Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talk SEDB.
Speaker 2: I like you for Christmas, please make my wish come true.
Speaker 3: Oh yes. Actually, the reason I'm playing that as well is because I am going to give a shout out because I'm doing a community event. This is me, by the way, from my Christmas album that I recorded a few years ago for hospice. It's because I'm doing community event at the Holy Trinity next Saturday night with the North Shore Brass and it's a Christmas concert and I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to it because we've had such a busy year and suddenly it's like, oh, let's get together sing a few Christmas songs. So there you go. That's my I said to my producer, say, I didn't say play some tim beverage, but I did say in different words. Maybe I pretty much said play that track. Yeah I did, Okay, yes, but I didn't use it in those words. I didn't say play someth and beverage. Conceptor sounds very ego centric, doesn't it. Anyway? Welcome back. The interviews are up for Politic Central, so you can go online and check them out. Had a fascinating discussion with Ashley Bloomfield and also Chris Hopkins and Thomas Coglan on the AGM for Labor and that was politics central. But right now I guess what we're moving on. It's the Health Hub and joining us. He is a personal trainer at body Talk. I love a good pun t O r q u E. Of course body Talk it's all about energy momentum. And his name is Alex Flint. How Alex, how are you? Oh, hang on a minute, I'll just tell on your microphone then you can say it again. You're good.
Speaker 4: I'm really good, Tim, Thanks for me.
Speaker 3: Excellently looking forward to the Christmas season. Yeah you've noticed the tinsel has gone up around the studio.
Speaker 4: Yeah I have. It's been a lovely touch since.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Hey, look we're going to talk about well home workouts, but you know, you know when you should use a personal trainer and and what you should why people use personal trainers for one, but the fun one I also want to touch on, just to get the conversation rolling, as the worst or the best piece of home workout equipment you've ever owned, And there would have been a time when Alex Flint didn't know much about exercise, so you may have been that teenager in his room with the chest expander and the bullworker, thinking that there was going to make you look like the guy in the ads.
Speaker 4: What's guilty as charged?
Speaker 3: What's the worst ever piece of exercise equipment you've ever owned?
Speaker 4: I've had a lot, really. Yeah. At fourteen years of age, was had every muscle fitness magazine, and I think I had collected probably in the vicinity of half a dozen to a dozen home exercise pieces of equipment, all which were pretty much useless and gave me no results when compared to the person that I saw in the ad, who was like an Adonis. So well creaiting for that to happen.
Speaker 3: Do you think those I mean, I wonder when people ever work out that the person who's advertising the abdominizer amazing probably has only held an abominizer in their hands during the ad and the rest of the time they're doing other things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not sure if they'd even know what the name of the equipment was, to be honest, but yeah, they seemed to be able to find the very most athletically gifted and beautiful looking people to advertise. But yeah, they don't. They definitely don't use them.
Speaker 3: I had the chest expander was my first piece. I think the thirteen or fourteen year old boy the testosterones hit. You don't know what to do with yourself. You think I need I look like I still looked like an eleven year old. But I've got all these hormones coursing thrown. I've got to transform myself. And I bought the chest expander, which was the thing with two handles and a bunch of chains. That was the running gag was I think you could put there were springs, five springs, and depending on your strength, you would have either one, two, three, four or five and I think three was hard enough. And it was a bit of a running gag with friends about the guy who was only using the one spring.
Speaker 4: And ironically the biggest thing about that, you know, you buy it as a chest expander and it's not actually even using you it's bad pixels. Yeah, it's using your back muscles. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did wonder about that. I thought, you know, any of your what did you have and was there something that actually was quite useful?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, the first one that came to mind, and I do remember buying it and I would have been fourteen. Was the abdominizer. I was trying to think of the name of it here that you reminded me just as we started, and that was like an ab roller, so it was on the ground. It was like you put your head on a pad and then put your arms up in the air and sort of rock back and forth and basically did a crunch. And I think I saved up all my paper money for goodness knows how many weeks to buy that to pretty much do an abdominal crunch on the floor.
