Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from news Talks EDB. Follow this and our wide range of podcast now on iHeartRadio. Inside the Game from every angle. It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith powered.
Speaker 2: By News Talks EDB.
Speaker 3: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by Access Solutions, elevating you and your business to a higher level. After a few weeks, we've hit the lights back on in the Rugby Direct Auckland studio and we are back again. Elligott Smith with me Liam napier As was to review the weekend that was in Rugby and Liam, great to have your company once again. I should flag this to the top of the podcast. The handover has happened, but.
Speaker 2: Special was very touching, very moving and it was only fitting rarely after we spent a week in the Capitol and it really won you over that we finally you finally made good on the bet and you are now willing to line supporter and I for one welcome you to the fan and look forward to celebrating this year's title with them.
Speaker 3: Well on the back of what we saw on the weekends being absolutely pumped by Counties Monaco that shirt. Very grateful I am for Wellington Rugby donating it and sending it up is going to depreciate seriously in Valley on the back of that lost to Counties.
Speaker 2: Well look, let's just say Canterbury had their worst loss in history.
Speaker 4: So it's a good time vie to jump ship.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, let's go the Tasman Marco. Right, let's get into the weekend that was. You can catch a video by the way, Liam's going to put up on his social media if it's not the already but later on ons the podcast is out. But let's get into the weekend that was the All Blacks thirty three, the Wallaby's at thirteen in the Capitol final game of the Rugby Championship, second game out of the Bledderslow Cup series, and the All Blacks were I don't know how you to describe it, Liam, but I'd say dominant without being clinical and left a fair few points out there. But it was certainly I thought an improvement on the week prior from the All Blacks. A couple of things extinguished, the Capital Curse, the last twenty minute fades, all those things sort of out but still left about out there on the park. What did you make of it?
Speaker 4: They did?
Speaker 2: Yes, look it was a step forward for the ou Blecks and it needed to be particularly just given the opposition. Right, let's be real about where the Wallerbries are at tenth in the world. You gave him a good uppercut last week and said that they were the in your type five column the Westerndies of world rugby, so I'm not sure if they put that on their changing room walls. Possibly may have inspired this start, actually because they started really well.
Speaker 3: Started love the West Indies started strongly. Chris gailisk came out of the blocks herely then had nothing to back it up.
Speaker 2: That's right, swung for the fences and did really bring a fearless attitude and should have been up fourteen. Nils had the Oblacks on the rack to a degree, some nice Joshits specials scrum moves and we've seen that over the last two weeks, but couldn't maintain it.
Speaker 4: They don't have the depth.
Speaker 2: They had some prolonged periods on the All Blacks line in the second half, but they conceded twenty one unanswered points and the All Blacks were vastly improved in the second half. They got a bit more pay from their bench to mite Williams was excellent, Patrick Tupolotu and look, I don't know if I'd go as far as say the final quarters fades have been banished, but certainly the capital curse has and it was a positive step for the All Blacks and what was a patchy Rugby Championship campaign.
Speaker 3: It was similar the last week in periods where I felt the dam was about to break off the Wallabies and the All Blacks just couldn't quite get there. The cross for tries. It felt early in the second spell that if they had scored one they might have been able to score one, two, three pretty quickly. As it was, they got scored one when able to back it up. There were little eras in the twenty two. There was a t J. Pett and Ara knock on from the quick tap which very much felt like lived by the sword, Die by the sword sort of stuff from the All Blacks. You're right, the last twenty could still have been better from the All Blacks. They finally got some points in the last twenty, but I thought more so than the perhaps the attack, the defensive shift from the All Blacks is probably the most pleasing considered that try early could have gone fourteen kneel down. But for a ball being placed in the end goal when it was kicked through bone Barratt mister it Jake Gorden could have got there and then the end of the while he could have got a consolation try at the end, and I think the try wouldn't have mattered. But it was quite pleasing to see the All Blacks put in a shift on their line didn't break. I think there's a lot to be learned from that, and the defensive system seems to be holding up relatively well better than it did the previous week any when they were cut to shreds a little bit, especially when they were down to thirteen.
