe and sanitary at the end or a CoA at the end. Ooh, sorry, silly me, I forgot to get one. And now councils have really tightened up on the issuing of those, and the burden, like I say, is the burden of proof is equivalent to a building consent, all right now, And I guess the other part of this is, so what happens if you don't do it? Like, what are the issues?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I certainly I have noticed that both in terms of lending and in terms of insurance, those sorts of things tend to be a real big red flag now for insurers and for lenders. And then the other part of it, A yeah, I've just heard of people not being able to get lending because a building doesn't have a CCC, for example, and you won't get a CCC for work that doesn't have a well, you won't get a CCC regardless if you get to see a certificate of acceptance. That's not like having a code compliance certificate. And then I you know, insurers might be reluctant to ensure a property because they don't know anything about how it's been put together and whether it's compliant, right yeah. And then the other part of it is when you go to sell, then you've got you're passing on the issue to another person.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so.
Speaker 9: So yeah, maybe you could maybe if you buy with the leave it, leave it uncomplied.
Speaker 7: But then.
Speaker 9: Through the time pull down and replace.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, absolutely, I mean look if like in your instance, and I certainly I can tell you what to do, But the I guess you're in a position where if it's a secondary dwelling on the property and you don't need it for your use, then potentially you could either pull it down or replace it, or you could work away on that as a project over a period of time to get it up to stand it. I suppose it's very different if the building that you were going to occupy was non compliant. Someone else's text through actually and said, you know, are you sure that you're allowed to habitable dwellings on that section?
Speaker 9: Are you sure you're what?
Speaker 3: Well, someone has just texted through and said, hey, look, the biggest problem is that only one dwelling might be allowed on that section. So you'd want to go and check planning regulation as to whether or not you're actually allowed to have multiple dwellings on one title. Even if it is right.
Speaker 9: It is one dwelling although they have put an up, they put a little sleep out further up away from the shed, and they put a septic tank in there, so that you know that can be non user. But the what I'm looking at I thought, well, the shed's properly built. It's got steel beams, you know and all that sort of thing, proper steel beams. But what they've done is just added on, added on a smaller shed off the side of that shed. I don't think they've they've done anything to the shed to incorporate the other building, so it's sort of stand alone ish. So you know, you could, yeah, you could sort of take that away and then do something properly, you know what I mean, Yeah, with the council compliance and all.
Speaker 3: That sort of crowd Yeah, that's right, but you would want to check.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, the building that we've.
Speaker 3: Been talking about, is that the one that you would live in. Is its secondary too?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 9: Yeah, the shed, what were the main The main building is the shed that they've put on it, and it's proper it's you know, it's done right. But these other buildings and the septic tank obviously aren't permitted, but they've sort of been. And they look at a little bit too that they've been put on as an after thoughts or you know, we're kind of kitchen in here, or we won't put it in part of the shed sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mmm. I mean, it just does sound like there's you know, there's lots of well this is not quite right and that's not quite right. But look, you know you've got to do your own due diligence on all of that. So good luck with that. I hope it all works out for you, Kathy. If you just be with us a moment, we'll take the break and then we'll come back and talk to Kathy in just a moment. If you'd like to join us, talk all Things building. Construction Maintenance Regulations eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call your news talk ZB and Pete Wolf camp with you this morning talking all things building. Good morning, Kathy, Oh, good morning.
Speaker 13: How are you today?
Speaker 3: Morning? Very well on yourself, good good.
Speaker 13: Hey, You've been very helpful to me over the years. And I've got another little problem that needs a teaching. I've got it was a verandah out the front of my place. It's a ninety late nineteen sixty house, and the previous zoners put a conservatory over the top, and so they built out the branda a little bit and used concrete blocks right the corner block right in the corner, you know, the outside corner head was cracked when I bought it, but now it's actually fallen out and it's actually gone.
Speaker 14: I don't know.
Speaker 13: I've picked it up and you know, just probably about a food of the block. Right, So the corner, the corner of the conservatory sort of sitting on the area, but there is blocked underneath that, the top blockers. So I'm just wondering how the best.
Speaker 3: Okay, So is the block the piece that's fallen out, is that behind it? Was it solid filled or is it the blocks are laid with mortar, but they're not full with concrete yellow Kathy, Hello, yeah, Hi, Sorry, it's not a great line, Kathy. So that the peak, can you hear me?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, So the piece that's fallen out behind it is there like a void? Is there space or is there solid concrete behind it?
Speaker 9: There's solid concrete?
Speaker 3: Okay. If you had the piece, potentially you could glue it in. Look, you could make up a render of sand and cement, maybe with a bit of a plasticize. And you can actually buy like concrete patch repair kits which have a sementitious material in them which you can use. You can mix it up and what you probably can't do is fill it all in one go, but you could mix up a little bit, apply a layer maybe a centimeter thick or something like that, let that dry off, then apply another layer and build it up over two or three applications and fill that piece in given that you've got something solid for it to adhere to. And what you're looking for with those sorts of things is that you get a product that has an adhesive included in it, which most of the repair kits do have.
Speaker 13: Okay, and so where would I get that?
Speaker 3: All of the large hardware stores will have it, and it'll typically be either a Seeker or a ce Mix brand, So C mixes ce M I X and then Seeker is s I KA. They would be the two largest supplies of those types of products. But all of the large stores will have it.
Speaker 13: Oh great, yeap, Okay, I'm I've got another question. I recently had the store of my house insulated.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you what, Kathy, we might have to get you back on another line because I couldn't hear the question. Unfortunate. I hope I've helped you out with the bricks hell they're grig okaybe agreed.
Speaker 15: A yeah, question about Falkland council permits. Right, I had a free standing fire installed seven years ago. Now I was just cleaning it up the other day, doing the chimney and the flu sort of thing, and I thought, I never sided a completion certificate for this sort of thing, so I paid for it when they did the quote, Yeah, there's two hundred and ninety five dollars with a permit there sort of thing. Should have something been sent to me by counsel or by them or yeah, that's a question.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, that's a great question. So all right, let's just work through this. So you had obviously a registered installer come and install the free standing fireplace, and in their quote to you, they said, look, we will do the compliance part of it, so we'll make an application for a consent, a building consent and it can be a limited building consent just to that right. So they would have hopefully provided some documentation to council. Council would have issued a building consent number and then they may not necessarily need to come and inspect that like you might not have had a council inspection for it. So some types of building work, what happens is and this can often be the case with let's say retrofitting insulation. Right, so counsel know what the process is, know who the companies are that are doing it, and you still have to have the formality of applying for a building consent. The building consent is granted, but they don't necessarily come and do an inspection. They're reliant on a producer statement from the installer to say that they've done it in accordance with the building code and then and the specifications of the precisely specific fireplace. Yeah, I'm just I suppose what I'm a little bit unsure about is whether or not how you get like typically the last part of that process. So you apply for a building consent, you have the inspections, you provide the documentations, you apply for a Code Compliance Certificate CCC, and then if there's nothing missing in there, they will issue you with a CCC statement. Right, So in this instance here you don't necessarily need inspection. Does that mean that they you immediately get a CCC for it? I guess the thing would be is if you could go back to the installer and see whether or not they've got any paperwork, or you could actually go directly to council, give them the address and say is there a building consent for this type of work registered? A?
Speaker 15: Right? Yeah, that's yeah, that's that's sort of wondering if I could go.
Speaker 3: There and in fact whatever even if you get a limb right, a land information memorandum on the.
Speaker 15: That's another four hundred backs on it.
Speaker 3: You can get the property file for about seventy odd bucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you're true, but.
Speaker 3: Like like if not paid for it, Oh hey, look in that case, what I in seventy years? Yeah, that's fair enough to but looks you know seven years ago, it's not that long. If the company is still in existence, right, then you go back to them and go, hey, look, I'm the owner of such and such property. You came and did this work. Can you show me that you've completed the work and that I'm now compliant? So that would be a first date. Let's say they're not still there, or they've lost the paperwork, or they had a fire d D. Then I would probably go directly to counsel and go, can you provide me with the records for any building consents that were applied for at this property? And then you can track it from there and I'm just trying to think. Let's say the worst case scenario is they go, yep, we received a building consent application, but we haven't received any documentation from the installer to say that it's compliant. What you could do is get or yeah that's right. But what you could do is then get someone who's licensed in terms of fireplace installation right to come assess it, give you a certificate that says, look, I've checked it, it's compliant. You could then submit that to council and they should hopefully just issue you with a sort of a completion certificate.
Speaker 15: Basically, yeah, yeah, I've done where you suggest that I've been in touch with the installers, they're still operational.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 15: But if yeah, they don't come through with it. I think I was just wondering what the next step was, or even even if when that was issued, the consent was completed, whether us being the owner, we get a copy or it's just just put on filet council.
Speaker 3: If you've applied for a c ccply you know what I mean. Installers, Look, it might it may well be that it's sitting on a council record, right and they haven't sent it to you because you didn't apply for it directly. So let's remember that in the legislation, the getting a CCC is required. Right, So if you've had a building, if you've had work done restricted building work done, you've had a consent, you must apply for a CCC. And the responsibility for applying for the CCC is always the homeowner.
Speaker 15: On the owner. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know that too.
Speaker 3: Or you've learned that now. Yeah. Look, hopefully you know it'll be one of those things where it might take you, you know, a little bit of effort to get it, but hopefully it should.
Speaker 2: All be there.
Speaker 11: Good luck with it.
Speaker 15: One of the things.
Speaker 11: Yeah, go for it.
Speaker 15: One other things. Just looking at buying a block of four flats down down Hamilton left and in the in the bathroom and a couple of them. It's got pony floor dodge, Yes, right, you can, you can. You can always put your foot through it. Can you cut out the dodgy bit? Or does the whole bathroom need to be cut out and replaced with ply sort of thing?
