Speaker 1: This is football, Yes, it is indeed. Welcome into a new week, Welcome into the back end of a month, Welcome into a fresh episode of football Fever. I'm Jason Pine with Bonnie Jensen alongside.
Speaker 2: Hello, Bonnie, Hey Piney, I can taste it. I think I can taste the victory.
Speaker 1: Look, this is excellent. Should we should not put the cart before the horse, though, we should not assume anything. Presumably you are talking about the potential Premius Plate victory of Auckland f C.
Speaker 2: That's it, that's it, I think you know. I wasn't sure. I wasn't convinced it was going to go their way, but after last night, I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Speaker 1: All right. Can we get to that in due course? Let's work our way through chronologically. You're right, though, it is now close enough to really start thinking that this is a distinct possibility that Auckland f C are going to win the Premier's Plate in their first season. What are they seven points clear five games to go? It would take a major drop off and form, given the fact that they haven't lost on the last ten. Here's me getting ahead of myself. Now. It does actually feel very real, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does. I think it's it's really good. We've got a team, you know, out of the three Kiwi teams that are contending, you know, not only a playoff spot, but a title spot. It's certainly keeping you know, us Kiwi's far more interested in what is an Australian typically dominated league. So yeah, really pleasing to see Auckland still right up there.
Speaker 1: All right, let's start at the start of the weekend. We're on Saturday in the A League. Men, the Wellington Phoenix welcomed Melbourne City. No, not Melbourne City, the Western Sydney Wanderers. My apologies to sky Stadium best I've seen the Phoenix play for a long long time. Probably deserve to win the game. A two two draw and only a goal from Nicholas Milanovitch got Western Sydney's share of the points. Having said that they were one kneel down and two one down, came back twice, so probably deserved to draw. I just was quite pleasantly surprised by how good Wellington were given the way they've been in the last little while. That's you know, still eight games without a win, but just so much better.
Speaker 2: It was just so pleasing to see them kind of be on top of a game for once and actually against a good side. You know, they weren't favorites by any means going into the match, especially you know, despite the fact they were playing at home. So the fact that they were so competitive throughout the full ninety minutes, Yes, they didn't get the win. I think it really showed Chief his trust and these younger players, and you know, he's been forced to give them opportunities throughout the season and it's finally starting to pay off and you kind of get glimpses of what they can do in a year's time and you know next season when these younger players they are a little bit older, a little bit wiser.
Speaker 1: It was even more impressive given who was out because on Thursday we learned when they put out the ins and outs who was definitely out. So no Alex Ruffel, we knew that he was suspended, but we found out that Scott Wooton, Isaac Hughes and Polo Retray were all injured and not able to play. So basically you're taking out Wooton, who's been for me anyway, Wellington's best player by a distance. Isaac Hughes who's been alongside him in central events pretty much the whole time, and Polo Retray, who's one of the more experienced players in there, and no roof for either, so they kind of had to cobble together. Aback four, Tim Payne came in and played center back. Sheridan was there, Piper was there as well. Sam Sutton looked like Lucas Kelly heel was playing in some sort of deep lying midfield role. But it seemed to work, Bonnie, Yeah, it did.
Speaker 2: And what I really enjoyed was, obviously, as I mentioned, those younger players stepped up and they competed throughout the match. But I really liked I saw it like a lift and added We've spoken about it a little bit on the podcast before, but how you know, everyone's just checked out almost They seem angry at each other, like they don't want to be there, and I felt like that had kind of turned, especially after they scored that first goal. Corbyn Piper and I just saw Tim Payne kind of lifting up his team and he looked, you know, so pleased, And I think that's what was so positive, was, yes, they are trying to really go out on the season, you know, in the season on somewhat of a high.
