Speaker 1: This is Football Fever. Hello and welcome into a fresh episode of Football Fever as we cover of all things New Zealand football, the national teams, the Wellington Phoenix and Auckland FC in the A League and Kiwi's playing overseas. I'm Jason pine Bonnie Jensen's here too, Hello.
Speaker 2: Bonniet Piney. We're through to the World Cup.
Speaker 1: We're going to the World Cup next year and we want to say we I mean we as a nation, obviously, we as the All Whites and hopefully a few of the sporting media as well, including the Football Fever team. Happy birthday for yesterday, by the way, you celebrated by watching the All Whites eventually beat New Caledonia. What did you make of it in general terms?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a firstly great, great way to celebrate my birthday. I was nervous. I think a lot of a lot of people there in the stands or watching and listening to you Piney and the commentary. We're nervous in that first kind of hour of the match. I was really really improve spaye New Caledonia. And I don't know if I'm bad in saying this, but I was kind of cheering for them a little bit. I thought it was I thought it was awesome the competitive match that they put on and probably made the game more exciting. Yes, we would have liked to see a few more goals, but they really competed with the All Whites and I'm glad that New Zealand were able to get it done. I think the most impressive thing for me was the depth on display from the All Whites.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they changed things up and needed to. Can we talk about New Caledonia because I too was really impressed with them, I really was, and I'd watched them play Tahiti on Friday in Wellington. I thought, you know, they're a good team. They were clearly better than Tahiti, but I still thought that might be their final. They might have played their big game. They knew they were still even if they were beaten last night. They had the playoff tournament, so they could have been forgiven for having played their final in Wellington. But for the first forty five minutes, yes they were under pressure from New Zealand, but they repelled everything thrown at them. Can bear that to Fiji, who led a goal in the sixth minute. You know, after half an hour, their three nail down games gone at halftime. I'm not sure if you saw it. Halftime in the game, New Zealand were walking off and there were pointed fingers and gesturing and arguments happening. A team under pressure. New Caledonia were in a huddle solidarity like, guys, we've done a great job here. I think we have to give a huge raptor to New Caledonia. They really contributed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do, and we actually spoke about just before halftime. You know, imagine this changing room, what that's going to be like in the New Caledonian changing room at halftime. I think it made the match what it was. And what I really liked about them as well is they could have just gone in part to the bus against New Zealand, and you know they did that to some extent, but for the most part they were trying to play and they actually had a couple of good opportunities. Yes, they were barely in the attacking, but they were moving the ball really nicely and that's what I think was impressive. So you know, on the men's and women's sides, we see these Oceania nations just park the bus against New Zealand. It's all they can do, but I don't think they did that at all last night. And I also want to give a shout out to the goalkeeper. I thought he was very impressive and I hope he, you know, is on an A league radar. I think I don't know if that's a fast stretch or not, but I thought he was really good. He was really confident in there and cause a lot of trouble for New Zealand.
Speaker 1: The tremendously named Rocky nie Kine. Yeah, I thought he was good to He made a number of impressive saves. Yeah, like I liked him. I liked New Caledonia. And we got to just before the hour mark and Chris Wood goes down, tries to get up, tries to play on, can't. So here we are nil. All our captain, our leading goal scorer, our most obvious source of goals has to come off. Were you starting to think, hey, this is going to be this is going to be something we absolutely didn't expect.
Speaker 2: Controversial opinion, But I wasn't as probably less nervous when Chris Wood did come off. I was more optimistic at this point. I don't think it was necessarily working with the way New Zealand were trying to play so direct. You know, I think we play a lot around Chris Wood. Naturally you would, He's a Premier League goal scorer. Why wouldn't you. However, we're becoming too predictable and that in that way, and we've actually got some unbelievable forwards in Sapret saying Callum Macawa, Eli just and I just feel like we're trying. We're kind of one sighted, one minded on Chris Wood. So when he did go down injured, I was I was gutted for him, and I was gutted for the team. I was kind of thinking more about his Premier League run, but I wasn't nervous in terms of the game last night, and I think as that showed when the players who did come on, Costa and Eli and Francis, they did a good job.
Speaker 1: I knew you would be pleased about Francis de Maurie coming on and coming on at halftime as well and pushing Libby Cacacci further forward. Look, I think you and I have got slightly different views on Francis. Look, I'm a big fan of his as well, but I was surprised that he was brought on at halftime. However, I have to say he was terrific. He was really good, wasn't he.
Speaker 2: It's just the weight of his pass is so spectacular. And I think we've discussed this on the podcast before, but Francis has been not back in the past by coaches for his crossing not being any good, and he's worked on that and improved. And I really liked that. Darren Bezi clearly listens to the Football Fever podcast and had both Francis and Libby on that same side. I think they've still got to gewl a bit better, and then that I would like to see them play more on that side together at international windows because quite a few times they were both making the same run and you could see there was a bit of a miscommunication. But I think, you know, Francis is a better crosser than Libby and Libby's better at cutting in, so why not have both at the same time. You could see, you know, this is a weey way away yet, but into our month's time, eighteen months time at the World Cup, you know, Francis is someone that you can bring off the bench and do a good job. He's done that in both games now, so a key acid, I think, whether it's starting or coming off the bench.
Speaker 1: And provided the cross for the opening goal, which was just on the hour mark. He took the corner, dropped it on the head of Michael Boxel, who had never scored a goal in fifty four previous games for New Zealand. Elder statesman of the side, got up at the far post, and I think inside the ground the cheer for that goal was as much relief as it was elation, because we'd waited an hour and we were all starting to think, I think, hey, is this not going to go to script at all? But once Michael Boxill scored that goal, and then five minutes later cost of Barbarusis, who was also excellent off the bench, added a second, it felt from there as though the game was under control. And then Eli just with the third goal again Francises so he you ask your subs to make an impact, Francis to rees absolutely ticking that box.
Speaker 2: Yeah he is. I was sitting just behind that goal in the in the second half way they scored and was on the side of Francis, So I did notice how intelligent that that cutback was. He could have gone direct into Eli just who was sitting around the penalty spot, but instead he just cut one back to Costa, who then got the touchoff. So yeah, very very smart player. And really happy for Francis because I know he's had a few setbacks, as we say. But also another shout out to New Caledonia. I thought even when they went down one too now, they still kept trying to play and I'm really excited for them. I don't know who they'll come up against in the in the playoffs. I think it won't be decided to November, but yeah, I don't know what their chances will be back, but good on them.
Speaker 1: I think they'll have everybody here cheering for them. I mean we'll be cheering for them right across Oceania and who knows. So you're right, we don't know who they're going to play, but it'll be well, it'll be a team that hasn't qualified automatically, just like they haven't, so it's not going to be a really really top team probably. Look, they'll be underdogs, of course they will, but they'll take huge confidence and inspiration from last night because I, at the risk of repeating ourselves, they were very good and and you know, really good participants in that football match last night. A couple of other shout outs. I want to give Tyler Binden, the youngest player in the New Zealand side, could have been the youngest on the pitch even last night. What a player he could be for New Zealand, just at his age to be playing with the composure and just the surety wins his headers, makes his tackles calm under pressure. Man, what a player he could be for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just you saying that party gives me goosebumps. He's so young yet so wise. He looks confident out there, but not arrogant. You know, he actually plays one of the highest levels across the squad. And another player that I was really impressed with his you know, his weighted passes over the top that are just so subtle but they're kind of perfect. And you and I Piney were talking just outside the office before about you know, it's who's going to play alongside Tyler?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where we are now. It's not will Tyler be in the team, it's who partners him at center back and there's stiff competition in there. I thought Michael Boxle again last night his goal but also as general play was exceptional, But then you look at Nando Pinekeert, naturally left sided and probably had had a pretty good case to say I should be starting. Then there's Finn Sermon, who's started the last two games for Portland Timbers, was purposely not picked for the squad so that he could, you know, stake his claims at club level in twelve months time. If he's got a season of MLAs under his belt, he's knocking on the door. Then there's Tommy Smith, the closer, the experience head, the man who went to the World Cup in twenty ten, is a fresh i faced nineteen year old, and others as well. So but I think you're right. I think we're now at the point where it's Tyler Binden plus who because, yeah, without wanting to pump a young guy's ties up too much, he could play three or four World Cups, he'll play in the Premier League, he'll captain New Zealand. I've got no doubt about it. He's a player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm getting really excited by the likes of Tyler. But then also you know Alex Paulson, who we didn't see play in this window, but you know should probably could be starting for the All Whites at the next World Cup, and then you've got the likes of Finn Sermon, as you say, and the prospect of these young players is huge. Another one Ben Old who's obviously injured right now, but I can come back and easily kind of pick a spot. So that again what I mentioned earlier, It is really pleasing to see the depth in this all white squad which we haven't had in previous cycles.
Speaker 1: You want to get onto that in the moment what it means for the squad for next year, because we are at the point now where good players aren't going to make the squad. In the past, perhaps it's been like, okay, well we've got eighteen good players and we'll just add another five. There are fifty or sixty players on Darren Baizley's whiteboard in his office, and I spoke to him earlier on today and I said to him, I reckon, and this was my personal view. You could probably write down sixteen of the twenty three Let's say it's twenty three, it could be twenty six. We're not sure exactly whether it'll be twenty three man squad or expanded to twenty six. Either way, good players are going to miss out. But the most important thing for the players who are in that bracket, and in fact the ones who are in the top sixteen, if we want to call it that as well, they must be playing club minutes. They must be playing for their club. And there are a bunch of guys who aren't, who aren't getting good minutes. Ben Wayne's a good example, hasn't found regular minutes at Mansfield. Matt Garbett doesn't have a sight to play for at the moment. Others as well, and Bill Tuweloma is the cursory tail here. A couple of years ago he was in the first eleven, played every international. Now he can't even make the squad because he's not playing. You've got to be playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you absolutely do. And we are lucky that so many, so many of our of our all whites play beyond the A League now, like no A League player other than Tim Payne. I think it was started in this window and we saw obviously costs to come on and then Logan got some minutes as well. But that's really exciting. But you do wonder for those players like Ben Wayne. Matt Garbett is another one. I think who's not getting minutes. Would it be that bad if they came back to someone somewhere like Auckland f C, like the Wellington Phoenix, just to ensure minutes over the next eighteen months. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I think Ben Wayne should look. I know they probably don't want to. You know, once you're in Europe, I think there's a reluctance to come back because it looks you know, and this is not true, but the perception is that you've failed overseas. Oh he's come. It didn't work out for him, he wasn't good enough. That's not the case. Look at a guy like Nando Pineke. He was kicking around in Europe at various clubs and never really found the place that was a natural level for him. I think slugger rovers you know, that's probably below the A League. Come back play a season in the A League. You're on TV every week, the national coach is right there watching you. I mean, the reason Francis Devrez is in the All White is because he's playing well for Auckland f C. That is the best example of this.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Another one is Logan Rogerson who's been overseas and is coming back and scoring a whole heap of goals for Auckland f C. I think another mention is Calin Elliott and no, he's not quite you know, in that group yet, but he's on the front will be all White special and he's not starting for Auckland FC, but he's coming on and performing and getting good minutes. So yeah, I think if I'm Ben Wayne, or if I'm one of those those players not getting minutes overseas, I'm wanting to do everything I can to make that World Cup next year. It's a once at a lifetime opportunity.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. You've got to be playing, and you know, at the risk again of repeating ourselves, if you're not playing at your club, then you have to find a way to play, because it doesn't matter who you are if you don't have match minutes. And I think actually Matt Garbett had a pretty underwhelming couple of games and he hasn't been playing, so that's probably not surprising. He's still going to give you energy and vigor every time he plays. But without having those regular games, you're just not used to having the boots on, you're just not used to being on the grass. So yeah, there's a few players who probably have to work themselves out over the next little while. Just before we hear from Chris Wood, just back to the first two goal scorers. There is a lot of chat about the younger players in the squad, and rightly so, they're good players. But Michael Boxel thirty six years old, Costa barbarusis thirty five years old. The old heads got the job done. You know. They're the ones who who in many ways rescued New Zealand from a tough spot. So there's a lot to be said for for experience and moments like this. Earlier today I had the chance to catch up with Chris Wood, who obviously left the field after an hour last night. Caught up with Chris to find out the nature of his injury and also how he felt about helping guide New Zealand to another World Cup. Well, Chris, would nice to see you the day after. Let's start with the reason you went off and how you are. What can what can you tell us? What what was the injury and how is it today?
Speaker 3: To be fair, I can't say too much because I don't know at the moment. I have to go get it checked out today and get some some scans on and things like that, but hopefully it's nothing too serious. Landed awkward awkwardly, I think, and I've just got to deal with what comes out now.
Speaker 1: So it's your hip. What part of the specific part of your body is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, hep and rib. It's just one of those that just felt a lot of pain and couldn't push off with it through my leg and once it happens, I can't run and the best thing is to get off and let someone else do a job, because I'd be letting the team down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are the emotions at that time? Because I'm sure you want to stay on right, you want to guide your team to the to the World Cup. What are the emotions that go through your head? Is your battle with that but also with what's best for your body and for the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think you have to think about the team first. I was doing nobody in any favors. I couldn't couldn't move, couldn't couldn't defend, and couldn't help any in for those one or two minutes that I tried to stay on and things like that. I was letting the side down just not being able to do what we needed to do, and especially in a big game where everybody had to be counted for. So, yeah, you have to do the right thing. And I think Base called it very early. He saw it, and I think it was the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: So describe how it was on the bench before the first goal. You're sitting there, you can't impact the game anymore, it's still nil nil. Do you then become a bit of a fan like like us and get a bit nervous?
Speaker 3: Not not really. I think the long of the games goes on, probably we've got a bit more nervous. But I still had a huge belief in our team. We've done well in the first half, just didn't go in for us. Second half, we were doing well and started well and we believed there was always going to be a goal. We just needed to make sure we weren't doing anything wrong at the other end, and the defense was fantastic in that sense. And yeah, and when Box he put that goal in, I mean when when kind of felt like, here we go, we're ready to kick on now. And he's been been a champion of all ways for a long period of time, so it's special that he was just scored his first goal on that big occasion.
Speaker 1: If there was a sweepstake and you could pick, you know, your your favorite top goal scorer, I think your eyes would have passed over Michael Boxer, wouldn't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, potentially with us, with with this history record of it, but special goals, special moment, special man. So yeah, it's fantastic for him, and yeah, we're very happy for him.
Speaker 1: And there's a lot of talk about the young players and this team and rightly so. But then you look at Costa barbarusis another guy and as mid thirties, he comes on, you know, in unexpected circumstances, he provides a goal, So you know there's a there's a bit of this experience thing, isn't there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, that's I think that's the good balance we have between this team and I'm cost it one fantastically while coming on, especially after the heartbreaker last time and him being involved and getting sim top and things like that, I'm sure he desperately wanted to achieve something great and be a part of history and do something in the right note. And he done in both games, scoring in both games in semi final and final to put us Aside through to the World Cup. It's fantastic, So he's going to be very proud of himself.
Speaker 1: Do things like this sinking immediately, Chris, or like, do you sit here You're going to a World Cup next year? Has that sunken?
Speaker 3: I think it sings in overtime. You get snippets of it all, and I think it's going to be just continuous now until the World Cup. Got a lot to look forward to. When more teams get get qualified. You see your names with them and you're thinking, oh, could we be drawn with them? Drawn with them? And then when December comes around we find out where we're going to be based and who we're going to be playing. That's the true excitement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and regardless of who it is. I know you're on record as saying we're not just going to make up the numbers. We're not just the forty eighth team there. You want to win matches and get out of that group.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah. I believe. I believe we can. I have the belief in this team and the team's got more than enough quality and experience to be able to do something. And yeah, we want to. We want to do as well as the two unten team, but even go one better. It's not going to be easy. It's the world stage and it's just one of those we have to believe in and make sure right. That's what we've been working the last two years.
Speaker 1: That is Chris Wood, who I spoke to earlier today just before he jets out back to Nottingham. Hopefully the injury isn't too bad. Yeah, so I hit a rib. I just think he fell heavily and hopefully that's all it is, is a bit of bruising and he'll recover, ice it up and get back out there on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no point trying to push through an injury, I think in a game like that when you know you have a dominating possession and yet I mean we mentioned how good New Caledonia were, but it was always going the way of New Zealand, wasn't it. So there's no point pushing through. And I hope you know, to see him out there for Forest back soon.
Speaker 1: Back soon. Indeed, we hope so as well so for New Zealand. They punched their ticket to the Football World Cup twenty twenty six. The drawer is scheduled to be made. I haven't seen an absolute confirmation of the dates, but normally for the June tournament, it is in December, so we will find out in December where New Zealand are in terms of being being placed in a group, where they'll be based in the United States, Canada or Mexico, who they'll be playing against, all that exciting stuff. They've got games in June in Canada against Courte Deuvoirs, the Ivory Coast and Ukraine, and also a friendly locked in for November sorry October against Norway. They'll add another one to that window. Darren basically said this morning that they're going to play in all five windows. That's ten games and they should, right, They've got to have games.
Speaker 2: They absolutely have to, and you know the football firms did it as well on the lead up to their World Cup. What I would like to see though, is, I know it's kind of you know, you pick the best team to play, but it's not that not that easy. But the All Whites have typically picked higher ranked teams to play against, and I think they need to pick someone more on par with them, just so they're not having to defend an entire game in these friendlies and they can actually work on their attacking play because that's going to be crucial in about eighteen months time.
Speaker 1: Yeap, good point, Absolutely all right. We'll look to see how the All Whites go. But for now we can celebrate the fact that in the footsteps of the nineteen eighty two and twenty ten teams, they are off to the Football World Cup next year twenty twenty six in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Let's go to the A League. I'd almost forgotten what's going on in the A League. It's been this seems so long since we talked about the A League. So let's remind ourselves that Auckland f C are top of the table by four points from Western United and then another four points back to the Western Sydney Wanderers. This coming weekend Auckland f C are away at Brisbane Raw, who were the first team that Auckland FC faced all the way back in would that have been October? In their first game two nil win at home. Brisbane are a little bit down on their luck, but starting to find a bit of form Auckland f C. With with these recent draws, the two all draw against the Central Coast Mariners, the one all draw against Newcastle that you were at the four all draw against Adelaide United. I'm not saying they're stumbling and we perhaps you know, need to remember that they're still on a nine game unbeaten run. But they'd want to go to Brisbane and whin wouldn't they?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they definitely do. And you know, look going back to when they played Perth Glory in Perth and they lost in Perth Glory were down at the bottom of the table, still are, but that was a massive wake up call for them and they learned from that and they bounce back, So I don't see that happening again. However, they're obviously better at home than they are away. At the same time, I feel like they came back after the last international window quite strong. Obviously there are quite a few new Zealanders Auckland f C players in the All Whites quad the last week, but they didn't get a whole lot of minutes, so there's no reason why, you know, they can't come back fresh and respond.
Speaker 1: I think some Auckland to see a training this afternoon. I think the likes of Tommy Smith, Nando Pineker, Jesse Randall, Alex Paulson who didn't get any minutes, and even Logan Rogerson who only got on for a few minutes last night. They might give Francis the afternoon. I've given the fact he played in both games and played forty five last night. I think the rest of them back in training this afternoon. Tommy Smith said that this morning, said I going to training this afternoon. We've got a game on Sunday, so and that's the nature of it. The Phoenix boys were on the eight am flight out of Auckland to get down to Wellington. I don't know whether they'll train this afternoon. They might maybe Tim Payne won't, but some of the others probably will because they've got a game this coming weekend as well. That's the nature, isn't it. The international window you come together and then I mean, what about the guys who have to go all the way back over to Europe, you know, let alone, you know, just going down to Wellington from Auckland. Dan hallsfit, Nando Pineker is now back in contention because he was suspended last time. Tommy Smith is fit. Do you think it goes Pinaker and Hall teaming up again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it absolutely has to. We spoke about it last time. But Tommy Smith is such a closer and I've been conceding late goals Aukland nef C, which has been unlike them, So why not go back to the olden days and bring that back. Also, we'll have Louis Vastrata back, won't.
Speaker 1: We Yes, Yes, he is back as well, just the one game suspension for him. I honestly believe he comes straight back in this time. I know Steve Corriker the last time he was I think he was suspended for yellow cart accumulation. Didn't bring him straight back in, but that was off the back of a couple of wins. He's had a couple of drawers. I think Louis Vastrada needs to come back straight back into the starting side. Be very surprised if he doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the midfield's been kind of letting them down a little bit in the last few weeks and potentially an overhaul of that. So bring Vistrata and maybe someone like Cam Howison who we haven't seen a lot of. Give maybe Jake Brimmer and Gaogos a bit of a break. So it will be interesting to see what happens. Max Mutter is another one who hasn't been fit the last couple of games, so it'd be interesting to see where he is. I think there's a media opportunity later this week, so we'll see who's in who's out.
Speaker 1: We will indeed, and as far as the Wellington fotas are concerned, they play Saturday, so Aukland f C are away on Sunday evening. We'll get the exact kickoff time for you so you're not missing at seven o'clock Sunday evening New Zealand time. Auckland f C away at Brisbane Raw on Saturday at five o'clock at Sky Stadium in Wellington. It's the Phoenix welcoming the Western Sydney Wanderers who are in a very good vein of form, up to third on the table and coming in off the back of back to back four goal wins four to two over Melbourne Victory for one over Perth Glory and in fact four nil over the Central Coast Mariners, so three straight victories during which they've scored four goals. The return to Wellington of Bojidar Krajev as well, who I see played for Bulgaria during this latest window. Phoenix up against it can't make the six now but they got they got the confidence from that one all draw against Sydney FC just before the window. LB Kelly healed, I see it out for the season now, so Josh Olaway Emmy will be keeper for the rest of this season. Look, I don't think the Phoenix are favorites. I think Western Sydney Wonder is a favorites. But at home off the back of that confidence Booster rig and Sidney FC quite curious to see how they go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so it's all just about ending the season on a high, isn't it. In for Chief, he probably seeing seeing more minutes of these younger players, so real gutted for for alb And I think he's been great, a great addition to the Phoenix since getting those starting minutes. But yeah, it's going to be tough for the Phoenix. It's going to be a tough a tough run for them now to the end of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's hope we can see, you know, some of the attacking combinations that Chief he's after with Marco Rojaus she go you old as a shiga barbarusis you know a sprinkling of Luke Brooksmith and Nathan Walker in there. You know, they can really play a little bit unencumbered, can't they. They don't really have to, you know, worry about table position anymore. They're not They're not going to make the six. I think, you know, Adelaide are currently sixed on thirty three points. The Phoenix, having played the same number of games, are on twenty. You're not going to make up thirteen points in six games, especially the way the Phoenix have been tracking. So play with a little bit of freedom and throwing caution to the wind a little bit and have all we crack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the pressure is off one hundred percent, And I think that's maybe they've felt so much pressure this season, which has been quite ashamed of them. Obviously, coming off the back of last season they had an excellent run, they potentially you know, favorites coming in to qualify top six. Then they obviously had their big brother or big little brother, Auckland nef C come in as well. So I feel like they have been in a bit of a pressure cooker the Phoenix and Chief's probably felt that the younger players who have had to come in and replace the likes of Fin Sermon, Ben Old, they've probably felt that as well. So hopefully they can just play with a bit of freedom, you know, nothing to lose type attitude. It's to be nice to see them be competitive, but maybe they'll be able to do that more now, as I say, with the pressure off.
