Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News talks about again.
Speaker 2: That's the way it seems disappointing my tream. Then I saw her face.
Speaker 3: And welcome back to the Weekend Collective. I'm Tim Beveridge. This is the Health Hub, and just before I introduce the Health Hub, we'll look forward to five o'clock as well, we have a new guest on the show from Enable Me. It's Nadine Higgins talking about basically some of the easy ways you can achieve a better financial outcome by just paying attention to the stuff that's dragging you down. Right now, it is time for the Health Hub and my guest as well as well known to the show.
Speaker 2: Now, he's a personal.
Speaker 3: As I say this, I was going to say he's a personal health coach and a bunch of other things, but let's just give us name. Is Kent John's former broadcaster too. Actually it's worth remembering.
Speaker 2: And for the next hour current broadcaster, Yes, exactly, Thanks for having me, Tom. How are you? I'm good?
Speaker 3: How long is it since you were actually a regular sports DJ?
Speaker 2: Five years?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 2: Coming up? It was March twenty twenty. Does that feel like that? Does it feel like five years? What does it feel like? Honestly, I think about this often. I think that COVID period has completely discombobulated my sense of time. I've always prided myself on my memory. I prided myself on Oh, it's been eighty months since I saw her. More, it's been probably two years since I spoke to her. Now, got no idea. So does it feel like five years? If I went back and thought about everything that I've done since? Probably?
Speaker 3: Okay, that makes sense. Yeah, I know, you're just reminded me that whole thing with COVID, how.
Speaker 2: It did really stuff up the whole space time continuum. Since Yes, people's people's perception of time have been certainly I believe in the good point.
Speaker 3: Hey, onto the onto business.
Speaker 2: I'm quite interested about this idea about variety and routine because I think most people when they start an exercise habit and we've got this the new year, and people have I mean, it's such a cliche, isn't it. I've made a resolution, I'm getting it started.
Speaker 3: But for many people, you know, the Christmas comes, it goes, you eat too much and all that, and then the year starts and you get into it and you think, how do I need to start a new habit? And most people would imagine that what's important is getting the routine going, getting the habit going. And I guess, is there a difference between habit and routine because I've started doing something different? Curtis of one or other? I guess, Alex Flint. And so the routine for me is that I'm now going to a gym rather than going for a run at the moment. But within that routine, he's given me some variety. How do you how do you approach getting people cracking? But so the routine doesn't drag him down?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 2: I mean? A lot of questions on there, but no, I like this topic actually variety versus routine. It really comes down to the person. So if you can take a mindful approach to what it is that gets you going individually, then you'll have your answer. So for some people that I know that I coach the meticulous, that it's the same stuff, same days each week, Yeah right, and it works for them. For other people, they could get bored with that quite easily, and then they get disheartened and then they might give up or they start to feel like they're going backwards and they need some variety. So really long answer short, it depends on the person. Find something that works for you, Tim, that's a great way to at least get going. Find something that works. And it's about what it is the key to establishing a good habit. Yeah, and for me, because I look at people, for instance, I go to go for a swim now in the morning, I was thinking it was.
Speaker 3: That you I might have been thinking of because you did the cold You did the cold winter swims. I'm doing the cold summer sprint swims. It's actually not that cold, good boy, but it's not for exercise. I just simply go into because we're two hundre meet us from Koe Beach. I go down there and I look around at the world and it's calm and full tired, and you go for.
Speaker 2: A swim and it's lovely.
Speaker 3: But if I was one of those people I see every other morning or every morning, including in the winter, and the wet sits going up and down and up and down and up and down the beach, I think they would do me in in the end. So I'd be looking for some variety.
Speaker 2: Where are you? Are you a routine guy? What do you like a bit of variety. I'm somewhere in the middle. I like doing the same. I've got a really good walking route around where I live, which is and I can add on an extra k here and then take off of half five hundred minutes a year. So I've got that down pat. It's a great workout for me. And most of the time I'll go through the same way. But even now and then I want to do it backwards walking, not that I'm walking backwards, I'll do it the other way. Actually that would be quite hard work, particularly where I live, where the suburb is just full of hills. But that works for me. But I've also started to bring in some other new things too, like I play a bit more tennis now, I jump on the exercise bike a little bit more. I try and run at least once a week just to get the heart rate up, just to try and tie myself out. So I've got the variety within the framework of good, dependal, reliable sources of exercise that work for me, particularly around where I go. And how often does that make sense? Sort of, it's called a bob each way. It is a bob each way. Yeah, I think that's probably fair, which is fair, and because normally when I've gone to the gym and I've managed to keep some makes that I've managed to keep my exercise habits relatively relatively consistent. So when I have had my gym going sort of habits in the end, actually I've got sick of getting in the car and having to drive for fifteen minutes each way and then doing the workout because it was an hour and a half, two hours out of a day. That's what got me.
