Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident build Up podcast with Peter wolf Camp from News Talks at Bay.
Speaker 2: A house is a hole even when it stars, even when the grass is overgrown in the yard, even when the dog is too old to bar, and when you're sitting at the table trying not to start and scissor home, even when weave a band ball, even.
Speaker 3: When you're there alone. A house is a hole, even when those goes, even when you got around from the world. You love you more.
Speaker 2: Streams being in fund.
Speaker 4: Locals, Vesta when they're going the.
Speaker 2: House, even when we ban, even when you're.
Speaker 3: In there alone.
Speaker 5: Well, a very good morning and welcome along to the Resident Builder on Sunday. You're with me Peak wolf Camp, the Resident Builder, and we are talking all things building construction. It's it's the legislation, it's the products, it's the assembly, it's the disassembly. We can talk demolition and demolition, waste and waste minimization and the carbonize. My head is a little bit full because I was in Wellington yesterday. It's not full because I was in Wellington, but I was working on a little presentation around wide is Good matter and it was prompted by a bit of thinking over the last couple of weeks or months, I guess around, you know, sort of justifying and arguing for better building practice, like why does it actually matter to build better? So yeah, a head full of ideas. Anyway, Good morning, welcome along to the show. Trust that you're well and hope it's been a good week. Looking forward to chatting with you this morning about all things building and construction. We're also going to introduce a I suppose a new expert guest to the lineup this morning as well, so after eight o'clock will take some time to talk about ventilation. And I guess the reason I wanted to bring up ventilation and talk about it very specifically is a lot of discussion about ventilating houses. Correctly, given that most of our houses don't sort of ventilate incidentally and accidentally like they might have done in the past, we're talking about houses that are increasingly air tight, still a long way from sort of passive house standard air tightness, but increasingly airtight and air quality and indoor air quality controlling moisture, controlling mold, these sorts of things are really really important in our houses. So Storm Harpham, who I met, I was introduced to her actually through a LinkedIn article a couple of months ago where it was a rebuttal let's say, to the proposed changes to wind back the new H one changes. And I read through the article and I thought, gosh, this is really technical information presented in a way that is quite digestible for most of us, myself included. Anyway, we've talked on a number of occasions. I've sought her advice on a couple of issues around sort of mold and mildew inside a property that I look after. And so I'm going to bring her onto the show today at around just after eight o'clock this morning. So Storm Harpham is we're going to talk all things of ventilation, specifically. If you've got any specific questions on that, you feel free to send them through now. Otherwise I've already got a whole heap of questions for here. Up until then, it is your opportunity to talk all things building, whatever element it is, whether like I say, it's the legislation, it's the doing, it's the products, it's the disputes. And I went along and had a look at one property that was kind of in dispute this week so sometimes it goes well and sometimes it doesn't. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. You can text as well. That's nine two nine two was zbzb from your mobile phone. And if you'd like to send me an email, you're more than welcome. It's Pete atnewstalksb dot co dot nz. So eleven minutes after six ian A very good morning.
Speaker 6: What I can't understand about construction is why they cost the materials are so expensive, compete with Australia and why did Labor promise to build one hundred thousand houses when they knew they couldn't Because there's not only that's carbonders and electricians and trades people to too many people doing ba's and b comms. It's not enough bscs and you know we're training the wrong thing. Yeah, what I can't stand it.
Speaker 5: Don't get me stated on kew we build. I'm still kind of peeved about the whole thing. I'd probably use other language in another situation. So, yes Ki Build was an utter disaster and all of the justifications that came afterwards were pathetic.
Speaker 6: And they still aren't really doing any better, are they?
Speaker 5: Well arguably no, but they never said that they would, right, So you know, that was the bit that got me is that from what I understand of that policy, and I really don't want to read litigate it here, is that it was kind of like sitting in the car going to a meeting, thinks up an idea, let's build one hundred thousand and ten years. Suddenly it's policy. And I remember, you know, being an industry meetings and that sort of thing beforehand. Could we do this, No, we couldn't. It was it was pine in the sky, nonsense. Right In terms of housing affordability, I mean, I think that that look, that's a massively intricate question to answer, but one of the things that we do need to accept here is that we are a small island at the bottom of the world with very few people in it, right, and yet what we want is what everybody else has got. Yeah, you know, so you know, we don't have I don't think, by comparison to other countries, tremendously high building standards, but we also don't have terribly low building standards. So there's a lot of compliance costs, there's a lot of emphasis on building better, which I would support. I think one of the things that we haven't accepted as a population, as a consumer base is we can't keep building one off, right, So you know, for no, no, no, Right up until probably I don't know, maybe a little under ten years ago, the model for sort of expanding our cities was a developer would buy some land, they would carve that up into sections, and they'd sell the sections to individual builders. And when I started building with Tom thirty something years ago, that's exactly what we were doing, right. He'd find a piece of land, we'd build a house on it. We'd go out, we'd get it specifically designed, we'd go off and talk to all the product suppliers and all the rest. Everything was individual and bespoke. Now there's no efficiencies in that. Right Whereas I went to and without this being a plug for simplicity living, but I went to one of their developments earlier this year now they're doing it was a fifty one unit development on a single site. They went from excavation to finished in fifty two weeks, so in one year, right, And they've they've they've built them to I think a very high standard and they were completely and utterly finished in one year. And one of the things about them is that they have a sort of not quite modular approach, but it's repetitive.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: They're production, not construction. There are i think off the top of my head, four different window sizes, right, not thirty or forty different window sizes. There are a couple of basic kitchen plans. So when you're going to a manufacturer and saying make me one hundred and fifty windows and they're all the same size, they're going to be cheaper than one hundred and fifty windows that are all different sizes. So you know, we're and then you know, whenever you say this, people go, oh, you, but think about England and that and all those rows of tiki techi houses and all the.
Speaker 8: Rest of it.
Speaker 5: Well, it's kind of like you can't have your cake and eat it too. So you know, if we are going to have affordability, we're going to have sort of mass production. We're going to have regularity, We're going to have less of the bespoke and more of the producing.
Speaker 6: We need a central planning. The thing we're near liberal economics that were brought in the nineteen eighty four, and I think it's a disaster and moldoing was a socialist, and then labor was so right wing, and then roots in Asia and the cult of the individual and real estate agents are killing property developers. You know, the little man can't win. The little man can't win because the cost of rates and insurance and everything goes up in the price of food and we make food for forty million people, yet we pay export prices for our meat and our dairy and.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I mean, look, there's an argument around there. I and I could talk to you all day, and genuinely I could, and I love the debate around, you know, kind of the big picture stuff around construction. But we'll try and find because I'm actually getting some stuff done. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Text New Zealand has not grasped the fact that our mindset needs to change, We need to change our attitude towards housing. I would agree. I think there's a lot more to that statement, obviously from the text, And thank you for your text. Yeah, you know, what does housing affordability look like? It looks like standardization. And you know, the next kind of response to that is often yeah, but that's boring. Okay, So it's boring. You know, it's boring, but it's housing. It's boring, but it might be affordable, and it doesn't necessarily have to be boring, but it does need to be efficient, and efficiencies tend to be through repetition. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call Jim. Good morning to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, good morning, Pete. They spoke to you a few weeks ago about where my boundary fence was in the wrong place. Yes, and what we've found now, so we've gone through a process of sorting it out. But we've got the plans now where when the builder built the shed on the property, and it actually shows on the plan that it should be one meter from the true boundary, not one meter from where the fence is now and three meters from the house, whereas an actual fact that it's four meters from the house. So who was responsible for that? When?
Speaker 5: When was the shed built?
Speaker 7: Eight year or approximately eight years ago? We've only just discovered all this problems recently.
Speaker 5: And did you have the shed built or was it there when.
Speaker 7: You Yeah, no, no, we had it built there. Okay, So on the planet shows and we didn't have the plan a few a short time ago. So I've only just recently got the plan actually from a copy from the councilor Yes, it shows the plan as the building should be one meter from the true boundary. Yeah, and I've actually had a survey person round to have a look and say, yes, that's true where it should be. But of course an actual faith they've taken one meter from the sisting fence, which was in the wrong pace. So who's technically wrong?
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, I think hm, the fact that so the building consent was issued you think sometime around two thousand and twenty sixteen. Okay, that's not the dim dark past, right, So it was common practice what it is now, and it was certainly then to have to determine the boundary and then prove the loco that Typically when you know, the first inspection is you've established your boundary, you've done your earthworks and site works and you know dug the footings. Let's say you're ready to pull the slab. Council inspector comes out and one of the things that they'll ask for is either evidence of where the boundary is, like can you show me the boundary pegs and prove to me that it's in the right place, or you provide the inspector with a citing certificate from a surveyor who's come out to determine that the building is in the right place. And so somehow your building got built without either of those two checks being undertaken. So, and given that it's only eight years ago, the contractor who did the work is probably still responsible for it. Now they might say, well, look, we were not told where the boundary was, but I would still probably argue that it is their responsibility to do that. And they could say, well, council signed it off, in which case you could go back to council and say, well, hang on, how come you guys didn't pick this up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well I've had to talk to the councilor said no to it, which I can, and they.
Speaker 5: On what basis did they say no to it?
Speaker 7: Well, I say it's not not their responsibility, and and it does say they're on the original thing that it's up to the owner and the builder to determine where the boundaries are. So they get out of that little loophole there. But the only thing is that when we built this shed, that was built by a franchise person. So does that take it and that franchise person or company now is gone. So yeah, does that take it away from the original company?
Speaker 5: Well no, this is no, it doesn't. And this is the whole point of the licensed building practitioner scheme. Right, So one something in the file that you've got, there will be the name of an LBP, right who would have put in? It's an individual, right, you can't company can not be a licensed building practitioner. So it will be an individual and they will have responsibility for it. So I would track that person down and if they are still currently registered, you would certainly have a conversation with them. I think even if they weren't registered, they still hold some responsibility for their building work for ten years after they've done it, and something like not putting it in the right place could ultimately still be their responsibility. I feel a bit bad for them, but it doesn't mean that that's not their responsibility.
Speaker 7: So the person that, as I say, was a franchise and now that person has gone.
Speaker 5: Yes, as in the company has gone, but there will be on the I presume the building if it got a building consent, it also has a code compliant certificate. On the code compliance certificate will be the LBP details for the builder right now. That might the person who did the slab might be a different LBP to the person who did the building, but there will be an LBP on there and I would pursue them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, okay, all right, thank you.
Speaker 5: Let us know here you get on, Jim, thanks for the update. All right, thank you all best bye and then we'll take short break. It is twenty two minutes after six eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call your news talks B. Actually, it was nice to caught up with life for Sola down at the Wellington Home and Garden Show, which is still on today by the way, at sky see the Ousaronot sky City sky Stadium in Wellington. So I was in Wellington yesterday. Delightful flight back home as well on in New Zealand with a very lovely Kevin crewmember who, while wandering down the aisle goes, oh, hello, mister Wolfcamp, you're working tomorrow morning. So I'm working tomorrow morning. Good, she said, I'll tune in and listen. So a very good morning to you as well and to all of the crew that were on the flight. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call Charles. Good morning to you, Hi, Peter.
Speaker 9: My problem is an old fleach of brown built roof nineteen sixties meant so you don't get too much rust down there, but I've got patches of rust in it. Can I use a rust converter and then paint over it? The roof's been unpainted all those years?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 10: Why not?
Speaker 5: I mean, look, if the ruster is, you know, starting to bubble or eat all the way through, then maybe you need to look at either repair or replacement. And to be fair, a nineteen sixties roof, like my nineteen sixties knees may need some replacement, right so you know you'll be able to eke out an extra couple of years. But yeah, you could do, you know, treat the rust, put another coat of paint on it. That'll certainly do it. There's interestingly enough, there's there's a couple of products that have come onto the market recently which are like a thick viscous membrane which has sprayed over the top of old roofs as well. So if you wanted to spend a bit more money, you could get contractor and the do that type of thing.
Speaker 9: Can you recommend the prom product that I can just paint on the patches.
Speaker 5: Paint on patches. You sound like me back in the eighties cutting up my T shirt and putting it over the holes and the roof that I was painting. I think that actually worked quite well. By the way. Look, I wouldn't recommend that, partly because I went through a lot of T shirts while I was painting. There's not in terms of patches, there's really no recommended way of doing that.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: So you could try and patch the sheets with another sheet of tin and sort of a bead of sealant, but often they just become a damn at a certain stage. Can I say with the graves to respect the roof has served you well, maybe you need to just look at replacing the roof.
Speaker 9: We thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Nice to chat with Charles. You take care by then. I remember doing that. I was painting. It was kind of like a contra thing, you know. I was helping out a mate, and every now and then there was like a small rust patch was appearing on this old corrigid iron roof, and quite literally, and I say this slightly shamefully, we'd just sort of rip outful cut off a section of T shirt that we were wearing, dip it in the bucket of paint, so we'd sucked up all the paint, put that on top of the patch, or put that as a patch on top of the little rusthole that had developed, and then just paint more paint over the top of it. I don't know how long it lasted, and I'm not suggesting it's a suitable method of repairing, but hey needs must Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. I'm just trying to I was thinking about painting that roof too. It was quite steep because it was an old villa and he's sort of scampering around there as a young fellow with a bucket of paint.
Speaker 11: It was.
Speaker 5: It felt like a long way to the ground too. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call. Lorraine. Good morning to you, Good morning peat.
Speaker 12: I'm looking at a house that's got metra pedaling in the walls and internal walls. Can you talk to people? Nobody seems to have heard much about it. Can you tell me is that a good thing or not?
Speaker 5: Sorry? A walling product?
Speaker 12: Which one in a house? I'm looking to buy it. The internal walls are made of metropalne. Before you can hear you tell me whether it's a good thing or not.
Speaker 5: Yes, look what metropanel is. I think it's actually Jane L. Duken's triboard, right, So it's made as triboard and when it gets sold through that company it becomes metropanel. So it's like either a thirty six or a thirty nine millimeter composite board which has a strand board core and then NDF on each side, so it's a solid panel. And in fact, when I was in Wellington yesterday, the Easy Build team they use it as part of their bill. There's a crowd that we've talked to up in the Far North Panel Locke who also uses So rather than having a timber stud and then plasterboard lining and all the rest of it, it's simply you assemble your entire house using these panels. Yeah. Look it's durable, it's robust, it doesn't move around a lot, so I wouldn't have any well, I mean it's a wood product, right, so it's neither cold nor warm. It is whatever you heat it up. So on the perimeter of the house, for example, typically you'll have that panel as the inside face and as the structural element, and then on the outside they'll put on a baton and that's where the insulation go, and then the cladding goes over the top of that. And you might find if you look up, is the ceiling also in this metropanel.
Speaker 12: I don't think so. I think it's just the walls which makes it narrower.
Speaker 5: What it is is it's space saving for the floor.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, But I just wondered because a lot of people hadn't heard about it, and you sort of think, well.
Speaker 5: Look, it's been around shivers I.
Speaker 12: Think twenty years.
Speaker 5: I think, oh, even longer, and I've spoken with people who are building with it, you know, back in the eighties basically, so yeah, it's been around, it's proven itself. It is super durable, and you know, one of the huge advantage, well, there's number of advantages. One is the space saving because you know, if you're within a conventional house, if you took the same frame footprint and built it using that sort of panel system, you can save about I think it's close to six percent of the floor space just by reducing the thickness of all of those walls, and yeah, in terms of rigidity and so on, it's great. In terms of robustness, you know, the ability to resist knocks and so on, it's got some huge advantages as well.
Speaker 12: So once it's up, though, you cannot put a new plugs or anything like that. You have to have them because it's like a kit set, so you have to have all your points and everything put them beforehand. Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yes, that yeah, because getting there is no inside of the wall to get to. So typically at the time of construction, if they're going to do light switches, powerpoints, that sort of thing, they're routed into the sheet and then you know there's there's a pathway for that cabling to go. So if you were to add in new cabling, maybe with a little bit of care and tension, you could try and drill up and then drill out. But what you might find is that you just have to do it with a bit of trunking on the face of the panel.
Speaker 12: What about the pumbing where the pumbing everything is because a lot of the pumbing's done from the ceiling. Now, is that right from the top of the house now the news sometimes.
Speaker 5: But typically in bathrooms, and that what they'll do is they'll use the panel and then they'll do effectively creating a service's cavity. Right, so there'll be a batman on the inside and all of your plumbing runs down there, and it might have some lining over the top of it.
Speaker 12: Right, Okay, Yeah, So you don't think it's a problem for buying a house like that or even trying to sell it at some stage.
Speaker 5: Look, I think it's a product that's been around, you know, it's well known within certain sectors. I think it's it's proven itself over time, and while not everyone's familiar with it, doesn't mean it's not hasn't been around and isn't a reliable product.
Speaker 12: Just seemed unusual that a lot of builders, you know, even building company rank, hadn't heard of it.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, that's I think one of the things with you know, builders in general, and I'm one of them, right, is we kind of stick to what we know, and so you know, you can spend your whole building life just doing one type of building, and the fact is we've got lots of different types of buildings out there and lots of different building methodologies. So what you're encountering there is one that maybe isn't familiar to everyone. Not to say that. I mean, I know people have been building with it, like I say, for thirty forty years.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, So you wouldn't have avoid buying your house because it had no problems at all.
Speaker 5: I would frame that by saying, I hope that you get independent advice and you make sure that you know a whole lot of other things are right with the house. But as a broad brush approach, I wouldn't say that you have any reason to be too considered.
Speaker 12: They even asked a building inspector and he hadn't heard of it.
Speaker 5: Then you need to find a better building inspector.
Speaker 12: Right, Okay, to be blunt, right, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: Nice to talk to you. You take care. See then bye bye. Yeah, you need to find a better building inspector. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty Now someone has I love these texts. Hang on hand. Let me deal with this one first morning, Pete. Sorry, you're wrong. No LBP required for the garage, as it's not restricted building work unless it's habitable and is on the inspector. And it is on the inspector. If he passed the citing inspection, he has had a base to pass on the evidence to identifying the boundary. If he's just taken on trust Craig, and I of've Craig's opinions all of the time. Hang on, if it got a consent, it's restricted building work. I know you can build certain types of garages and certain locations without necessarily requiring a consent, but this one got a consent, and consented work can only be done by a licensed building practitioner unless you get an exemption. That's point that I was trying to make al. I love the text from Craig. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call John A very good morning to you.
Speaker 10: That's the very thing I reng you about, Peter. When you're buying a house, you know you can go to the local council and anything that's on the council. That's why even if it's you know, every time you get some alterations it requires a Milligan seat, you've got to get a Billigan set.
Speaker 5: And then only if it's restricted building work, and only if it's work that does actually require a consent.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I know this particular they got a building a set for.
Speaker 8: It, didn't they?
Speaker 5: They did yes, and it got issued with the c SEC, didn't it. It would appear so well, I know it does. So what I asked, what I asked Jim is did it did you have a building consent for this? And did it get a CCC? And yes, and yes is the answer. And look, you know, think back, I remember building, you know, twenty five thirty years ago, right, and would do a set out and the inspector would come along for the footing inspection and they'd kind of just look around and go, yep, looks like it's in the right place. Now those days don't exist anymore, right, And eight years ago you would set out your foundations, you would either do it because the surveyor had been to the site beforehand and put in let's say, four boundary pigs for you, and then you set the building up on that and they would issue a sighting certificate. And in the absence of a sighting certificate, you'd have to prove evidence to the building inspector at the time that they were coming to look at the foundation inspection, the first inspection that the building was in the right place. So, you know, if Jim had said to me, look, I built the garage thirty years ago. I'd say, yeah, I can understand how it somehow missed out.
Speaker 10: Peter Yip. Yeah, look I was a building and spricked up twenty five years so I know exactly what you're saying. What I'm saying is that in the notes of the of the inspections there there will be in the notes at the Lake Authority where it is, I don't know where it is, what council, but there will be in the notes that that an inspects it was cool to do a citing. That's if it was going to be done now. But it's going to be done by the inspector. They've got to define the boundaries with the with the survey pigs, and then they've got to put lines up and stuff, and to just sick to see its being cited as accordance with the approved building of scent plans. Now, the other way you said is right, if if it's a bit done you and they can't find the pigs and that, then they've got to employ a serve land and they didn't get to prove siding to be that will be in the notes. Now if this thing has been built with the building concent and it's been issued with the side off and it's gone to to be a compliance, then it's on the council. The council should have evidence to show when that when that siding inspector was done and who and who passed it and and if they've got no records of that, that's on the council. And they shouldn't have done the siding in the building said to be a good priance and to finishing the job because because it would have been an inspection that wasn't done side the inspection. Now the other thing, if it didn't require siting inspection that need this isn't to be any good pride, you know, from a reason very clear.
Speaker 5: Well, that's where I was.
Speaker 10: Be able to he should go and go to the council and get the information from the council as to how it was silent, and they should be evidenced there that it was cited as approved.
Speaker 5: And that's where I was a little bit surprised because he's gone to the council to get the property file because he didn't still have the copy of the consent, and then he's asked counsel about this and they've just said, no, it's not our job. There's a little note on there to say that the contractor and the owner.
Speaker 13: Are the job.
Speaker 5: And I'm thinking, I don't think it works that way any well, eight years ago. It's just not that long ago. It's not like the building practice has changed dramatically in the last eight years. And you and I would both agree, you know, thirty forty years ago. I mean I remember setting out a building. Admittedly it was on a lifestyle block, and we had one pig in the ground and it was like, that's where the building's going to go, and then we did all the rest from there. Now it's not like that anymore, right, And it wasn't like that eight years ago. And I don't understand how he can't get counsel to engage on that.
Speaker 10: Peter. It's better now because I'm eighty eight now and I retired when I was seventy two from building of streeting, right, So we had to wear about those things then, and it was very simple. You know, they either gave you a certificate from a license you know, SERVO or else and it'll be in the notes. There's no way that they know we don't know about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think maybe he needs to get someone to argue on his behalf. With regard to counsel John, I love the experience and the insights. Now update update old inspectors one hundred percent correct from Craig. I agree with you, right, Craig. Update. Yes, standalone garage does need a consent, but it only needs an LBP if it's habitable. So if it's not a habitable building, I you know, you get a company that specializes in garages, they'll need to get a consent for it, but the people who do it don't need to be an LBP. That is genuinely news for me. I was very much under the impression that if it's a consent, it needs to be restrict A consent basically defines what restricted building work is.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 5: You can do work that's building work that's not restricted if it didn't have a consent. If you get a consent, it becomes restricted building work. Restricted building work can only be done or undertaken or supervised by an LBP. I'm going to have to do a bit more reading on that, Craig. Thank you very much, sir. We'll call that one a draw. Oh eight one hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call it a six forty two at newstalk zeb radio. Very good morning to you all, and at least a very good morning to you.
Speaker 14: Good morning, how are you very well?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 12: It's use.
Speaker 14: So I've got just an interesting little problem, and I'm sure you're be intrigued about. I think just my house eleven years ago and welcome they total and when I would just sell that three years later, I decided I had accounts of decided that it had no compliants and all the checks that I've done with frugal, so I had over silence to try and sell it privately to or a developer. So he got the council down and turns out that the house, the only thing on the council file that was not ticked off was the piles. Everything else is tack dated and signed. So we believe it's that an administrative area year odd years ago when the house is constructed. However, now one of my boundaries is on to a X Housing year leland the house where the tenants have been there for over twenty years, and that particular Housing Year Zealand portfolio sold over eleven hundred properties to an Australian company called IHC, And so they mean that and they had the tenants vis my boundary needed they planted a plant to caught an a plant about twenty years ago, and that has encroached onto my intection to the tune onto my boundaries in the government. I'm not living at this house right most of the time, but to the tune of about a meter and a half. So we needed to leave a defense and redo defense so we could decide what we're going to do with our property. When doing that, the digger came in and caused one hell of a mess and up popped three springs on the groundw market his digger line fresh water springs the best of them, one lesa of fresh spring water every minute, So now I want the water. They just not a boundary, and no one's playing game with anyone, you know, if they say the focus the boundary alone down across nineteen thousand.
Speaker 5: Dollars and they want to surveys.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, now right, age what works? And so that's turning into a very just thing conversation where yeah, I'll take liability, all right, if you can assure me that that water gets three directed.
Speaker 5: In my fiction, I can just see this becoming vastly, vastly complicated in a in a very short manner of time. Unfortunately, I appreciate the I mean it is. It is phenomenal how complex these things get in a remark like I say, remarkably short amount of time. I hope it all works out. I'm not sure there's a question then there, So I hope it all works out for you. It is six forty eight here at news Talk CB. I chat for a second longer. It's actually six forty nine. Time to take a break back after the break a couple of speed lines for right now? Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call? So just clearing up some of the confusion, let's say, and if I've been part of that, my apologies for that. So LBP work that's excluded is covered in the building dot gov dot NZ website if you sort of go projects and construction. I don't think I can bring up a hyperlink through the text. Oh I can. How exciting, right, So I'll have a look at that. And what it is is things where you might need a consent for it, but it doesn't necessarily need an LBP to do the work. And that includes garages if they're not going to be habitable. So if they suddenly become a habitable space, then suddenly they do need to have an LBP actually undertake the work as well. I'll dig into a bit more of this detail for you shortly. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call, and the lines are over an art A very good morning to you get art. Hello, Yeah, Matt from christ Church, Matt, good morning.
Speaker 7: Good morning.
Speaker 15: Is it possible to relay concrete over concrete head? I've got a concrete pair that's tilting it towards the garage door. Previously it was tilted away from the garage door, so got water going into the garage.
Speaker 5: I suppose the concern with you know, those sorts of repairs is will you get it to add here? So you know, I would say that you could. You can lay a new slab over the top of an old one if you've got it, you know, I'd say a minimum of seventy five millimeters, and then you'd want to make sure that the two bond together. The other problem that I can see is that if the existing one is moving and you pour another one on top, what's to stop both of them then moving?
Speaker 15: I think it's said, yeah, okay, I wouldn't be pouring a pad it looks like I had to cut.
Speaker 7: It and break.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, because you know, to be fair, anything less than that you'll find that it will break and delaminate anyway, Right, So you'd put a lot of effort into doing it and then find it doesn't last very long. I think, you know, the typical practice would be to break up what's there already and simply pour a new pad and you'll certainly get a much better job.
Speaker 15: I thought that would be advice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, And just you know, make sure you dispose of the hard fill somewhere where it can be recycled. So there's there's I would imagine in Christ it's probably a number of places that do recycling of hard fill rather than just send it off to landfill. All the very best, you take care, all the best. Self leveling compound does good for Mark, for Christ. It's not the garrette, it's the path on the outside. I think doing self leveling compound where it's exposed to the elements not a good idea. Oh eight, one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. We will come back straight after news Sport and we're the top of the hour that's about a minute away. In the next hour, we're going to catch up with Tim Pearson actually, who's a builder just outside of christ Church who's been using some of the J and l J panel which I used on little projects. So we're going to chat with Tim also in the hour from eight o'clock onwards, or the half hour before it arrives. Your special guest joining me on the program, Storm Harpham Harpam, who is a specialist in ventilation. I picked up on a really good article that she wrote and posted on LinkedIn talking about the proposed changes to wind back H one of the building Code and her response to that, and also a whole lot of really useful articles around the importance of ventilation. And my first question to her is going to be, and I'll take your questions as well via the text. You know, how is ventilation not just opening the window? And how have we suddenly gone from just open a window to requiring ventilation. There's a lot in it, So I'm looking forward to conversation with Storm after the eight o'clock news this morning as well. If you've got a question, call us now, oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call. Any of your building and building related inquiries and questions are welcome on the show. Like I said, we've got news, sport and weather top of the hour at seven o'clock and we're back straight after the news and a very good morning. Welcome back to the show. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you've got a building question. That is the number, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. You can also text through, and we've had some very fine texts this morning. Nine to nine two is EZB from your mobile phone. If you'd like to email me, you're more than welcome to do that. In fact, I did get an email this morning from jan who has sent me. The usefulness of the email is you can attach photographs. Right, So she has sent me a photograph showing a solution to a roofing issue that she has. I presume she the problem with the roof is odd looking solution for rainwater gushing off the roof above the front door see the pitcher and sure enough it is just pouring over the spouting. He has laid a downpipe horizontally for a couple of meters above the guttering. Now think about a spreader, right, which is a not uncommon methodology. If you've got an upper roof discharging onto a lower roof, typically you have the downpipe coming down, you extend it a little bit onto the lower roof, and then to ensure that the water doesn't just pour down in one location, you install a spreader. They're generally maybe half a meter wide, so five hundred millimeters. You put an end cap on them, You drill a series of holes, and it spreads the distribution jan with the grace. Respect. I have never, ever, ever in my life, seen a spreader that's probably about two and a half meters long, So if you're familiar with these, think about a spreader that's two and a half met is long with a whole series of holes drilled in it that is then distributing the water from the top roof onto the lower roof in order to stop it overwhelming the lower roof and pouring over the spouting right by the front door. So thank you for your photograph. What appears to me is that the actual problem one, I think that's not a great solution. Two, the actual problem is that the lower spouting is set too low. So if you're you know, the photograph is taken from the ground looking up at the roof. Realistically, if you've got a let's say a roof at about two and a half three meters high, and you're standing four or five meters away from it looking at it, you shouldn't be able to see the profile of the iron. And I can quite clearly see not just the peak of the iron or the rib of the iron, but also the trough of the iron, which means that in reasonable weather, the water just shoots straight over the top of the spouting. So spouting typically is designed with a lip at the front, which is there to catch water during heavy downpour. So when it's not just dribbling off the end of the iron and into the spouting and it's got some speed because there's lots of water, you want to be able to capture that. And that's not what's happening in your instance. So Jan, I think the issue is that the spouting is set too low. I can understand why it's set too low because they're aiming to get to that outlet, which means that they've started too low somewhere and just got lower and lower and lower and lower. That's your problem. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. Let's rip into a couple of calls. Remember, I've got a guest coming. Guests joining us on the program in the next hour as well to talk ventilation, ventilation, mold control, moisture control, balance, pressure systems. We're going to have a whole half hour on ventilation. It'll be great. So my guest will be joining us in the next hour. A very good morning, and thanks for wording.
Speaker 16: How are you good morning, Yes, I'm fine, Thank you, thanks for taking my call. I have a question around installations and new housing. I had a house built seven years ago and I had an Atlanta shower put in my on Sweet and in my master BA throne. The problem is is that my on Swite shower, the scooting board started going a little bit dark and the paint started to sort of slightly flake just outside of the shower door. And then I noticed just recently that black mold has come through on an opposing drawer corner and across the skirting board behind my bed. So the opposing corner is in my dressing room and across my bed. So my question is what is the warranty usually on installation and the plumbing on a new house if it ten.
Speaker 5: Years typically it is yes.
Speaker 16: Okay, so that's all right.
Speaker 5: If a new build, and I mean seven years is not that long ago, and there should be I mean, you know that particular brand will have its own warranty statement or at least a description of how it's supposed to be installed somewhere in the property records. It should also have it'll have that certainly will have the name of the LBP who was kind of in charge of the project. You'd have to try and track down who actually did the installation of the shower. So increasingly, particularly with new builds, we often it's becoming more specialized, for example, so there, I know there are crews around that just specialize in installing showers, and possibly the main contractor would have contracted that company to do the work, so they have to they then become responsible for it.
Speaker 16: Okay, all right, Well I had Plun've tracked down the plumber, but he's not getting back to me after explaining what's happened. Right, Yeah, I've got a bit of a problem there, So that's okay. I just wanted to confirm because insurance just the house insurance to slowly paid fifteen hundred plus the five hundred excess, which is a bit of a shame. So yeah, all right, then.
Speaker 5: Regarded as gradual damage, yes they had. Yeah, yeah, look, you know it's not that long ago. People should be able to stand by their work. But you know, I would start to perhaps have a look at who the main contractor was and the LBP associated with that, because there will be one, and then put a little bit of pressure on them to help you to find the person responsible.
Speaker 16: Okay, that's.
Speaker 5: All the best, ye take care, Jennette and Robert A very good morning to you.
Speaker 8: Good morning to you into your session with some interest over the years, and I think I run up about it anything, But you mentioned a substance that you put on a party rusted roof. This is a barn and an office I have the Hawks Bay, and could you give me the name of that discuss or this thick substance that you put on first perhaps of protective measure, and then you paint over the top and where you're finding.
Speaker 5: I think maybe you've taken what I was doing thirty odd years ago painting a roof, and felt that that's some sort of approved methodology. Sorry, all I was doing back then was actually taking little bits out of my T shirt and soaking them and paint and putting them on the roof. That's not a recommended methodology, right, But there are today, what I've noticed just online, you know, various ads that have popped up for essentially coatings over the top of an existing roof, right, so you know, like maybe maybe not even a millimeter thick, but a sort of viscous flexible membrane that's supplied over the top of a substrate. Perhaps that's getting to the end of its life. If you search, actually, if you search for roof buddy, this is an interesting thing that's popped up over the last year or so, just roofbuddy, dot co, dot z. It's a way of getting different roof buddy. Yeah, it's a way of getting different roofing contractors to price for work. And I think they're also involved with some of these roofing products. I haven't had a chance to use any of them. I've done like small lean to roofs with things like during one nine to five or a couple of EPM type products. But I think if you wanted to do an entire coating, it'll be a specialist applicator who'll come and ideally treat the rust and then apply a coating over the top. And I think I would you go ahead?
Speaker 8: It's only partial, yeah, portions. It's been around. I don't know how long it hairs. It's pretty old, but I think it may have been reroofed at some stage yet, and I want to preserve. I don't think a stage where it's a renewal that I was quite Would Razine have a product like that?
Speaker 5: They'll have roof paint, certainly, and you can use like a rust converter and then a rust kill primer or like a general PA primer on it and then top. But if you've if you've got a hole there, or the beginning of a hole, then you know paint's not going.
Speaker 8: To fix that, right, No, it'll reach a stage all right then.
Speaker 5: Yes, Typically with roofs like that, I do a wire brush, I treat the area with a proper primer, a metal primer, and then go over the top of the whole roof with you know, a roofing paint and that will extend the life of it. And I've done that well, you know, recommended to clients over the years to do that and it tends to extend the life of the roof, and I think the focus is very much on extending the life. It's not a permanent fix, but it will give you some more time. Hey, thanks for much trouble it all and nice too nice to chat with you. You take care all the best by your news talk B I eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call now. Someone has text through looking for independent drainage surveys. To be fair, I've not really ever encountered one. If I guess going to a geotech engineer who is experienced in civil works and drainage might be your best bet. They were looking for sort of independent advice about drainage, but not from a drainage company, which is an interesting way. So I wonder whether a local geotech firm might be a good place to start for that sort of professional advice. Good luck on that one. O eight hundred eighty ten eighty back after the break, Oh text message I could get I could, I could be waylaid, I could be led down all sorts of delightful garden paths by this next question? What ner peak? May I ask if you have time for an update on your owl? House houses Lee, thank you very much. I'll restrain right now, but if you haven't seen it, I have done an update on the al barn saga. If you go either to Instagram search resident Builder or go to Facebook, there will be videos there that explains something of my process. And undoubtedly I will raise this particular vexatious issue with rud when we talk with him in just over an hour's time. So yes, I will talk about that, but I won't get distracted right now.
Speaker 17: Good morning, Hi morning, Peter.
Speaker 5: You sir, I'm very well, thank you.
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah, just got a question on the cost of replacing on a brick sort of a unit. Yes, it's by roughly forty five meters of one level in the ground around the house is completely flat as well. Yep, So what would be their rough costs be?
Speaker 5: I think with these things, you know, they're often it depends a little bit on the type of spouting do you want to replace it with? For example, PVC spouting? Do you want continuous spouting? Do you want metal spouting but not necessarily continuous? Is someone taking off the old spouting disposing of it, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. So the best thing to do always, I think, is to get a quote. But I know, you know, then these ads running on the station continuous group are doing replacement spouting. It's sort of twenty nine to thirty dollars a lineal meter, so that gives you an idea. But that might just be for supply and install. It might not be for removal, and it might not be for disposal and those sorts of things. So hunt around, get some prices. And also it depends on whether it is genuine spouting hung on a facierboard, or whether it's perhaps spouting that's part of a concealed spouting and facial system, which becomes much more complicated.
Speaker 17: Again in the current when he's got the breckage, I said in his okay, great, and joins onto the neighbors unit on either sides.
Speaker 5: He's basically right, yes, yeah, I'm with you. So typically you're sort of replacing like for like, hopefully the falls are all good. But look, you know, I really, seriously I think you're better off getting someone getting two prices and then deciding on which contractor you want to work with. Oh, eight hundred, thank you for your question. Eight hundred eighty teen eighty the number breck.
Speaker 18: Good morning, Yeah, good morning paper. Just an article we've got in the Star newspaper here in christ Church off a gentleman who was a licensed building practitioner who's been married to pay four hundred and seventies house and a compensation because he missed up a job.
Speaker 5: Saw that one.
Speaker 18: Yeah, Well, nowhere in that article does it say anything about having his license taken off. Nowhere doesn't say the building inspectors, and didn't say anything about the linear weather boards being installed. Wrong. What's the point in having all of these flash titles when these things are completely Overlook? You know to me that.
Speaker 5: Although hold, we don't know whether he's a master builder, and chances are it is not. Okay, So the other thing is we're making the assumption that he and he requested and had the inspections done. And I had to read through the article, and I think it's possible that, in fact, he didn't call for inspections despite the fact that he knew that he had to have them done. Right. Yeah, So I mean, and this happens, right, and particularly for builders that are unscrupulous, they'll go, oh yeah, no inspector passed it and that's fine, And this is where I have to say, this is a sort of public service announcement. One of the really good things with the some councils now are increasingly doing electronic inspections right as in everything's recorded electronically and at the end of the inspection, they complete their report and they email a copy of the report to the builder on site, but they can also email it directly to the owner of the property, so you've got insight into what's going on. I think that's really really useful for owners to know that their inspections are actually being undertaken as required.
Speaker 11: Ye.
Speaker 5: Well, I guess what would be really interesting is whether or not the clients And you've got to feel really sorry for them, you know. I mean, this is this is this is a guy who's offered up a price of one hundred and sixty six thousand dollars I think off the top of the head to do two two months work. Eighteen months later, and he's caused four hundred thousand dollars worth of damage to the house. Yeah, I mean, what a shamozzle.
Speaker 18: So look, well, what a thing to have to live for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, really really frustrating.
Speaker 18: But it's just go ahead, sorry, go ahead, No, no, you It just makes it makes people very very weary of employing any trades people there. It sort of gives all of us a bad name.
Speaker 5: Yep, it does, it does. And you know, all we can all we can console ourselves with that is that these cases are while they're not completely uncommon, they are actually far and few between, right or few and far between. So in that sense, I think, you know, most people, most builders, most builders, most lbps behave hopefully responsibly and respectfully. They get the job done, it's done to a suitable standard, et cetera, et cetera. So these are a bit of an out. But I have to say is it's an entertaining way to whittle away a couple of hours is to go to the LBP website and read through the recent determinations to see the what complaints have been laid against lbps and whether or not people have been found to have breached there either their responsibility as an LBP or Now of course we've got the code of ethics right, and I think what we're going to see is we going to see a lot more cases where lbps are bought in front of the disciplinary board for their behavior, their ethics rather than the actual building. So that's going to be interesting.
Speaker 7: Okay, it was a good article.
Speaker 18: Thanks for enjoy your show.
Speaker 5: My pleasure. It's a pleasure. All the best to you. Take care there. I think we might take a quick break. I think it feels like that sort of time. We'll come back and talk to Alan in just a moment. There's a lot more detail to that story that Brett was talking about just before, So I've gone back to the article that I saw Star News. It's still up online obviously, and it relates to a story about a builder who took sixteen months to complete what should have been a two month job, caused several hundred thousand dollars worth of errors in the process, and has been found personally liable to pick up the tab So builded by the name of Simon Washburne, was hired by a christ Church couple to replace parts of their roof as well as to replace windows in cladding on their suburban home. Quoted them a fixed price of one hundred and sixty six thousand dollars and I'm quoting from the article. However, a catalog of errors, as the clients described it, ensured that over nearly eighteen months this the work blew out to Washburn fixing all of the weatherboards incorrectly and installing the windows in such way that they leaked. So the couple have won a court order from the High Court in christ Church that Washburn in this company will pay them four hundred thousand dollars to fix the errors that he made, as well as thirty thousand dollars in compensation. So the person in question Washborn, he worked on it as well as having several employees. Errors however, quickly began to pile up, including windows installed out of square that wouldn't open and leaks developing around other installed windows. There's quite a lot more to the article. The other thing that I noticed jumps out is that they went on to replace a whole lot of the exterior cladding. The building surveyor that was called in as an expert witness, Rory Crosby as the building survey gave evidence to the court that because of the way the weather boards were affixed, they were highly unlikely to comply with the building code. Because so much of the cladding was removed, consent would have been needed rather than it being a like for like replacement. As Washburne had claimed, and that is well known, well accepted across the industry. So he's given sort of poor advice to the owners saying, oh no, we don't need a consent for that. That would explain why there was no inspection process. And you know, the manufacturer's specification is clearly to have this installed on a cavity. He made the claim as reported in the Herald or reported in the online article, saying that don't worry. You don't have to worry about that. I've got complete confidence in the product. You just do direct fix. So look, it's a pity that the clients themselves didn't seek some advice early on when they could see the project blowing out. It may not have changed anything. But and the other curious thing will be will they see a cent of the around four hundred and thirty thousand dollars that this person has been ordered to pay? That would be another interesting question, right, Ella, good.
Speaker 11: Morning, Oh, good morning. Then I love the show, Thank you very r And of course our little garden man as well. It was just amazing.
Speaker 5: He's taller than Amaza. Anyway, how can I help my sonny? Mind? Ella?
Speaker 11: Well, I'm ringing it's about what I saw a neighbor did in the past. I think in the past fortnight, he's got a concret talking roofing. He's got those concrete tiles. Yes, he got up and pressure washed it within an inch of its legh. I thought I heard you say in the last couple of weeks you were talking about similar type things and that you need that they could create leaks, et cetera, and you'd need to put a coating on top. Did I hear that bright or more?
Speaker 5: I'm just yeah, in case so I hear what you're saying. No, I think so. What I was talking about in that particular instance was some concrete roof tiles that were installed I think around nineteen seventy, nineteen sixty seven, right, so you know, almost sixty years.
Speaker 11: Ago these would have been put in because I know my house, Yes, if we took possession of it in eighty two, that they're not that kind of tile that might but the concreting one that the guy's got, yeah, they would have been. That house was built about a year after we took a possession of hours. Yes, we've built eighty two.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you know what the comment that I was making, is that an older roof like the one that I was describing, Chances are the coating that's on the top of it would have degraded, would have worn away over time, in which case what you left with is a concrete tile roof that's exposed, has no coating, and inevitably, if you've got a dry piece of concrete and it rains, moisture is going to be absorbed into that, right, and that would be happening on an old roof. Now, your neighbour who's got a concrete tile roof, but it might have been installed in the nineteen eighties, it probably still has reasonable coating on it, in which case cleaning it in the way that you've described is not going to shouldn't degrade the coating, shouldn't also get too much moisture inside there. However, like I would say, in those instances, the best way to clean roofs in that circumstance is to use a pre treatment, right, So to use a an anti mold or an antibacterial cleaning solution that you apply onto the roof, let it activate and start working on all of that organic material it's on there, and then wash that off. So you know, possibly he could have done something better. But what he's doing and what I was describing are actually two different things.
Speaker 11: Okay, but he certainly didn't put on something like something that you need to get tibet and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like a pre washed solution.
Speaker 11: I think through that, yeah, and then the other. But he did and honestly he sprayed and sprayed and sprayed. They but they have been Wait.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, cleaning the roof is a good idea, but you've got to know what you're doing, and you've got to do it in such a way that you're not going to, you know, either cause damage to the roof or use so much water that you're it's going to absorb moisture. It will still dry out and chances are there will be no ill effect from it. But he's probably done a lot of work that he didn't need.
Speaker 11: To do, right, But is there a product if he decided he did want to put something on it that.
Speaker 5: Look, there's a whole lot of sort of chemical treatments for exterior clean right, and most of them would involve an agent that will attack all of that natural growth, all that mold and mildew that might grow. So I think that that's right, yeah, I would do that.
Speaker 11: It's not the fact that it may have dried out to such a state that it is going to become I don't think.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, nice view to call all you take care and quick one from you, Jan Hello, Hi.
Speaker 8: Oh, Hello, Pete.
Speaker 19: Hi. I sent the picture and.
Speaker 5: I have to say, and I say that with the greatest respects. I don't think I've ever seen a spreader of such an enormous length in my life.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 19: Well, I've never seen anything like it either. That's why I contacted you. But the thing you said, the gutthering is probably set too low. So what do I ask the roofer to do about this?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Look, that was my and the photograph that you sent me is basically heavy rain and the water just pouring straight over the top of the spouting and coming down in front of the door, right and yep, okay, So in that sense, what's happening is the water is jumping that front lip of the spouting. And what I noticed from the photograph is that from the angle that the photograph's taken, you can see the profile at the end of all of the roofing sheets. It's not concealed by the spouting and typically that's what we would expect that you shouldn't really see the end of the roofing sheets. That's what the position of the spouting traps. That water stops it jumping that front lip of the spouting.
Speaker 20: Oh, I see, yeah, but.
Speaker 5: The challenge. The challenge is, as I can see on the photograph as well, that's where the downpipe is, right. So if you lift the spouting in that area, you're going to end up creating fall that runs away from the outlet, in which case you're going to have ponding somewhere else. So it becomes an issue where it's almost like all of the spouting needs to come off and all of it needs to be relaid with the correct fall. But you can't do that just by starting at one end sometimes, right, So.
Speaker 19: It's not the roofing that's the problem, that's the spouting of it.
Speaker 5: I think. So, I mean it might be that it wasn't replaced.
Speaker 19: It was just the roofing is all new. And please, I can see the profile as you call it, like the little scarlets.
Speaker 8: At the end of the roofing.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I can see that everywhere. Actually, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you say the roof was replaced. Is it replacing light for like, did you always have corrugated on Okay?
Speaker 19: Yes, and I've never had never had a problem with leaking of the spouting above the front door, so it's really surprised.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wonder whether something's changed with the height of the Yeah, the issue is the height of the Yeah, I think that the issue is with the spouting. So and that particular type of spouting. You might be able to disconnect it and reuse most of it. You might have to replaces here and there. So it's I think the only answer is redo the spouting.
Speaker 19: Okay, So that's not a disaster. I need that it always been all right before. Yeah, spouting, the routine has been replaced, but not the spouting. That's trying to say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is a bit unusual, but that'll be the solution.
Speaker 19: They should be able to fix it without too much drama then.
Speaker 5: Hopefully hopefully lovely. All right, thanks, Okay, you take care right over, We're going to take short break and we're going to talk to Tim Pearson straight after the break. Today we're going to take a bit of a deep dive into tribal TGV. Now I've used it the one that I used. Four hundred wide panel comes in two lengths two point four or three point seven to four to oh long and it boasts a fifteen millimeter thickness. It's got MDF on both outer layers and it's got a strand care in a layer. Another person who's used it as Tim Pearson, a builder from Lowburn in North Canterbury who's been incorporating Tribal TGV into several of his projects. I understand that you designed and built your own home got creative using tribald TGV. And then Lance fitz Morris, who's Duke in South Island sales rep said that you were on the hunt for a durable lining solution discovered tribal TGV on a Lake Ohause story from Archie Pro. So the key advantage is for you for TGV from triboard.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 20: After seeing that icle on the triboard, I talked to crime into using it on a large rating ceiling and I've gotten impressed how it went together and its durability and there's no need for any subtraits, so like a jib supper and it looks really good. So we ended up using it on our.
Speaker 5: Own home in terms of the installation process for triboard TGV compared to other materials, what's it like in terms of time complexity? And also tell me about the fixing process.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I found it pretty quick and easy to install. So I cuddle the boards using a plunge saw because the triboard t you see, it's four hinted white and you can't really use a drop saw because it's didn't cut that wide. So I made a square of an old track for the plunge saw, and I found that quick and efficient way to cut it. And I could also do miters on the external corners of that plunge saw, so I ended up gluing and secret nailing it through the tongue, so that cuts out lots of filling and sanding of holes. And because the boards are only faunt and wide, they're quite easy for one person to do the installation. And there was very little waste compared to plus board, and all the off cuts were used in a log burner.
Speaker 5: That's fantastic. Now, which lengths of triboard TGV did you choose for your projects and what was the thinking behind that.
Speaker 20: Well, in a skillion roof in our place, and we ran the boards vertically, so I designed the house for it with that board length and mind, so the internal walls were now higher than three seven forty and it worked out really all the off cuts use under the windows or above doors or boltcats, so it's very little wasist.
Speaker 5: And what did you do in terms of treating the tryboard TGV? Any tips for people considering?
Speaker 20: So we primed the boards both sides for installation and been careful not to put too much paint in the groove of the tone. And before we fitted our ceiling plow, we sprayed the tryboard. Once it was fitted, and we've done three coats and we sanded between the coats. But you can use a roller and a brushed it into the grooves as well.
Speaker 5: So it sounds like you didn't just use it in the house. But you've also got the classic man Cave project going on and a client opted for a natural try board. Look, what were the key takeaways from that project?
Speaker 8: Yeah, the pride.
Speaker 20: Board there was a perfect product for the man cave is still flaming, so if you use plywood, we would have had to wing out all the edges for the play so that the TGV being long, we need a very little blocking, and I use hard and steel breads and glue. The direct fix it to steel framing so it saved a lot of time. And the tring it for durable surface. And his man cave so you can fix his rugby jersey's up and dark board in that and screw anything to the walls anywhere you want it. It's really tough.
Speaker 5: Hey, so you're obviously a fan. Have you got any other upcoming projects? Will you'll be using triboard TGV again.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 20: I'm building a client's batch over at Lake Brunner and we're not going to use any class sport on the house at all. It's all going to be a TGZ and the walls and the garage and it's got a loft above the garage and it's got really tight access so the triboard only being forward of mill is wide, it's really easy to get up into that tight space.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's brilliant. I've used it on a small cabin that I built as well and did a similar thing walls and ceiling like you pre primed it, gave it a sand, put it up too, top coats and it does. It looks fantastic and it's got that durability, I think, which is what we've all come to appreciate from Triyboard. Tim all the very best with that upcoming project and thanks for your time this morning. Than thanks, Peter, pleasure, delightful guy. Tim. And just outside of christ Jets there and the j and our product that we're talking about there is Triyboard, which is Triboard TGV. So there are four hundred wide panels and I did. I put it up in a little cabin that we built a couple of years ago. And yeah, it's a very useful product. I can tell you that, oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call Craig talk to me about showers.
Speaker 13: Yeah, also a quickly a friend mine is a border and in some of that triboard left over actually now turned it into bookshelves.
Speaker 5: A brilliant actually, I've made bookshelves out of it as well. In fact, my work bench, I've got my old workshop right. I had the traditional sort of carpenter's bench, you know, two bits of timber and then a lower piece in the middle, you know, like you had it would work school. And then about it was twenty odd years ago I put a bit of twenty one mile triboard on the top of it, right, because I wanted a flat surface, and I'm still using it, and I cut it, and I grind on it, and I sand on it, and I chisel on it and all the rest of it. And I'm thinking, in another couple of years, i might flip it over and I'll keep another twenty years.
Speaker 8: Out of it.
Speaker 5: So yeah, the other side, yeah, yeah, anyway, right, showers.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, freemment. I'm just forget the behalf of appearance. I'm going to shower. Put in one of these free standing ones. Yeah, you know, like the weather glass doors and all. They're about probably ten years ago, yep. And there were saying, well, you notice when you pops in the show and now the shore sometimes before is a bit of a squeak in it. Yep, it doesn't leak. And I'm just thinking, I'm pretty seen under those they have like a foam, like a polystreine, fine thing, and don't they some of.
Speaker 5: Them might, Like I installed one about two years ago that didn't have the foam. It just had a whole series of rings. And the real challenge is because what you want them to do is to have a decent beat of adhesive under there, right, so you don't get squeaking. Over time, you apply the ceilant to the underside of the tray and then as you drop it down sometimes the ceilant comes off, and you know it's like it's tricky to do getting rid of that squeak. Kind of tricky because you know, how do you like, is it a timber floor. Could you get underneath and squirt some more? Okay?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I said there was probably just general movement. After time, he's not worried about he's asked about it. I said, it's probably just everything sibling and it's nothing. It's not leaking, so there's not leaking. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 5: And I think that that's very wise advice. If it's not leaking, just leave it. It might be a little bit annoying, and I know it feels a bit funny, you know, the shower tray moving around, that sort of thing, But in general, I think it'll be fine.
Speaker 13: It's just in a basement, so so they don't use it pretty often. Just he's got a he does a lot of wood working with lab and there down the basement, so he does the little bowls and stuff from that for hobbies and that nice. It's a shout to sort of show before it comes up and Mom goes, what you bring. It's just a clean off. But you see he's noticed that it squeaks a bit, probably this movement with over time. He goes, it's not leaking. I see it was not leaking. Don't It's kind of like I've always been brought up. If it does, it was not broken. Don't drive into it could cause more problems.
Speaker 5: I'm laughing because I love the fact that, you know, he can go and have a quick shower downstairs. Because I came back from doing a job the other day and you know when and walked, came and took my boots off, went into the bathroom, uh you know, stripped off, jumped in the shower, and then I was tidying up afterwards, and these these bits of grass and depre all over the bathroom floor. And that'd be awesome to be able to strip off outside and have a shower before you come inside the house. That's great. Yeah, that's what I love that, all right, that's awesome.
Speaker 13: That's what I thought it was. I thought moving a.
Speaker 5: Little bit annoying, but I leave well enough alone. All right mate, all the best you Craig. You take care. Actually someone suggested it could be the shower is rubbing against the bottom plate, because often when these are installed, you actually cut out the lining around the base of the shower so that the shower is recessed in underneath the wall, lining, plaster board, whatever it's going to be, and sometimes that can rub at that point. So thank you very much for that as well. Jim, good morning.
Speaker 4: Get two things. The woman that it's got the problems, Yes, the water going over the top. She couldn't put something on the in the gather to list the heights of the outside, you know, instead of.
Speaker 5: I know what you're saying. It like a little shield or something like that that directs. Yeah, but it's all about Hoki.
Speaker 4: A yeah, it is right, yep, yeah.
Speaker 5: Let's stay away from Hoky.
Speaker 4: The other thing is I've got a growth on the corrugated iron roof. It is shaded by trees. I'd call itchen. I don't know if that's right or not, but it's very flat on the roof. What can I spray it with to get it off?
Speaker 5: To be fair, I've heard that wit and Forget works really well on it.
Speaker 4: All right, yeah, okay, and.
Speaker 5: Then you know you know that it's not going to cause other problems in a major way, yep. So yeah, spray it with that if you're using the water for drinking, like if you've got water tanks. No otherwise no bi all accounts works really well. And I've got the same thing, a little awning roof that's got some clear light on it back porch and it's got a bit of liken on it. I've applied it and it's gone so okay, yes, okay, take care I see it then. And Chris a very good morning.
Speaker 21: Oh good morning, Pete.
Speaker 5: How are you very well in yourself?
Speaker 21: We had a house built for us by a building company about two and a half years ago. We were going to move the house to right on the beach up here in the farm. Also, of course, it was all stainless steel fixings, et cetera. The hardy plank, the seven mill hardy plank that's on the house. We supposedly use stainles steel flat head to hold it, hold it together, yes, and then painted. Now two and a half years down the track, I'm starting to see all rusty nail heads coming through the paint now might this be that one? They may have used galve clouds to hold the hardy board on, or it's had too little paint put on it. We suspect that it's in a very you know, like maybe just a single top coat.
Speaker 20: On the house.
Speaker 21: How can I fix these rusty nail heads on these? And is it the rest of the house as well? Just that I'm looking out at the moment.
Speaker 5: It would be interesting perhaps to try and go to an area that's you know, not well trafficked and see if you could pull a nail out to determine exactly what it was, you know, so you could just scratch the head of the nail. Right, So it's a flathead, right, So go to an area with a bit of sandpaper, send it back and see whether or not it is actually a stainless steel flathead, or whether it is in fact a galvanized flathead. Now galvanized flathead might actually be compliant, but inevitably.
Speaker 21: The zone heavy the spray zone we're in, which and it was specified in that.
Speaker 5: Hardy place, Okay, if it was specified. Now I'm going to have to go to stay on the line because I want to crash into the news like I usually do. We're back straight after the break Ruddio, Good morning, Welcome back to the program. We're just going to wrap up the conversation with Chris that we started before the news at eight o'clock. So, Chris, I'm wondering whether you you mentioned that obviously the work had a consent, in which case what was specified is what's required to have been used. What will be curious to find out is are the nails that have been used for the fixing of the siding stainless dealers specified or perhaps if they use galvanized. If they've used galvanized, then that becomes a really big problem for the person that nailed all of that siding on because I think you'd make a good case to say, actually, you've got to come and replace them, or at least come and treat all of the nails that are there, so you know, even like I've noticed, if sometimes when you're using galvanized fixings right, because you're pounding on the top of them, it does tend to break down a little bit of the galvanizing, so it exposes a bit of the metal. That's not unusual saying that, and it's a bit of a frustration I've used stainless steel pins in a like a finishing gun for putting on trim outside, and I've noticed they've rusted, So you know what standard of stainless steel to be fair, I bought some stuff. I'm not even go there, so it's a long story.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 21: So at the moment, how do I there's about twenty or so nails on the south side of the house, yep, and like we washed the house down once a month because we live.
Speaker 5: About fantastic from the beach.
Speaker 11: Yes, and.
Speaker 21: I've noticed that the nails and the site are also starting to show that rust. So is it that paint put on or is it that they've cheaked out?
Speaker 5: I look, I saw the other day someone had fixed five er cent safite sheet with jib clouds. Okay, right, so I'm hoping that we're not going to go down that path with your job. But you know, I have seen that sort of thing, and you know, while they have some corrosion resistance, they're not designed for outside.
Speaker 21: Can I approach the building company that built this house for us?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think so, but it's probably worth getting someone else to do a bit of due diligence for you. So maybe another experienced builder or a building surveyor to come have a look. So I expose the nail head and see whether it's actually stainless.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: If it's not stainless and it should have been, then that's a problem for the contractor not following the specifications. If it is stainless and it's still corroding, then maybe that's an issue for the manufacturer or the supplier of the product. Is this really up to spec Let's say you've got the whole house, it's all been fixed off with galvanized flatheads that maybe should have been stainless. Then I would say it's probably going to be a case of getting the contractor to come through, expose the heads of all of the nails, some of the nails, apply a rust kill treatment to them, and then repaint the house. And if they can't get the patching right, then it's a repaint of the entire thing, not just the individual nails in the area around them.
Speaker 21: Yeah, but it.
Speaker 5: Should it should last more than it has.
Speaker 21: Yeah, a building company name the name, but they apparently they had an LBP that came on site from time to time to check up like they do and signed it off. I've got the name of the guy because there was some problem with some of the framing to internally, which I approached him and he was okay about that. Yes, but also obviously a house should have an undercoat and two top coats on. That would be industry standards.
Speaker 5: I would say, so yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 21: So can I take we think very much that it's only had one coat of top coat on it. Can I take a piece of the paint to someone like Razine to see how thick the paint is that's been put on?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's it's there's laboratory testing for that, so it's quite a process. But yes, I believe that you could. Now quick tip before we go, because I've got an interview to do. Easy way to check for stainless steels is with a magnet. If it sticks, it ain't stainless, that's well. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 5: I love the teks all the best, mate, Thank you very much for your call. Now I'm delighted to welcome to the show this morning. Someone who's I read an article written by Storm some weeks ago and thought and they've had a number of conversations about ventilation. So Storm harp them a very good morning and welcome to the show.
Speaker 22: Good morning today morning.
Speaker 5: I'm very well, So let's talk ventilation, which I think in all of the ten years of doing the show, I've never had a ventilation expert on, so I'm kind of excited. And where I wanted to start is what is ventilation? And how is it that we've sort of got to a place where suddenly ventilation isn't just opening the windows anymore.
Speaker 22: Yeah, Look, it's an excellent question, and for those of us in the ventilation industry, we do wish it had been that ten years ago. But the honest answer is ventilation is moving into and out of us. So if they've be air and air out, and you're probably at first phrases like clean air and fairlier out, but the actual practice of ventilation can be done in a whole lot of ways, which is probably why we've not not really talked about it too much in the past. And also you asked the question, and it's a really good one. How is it that we're only really coming to discuss it now and with such urgency? And the reason for that is we're building differently and we're living differently. But I don't want to accuse just the building differently that I've got to be really careful of that because some people are going, well, it's because we're building differently. Ventilation has always been a problem. We're just noticing it more now because it's turning up in our lives physically.
Speaker 5: And I think part of that is kind of if we take an analytical view of the type of houses that we have built for so long in New Zealand. So you know my house, I'm in an old villa. It's got no well, it never had any building paper. It's got lots of drafts and cracks and that sort of thing. In a sense, it's kind of accidental ventilation. It's drafty, right, and so it kind of ventilates itself, but not in any controllable way. Whereas today, if we've got a concrete slab, we've got timber framing, we've got either a rigid wrap or a tape around or a flexible barrier around. We've got a roof with an underlay, we've got aluminium jewelery that should be well sealed. Those sorts of things we're not air tight. And I'm very conscious about not claiming that our houses are air tight, because that's a very specific phrase and so on. But increasingly they're not as drafty as they used to be, so ventilation suddenly becomes something you actually need to do rather than it happening accidentally.
Speaker 22: Absolutely, and you've kind of hit the nail on the heads. There was the old villas. Yes, they were a little bit drafty.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 22: You can go into an old villa, but your hand next to the joy in the window and you can feel the ear moving, and that's moving because the wind pressure or the wind on the outside of the building has created what we call the pressure differential or kind of like a heavier side of the building and a lighter side of the building, and the air wants to roll down hills. So you've got this this natural air movement. But also in old villas, you had other planned gaps. Did you have a fireplace in your place?
Speaker 18: We do, Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 22: So that's got a chimney and that's not blocked off. It's got a high and low windows, so you'll have the windows right up the top that you can open up to get air moving. When you've got heat at the top and cooler ear down the bottom, and it'll shift air out of the house. So we even designed and oriented our buildings differently as well. So we did build a lot differently and we started putting you've got the concerte slab now, and you've got well sealed windows. You're not going to get those drafts through them anymore. And we're also using different like rigid air barreas on the outside of our buildings have a different We call it vapor permeability, which is basically how much moisture can can move through a material. So our whole house is using different materials, different construction methods, and you know, we don't want to say it's air tightness or you're tight anymore, but we're definitely not getting natural air movements, not in the same way in words.
Speaker 5: That even I can understand. Could you try and explain to me vapor permeability, because it's a concept that I'm beginning to get my head around, but I'm still staggered in a sense by the notion that vapor in air can migrate through us. What I think is a solid surface, my exterior wall.
Speaker 22: Well, let's use something that's not quite a solid surface. And I've ended up with tetwel so so there with me. You know, you get a kind of maybe a cheap new tea towel and you put water on and the water on it yep, and then a different tea tail with a different wave will allow that water to sink and faster and potentially drop through. Now, eventually both surfaces soak that water up, but that wave, that kind of whole construction of that material causes a different reaction. So what happens with a fermiability is it's a little bit like that. I'm going sideways to kind of get to the point. But is that water that's in our ear and we have water in our air all of the time. We can't see it, and it's healthy a lot of the time. It's a healthy amount of amount of water and out. Yeah, but it pushes against those exterior surfaces, and those surfaces are prepared to take on a little bit of that moisture, kind of like clothes in your wardrobe, right, you've got dipped them in the part, but if you've got a damp house, you might find mold in your wardrobe. And so that ear is pushing against those surfaces, and different materials have different call it weaves because it's you for ttail example, and essentially that moisture can migrate into the surface. And so in our older styles we had we had a kind of a looser weave of material and now we've got a solid one.
Speaker 5: Is that Yeah? No, absolutely, And then you point you started to talk there about mold, because this is something that I was doing a presentation yesterday and in various brand surveys and housing condition surveys, you know, close to half of New Zealanders report having mold on the inside of their houses. Ventilation and mold. What's the correlation.
Speaker 22: Yeah, it's it's all about the moisture in the air that so I talked before about we've all got moisture in the air, and we'll we normally have it in there and you'll see it on your weather applot percentage relative humidity, So you might have over summer we get up eighty only sims up in Auckland.
Speaker 7: We're not.
Speaker 22: It's a lot drier down in Queenstown. And then there's this healthy amount of moisture that's sitting between about forty to sixty percent relative humidity. And I'll stress the relative because relative humidity is actually it's a percentage based on the temperture of your ear. So the air warms up, the relative humidity goes down, even if you don't change the moisture contents. But you've got this moisture sitting in your ear and we're trapped in these these boxes, and they are only beautiful boxes, which you've got a good artist. And we're trapped in these boxes. And we've been breathing, we've been cooking, and we've been cleaning, and we've been showering, and hopefully we've used our extractor fans, but we've generated a certain moisture level that's not left the space. And the longer those surfaces that close in your wardrobe, you're building materials. The corners stay at a high humidity level and it's somewhere between. It's about eighty percent normally over time. But even the longer it stays with that moisture, the more likely you are to get mold. And the temperature doesn't matter. It's all about that moisture.
Speaker 5: Right, And the most efficient way of removing that moisture from our environment is through extraction.
Speaker 22: The most efficient way to get specific moisture, so range should for your cooking. It's a big grader. In our home. You must do about three liters a day. It's another Brands bit of Brands research there through cooking in your home, and you've got another one and a half liters the persons per shower. So as long as you've got those extractions and they're working, and I want to stress that they're working, then you should be removing the bulk of the moisture. But what's really interesting is our breathing actually creates a lot of moisture as well. We don't have an extraction fan following us around home, so I think three liters of from cooking, we actually get three liters of moisture just from breathing in your home, and yet we've got a fan specifically to remove the cooking moisture and nothing to remove what we're generating. So ventilation is really really critical because we've got to bring in that clean air which is at a lower humidity level, lower lower moisture level and remove the bad ear. And if we're not changing it over, it does stay trapped in our house with us, and in our new builds it stays trapped more because yes, air tightness is one thing, but air tightness is important for power savings as well. So I would wouldn't stop doing that. But also we have less windows, we have less opportunity to cross slow to a crossloads where air can move from one side, that pressure difference where wants to go down, air can move from one side of the house to the other. We shut our internal doors, so you've only got windows on one side. Anyway, it's noisy outside and without having their air movements through the house, that moisture builds up, particularly in corners with their movements, and you get your mold fnaing.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, we're going to talk a little bit about ventilation systems in a moment. My guest is Storm Harpham, and ventilation experts down the line will come back to you in just a moment. Get in your garden and shape this spring is easy with the right advice and the right equipment. So if the plan this weekend is a bit of lawnmowing, some hedge trimming, some tree pruning, or maybe even a bit of water blasting, you know you're in safe hands with these guys. They're the eight times award winner of consumers People Choice retailer for gardening equipment and the only place where you'll find all of the most trusted brands under one roof Still Shop, of course, New Zealand's home of the Still brand, no and foremost for their chainsaws. Still are increasingly becoming widely known for their world leading battery powered garden tools and tough times. I mean, you don't have to compromise. Still Show's biggest ever spring sale is on now with all Still tools on sale. There's never been a better time to buy the big spring sale. All Still Tools on sale at your local Still shop. With over eighty five stores across the country, there is a Still Shop near you or online twenty four to seven with a one hour click and collect Still Shop. Love your land?
Speaker 4: Does it be?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 5: My guest? This morning is storm happen and we have been talking about ventilation. I wish I could show you the texts that are coming in because people have started to ask all of these questions about hang on, how does this arrive? And why is that happening? And what about if the temperature outsides this and it's inside is that? And so on? So I think, to be fair, I would love to have you back and then we can kind of continue to sort of unpack this thing. And I guess what I find fascinating about the discussion over the last couple of years is something that we've assumed is kind of just happening all of the time, and it works because we're building differently, which is good. We now have to be a lot more active in the management of ventilation. I know you're active in terms of, you know, a sort of a lobby group, let's say, or an advocacy group for this. Where if someone wanted to start reading something that's digestible but evidence based around ventilation, where's a good place to start.
Speaker 22: Oh, that's a really good question. Without wanting to just kind of push you towards what we've done. We've got a few articles that we've published trying to go back to the basic So what is moisture, where is the humidity coming from? How do I control it in my home? What types of ventilation systems should I use? So we've got those on the blogs on smartvent website, but also Brands has some really really good resources on ventilation. There's some resources out from if you look at advice from the Building Council, they've got a design guide and actually there's some urban design guys as well for Auckland and other other parts of the country where they talk about ventilation, some of them will talk about windows and how to use windows. But we have t windows correctly, so really really look at what that means, because a lot of people go, oh, can't they just open the window? Well, yes, if you're there, to open it and you're going to get the right amount of flow and the winds right and the noise isn't too loud. Yes, So yeah, but online has some really great resources.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it'll be fantastic. Storm. I really appreciate your time and your expertise, and we will because next time we get you on I think we'll open the lines for text questions and go through some of the stuff. And then also this whole issue around ventilation systems, because there's lots of them on the market. Now, which one's going to work best for you? What's negative pressure, what's balanced pressure, what's positive pressure? What does it all mean? We'll unpack that with Storm and our next conversation. Thank you very much for your time this morning, brilliant. Thanks, it's pleasure all the best, Storm Harp And like I say, a few actually LinkedIn had a couple of articles that Storm wrote which are very very good as well, that's where I first sort of started reading what she's been writing about ventilation, which is a big issue, and I think it's going to be all of the talk at the moment about New Zealand housing and houses overheating and houses sweeting, and all of these sorts of things all end up coming back or being linked into ventilation and what we do about good air quality inside our houses. So really looking forward to continuing the conversation, speaking about conversations. Let's get talking to a recline past and just a.
Speaker 1: Moment for more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp. Listen live to news talks that'd be on Sunday Mornings from Sex, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.