Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks, enb's voice of Football, Jason Paine and Bonnie Jensen. Hello and welcome into a fresh episode of the Football Fever podcast. We're here with FIFA Plus stream New Zealand Football live and free on FIFA plus dot com. I'm Jason Pine, Bonnie Jensen, sair too.
Speaker 2: Hello, Yo, Parney, how are you very good?
Speaker 1: Thanks? Lots to talk about, heaps to talk about, actually all sorts going on around the national teams, around the A League teams, around the game in general. Want to start with the Football Ferns. We're recording this on Thursday, and in the last few hours we've had the Football Ferns squad confirmed for Paris. Quick look through it for you. Are Vick Essen and and Elite are the goalkeepers McKenzie Barry, cj Bott, Katie Bow and Elie Green, MICHAELA. Moore, Ali Riley and Rebecca Stott. The defenders Kate Taylor will call her a midfielder Millia Stein Metz, Macy Fraser and Katie Kitching. And the attacking players Millie Cleg, Jackie Hand Grace, Jarlay, Gabby Rennie and India Page. Riley. The traveling reserves, Claudia Bunge, Mikayla Foster, Annalie Longo, and Murphy Sheef. I think we should start with the traveling reserves. I didn't expect Mickey Foster to be a traveling reserve. I expected her to be arreusted on member of this eighteen. What's gone on there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I feel the same, Piney, And you know, we've been talking all morning about the traveling reserves and they never get this much limelight. Yeah, a complete shock that both Mickey Foster and also Claudia Bunge are in there. I feel like those two have been kind of, you know, proving themselves over the last few years and almost deserving of a starting spot in this team, let alone, you know, a spot in that eighteen. So very surprising there. It's clear that obviously Michael Maine or Yetka kum Kova, whoever we made these selections, probably both of them preferred the likes of MICHAELA. Moore, McKenzie Berry, Ali Green over them, which is very interesting to me.
Speaker 1: Just on the coaching thing. So as we know, I think since we last spoke on the podcast, klem Kov stepping aside from her role as Football Fern's coach for the Paris Olympics. Michael Mayne will coach the side as he did against Japan recently. That would lead me to think that he's picked this team.
Speaker 3: Well you'd think so, but I think players were told a few weeks ago when at that time Yitku was still involved. In Listening to the audio today from the press conference, it was made up over basically since the World Cup, Michael Mayne said they had time to kind of review all things possible and assess people's performances over that period. So yeah, very interesting call. I would you know, maybe had Michael Maine had that official head coach title, would he have done things differently?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I guess he would have had to have given it the final sign off. If I'm Michael Maine, if I put myself in his position, I've been basically at the eleventh hour throwing in his head coach against Japan. As we know, he found out when he got there for those for those internationals who were they in Spain or something like that, he found out when he got there that he was going to be head coach. Then there was the investigation was concluded, and yet ka Klum Kova was cleared and was supposedly coming back as head coach of the national side, and now we find out that actually, no, that's not the case. She hasn't been sacked, she hasn't resigned. The wording of the press release was this is not the right time for her to return. Goodness only knows what that means, because nobody at New Zealand Football seems willing or able to comment on it. But back to Michael Maine. If I'm him and I'm told, okay, you're now taking this team to the Olympics, I'm saying, okay, well, I'm picking.
Speaker 3: The team just like caring all that Pioneers an absolute shambles sake. You know, it's far from ideal from an Olympic build up, and it's it's frankly embarrassing. I don't know if that's harsh to say, but the fact that we're talking about this for a national team heading to the Paris Olympics. Yes, they're not likely medalists at all, but you know, it's not a good look in terms of especially not a good loot considering we hosted a World Cup last year. You know we're meant to be ahead of the game and be professional in all aspects. Anyway, Yes, I agree Michael Maine should have the final say, and yeah, I hope for his sake that he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so maybe he has, so maybe he's OK. Let's just assume for the sake of argument that this is Michael Main's side. Okay, I still don't understand the omission of MICHAELA. Foster Claudia Bunge. I kind of get Mikayla Moore's clearly been preferred to her, but I don't think Mikayla Moore is going to play anyway. The center back pairing is Rebecca Stott and Katie Bowen. They are the first choice center back combination, and Claudia Bunge has been backing those two up for a while, hasn't she. I think she's the future because both Rebecca Stott and Katie Bowen are coming towards the end, so Claudia Bunge will clearly play a lot of games for New Zealand. The Mikayla Foster one does puzzle me, though, especially given the fact that I think Ellie Riley might be injured at the moment she.