Speaker 2: The All Blacks defense this year's on the whole been pretty good and they're actually bringing some really aggressive defense and looking to play and that Bill Blacks for me, have looked at their best from an unstructured play and that was again evident in Wellington. They scored from turnovers, they scored from broken play, whether it's Sevarice coming off as wing or Boden Barrett ghosting across field, Wallace a TSI in the midfields roaming off floating, so putting pressure on with your defense and getting turnover possession. That's when the All Blacks thrive. But on their line this was a real standard bearing second half wasn't As Scott Barrett talked to that in the postmatch press, Currents talked about the fact that that needed to be the standard that they carry north because they are going to be under massive pressure at times against Ireland, England France and they are going to need to remain composed and their discipline still remains a bit of an issue. I think they considered the first six penalties against the Wallabies. There's another late yellow card maybe a bit harsh for Caleb Clark, but they think that's six in the past four tests. So discipline is still an area they need to improve. But that defense on their own line was a big step forward.
Speaker 3: It was I thought Nicko Mischa Kelly actually had a pretty good game with the referee. He was consistent. He was slightly pedantic, but at least he was consistent. One of that quick release ball very very much and we saw a lot of early penalties basically hit the floor and he'd blow it up, you know. He was onto that pretty quickly. So it took while for the All Blacks to adjust to what he wanted to see. I think they got that by the second spell. Discipline was a lot better after halftime. Yellow cart aside, what the All Blacks did well as well. With the tackle count it was roughly one hundred versus fifty. The All Blacks had to make one hundred and the first spell Wallaby's just fifty. By full time it was relatively even around one hundred and seventy each and so the Warbies had to make about one hundred and twenty second half tackles and the All Blacks had to make a roughly seventy themselves, So they forced the Warbies into a bit more defensive pressure in the second spell. Able to build periods pressure under for periods of time, and I think it's been an issue with the All Blacks is building pressure that've scored tryers, breakout tries, but pressure in the twenty two has not been something been able to do often enough this year like teams have been able to do to them building pressure in the twenty two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't perfect.
Speaker 2: There were still some a lot of frustrating moments handling eras there was a number of offloads that were dropped and the TJ. Pedrian are a quick tap from a penalty, you know a little instances that are still not quite clicking. But the last quarter, the finish was vastly improved, wasn't it. Bill Blacks had one try denied for Cody Taylor bobble at the ruck, but then they scored in that last quarter and they did apply a lot of pressure to the Wallabies in that periods. So it was a massive steps forward from the previous week in Sydney when they collapsed, and from blowing leads against South Africa in South Africa, the Pumas and Wellington previously. And thank god that the Capitol curse has been broken because that's been absolutely bizarre, hudo, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It has been very very odd, no rhyme or reason to it, you know, draws, losses, It's been very odd. But fortunately that's banished until we get to next year when you can bring out the stat the All Blacks have won only two of their last what is eight at sky Stadium, so did but maybe not exactly buried. A couple other things from the game, Sam Kine, tjped Andara Milestone game, so them Sam Kain's one hundredth TJ Pedanara final game on home soil. I think it was an eighty eighth test. On the weekends. We were in the media conference room when the Wallabies were giving their post match media conference and it's right next to where the All Blacks changing rooms were for that night, and the Wolves were absolutely shaking with a pretty fiery hucker which we later found out was from the All Blacks towards samkin led by t J Petanara. Look a special occasion for both of those players to sign off their careers in New Zealand. We saw the guard of honor for Sam Kain. Look special night for both of them. We're going to get into whether they should go on the Endigate tour but later on. But you know, there's only few teen all back centurions and now Sam Kane is one of them.
Speaker 2: He is and there's probably been none other that's gone through such adversity to get there. I didn't think either of them, you know, had the greatest games, to be honest. I thought Sam missed a couple of pretty obvious tackles in the first half and TJ was a bit you know, erratic at times. But it is a big occasion and It is a really a nice way for those guys to finish with a victory with standing ovations when when they left the field. The Postmas presentation was very emotional for Sam Kane, Boden Barrett presenting his cap and as you mentioned, the inner sanctum hucker so got. He's a guy who has been through a broken neck. He fronted through the lows of m Foster era and the red card in the World Cup Final and you know, fully deserving of such a milestone, isn't he.