Speaker 1: Okay, So five o'clock Saturday afternoon for that one Sunday it's the Wellington Phoenix Women. So we've got all three in action across the weekend as per usual, but at quite friendly times. Now. The Wellington Phoenix Women missed a big opportunity to take a step towards the socks the top six by losing two nil to the Central Coast Mariners at home last Saturday. What that does in terms of their table position, they are still eighth on the table. They're still only two points outside the top six, but Brisbane raw I have a game in hand over them. If they were to win that game in hand, then the Phoenix would be five five points outside the top six. With only three games to go, they're kind of running out of opportunities and this weekend they welcome Melbourne City. The table top is Marie Anna Spekmayer returns to Pottydoor Park. It'll take a massive effort from Paul Temple's team to get anything out of this game, you would imagine Melbourne City nineteen games, twelve wins, seven draws, haven't lost a game yet, Bonnie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Wellington Phoenix have a really tough ask and it's going to be a matter of relying on other results, which you just can't do this late in the competition. I think missed opportunity is you said Pioneer. We spoke last week how it was going to be a must win for them against the Central Coast. They dominated or you know, had them the most share of possession, more shots on goal, and they kind of flopped. And you know, I think going for the Phoenix need to work out how they're they're just as good in the second half of the season. It's been two season in a row. This is how and it's not good enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, we've talked about it a lot, and I think we tried to be optimistic that they would that they wouldn't. But we're at the situation, in the situation now where they have fewer points now than they had the same stage last season, and they didn't qualify last season. They really have to win two of the next three games and probably get something out of the third one. So they've got Melbourne City table toppers first up. Then it's Canberra who are a point above them on the table and also pushing to make the top six, and Western United who are currently fourth and have had a pretty good season themselves. So it's going to take something pretty special from Paul Temple's team to push towards the top six. It just feels to me as though they're just going to fall ever so slightly short again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And I don't know what it is, you know, whether it is the travel for the Phoenix Women as I mentioned, you know, it is a part time team, a lot of that, most of these players are working other jobs and it's probably you know, they're probably in the hardest position traveling from Wellington over across the ditch. So I'm not sure what we can exactly put it down to. Maybe it's attitudes, but yeah, real tough ask and maybe with this Auckland team coming in next season, they'll kind of, you know, put their head down and I don't know, work a little bit harder, wanted a little bit more, because I think that's that's what it's come down to, all right.
Speaker 1: So that's the A League action to look forward to across the weekend. Wellington Phoenix Men five o'clock Saturday against Western Sydney, Wellington Phoenix Women four o'clock Sunday against Melbourne City and Auckland f Sees Men seven o'clock Sunday night against Brisbane Raw. So we'll convene next Monday, presumably Bonnie. To wrap all of that up. We might have some updates on the likes of Chris Wood and his injury and anything else to do with the Keiwi football landscape. Anything to add before we go. We covered everything off I think we have.
Speaker 2: It's another big week in New Zealand football.
Speaker 1: It is indep See you next week on This is Football, viam e