Speaker 3: But now that the routine I've got and I'm still keeping out with going to keep up with walking and stuff. But the routine I've got at the gym, it's three different workouts over the course of a week, which is what a lot of people actually do do And that does make a difference because I think if I was going to do the same it used to.
Speaker 2: Be the old school thing.
Speaker 3: You'd go bench press, you know, some lap pulled out, you know you're going. You can come up with a half a dozen exercises like there's your all body workout. But after a while it's like, oh goodness, have you ever suffered from too much routine where you've just got sick of something?
Speaker 2: Oh all the time. Yeah, totally all the time. A bob each way is good because it keeps your brain fresh, and it might be hey, look I really feel like a walk today, but I actually don't have time for fifteen minutes. I'm going to being out a twenty five minute run. So that's where it works, all right, And so I've come prepared. Look what I've prepared to have you prepared? So you know James Clear from Atomic Habits. No, So he wrote a book Atomic Habits a few years ago that has been the best seller by for millions and millions and millions of copies. He puts out a newsletter once a week and it's brilliant, and I would encourage people to subscribe to this. It gives you just some paus and thought for five minute each week to think about how you're going. And it's just some musings and some thoughts. So I thought this would apply beautiful to what we're talking about today. In his words, these are not mine. These I think you should just rip it off and not credit him. In theory, consistency is about being disciplined, determined, and unwavering. That's what we think it has to be. In practice, Consistency is about being adaptable. Don't have much time, scale it down, don't have much energy, do the easy version. Let your habits change shape to meet the demands of the day. Adaptability is the way of consistency. I totally and utterly endorse that, not just for myself, but for dozens and dozens of people that I have seen try hard to make change. I would totally endorse what he's saying because what happens to him is when we set a bar really high and I've got to be consistent, I've got to do the same, and I've got to have my routine. I've got to do this. I want to do that. Things get in the way, you fall over, things break down, whatever happens. Then we go too hard on ourselves and we don't make the little changes that we can make that may not be what we really want to be doing, but they're better than nothing, and so we stop all together. I think that boils down to something which is.
Speaker 3: Often say it to myself when I was doing the running and not necessarily enjoying it. It's simply taking action regardless of what it is. So, for instance, instead of thinking I've got to do this run I've got it to go for this long and it's a hot day, and all these sorts of things all I think of, And maybe this is slightly different, but it leads to adaptability. Is the first thing I do is I put my feet on the floor, I stick my feet in the shoes, and I get out the door, and the rest just happens. And so if I decide I'm actually feeling a bit nacked, maybe I'll go for a walk for a bit, and then I'll jog, and then I'll get into it. And I think, because I think that I can imagine that what that guy's referring to is if you, for example, would be if your workout has to be X, Y and Z at this time, if something gets in the way of that, then you just don't do it.
Speaker 2: You speak, yeah, yeah, So be adaptable, be flexible, go easy on yourself. You put your shoes on, go out and see what happens. Maybe do a run walk or a walk run. We'd love to hear from you on this eight hundred eighty ten eighty. And I think probably if you are a successful.
Speaker 3: Exerciser, and what I mean by successful exercise or is you actually just you're doing it, you're keeping it up? What is it that keeps you doing it? And have you had to mix up a bit of variety into it or you have you found that you need to establish a routine? I know, Yeah, So what to hear from?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 3: Give us your calls on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty routine? And how does that relate to being a habit? Because I know we getting caught up with a bit of semantics here, but how important does routine versus variety? Eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Give us a call on that, Kent John's is a health and wellness coach. He's worth us on that? And actually, what are the routines that have worked for you? And what are the routines that have failed? Are there routines, Kent that have failed for you?
Speaker 2: I struggle to go to the gym. I do you don't enjoy it? I'm quite pleased to hear you say that, because I've tried twice.
Speaker 3: But you see, normally win a health coach comes in, you'd expect that they just nail everything.