Speaker 4: And interesting to see where things go now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd say about Sam Kain is that he's coming for plenty of criticism, but he has always fronted up post match after the World Cup Final. I mean, there was the criticism of the Chiefs last year which has been explained away, but by and large, Sam Kaine has fronted up when things have not been going well on the All Blacks jersey, which has been a semi regular occurrence in recent years. He's been one of the public faces of that team and he's always fronted to media and answered some questions. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another thing I like about Cain is that if you think about All Blacks captains in recent times, they're very good at saying nothing and actually doing that on purpose to a degree. I know the All Blacks Captains run is set with a stopwatch, but Cain, no matter what the circumstances were, you always felt like he listened to the question and did his best to genuinely answer it.
Speaker 4: And that was through some very dark times.
Speaker 2: And from our side of the fence, I always respected that.
Speaker 3: Right, Let's move on to some awards for the Rugby Championship that we've carved out.
Speaker 4: Drum roll.
Speaker 3: The best All Blacks performer of the Rugby Championship.
Speaker 2: Look, it's hard to go past the final of the year, isn't it. Wallace a Titi playing in outer position largely. He's not accustomed to blindside flanker and he will be, in my view, the All Blacks long term number eight. I think we will see a shift at some point there. But for a young guy to come in and we've seen this with others in South Africa, but thrusting to start because of injury and he hasn't been perfect, missed the odd tackle here and there, but his relentless ball carrying, his range of skill at quick feed, at the line offloading line out ability, you know, line out steels at the weekends, his confidence to demand the ball.
Speaker 4: He's been exceptional. There's been others.
Speaker 2: Caleb Clark I think is really impressed so yellow cards aside Will Jordan's I think claimed that the fullback position for now, of course is Ram has been good, but Wallace a tt absolute standout.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go with two pou Vi for the best all blacks performing the Rugby Championship. I think back to the start of the Rugby Championship, Scott Barrett was injured, Patrick two pilot was injured. Two po five thrust into being a starting lock, and not only that, but he was calling the line outs for both of those Asian Tina games. I thought he grew immensely through that period of time. Started he started the last six seven tests in a row. Now every test in the Rugby Championship and his come into his own and looks like he might have nailed on that other lock spot starting at least for the moment beside Scott Barrett. When at the start of the year Patrick twy PILOTU appeared set for that. Patrick twop a loto gets injured, Two po Vi comes in. He's doing outstanding job I think in the second row carrying very hard across the park as well grade line out option.
Speaker 2: I'm giving it to two per h totally agree. The other one for me is to Mighty Williams. I think he would two starts in South Africa when Ethan the group was injured. For me, he has surpassed the group and that might be a wee bit unfair because the group's coming back from injury, maybe still finding his feet. But Tomighty just offers so much more around the field and he proved him himself from a scrummaging perspective, but ball carrying, defensively, mobility, he offers a lot more. But it is an interesting dynamic that because then the group's not really a prospect you bring off the bench to Mighty does that role very well, so it's interesting to see where that goes.
Speaker 3: All right, So the biggest upset in the Rugby Championship Plumas and Wellington.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't think anyone really rarely saw that coming and it probably speaks to then shift that we need to have with the Pumas about where they are at. You know, they beat the Springboks in South Africa, they should have beaten the Wallabies twice. They handed them their worst defeat in history and that second match, I think they are rarely starting to build something under Felipe Contapomei. I still don't think they'll should be losing to them at home, but they demanded a lot more respect, So for me, that was a shock result.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Biggest uposite for me would probably be Australia beating Argentina. Yeah no, actually it would be Argentina beating South Africa. Yes, they rested a couple of players, but it was a very good performance from Argentina. Unfortunately couldn't back it up in the Rugby Championship decider on the weekend in South Africa. But they are clearly growing. I like what Felippe Kontopomi's doing with that team, and you know that maybell build ahead of the twenty twenty seven Rugby World Cup. Worst moment out of the Rugby Championship look best moment for me. I've got to give it to you. The way that South Africa played, You've got to give just as an overall picture coming out of World Cup is always tricky, but I think they improved on what they put on the Paddock last year. So for me, if I had to narrow it down to a specific moment, probably the South African comeback and at Alice Park that showed grit, that showed termination. Didn't like it as a New Zealander. But credit to South Africa because the Rugby Championship changes big time on the basis that last ten minutes in that Test match and all of a sudden South afri could go through and whin the Rugby Championship. If they don't, they slipped to a loss to the All Blacks. Very very changeable sort of tournament from that point onwards. So best moment goes to South Africa. Worst moment don't really have one. Probably if I had to look holistically, probably that Australian collapse in La Plaza from just a sense of what a hell is Australian rugby doing.