Speaker 3: But actually, because there is a way of doing that with a dumb bell with handles on each side where you're sort of lying down a press up position, you roll out and you go back, there's something and that isn't that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, yeah. I think at the end of the day, marketing gets us at the majority of home exercise equipment purchase late at night. So and I even know that from my own from my own gym, that a lot of members sign up when they're when they're in bed later on in the in the evening, when they're thinking about doing something. Uh, And that happens very much with home exercise equipment. So the times that we buy am probably our motivation is there because we think in tomorrow is going to be the day that I start. We see the marketing and purchase away, but never really use them unfortunately.
Speaker 3: And I think, of course we're thinking of that infomercial driven sort of exercise machines, and I think, you know, let's not say, if you've bought yourself a home a full home gym with free weights and all that in the equipment, that's when that's not what we're really talking about. But there is one piece of exercise equipment somebody's just reminded me on the text, which is legit if you've got the budget to get a decent one, and that's a rowing machine.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely yeah, But what is it.
Speaker 3: With see rowing machines? It's obviously it's not still not going to expand that chest that But what's what's so good about a rowing machine?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think, just to be fair and to clarify things, there is some absolutely fantastic home exercise equipment out there. Probably the biggest thing that we can use to justify it is actually and clarify it is the cost of the purchase. So if you're buying something which you're also going to see in a commercial environment. You know, for example, a rowing machine that you'll also see in a gym. You know, it's a great bit of equipment and it's going to be around long enough to use it. A lot of the stuff that we see on infomercials, that's where the issues lie because they're cheap, they don't last very long, and they don't necessarily give us much of a workout really, and so you know, there's a big differentiation in terms of what's great gear for home and what's not. So the first thing that is really fantastic home, and it's interesting that that's the first one that's come up in the text, is a rowing machine. So a rowing machine full body exercise, great for cutting vascular work, also great for muscular strengths, uses all your back muscles, your leg muscles. That's also great if your posture, as long as you use it properly, so you're getting all of these bang few buck things in one machine.
Speaker 3: I've always hated the rowing machines at the gym. When that you know, you go and see a personal trainer and they say let's get on the rowing machine. I'm like, ah, just I, just I don't know what, but I mean, is there anything it's it's not it's not working your chest out, is it?
Speaker 4: No? Not really no?
Speaker 3: Does it matter?
Speaker 4: Well? I mean yeah, I mean there's no one exercise that's going to be great for everything. We need multiple things and it's the same. Rowing is a fantastic form of cardiovascular work and it uses a reasonablemount of muscular strength and power. But like anything, there's not really a one size fits all exercise or machine.
Speaker 3: Actually that does sound like also a talkback question, to be honest. I mean, what is if you're going to do one excess? If you're going to do one thing, what should it be for me? Up until the point your knees go? And Greg Pain's going to call me in a moment saying, what do you mean your need is going? You're running wrong? But I would argue that the best piece of home exercise equipment you can get as a decent pair of running shoes.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, Ben Guy Beverage for the one. That's the one. If there's one thing that you can do, get yourself a pair of running shoes and get outside, start running, and if that's walking, to start with Greg Pains and men to talk more about getting people into it, you know, effectively in a safe way. But yeah, absolutely running is number one. Having said that, there is a big reason why we need to include strength training as well.
Speaker 3: Well, that's actually part of our conversation. We wanted to have this affternoon because and some of the conversations that we come up with, you know, is a discussion with myself and my producer and other people around. But this one's come from me because I'm walking, because I've had to take a break from running for a few weeks just to let a knee settle down. And it's one of the things my physio who doesn't like to tell me what to do, but she has not set a no to it in the way that's I think she's telling me I should do strength training again. And I used to go to do strength training with the four major well you know, we had left squats and a couple of others. And so here's the question is around when should you use a personal trainer? Is it when you are and why do people use personal trainers because everyone have a different reason. For me, I would use a personal trainer to get good professional advice because I can motivate myself to turn up, whereas other people get a personal trainer because it's an appointment they.
Speaker 4: Have to keep.
Speaker 3: But let's talk about when it is advisable or very helpful to have a personal trainer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question, and probably tim your I would say, a reasonably motivated exerciser and something that's you know on your mind? Would you say it?
Speaker 3: Actually, only because I found something I really enjoy and I finally got over the hump of running. I used to hate running, and then I did it enough that I now it's I will miss it if I couldn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So the number one reason when people are interviewed and they've been in involved in personal training for a long period of time is believe it or not, it's out of accountability and motivation is the number one reason.