Speaker 1: Corbyn Pipe is just a very dynamic player, isn't he Just he's just a one hundred percenter And to see him score that goal at the far post, and how delighted he was, you know, giving the old badge on the shirt a bit of a whack. You know, I like it when players do that. And look, he's clearly a guy who Look, he would absolutely admit he's not the most skillful guy in the world, but he will never give you anything less than one hundred percent. And even afterwards. Gellen Statuic, the coach of Western Sydney, said he thought Corbyn Piper was probably the most dangerous aerial threat in the entire A.
Speaker 2: League unreal and he kind of reminds me a little bit of someone like Mickey Foster, I guess on the woman's side, you know, very versatile, can play kind of anywhere on the pitch, but yeah, brings us kind of energy that. Yes, then they're not so skillful, but they, you know, are so threatening and a player you you know, as a defender, I personally would not want to defend just because they have this presence. And I think Corbyn Pipe has grown into that throughout the season. He was unfortunate not to start with a whole lot of game time, but obviously has had those opportunities now and I think he you know, other clubs will certainly probably be having his have their eye on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he'll probably start for the rest of the year now. I think he's he's earned that right. You're so right about his versatility. I think he's played about six different positions across the season. Tim Payne sent it back. Just a word on him. I thought he was very good. I love the spray that he got to Zach Sapsford, the young Western Sydney striker who as they went shoulder to shoulder into the penalty area in the second half, Sapsford took a dive and Tim Payne did you see this? Absolutely gave it to him, Absolutely gave it to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I saw something like that. And I don't know if this is controversial of me. I liked how Tim Payin's energy throughout the match. Maybe without the other the lack of senior players there, he needed to step up and remain positive. I liked that. But what I didn't like is in the postmatch press conference not press conference interview with Kimberly downs on Sky. He was quite negative and Kim was asking questions about the match and if Tim had seen an improvement, and he was looking more across the whole season and how it's been a really really you know, not the season they wanted, and I just thought it was a little bit poor.
Speaker 1: But anyway, Yeah, he's a pro though, and a perfectionist, and he, like all of them, they went be pleased with the way things have played out. Yes, he could have taken some positives from the weekend, but again they were you know, I think he was probably disappointed they didn't win the game. They're wonder up with eighty nine minutes gone, they let a goal in and all of a sudden three points becomes one. Chico Giraldes I like this guy. I raally like this guy. He's only contracted until the end of this season. He did a postmatch interview afterwards, which included an absolutely fantastic description of swimming with Sharks and in v Cargo. If you haven't seen that, you've got to get on the Phoenix's YouTube channel and check it out. But he said he wants to stay. I hope he stays. I think he got close to the to the Phoenix record for the most back heels in a game. The way he links with Costa, I'd love to see Chico Giraldi's resigned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think Costa likes, you know, having him there, having someone who's up to his standard, you know, looking forward in a key link player, and Costa, yeah, linked up with him so nicely for that seeking goal. So yeah, I agree, Pioneer. He would be important to keep for the Phoenix next season.
Speaker 1: Actually, just while we're on that subject, I've just written down a list here of the players who are off contract at the end of this season, and I'd be keen to know from you who would you be looking to definitely keep. So I'm going to go through these. Chico Giraldis you'd like to see him stay as I would?
Speaker 2: Yes? All right, Sam Sutton, see, I would love for the Phoenix looking at from a Phoenix perspective, I would love for him to stay. From a Sam Sutton perspective, looking to make the all whites you know, at the World Cup. I would like to see Sam Sutton go. Is that bad?
Speaker 1: No, not at all. And I think for Sam Sutton, the footballer as well. He's always said that he wants to play offshore. He's always wanted to follow in the footsteps of Kakachi and Old and Sing. It's always been his stated aim. He's approaching one hundred games for the club now, which is way more than any of those players ever got to so he's probably been here longer than ideally he would have hoped. But he's had a few injuries and things haven't quite gone his way. I wouldn't like to see him go to another A League club, although I have heard drums beating about a potential move to Perth Glory for Sam Sutton that didn't work for Olie Sale, but I don't know, maybe that's in the wind. Yeah. I feel exactly the same way as you. I think it'll be great that the Phoenix have him for another season, But for the for the footballer and for the for the person, I think, you know, maybe he he has to bite the bullet and just and take a deal over season and try his luck.