Speaker 2: My best moment is the Park Test, as you'd a test, just a magic occasion. Obviously watching from a farm myself this time, but I think there's something special about that ground that evokes just brilliant test matches every time, the vibe, the history of the legacy, everything that comes with it. The All Blacks up by ten points and then they couldn't hold on. Just a brilliant adversement for world rugby and the worst moments. I'm going to go with a half full Caketon for the All Blacks against the Pumas. That's a really bad look for the All Blacks for Wellington. I'm not sure we've touched on different reasoning for that, whether the Puma's are on a lure where there's a bit of apathy there. But last weekend it was sold out for the Wallabies.
Speaker 3: It was and it was a great atmosphere, amazing waterfront on the weekend. Part of me thinks that there might have been some sort of joint family trips where some members of the family went off to the rugby on the Saturday night and some members went to the World of Wearable Arts and made a weekend out of it with the family, and that contributed to a real sense of occasion around Wellington that things are actually happening in the city. A lot of All Blacks, Wallaby's jerseys around and families around on the weekend. It was a real sense of occasion for a Test match, which you don't often find, maybe outside of Dunedin, Hamilton and New Zealand. Some of the biggest cities. You just don't get that, but you did on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yes, Sam Caine, noting it was the best he'd seen Wellington and he played a number of test matches there and it was really heartening to see locals come up and see you and say, oh, are you in the world of wearable arts? Because it's really admiring your outfits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was that Wellington Lines Jersey. You gave me right beat to Itale, What have you got for us live? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gone back and forth on this one, but I'm going to go with your disgust when I gave you a wee bloody Mary and the it was nice to you to take me on one of the clubs. I don't have a corded lounge membership, so Elliott took me along graciously and I've got him a blame Mary. After a couple of spruce and martinis with Oli Ritchie and the disgust on your face, Sally, I don't think I'll ever forget that, so I had to drink it myself.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, tomato is for saucers, not for juice, and every time Lingam Napier gets one of them. It disgusts me quite.
Speaker 4: Frankly, still looking for a sponsorship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you can go and do your own podcast if you're going to do that. bestI Itali. Actually that might be my best one as well, because I just didn't have to drink tomato juice. It was a great couple of weeks though in Sydney and Wellington enjoyed we spot of at.
Speaker 4: Cujie Shout out to the Cujie Pavilion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a good good wie spot. All right, serious matters grade the Rugby Championship for the All Blacks.
Speaker 2: I've gone back and forth on this one, as you know earlier. I'm a very harsh marker. I'm gonna go with a C plus, which I feel is quite generous, and that's on the back of what happened at the weekend. I think we've seen enough from this All Black team to suggest.
Speaker 4: That they're there, that they are close ish.
Speaker 2: But if you step back three and three, you lose the Rugby Championship title for the first time since twenty nineteen. You lose the Freedom Cup for the first time I think it was in fifteen years. You know, there's pittures going around the Springboks fully deserving, but they're on their team bus, look like they're having rum and coke, maybe some clippies branding drinking out of the Rugby Championship title, you know those a lot of those players have. That's the first time they've they've won that title. So I think you could say on balance it was a failure that the Rugby Championship from an All Black perspective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you could rugby Championship when we ran in a couple of years. It's going to be dismandled. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: And look two years ago the All Blacks went one on one in South Africa. So I think the Springbok team is better. But I think I think we are right to demand excellence from this All Black team, as they do from themselves. We're right to demand more and it was it was just too inconsistent highs and lows, collapses, second half fades, discipline issues, So that gray would have been a lot worse had it not been for the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was asked by Brian Kelly a similar question and I gave six out of ten six and a half out of ten for them in terms of a numerical number for the Rugby Championship. Promising signs, but a lot of improvement required.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a very very tough Northern tour. And so what the All Blacks are? Six wins, three losses. So it's very delicately poised, isn't it?
Speaker 3: It is indeed right, let's take a break. We'll come back with some of the key points around that Northern touring selections after this year on Rugby Directs.
Speaker 1: This is Rugby Direct, a podcast for real rugby fans.
Speaker 3: Every try, try ten sixty sec, every tackle to tackle.
Speaker 2: Get up again.
Speaker 4: We take him before I'm not. It's Rugby Direct.
Speaker 3: Lad, welcome back into Rugby Direct. Power by Excess Solutions elevating you and your business to a high level Final four time. Liam sam Kine, t J Purnara Should they go on the end of year to a yes or no.