Speaker 3: So it's a date. Basically, I've got a date with Alex. I can't make it. Even though I'm paying them. I'm going to let them down if I'm not there.
Speaker 4: Regardless of how you know the experience and the expertise of the personal trainer, it's the fact that someone's waiting there for you, and that's a hard thing to stand someone up. Yeah, So that's the first reason. So just being accountable and turning up and having someone waiting for you is the number one reason, followed relatively closely by expertise and professionalism. So obviously in your case, you know, if you feel like you need to get back into strength training and it's something that you want to complement your running, then just going to the gym and starting any old programs probably not the right way to go. You want something which is specific enough to not only help you run, but maybe also help you stay injury free or get over any injuries. So that's I guess where the expertise of a good trainer will lie is being able to set you up with the right programs for what you're out.
Speaker 3: How do you identify a good personal trainer? Because there will be those who are qualified, and there will be those who've not necessarily qualified, but they've been doing it for twenty years and they've learned on the job, and that's a legitimate way of becoming good at what you do as well. But how do you actually, yeah, how do you choose a personal trainer? Apart from obviously Alex Flint, Yeah, well you.
Speaker 4: Could always choose me. Now, I think the biggest thing that I've found. I'm almost fifty now, and through my own experience, I feel that it's very important that your trainer has empathy for your position, and they almost might have been through a similar stage either in their life, or they've been through a similar weight loss journey, or it might be you know that they've got similar sort of motivations or goals or backgrounds. So that is something which I believe is very important. So you're looking for a trainer which is aligned, I guess with yourself, and they've probably got a background that means you're going to have similarities. One of the biggest things that I've found over time is when I was young, training people that were say twenty to thirty years older than me, I just didn't know how their bodies felt. I didn't understand injuries the same way I didn't understand the drag that and not having energy because you've got kids and family and you know these types of things that can pull you down. So probably I wasn't as effective training people that were twenty years older than me when I was in my twenties because I just didn't understand. So as time's gone on, me being able to I guess experience some of those things myself has also made me experience it in a way that I have to get better myself. But also I've got more empathy and more understanding of how to get the results with certain people.
Speaker 3: Does that I guess that means you've changed the way you do business. I almost wondered whether because this is the thing, people are impatient. They make an appointment, they arranged to meet a personal trainer, and probably the most frustrating thing is for the clients, So they just expect you to pull out a program, right, let's get into it, We're onto it, when probably the first thing you want to do is interview them and chat to them and get their priorities where they're like, yes, I want to get in good shape. Yes, yes, yes, But that is a huge part of it, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is. When people are ready to go, they make their appointment to see their trainer, or you know, they start googling online. The motivation factor means that it is important that they get off to a quick start and start to see some results, but it's also equally as important that we make sure that there's a long term process put into place, because often I think you know, associated with personal trainers is you know, short term six week programs, twelve week programs. We often have people coming to us at the gym that just want to do a couple of weeks, you know, big kickstart. But the problem with that is your risk of injury and your risk of overdoing it is highest at the start. So it's almost like there's got to be a pulling back of expectations and a more long term outlook.
Speaker 3: So for someone who's getting okay, and look, this is my situation, but there be a lot of people like it, especially when you've been around a few years. You've been into a few gyms, you've been out of them, You've done different exercises, you've done different routines, and you think, oh, look, I'm just going to go back and I'll do that simple routine I did five years ago. But intuitively, I'm telling myself that I shouldn't just go into the gym and do that stuff. I should really do it supervised. That sounds to me because I just I don't really want to. I just I feel I just want to rip into it. But my brain's my little Jim and E Cricket's going no, no, don't do that alone. Go and see someone and just get them to not nurse you through it. But you know what I mean, would that be your advice?
Speaker 4: That's a really sensible way to go about it. I mean, exercise is relatively simple. What we need to do. You know, we need to be consistent. If we're strength training, we need to pick effective exercises, we need to do enough of it, and we need to do it regularly enough. Same with cardiovascular work, same with mobility inflexibility work. But really one of the most important things with this is that you almost have a blueprint and you understand how your body works where it's at, and you meet your body with a program which is effective for where your body is at the moment. So even if we talk about five ten years ago, what worked for you then may not work for you the same now. And one of the things that I really recommend that everyone starts with with a good trainer or just going to a gym is actually getting a very effective and reasonably sort of lengthy assessment program which will give you a blueprint for where you're at.