Speaker 2: Can I just let you in on a little secret. I know many many coaches, many coaches that I've had the pleasure of meeting. In the last few years. None of us, not a single one of us, has it all figured out. So one, what why did you wear fallible? Why don't you like the gym? Don't enjoy it? Why I get bored? I feel claustrophobic, I overheat, don't like it? You overheat? What are you working out on those?
Speaker 3: I'm just picturing you and sort of I don't know, head to foot.
Speaker 2: Likecra It's not a vanity thing. I know people are not looking. And I know of people that are scared to go to the gym or electant to go to the gym because they feel self conscious. And I've been enough, I've been dozens of times over the years to know that, Hey, people don't give a toss what I'm doing, but I struggle to feel to find the motivation to go.
Speaker 3: How long do you spend at the gym? Because I'm going to try and solve your problem for you right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I reckon, I've been anywhere between half an hour and sixty minutes. Okay, that's pretty quick. M okay, can help you if your suggestion is go for ninety minutes.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no no no, were.
Speaker 2: You doing that. Do you do the variety in your workout as well? For sure. I've had it all mapped out, I've had a trainer, I've had all of it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the things that that's made a difference for me is I've found a gym that's really close to home.
Speaker 2: It's four minutes and big help gosh, that.
Speaker 3: Makes a difference. That's the thing that just does me in. It's getting there getting back, but it's four minutes. It's like by the you know, listen to the headlines on the news, and if you.
Speaker 2: Go by the time you have made the decision as to whether I do it or not, you're already there.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: We're going to take some calls and let's get into it. Rachel.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hi, Hi, Hi, How are you excellent?
Speaker 2: Thanks? How are you doing?
Speaker 5: I'm good? Thank you. Hey. So I'm calling about routines or trying to give an exercise routine going yep. So I found myself after children gained lots and lots of weight. I had been paying for a gym membership for eleven years and only probably went a dozen times. And I'm still paying for that. I mean to the gym, but I'm still paying for that right now. But what I found has worked for me is walking and trying to do five k day of walking. And then I got to a point where I was doing that every day. I had done it for a year where I thought, actually, I think I could probably start running now, but I haven't yet. But I think it's just finding something that you enjoy. So I enjoy walking because we have our dog and I walk her every day with myself. So that's how I put into a healthy habit.
Speaker 3: So what was and how are you feeling about the future. Apart from having played, I think I've worked it out. It's about a thousand bucks a workout.
Speaker 5: Yes, I know right, it's disgusting. I'm embarrassed. And my husband right now is mowing the lawns are listening to you guys, so he'll be laughing at me.
Speaker 2: Your wife's a gym donor what's his name exactly? Actually, will this be news to him? Will he be going? What?
Speaker 5: Yeah? He will? Yeah? What do you week? You don't really notice that since you know twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Oh that is quite cheap. That is quite a cheaply cheap weekly thing. Are you looking to mix up?
Speaker 3: So what's your plan for the next six months with your exercise, with my walking.
Speaker 5: I eventually want to start running, but I I just I'm not there yet because I just I worry about my knees. And you know, I'm nearly fifty, so who knows. I don't know. I'll just keep walking and maybe I'll increase it to stephen k a day or something.
Speaker 2: How are your knees capping with the walking?
Speaker 5: That's fine, I know you're running right?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, not actually, but we do have a guest on the show's name is Greg Payne, who's a big advocate for running, and he's he's very good at getting people and giving people advice around getting running when you think you can't, because he says, it's usually down to a couple of very basic things to do with the speed of your cadence, that your posture and your footwear. So you should, don't you? Yeah, just google Greek pain running and see that might help you. Good only, Rachel, good luck.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, sorry, do you still pay for the gym?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I'm still paying for I will eventually go. I went in there one day and there were lots of young people and they were like kissing in between sets and taking pictures, and I just thought, oh no, I can't do that, so I just left after fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: Hang on, they were kissing in between sets. What do you mean like making it?
Speaker 5: You know? They were like young couples, you know, and they'd be doing their weights and then they'd get up and pick each other on them.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I had a curse and then it was just so weird and I thought I didn't I don't want.
Speaker 6: To be here.
Speaker 5: I think I chose the wrong time, thinking there's nobody there.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's your husband's name again, Tyson? I think you should get Tyson to go to the gym with you and take those kids on and the snogging stakes. Okay, every okay, sorry.
Speaker 2: Rachel, just kidding, but thanks for your core. And you know what, Rachel keeps walking like that'll know the spark, you know what. I feel like I might just run this little bit. It often happens. The spark will come when you least expect it. Indeed, sounds like good people watching at the gym, though, Tim.