Speaker 2: I'm on the fence about sam Kine, but TJ Piternara I would say no. Cam Royguard is making his comeback with County's. Monaco has missed all this year through a torn patella. But and so there's a there's an element of needing to protect him. A Weber and not throw him and too soon. But he is an exceptional prospect and my top three half backs in New Zealand are Courts.
Speaker 4: Rogard and Noah Hotham.
Speaker 2: So I would have TJ Petenarra with the All Blacks fifteen and with Sam Kin. I don't mind him being in the squad, but I want to see the All Blacks evolve and so I think you could justify having his leadership presence there. But I think it's time to move on from him being a starter. And I think we've seen while the game's up North will be different. I think we saw the Wallabies target him at times in open field. He's a great defender in the close quarters, but he can be exposed in open field and I think we saw that from the Wallabies. So I want to see I want to see Ardie go to seven. I want to see Wallace at eight. I don't know why we're waiting to do that. I think Kine could potentially be on the bench, but I want to see some evolution there well.
Speaker 3: As we discussed last week, I think you've got to view each test and isolation and snowpoint looking twenty five and beyond now because you're playing in twenty twenty four and sam Kin for me, yes, didn't have a great game at the weekend, but I think we're only a year or move from probably the best game of his Test career against Island in the quarter final. If he can put out performances like that again in the closing stages of Test one hundred and one, two, three, four, whatever of his Test career, I think they're important to have in the All Blacks, and then next year you look for that open side thinker.
Speaker 2: If you're looking at the composition of the bench, I think there's an argument to potentially have Cain in the mix on the bench. If you're looking at those closing quarters experience, the makeup of it, he could be a pretty valuable guy to have there. I just really want to see Ardie and Wallace in that dynamic. I know it doesn't really matter, you know the in Scott Robertson certainly pushing the fact that Luis Ford trio at least loose for is a versatile numbers don't matter, but while it's off the back of the scrum could be very, very damaging. And I think Artie is almost playing like a seven now anyway, So I want to see that, but I do think Sam has a role to play. The question then, is if you do to take Sam Kame, what to do Peter Luckeye and the remainder of the loose forwards. Because the A's taking thirty six they had thirty six in the Rugby Championship squad, there's no room to move there. So I'll ask you what do you do with Peter Luckeye and do all the All Blacks loose forwards that we're in the Rugby Championship go north?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's going to be some horse trading between these two squads. And Scott Robertson mentioned as much as that there's probably some players that play the Test match or go to Japan that won't be with the All Blacks when they go to London. They'll be instead going to Munster and then playing and playing against Georgia. So it won't be sixty five names. It'll probably be closer to fifty five to sixty. There'll be a few that cross over. Having said that I would select Peter Luckeye and the All Black squad as a player that the only thing I'll say about Peter Luye is that I think in some of his recent NPC games he's looking a little tired. He's had a big workload this year. And whether he's capable of playing Test rugby this year or not, I'm not entirely sure, but I think he needs to be around that All Blacks because he seems like a real player of the future. So I would take Peter Luckeye. I think Sama Penni feen Now might be the unlucky player when you look at will the tt you know Sanma Penie feen Now has been there who could have started up blowing soe Flanka there didn't Ethan Blackadder is presumably the next blind Side Flanca, so that leaves Santa Pennie feen Now. You know it's the third tier blind Side instead. I think you bring him out and put Luckeye in and Fena goes with the All Blacks fifteen to get some game time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's that's I'd agree with that because the other guy that's really slipped out of favor is Dalton Papalin, hasn't he he He was the heir apparent to Sam Kine for three years. He started this year as Scott Robertson's first choice open side. Then he had a thumb injury and South Africa Sam Kine started and he hasn't been so since, not even on the bench. Luke Jacobson has fulfilled that bench role. So it's if you're bringing Luck, I know, and I agree I would have him there. I think, get him and now he's twenty one year old, likes the tit is the future of the All Blacks, loose forwards. Get him and now he can play against Italy, you know, potentially against Japan might be a bit early. He can bounce between the All Blacks and the All Blacks fifteen. But get him and get him involved and either Summer Pennie or perhaps Dalton rebuild that confidence, get some game time. But I agree with you, I think Summer Pennie could be you know, go with CLAYT.