Speaker 3: What's that? What's an assessment program?
Speaker 4: So what we do is we do some body scans seen a match fit we do. We look at it if I want to know, what the hell's that? Oh that's you, Yeah, so that's you know. We look at blood pressure, we look at resting heart rate. If someone can we get them to go to the doctor and get some blood tests just so we know that those types of things are safe. But that also then means, okay, we know what your health is like, and if you've got a healthy body, you've got a responsive body. If you've got a body which is not so healthy, that should be your first priority because often if you take an unhealthy body and push it hard, you're just asking for you're asking for trouble. So assessments number one and then figuring out from that what your strengths and weaknesses are and then tailoring the program based on that. So if we find, you know, that someone comes in for an assessment and they're in really good health and they've said that their goals are they want to get a bit stronger, or maybe they've you know, they've got a half marathon goal, we know we can pretty much move straight into that. For someone else, they might have really bad knees which are preventing them from being able to participate in what they would really love to do later on. So the first step for them should be some sort of rehabilitation program to see how we can get on and move them down the track.
Speaker 2: Is there.
Speaker 3: I've to generalize, but is there an age where people are more inclined to seek, you know, a personal trainer, because obviously you're eighteen, nineteen, twenty twenty one year old. You know, they've got mates, been to the gym, they probably played sport. They're just going to rip in there with their mates.
Speaker 4: Whereas TikTok is a big I really plays a big part in that as well. Now really yeah, so in the younger age groups, might I've got daughters, you know, they both my fifteen year old she I noticed she starts she's looking more into exercise online. But you know the rise of influencers and there is to be fair.
Speaker 3: There'd be some good ones, but there'd be some rubbish ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, it's a bit of a minefield, like there's some really really good ones and just within the field. Obviously I sort of follow a lot of that sort of stuff myself, and there is I think over the last probably twelve months, there's been a rise in what you kind of I guess call the rise of sensible advice, where yeah, there's a sort of almost like a real attack or an exposing of the ones which are you know, look great but don't necessarily care about anything but themselves, or they don't have a lot of education or experience in training others.
Speaker 3: That's a trend that's creeping in that the internet's getting smarter, Yeah, getting more sensible.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, that's great. It's yeah, it's long overdue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will want to take your cause on this. And if you've got any questions for Alex, he's a personal trainer at body Talk and he's well known. He's been on You've been on TV. But Getting exports people to get back into shape. I can't remember what the name of that show was, match Fit, Match for that's the one.
Speaker 4: We've had four seasons of match Fit and we've just got a new one coming out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really is it all under wraps?
Speaker 4: It's under wraps, change of players, change of genders, still legendary. Exports now exports women from around about the same era that also won World Cups. A bit of stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm going to ask you off here and keep it to myself right. We'll be back in just moment. You got any questions for Alex, give us a call eight one hundred and eighty, ten to eighty. But also if you specifically want to contribute on one of the topics I've thrown out there. Have you bought a piece of home exercise equipment which is either fabulous and you swear, but and you've never looked back and it's changed your life or maybe not so much. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. It's twenty five past four.
Speaker 2: Oh, be had bells home. I'm behold with bells off, up the tree and round the presents. Time the Christmas newsical. It's Christmas Alby Hall with bells. I travel around this country across the water is dealing work me.
Speaker 3: You don't like some friends. You know what we use not joy ogla.
Speaker 2: It's Christmas time again and the a year is coming gold, and I can't dream bender how it longs out. So I'm bed with bells off. I'm behol with bells off do tree from the present time. Christmas Eve is gold.
Speaker 4: It's Christmas Alvey Home with bels.