Speaker 2: Scott Wharton, Yeah, definitely, but I don't think he will stay well. He because there were rumors that he was going to be leaving mid season this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's another one who's been linked to Perth Glory.
Speaker 2: As I understand going to Perth Glory, they're not a very good side this season.
Speaker 1: Well that's probably why there's places opening up over there. I've heard heard Scott Wooden and Sam Sutton both very heavily linked to moves away. I'm like, you know, Scott Wharton has been as I say, he's been my player of the season and a very difficult, difficult campaign. He's been a shining light. So I've I'd like to see him stay, but I don't think that he is necessarily one hundred percent guarantee to cost of Barbarussis has a has a one year option, a player option, club option. If they both agree he'll stay another season. You clearly want him to stay.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do, and I think for cost you know, he's someone that just you know, given his age, all due respects, could be on the fringe of that World Cup squad next year. So staying at the Phoenix, where he's comfortable and is all but guaranteed minutes, you know, wouldn't be a bad idea.
Speaker 1: Marco Rojas, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think he can stay if he doesn't cost the club a lot, But I feel like we haven't Obviously he's been injured, but we haven't seen much from him to wow us, you know, so I'm actually not that fased about him either way.
Speaker 1: I'd love to see him stay and fulfill the potential that he's got. He's only started two games, played seven in total, just seems to be afflicted by injuries, which is such a shame for such a talented player. When he signed at the start of the season, remember Chief, he said, I'm going to build my team around Marco, That's what he said. But when he's only started two of their games, I mean, that's entirely impossible to judge. I'd like to see him stay. Whether they'll they'll take the chance that he can remain and can remain injury free, remains to be seen.
Speaker 2: Corbyn Piper, Yes, I fear though he you know, maybe Steve Croker has his eyes on him and he wants to return home. Who knows, but maybe he got snubbed from Auckland f C. I fear, but yeah, he'd be great. He's growing into his place there at the club and should stay another season.
Speaker 1: All right. Dublin Boone is the third goalkeeper. He's off contract I'm not sure what they'll do with him, and it's probably not worth speculating about. They've got all away Emmy, they'll have Kelly healed. Whether they keep Dublin boone or not, probably neither hen nor there. And the only other one is Stephan Kolakowski, who we never really saw enough of before that season ending injury. Six games off the bench at the start of the season. I thought he was quite energy. Whether they'll offer him something, I'm not sure. He was a very positive force around the club, as you know. He added immeasurably to the culture of the team, But whether that's enough to get an extension, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think culture is so key for this team right now, so would like to see him stay.
Speaker 1: All right, We're waiting and see on those players. They are the ones who are off contract at the end of the season. Consecutive draws for Wellington. That's eight games without a win now though, but they are eleventh on twenty one points five games to go. Next up, they visit the ninth placed Newcastle Jets on Sunday night at seven o'clock. It's kind of the Wellington Phoenix women who were in action yesterday Sunday in Pottydoa the visit of the unbeaten Melbourne City. The still unbeaten Melbourne City a one nil win for City, Holly McNamara with her twelfth goal of the season. I thought the Phoenix women were pretty good value across the ninety minutes, but again just couldn't find the goals to you know, to to I guess give some significance to the to the amount of possession shots they had in this game.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I feel like we say this every week Pioneer that they were good, they were in the contest, but they didn't get the result, and it's it's becoming routine for them, it's becoming routine for us. And I thought it was impressive actually their performance and the way they stayed in the game given they were playing, you know, the caliber of Melbourne City. But yeah, I don't know, it's it's disappointing. I guess when they come that close and they have that many chances in front of goal not to not to get anything from it. And it's I'm starting to think it's a culture thing in the woman's football scene in New Zealand with just our you know, lack of being able to sall goals, it's a little bit concerning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'm looking at March. Remember in January and February I made this huge point of how important March would be for the Phoenix women, and I look at their results in the five games, four losses, three of those losses at home. So you know, I said March will be the you know, the the month they live and die on. And I mean it's not They're not dead yet in terms of the top six, but you know, to lose at home to to Adelaide United, to lose at home to Central Coast Mariners in Melbourne City, I think you can probably forgive that because they're a very good team. But just and then away at Sydney, who have had a terrible season, they just, I don't know, they just haven't been able to shake free from the affliction of last year when they couldn't pick up points at the back end of the season either and ended up just outside the spots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really like lackluster. You know, they obviously struggle on the road. We've spoken about that before. They need something to say that this is what they're got at and we thought that was them going to winning and getting points, picking up points at home, and I don't think we can, you know, crucify this performance on the weekend against Melbourne City. As you say, they're a very good side and actually to go down one nil isn't that bad. But yeah, it is a bit of an issue. Maybe they'll look at a management change next season, who knows. I really like Paul Temple. I think he's done really well with the squad, but for two seasons in a row for them to you know, just go downhill as quite significantly, as somewhat concerning.