Speaker 3: Is injured at the moment she hasn't played for Angel City in the NWSL in weeks, So, you know, you put it down to the fact that Michael Maine has taken Allie Riley purely as a leader. In her experience, She's been to the Olympics before and she is.
Speaker 2: A great leader. I'll give her that.
Speaker 3: You know, I think her time on the field is going to be limited. She's hasn't got many more years left in her at this level. But she is a good, good leader and she's got experience. I'll give her that. But in terms of you know, all coaches they want to pick their best, their fittest team, right surely MICHAELA foster. She just got named. I mean, you know, I know this is kind of a fan voted thing, but she just played for the A Legal Stars team and you know, we don't know where she's going next, but I'm pretty sure there's club's calling up for her. She's a bloody good player. Can I even say that?
Speaker 1: You can? You can? That sort of language is allowed on the Football Fever podcast. CJ Bot's the first choice right back. So if we go c J Bott, Katie Bowen, Rebecca Stott, Allie Riley fit presumably is the first choice left back. Ali is more of a right back, isn't she? For memory? So who's the backup left back of Elie Riley isn't fit?
Speaker 2: Is it? Mackenzie Barry?
Speaker 1: Could? Will we Mackenzie Barry?
Speaker 3: That's the thing, you know, Mackenzie Barrier. She had a really really good season and she can play that center back role as well, so she's versatile in that respect, But so is Mickey Foster. She can also play in the midfield, or you could put her up on the wing if you wanted. So I guess it depends what Michael Maine wants. It's still a very very interesting call, all right.
Speaker 1: The other omission from the entire squad which really raised the eyebrows was Hannah Wilkinson not included in the eighteen, not included in the traveling reserves, so basically not involved in this campaign. The hero of the went over Norway on opening night at the FIFA World Cup last year. I must say, and you and I have talked about this a lot on the podcast, this is not greatly upsetting to me. I think Hannah Wilkinson for a long time has not delivered on the promise that she has and had earlier in her career. In many ways, it's kind of a brave call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a statement move, especially if Michael Maine has done this good on them. I agree with you, Piney. I think you know, her time playing at this level is very limited and she hasn't performed. I think obviously she's done so much for the game in New Zealand. She was that goal at the World Cup. You know, regardless of how their World Cup ended, that was a special moment that we're gonna you know, that's.
Speaker 2: Gonna live with her forever. It's gonna live with all of us.
Speaker 3: But in terms of right now, in the future of this team, I don't think she's it. The only thing that does confirm concern me a little bit is who they're going to play at a number nine, because there's obviously Grace Jarley and I've been rooting for her in that position first while it has to be, but she hasn't played that well there and she hasn't had an exceptional recent A league season, So it will be interesting to see how they kind of shape that front line. Maybe they'll look at someone like Milli Cleik there, or they'll do a four four two and have two forwards. Yeah, that's gonna be interesting to see the shaup.
Speaker 1: It feels like in the first choice eleven, Jackie Hand India Page Riley are both in it in some capacity. So if we'll go four to three to three for example, Jackie Hand and India Page Riley is your wide attackers. I like the idea of Grace Jarlay and then you've got Millie Cleik and Gabby Rennie is back in the squad as well after being in good goal scoring form for her finish club. Yes, so you're right. Hannah Wilkinson has led this line for so long that now without her there it does cause a change. Annalie Longo a traveling reserve. We spoke about her in the podcast couple of weeks ago, weren't sure if she was playing, then found out that she was. I think the last game of football Annali Longo played was at the back end of the Phoenix season, or actually about two thirds of the way through when she picked up that injury. So good to see her back another bit of experience, certainly as part of the widest squad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she'll be great. She'll be like Alie Riley. You know, bringing experience.