Speaker 3: I'm ashamed to say that. Initially when I heard this, I was like, who the hell is this? And then my progesser says it's Dolly and Kenny. I was like, oh, how's this disgraceful? I didn't know that, and then I listen and I go, of course it's it's Dolly parton Kenny Kenny Rogers. Anyway, welcome back to show on Tim Beveriges is the weekend collective of the health Up. My guest is a personal trainer at body Talk and his name is Alex Flint, and we're talking about well, when do you need a personal trainer and why you know you can give us. We'd love to have your calls. If you've got any questions for Alex. Of course you can give us a call as well and just pick his brains on maybe an exercise issue or getting fit, or a well being issue you want to have a chat with him about. On eight hundred and eighty ten eighty, we had a bunch of texts to get into, so we'll start off with a few of those. Shaw we Alex, Oh, well here's one of us. We'll just read this out. I'm not sure if what was sent through by one of your friends or something, but it says hi, Tim a big shout out to Alex and the work he and his team do it body talk. He's been a supportive influence on my health journey. Dropped forty kilos. No longer Oh this is quite amazing. No longer a type too diabetic and now found the enjoyment and exercise the key good nutrition, setting, a realistic goal, no goal, no purpose, Realize you'll have ups and downs and surround yourself with positive like minded people. Stay consistent, and a coffee at five This is what you're talking about me in the break you said, a coffee at five thirty am gym class for mental health. Thanks Alex.
Speaker 4: That's some Tony to thank you. Tony. That's pretty awesome though, wasn't it. Yeah, he's an amazing fellow, Tony. He's done exceptionally well and he's an example of someone who's had clarity the whole time through. So he's very clear on what he needed to do. He had his assessments like we talked about, he knew what he needed to do and he just broke that down into micro goals and he's done nothing but achieve them all the way along.
Speaker 3: Is it easier to have a clarity and purpose when you he's mentioned there type two diabetes and things. When you've had a health whammy and you've it's very clarifying when you get news, isn't it.
Speaker 4: You'd like to think so, but anecdotally and just through personal experience, it doesn't work for everyone. So for a lot of people that actually almost makes them feel more helpless and they don't know what to do, so it can become actually quite a hindrance. You would like to think that, you know, if you get some diagnosis or some bad news, that that's the kickstart to you getting on and changing everything in your life. But unfortunately, know that, you know, health statistics don't don't work like that. So you've got to be driven and you've got to be motivated, and it's and it is really important to have good people around you.
Speaker 3: On the On the exercise equipment, by the way, which was your worst piece of exercise equipment? You said you had bought about a bunch of things. So I threw that up at the top at the top of the show because I love a good trivial topic. What was the worst piece of exercise equipment you bought?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a chess expander. Yeah, yeah, there was. I don't know if you remember, there was one.
Speaker 3: Called a bull worker, So that was the one where you had.
Speaker 4: The springs and you brought this brings together. Yeah, so that I was actually too much of a pipsqueak to even use it. It was too strong for me.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the best thing about the chest expander was when you know, boys were hitting that age where they're growing a bit of body here and they'd snags some chest hairs, and the chest expanderre chest. If you can open the thing up at all, it was just about pretty impossible to deal with. Somebody else that says here the abdominizer ad used to crack me up. The selling point was you'll never need another abdominal I can't even say it, you'll never need another abdominal product. As if obviously they're they're marketing to people who buy everything that's on the infomercials on't they Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. The statistics are that home exercise equipment this is a few years old, and we're talking about equipment that has brought off infomercials is used long term less than ten percent. So if you buy it, there's a ninety percent chance that you'll probably use it less than three times.
Speaker 3: But that makes sense on me, doesn't it. Imagine if you met someone who was like, how I bought the abdominis, I use it every day and literally if they like postles on that, it's changed my life. Now, actually, let's get into this thing about for people who are wanting to get into a new exercise regime, what is an accessible way to deal with it? Where Because a lot of people, cost is relevant, and there are those who can afford to have a personal trainer, you know, every session or every third session every week, But what are the pragmatically, what are the practical ways of getting some good in put so you don't ruin yourself on your first outing.