Speaker 3: I've never seen people kissing at the gym. I've seen couples working out, But that sounds like that does sound I don't know what gim with that would be, but I mean he wants to be having a Oh I know she said it was peck on the cheeks sort of thing.
Speaker 2: But what the encouragement. It might just be encouraging. Well done, darling.
Speaker 3: There we go, theatrical kissing. There we go, Calvin.
Speaker 2: Hello, Yeah, very.
Speaker 4: Good afternoon, Tim and Ken. Now I'm madey three, so I don't buy the running round anymore. But I used to do a lot of walking and walking around the block in particular. And of course you're talking had regularity and the habit and what was the other word, you were using routine routine, that's right, Yeah, But what you've got to do is make your brain realize when you leave your house and you go at your letter box and you're going to go around the block, there's actually four ways you can do it. And what's but well blood, people don't even realize when you walk out of your driveway or whatever and you're going to go around the block. You can head straight away to the right and go around the block, or alternatively, head to the left, you go around the block. That's two number three is across the road and go to the right, or alternatively cross the road and go to.
Speaker 2: The left different.
Speaker 4: That's four ways. Now, when you've crossed the road and go around the block, you'll find you've walked a lot longer or run a lot longer than just immediately on your close boundary.
Speaker 3: It's not giving me a lot of distance there though, Calvin. At the moment, I'm sort of thinking extra twenty or thirty meters. But are you talking about actually going for a decent walk around the different block and just mixing it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you can make it, say two blocks we're instead of going into media block. Yeah. But what I'm getting at is that the crossing over the road and doing that same stretch of a block, you're you're doing quite a lot extra and meterage.
Speaker 2: Good good stuff of it.
Speaker 4: But it may not think so, but you will be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, thanks for that, Calvin. Yeah, yeah, well.
Speaker 3: I guess horses for courses on that one.
Speaker 2: Look, it's worked for him. He's doing well for eighty three sounds good.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's twenty four past four eight hundred eighty ten eighty. How have you established a successful exercise routine and when have you failed to do it? And what are the lessons that we can all learn from that. We'd love to have your calls. And was variety despite the fact we're talking about routine, was that something that helped with it?
Speaker 2: Eight hundred eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 3: Text nine two. This is the Weekend Collective. It's twenty four and a half past four.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show. This is the week in Collective of the Health Up. I was trying to think, who is this. I can't think of the name of the band.
Speaker 3: But that's Hello Sailor, of course, and that was thanks Kent John's.
Speaker 2: Kent John's is my guest for your USO. And I'm telling you twice now who's singing what song?
Speaker 3: I'm terrible with knowing much about anything that I'm outside of what I'm interested in. I'm always listening to things about twenty or thirty years after the event. Anyway, we're talking about establishing a healthy or a successful routine of exercise. What has worked for you and how important does variety within that routine? Give us call one hundred and eighty ten eighty Diana.
Speaker 6: Hello, Hi there, guys.
Speaker 8: I just want to tell you what my husband and I do. I'm a seventy two year old and My husband's seventy five, and we have an up deck and down down routine every morning, which is a walk that we've survised, which is a bit of straight, a bit of stairs upstairs, downstairs, up till downhill. And he also plays eighteen holes of golf twice a week, and I line dance, and I go to yoga and plates and I just think exercise has got to be like breathing. I mean, you get it and breathe every day. So put it both exercise into your day and it's enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Do you remember a time when you didn't exercise.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you've probably been doing it successfully for a very long time.
Speaker 8: I've tried to drink the Jim Jummy thing, but it wasn't for me. I just got totally bored there. So while you're walking, you bump into people, you way to people, you see people's gardens, and it's an enjoyable form of exercising. And I just said, we get up early in the morning, or if we don't manage to do that, we go up a beach walk at night. But we tried to put stairs in because I heard a doctor saying once that don't stop time upstairs when you get older, because your joints or seaze up. So we try to put stairs in to our walk every day. And my husband's got a full knee replacement, but we still we just do and we go as fast as we can because hear our heart rate up.
Speaker 3: Do you motivate each other or is it just that the fortunately you're in a relationship where you both enjoy the exercise and so, or does one of you have to say, come on, get your shows on.
Speaker 8: Well, my husband enjoys golf, he's not so fussed on the walking. But after his heart specially said to him, gosh, your hearts, you're healthier than you were a few years ago.