Speaker 2: So that's great.
Speaker 1: No Daisy Cleverly, No Daisy.
Speaker 2: I'm gutted for her.
Speaker 3: Obviously she's a mate, but also I think she would have been a great option to bring without being biased, she's obviously got experience at this level, but she's still young. She can kind of play in that holding six midfielder or an eight. So yeah, another interesting call there, but maybe a bold one by Michael Main.
Speaker 1: So let's look at the eleven and what it might look like. I think we both like an elite even though the Keston is a very good goalkeeper as well. They're pretty close to one another. But let's say analyte and goal c j Bot, Katie Bowen, Rebecca Stott and Allie Riley have fit Malia Steinmetz, Macy Fraser, Katie Kitching, Jackie Hand, India Page Riley and Grace Jarlay. Is that the eleven?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I like it.
Speaker 3: Otherwise I look at you know, maybe a diamond midfield and putting India Page Riley back in you know, a deeper role and then Grace Jarlay and Jackie Hand leading the line, or maybe look at Millie Kleig as well, give her another shot she's unreal in that recent tour.
Speaker 1: Yep okay, So we look forward to seeing how they go. They've got a warm up game and then they're into it in Paris. Three really tough group games. That is going to take every ounce of talent, commitment and defensive steel to be honest, for New Zealand to find their way out of that group. Just on the men's side, we were under the understanding that was going to be named today as well. That's been delayed and we're hearing that's because certain clubs are not releasing their players. This is not an official fee for window. It is the off season for the European leagues, but we're getting towards the start of the preseason. So I guess if you start to speculate about the players who are at the top, you know, who are in the top leagues in Europe, you land on guys like Chris Wood. Marco Staminich is also at Forest now of course, although out on loan. Libby Cacaci is at Seriar Club, Matt Garbett at his Dutch club. It would be such a shame, you know, with a really good cohort of under twenty three players for some of the good ones and the overraye players to be denied or for New Zealand to be denied their services in Paris.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd be gutted if, you know, someone like or Marco missed out, especially because Marco is eligible to players as an under twenty three and you know, I kind of understand with someone like Chris Wood who is so key for his club, whereas Marco's just fresh and he's new. I guess maybe that's the reason why they don't want him, you know, popping off for a month. But yeah, I'd be gutted for Marco, especially because we kind of need him in the midfield.
Speaker 2: He's so good. So yes, it's goin to be interesting.
Speaker 1: I guess I kind of just assumed wrongly as it turned out that anyone under twenty three would just automatically be released. But that's not the case obviously. The other guys actively ds is it Fulham they're also a Premier League club. Maybe they've got different rules around around their players as well. And the other one who would have been released but now is in doubt is Tim Payne. He picked up that hamstring injury in the IFC Nations Cup, so now I'm not exactly, because I think he would have gone as one of the overage players to cover that. Yeah, but I just don't think there's another right back. I mean, the best underage right back I can think of is Matt Sheridan and he didn't even go to the Nation's Cup in Vanuatu. So I think Darren Basley was sizing up Tim Payne as one of his overage players because he covers center back as well. You know, hamstrings, you know what hamstrings alike? Yeah, you know you don't want to get onto those, you know, don't want to bring come back to early from those.
Speaker 3: So and the Phoenix were pretty strict on, you know, sending out players to to you know, national duty last year. So I don't see Chief he wanting to be, you know, mucking around with Tim Payne.
Speaker 1: Indeed, So a later date is when the men's team will be named. We look forward to when that later date is football fever with Jason Vine and Bonnie Jensen just on the OFC Nations Cup. They are whites, some very very functional, very very efficient in winning the OFC Nations Cup group matches won three nil and four nil. They won the semi final five nil and then the final against the hosts Vanuatu three nil. They expected or were expected, to dominate the tournament, even in tricky conditions they did, didn't concede a goal. They left Prett happy, wasn't they?
Speaker 2: How good was Libby?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Just over it?