Speaker 4: There is probably the most simple way to do it is just to start by looking inwardly at what is it that you think is missing in terms of bringing you up to being a healthier version of you. So, first of all, obviously you're going to be you know what your your goals are, and then the very first thing is just sitting down and saying, Okay, where do I need to get to and how am I going to get there? So if that might be that you can simply start with something like walking or running or going outside, then that's fantastic. If you have something which is maybe dealing with injury, or you have you know, you have some goals about maybe running a half marathon, or you know some people that want to step on stage and challenge themselves and do something, you know, a physique contest, then there's a need. There's a need for you to get professional help pretty quickly. But going back to when is it time to have a personal trainer, I think the number one thing is can you be self motivated? And if you can be self motivated, there is a lot of information out there now. There's a lot of relatively low cost programs that you can purchase or even download for free off the internet that will get you started. And then from there it really depends. I mean, you've just got to look at how you're going. You know, if things are tracking well, then there's no need to fork out big dollars to get someone for professional help. But if you feel like you're stagnating, or you're getting injured, or you don't know what to do, then that's when you've got to look at it.
Speaker 3: I think, I mean, I think the thing is also knowing how hard you know what pain is good pain. Oh, I don't mean pain, but you know discomfort. And I would have thought usually when you once you've got yourself into the routine of exercising, that most people probably don't work hard enough. There'll be the odd extreme where somebody is absolutely cooking themselves. But I mean, people say, listen to your body. But every time I've worked with a personal trainer, if my memory saved me correctly, they were usually like, I think we're going to add another ten percent of that term. Oh, I think you'll add a bit more weight to that. And I'm like, it's hard already. And then they add a bit more and you're like okay, and still do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So progressive overload is the number one concept when it comes to exercise progression, performance and long term achievement. So if we think about our body loves to maintain equilibrium where we are right now, if we do nothing, we'll go backwards because our body is very efficient at getting rid of anything that we're not using, be that muscle tissue, be that aerobic fitness. On the same way, if we don't continue to challenge ourselves sensibly over time through progressive overload, we're going to find that we don't keep getting better. And there is a lot of cases where we have people that will go to a gym that you know, they're through no bad ill or not wanting anything other than the best for themselves, but they're going through the same process, the same motions, over and over again, not really getting anywhere. So we have to challenge our bodies over time, having saying that we shouldn't be having to walk into the gym every time and then you know, dragging or crawling out. Exactly. It needs to be enjoyable, but we need to find ways, you know, so that that might be a little bit more training, it might be a little bit harder training, or it might be just some smart ways to get you know, some more.
Speaker 3: Effective after well, we're going to go to a corner, but remind we've got to talk about dom's because that's the one where you think you've probably cooked yourself, but it's possibly unavoidable for that first workout or two. Let's go to Matt.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hey, Tim and Alex. I'm kind of similar age. You're going going through the getting fitter thing because you know you're worried about your health, but I just enjoyed the match foot shows, and I was very sad that when el Inger the Winger passed on after one of them. In hindsight, Alex, do you think he might have pushed himself a bit hard for his health?
Speaker 4: Yeah? May you rest in peace. It was very very tragic what happened. So just a background, Inger worked incredibly hard. He had lost about twenty kilograms before the show even started. He switched off his so he put his type two diabetes into remission. He's cardiovascular these cardiovascular health was a lot lot better. Did he push himself too hard? The health implications that he had potentially were very very long term and it was one of those it's very hard to know. Obviously, behind the scenes with all of these types of shows, he was closely monitored through his exercise. He had medical professionals with him the whole way, and probably you know, there's an element on television where things are sensationalized a little bit, but he was very much exercising within his own means. You know, he wasn't being pushed too hard. So did exercise contribute to him getting a lot healthier than he had been over the last sort of ten fifteen years. Absolutely, But yeah, it's just very very unfortunately.
Speaker 3: I guess the question around that is matter's just that it's about if you are middle aged and you'll get get into something that's not that common, you know, you've fallen out of the habit. It's just about how do you manage it so and we can talk about the extremes that risks that people take, but just how do you manage it so you don't hurt yourself?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and back to the whole assessment and making sure that the whole way through that you're very aware. So one of the things that's really important if you are middle aged and you're getting back into it is use hard rate monitors and also go and get a full doctor's check up before you start. So those two things will you keep you safe to start with, because obviously hopefully you've got a decent idea of where your health is. And then number two, keeping your heart rate within healthy zones. Just make sure that you're not overdoing it. And unfortunately there is an inherent risk with any type of exercise, but you know, it's very very minimal.
Speaker 3: More about managing risk. I mean, life's about managing risks. I mean you go out for a ride on your bike and there's a risk not just within your own body.