Speaker 4: McMillan.
Speaker 2: It's his chiefs coach. Good relationship there, that would make sense.
Speaker 3: A couple of other things that have just come up from that tour squad we didn't know. We don't know, but I wonder whether the All Blacks were name an apprentice apprentice players like they have previously in the past, and if there is any apprentice players I would look at selecting Fabian Horned not until next year's End of View tour, but if you are able to bring him along for the five test matches that have come get him in the All Blacks environment. He looks like a player that is certainly capable of playing All Black s rugby when he is eligible at the end of twenty twenty five. I would take him as an apprentice player on this end of View tour.
Speaker 4: Well, can he play for the All Blacks fifteen?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think it's a capture team, so maybe he could play for that. It's not a captured team in Timson national eligibility, so in theory maybe you could play for them as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that would be make a lot of sense and you could potentially bring him in for a few days, groom him, get him into that environment, because he, like Lackeye, is the future.
Speaker 4: There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: He's got the size, he's got the attitude, and he's only going to get better. So he's bolted on for sure.
Speaker 3: Any other players in the NPC that have stood up that maybe will get in the All Blacks fifteen, but not necessarily that All Black squad.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go through the squad here. Because you've got guys like Stephen Peter Fetzer. He will make a return. I think off the bench with Taranaki and the round fish shield challenge against Tasman. That's assuming Tasman defended against Auckland. Correct that that game is on Sunday. So the pressure points here are Stephen Peterfetter or Harry Plummer Petifetter agreed at Locke, Sam Darry or Josh Lord or Dary has to be For me, I think Josh Lord has to play all Works fifty. We barely played rugby. Josh Lord.
Speaker 3: Darry has been the option that was used when three Perot two was injured. So for me, Josh Lola plays all Nex fifteen.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, well, I think test rugby ready now in terms of size and physicality, I think Josh Lord. But whether yeah he's had enough game time this year probably not. So I think that's a very fifty to fifty call. And those are the main pressure that we talked about. The loose forwards, I think whether you take six or seven props, and then in the side backs, I really want to see ammaning nar Hour back in the squad. But I don't know whether they would look to bring him back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think he'll probably should be in the mix. He's played a very good NPC. I'd like to see Josh Jakn going that All Blacks fifteen tour. For me, he seems like a play with game time that could be a real potential All Black starter at ten down the track, and you only learned that by playing quality opponents. I would like to see Josh Jacon get a go. And that's All Blacks MACS topic number two leading on from the tens. Has Boden Barrett done enough to retain the All Blacks ten dusy for the big games on the end of year tour? From what you saw on Saturday night.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say, yes, it wasn't a spectacular performance from Bone, but he didn't need to be. And look there was his first test at number ten and two years and what he did he did largely very well. I think he mistouched for one penalty, which Dylan Peach did really well to keep that in. He missed won penalty, so I think he kicked four from five. He had a hand in two of the All Blacks first three first half tries. It brought a sense of calm I think for the All Blacks. And also I thought Damien McKenzie was good off the bench allow freed him up to play his natural game, to flit around. He set up Caleb Clark for his second try. So I thought that dynamic worked really well. But it is a very delicate situation for Scott. Robertson invested heavily and Damien McKenzie through the first eight tests of this year. Then he gave Boden one starts. But I don't think it was a coincidence that there was a bit more calm at the back end of that match.
Speaker 3: It felt a lot more structured the All Blacks attack, I thought, And for me, I think he starts against England. I think he's certainly capable of driving that team around the park. It just felt as though there was a lot more a to b and that game plan of what Bonon Baritt was dry, whereas Damian McKenzie can be a little bit scartery and game management still work on for him, and I felt there was more of that from Boden.
Speaker 2: The one thing I'd say is I wouldn't I think the All Blacks will make subtle tweaks between England's, Ireland and France. I think there's fifteen days or something between those three tests, so you're not going to be able to roll out the same starting fifteen. They are going to try and put out their best team obviously to win those matches, but players will be very fatigued across that stretch, so there will be the old subtle tweaks and I wouldn't be surprised to see maybe Bowden start two.