Speaker 1: Pretty even stats sixty forty possession in favor of Melbourne City, thirteen shots to ten best. The best chance for Wellington probably the gold Mouth scramble late in the first half. I don't know how they didn't get the ball and then it there. Carolinavellaw saved another penalty. Soft penalty though, wasn't it? Yeah? Soft penalty?
Speaker 2: Yeah it was, But you know, a saves a save. And I don't know what her contract situation is at the Phoenix, but she is definitely someone they should be holding on too. She has kept the Phoenix well into games. She's like Alex Paulsen but probably better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she I think she's probably got designs on Player of the season. Sorry, when I said soft penalty, I meant the giving of the penalty. I didn't think. I didn't think it was a foul by mac dowry. I think the two players just came together and she's pointed to the spot. I don't Yeah, if there's vaar, maybe it gets overturned. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't get me started on va I.
Speaker 1: Know I've done that in the past and I won't do it again today. Marty and to speak my back to Pottydoer had a great chance on the second half but put it wide. Did you see her and Tiana Jaba have a bit of a set to in the second half during there was a throw in Tiana Mardy and I speak my I got up in Tiana Jabe's face and she was about to take the throw. Jaba gave her a bit of a shove. She went down like a drink of milk. Both got yellow cards.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't see that, but I'm not surprised. Honestly, I always quite like those games. Though it happened with with kraev right when he back on Friday night, for the men's game as well, and then the crowd gets involved. It's always kind of what you love about football, and I reckon Mariana loves you know, enjoys coming back despite despite the fact it would give her a bit of fire.
Speaker 1: I heard she was having dinner with a couple of the Phoenix players on Friday night. There you go, yes, So I'm sure she's still got some good relationships here. Melbourne City unbeaten through twenty one games, fourteen wins and seven draws. Amazing. Phoenix are eighth on twenty three points. Ok, here's the equation, Bonnie, four points outside the top six. Canberra have twenty seven, Brisbane have twenty five, Phoenix have twenty three. There are two games to go. There's an international break, then the Phoenix play Canberra away and Western United at home. Now go with me on this. If they win them both, they'll get to twenty nine points and they would have beaten Canberra, one of the teams above them. So if they get those twenty nine points, and it's anything but a foregone conclusion given the way they've been playing lately, but go with me. If they get to twenty nine points, they would need Camborough not to win their last game it's away at Western Sydney and for Brisbane to get less than four points in their last two games Western Sydney at home and Melbourne victory away. So Western Sydney are almost a bit of a kingmaker here. They haven't been playing very well. I get the feeling the Phoenix are just going to miss out on the six again.