Speaker 1: Just a demonstration of how far he's come.
Speaker 3: I was walking around the office when because the games are on quite good timing, and I was like, I used to go to national football camps with him. I know him, I know his family. They have a restaurant in the heart, like, you know, like he's going to be so famous soon. He's he was just so good, you know, on and off the ball. I just, you know, look at him dribble up the park and I know the easier games. And that's why I want to see him at the Olympics so badly, because you know, I have to admit I don't watch his club games the whole time. So yeah, to see more of him, you know, soon, would would be really good.
Speaker 1: I think he's almost now certain to go to the Olympics. In fact, I think he might be captain of this team well, depending on what happens with Chris Wood and whether he's released by Nottingham Forest of Woods. There Woods captain is captain of the All Whites, but Libby captain the team in Vanuatu. He's a senior player. I think Liby Kakuts you might be might be your Ollie White's captain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And a lot of those guys who are there will get aimed and Darren Baseley squad, no doubt. And I've really enjoyed watching Finn Sermon and Tyler Binden together. Yes, they weren't necessarily tested greatly, but you know, obviously, you know two guys who could play a lot of football together for New Zealand. Alex Paulson behind them and goal Sam Sutton, Lucas Kelly Healed. Others who came on, Jesse Randall, Oscar van HadAM For and Conchi. A lot of guys over there who are under twenty three who are gonna turn up in Paris.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was interesting as well.
Speaker 3: Alex Paulson what played one game two game one? Yeah, and I thought it was interesting that I thought maybe Bays would try and use him more, especially to connect with Finn and Tyler heading into the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Again, there wasn't much action down that end.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's why they didn't use him, just to kind of rest him. But I would have liked to see him more. And maybe maybe he's not the preferred number one.
Speaker 1: And I think that's it. I think at the moment he isn't I think Max Crokham is the number one number one, don't you think because he's played, He played the semi and the final, so surely yeah he is.
Speaker 3: But weren't you kind of on the bandwagon that maybe Alex Paulson is a number one?
Speaker 1: Yes? I was, Yes, I was, I was. I mean he's about to go to Bournemouth. You know Max crokem though, you have to say, until you do something wrong, you don't get dropped. You know, he rotated them. He had Paulson in the first game, didn't he and then Crocan played the second paul game and then the semi. In the final, Ollie stiled, didn't you to look at right? And he is a guy who twelve months ago we were saying, well it is our number one. Now you know, of course Alex Paulson's had the twelve months of his life so and I mean we're so well served for goalkeepers at the moment. You know, we'll get to Nick sarnever, but later on he's just got a new club. You know, there's a bunch of younger keepers coming through. The Phoenix need a new keeper, and there's been a bit of chat about a nineteen year old who's been playing in the Netherlands, which we'll get to as well. So yeah, lots of goalkeeping options. Only one player played all played all four games, in every minute of all four games, and that was Alex Rufer. I like the fact that he just turned up there and just continued as a league form.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I spoke with Alex in one of the media opportunities throughout the week and he said, you know what a year you've had, And is the goal of his the twenty twenty six World Cup. Obviously it would be for most of those guys, but he said, yeah, I want I want my jersey, I want to be in that team and I want to be in the starting leven. He was adamant. He was like, I'm going to be in that team. So good on him, and I mean, if he keeps trending the way he is, there's no doubt he'll be there again.
Speaker 1: There's some stiff competition in there. You look at guys who weren't there, Joe Bell, Marco Starminitch, Matt Garbett of course, you know, and others as well. Cam Howse and I thought had a pretty good tournament, you know, prove that he is well and truly up to international level. We're looking forward to seeing how he goes with Auckland FC. So I think, yeah, guys just did what was required. And I've heard people say, oh, yeah, but it was only it was only the Pacific nations. That's not the All Whites formed. They can only play with in front of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't wasn't an ideal tournament, But in terms of serving a it's a really good purpose heading into the Olympics. And I like the fact that the team got to kind of get together, even for the staff as well, just to get into good habits heading into like an event where they could probably get out of the group if they worked hard.
Speaker 1: YEP. I think that that will absolutely be the aim of the Oli Whites now is to get out of that group at the Olympic Games in Paris. This is football, Let's go to Auckland f C. Four new signings this week with one more to come on Tuesday. That was supposed to be made today, but as I understand that the player they're going to announce is unwell, so they've decided actually well rather than announce, and when he's not very well and can't do any media or wait. But Dan Hall, the Central Coast Mayor, and his defender Callan Elliott, formerly of the Wellington Phoenix of course, Scott Galloway, who also had time at the Phoenix but comes from Melbourne City. And Joey Champness, who's he seems like a bit of a teems like a bit of a globe, is it? A wanders around the globe, occasionally playing football, occasionally making music. He's there joining Tommy Smith, Max Martha Jesse, Randal Francis Devarice, Michael Vaut and Cam Howison, plus the six scholarship players and in this other player who haven't talked about yet who is to come in next week.
Speaker 3: They're building nicely, Pinney, the rivalry is starting now. I text you earlier in the week and I said, Auckland Nef's going to be the first expansion team to win the A League, and you said, calm down.
Speaker 1: I said, well, the Western Sydney wonders that when they came in they won it the first attempt. So but no, but you look at it and you say they've done really, really well. The caliber of players they've picked up in a good, solid A league, players or you know, players who have played internationally in good leagues around the place. Once their imports come, and Hiroki Saka, who we've talked about before in the podcast, the Japanese International about to be unveiled, we understand as the first of their imports. They're on record as saying we're going to use all five. This is going to be a good squad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: And I feel like a lot of these players, especially that the Kiwis, are players that are wanting to prove themselves. Maybe they didn't get it as much of an opportunity at the Phoenix, where this is only our second professional team.
Speaker 2: They're just coming.
Speaker 3: They want to come out and you know, have fun and play in their hometown and just you know, make a statement. So I'm really looking forward to how this team's going to end up. Yeah, as you say, they're looking really good at the moment.
Speaker 1: Of course, this came off the back of the news this week out of APL confirming that club distributions have been reduced. This is the money that the APL that runs the A leagues gives to the clubs and usually that money is used to cover the salary cap. However that distribution has been reduced to just five hundred and thirty thousand Australian dollars. That is a cut of almost one and a half million from last season and at its height it's less than three million or three million less rather than what they got six years ago when Football Australia was in charge so effectively. Because each of the A League clubs has to spend there's a there's a salary cap floor that you must reach, and then there's a salary cap obviously upper that you can't go past. But to reach the floor of the men's and women's sides, each of the club is going to have to find over two million Australian dollars just to pay their players.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a shame because I feel like that there was I mean, I'm looking on this side of the Tasmim war, but I feel like last season was a really successful season and there was some record breaking crowds and things like that. So it's a real shame it's heading this way. And you know, it panics me for the women's game as well, because they're the ones that hurt the most from these financial decisions. So yeah, I'm hoping that, you know, we keep seeing this league progressing because it seems to be a great pathway for people heading over to Europe.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I think you know, obviously from the Wellington Phoenix point of view, they showed last season what can be done with academy product coming through, so you know they'll continue to do that. You can also see why they haven't re signed Oscars of Varda because they just couldn't afford.
Speaker 3: To No, exactly, he's not worth it. As well, we've got Coster.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I wasn't going to go that far, but I quite would have quite liked for Oscars of Arda to a state. But I wonder about Boji ar Kraiev, now, you know, and the money that he would have been demanding or not demanding, but you know what he would have been after after a really good season. And I wonder whether, you know, with this this much much lower distribution from apl whether whether the Phoenix might reluctantly say you know what, Beka, we can't afford to meet your salary requirements, so we're going to have to say goodbye.
Speaker 3: Well hopefully it's a case of that. Other A League teams as well aren't going to be spending big bucks. You know, they'll have more than the Phoenix do, but you know we wouldn't lose them to those rival clubs. That would be the ideal.
Speaker 1: So just to just to clarify that she the owners, if they want to, can spend up to the salary cap. It's just that not all owners will feel the feel the design to do that. I think Bill Foley will at Auckland. I don't think there's any issue there, but some of the others who have been losing money year after year after year, including those at Wellington Phoenix, might be very reluctant to just pour more money into what has become a bit of a bottomless pit. And he's so prize money. The money you get is from ticket sales and sponsorship and stuff like that. So I just wonder whether they'll, yeah, just they just have to cut their cloth to suit.
Speaker 3: Really, Yeah, you just got to hope that the Phoenix are going to write off their momentum from from last season and keep the crowds going. And I hope Wellington Wellingtonians.
Speaker 2: Get up for it.
Speaker 3: I feel like people will in Auckland. I just have, you know, a good vibe that they're going to be selling out and we know, yeah, surely Bill Foley isn't too worried about money at this point.
Speaker 1: Now, I think you're right, and I hope they do. That's what you want. And again, I just can't wait for the first derby, which is likely to be in Auckland, isn't it. I imagine that's the way they'd structure the draw.
Speaker 3: So I think I think it's planned for Wellington really. I think last I heard Wellington had you know, you know, they because they're the existing team, they get to host it first.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see. They'll obviously play each other at least twice, and I would say three times a twenty six game season. Again, I think, although no, actually no, that'll just be just be home and away, won't it with the with the thirteen teams now, So yeah, we'll wait and see anyway, but those derbies will be terrific. The women, the Wellington Phoenix woman Maddy unaspect, Mayra's gone to Melbourne City. What do you make of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, real shame.
Speaker 3: I wonder if they're going to be you know, as a bit of a trade for Hannah Wilkinson.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so, surely not.
Speaker 1: Well, oh Hannah's looking for a club, yeah.
Speaker 3: And she's just left Melbourne City. But yeah, it's a real shame. Maddy unaspect, mar it was so good, so good for this club. I think it was the boost that that woman's team needed this season. She has such a good finisher, you know, the fans loved her. So real shame to see her go. But yeah, I guess, you know, a good season she was worth a bit more.
Speaker 1: I think that's the third time in three seasons the Phoenix have lost their top goalscorer at the end of it. Grace Jarla, Millie Clegg and now Muddy n to speak my but you know, it is what it is, and football's like this, isn't it that players come, players go. Emma Main has resigned. I think she had a good season last year, didn't she. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, if you remember back Prionly when we did our season awards, I think we both said that Emma Main was one that we didn't want the Phoenix to lose, and so I'm really glad she's sticking around because I think she's got a lot more to offer this team.
Speaker 1: Indeed, we wait for more signing news. I'm not sure if you noticed this and the Football Ferns release where they you know, they tell you the players club and Annalie Longo had Wellington Phoenix alongside their soda McKenzie Barry obviously, but Mickey Foster is still unattached. Did you say that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's been unattached for a while. She's still not obviously resigned, and I believe if they're not in contract, it says unattached because I hit up the Wellington Phoenix your manager and have it last time. So I think she's She surely would have had a lot of offers. As I mentioned before, she's playing at Auckland United, just local club league in Auckland at the moment. But yeah, i'd say she'll be I feel like she might' head over to Aussie but I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you who the Phoenix should go after to replace money and I speak my as Grace Charlay. Yes, she's unattached now she's left Perth Gloria, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she didn't have a great season at Perth, so yeah she might come back.
Speaker 1: Who would you choose out of Grace Jarlie and Hannah Wilkinson.
Speaker 2: Christ Charlie obviously, so with Michael Maine.
Speaker 1: Clearly exactly right, exactly right. So yeah, maybe there's some phone calls happening between Paul Temple and the representatives of Grace Charlie to get her back to Wellington Phoenix football fever. Just finally a couple of our key he's overseas if that one Twitter rumor I picked up on a goalkeeper by the name of Dublin Boone. What a great name from Dutch Side Road to JC. He moved to Rhode a lot last year coming through. He came through the ranks at christ Church Club. Nomad's made three appearances off the bench for Rhoda. But the rumor is that Dublin Boone. I'm going to enjoy saying that in commentary a nineteen year old as signed for Wellington Phoenix. I must admit I'd never heard of him.