Speaker 3: McKenzie one Media will be as well, and Writers goes out top number three. The ANZAC Test, which is now gaining one momentum. I see that Mark Robinson has said that they're provisionally on board with this idea and some quotes with the Sydney Morning Herald is to play an Anzac Day Test in twenty twenty six onwards, incorporating a super round around it. As part of a super rounds. You might have super rugby going on that whole weekend and a Test match is part of it. And sounds like that we potentially three tests against the Strataga once again for a blitter's low. Now this is seemingly to plicate them with the rugby's greatest rivalry to it poised to be announced from twenty twenty six, between the All Blacks and South Africa. Liam Good idea about idea.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a as you say, it's a trade off, that's what it is. It's a dangling of the carra It's a business negotiation to keep Ossie on side and so New Zealand had to throw them a bone. And that's what the Sanzac Test is. The issue is you are shitting all over Super rugby again because it's not just one week. Let's just say it plays out like this that the Inzact Test takes place around Anzac Day. It's the middle, it's basically the middle of the Super rugby and it's not just going to that competition because you take all the Wallabies and All Blacks out, it's not just one week. It'll be you know, there'll be wider ramifications, it might be injuries. You're looking at potential two week window. It will affect that competition. And this is a time when Super rugby's already a state of flux, going back to eleven teams. You've got two draws, two buyers this year, starting earlier, it's going longer. You know, so there's already frustrations around it. It's not if you talk to Super Rugby coaches they don't want the SANSC Test.
Speaker 3: Well, there are ways you can get around it by not getting around it necessarily, but you could have a whole competition by in the week before it, and so there are no games, you're not missing the Super Rugby players.
Speaker 4: But then it does.
Speaker 2: Hold the momentum of Super Rugby though, then you're going, then, how does it affect the July window, like there's already a very well, yeah, but they've got they got the Nation's Championship coming in as well next year. They've got two buyers per team and starting in on Valentine's Day for Super Rugby. So there are ways I think you can change things around with the draw and give teams a break. I'm not sure I get why they're doing it. I'm sure there's a lot of cash involve that, whether it's the Western Australian government or whoever is going to help out and sort of line the coffers a little bit. I'm not sold on the idea necessarily. I don't need I don't think we need a third Test against Australia they haven't proven that they're worthy of a third test against the All Blacks, so for me, the jury is still out on this idea. What it will do, though, is help Rugby Australia in their broadcast negotiations because they can go to Channel nine and stand and whoever else is in the mix and go, look, we've got a third bled Aslow Cup Test and it's going to be around a super Round and that'll probably increase the amount of money they can.
Speaker 4: Get, oh massively.
Speaker 2: The All Blacks are Australia's biggest straw card, that's no secret, and that's why they want three tests. That's why they want a new concept to throw into the mix. I think the ends that concept works, it will be you know, having Test Rugby earlier in the year. Test Rugby is Rugby's pinnacle, right, That's where all the eyeballs come, So it will work. It's just a flow on effect that that has on Super Rugby at a time when that competition is still trying to re establish itself, got a new finals format, all these things, and then you're throwing something else in the mix.
Speaker 3: Indeed, topic number four is there a crusader's bias in the All Blacks. Chaffy Hackey called in last week, is injury cover for some of the All Blacks players, liam usaid used to this question, so you can floor as yours all.
Speaker 2: Right, here we go, the gloves are off, elout. It's time to really get down and dirty. Look, I'm just going to name a few players for you. We'll start off easy. We'll go look Severy Reese on the on the right wing. I think he has been favored quite quite heavily this year at times when he hasn't played well. George Bell, Ricky Ricky Telly outplayed him thoroughly Super Rugby, and I know they picking for the future on age, but George Bell's throwing was awful this year. George Bauer, great guy. Xavier new Meer had a superb Super Rugby season, got injured at untimely manor, and then we had Scheffi Hackey. And I think Shaeff Hacke is a talent, but he has yet to prove himself and there are an infinite number of wing fullbacks playing better than him right now. Sean Stevenson, Jacob rut Of, ki Vuki Nipkins and a number of others. Whether he's going to play or not. I think it's relevant. I think it's the optics. I think it's the message of sending to players about the next guy in line. So I think the Schefficky one was the straw that broke the camel's back. And I think there is an unconscious crusader's bias here.
Speaker 3: Well, the message clearly to those players is get better, get to hear Schaffee Harckey's playing.
Speaker 2: I know you just turned this to wye me up here, and you do. You're on the cusp of me storming out of the studio. Turn a Matthew Ridge. You cannot sit there with a straight face and tell me that you think that Shaefi Hacky is deserving of his place.