Speaker 2: Well I was looking at that thinking it's somewhat possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. Here we are, or here I am saying, you know, the Phoenix have dropped the ball the second back end of the season. However, it has been a really really tight competition and up and down results across the board. In saying that though, Canberra are a good looking team at the moment, and you know, I pulled out some really good results away from home, so I wouldn't yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the Phoenix miss out, but who knows what can happen. It's just a shame. It's out of their control.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, no, that's exactly what it is. It's out of their control now. And if they don't beat Canberra away on the thirteenth of April, then the last game doesn't matter. They can't make it, so they've got to win that game. They can't even afford to draw it. That won't be enough. They need to win against Canberra and yeah, and that keeps them alive going into the last game of the season. Tianna Jaba just on her in line to play her first home internationals for Lebanon this week. She's been named in their squad for a couple of friendlies and the Football Ferns play Chinese Taypeei this Saturday and next Tuesday. The first one of these is behind closed doors. Do you have any any idea why?
Speaker 2: No idea why? It doesn't make sense to me, But maybe maybe it's it's Michael Maine, maybe it's the opposition. I'm not sure that it's happened a couple of times for the Football Ferns recently, so I don't really get the purpose of it, especially when you're trying to grow the woman's game. But here we are.
Speaker 1: You're so right, Why would New Zealand and Chinese Taypeei. For what earthly reason would they play a game behind closed doors?
Speaker 2: I mean maybe if it's right before a World Cup like they did back in twenty twenty three, I think against Argentina, or you know, maybe if it's a head of a big event, but for just a random friendly and non important year in women's football. I don't get it. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I do not get it either. But at least we can watch the second one, which is on the Tuesday, the following Tuesday, So this coming Saturday, I can't watch that the following Tuesday. Only a couple of Phoenix players in the squad, Dharmenia Elliott and Annalie Longo. So I guess that'll please Paul Temple that he just loses those two Antianna Jaber of course, as he prepares for the final push, the final push he hopes, I'm sure, towards a top six spot. And so we land at Auckland FC a two nil win over Brisbane in Brisbane last night had a pretty barren sort of a sun corpse stadium. It reminded me actually of watching games during COVID times. Nobody turned up to watch Brisbane play, and that's hardly surprised, and given the season that they've had a goal late in the first half from Nando Pinneker, a second from a rookie Saki late on which was given after var review originally chalked off or the flag went up for offside. I don't think it was Auckland FC's best performance, but more than enough to get the job done.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't either. I thought that I was worried in the first half a. I was like, oh, maybe it's not going to happen. And yeah, I think pleasing the fact that they were able to get the job done regardless, you know, comparing it back to the last time they were away against the Newcastle Jets and they didn't play well by any means and didn't get the result they wanted. So the fact they were still able to pull it off against Brisbane, especially when these games are so important, I thought that was really impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They've also off the back of three straight draws, including the Newcastle game you just mentioned and those other two at home that we've talked about a lot, where they threw away leads and can to late goals to drop points. So Steve Kyriker, I'm sure will be pleased to be back in the winner's circle as it was. Dan Hall and Nando Pinak are starting together for the first time since Round seven. Of course Dan Hall started in the last game against the Mariners, but Pinnaker was suspended, and of course Dan Hall was out for that long fourteen to fifteen week stretch. I don't know, they just seem so secure, doren't they another clean sheet? You look at that back five, Paulson Sarki Hall Pineker devrees. It just seems like such a solid, solid back five, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does, and it's scary for any team that's going to come up against them in the playoffs. And just a word on Alex Paulson. I saw Auckland FC release this morning on their instagram. You know, ten clean sheets leading the league, seventy five percentage leading the league, and four goals prevented, which is also best in the league. So it's yeah, it's really really good stats. And it was great to see Dan hallback and I think he's he's come back, you know, no worries at all. He doesn't look like he's been away for months. Yeah, really really pleasing. I thought it was. It was surprising to see no no med Aino in there. Obviously Max Munter was back, but no Nada. I think he's out with a are we hamstring injury or groin injury.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, that's what That's what the word was. So so yeah, how long that keeps him out? I'm not too sure. Interesting too, though, that Marley Francois got the got the start ahead of a guy like Jesse Randall, for example, who has started the last two matches and was in the match day squad. I think yesterday didn't get on Marley Francois. I'm still to be a little bit. I'm still a little bit unconvinced by Marley Francois. I think he's very energetic. I think he tries hard, but yeah, I'm not sure that he adds more than more than you know, Jesse randal Wood, or even actually more than the now and visit Liam Gillion. What has happened to Liam Gillion? Where has he gone?