Speaker 4: M M. Yeah, it's a hard one.
Speaker 3: But yeah, thanks for call Matt. We take going to take quick moment. It's nineteen minutes to five News Talks.
Speaker 4: He'd be tons of shakes. It's kind of Chevy sixty nine, How was on?
Speaker 2: How I was on? How was on?
Speaker 1: Destination?
Speaker 2: And no one as we've won them for some gas, especially placed the post reveals a.
Speaker 3: Smile on the back. Gosh, time's flying on this our news talks it b We're with Alex Flint talking about personal trainers and and we've been having a bit of a fun chat about just the worst of a piece of exercise equipment you you ever bought? Harold? Hello, how are you guys? Good?
Speaker 4: Thanks Harold?
Speaker 5: Okay, now I'm eating two and going on to the eighty three And and as you said, you have to see your workout routine as you get older. But one thing I wanted to ask is please sell this pre workout powder. And I've been taking some call and I'll explode.
Speaker 3: Is that worth my pre workout powder? What's it called?
Speaker 5: They're no explode, no explode.
Speaker 3: Alex?
Speaker 4: Yes, So is that tell us a little bit more about why why do you take that before before you work out?
Speaker 5: Well, it gives me a little bit more of a boot will I before I work out? Before I I don't eat anything before I work out, So I have a cup of coffee. Then I have that and I'll explode and it gives me a little bit better routine. But I don't know if it's harming me or not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's look at the reason that you're taking is the right reason. The jury is out a little bit on the long term safety and efficacy of using them. So they're largely a really big shot of caffeine and then a few other supplements in with them on the side. So one of the problems with them can really excuse me dramatically raise your blood pressure, So as someone in your eighties, you would want to just be aware of where your blood pressure is at. And then yeah, so there's I actually trained an endochronologist and he said that one of the things that he is very adverse to is pre workout powders for that reason that they're just they can be too much of a stimulant. But having said that, you know, a cup of coffee is a great way to get a little bit more energy, but you just have got to be careful about yea.
Speaker 3: What time do you work out, Harold?
Speaker 5: I like to work out after I have my get up, I have my corvee, I wear coak two hours and until after two hours, then I do a workout in the morning. Okay, and I like Friday, then two, Thursday, Saturday three.
Speaker 4: Fantastic, awesome.
Speaker 3: How long have you been taking this powder for? Are you? Were you about to take it?
Speaker 5: No, I've been taking it now for a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, you're probably out of the risk of giving yourself a caffeine shock. I don't know, but.
Speaker 4: There's there's In the last few years there has actually been a rise of non caffeinated pre workout drinks, which slightly if you have a look into those, if you just get online and have a look at and non caffeinated ones. Yeah, yeah, and they'll still give you a you know, a boosting energy and something, but potentially might just be that little bit safer.
Speaker 3: What it be better just to have a banana or something?
Speaker 4: Not really the hit doesn't hit you like a coffee does.
Speaker 3: No, I know, but you know it feel safer.
Speaker 4: A banana you know, yeah, definitely. Yeah, when how.
Speaker 3: Long before you work out should you have something to eat just get you through? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean if you're looking to build muscle or create an environment where you're going to have good performance, you want to be eating within an hour of exercise, just not huge amounts of food. But then having said that, some people love to fast before they exercise. Do that, you know, their exercise fast and not necessarily that great for fat loss, but they'll do it for one reason or another. But yeah, nutrition around training can really hype up, and.
Speaker 3: So it can actually make a difference because I've always thought it was just because the gym's there and you're in there and the exercise frame of mind you see no explode or whatever it is, or the latest protein powder where it's like, just have a decent breakfast, a decent lunch, and a decent dinner and.
Speaker 4: Then yeah, that's number one. Nutrition breakfast, lunch, dinner, that snacks is most important. One of the things that I have a discussion with a lot with people is are you leaning on this because you've got no energy? Like, is it something that's just don't have the energy that you should do? So Number one for that is sleep. How do you sleep? And if that's so, that's where we're looking at. So if you've got an energy problem, no one in the world has as a lack of pre workout floating around in their bloodstream. There's some other reason for it.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, let's actually tell you what We'll take a quick break. Can come back in just a moment. It's eleven minutes two five news talks.