Speaker 3: Funny I was looking at it, well, not funny haha, but I was looking at exactly that on Monday, where in an area that had kind of been used as a kitchenette and so on. It was particle board flooring. It was kind of nineteen nineties and they obviously hadn't done a great job in seventy Yeah, okay, so yeah, if it's had a slow, persistent leak there, that floor will be pretty average. The challenge is often that joys are laid down, the flooring is laid down, and the timber frames sit on top, right, and so yeah, you can cut the floor out, but how do you get that piece of flooring out from underneath the bottom plate, And in some cases you can't. You just leave it in there. You cut alongside the bottom plate, nouget, and then sheet in a new piece. Look, I mean, if you're going to you know, if you're going to the extent of repairing part of it, knowing perhaps that there is some decay that's on the way, but isn't that bad and the rest of it? Wouldn't you try and do the whole floor? But then that's stripping out a whole bathroom.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's taken out the Yeah that the vanity the bath the isn't it.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, you know you've obviously got to.
Speaker 15: Just keep taking it away until you get to sound, yes, ideally, yeah, yeah, but so so yeah, once you get the sound, it's not you don't necessarily have to take the whole thing out of the bathroom. It can be replaced. Well, these days, I think you replace it with ply. It's got to be so it's nice and smooth and put your line down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: And sometimes this is what happens. You know, typically the leak is in one area, right, in this case, the one that I was looking at, it was actually not from any of the fittings inside the room. It was poor flashing detail on the joinery, right, and so water are tracked in there and and right on the corner of the joinery, you know, that's where it had like literally I could put my hand through the floor it was. It was in that sort of state. So yeah, in this instance here, because we're changing the use of the room, we've stripped out the entire floor. But you don't necessarily need to do that. You can sort of take a targeted approach. No good, all right, good luck with that, Okay, take care. Nice to see people still getting into property investment. I suppose now is god I heard a story like that, you know, lots of talk about the property market and where it's at. So a property that I'm aware of has a CV of about one point six vendor expectation being realistic, was maybe one point two offer on the table eight point fifty. Yeah, that might indicate where part of the housing market is. But good on your greg for having a crack. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the call, Margaret. We will come back to you straight after the break.
Speaker 2: Measure twice god once, but maybe call Pete first.
Speaker 1: Peter wild Gap, the resident builder with late four solar offering affordable solar solutions, used.
Speaker 3: Your news talks B. We're taking your calls on all things building, construction, renovating and maintenance, and Margaret are very good morning to you.
Speaker 16: Good morning, Peter morning. I have a garage that's part of my house and I want to extend the garage door and get a new electric door. Do I need a permit?
Speaker 3: Okay? So there's two parts of that one. You say you wanted to extend your garage door. Do you want to make the opening wider?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, So making the opening wider will trigger a requirement for a building consent. Changing the door itself won't so because because making the doorway open means that you've got to extend the lintel the beam that spans that opening, and so counsel will want to know that that work is done to the building code. Therefore you'll need a building consent for that.
Speaker 16: So that's not the same as a permit, or is it?
Speaker 11: Yees?
Speaker 3: So in the it's a change in language. So prior to about nineteen ninety we had building permits. After nineteen ninety ish we've got building consents. So yes, a building consent is the new terminology.
Speaker 16: Yes, so thank you very much for that.
Speaker 3: But yes, you will need a building consent for that. Yes, thank you, No trouble at all. Margaret, all the best, and Craig, a very good morning to you.
Speaker 11: Good morning. How's the game today?
Speaker 3: Not bad things?
Speaker 11: I thought a continuity projud I was stalking the other day about the underground lab. Oh yes, yeah, we've done a bit of a cleanout, had a whole of plywood floor on that. Basically the property. You come up like a hell to the house. It's sound like about a ten Aker site. Yeah, it's kind of ruish, not two close to neighbors, but yeah, you come up the house. You got the house there, and then you've got the pre mentioned underground place underneath it. But then the back lawns all got gardens of flower gardens you would and couldn't really tell at all. But then right at the back of the back lawn there's a big concrete wall and behind that it steps down to like a pond. There's got like probably about a probably about a one acre pond there with like ducks and stuff on it. Yeah, it's kind of a little little jutty thing. You could sit on there. Fish, but I think you didn't catch much, probably carp and eels. But anyway, we're cleaning up the the underground part. They're taking all the plot in the corner and we found there's like a little hole in the corner, so we cleared it out, and what we found is is in the corner it's got like about a meter and a half pipe to go straight down congrege pipe, and there's all the mud in the bottoms. It cleared down and it started flooding the wood. And what worked out is it goes down from there and then does the right nineteen, goes under and then pops out in the pond. Crighty, So I think the guy must have been in to dive in or whatever it may be used to. Just I don't know that's where and where.
Speaker 3: I have to say, it's got to be one of the best stories I've heard ever while I've been doing the show. It's just extraordinary.
Speaker 11: So it's fine for us too.
Speaker 3: For a bit of context without going into too much detail. This is a native yours who's purchased a property to uncover a tunnel that leads to a subterranean room. And I'm right with the sizes. A you're talking like it's six meters by twenty meters.
Speaker 11: And it's about nine meters by twenty meters nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's massive, massive, like genuinely massive. And it's not like it's nine foot by twenty foot eight. We're talking the right measurements. It's nine meters.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm looking out here at the studio that we're in, and I mean it's a big space.
Speaker 11: It's actually bigger than the footprint of the foundation footprint of the house.
Speaker 3: And then, to be fair, when we were talking about it last week, I was thinking, hey, on how in a standard residential dwelling you're never going to fit this on right, just won't fit onto a five six hundred and seven hundred square meter section, but obviously it's slightly rural. But yeah, and then a connection to a pond, it must make that space incredibly damp.
Speaker 11: It's not too bad now I've actually gone through. And what I've done is put a whole lot of about throwing the mill round PBC pipes through down the hallway front the main building with their conditioners and put a fan on drawlerway down through it. And then what we've done is actually just got the old skilly out and cut slits in the pipe every kind of moll all the way down it. Yep, so you get quite a lot of warm here coming through. So it's actually driven it quite a lot. But the question I've got is the floor, And it's just concrete. What we're looking to do and is putting down some floor, And I was running, could I probably just use the same sort of stuff you put like in marine gray carpet, you using like garret because they don't really work underlayer or anything. Just something like that, which means it should tide it up a little bit and then give it a little bit resistance to getting.
Speaker 3: Wet garage carpet's great in that location because you know, if you think about it's designed to get wet, right, you drive on it with your car and the water drops down onto it. So yeah, in that sense, yeah, that would be ideal. And the other you'd want to check with the garage carpet guys. But depending on the condition of the concrete, you may also want to apply like a vapor barrier to the concrete before you put the flooring down, just just to help keep moisture out of that space.
Speaker 11: Well, funny you should say that we're already done that with done if we've got a whole lot of this stuff. We did the floor the other day and the so called tunnel and also the walls or the everything it was also in the blocks or congrue. Basically done the whole thing. Fantast a little bit extra layer because we thought possibly later on putting lining around the walls, and we're looking at possibly just using probably marine imply just to give it a little bit more protection in case around just to get well, i'd rather look into concrete walls because you're standing here for a while and it looks like you're in a prison cell. So we started doing that. Just what I've done is we've got eighty more mariingray ply. I atually showed about twenty something of that and cut it in the strips, and this year there for Bettons to go onto the wall.
Speaker 3: And plan and then yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: That's all kind of but yeah, it's just like we're moving on sole plan in the corner and nearly fell in this whole and ago there's a hole down here, and he goes, so he started cleaning out and goes, no, that's around concrete pipe, and I go, were jaking, Go, I wonder where that goes. Maybe there's another layup, maybe there's another level blow.
Speaker 3: But that's just extraordinary.
Speaker 11: Kind of makes sense because when we moved the kidney out of the way, there was a whole lot of old diving equipment and National.
Speaker 3: Metal Government yep.
Speaker 11: So I was thinking he probably used to just maybe worried about the zombie populace or whatever. I thought, well, you have an escape plane. You can just go into the pond. But it's like, well, once you get it where you can, well, i'll keep you update.
Speaker 3: Of you please do I love the story a work in progress. Hey really appreciate it's fantastic. That's absolutely stunning. Eight one hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Robbie. Greetings to you.
Speaker 14: Yes, good morning, Pete. Hey there, just wondering if you can remember you often referred to a wood restorer. What I've got. I've got to patch up some stuff from my daughter's place. And the bottom of the little piece of form one ground the outside of the window is rotten at the bottom. Yes, of those about twenty five miles And I'm just wondering with that. I've tried a couple of hardware out that's.
Speaker 11: I don't know what I'm talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, that Builder's.
Speaker 14: Bog or something like that. Do you have a brand for this?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is so the product that I use, and I tend like I'm just thinking about something that's twenty five mil Ideally, what you should do is cut that section out and put in another piece of timber, because it's a lot of filler to put in there. But what just because it's quicker, right Ultimately, So if you've got access to a multi tool, that's where these things come in handy, you could get in there cut cut out a little bit of the timber, apply some timber preservative to the exposed grain that'll stop the decay from expanding. And then find a piece of tantalized or treated timber, just roughly cut that to size, glue that in with some exterior wood glue, and then if it's still a little bit hollow, which it will be, because it's easier just to put a piece in there, right, and then grab The one that I use is it's called Repair Care, right, Repair Care, and you can buy it from Rasine color shops. They've got it. Read the instructions. It's a little bit of a process. It has like a primer that you apply and then it extrudes and mixes together. And then the beauty of it is is that it's it's an adhesive and a filler, and so you can apply it and then you can shape it and finish it and sand it and then paint it. So Repair Care is the one that we're talking about.
Speaker 14: Yep, yep. I think I'd probably have to take the effort and take those off and get a bit of form one terenalized just place the whole thing.
Speaker 8: Jolly.
Speaker 3: It may well be easier to do, but you know, sometimes, like I've done, it where you might have a little bit of rot, let's say in the corner of a sill. You don't have to take the whole sill out because essentially go take the window out and in that instance, if you can cut out any of that rotten material, chizzle it out, apply some timber preservative to stop it that decay extending and expanding and continuing to grow in that space, dropping a piece of tantalize, and then finish the with the repair care is great, all the best, the.