Speaker 2: I have no idea, and that actually reminds me pioneer job for me today is to go to Auckland EFC and ask where he is. I heard a few probably a month ago now, he was carrying an injury and that's why he was left out of some squads. I'm not sure if that's still the same now, but it is a real shame. I know, Liam Gillion obviously started incredibly and then you know, wasn't able to find the back of the net, which was eventually the reason he was dropped completely from the squad. But I feel like it still is really really harsh. I mean, you don't get a call up to the all white squad for no reason, you know, So yeah, it is. It is a bit of a shame. I'm the same as you, pioneer Marley Francois. I'm not convinced on him. However, we said this about Nada Madina and we will proved completely wrong. So I don't want to I don't want to get ahead of myself there. I did think that front line and the link to the midfield struggled, particularly in that first half. I think without the Nada you often comes in and goes more central and plays a little bit deeper as a kind of acting as a link to the front the Fords, and without Naida there they kind of lacked at a bit. So I thought what Steve Corriker did in the second half, bringing cam House and on at halftime was probably the right move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was an interesting formation, wasn't it. And that Jake Brimmer wasn't in the starting eleven either for the first time in quite a while. Just yet. Back to Liam Gillian, he played the first he started the first eleven games of the season and then he was down to the bench and he came came on in the next game against Melbourne City at home. But he has not been seen since, and that is January eighteen. He hasn't been on the grass for Auckland FC. And yes, there might have been an injury issue in amongst all this for over two months, it just doesn't compute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and bearing as well, that first eleven games was probably Auckland f C's strongest run, right I'm trying to think in terms of results, that's when they had a really good run. Yes, they weren't scoring that many goals, but they were getting the results and that's what gave them that lead right from the start. So it is a bit of a shame. He's kind of dropped from the face of the earth. So, yeah, that'll be on my jobs list right after this recording to go and see what the hecks happened to him, because I hope he gets another shot, you know, and it might just take you know, him to come off the bench one match and score a winning goal to be back in the picture. And I hope that happens for him because I think he is a bright young star for the country.
Speaker 1: I look at where he got dropped, and it was dropped from the starting eleven after that Perth glory loss away. That was his last start, and that came off the back of that Nillel draw on New Year's Day against Melbourne victory. So you know, off, you know, two games without a win and Steve Couric is quite within his rights to make a change, and he got a response with Melbourne Citi's the three nil win against them in mid January. But then yeah, not to be seen since. But then you say to yourself, okay, well in his absence they haven't lost, so so you know what motivation is there. But I still think he's worth a place on the bench, you know, shouldered his shoulder with guys like Marley Francois and Bidoir as well. I you know, I just anyway, maybe there's maybe there's more to it, or maybe we're reading too much into it and it's just just selection. Brisbane had more possession in this game and thirteen shots to Auckland's nine, but they got the job done first, went after three straight door draws. As we say now ten unbeaten. I loved Hiroki Sarkive's reaction when his goal was confirmed. The guy's just loving it at Auckland, isn't he?
Speaker 2: You know, Oh, he's loving it. They're so lucky to have extended his contract, and I think he it wouldn't have actually been a hard fight because he is loving it so much. And yeah, it was the sweetest celebration. And the fact he's even been up in those positions, you know, being able to finish that. He was the loan forward up there alongside I guess Logan Rogerson with the assist, but yeah, pretty impressive. He's such a key player. I was talking with people in the office. Would you give him the player of the season or would you give it to someone like Francis or someone like Alex Paulson.
Speaker 1: It's such a good question. I don't know whether they do it the same way that Wellington Phoenix do it. The way Wellington Phoenix do it is that after each game, a group of people, about five or six people give three, two and one in terms of points for performance on that day. So after the game of the weekend, those five or six people all say, okay, well, I think Girolis gets my three, Pain gets two and Piper gets one or whatever it is. All those points are added up over the season, and that's how you get your player of the year. See. In many ways, I sometimes get to the end of the season and you think to yourself, okay, well, who has been the best player? If you think back over the twenty seven games, who has been the best player? Because it might not always be the guy who is top of the points. It could well be, but it's not always Like I look at who's been the most influential player for Auckland FC this season, and yes, SARKI absolutely could well be your guy. Louis Vastrata. For me, I've talked about him a lot. I think he's been enormous. Nando Pinick has probably got a case, Alex Porson's got a case, Francis Derees has been excellent. It's so hard, yeah, I mean, who would you pick?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I think Louis Vastrata would have been up there for me, but he's missed too many recently through injury and suspensions. And things like that. I don't know if that's harsh No, Sarki obviously, but I feel like Francis and it probably sounds biased of me, just kind of because he's a mate. But I think he's just had so many goal contributions and down both ends of the park that it is really hard to look past him. The other one I wouldn't rule out is Gmo My. I think he's been so so good at the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was really good yesterday too. I'd love to see his GPS numbers. He doesn't play like a center forward at all, does he. He's back linking up play, he's back defending. He's so good with when a ball gets played into him because the I just Devrees and Sarkai and every on the back four just bangs the ball into him. He's got a man right up him, and he always gets hold of it, always gets his first touch, brings somebody in. It's like you're not even surprised anymore when he does it. And they've obviously been told. Devrees in particular has clearly been told, look, just bash it into my and he'll get hold of it for us. So he does, and he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and going back to those three two one system, I don't know if that would work for Auckland FC because you do have players like Nada Moreno or Logan Rodgerson who score a couple of goals you know often, and they might get man of the match that but I'm not sure they necessarily deserve to then go on and win Player of the season. But it is a tricky one.
Speaker 1: See, I think, like I said before, I think Scott Wooden's Wellington's player of the season, but I doubt he would be high up in the three two ones exactly. So yeah, it's a difficult one to judge. Right. Auckland FC a seven point lead at the top five games to go. Next up Western Sydney on Saturday at home. So you were coming back and forth to me on missing this morning as we were trying to work out when is the earliest that Auckland FC could potentially win the Premiers Play. So here's here's where we are. They need nine points from their last five games, Okay, so let's not talk about when when's the earliest they could win it. If they get nine points from their last five games, they win it because that gets them to fifty four, which nobody else can get to. So do you back them to do that? First of all? To get nine points in the next five games?
Speaker 2: However, they got Western Sydney.
Speaker 1: Are you not packing them? Are you to?
Speaker 2: But I need to know their opponents, all right, I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you Western Sydney at home, Sydney FC away, Melbourne victory away, Perth at home, Western United away.
Speaker 2: The first two. Yes, they're going to get They're going to get six points from those two games. I'm a bit nervous about Melbourne victory away. There's something about Melbourne victory in this time of the season. I think it's PTSD from last year against the Wellington Phoenix. I don't know so.
Speaker 1: But Perth at home surely to.
Speaker 2: Go oh yeah, and that I kind of just want it to be that one because then they're going to award it, you know, in front of the home crowd, and it's going to be all special.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they could actually they could win it. As I understand it, and I've sort of done a bit of reading on this and had some things sent through to me, they could win it as soon as the Sydney FC game. So two games away if they beat Western Sydney and beat Sydney FC. Now again, go with me on this. They would win if Western United drop three points across their next two games and Melbourne City dropped two points across their next two games, so they won't know that. Unfortunately, if they do beat Western Sydney and then beat Sydney FC, they won't know that they've won it until the next day because Western United play the next day. So the earliest they could possibly find out that they have won it is the Sunday. I'm just going to bring the date up here so that we've got it actually right, Sunday, the thirteenth of April. So if they win this week and beat Sydney FC, it might actually be. It might actually be. No, it would be, it would be. So I'm trying to do the sums in my head. So the earliest they could possibly be confirmed premieres is Sunday, April thirteen, at nighttime, at nighttime after Western United play play their game.