Speaker 5: Why is that?
Speaker 8: He said, My wife gets me up walks every day. And he said, well, come batch your lady. She's keeping you alive. So I think now he's realized that whiting those best in this instance, only in the systems.
Speaker 3: Of course, I've got to say, sorry, Kent, I don't know if you ran a charging along.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say, Diana, you when you started talking, I thought you were probably in your thirties. Some people have very useful voices or forty, but you well well.
Speaker 3: So actually just going back on you. You know you've got the walking and you do stairs and all that sort of thing. Has there been a journey to that in terms of you know, you've built in the stairs and all that sort of thing, or have you always been an active couple.
Speaker 8: Well, when I was working, I always seem to walk and work a tall buildings and my job was quite seventory. So one of my jobs I work twenty one floor is up and I used to see some of the partners running up and down these stairs at lunchtime. So I thought, right, if they can do it, I can do it. So in my lunch I'd have a quick lunch and they'd walk up and down these twenty one flights of stairs. And I told her a gym guide this and he said, oh my god, walking stairs are the best thing you can do. They just are good to every part of your body. So that's going back twenty years. So I've just kept it up since then.
Speaker 3: Just just nate slightly mischievously. So are you interested in taking up golf or is that your moment of tranquility?
Speaker 8: So my don't even let my husband hear you say that. He said, I'm the most uncoordinated person he's ever met. And luckily he wasn't too close to me, so I couldn't have them.
Speaker 2: Well you might have missed if that was the case to draw or one would have to be able to reach him.
Speaker 8: Sorry, I leave the golf up to him? Did he leave the line dancing up to me? And I know who has the most fun?
Speaker 7: That's me?
Speaker 3: Hey have you have you ever had your exercise it rub off on some of your friends as well? Or are you part of a sort of a group of people who are naturally active, because have you managed to encourage people to adopt your lifestyle?
Speaker 8: A couple of them, but all of them won't walk with me because they asked me if I'm trying to kill them because I'm walking too fast and especially upstairs, so they won't go with me. But I do have a couple of friends that love walking upstairs and things. We live it up in the Hibiscus Coast and we've got some really good walks with them. And we've just done the co Anger Happy Gorge and you made up the mount. We walked up, walked up the mount. I'm last weekend?
Speaker 3: Oh brother, Oh look, I always and can anyone who lives near the mount If that becomes part of your exercise return, I think you'll be very healthy yourself. Maybe with your friends, you could say you could go and do your energetic part, and you'll say, look, I'll come back when I've got twenty minutes left and you can do the rest of the walk with me.
Speaker 8: Maybe I'm quite heavy to walk with my husband on my own because I like to talk to myself when I go around. I thought all the world's troubles out, So that's my bit of calmer for me.
Speaker 3: Good on you, hey, thanks for that, and good work. Good work. I'd love to see Diana have a crack at golf just for her, just to test her husband's patience on that.
Speaker 2: It's interesting too that her friends can't keep pace. It's hard, isn't it when you know when you're walking with someone and you've got to find your own pace. You've got to find your own rhythm. If you're walking too quick, then the other person can't. You feel like you're walking too quick, you can't sustain it. If you feel like you're walking too slow, that can actually be quite taxing. So it's important that you try and go at your own pace, which is not always conducive to walking with somebody else. ACU.
Speaker 3: It's funny when you come up when I'm going for a walk because I've had to take a break from running, just with he's being a bit irritated. I find that if somebody is walking a little faster than me and I hear their footsteps catching up, I do feel and the need to increase my pace because I don't know why, because I sort of think, well, it's walking, there's no reason I should be slower than anyone else.
Speaker 2: My partner says to Kent, slow down, slow down, you're walking too quick, and I'll say, hey, speed up, you're walking too slowly.
Speaker 3: Well, you do have a slightly longer gate than You're right and who's wrong. I'm going to go with the wife on this one, just because you always should go with the wife's opinion.
Speaker 2: Your part Diana would agree with you. Tell you what.
Speaker 3: We will take another break and come back with some more calls.
Speaker 2: In just a moment. It's twenty five minutes to five news talk. Z'd be.
Speaker 3: Guys, welcome back to the Weekend Collective. This is the health I have. My guest is Kent. John's is a health and wellness coach, and we're talking about getting your routine going. Actually, we want you to give us the benefit of your experience. What has worked and what hasn't when it comes to establishing a successful exercise habit, and where does variety come into it for you as well? At one hundred eighty ten eighty, Pete, good, good afternoon.
Speaker 6: They can cure the king. Oh, Pete, marry.
Speaker 2: Here good to hear from here you go, Well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm good. I wanted to talk positiveularly about proactivity and exercise and practice, and I just want to say I spend two hours a day. Happen doing this for two and a half decades.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 6: I spend two hours a day in the morning when I get up, half an hour for tide che sticking exercises, half an hour for tide t half an hour for mixed martial ads in much. I also practice in the left from the right hand yin half an hour from meditation.
Speaker 2: Wow, well done.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: If I'm learning a new move or seeing the next to half an hour or two an hour I'm practicing on me, I'm ta from box self in.
Speaker 3: Sorry self taught, Pete, well done?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, how are your daughters? Going to the martial rights certainly needs him.
Speaker 3: My daughters are not doing martial arts training. One does ballet and the other does soccer, hockey, hockey and netball.
Speaker 2: But they I thought.
Speaker 6: They were taking that marshal away.
Speaker 2: Oh no, where there was there was a possibility it might have happened because there's been some nasty things going on. But now we're not doing that, but we may do. You never know.
Speaker 3: There's always time. Hey, good to hear from your pete. Thanks so much for your call.
Speaker 2: Uh that's not a bad routine. Eh, Oh no, that's discipline. Actually tell you who else is an amazing discipline on that. I interviewed Grant Dalton.
Speaker 3: On for the Breakfast Show and he gets up at about half past four, goes for a run around the domain and does a couple of hours of exercise seven days a week.
Speaker 2: Man. Thing is about exercise, particularly early. You can win the day with exercise and I adhere to that strongly. In that belief is that it can be counterintuitive. You think I need to stay in bed, but actually going out and moving and exercising will give you more energy than what you've got just by lying in bed. Actually, I'm not mean to contradict.
Speaker 3: That's because I at one hundred percent agree with that it's better to get up in the morning. But lately, just course my hours, I tell myself, you know what, Tom, if you're going to go to the gym at two because it's indoors, I guess I don't have to worry about the heat, that's okay. But so long as you've established that willpower that you know that when that clock ticks over you you get out the door and do it.
Speaker 2: Ay, you're out of there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, let's take some more calls.
Speaker 7: Matt, Hello, Hey, Tim and Ken. I've been walking most days, but every Monday, me and a friend we go walking up up on the bush and we mix it up on different walks. But last week we hit quite a steep trail when it was sort of real tramping compared to gentle walking in the bush, and man, my legs in hits were sort of aching after it. But you know, it was good to break the routine and just adding extra steepness certainly feels like more of a workout, but that's just part of my routine and mixing it up. But my real question today is what do you think about running for half an hour versus walking for an hour? Does it burn the same amount of calories? Or which one is running more beneficial if you don't have more much time.
Speaker 2: They're both being official clearly. If you don't have as much time, you're going for runners great. The good thing about going for a run, Matt, is that it'll get you up into to your different heart rate zones a little bit quicker, and it's probably a tougher workout. Do you find that half an hour of running is tougher physically than one hour of walking?
Speaker 7: To be honest, I'm not really running you right, I be walking for quite a while, but my knees I'm trying they do kind of heard if I push it, And I'm just leaning into the walking even though I've been doing it a while. But I feel like I'm getting fit enough I could run, yeah, but maybe a fast, faster walk.
Speaker 3: In terms of calories, I'm just doing a Google search on this, so you can't really rely on this. And AI tells me that running for half an hour will burn more calories and significantly more calories than walking for an hour.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It depends on what sort of walking. If you're walking up the mount. I'm going to go with the walking.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, because I couldn't run up the all like that. So yeah, it's just interesting, you know, thinking about it all. But yeah, that was my question, thinks.
Speaker 2: Are you enjoying exercising?
Speaker 7: I am because I've lost weight and feel better about myself. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Actually that's a good point. Benefits of it and actually can it actually.
Speaker 3: Doesn't take long until you do feel better about exercise, because people say, oh, it's going to be at least six weeks until I see any sort of benefit and stuff. But actually the three the feel good factor does make you. I think it even affects the way you view yourself.
Speaker 2: The research is in it's pretty conclusive to him that if you could put wrap up one thing into a pill, that would actually help people with depression, anxiety, major mental illness. Yeah, it's exercise, but it's free, doesn't cost anything. It's not much chopped for the pharmaceutical companies. They can't make any money on prescribing exercise.