Speaker 2: No, never heard of him as well? Are they keeping Jack Duncan?
Speaker 1: I don't know whether they will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that you know, I was excited. I'd heard so many good things about him, that he was such a great guy, and I think that's all true, you know, And I was excited for him to get a shot. He'd never got one shot because Alex Porson was just too good. But who knows. He may have been better than Alex. I mean not that that's you know, I feel like you can't get much better than Alex, but you know, maybe he would have been.
Speaker 2: So I was excited to see him playing. I hope he does stick around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know he's not definitely resigned and not definitely released, but yeah, Lbie Kelly healed as the goalkeeper they do have on their books, twin brother of Lucas, but very raw. But then so was Alex Paulson. So yeah, if they can get to Dublin Boone and LB Kelly hilt. I mean, as we said before, clubs have to cut their cloth to suit now, and this league for two or three seasons might just become not a development league necessarily, but one where young players are given chances. A couple of kiwis around the world. We need to mention Nick Shone I mentioned him before. He's got a new club, Northampton Town mid table League One side, so good to see Nixon f pick up a new deal. Norman Garbett, who was the brother of Matt Garbett and a star of the recent Under twenty World Cup. He scored that goal. I can't remember who it was against, but he's definitely scored a goal. Norman Garbett. He's joined Irish Premier League side dun Dork FC until the end of the season. Logan Rocheson got a couple of goals for f C Noah in Armenia in their latest friendly and a pinnicker back on the grass. He's been out since early April. Good to see him back with slogo Rovers also in Ireland as he continues his recovery. Bonnie, I think that's it for Football Fever. It is so busy at the moment with all sorts of things happening, So I guess we'll reconvene in a week or so when we should have a men's side for the Olympics and maybe some more signings or resignings for our A league side. Any final words for the Football Fever audience today.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I guess you know.
Speaker 3: Heading into the Paris Games, the big news of the week was Alex Morgan being dropped off the US woman's national team roster. She's been such an icon of the game and it was really sad to not see her name because I'm obviously a bit of a fangirl. But you're probably a fan too, surely, Piney.
Speaker 1: Well, I met her before the World Cup last year, and like everybody on the road, no, no, but no, I just well, I mean, obviously she's what a player. Yeah, I wouldn't say I was star struck by her necessarily, but I was really impressed by her. Is it true that you got up at two in the morning to listen to the announcement of that team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got up and just send an alarm and popped on to Instagram to see the squad and assess it honestly, Parney, like, I really loved that team. I could probably talk to you more about the team than I got the football fans, which is a bit of a concern. But anyway, Yes, Alex Morgan left off a bit of a shame for the fans in Paris. But that team's looking good, so watch out for the US.
Speaker 1: They've got their new coach in Chelsea.
Speaker 2: She's so good. Yeah, that's the other thing.
Speaker 3: I'm excited for that team because she's such a character and she's the Imma Hayes era, kind of like what we've got in the All Blacks at the moment with the Scott Robertson era. Anyway, I'm getting off track.
Speaker 1: No, not at all, Not at all. It's a football podcast. We can talk any kind of football you like. Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing Would they be favorite for the Olympics.
Speaker 2: No, I think Spain still are. They're just so good.
Speaker 3: And what's really exciting Piney is Emma Hayes obviously coached Chelsea for years but was never able to beat Barcelona in the Champions League, and Barcelona are made up of so many of that Spanish winning World Cup teams. So she said, you know, now that i'm you know, coaching the US, that's my one goal is to beat the Spanish. So I'm looking forward to that match up. Hopefully they line up on the road to the final.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, well, the Olympics are going to be yeah, going to be great. We're going to enjoy watching the New Zealand sides while they're still in and then we can just jump across and all become United States fans, boys and girls, and watch them if they to see if they can imagine the final United States Spain Final. Good would that be?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: That is football Fever for another week. We're back. I guess when the team is named next week. I don't that we have to stick necessarily to a particular day of the week, but when the men's Ollie White Side is named, will do another podcast and break all that down for you. So we'll see you then the FFV with Pinny and Bonny