Speaker 2: So I shouldn't tell my friends in Sydney that Auckland f C will be out partying, you know, celebrating their premiers play one on the Saturday night in Sydney no, No, you maybe the Sunday back and back in Auckland.
Speaker 1: Because if they were celebrating on the Saturday night then it would be premature because they wouldn't have won it.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, so Sunday night Auckland is what you're telling me, Pioney Danny Dolan's is probably going to go off.
Speaker 1: Well, it goes off most nights from my experience, even on a Monday down there, it's pretty good of it. A live years it going anyway, we're digressing. Yeah, so that's the earliest look. I think. I think they'll win it. And you look for the three wins over the next five games and you say, well, they normally win their home games. I think they'll beat Western Sydney this coming week, even though Western Sydney are a good team. I absolutely think they'll beat Perth who are terrible unfortunately for them. And then really you're just looking for one of those away games. Sydney FC have dropped off a bit lately, that will be an opportunity Melbourne victory. I agree. I don't see it coming down to that last game because this all relies also on Western United continuing to win their matches as well and they've got Perth at home, Western Sydney away, Brisbane away, Sydney at home, and Adelaide it home in Melbourne City, the other team that's in the mix as well. Maybe just from week to week we should we should do what is logical and just say okay, where are we now rather than look too far ahead. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so Pinney. But I also think it's fair to say they've got one hand on the Premiers plant.
Speaker 1: They could well have that, and of course what comes with that is home advantage should they make the Grand final, because if you're finished top and you make the Grand Final, you host the grand final, so that that's a huge part of this as well. Plus you get the second leg of the semi final at home as well, which which is always always helpful. So yeah, it is. It is getting close. It feels unlikely that anybody's going to haul them in, even Western United, who are who are are on a good run. I just I just don't see them. I just don't see Auckland f C dropping enough points for you know, for them not to win it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't see it either. I think you know, last night they took on Brisbane yes, they're team, but Brisbane kind of had more, more chances, more opportunities, more possession and the fact Auckland's FC got it done is really really promising and shows great potential looking forward to looking forward to the playoffs.
Speaker 1: All right, one final piece of news before we go, and that is about Ben Old, who it was great to see back on the grass for the first time since he suffered a knee injury back in mid October, so after five months out, he finally got back into action. He came off the bench for Saint Etienne. It wasn't a very happy day for the club, they lost six to one to Paris Saint Jermat, but for Ben Old he made it back out onto the grass, which was which was nice for him. Yeah. Look, just you know what a player, It's just great to have him back out there, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, I think it's just perfectly in time for him to you know, hopefully no other injuries, but in terms of making his case for the World Cup next year, I would love to see him there. Who he comes in over, I'm not sure that's squad is so competitive now, but he'll certainly be putting his hands up based on you know, his most recent performances prior to his injury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely think he's there, you know, Yeah, you're right. For me, it's a matter of who drops out for him, not whether he makes it. I think there's some even in that latest squad. You know, you're probably looking at guys like Jesse Randall, Logan Rogerson, guys like that who perhaps would be the unlucky ones. But when things are so competitive, that's the nature of it, isn't it that good players are not going to make make all white squads, which is probably quite a nice problem to have. Okay, Bonnie, Well, that's us for another week on Football Fever this coming weekend, as I say, no game for the women, they've got the international window. But the Auckland FC men five o'clock on Saturday afternoon against the Western Sydney Wanderers and the Wellington Phoenix Men seven o'clock Sunday night away at the Newcastle Jets. Have a good week here, a good week, Bonnie, and we'll chat again next Monday.
Speaker 2: We'll see it then, Piney.
Speaker 1: This is Football Fever Ever.