Speaker 14: Likes of Buss.
Speaker 3: And there will be similar types of products possibly, but I just know that if you go to Razine you'll find it there. Yes, mate, so thank you my pleasure, all the best, Take care, Craig. We'll take a break. We'll be back with some texts before new sport and we're the top of the hour at seven, which is nine minutes away.
Speaker 2: Doing other house sporting.
Speaker 1: The garden asked Pete for a hand the resident builder with Peter Wildcam and Life for Dollar now offering a free battery upgrade.
Speaker 3: Your news talks b We're coming up to news time. Couple of texts before then, Hey Pete, A sparky I E and electrician in the formal language, installed two bathroom fans for us about a year ago. I've discovered that he did not vent them to the outside properly. He also did not leave us with the COC. Is the problem and if so, what recourse do I have?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, that's poor work, right. The whole point of putting a fan is that you extend it to the exterior and make sure that it vents either through the cladding or the roof or the safita or something like that. So that's poor work. And yes, all electricians, the best of my knowledge, should leave with their clients a COC certificate of compliance after they finished the job. That's standard practice. I guess you could go back to them in the first instance. But electricians are also registered, right, so you could go to the Electrical Safety Board Electrical Registration Board and point out that this is poor work on their part. So maybe tell them that you're going to do it, and I hope that they'll come back and do the work and make sure that it's compliant. And you could also have the work assessed by an inspector as well if you wanted to talk of the bunker, because undoubtedly we're going to be talking about this for years. Nobody really knows what it was ever designed to do. This is the great mystery that we have uncovered, right. Another text, is it possible to replace a corner shower tray which has developed a crack? Very hard to take the shower tray out without taking the doors and the wall lining off? In fact, pretty much almost impossible. And a fairly large number of texts with regard to the change in opening song for the show. Some love it, some don't. I'm inclined to persevere and we'll come back with a couple more texts. Now, quick, qu quick, very quick. I have a corner valiante for an on suite. We want to take this corner vanity out and replace it with a standard vanity with a bowl on top. Do we need to inform the council due to the change as on the plans it shows Da da da da da. No, you can change the vanity without conforming the council. There you go back hard and break.
Speaker 1: The ceiling, fixing the fence. Wondering how to fix that hole in the water, you give Peter Wolf Cabin call on oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty The resident builder with Late four Solar offering affordable solar solutions news talks.
Speaker 3: There'd be righty, Oh, good morning, welcome back to the program at Pete Wolf Camp with you the Resident Builder here on a Sunday doing a not particularly imaginatively named show called The Resident Builder on Sunday.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 3: Let's keep it simple. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you would like to talk construction, building renovations, compliance regulations, dealing with tradespeople. So just before the news we rushed through a couple of texts there, including one that said, Hey, look, I've had an electrician come to install two fans and I presume in two separate bathrooms, and all I've done seemingly is put the fan in the ceiling, hocked it up, but haven't ducted it to outside. Maybe they had some ducting that kind of ran somewhere through the ceiling, but it didn't go to outside. And look, there's two parts of that. One is, how did it take you, with the growth of respect, how did it take you a year to notice that there was no ducting on the outside, Because that's kind of quite straightforward, to be really honest. But the fact that they didn't do it knowing full well that that's the proper thing to do, would say that they're not a terribly good electrician. And then, to the best of my knowledge, all electrical work, so electrician comes, let's say, adds a PowerPoint or does some changing the light bulb, they're not going to issue you with a COC. But typically for all electrical work at the end of the work, at the end of the job, they will write down what they did and issue you with a statement. So like on a triplicate form that goes this is a COC, a certificate of compliance for the electrical work that's done. And my understanding is that all electricians must issue that for the work that they do. So the fact that this one didn't vent to the outside and didn't issue a COEOC would say that they have breached their guidelines. Reations and electricians, a little bit like gas fitters and so on, are self regulating in the sense that if you get a if you're doing an alteration or you've done a new build, the electrician will come, they will do the work. There's no council inspector that looks at the electrical work. You might get an inspector, another electrical inspector to come and check their work at the end, particularly for work that's done on distribution board. But there's no outside authority that comes and checks their work. So they are self regulating. So I suppose the requirements around the type of work that they do would be higher because they are self certifying. That's what I'm trying to say. So yeah, and in that sense, I would also be thinking seriously perhaps about registering a complaint with the Electrical Registration Board on that type of behavior and that type of work as well. Oh, eight one hundred eighty ten eighty is number to call. And somebody liked what I said about field days, and yeah, I have spent Thursday Friday of this week just past at field Days, and I mentioned then I'm a bit of a late convert to it, but I always enjoyed the time. And one of the things I most enjoy is that typically you're there with people who are doers. They are people who are doing stuff, and I love that they're making stuff, they're active and they're involved, whether that's you know, the old farmer that I was chatting to, who's kind of you know, semi retired off the farm because the back sow and the knees giving out, and you know, life's about more than just working. Through to the younguns who are looking at a career knowing that there are real challenges to this industry and to that sector of the economy, but wanting to be active and engaged. And they're motivated and they're smart and they're dedicated, and I love every bit of that. And I've got to say one of the nicest things about doing these sorts of events is that I get to chat to all sorts of people, including a a lightful woman who came up to me in the Ryobi stand and said, look, my dad listens to the show regularly and really enjoys the show, which is lovely. He tells us all about it later in the day and you can imagine what that's like at family lunch later in the day. So I said that I would definitely say hello to Brian Cleary Kerry, who is in fielding, who is probably listening right now, Thank you for listening, thank you for your kind words. Lovely to meet your daughter at field Days the other day, and Brian, I hope you well today. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. David A very good morning to you.
Speaker 18: Oh Peter, how are you this morning?
Speaker 3: I'm very well, thank you, David.
Speaker 18: Good Thanks Peter. I've got a question here at our house. We're wondering about whether we can rent the downstairs or not. I understand it well. I think you need to have fire proof the floor and or at least the setting of the downstairs, and so it's one about rules to how would you do that work?
Speaker 3: Okay? So yep, all right. So essentially, in order to create a sublet within an existing building, you have to prove that that building is isolated in terms of acoustics, but in particular in terms of fire from the rest of the dwelling. And you might find that that's not just the case of it of doing fire rating on the ceiling, it may also extend to walls. There are some other requirements as well, around things like egress and so on. You'd also need. Ultimately, short answer is you're going to need a building consent for that work, right yep. And in order to get that, you'll need to have someone draw ups and plans. You'll need to check that in fact it is permissible under planning regulations to have a separate rental unit attached. You wouldn't look to change the title. It's not like you going to crod a new title and effectively subdivide that off. It's always going to be part of one dwelling. But you want a legal sublet in the on the ground floor, let's say yep, yeah, yeah, definitely building consent. You probably in terms of the scope of the work, I would imagine you probably end up having to take down the existing ceilings replace them with fire rated ceilings. There'll be a bunch you know, like that. If there's a door that connects that unit to the rest of the house, that door will need to be birated door. Any walls that adjoin the other habitable part of the property will also need to be fire rated. In some cases, that fire rating might be able to be achieved by putting a lining on one side, but most likely the lining's got to go on both sides of the wall. So yeah, it's all doable, but don't underestimate the scope of the work that you're going to have to undertake to make it compliant. And then from what I've heard talking about this with people, you know the risk of courses. If you decide, gosh, that seems like a lot of work, I'm just going to rent it quietly and so on. If there's a problem, then you might find that your insurance is not that keen on paying out exactly.
Speaker 18: Yeah, so I guess our first first port of call would we go to counsel and find out what their rules are?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so so. And typically most councils have like a building helpline or a you know, and you might be able to say, look, my intention is to formalize having a sublet in my on my ground floor. What are the planning regulations? And then from there on and if it's permissible, And council may not want to answer that question, so you might have to go to a planner or to a surveyor and ask that question. And of then if they know the rules for the area, they might say yes, it's permissible. Then you're off to someone to draw up plans for that, submit the building consent. Then it's restricted building work. So you've got to have an LBP either do or supervise the work, undertake the work, do the final inspection, do the CCC, and the can go these your income.
Speaker 18: Right, So building planner is that an architect or is that a super.
Speaker 3: So in order to submit plans like draw plans and submit them to counsel, you have to be a design LBP. Now, by default, all architects are design lbps in the same way that architectural designers. So someone who's a member of the New Zealand Institute of Architectural Draftsmen or Architectural Designers will be one. But yes, so you have to have a now under the new legislation not so new ten to fifteen years, you've got to be a design LBP in order to submit plans. And the reason that that's kind of interesting is that back in the day, anyone could plans as long as the plans were up to standard, and it wasn't uncommon to work with people who were builders who would also do their own plans. And that's a little bit uncommon these days. So there's a few hurdles to jump over.
Speaker 18: There are Well, that's pretty helpful, thank you for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the very best. You take it over them. That's one of those things that it's like funny, I've been to a couple of places, you know, sort of pre purchased inspections and that sort of thing, and you're looking around and someone will say, oh, yeah, and we've got this little flat downstairs and you know, we get three hundred bucks a week for it, et cetera. And then you go, so is that actually compliant in terms of was it designed to be a sublet or if you just added you know, you might have a big bedroom and a rumpus room downstairs and it happened to have an on sweet and then you plug in a pop and a sink in the corner and add a little cooker and hey, presto, there's our sublet. And that's typically if that's the case, that's not compliant. So if you're looking at them, they're either compliant or they're not. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call ah interesting one. Oh here we go. So we're talking about we're talking about the electrical work that was done by someone who texts and someone's just sent through, Hey Pete, I've just had three separate electrical jobs done. All were issued as coc by email. Okay, so that's the new way of doing it as well. Used to be on triplicate form. Obviously, these days, digitally you can do it as well. The interesting thing with that comment via the text is that the person did the electrician did issue a COC and I my understand, and then someone else's text through Hey, Pete, I thought a COC was only required to be issued by an independent and when a building consent was involved, would an electrician just not issue a PS four? Electricians don't issue PS fours that I even for work that I've had done by an electrician that doesn't wasn't done with a building consent, they have still issued me COC and I think that's standard practice. I'll find out. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number. We've got a couple of spare lines for those who might be supporting Albania. You would have got very excited with the opening of the euro match that's on at the moment, when Albania shocked the world by going one nil up over Italy. But anyway, Italy are two one up at the moment, and you can see this being a big score for Italy. But they looked a little surprised when the Albanians went one nil up within the first four minutes of the game. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call.