Speaker 3: But he wasn't called into the backs. He's called in his injury cut.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter answer the question.
Speaker 2: Answer the question, is he deserving as being the next man in line for selection?
Speaker 3: Well, we haven't got a full explanation as to why he was called in and whether it was decided to keep in morning that I worked with his NBC team because they were playing on the Saturday with that didn't get runway to Vicky Nepkins in because they had a storm week last week and therefore had two games. Sewan Stevenson was involved in midweek game as well storm week.
Speaker 2: So whether it's Aunt Sullivan like there's so many other fullbacks and he's on a rugby wings, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well shaefe. He can play midfield as well and there are a few players like that.
Speaker 2: He had a great game for Canbury on the weekend as well when he went back his opposite squad.
Speaker 3: If he hadn't be pulled out of that squad, they might have won, might have been able to turn around. That's a forty six point eficits.
Speaker 4: It's good we're in agreement there as a crusader's bias.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think it's a good thing. You think it's a bad thing. Right Before we go, some interesting late breaking news from the world of Johnny Sexton and his book release. He's revealed what prompted the exchange with Rico Youwanni after the World Cup quarterfinal last year in Paris. So basically short stories. As Wayne Barnes blows full time, Rico Yuanni says, don't miss your flight tomorrow, enjoy your retirement. You beep fill in the gap there, and then after that Sexton walks after Yuanni and calls them a fake humble you know what. So Johnny Sexton's called into line the no dickheads policy in the All Black and various things, but revealed you know what exactly went on there. Also questioned the penalty that seeing Whitelocke managed to get as well over Ronan Calliha as well. So there are a few things keeping Johnny Sexton up at night, and he's put them into his book.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tough to see.
Speaker 2: Look, it's great to see an autobiography actually say something normally dollars as anything. But look, get over it, Johnny absolute winge there. Look, maybe you can say Rico shouldn't have been so harsh, but I'm in the school of thought that if you're going to give it, you've got to be able to take it. Peter o'many and Johnny Sexton were absolutely giving it to you all Blacks when they beat them in Wellington, and they had every right to that they won. They can celebrate as they choose to, you know. He also mentions the fact that Artie Severe, the Barrett brothers and Joe Schmidt were very humble in victory. Everyone's difference, but Johnny has got no leg to stand on. He's berated players, he's berated referees when he's been playing and not and he's still winjin about the decision, like get over it, mate.
Speaker 3: It shows the mental fragility that probably showed why they didn't win the World Cup quarter final in all.
Speaker 4: Honesty, and that final play is not the only reason they lost that game.
Speaker 3: And if you look back at the tape, Artie Savia has a moment a few phases prior where there's a very legitimate argument that all Blacks could have got the penalty there and Wayne Barnes could have blown it up there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think there's a build up of quarter final failures steaming within Johnny. And yeah, I saw a headline this week about I think I'm pretty sure it was someone I don't wanted to fame him here. He was talking about how when he kept it goal he pictured Ronan O'Gara or something.
Speaker 4: He's got a lot of grudges, I.
Speaker 3: Would say as well that postgame Andy Farrell was very complimentary of Bill Blacks from my memories of that media conference, and very very complimentary with the way they played, so and luck.
Speaker 2: Was Ian Foster and Sam Kaine spoke very highly of Johnny sixth and so it was one exchange. I think Brodie Rettallick had a bit of a jibe as well. But let's not forget Peter Omoni called Sam Cain a shit version of Ritchie mccare and I'm of the view that you know, what happens on the field stays on the field.
Speaker 3: My favorite line from this is the BBC article BBC Sport has approached New Zealand Rugby and Rico u ARTI's representatives for COVID. What do they expect them to COVID? Yes, I said that.
Speaker 4: I'm sure Rico is waiting by the phone, yeah to pick up.
Speaker 3: Happy to talk to the BBC. Right, that'll do us for another week on Rugby torect. We may be back next week, maybe not. Bill Back's got the squad out on October seventh, but we're into a wrist and rotation policy over the next couple of weeks, so we'll see. We'll be back at some point in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Put your feet up and enjoy Bloody Maria.
Speaker 3: That's enough. Rugby Direct with Xus Solutions elevating you and your business to a higher level of thanks to Last and Bars English as well. See you next month.
Speaker 4: Go the lines.
Speaker 1: More from News Talk, set B. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio