Speaker 1: Kyotra. I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. It's that time of year again where we debate where the New Zealanders should be allowed to let off fireworks fire in emergency. New Zealand is among those opposed, saying they know first hand how dangerous fireworks can be. Last year was the worst year for fireworks related fires since twenty seventeen, with one hundred and sixty six unwanted blazers. Fireworks sales are restricted to a four day period from November two to fifth each year, but there are growing calls for that to be scrapped entirely. Later we'll chat to the spca's Scientific Officer, Dr Allison Vaughan on how to protect our animals from fireworks. But first on the front page, bire an Emergency. New Zealand Readiness and Recovery National Manager Adrian Nacy is with us. Adrian Fens has made a submission supporting several petitions calling for a ban on the public sale of fireworks. What prompted the agency to support.
Speaker 2: This Yes, so the use of fireworks to the public odds worth I guess Fire and Emergencies PRINCIPALITYTIVES, which is to keep people, property and the environment safe from the risk of unwanted fire. So we've got a few different things we do to try and keep people safe from fire. And putting further restrictions on the sale of fireworks to the general public would help that, then we would absolutely support it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how significant is the risk of fireworks related fire has been in recent years?
Speaker 2: Yes, so we get about one hundred and seventy fireworks related callouts each year and these range from small fires that are really easy for us to put out, fruit fires that burned for several days, tying up our resources.
Speaker 1: Now, do you have any examples of situations that perhaps have gotten a bit out of hand.
Speaker 3: We've got a couple.
Speaker 2: We had a significant fire down in Pegasus in North Canterbury on the second of November in twenty twenty two, so that's the day that fireworks went on sale. So fireworks we set off at the beach there and got into the pine plantation and got out of control. So that burned for around two hundred hectares of pine forest and also some native regenerating forests.
Speaker 3: Of the local community had planted.
Speaker 2: We had to evacuate the community of wood End in the middle of the night, putting people into evacuation centers, evacuating people from the campground, and also a horse stud. That fire took us about five days to put out. We had it out eventually by about the seventh of November. We're our crew could be released from that and at one cost over four hundred thousand dollars for us to deal with. And there's a big kind of what we call a campaign fire. We've also had a couple of pretty significant nights for fireworks incidents. We had a particularly windy and hot years at the end of twenty twenty two and in the middle of the night on years at one point we were responding to fifteen fires that I can see by fireworks at the same time, for communities, that's not where they want our crews in the middle of the night they want them.
Speaker 3: They're responding where they need them.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: And I remember when I moved here from Australia. I was and I saw the fireworks being sold on the side of the road around this time of the year. I was just like how and why, because obviously Australia is like just a tinder box everywhere. So in my mind, I think it's insane that there is a public sale of fireworks. Why do you think there still is this in New Zealand? Do you guys just like blowing stuff up?
Speaker 2: Look, that's that's not for me to really comment. It's like why they're still still being sold. We do see, like at the end of November, where we are, at the end of October, sorry, where we are at the moment. We've already had some really significant fires in the last couple of weeks, obviously not caused by fireworks, but it does show that conditions and parts of the country are right for these fires getting out of control and causing some really significant damage to communities, which is what we're trying to stop.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Do you think everyone who lets off fireworks does in fact check the conditions first?
Speaker 3: I don't think so, that's not what we see.
Speaker 2: We see people setting them off when it's hot, dry and windy, which is what we're trying to avoid. We've got a really good website called chickens Right dot m Z. You can go on there and you can get some fire safety tips, not just for fireworks. Fires are looking to light in the outdoors, but you can also check both the fire danger and the fire weather, and you can also look for any bands where you are at that time or coming up in the future.
Speaker 3: So that's chickens, right, Dot and Z.
Speaker 2: We really are asking people to cheat the conditions if they are planning to set off fireworks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, does fans actually roster more people on nights, say like guy fawks or New Year's orff something like that for this exact reason.
Speaker 3: It's a good question.
Speaker 2: We maintain like a really constant state of readiness to respond to whatever our communities need us for any day, in any hour of the year. So we don't have to roster people on over guy fawks on years. We just respond to what we're required to.
Speaker 1: So where can't people set off fireworks? Presumably the beach given what happened down in Pegasus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the beaches.
Speaker 2: So you do need the land owners permission to set off fireworks, So on your own property, you know that if there's no restriction in place, that's okay. Most of the councils around the country have firework bands in place for public areas like parks, beaches. Obviously, Department of Conservation areas are an absolutely no go for setting off fireworks, but you do need that landowner's permission, and certainly most councils have banned fireworks we see off in public places like parks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess celebrating guy fawks with a barbecue and some firecrackers is a long held tradition for many ki We families. What are some other ways perhaps we could celebrate if a band does come into effect? Do you think? Have you seen so many good ideas from overseas?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's some great public displays.
Speaker 2: I know here in Wellington the Speedway puts on a pretty impressive fireworks display every year, and there's some really great fundraising displays put on as well. So maybe got opportunity to get and then support your community that way and leaving the fireworks enhance the professionals is always our preference.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Does fans actually work with councils and stuff on those public fireworks displays to make sure it's all safe?
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a system that we go through to approve what we call pyrotechnic displays. They're slightly different to your retail fireworks, a bit more vergulan exciting, So we work with the people that set those.
Speaker 1: Off, sort of like a Metallica concert or something. I assume that there's some pyrotechniques there. Do you consult them as well?
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we work with them and they often safety regulated, work safe as well.
Speaker 1: So obviously there's no ban in place yet. But what are the precautions for people that they can ensure that it's all safe and above board at home.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's some good, basic common sense steps you can take. So the first one is picking where you're going to see your fireworks, So have them in a wide open space away from anything that can catch fire, dry grass trees in your house.
Speaker 3: Have them pointing towards the sky.
Speaker 2: I don't point them towards other people or animals or anything that can can set fire. Make sure you've got something to put them out or put fires out if they do a curse. They have a garden hose or a bucket nearby. Keep your kids, your kids or your pets and your animals away. Be a good neighbor, have a chat to your community if you're going to set off fireworks. Some people can find them distressing, and animals that they want to look after the same.
Speaker 3: Chanty neighbors, and last thing.
Speaker 2: Make sure they're out before you put them in the bin, So check them in a bucket of water, let them all cool down, then just post them.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Thanks for joining us, Adrian.
Speaker 5: All right, Chelsea, Yeah, I mean I think drone shows are safer than fireworks. They're more environmentally friendly and they're also quieter, so you your pets can watch, the vets can watch without PTSD. My partner, Michelle, her husband, actually is a veteran, and you know, she says that the benefits of drones shows are just amazing for our vets, you know, not to mention they're just way safer as you're mentioning, as you're saying now. So I think that that, combined with the fact that you can get the stunning formations in the night sky, is really why you're seeing the uptick in drone shoes.
Speaker 1: So there are alternatives, and as we heard, drone shows offer a safer, quieter option, and that's good news not just for people, but for animals too. To talk about the impact fireworks have on pets and wildlife, we're joined by spca's Scientific Officer, doctor Allison Vaughan. So, Allison, it'll come as no surprise to anyone that animals aren't huge fans of fireworks, and I guess that would make it a very busy time of year for the SPCA.
Speaker 4: Hey yeah, Well, we know that from surveys in New Zealand that up to seventy five percent of cats and dogs are frightened of fireworks, and also other animals like horses, can not only be frightened, but often quite often seriously injured. When we think of the likes of that poor horse Remy last year, this can have very serious consequences, so we're definitely not fans of it. Typically we don't see too many animals coming in necessarily beause most people take them to their vets if they're injured. But we do know there are a lot more lost animals because often they panic and run off and it could be really challenging for people to get their animals back home.
Speaker 1: What happened to Remy the horse last year?
Speaker 4: So last year, very sadly the Remy, a Thoroughbred horse, became entangled in a fence as a result of panicking due to fireworks and had to be euthanized. And this is something that actually a New Zealand study found that twenty six percent of horse owners reported their animals being injured due to panic caused by fireworks. So it's very serious consequences we're seeing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have any data or examples, I suppose in recent years that show how wide spread these incidents are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, as I said, that was twenty six percent of horse owners who said that their animals had been injured as a result. In terms of animals that are that had collisions and things with fences, we're looking at like thirty five percent. So this is a very common and very predictable but also very avoidable suffering for animals.