Speaker 2: Squeaky door or Squeaky floored.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Beata Walcam the resident builder with late Solar now offering a free battery upgrade decencies a way news dogs be.
Speaker 3: Just on the electrical And who was I gos? I was talking to someone the other day. It might have been at Field Days actually who was an electrician, And I said, look, I'm happy to comment on electrical matters, but I do hasten to point out the fact that I'm obviously not a registered electrician, and that I'm trying to restrain my comments to things that I know something about. But ultimately it's a very specialist task. And if in any doubt, because of the safety issues around electricity and the horrible things that can go wrong, you should always be using a registered electrician. And this might apply to the person that's just text as well. My electrics keep turning off after a few minutes. The kettle boils, turns off, then won't restart. Sounds like an expense. Now, it depends on whether it's is it a problem with the kettle or is the kettle overloading the circuit and the circuit or the breaker on the board is tripping out, which it shouldn't. Just for a kettle either way, if you've just moved and if you own it, I would suggest, in fact, what I would suggest for anyone who's maybe moving into a new house or you've purchased a property and you don't know who's worked on the property and all the rest of it is actually get an electrician in a registered electrician, ideally an electrical inspector, which is kind of the next step up, and get them to come through and test the house because there are fantastic testing equipment that they have that can identify a fault that might in the future cause, you know, a fire or something like that. So you can have your whole house tested by an electrical inspector. And I think that would actually be money well spent, oh eight hundred eight. And for the person who's got the kettle, if that's tripping the board, then yes, I would get an electrician to come and check that as well. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. Hello they're headley, Oh goody, I don't have a question, I have information.
Speaker 19: I'm an electrical inspector. Awesome, So your man that's installed the bathroom fan. He if any instant, any electrical work that requires a running of cables or relocating things or anything like that has to have a COC issued and when it's completed in love, and it has to have an electrical safety certificate.
Speaker 3: Any stock, Yeah, yep, and no not only stock.
Speaker 19: That's a completely separate thing. And that's too big for this session. Okay, elect an electrical safety certificate. If I replace a light switch, an electrical safety certificate, ifire replace of PowerPoint and electrical safety certificate. So you must do that paperwork, and you must give it to the person who contracted you to do the work. If you don't give that paperwork, you've committed two offenses, failing to certify and failing to provide the document. So you're in trouble already. The fans not being vented to the outside. It's probably not an electrical problem, but most certainly, and it would be a breach of the building code.
Speaker 3: Well, it speaks to poor workmanship, doesn't it.
Speaker 19: Absolutely. There are also boxes on the COOC to tick, and one of those boxes is in relation to complying with manufacturers instructions right, and most manufacturers instructions for a for a fan probably say things like stick it out through this, defeat all of you know whatever the roof. You know, just vending them into the sailing space was like thirty years ago, no longer acceptable.
Speaker 3: But is there any electrical I'm just thinking about practical things that you might call an electrician in to do. Is there any work at all where an electrician would do the work but not be expected to issue a COEC, which is a certificate of compliance, isn't it?
Speaker 19: Yeah, the typical compliance actually requires you to do some physical work. The only thing that you probably would get away with not certifying would be if you just went in and did testing.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you went.
Speaker 19: But there's another document called a certificate verification, which is typically issued when you want to relive on a property after it's been turned off for more than six months. But you can get an electrician to do a certificate of verification at any time, and you can get an inspector to do one as well. And a certificate verification has several levels. There are several sort of sections of the standard that you do them under, so ranges from having has got to look at it to you know, like a visual inspection, and then there's kind of a physical inspection, and then there's a testing inspection. So there's three different layers. You can go to bed and but you issue a certificate of.
Speaker 3: Verification, right, I'm just thinking in terms of practical terms. People like a story that people might relate to. Let's say you've got the old, old fashioned incandescent down lights right circa nineteen ninety and so you decide, I'm going to upgrade those and put in new energy efficient LED replacements, so no building work required, but I'm going to take out that old incandescent fitting and replace it. You do that work. It's relatively straightforward, I guess would that work automate? You would expect a COC from the electrician for that.
Speaker 19: Work, and most likely just electrical safety.
Speaker 3: Certificate, right, okay.
Speaker 19: Which is if you look at a COC if you've ever seen the triple get one. Yep, the bottom seach and the bottom two inches or so. Yes, the electrical safety certificate part of it. So you're filling everything else, but you have to sign the bottom but the electrical safe testificate because you haven't done any you haven't run any cables. What you've done is replaced fittings. Yes, and that makes it that's low risk work. And the only work that requires inspection with the capital is high risk work which is relating to mainz and main earthing systems. So, but typically your inspectors responsibilities for a new build or stop at the main switch in the main switchboard. He's the inspector is only required to inspect the mains in the main earthing system. That's that's kind of his remit. There After that, the electrician self certifies exactly the same as the gaft fitter or the or the plumber. But if if the guy has done the work, I would ring him and offer him the opportunity to remedy.
Speaker 14: For work.
Speaker 19: That and then for your refuses, and he won't give you paperwork your avenue of complaints to the electric work as a registration board, and they'll be only too happy to come along and you know, Tip's pockets out and give my good telling off. But you must offered him the opportunity to rectify.
Speaker 3: That would be the smart hope, wouldn't it.
Speaker 19: I know, I know circumstances where where the customers come back to the electricians said they want their money back, and he said no, I'll come and fix it. And you know, it didn't go well for the customer in the head didn't go so good for the electrician either, because he knew he'd made a mistake, but he wasn't going to be you.
Speaker 7: Know, blackmail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fair enough too. No, No, I mean again, I think it's pretty clear. And most electricians, you would hope they're aware of what their you know, requirements, legal requirements are and they should comply with you know, I suppose what it is is that you're given a great deal of responsibility and of being able to self certify right, and so given that people are entrusting you with that, and that your training and professionalism would say that you're up to the standard, then it must be disappointing within the industry where you see people within the industry letting down those standards.
Speaker 19: Oh yeah, I mean I've been doing this for forty years, speak of a more than tweety and I haven't had much need to complain about people. But a few people I have complained about, you know, they learn the lesson, I hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good good. I really appreciate you phoning through all the very best you headly take care by I think so hopefully that was reasonably clear. So there's COCs, which is a certificate of compliance with relation to electrical work, and then there's an electrical Safety Certificate as well, and there in some cases they're the same thing, but they're also separate things, and one might be issued with the other or issued separately. And then the point about the requirement to have an electrical inspector. Typically, if you think about like if you're changing the distribution board at home, maybe you've got an old board. You're doing some renovations or some extensions, and as part of that work you end up taking out the old board. It might still have fuse wires in it, you know, and I've been in plenty of houses where the old board is still there. Let's say you're upgrading the board, which also means that you've got a new connection to the mains because you'll have to disconnect the mains while the board comes out. That work then typically is the inspected by an electrical inspector who is not the electrician who has done the work. So there's those checks and balances in the system as well. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty we're talking all things building construction, and you know, happy to talk about sort of other parts of the building world, let's say, in terms of electrical and plumbing and that sort of thing. But fully accepting the fact that I'm not a registered electrician, but I guess as part of the project management of a job, typically you end up being engaged with all of these other trades as well to get the job done. I W eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call. We've got a spare line for the first time this morning, So if you've got a question, call us right now. I eight hundred eighty ten.
Speaker 1: Eighty helping you get those DIY projects done.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The resident builder with Peter Wolfcap and Light four Solar offering affordable solar solutions used TALKSB a couple.
Speaker 3: Of quick texts before we talk to Chris Electricians. We are not permitted to withhold a COC because the bill has not been paid. We're obliged to issue it on completion. That's from Howard. I think, thank you very much for that, Howard. And it's true for LBPS as well. So you know I'm a carpentry LBP, right, so if I do restricted building work, the requirement is that I issue a record of works or a memorandum to describe the work and to state that it complies with the building code. And I must do that as soon as I finish the work. And I can't withhold it, let's say, because I'm worried that I won't get paid by the client. So when the work is done, you're expected to issue the either record of work, all those sorts of things, you can't withhold it. I do know one instance where a guy, it was building related work, it was LBP, he was an LBP. He needed to assue a record of work. He had a sense that the client was not going to pay the final invoice, right, so there'd been some changes, there are a few extras, And he did the work and said I'll give you the record of work when I've been paid, didn't get paid, refused to issue the record of work. The client took him to the disciplinary board, and the disciplinary board find him two thousand dollars. The irony of that is the final invoice was about two thousand dollars as well. So yeah, it might seem unfair, but the reality is, if you're an LVP or in this case electricians and so on and you're expected to issue documentation about compliance of your work. You must, regardless of whether or not you've been paid. Quick text as well, what are the rules for older houses in Auckland having insulation and double glazing? I'm a tenant and the house is cold, Okay, Well, in a nutshell, your landlord should there should have been when you signed your residential tendency agreement a healthy home certificate attached to that, and to rent out a property now you have to comply with healthy homes requirements in terms of insulation, that is that there needs to be insula in accessible ceiling and subfloor spaces.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: So if, for example, it's a skillion roof and you can't get into it, then there's no requirement to add insulation there. If it's not there already, if it's inaccessible subfloor space or a concrete slab, you can't do anything about that. Double glazing is not required. Draft proofing reasonable draft proofing is a fixed form of heating, is a requirement, so I think Sarah, for you, the first thing to do is to go back and check that when you signed your residential tendency agreement that it did have a healthy home certificate attached to it. If it didn't, I'd either be talking to the property manager or to the landlord about why that wasn't available. And then I guess you could also look whether or not that healthy home standard is in fact correct or has it simply been issued by someone who's kind of incohoots with a property manager or the landlord to issue a false statement. It's unlikely, but it's possible. Interesting to note too, just briefly, that government decided not to go ahead with proposed legislation to register property managers. So they've been quite a lot of work done by previous administration to introduce a basically a qualification regime and a registration of property managers. Because right now anyone can start up business as a property manager, and while there are guidelines, there's no requirement to actually stand by those guidelines, right but National and their wisdom have said, no, we're not going to go ahead with that. Interesting to your get your thoughts on that. Actually, oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call Chris, Hello.
Speaker 17: There, got a query. But problem Actually we've got with a retaining wall. It's found the back of the house and it's supportable section so it drops away from the house. Reasonable size, I'm not sure six or seven meters high?
Speaker 3: Sorry, just I want to be absolutely clear. The retaining wall is six or seven meters high, yes, yeah.
Speaker 17: Quite quite tall, it's yeah. And it's made out of wooden, you know, it's like wooden crimp. Yes, not concrete, surprise that. And it's got a bow in it. It's got running running through it, the storm water and sewerage, and it's also got an easy on the property coming over some perendicular to the road, down through the property and then along along the retainable ametha back end from the retaining wall, but buried there's a council.
Speaker 7: Water.
Speaker 17: There's water running through there up on the street. There's pity of water running parallel to the road, but there's an easement and running off the road and through their property. There's also water which runs down to other properties.
Speaker 3: I presume when you say water running is the storm water or is the main supply?
Speaker 17: Main supply is blue wine, blue line. The council don't want to know anything about the bulge, and so we're still sort of working through that. I suppose. My first question is about remedying whether a remedy for it is to sort of another retaining wall in front of what's already there, or is the best practice to take out the wall and replace the war.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would imagine that. The one of the questions then would be is there sufficient space, let's say, downhill from the existing wall, to build a new retaining wall that would still be on your property.
Speaker 17: I'm not exactly sure the boundary I would probably imagine not, but the land below us is council land.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you still you can't build on their land, I would have thought without either express permission from them, in which case then you would have to get an easement on their title for their land. And you can imagine that's not going to happen. So in terms of practical solutions for remediating that, because you know, given the height of it, and it's bulging, right, and it wasn't designed to bulge, So if it was straight once and it's bent now, that's not a good sign with a six meter high retaining wall. The engineering involved in that because obviously the land that it's supporting, right, so the land behind the retaining wall, is any of that supporting the house that you're in.
Speaker 17: The house is about I think it's about eight meters.
Speaker 11: Back, so it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so it's getting close. I mean typically a line of inference would be at forty five degrees from the base of the wall, right, So I at six meters high, you go back six meters, that's about forty five degrees. You know, anything on top of that in that area and that triangle would be loading up on the wall. So your house is set back slightly more than that. But again I think any engineer looking at it would say, well, actually, that retaining wall, should it fail, is likely to undermine your house, in which case the engineering of that wall would be extensive, right, And if it's on your property, my understanding is it is your responsibility. It's a fairly significant wall. Getting an engineer, most of whom are risk averse, they will design something for you that will rival the Hoover Dam in its scale, and the number of zeros at the end of that project could be quite extensive. So I can understand in this instance why perhaps counsel are saying it's not our responsibility. And given it's not on their land, it might be interesting to talk to a lot about you know, if there's an easement, right, and other people have the benefit of the passageway through your property for their services. Whether you could then go back and ask them to contribute because obviously if the retaining wall fails, it will it will damage all of those services, right, which means it has an impact on a neighbor. So if a neighbor has the benefit of an easement, then maybe they could contribute something to the cost of it. Look, I guess a planner then a geotechnical engineer is probably going to be a next steps in terms of remediation. But it's going that's that's a big wall and it's going to be a lot of work, and trust me, it'll be a lot of money.
Speaker 17: Right, Yes, okay, you know.
Speaker 3: Could could you go to your insurer and say my retaining wall has collapsed or is endangered?
Speaker 17: Yeah, we are. We are talking with them, just trying to find out and really the counselor's involvement as well, because we were there all the time that an initial neighbor said that the section wasn't planned for our house. It was originally for the counsel to have this access going through, and then later in the development the developers are presumed. I not quite. You can't quite get the right decided that for the section there as well, And so yeah, I'm trying.
Speaker 3: I wonder whether some of this, Yeah, is also going to be like an experienced property lawyer to act on your behalf, because I think if I would say that, if it seems to me that if counsel are deriving some benefit it right from the easement, they should then contribute to the cost of it, or you could use that as leverage, that would change things. Because the fact that there's an easement to provide services, so that's a benefit to someone else. I think you could use that to get a contribution from someone else. But it's I can imagine this is going to be a very involved process, and that's to try and understand who might be responsible, who could contribute, And then once you get into the actual engineering of it again, you know it's going to be a fairly significant wall that's going to go in there to replace it, and what's access like.
Speaker 17: Access from the bottom will be fine, Okay, well, so long accounts and yes, and we can come around the sign in the honds to work from the top. Yeah, but it should probably not should probably.
Speaker 3: Okay, hey, look, there's a lot to try and dig through now, but pardon the punt, but yeah, good luck.
Speaker 12: With it all.
Speaker 17: And you suggested what was a property is lawyer?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: I guess it would be really good to have someone else look at the situation from a legal point of view to give you, especially because of the easement that's involved. Right, So for someone to review your property file, to look at the terms of the easement and to explain to you what whether or not there's any other someone else might have some liability for this as well, that's what you're looking for. And then if they do, could you then draw them in in terms of contributing to the cost of the repair.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 17: I did go to the counselor to get the file or applied for our property and that seemed to be a bit difficult. So that star for the neighboring property because they've got the same right, they share the same war.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask that actually, but they don't have them.
Speaker 17: They don't have the easement issue. But I'm just trying to find a bit of history about yeah, how the wall got built because it awarded crid wall to me seems a read it.
Speaker 3: Well but again, you know, back in the day, it might be thirty forty years ago. I do remember seeing them being built, and perhaps today they wouldn't get approval, but I suspect that at that time it would have got approval. And then what would be interesting too, is if it did get approval and it had let's say a maximum a minimum life span. Let's say there was a building consent issued for that work and the expectation is that it would be it would have a lifespan of twenty years. Then you're probably outside of that. Let's say it had a lifespan of fifty years. Then you could go, well, actually might then they've issued the consent, they've said that it's going to last fifty years, they've accepted it. If it all got signed off and now it has failed within that time period, again, could you get them to have a you know, could you get them to contribute all of which is legal? Right, So I think the next step is probably going to be spend a bit of money with the lawyer. Yeah, good luck, christ all the very best. You take care and let us know how you get on. I'll give you an update on our last week's retaining will story straight after the break.
Speaker 2: Measured twice, God once, but maybe call Peid first.
Speaker 1: Peter Wolfgav the resident builder with Light four Solar now offering a free battery upgrade seas in seed the.
Speaker 2: Playing us dogs. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: I'll give you an update on the retaining will story after the news that. We'll talk to Tracy first. Hello, Tracy.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'm just curious.
Speaker 20: When tig Or was given the opportunity they got given extra.
Speaker 3: Time to do their healthy owns plants yeap.
Speaker 20: Healthy climate, Yes, with all apply to providers that they sold properties do to back in twenty sixteen, seventeen?
Speaker 3: No Ah, Oh, that's a very good question. So what you're saying is, let's say there's an old kayn or a house it's been sold to not a private individual, but a community housing network type group. Do they also get that extension? I suspect that they probably do, but that extension is rapidly running out. I think we're talking twenty twenty five, isn't it.
Speaker 20: Yeah, well there's where I'm talking. We're talking twelve houses, yep, just in complete that basically the original leaky homes they were built in eighty six, so before anyone started building with the chains hardy product. These houses built as press tapes, yep. So it's pretty sad that they're still standing, Right's shocking the abs that you're rotten, you know. And I believe they won't pull them down because the second they take the cletting off that everyone's going to see what's behind.
Speaker 3: And that's quite and maybe what they'll do is they'll just say, well, look, we're just going to keep letting them because we don't have to comply with the healthy home standard until the day that we do, at which case we'll probably evict people and pull the houses down, which is not ideal. But you know, we're also in that space where there's a tension between you know, do we set a set of standards that exclude people from housing even if it's poor housing, given that we have such a huge demand for social housing, right so, you know, would you rather sleep in a car or sleep in the house that's not compliant? Probably want to be in a house that's not compliant, even if it's it's.
Speaker 21: Still you know, long term illnesses.
Speaker 3: Not I'm not ignoring that. I'm not ignoring that, but you know, I'm just raising that as an issue. I think there are some that would that would argue that, hey, look, you know, setting up a whole series of regulations around housing at the time of a housing crisis might not have been the best way to ensure that people have at least got somewhere to live, even if it's not great. And I'm a huge supporter of good housing for people. Right, I'm just being practical as well. Appreciate the comics, Tracy. Right, We'll give you an update on the retaining wall straight afternoons Sport and weather at eight and remember we're into the garden with a red cling past from eight point thirty this morning as well.
Speaker 2: Doing other house sorting the garden.
Speaker 1: Asked Pete for ahead the resident builder with Peter Wolfcamp and Light four Solar offering affordable solar solutions.
Speaker 3: Be welcome back to the program. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call an update on a story that we talked about, or a caller last week to the program around this time. Actually, Arian who lives in Auckland, I think on the north Shore, rang and said, look, I've got a retaining wall that's on the boundary. It's on my side of the boundary and it's collapsing and it borders a council reserve, and so I've gone to council to say, hey, look the wall's collapsing, you know, can you help out and they've said no, not our responsibility. It's on your side of the boundary. And to be fair, that was listening to the story last week, that's exactly what I thought would be the likely outcome. If it's on your side of the boundary, it's your wall, you as the homeowner, are responsible for it. However, these things are never as simple as they seem, and a mate who at the stage will just remain nameless, who's very experienced in this area, contacted me, flipped me a text while we were talking and said, hey, I could go and have a look at that. I've got some experience in this field. And he did, and I got an email from Rianne saying thank you very much. He was very helpful, very knowledgeable, very experienced. And there is more to the story, as in the reason that the retaining wall is collapsing is because the land, the council land is collapsing, is falling away, is eroding, and that's undermined the retaining wall of the private property, let's say, so, I think there's going to be a little bit more to the story over the next couple of months, and a geotech engineer is going to go out and investigate it as well. So if I get an update, I will let you know. Now, just prior to the news we were talking with Tracy, she mentioned ko or or houses and whether or not. So when Healthy Homes legislation came in, which was about twenty seventeen, and houses need to be compliant from about twenty nineteen, then I guess, with a whole lot of reasons for delay, some of those deadlines were pushed out, but most private landlords by now would need to be compliant with the new healthy Homes standards. So that's around extraction, around insulation, fixed form of heating, vapor b areas, et cetera, et cetera, all of the regulations that we've become reasonably familiar with now. So but interestingly enough, the government's own housing provider, being kol kind of order, they had an extension to those deadlines so they didn't have to do the same sort of work as a private landlord would have to do. Interesting, I just thought, I'll see where we're at because my understanding was, Okay, they've got slightly longer to do the work, but it's actually not that much longer. So I'm looking at A press release from November twenty twenty two updates to the Healthy Home Standards compliance dates taking effect from the twenty sixth of November twenty twenty two. The Government has extended the time frame to comply with the Healthy Home Standards for private landslords for coming order and for community housing providers who have not yet been required to comply under the Healthy Home Standards. So all private rentals must comply with the Healthy Home Standards within one hundred and twenty days of any new or renewed tenancy, with all private rentals complying by the first of July twenty twenty five. Now, the reason that it's first of July twenty twenty five is, let's say you have an existing tenant. You haven't renewed the tenancy because they've gone from fixed term to periodical or whatever it is. So you might have a tenant who's been in the house for five years and who plans to stay for another five years. So as a private landlord, you haven't actually had to comply with the regulations because nobody's moved out. Short answer, but you will have to comply by the first of July twenty twenty five, regardless of the nature of the tenancy or the agreement. Second part of that, all houses rented by a congora formerly Housing New Zealand and registered community housing providers must comply by the first of July twenty twenty four, end of the month beginning of next month. That's going to be really interesting to see. All boarding houses must already comply with the Healthy Home standards as of the first of July twenty twenty one. And then there's some useful tools to have a look at. And all of this is from the Tenancy dot gov dot NZ website. That's that deadline first of July twenty twenty four for all KO houses. That's going to be really interesting to see how that works out in the next what fifteen days before the or less until the first of July. Certainly for private landlords if you're doing it new tenancy, new tenancy agreement's got to be in there. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. What was the other quick text that came through? Good morning, Do you need a building consent to fully replace an old tile roof with a tinroof from Craig, Yes, would be my answer. And part of that is I worked my way through during the break through what I find actually is a very useful government website, so it's tied in with it, you know, building dot gov dot enz. If you are ever unsure about what work requires a building consent and what doesn't, go to canibuild it dot gov dot enz. So can I build it all one word effectively all lower case dot gov dot nz And in fact, I'll put that a link to that up on my Facebook page this morning, so if you go to resident builder you'll find the link there. I find it. I mean, it's not one hundred percent like you may not get all of the answers, but it will give you an indication of whether or not you require a building consent for certain types of work. So I worked my way through that with that question do I need a building consent to fully replace an old tile roof? And it said yes. And the reason for it being is that if you are planning a substantial or complete replacement of any component or assembly that contributes to the building's structural behavior, or fire safety. So swapping a heavy roof to a light roof has an impact on uplift and that might then trigger a requirement for a building consent. But either way, on my Facebook page, I will put up a link to that site. This morning, Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is then number to call goes good morning to you. Wait there you go out, augur, Please tell me that you're best made? Is Maverick.
Speaker 10: He comes to a sticky geam though, all right, girls, what's up? I retains, I'll just listening to your story. Yes, on reading a oldest boys looking at buying a house over at Wanganui. We went over last week and it opened over and had a good look at it. It's a beauty or house being Bolton Lne Scene sixteen, but one of a retaining wall. On the section that we hopefully he does get there's about four foot lower than the section beside him, and that's got a concrete drive leaning into the retaining wall, and the retaining wall has falling over that much as it's sets you leaning up against the garage. Then you can see people have tried to image it further down along the side of the house by putting pillars in it. But that's full of black scens like that all the sections of black seeds.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Is that because it will be on the boundary. Is that a cost of both parties?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 3: No, Like my typical rule of thumb is that you know if it's if it's on let's say it's on your mate who's interested in the property. If it's on his side of the boundary or her side of the boundary, it'll be their response ability. So it's typically who benefits from the retaining wall. So again, if I'm on the high side and i want a level back section, I'm going to put a retaining wall in inside the boundary on my side of the boundary line and then backfill it to get a level garden. Then I'm responsible for it. Let's say the neighbor goes, actually I need to be able to excavate down in order to get my house to fit underneath the heightened relation to boundary line. So I'm going to put a retaining wall on on my side of the boundary and excavate down. Well, then they're responsible for it. But it sounds like the one that you're interested in is the retaining walls on the property that you're interested in or your friend is interested in. If it's failing, it'll be your responsibility.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, it's quite a big one because the cock drawing is actually slip and the water's going off the drive down into the black scene and it's just pushed it all over. But to do the draw properly you have to you have to remove part of this joy and then input it. But if it's on the boundary rights on too, on the boundary pigs and it's half each side, that's a different story.
Speaker 3: I don't know that that would Well, hopefully that's not the case, right because you know, retaining walls are different to fences, right, and it's not uncommon to put a fence. You know, you can go, you can agree with your neighbor. Here's the boundary, and we're going to put the post half on your side, half on my side. Retaining wolves are not like that. They shouldn't be built like that. Retaining walls should be solely on one property or the other.
Speaker 10: Okay, well, we can find it.
Speaker 3: Probably, well it might not be in the limb. And also don't assume, like if there's not an actual legal boundary marker there don't listen to anybody, because I've had this once before where someone said, oh, hey, the fence is on the boundary, and then when we've actually had the survey done founded in fact the boundary was a meter and a half, they're away. So unless there's a legal boundary peg, Yeah, don't don't take anybody's word for it.
Speaker 10: What we can do then, because because he's done the cheat the different things, and then when you probably end up owning it, which switch it. Well, it's really the best way.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, if you make wants to buy it, then they're going to and the boundary, the retaining wall is on their property. They're going to be liable for the repair. So as long as he knows that he's got you know, tens of thousands of dollars to spend.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's right, that will refleet the price, or say but i'll get morning them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, all right, buddy, all the best, take care everybody, Ghost fantastic, got to be Maverick's best mate. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number to call? Here we go. I knew that would start a bit of stuff around the tendancy stuff morning Peak. I've got two ghost homes that I personally can live in, but sadly I'm not allowed to rent out you to the Healthy home standard. Not worth fixing it. Sad but true because to be blunt, I don't find that the healthy home standard is like, it's not a terribly high bar. Right, And to be fair, I have I understand that you know, if you choose not to upgrade your property to make it Healthy Homes compliant, that's completely up to you as a landlord and as a property owner. But to be blunt, I've got very little time for landlords who complain about complying with the Healthy Home standards because it's just not that high a bar. And I speak for experience. It is eighteen and a half minutes after eight. We'll take short break, then we're going to talk to Ash, then we're going to talk to Monty, and then we're going to jump into the garden with the root climb passed from eight thirty.
Speaker 1: This morning, with a painting the ceiling, fixing the van soil, wondering how to fix that hole in the wall. You give Peter Wolf Cabin call on oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty the resident builder with light four Solar now offering a free battery upgrade.
Speaker 2: It is in season.
Speaker 3: Lying NEWSTALKSB your news talks B. I've popped up the link on my Facebook page that you search for a resident builder on Facebook, you'll find it there to that can I Build It dot gov dot NZ website which helps sort of guide you through kind of a yes no, sort of flow chart pattern to figure out whether or not you might need a building consent for certain types of building work. I found it quite useful, so have a look at that. And then I found a picture of myself at field Days. I might put that up as well. We had a great time at field Days. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number. Ash Good morning, Hello, Ash Hey, good morning, Good morning, sir.
Speaker 15: Hey.
Speaker 22: I wanted to know about subsident. Yes, we've recently discovered that one of our properties has got subsident along the fence side and it's more kind of on the neighbors side that it has got more impact on their site, but it does touch our boundary.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm just wondering is.
Speaker 22: There a way to get this fixed or is there a way because neighbors quite elderly person and they're probably not interested in doing anything.
Speaker 3: So I mean, these things do get complicated. So broadly speaking, there has been some movement of the land on your neighbour's property which has then caused slumping or subsidence on your property.
Speaker 22: That's correct, And only where I found out is when I put it back on the market. I've tried to sell it and the potential purchaser got a report in which the subsidence has shown. So we're just wondering what could be the next step.
Speaker 11: How do I affect it.
Speaker 3: Without seeing it. It's a little bit difficult to say. I mean, you know, if ground has moved, let's say, because typically you know, if there's a slope and the slope is moving, and that's considered like a slip or a landslide or something like that, then you might end up going to EQC and having them engaged. But if it's ground movement caused by let's say your neighbor's retaining wall giving way and that undermining yours, then you could take action against your neighbor potentially. I understand what you're saying that they are an elderly person and you don't necessarily want to cause upset. The next stage might be to have a geotechnical engineer assess the situation, inspect both properties, and determine what the cause of it is. And if the cause is related to a failure something that your neighbor is responsible for, then I suppose you could take the attitude well, regardless of age and circumstance, they are still responsible for that they're causing potential damage or movement to my property as a result of their lack of maintenance or poor workmanship in the first place, In which case it does, age and circumstance doesn't absolve you of your responsibilities. You could go to them, But I suspect that your next call is probably going to be to a geotechnical engineer.
Speaker 22: Sure, and just pointing that out, this section that we have is a quarterreca flat pancake section. The QUARTERCA so it's not on a s law, right.
Speaker 3: You sure the subsidence isn't caused by something like a pipe collapsing underground or something like that.
Speaker 22: I have no clue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I think I think a geotechnical investigation is going to be your next stage because and the reason that that might be valuable is also that if there's going to be any remedial work done. It's also going to require assessment by a geotechnical engineer, so you know, any money that you might spend, you'll find that it's useful as part of the repair process. Sure, okay, good, all the best us take care, Thank you, I think and Monty just very quickly, how are you?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 8: Yeah, thanks McCall beck. You very kindly gave me the name of the of a seiler for doing the joints and a deck fib like deck. I cannot all those damned? Can you what the brand?
Speaker 10: What I should go for?
Speaker 3: Chances are it would have been fixed All. So I f I X A double L and that's made by sud L h.
Speaker 11: D A L so you d A L.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pseudor is the brand, and then fix All would have been the product. And the great thing with that is it's a mixture of a silicon so filler with an adhesive as well. So once if you've got the substrate prepared well and you put that in, it will stay.
Speaker 2: There right now?
Speaker 8: Will that be able to be painted over with?
Speaker 3: You can paint fix All?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 8: For preparations where the thing makes all the difference and that's what I'm endeavoring to do and do it properly.
Speaker 3: So it's always it's always about the preparation. Yeah, you're so right, and we don't want to hear that when we're trying to clean something or we're standing something, or we're scraping something or whatever. But ultimately, you know, it's always preparation. Good preparation, good result. Poor preparation, no matter how good the product is, it ain't going to work.
Speaker 8: No, No, that's great.
Speaker 17: Oh, thank so so much.
Speaker 3: Once again, nice to take care, take care, all the best, think your news talks. It'd be let's jump into the garden. Rid klimb Past is with us. If you've got a question for Ridd, anything to do with plants, the wonderful world of entomology as well. Rudd will be with us in just a moment.
Speaker 1: Gardening with still sharp massive field days savings on still tools now.
Speaker 2: Squeaky door or squeaky floor.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Peter Wolfcare, the resident builder with Light four Solar offering affordable solar solutions.
Speaker 2: News talks, it'd be.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: That must be my turn, and more importantly, Rudd, it's your turn.
Speaker 6: Hello, good a how are you.
Speaker 3: You're good, very good and slightly you know, taking a Rosie view of the world after having spent a couple of days at field days because they're just such good people.
Speaker 6: Evan been there for a while, but I always I always enjoy I've always find I have not enough time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I know, And it's amazing. What's you know like and like I say, I've only been going the last on seven or eight years or something like that. But you know, you're wandering along and these drones that you can use for spraying or you know, the technology side of it is amazing. The equipment, of course is fascinating. And I just find that the people because they're all doers, right, everyone's if everyone's engaged, and I love being around people like that.
Speaker 6: Certainly is talk about drone spraying. You know, when we do predator free New Zealand, And for instance, we noticed that well not me or but you know the people that do it, they knows that the helicopter has missed let's say ten meters. Yeah, sure, and obviously they send a drone into to fix that. That sort of stuff is really cool start.
Speaker 3: But even some of that technology and the use of AI to identify predators and pests and traps.
Speaker 6: Yep, you know.
Speaker 3: The I guess the old way of trapping was that you had lots of people walking miles and miles through the forest and that sort of thing. And now some of them, you traps, will recognize what they've captured, they'll release ort of you know, it's just incredible.
Speaker 6: You have to remember that I was at in in Queenstown this last week where we had a kiwi WHOI so whoey about kiwi? Three days of talks about kiwi and ai. Stuff is becoming more and more. It comes more and more to the actually quite interesting. So these traps now identify who's at the front of the trap, and then they are to said, no, it's not it's not it's not a pest, it's a kiwi or it's a you know, something we like, and they hold back, they shut up. That's it. But the moment of comes make my day.
Speaker 15: That's right.
Speaker 3: Bring it on, sunshine.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hey, you're talking about that. This is just a couple of little little things. First of all, we stayed in a wonderful little place at Lakeland Christian Camp and and there was this is the other thing about this. So you go to a place like that and you're there with one hundred and something people, and then there's Rachel Paula who feed you everything that you can have. It's just unbelievable. I just want to shout out to these guys. That's wonderful. That is exactly the way it was. And the other thing that I think a lot of people that are not in the South Island will forget is that we now have very soon on the twenty first of June, that famous place, the Wanica Mountain Film Festival is starting on the twenty first For about sixty nine bucks or so, you can actually get yourself a subscription for the whole month to watch all these amazing films. If you see the trailer of the film Festival, the Film Festival in Wanica, you will watch it. I'll bet you you will. It is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I just thought i'd tell you fantastic. Right, let's get amongst the calls, fullball calls already and lislie. Let's start with you Heally, Hello, Rode.
Speaker 23: I want to know if you can help me. My passion fruit has gone feral. It's gone everywhere, and the fruit is there as well, so what can I do? When should I prune and how far should I prune it?
Speaker 6: I would first of all, let those fruit ripen if that's still happening, and then do it afterwards. Yeah, in the winter time, you can prune it back. Don't go over the top. But but but make it suit your sight, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 23: Yes, it's okay, thank you, no problem have you?
Speaker 6: Is it still ripening?
Speaker 23: You think, well, I'm not sure that it's just producing more fruit.
Speaker 6: Where you were from where you're ringing, you don't have any frost. So take it while it goes, keep going. But you can then take off at the moment if you want to start early, take off those particular vines that haven't got fruit on if you like. You can prune those back already.
Speaker 23: And probably pinch back the ends with that help.
Speaker 6: Not necessarily, but you could try it. You might find it starts to spread out a bit more. You know, it starts to put new new branches off just beyond the way you pruned it.
Speaker 23: That's six feet high and about about twelve feet wide and lush all over.
Speaker 6: And that's why I want you to prune it for your own. If you like your own size and height that you can reach comfortably.
Speaker 3: I say, right, I'll do that, Okay, all very busy to take care, Leslie and Andrew A very good morning to you.
Speaker 24: Morning morning, Rude. Oh on a dairy farm, and we've got a lot of native planting that we're interested in going. We've already started. But what I was wanting to know is a couple of things. How easy is it to grow notice from cuttings?
Speaker 6: Quite easy, some of them quite easy, I'll give you. Oh, there so many things, peosporums, quite easy, lots of different things, whatever you want to do. Are you thinking of hedges or just basically trees that are going to be becoming trees or shrubs.
Speaker 24: Everything. We've got probably three kilometers just of road frontage on a boundary, and then a couple of weird areas, some internal planting as well. It's various stages. But I'm just wondering, is there any particular site or book or anything that you can point me to that might help me out and understanding this a bit bitter?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I think there is quite I am not sure I've got it. For instance, a Yates garden guard here, which I usually take with me to the studio. But I know that I've at home, I've got quite a few books on and taking cuttings and all that sort of stuff, but also how you can take cuttings by, for instance, layering we call that layering, such as certain branches underground by literally digging them into the ground, put a brick on them, and basically those little twigs will also form roots. You can then cut it off after a year if they're all okay, and you use that as a new plant. And to be quite honest, if you're talking about three and a half kilometers of frontage, you might want to save yourself some dish by doing it yourself. And for that reason, I suggest get something like a shade house that is usually very useful for seeds but also for cuttings.
Speaker 3: Okay, Can I jump in as well and just say the other thing, Andrew is have a look around your community, right and undoubtedly you'll find some ecological restoration groups that have sprung up because you know this bitter than I do. They're everywhere now, which is so awesome. And get the advice and connect with them. And again, I'm thinking about restoring takodonghaki that work me where I am you know this community group that's now developed a nursery and is propagating maybe as many as forty thousand seedlings a year. So you know, if you connect with a local group and then get some advice and some guidance from them, or perhaps work collaboratively with them, you know, you don't have to reinvent the wheel, do you.
Speaker 24: No, sorry, one to look on a thing quickly. So the pest protectors that you put on to protect plants when they're young, how long would you leave them on for? Because we do have pakekiko and other birds on farm that can be but a little frustrating if you take them off or don't even put the protectors on initially. So I was just wondering how long you'd.
Speaker 11: Leave them on.
Speaker 6: Well, the problem is that I haven't. I haven't got a good because we don't, thank god, haven't got many pook kickers where I have been and where i'm so I'm not that good at this. But protectors are always good for the first year or two sometimes because it also stops weeds overgrowing your new plants. That's quite an important thing. But you know what if I have if I were really cheeky, I would say, especially if you're near Christchurch, go to Burnside Primary and ask the years, the kids who are eight, nine, ten years because they actually build gardens to reintroduce a rather amazing butterfly back into the city of Grossiers. And they now to take cuttings, no how to do the seeds. They know it all.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. You know, connect with your local ecological groups and you know just so much information and so much goodwill as well. Great one, Andrew, Thanks, appreciate it and love the w that you're about to do. I think that's super exciting. We should take a break and then we'll talk to Bruce and then we'll be back in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Helping you get those DIY projects done right.
Speaker 1: The resident builder with Peter Wolfcare and four Solar now offering a free vttery upgrade season season playing News Talks.
Speaker 3: Your News Talks. It been Bruce. Good morning to you, sir, is good morning.
Speaker 4: I've got a problem with strawberries.
Speaker 6: What's the problem.
Speaker 4: Wonderful plants, great rubbers, but no throat. All I produce is some rubbers after runner after runner.
Speaker 6: Which is good because there was a real scarcity of plants last year.
Speaker 4: Remember that's right. And I've now got probably fifty plants.
Speaker 6: That's fine, that's okay, But here we go from here on. What do you use as fertilized bruise, Well.