Speaker 4: It be.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to news. It's talk, there'd be. This is the weekend collective of the Health Hub. My guest is Alex Flint from Body Talk. That's Body Talk with a T O r que. Look them up on the web and actually I just typed him body Talking bingo there. It was a few texts. Actually, Alex should be pleased to know this person had a bullworker where we were using it one night in the bedroom and the cable snapped. It shot through the fluorescent light, which exploded, sounded like a bomb went off. We got a hiding. I'm guessing this is from someone who was a teenager at the time. Worst things you could have been doing in your bedroom. Hi, first time Jim Garrett sixty personal trainer all the way, So I stayed safe, didn't hurt myself eight years later, so fit lost weight. Private gym one on one regards Barbara. So there we go, and worst bit of jim gear the Chuck Norris total gym put all sorts of stress in all the wrong places. Best kit of a bit of kit at home as a rower, closely followed by an assault bike. H well a bike yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so AsSalt bike is the one with the movable arms. They are fantastic. Yeah. I think it's you know, if you're going to have something at home, having a bit of gear which is bang for your buck, you know you don't need to spend a lot of time on it. It's going to be something that holds up long term, it's not going to fall apart, and it's actually nice to be on. So a lot of the cheap stuff it just doesn't feel like a good exercise experience. So on as salt bike, a normal bike, a treadmill, a rower, they're all things that you know, they stand the test of time and it's all effective exercise.
Speaker 3: Okay, quite a few questions here. We're going to see if we can squeeze a couple of answers out for ladies. Over fifty and going through menopause gained a few kilos. What would you recommend And they've given a choice here, pilates, yoga or a boot camp.
Speaker 4: It's a difficult one. Exercise is not the way that you're going to lose weight. Protein in take strength training their number one and two when it comes to getting through menopause. The things that you need to really focus on is bone density, keeping your muscle, and doing that on the other side, you're going to be a lot healthier and probably in a position where you're going to be able to lose weight and just be in better shape. So whether it's a boot camp, whether it's pilates, it's more so the overall putting those other things.
Speaker 3: Does menopause actually affect the way your body absorbs and nutrients and food and everything?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 4: Yep. So there's big changes in musculo skeletal health through menopause, and there's also changes in the way that we can Actually it's called anabolic resistance, so women start to struggle to uptake the protein that they're eating, so that needs to go up. Yeah, So the type of exercise should be the one that you enjoy the most, because if you enjoy it, there's more chance that you're going to stick with it. But you've really got to look at it like, what are the things which are most important rather than which exercise should I choose? So it's protein intake, some form of resistance training which you can get from any one of those three.
Speaker 3: Actually, okay, we've got about a minute left. No pain, no gain true or false.
Speaker 4: In the middle, we definitely need to go through some discomfort, I would say, but pain absolutely not joint pain. Pain which makes you feel like you are over exerting yourself or you're doing too much, is very demotivating, and it's also a big risk of injury. So we should be over time challenging ourselves with being a little bit outside of our comfort zones, but safely.
Speaker 3: Difficult to have a decent T shirt though, no pain, no gain is a good one, But no discomfort.
Speaker 4: No, no discomfort some of the time.
Speaker 3: Maybe you should make it up using the font using one of those exercise sort of aggressive fonts, so it looks cool. It just has a slightly more subtle and sophisticated message.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just don't know if anyone can get what progressive overload meant. That's really what I.
Speaker 3: But no progressive overload. I think just just cram up the fonts and get and have the body talk over at the bottom.
Speaker 4: Job done. See how it goes? Ok?
Speaker 3: Mate, Hey Alex, thanks so much for your time. Mate, great Devin the studio, Thanks very much for having me on. Yeah, Merry Christmas too. You know we can say that now it's first of December. You know we're looking into and I can say it because next time I'll see you'll be in the New year.
Speaker 4: Probably absolutely, And remember everyone, it's not what you do between Christmas and New Year's accounts, it's what you do between New Years and the next Christmas.
Speaker 3: We could have just talked about that right through the show, but maybe we'll do that next year years resolutions x way. Anyway, body talk, go and look them up on the web and we'll be back shortly with Smart Money and Madame Morales in the studio.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to news Talk ZB weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.