Speaker 3: But you can't prescribe in dolphins, can you can you? I don't know if they come in a pill form, but one would like to think you get.
Speaker 2: Literal think of dose, dopamine, oxytocin, serotonin, and dolphins. You get all of that during the run, but also afterwards as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, and now someone has actually got a question. Hey, guys, what is walking fast? I used to run on the day and could walk at four minutes a kilometer. I'm now walking. What is a fast pace?
Speaker 2: Four minute walking?
Speaker 3: For minute walking four minute kilometer?
Speaker 2: I was just hang on, that doesn't sound salzible, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Hang on, four minute walking. That means I have to do some calculations on that. That means every four hundred meters you are doing that.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'll have to I'll to calculate this in mind. I wonder what those Olympic walkers actually average per kilometer, because four minute walking case, I mean four minutes to run as fast. If you're running at four minute k pace, tim, that's quick Olympic. Actually, no, that is that is doable for hang on, that's four minute per kilometers. So how many kilometers is that in an hour? Fifteen fifty are? Yeah, No, I'm not sure that's that's Olympus Olympic race walker pace. Because we're casting aspersions on this person suggesting they're not at that pace.
Speaker 3: Olympic race walkers go at eight point six eight to nine point four five miles an hour. Convert that to kilometers an hour. That's that's what this guy's talking about. That's are they just are they just texting that to brag?
Speaker 2: Most people can't run form minute case that is cranking. That's quick man. I just probably next caller, it's what have you noticed at the start of the year with your clients and things that you're working with. I think the one thing that I come back to with my coaching the people that I coach, but also I told you recently, Tim, I started a part time job at a health clinic and remy wear Autonomy Health, and so we're talking with people that are coming in regularly wanting to get healthy, whether it be because they're sick, or whether it's be because they're wanting to prevent illness in the future. I think the one word that everyone seems to coming back with at the moment is energy. People are wanting more energy. And when you don't have energy and you're not feeling energized, it doesn't matter how motivated you might be to walk or to run, or to move or to exercise. If you ain't putting the right stuff in the tank, or you're mentally drained, very very difficult to do the things that you think you should be doing. So I know this to be true that if you change what you're eating. Think of it as a car scenario. Some cars run more efficiently on ninety one, others run efficiently on ninety five. Others go on diesel. We've now got battery powder and all of the rest of it. Cars need the right fuel to run economically and beautifully and smoothly. Well, our bodies are exactly the same. So there are people out there who are beating themselves up for not actually moving, but they don't have the energy to do it. Chances are they're overtired and are not eating or fueling their bodies in the right way. That can make a massive difference, because, as we know, if you start to do that all of a sudden, out of nowhere, that desire to move, that desire to exercise, it can really surprise you. But it's there, it'll be hidden away. So if you can unlock that, great That's what I've noticed to start twenty twenty five is the number of people just completely down on energy, which comes as no shocked and given how tough people found last year.
Speaker 3: Hey, by the way, I've got an apology to make. I completely misread that text. I did the textra disservice. Hey, guys, what is walking fast? I used to run in the day and could run at four.
Speaker 2: Minutes a kilometer. Here you go, that's fast. I'm now walking. What is a fast pace? I just don't know. I would imagine I walk quickly, and I go between sort of eight to eight thirty pace for walking, and I can sustain that thirty What does that mean? Eight to eight and a half minutes for what per kilometer? And I can sustain that for well over an hour? Okay, so eight And let me tell you, I've never ever, ever been able to do four minute k's running, So this person's fitness is probably better than mine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that does four minutes a kilometer. Actually, if you're running at Olympic racewalker pace, because let's face it, those of race walkers.
Speaker 2: Crack on, don't they. They move it quite quite a speed.
Speaker 3: So you're doing well. But look, I think everyone knows when you're walking fast. If you're meandering along, I would say that fast walking would mean that you can probably still sort of hold a conversation, but you might need to take a few puffies.
Speaker 2: Come back to the FMP fastest maintainable pace. What's the quickest I can walk out that I know I can sustain for the forty five minutes or the sixty minutes that I'm working for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good stuff, Right, We've got time maybe to take another call or two.
Speaker 2: We'll have a look at a couple of the texts before.
Speaker 3: We come back. We're with Kent John's. He is a health and wellness coach.