Speaker 4: The normal strawberry fertilizer, and of I've got a few extra plants on the glasshouse and I've got so potters on them.
Speaker 6: Yes you don't, you don't. That's quite often the way to go. But you have to remember that this time of the year. Of course, there's not much flowering going on in nothing, no, no, no, but it does pay to give him from from early spring, really early spring, let's say August September, a little bit of that potage to just remind them, hello, wake up, time to flower. Yeah, and that is probably the way to go. Have you done that last year too?
Speaker 4: Well? I thought I did last year, but all my producer was runner Still I just think them out or keep persevering, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Keep persevering. But that potage should do it. That's self made of potash. If you water that into the soil, you know, of course, the soil's got to be nice and well drained and full of organic material. As you know, you do that too, I'm sure yeah, yeah, I'm sure. Well then it's the potage that should really wake those plants up. I would persevere with it.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, thanks for that.
Speaker 6: Good luck, Bruce, bye bye.
Speaker 3: All the best Bruce, you take care, and Diane a very good morning.
Speaker 25: Good morning Rose. I've got a bit of a challenge, and you helped me once before with my gloggy soil. It's about three or four years ago. But now I have gardens full of breastcas and spinach and silver beet at for different stages and all sorts of varieties of things. My leaks, however, have green soil.
Speaker 7: What have I done?
Speaker 25: Everything tiled apart from around my leaks.
Speaker 6: Oh, so, so the leaks are still in? What you mean you haven't? You haven't literally this is a new winter garden, okay. And what's wrong with the leaks.
Speaker 25: Well, the soil around the leaks has gone green.
Speaker 6: Soil has gone green? What with wheat or what?
Speaker 12: Am?
Speaker 20: I started it with a with a.
Speaker 25: Put the normal sheep poos and then chicken pools, and then I put the leaks in. After that, so normal trenching and then put the leaks in.
Speaker 6: That is the way I would do it for leaks. Because leaks are very nitrogen hungry things, aren't they. And but they are not growing very well. Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 25: No, they're not growing. But the soil, the soil has has got a green tinge. So the rist of guns fine toiled and everything, but the soil around the lakes has gone green.
Speaker 6: I would I've never seen it like described like that, or never seen it like the way you described it. Let's put it that way. I'm not sure what that green tinge means, and it might be that it wants some uh, phosphates for the for the roots of the plants to grow with, you know what I mean. So you can't just you can't just have an animal manure. I suppose on plants like that you sometimes do have to give them a little bit of general fertilizer with the normal balance of N, P and K. But in this case, especially the P you don't need the K, you don't want it the flower, but the phosphate is the one that might be lacking.
Speaker 25: Okay, I'll give that a try. Thank you very much for your help.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Diane, take care and Jerry, hey.
Speaker 7: There, good morning. I'd like to speaks rude about blackberries. Please go for it.
Speaker 6: Tell me what's the problem.
Speaker 7: We're we have some lovely BlackBerry wines. We get a lot of blackberries off them, but we find that the fruit is not as sweet as the local nature blackberries. What can I add to the soil to improve that sweetness?
Speaker 6: Potash? I know that for a fact. It goes for a lot of different plants like this, especially the berry plants. If you give them a little bit of selfate of potash, they not only set more fruit and are more willing to put more fruit, but the fruits also become sweeter. The same with the with the citrus as well. By the way, Oh great, yeah, So get yourself a little big selfate of potash already. Yeah, And you use it with and you use it as an add on to the normal general fertilizer like United Fosco Blue or whatever you use, and.
Speaker 7: You'll find it occasionally throughout.
Speaker 12: The year or.
Speaker 6: Night when you remember there you were just a bit thank you.
Speaker 7: And on another line, you will know Peter Sware Sport with the Doctor in college. Yeah yeah, what a great what a great band.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know the trinkle has been You don't worry, do you know? I'm a Jespianist.
Speaker 7: I did. That's one reason why I mentioned it, because I know you're into chat.
Speaker 3: Playing all of this theory. Take care and Jason, a very good morning to you.
Speaker 6: Oh hello, hello Jason. Where are you? Madiard?
Speaker 21: Thank you list. I went to the walk to Point Ship, which is an Auckland western springs at the zoo. Yeah, and it was raining and I spripped back two treezes bar and I couldn't see one water.
Speaker 6: Oh where did where?
Speaker 19: Did?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 6: Did you look for them?
Speaker 21: Just in the It was raining at the time, so I was under under a shelter of the trees. Yeah, you know, I thought I barking under some subs under the lea leaves and stuff, and I didn't see one meta wondering.
Speaker 17: W fot them?
Speaker 6: Well, if you if you go in that area. I used to find them hidden in the back of large pine trees, for.
Speaker 3: Instance, pine trees.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, no, they don't eat pine trees. But what I mean is, do you know how pine tree bark has got these wonderful grooves in it?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Not not okay, Well there you go. It's stuff like that. That's one place where you'd find them. The second place you could find them is especially when it's dark. Of course, when they come out is when they come out of old holes made by poor moth caterpillars. And you can find those not only in poor but also in the wetter in trees like that. And you'll find them coming out of those holes in Aukland, especially at night.
Speaker 21: What what what are these words for?
Speaker 7: Quite?
Speaker 6: What do these their worms look like? What do you mean?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 6: What do those holes look like?
Speaker 3: The holes?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the holes look like somebody has chewed a little bit on the bark in a diamond shaped pattern. There's a hole in the middle that goes into the tree and down in the shape of a seven. And that is a second hand dwelling for a tree weather and you'll find them even in the Chinese privet trees. They seem to love Chinese privt trees. So those holes are made by caterpillars over about five year time spent, and when they have emerged as big moths and flown away and did their mating and all that sort of stuff, the holes remain and weather go like this is my house and they take it over really well, never go.
Speaker 10: You do they bite?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they do, especially if you pick them up. But if you let them walk on you. When you let let them walk on you and you touch their antenna so they know what you smell like and get used to you, you can have a weather literally as a pet. And most of the kids that have worked with me will know exactly. My girlfriend is Dorothy. She's a female weather. She goes to all the schools and and she walks over the kids. She does everything. But initially, if you, for instance, mishandle them, Yep, they can bite and it can hurt.
Speaker 21: Well, I see them and I think, well they must arg you, but they don't.
Speaker 6: Well they can, they can.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, Jason, you have a great day, and ian a very good morning to you.
Speaker 17: Good morning to you.
Speaker 26: I'm looking to take cuttings off Lily Pilly and grow it and I'm watching to see what sort of length I should be cutting them out, and then what sort of media I should put it into. Tried putting it into a promised next, but it didn't seem to take very well.
Speaker 6: Okay are you And the reason you've said promise is because you needed You know that you need to take cuttings in reasonably well drained materials, right, Yeah, okay, what I do with Look, first of all, why would you use lily Pilly? By the way, can I ask some I'm quite quite curious about that for hedge for a hedge, okay, may I warning warning, Lily Pilly will get sillots, they will get honeyjew on them, they get sooty mold on them. Lily Pilly are also the plants that can transmit myrtle rust. So as a hedge, I think lily Pilly should from now on bee band. As an Australian interloper or South America, I might never is sure where they're from. Australian or South American interloper. That is actually causing usually more questions to this talkback radio show than any other plants. So if you, if you're a nice hatch, get yourself a native one, a karakia or a bit of sporum or something like that. Where where where do you? Where are you ringing from?
Speaker 10: Ian?
Speaker 6: Where do you live?
Speaker 7: Hy?
Speaker 6: Is that near Auckland?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 11: No, it's out of.
Speaker 6: Oh there? Okay, See if you can go to a local the Hamilton Botannic Gardens would problems probably have really good examples of what you can plant in your area and find a really nice native thing that you can use as a hedge. And to me quite honest, the cuttings go. Here's my recipe, half botting mix, half fine pumas, and probably it's the lack of the potting miss mix that caused it to dry out too quick. Your your cuttings, you know what I mean, And that's why they failed.
Speaker 3: Okay, ex no, you know everything you can do it probably not where Ian thought the conversation was going to go, But as soon as he said, Lily Pili I'm going to I was like, Hey, I'm wondering how long it's going to take for the hammer drops any gues? Yeah, not a great plant.
Speaker 6: I might as well be honest about that.
Speaker 3: Absolutely it is. Yeah, yeah, No, I mean anyone I know who's put on lipoli hedges it just Ton pain, Yeah, and contributing to, you know, the spirad of metal rust, which is not a great thing. So yeah, you're right, let's let's get rid of the damn thing. There you go, right, A very quick final call from you, Roger, how are you? Sir?
Speaker 12: Oh coo moya one minds lives in our isn't.
Speaker 6: Sorry? Sorry I could didn't get that.
Speaker 12: Sorry, one unranger knew and fun guard and one blows to believe and one loss leaves yet oh that.
Speaker 6: Could be because it's a different genetic genetic genetic species if you like. And also you're fertilized them both, have you. Yeah, well then they should be going all right, don't worry, it's just a matter of time. They might be a couple of weeks late.
Speaker 3: There you are, thank you don't always have to freak out a that's.
Speaker 6: Right, certainly not.
Speaker 3: Stay calm and yours too. In fact, let's do it again next week. Take care of mate, all the best now. Last week, a couple of weeks ago on the show, we did a little giveaway from my mates at Roobe, which was great and Cheryl was the winner of that, and as it happens, she lived not too far from where I had to run some errand, so I dropped in to see her last Sunday, which was delightful and a very worthy recipient of that prize pack from Raobi, so that was a big pleasure. That was lovely. Actually last week Cheryl having a bit of a chat with you, and actually turns out today's my nephew next birthday, so I'm going to embarrass him by saying happy birthday and lots of love.
Speaker 2: Mate.
Speaker 3: Right, let's go and do this all again next Sunday. Have a great week and we will see you, Oh Joseph. Technical Dreamcoat on at the Art Center starts on Friday, Friday, Saturday Sunday. Get your tickets.
Speaker 1: For more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp, listen live to Newstalk zet B on Sunday mornings from six, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.