Speaker 1: And it's not just the injuries of course as well. The noise alone can distress animals a lot, but that can make it pretty hard for us to comprehend what they're going through. I can only imagine, you know, them looking up at the sky and thinking that the world's going to cave in on them because they're like, what is this sound? Is there any human experience that's comparable I suppose to what animals might be experienced.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I suppose we do. Know some people are also impacted by fireworks and find it very traumatic. So I think we don't have to reach too far to try and understand what they might be going through. And a big part of the issue is we're often told what it's one night, or it's you know, they're only on sale for four days. The reality is people can stock while fireworks and let them off any day at night, and that makes it so hard for pet owners to keep their animals safe.
Speaker 1: How can pet owners keep their animals safe?
Speaker 4: That is such a great question. It's really important that we know while people can let them off at anytime, most people will be letting them off after diark, So make sure you're exercising your dogs earlier than usual, getting them inside the house so safe and secured. Same with your cats. Make sure if they are allowed to go outside in roam, that they're safely contained before the fireworks start. And then there's things you can do in the home to muffle the noise. For example, last year, we collaborated for the first time with ourn Z Concert to put on a concert for animals with soothing music for pets and their owners, and we'll be doing that again this year, and that can help just hide some of them, muffle some of the noises, but also help soothe ah.
Speaker 1: That's a really good idea. I'm going to check it on from my cat April. I mean, even the thunder and lightning the other week in Auckland got her going. So giving them that so that you just kind of need to give them because you wish that you can explain what's happening to them, right, you know, she's so and she's trying to protect me from the thunder and lend the loud noises and you just kind of want to be like, I'm so sorry. So giving them kind of another avenue to look at or listen to a good idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and making sure you're home. I mean, I would say that's one of the most important things, to make sure they don't hurt themselves due to panic. We know a lot of New Zealands really care about this issue, and you'll be aware of the petitions currently before the Select Committee. That has been we get petitions for fireworks very often sadly without concrete action, but this has been the highest number of signatures we've seen yet. And we'll actually be traveling down Dwelling to next week to present the sect Committee to try and get an end to this madness. We can't keep doing this.
Speaker 1: Why do you think there's still for sale in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: That is a very good question. So to be clear that New Zealand doesn't have an issue with notified public displays, so where the communities can come together and enjoy fireworks. What we have a problem with is the retail sales. So we're the private sale and use of these fireworks where anyone can decide to let off explosives at any time of day or night on any given day, and that's a real issue. So that's what we want to see addressed.
Speaker 1: What should someone do if because it's not only domesticated pets and animals. Hey, you've got the horses obviously we've spoken about, but also wildlife. What should someone do if you see an injured bird or wildlife?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is we often see an empathize with their own animals in the home and it can be really distressing. But I'm from the UK, where a guy fox is in the autumn. Here in New Zealand it is in the spring when our vulnerable native birds are breeding. Some of them are sitting on the nests, some of them have young, and there's really good scientific evidence to show that fireworks can actually cause big disruptions to the behavior of these birds can also cause nest abandonment, disrupt feeding, and sadly there's not a lot we can do to protect them while we have our current rules in place.
Speaker 1: Would tighter regulation rather than a full band be acceptable or would it even work?
Speaker 4: I suppose what we're looking for is thing that's a practical compromise, which is allowing notified licensed public displays. We think that allows people the fun and enjoyment whilst also minimizing the harms, rather than we're not pushing for an outright ban on all fireworks, although we have seen several councils adopt alternatives, so drone shows, laser shows, which can be really a great alternative without the negative side effects.
Speaker 1: And so obviously this isn't a new conversation. We have this conversation essentially every year around this time when they're out for public sale. What do you think needs to happen for this to go ahead or for the public sale band to go ahead? Or do you think we're getting quite close?
Speaker 4: Well, it's interesting because Minister Greg Fleming, who received the petition, he actually said that perhaps we were approaching a tipping point. But I have to say, the scientific evidence on the harms incredibly robust. It's not just animal welfare. We've also got police and foreign emergency also pushing for a ban. We know that actually there are great alternatives that would allow people the same enjoyment. We know that this is the most people that have ever signed petitions calling for a ban. I'd kind of ask, what more can it possibly take before we finally see some proper action on this, because the status call cannot be allowed to continue.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for joining us, Allison.
Speaker 4: That's quite a right great chat.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at nzherld dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Jane Ye and Richard Martin, who is also our editor. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the Front Page on iHeartRadio or where you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.