Speaker 2: It is, by the way, if people want to get in touch with your Kent Yeah, they can reach out to me personally Kent Kent John's Health dot co dot m Z, or if they want to come and see myself or one of our great team at Autonomy Health check us out there too. Excellent.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll be back in just tomorrow. It's eleven minutes to two five. Just rocking back to the Weekend Collective with Tim Beverage. My guest is Kent On. He's the Health and Witness health and Witness, health and wellness coach.
Speaker 2: What the hell was that? Have I been a witness to.
Speaker 3: Witness to a witness to positive results.
Speaker 2: There by the way, that was pink same as your polo.
Speaker 3: Shit, thank you and the artist, yes, thank you? All right, yes, yeah, I'm rocking. I'm rocking the piece.
Speaker 2: He's giving me the thumbs up. Ken, you know what you're talking about? How good is that? Excellent? Hey Ethan today?
Speaker 9: Oh hey hey Ken, Hey Tim? How's it going? That's good, that's good. Just been listening to you guys conversation for about half an hour and now, and we can relate to quite a few things, one being the energy side of things with the exercise I do, and the mental health side of things too. So what I quite enjoy doing is a weight training session five am most mornings.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's good.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So just just a kind of more of a bodybuilding type weight listing, like you're going to do like a push pull legs type split. We're one day I'll do like some bench press and flies, some shoulder work, and then another day I'll go legs, so squat's and hamstring training, and then the third day the backs, some back stuff, rows, the blackpool downs, and then some bicep work.
Speaker 2: What makes you keep it up?
Speaker 9: Well, just finding the consistency in it. Do after a while see some quite good results. I'm a person who actually has quite a high metabolism, quite a physical job, and I do find it quite hard to maintain a lot of mass. But with the right diet and that consistent training, I have found I've put on a good solid ten ten kilos in the last three years, which definitely shows up on my physique.
Speaker 3: When you say you can see the results, do you mean when you look in the mirror, you go.
Speaker 9: Well, look at the mirror. And then also just with the progressive overload training, just being able to lift more throughout the months.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how quickly you see that happen. I'm even doing it with a more general workout. It's surprising, isn't it.
Speaker 2: The body likes to be stressed, and that's why. But the body likes to be stressed, and then it likes to recover and then it comes back stronger.
Speaker 9: And then I mean, for the morning session, if I get up full thirty, have a quick something to eat, maybe a little bit of coffee or pre workout, do my hour of weight training with the warm up, and then have a shower at the gym, I'll walk out of there, say six thirty to hit home, help with the kids and the wife. Just feeling a hundred one hundred times better than if I would just say roll out of bed at sick.
Speaker 3: I just had one last question for you, Ethan, what time are you getting to bed?
Speaker 9: So I try to get to bed. I'd try to aim between seven and eight hours sleep. So if I'm getting to bed, say eight thirty, that's the best I can really do. Most nights, nine going good, nine thirty. Sometimes for any later than that, you do start to as the week's goo go.
Speaker 3: Quely easier when you've got kids too, because you sort of put them to bed and it's like, what dad's going to bed too?
Speaker 2: So where you go?
Speaker 9: Yep, pretty much do try and get them at the routine as usually dinner, get the kids to bed, walk the dog straight home, packed my stuff for the morning, and then I'm good to go, good to head off to bed, and the wife usually stays up. He's a bit more of a night our well done. Thanks for cool mate, That's what works for me.
Speaker 2: Good on.
Speaker 3: I think that the thing that comes out of that is if you're getting the results that.
Speaker 2: He's getting the results, he's found something that works for him, he's got that eight hour sleep window, and he might naturally be suited to going to bed early and getting up early, So he might be one of the lucky ones in that regard that he's a lark rather than the old night owl who struggles to go early tim and doesn't want to be up before eight exactly.
Speaker 3: We got one text here. I think we can answer very quickly. Somebody's just asked us yoga or pilates good for body strength? In particular, pilates is amazing.
Speaker 2: For body strength. I think very good. I think even me, as a non expert, can tell you that and ask any ballet answer Hey Kent, and you know, sir, I do. I do. Indeed, Hey, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: That was great And if you want to check k Kent's workout, you get in touch with the team and autonomy and we'll look forward to next time.
Speaker 2: Take care man, I will.
Speaker 3: Indeed, we got a new guest next for Smart Money. It's Nadine Higgins will be with us. This is the Weekend Collective. It's come out for three minutes two five News talks EDB.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to News Talk SAIDB Weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio