Speaker 1: Life and the Export Beer Garden Tour of Munich and actually in Munich this time and brought to you as always by Export Ultra the Bear for trying to sneak into a bear fest. This is the Agenda podcast for god knows what that is the Agenda Podcast live from the Export on Beer Garden Tour of Munich and welcome into the cloudy Munich this morning. But gentlemen, we finally made it to the Beerguden Tour of Munich. Yes, this is the big day, isn't it.
Speaker 2: As this is the big day and we broadcast to you today and full German attire, classic traditional German attire, full leader Hausen, which is a leather pant with a little design on the front of it and a strange little flap on the front that you pull down when you need to go ease yep overalls or suspenders that go over the top leather.
Speaker 1: Of course it's a good look. It is a good look.
Speaker 2: And then a long hose, a long woolen hose. Yeah it's oh yes, is one of those Export just my way and you.
Speaker 3: Can just tip beer on it.
Speaker 1: Look as it's just and well, these are leader housing of yours. Do lane. These are.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's be honest, these are. These are well worn leaderhouse.
Speaker 1: I've seen some things.
Speaker 2: This is not your first Octoberfest.
Speaker 1: No, these are.
Speaker 3: This will be the fourth for these pair of leader hoosen. And you know the good news about these letterer hoos in the thick leather, it's almost what sheerers wear on the front of their kind of pant as well. You don't wash them. And I got laughed at when I said that. But then we hung out with a couple of locals last night and I said, do you ever wash your leader housing?
Speaker 1: Look at me me. No, never. No. He said that the shepherds will go up into the hell for an entire year just in the one set of leader hosen and they won't wash them, and then they'll come back down into town. And fine, they're a hard wearing pant. They're hard to break in though, aren't they? They certainly are.
Speaker 2: And I think the best thing about the leader housing is to say, if you did have a knife and you were skinning an animal, yeah, if it slipped, it would it wouldn't purpose wouldn't permeate the surface of the leadhouse. I guess that's what they're for. But might sharpen the knife. Say how come the men? So why did they want wear any pants? Because I asked, I asked our German for instances. I said, why why the shorts and you know in the winter, just to wear the shorts? They said, oh yeah, yeah, So yeah, you go. The socks come all the way up and it's like, well, do you not wear a pant at some stags? He is, no, no, no, you don't wear it. But this way you can go up appears.
Speaker 1: If I had to guess, you can walk further. If I had to guess how hard it is the hinge at the hip in these things, Yes, if you also had to contend with that at the knee, it would be quite tough to get around. Yeah, but why do they have to be leather?
Speaker 3: Well it's as hard, isn't it.
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: I mean, I guarantee you there's not many Bavarians or Germans who have several sets of leaderhosen. You just have one and then that one serves you. It's like a kilt, I reckon, it's the same kind of vibe.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. And actually there's so many more people. I was wondering that, like with the kilt, when you go to Scotland, You're like, how many people actually wear a kilt around? And it's more than you'd think. And I know we're here in Munich during Oktoberfest, but you do see people just rocking the old the old leader who's a leader housen. I wouldn't say casually. It's definitely still a formal attire, but they'll go out to dinner. It's like putting a shirt on over here, it seems. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And they did say last night, Axel did say our German friend, he did say that this time of year, there's three weeks where it's pretty much an open window where you can get away with doing a lot of stuff that you normally wouldn't get away with in Bavaria.
Speaker 1: Because it's october Fest.
Speaker 3: These parties in the street, these people drinking everywhere, these people and bad leader hosen, good leader hosen and great dingdrels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Darndel, which is the traditional German female dress, yes, with the fruitfy sleeves and then the very low plunging line around the breasts. And it turns out that in German is actually a saying for describing people in there doing and that is that you say and this is the literal translation into English. It's one word in German. Yeah, it's translated literally into English as there's a tidy stack of wood out the front of your house. Yes, because as we took it, it's one of the great saying.
Speaker 1: As we took a train ride out we saw all the traditional German houses and they do they have stacks of wood, And obviously it becomes a keeping up with the Joneses thing. You want to have a better looking stack of wooden than your neighbor, and a tidy stack, and a tidy stack and a large stack. And if you see a large stack, it's called holtz vide juta. That's that's how that's that old. And that's a polite euphemism that I probably still won't say to a frail line. Yeah we did.
Speaker 3: We did ask whether that was whether you could just blurt that out and got a kind of fifty to fifty on it. You said, you've got to read the room and you've got to read the recipient before delivering that line.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, Well.
Speaker 2: The big part about it is, as well, as you mentioned, it's it's not just about the size of the stack out, although important, you can they have a massive woodstack out in the front of your house, but if it's all unruly and all over the place, it's nobody wants that. But the ideal is the large woodstack that's also tidy. I think that's what they're trying to get at. It is because you can say, well, that's a very small woodstack, but it's also tidy. Yes, absolutely, It's probably better than a very large, unruly wood stack. Yeah, but probably not as favorable as the large woodstack that's also tidy.
Speaker 1: What I quite like about the old Leiderhosen is the individual expression because I feel like when we see them back home, it's like you've brought it from look sharp and you just go into a halloween or a fancy dress. But over here it's it actually tells a story and you decorate it with things that you've accrued throughout your lifetime. It's a it's sort of like you know your tapestry of all of the things that you've achieved. And Jerry was looking from the get go is like I want a feather in my hand, and we talk to the people about about why they have that, and often it's an animal that they've killed themselves. Hunted themselves. We figured out at breakfast morning that's probably where another feather in your cap comes from.
Speaker 2: That must be exactly where it is. I'm looking for a feather because I've got a a Brixton hat that I think will double fine as a German hat kind of looks like one and as well. But I'm looking for a feather, and turns out the feathers quite hard. But I did speak to the concerags this morning. They said, I actually need to go to a proper store, this traditional store, and they have all that sort of stuff. The thing I want is a feather, but I particularly want the badger he comes out at.
Speaker 1: The top of the fluffy one, the fluffy.
Speaker 2: Thing, because I saw some dudes in that in that parade that we accidentally found ourselves in yesterday, and I love the guys with the real fluefy stuff coming out the top of theirs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very much. The dress is very much similar to a real reference before. With Scottish celts. You just can accessorize and keep on accessorizing because you can get the formal jacket as well. You can get the calf warmers so you have ankle socks and just a stretch of wool across the calf.
Speaker 2: So obviously that the calf warmer is for mid season, so we're thinking that's more autumnal, more spring, whereas the obviously you'd have a low sock in summer, you wouldn't have any or the very very It's kind of like an ankler as well. They've got the anklord option and then obviously the long host for winter. But do you think they are the carp I mean, why just the middle of your calf? Why does that need to be warm?
Speaker 1: Well? I did consider that perhaps it was because you were pissing up so hard that your calves were cramping, so you needed It's like a compression socks a situation or is it?
Speaker 3: Is it a hiking situation where you've got to keep your calves warm, calf muscle warm maybe?
Speaker 1: Or is it to do with vericus veins?
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe it stops vericus veins?
Speaker 1: Was it for the long haul leader Hosen to stop deep vein thrombosis? Perhaps? Maybe? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So going back to yesterday, obviously we left Amsterdam, we've we bid farewell to Amsterdam. Did great town had a great last evening having a few beers in a windmill.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, so we finally got the windmill. We eventually found the windmill that we went looking for in nardin which, if you've just listened to the last podcast, got a fair run on the podcast, it's been it sent ripples around New Zealand. We're hearing back from various different legal departments of various companies. But yeah, but the thing is, we never did get the closure of the windmill that we didn't quite find. So we did go and find a windmill. An ounce that was glorious. Wasn't a brewery at the base of a windmill surrounded by canals? Yeah? Was it one? More working? Was it a working win going around? Okay? So is anyone using a windmill anymore? Are they still doing that? I think they're more decorative. Okay, they do have the windmills that we've got with the Meridian energy when oh they got power, they've got they got those ones. Yeah, not a milling.
Speaker 2: The windmill was used for milling grain, yes, and water, Yeah, moving water from one dyke to a next.
Speaker 3: Is that kind of because I think I feel like that was just wading through that.
Speaker 2: I feel like maybe that might be the case. Yeah, but it seemed that the windmill never really took off from the rest of Europe.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I think once once kind of all power and all that kind of stuff took off, they became a little bit redundant, that's right.
Speaker 1: Sense.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we made our way here to Munich. It's about what an hour and a half or something like that. Yes, on a plane, and very early in the morning when we were up at six straight into the bus, sinds out the bus driver didn't know how to take the handbrake off.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. That was interesting.
Speaker 3: And then when you asked, do you know how to change gears anyway?
Speaker 1: Oh god, he laughed, but genuinely. We sat down and Jerry's gun he can't find the handbrake. And then he looked over his shoulder and he goes, he's now googling the model of the bus that we were on. He was gurgling, Oh glad.
Speaker 2: I was at the back of the I was gurgling it and then I and then I locked down and I thought, it's it's it's a handbreak, and it's right where a handbrake normally is. Just it was a hand handbrake. And I was just sitting there and then I was watching him. I thought, I'm going to wait for him to go through the Google thing. It's like quarter bus six in the morning. You know, I've just had a very strong coffee. And I thought to myself, how long am I going to sit? Because I was in the seat right behind him. How long am I going to said here before I say something? I thought, I, God, I'm going to say something. I said, I think the handbrake's there, and he goes, oh, thanks very much, and then he couldn't put it in gear. And then I actually asked some of he knew how to steer, that's right, said, you do know how to steer, don't you? Said you?
Speaker 1: And I've got that. But I'm glad you were at the front. I was at the back.
Speaker 3: I was rid of with anxiety at the back, so that would.
Speaker 1: Have tipped out of the in claustrophobia because it was about a twenty seat a bus, but it had room for three pieces of luggage. Why are you fearing people doing from the airport with this, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess people do a lot more carry on here. I suppose you know, if people are going from city to city minute, because it's only an hour and a half. And the interesting thing is from Amsterdam to Munich. So you go from from the Netherlands to Germany. No passport control, nothing, no customs.
Speaker 1: They didn't check anything. Oh they did, well, I will say, they did scan my bag. So when you and I went through the little X ray machine, our bags both got siphoned off. Now we hadn't done anything too underwater in Amsterdam, but anytime you're leaving Amsterdam and your bag gets sectioned off, a million things start going through your head, your palms start sweating. I was like, oh god, what's this? She said, Can I open it? It's like yes, She goes, you have to open it. I open it, present her the bag. She puts the drug thing on the wand goes through that puts that in. I'm like, oh my god, what is happening here? Because also we got issued ACC bumbags ACC export bum bags. So I'm feeling like a drug dealer at this point, because you've got to slug across your chest. Yeah, I look, I look for all intensive purposes a drug dealer. And she scans that and then she goes, Okay, what we've actually found? So the thing comes back. She's holding the ticket in her hand. She goes, well, we've actually found is you've got a bottle of beer and your carry on luggage that you can't take with you. And it was the sixty nine dogship bottle from the day before mate, that I couldn't get sixty nine dogshit written on. She said, can you throw this out? I was like please. I didn't get done. I'm done. I didn't get on it. What I what I wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Well, she did the same thing to me because my bag also went into that into the dream did second tier zone? You know you're waiting it sits there and that in the on the convey about purgatory.
Speaker 1: Are you going to go? Yeah? Are you going to go to hell? Or are you going to come to Hiven?
Speaker 2: No, my one's going to hell. And she got out the made me open up my bag and my heart started racing tune and I don't know exactly how you're feeling. And then she I had a sandwich in my bag and she said, oh, it's a sandwich And I said yeah, would you like sandwich? And she goes, oh, that's okay. Then and then that was it. When I was fine, I was allowed to bring the sandwich in but that's the alarm bells off. Maybe people don't eat.
Speaker 1: I noticed that because we got as we're getting off the plane, you were opening your box and it's actually in your rubbish, just the you brought your entire pack lunch on an international float, which I don't think i've seen.
Speaker 2: Well, did everyone else eat their lunch? But I said to me, the only one eating my lunch after like breakfast?
Speaker 1: It was breakfast? Oh was it breakfast? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, I had Lolli's for breakfast.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, I dust the mind before we went through the thing. But this is my first lift hans Afloat and the funniest thing that happened as we were boarding, So it was different boarding groups, but we were sitting next to each other. Do you know what the boarding groups were? And I walked in this is genius.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So basically they have all these different groups, but since you're sitting next to someone, you're all in different groups.
Speaker 1: And we were like some lane and jury is sitting next to each other, but we were all in different boarding groups. Yes, because they loaded from the window first, genius, So you don't you know because the wounding you have to get up and let the guy into the window. Yeah, they eliminate that.
Speaker 3: So you get on and all the windows seats are fall and then it fills from the middle to the center.
Speaker 1: Because that is the biggest hold up because you get in there, you stand in the aisle. Sorry, I've got to jump over there. They get out, and meanwhile the whole plane's been brought to its knees.
Speaker 2: Because it was the first time I've ever heard a pilot a The pilot addressed the plane standing looking down the aisle, which was very nice. Maybe that's a Leftanza thing. But then he then said, and I thank you so much for your efficient boarding. And it's like, wow, okay, that's the first time I've ever heard a pilot thank the passenger for their efficient He was so pleased with the efficient boarding.
Speaker 1: It was efficient.
Speaker 2: It was very contrast that with getting on a domestic flood in America where people are just coming in with the giant suitcases carry on that you've ever seen in your life, trying to shove it out over head compartments.
Speaker 1: At his houses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, falling across people and sweating away and it's terrible.
Speaker 1: That was efficient, and you saw someone familiar on the flight. Did you recognize someone? Yes, I recognized the left edge for the right ear rather for the Brisbane Broncos. Jordan Ricky and former Warrior Jesse Arthur's were on the plane with a couple of other players as well. So they're obviously in Amsterdam for a bit, heading over to October Fest.
Speaker 3: For a Mad extension of the Mad Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, and I yeah, because of course they didn't make the playoffs this year. And you know the notorious Pansman Joel Harrison. He is a debt at punishing NRL players wherever they are. He can find them anywhere, he'll sniff them out. So I wouldn't be surprised if he just materializes in our tents at Oktoberfest today. They just chew Jordan Ricky's ear off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, he's definitely on his way to Oktoberfish. Oh yeah, hamon his mat geez. He's a specimen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god. Widely regarded as the best looking man in the NRL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see what they're talking about there. He's a very good looking man. But he's a he's a well proportioned unit. I mean, he'd be about six four, yeah, six three six four tall for a league player, yes, but just he's got that sunny bill thing going on where the height doesn't look tall. He just looks like a large man. That's right.
Speaker 1: Until you see him in person, you're like, oh my god, he's enormous and and dreamy. A chin they just won't quit. Yeah, piercing piercing eyes.
Speaker 2: Also, he was quite shy though, and I was watching him hanging out with his mates and it was quite interesting. He's quite a loner. He sort of stood around by himself, and then when he walked down he had the cap very low. It was very self conscious. But I didn't think he didn't need to realize that nobody on that flight knew who was apart from the punishings New Zealanders. And I had texts of three people and had told you, but that was a man. That was a man who's used to hiding. Yeah, you know, and he's obviously it's an old habit.
Speaker 3: And it was like, well, unfortunately, he's not going to be able to hide at October Fist because there is one particular tint that is rammed with dingoes, the half Frow House. So I'd advise jeordn Recky to stay away from the half brow house.
Speaker 1: Well, he's in trouble because there are a lot of keys here. We've seen photos of Warriors jerseys with Alida Hozen. He's the keys from christ Church actually John Rooky. So yeah, he is going to get absolutely wounded.
Speaker 2: Also, he's going to have some huge issues because some of those Frau line dendels are going to be all I mean, I can imagine and me look good in a pair of leader house and tell.
Speaker 1: You what, He's going to have a few logs chuck at him, isn't he He really is thought some press for him. Yeah? Absolutely, all right, let's take a quick break here. We'll come back and recap our first day in Germany. So, as we said, we landed in Munich, and then, as his tradition, we immediately left Munich. Fist all our bus are into town. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: It was driven by none other than Paul Horton.
Speaker 1: Paul fed What was he doing here?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know, but he was not a brilliant bus driver. He wasn't bad. He was better than the guy who couldn't find the handbrake. Don't have to google anything, No, but he maybe should have googled something, because it turns out that there was the October Fest Munich parade going right through the middle of Munich. As we were leaving, it started up, and which meant that all of the roads around the CBD, the central part of the central businesses, were shut down and he couldn't go down in. Our hotel is right in the middle of the CBD, so we couldn't get to a hotel, and he had no idea that was going on, and so he was furious because obviously the traffic was terrible because it was being redirected, and we ended up going around and around in circles trying to get our way, and he couldn't get in there. In the end, we had to leave the bus with our bags and attack the hotel by foot. But then we couldn't get across the bloody road because our hotel was on the other side of the road, and it was the parade was going right down the same road that a hotel was on.
Speaker 1: What a parade.
Speaker 3: Though initially I was like, oh, for fuck sake, and then I was like, God, this is actually quite good.
Speaker 1: It was incredible. I couldn't really figure out what was going on. But they were all different clans or groups. I think we found out later on that they are. They represent different regions. Some of them are cultural groups, which it presume is like a marching band sort of situation. Some of them are regions. Some of them were trades. Like there were guys there representing the dairy industry.
Speaker 3: Yes, they were the big bells. Went they giant bells. So they had the you.
Speaker 1: Know, the classic bells that you think of around an alpine cow's neck, but they were these things were enormous, enormous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were walking down the main street with them that looked like balls. Yes, so they had them hanging between their legs and they were marching in a way that meant that they were dinging in tune.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gong, which is very clear.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of people playing instruments. I mean, if you walked into that like we did, completely cold and saw all those people in traditional German clothes, all of them wearing leader housing, et cetera, and the dindals, a lot of d indals, then you would think every single person in Germany plays an instrument. Yeah, so a lot of French horns, a lot of trombones, a lot of trumpets.
Speaker 1: A glockenspiel, which I've never seen in the wild, a glockenspiel, and vertical glockenspiels. So they're holding basically a brass or silver sort of thing that stands up in front of them and they play it in front of their face. And I thought, well, because some of them were walking, they were representing different eras, so some of them had swords, some of them had rifles. I thought, I gotta be honest. If I show up to a war and my enemy rocks up and he's got five dudes with glockenspiels in the front, I'm like, oh, boys, we are going to light these.
Speaker 2: Can I just make one observation? What I noticed was you obviously had the traditional marching bands. Then there was military outfits represented from the Napoleonic Wars, I think from the eighteen hundreds. Then there was some Wilbar outfits. What I found fascinating was this seemed to be a gap missing in history from about nineteen sort of thirty two ish through to about forty five, and there was no representation, no military representation of that era. Interestingly, that seemed to be missing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that too, and actually the only one that was missing there was one person did have a flag that said forty seven forty, So I think that's when they picked it back up. It's as close as it gets.
Speaker 3: I think they gave it. They gave it a buffer that is as far as it's going to get over. Afraid on that.
Speaker 2: Wow yeah, wow, yeah, wow, Because I mean they lost World War One, didn't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they lost World War One?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, And also I mean, look, it's a bit closer to the bone and Munich, isn't it. It was a city close to Adolf's heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. Yeah, his favorite Italian restaurant was down here. In traveling around Amsterdam, it is not. The buildings are all much newer and much more brutalist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the totally the whole place got completely smashed over.
Speaker 1: I think there's some bits that were left. Yeah, to sort of see those buildings over there might have been a little bit older.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a couple of palaces that got left and stuff like that. But amazing to think this whole place is rebuilt and completely wiped out at one stage. But we did end up then catching a train, didn't we And we sort of headed into the mountains, not to the eagles Nest where at we used to have a place in the in the Alps.
Speaker 3: There I felt like it was close by. There wasn't far.
Speaker 2: Away from the eagles Nest, that's more towards kind of Salzburg, more towards the east. We were straight south of Munich and a place to Turgenesi.
Speaker 1: Gerseycy, beautiful lakeside village. It was just t I mean think Queenstown basically if Queenstown had a thousand year old ditecture. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then we went to a brewery that was built in sixteen twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was part brewery, part church, part monastery and they were all still operating. So as we're sitting there crushing beers, people are walking past to go into their Sunday church service at six o'clock. It was quite something. You just would not see that in New Zealand. No.
Speaker 2: Beautiful the restaurant itself, I mean I'm going to say one hundred tables, yeah, easy.
Speaker 1: It was massive. It was outdoor and indoor.
Speaker 2: Inside it had the beautiful architects, amazing arches, the monastery part of it, and then outside just some people just jugging back darts next door to families and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: They love a dart over herecause the tables are kind of random.
Speaker 2: And then the waiter in Leaderhouse and traditional leaderhouse and bringing us bears and fantastic traditional German food, which is no nonsense. No, you get some meat, you get some potatoes, chuck some cheese in there, but beautifully cocked and everything here is it's nice.
Speaker 1: A service is incredible. We sat down, we had our German friend Axle with us. He was explaining all the different things on the menu, and we all went for the book bell because we're keepis and but they came out in like a split second we'd ordered them, and as soon as we'd ordered them, he turned around walked back out with the most beautiful pork belly I've ever had, and a bunch of steins of beer within like a couple of minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then finishing off with the with the pear snaps. Oh, a couple of rounds of the pear snaps.
Speaker 1: How how does the pear snaps a little bit?
Speaker 3: A little little nugget appear at the bottom that was soaking up the snaps, which he threw down your gall at.
Speaker 2: Last, it's just a nice little palate cleanser, and it kind of cut through the fat as well, or the richness of the pork belly, which can often be a little bit you know, considering your stomach in a certain way, but if you follow it up with a dig stief like that cuts it right down.
Speaker 1: Something about these old I mean I noticed this when we were in Paris last year, these old cultures. Yeah, you can't do it set laugh. They have figured out how to live about a thousand years ago and they've been doing that ever since then. Nothing's changed. Everyone's got a phone now, but that's about the only difference they have.
Speaker 2: They've only worked out a really, really good way to live. They've been living this place for thousands of years. Yeah, it's it's quite interesting.
Speaker 3: And then coming back into Munich in our train ride, Octoberfest was over. They closed at nine and it was about nine thirty by the time we got back into to munchin Huffbenhoff, and.
Speaker 1: I wasn't as chaotic as I thought.
Speaker 3: There were some people who were obviously but steamed, but they were all caring fistfuls of roadies for the train. They were all dead armloads of beers ready to carry on on the train home, yeaph no one blinking an eye, nah, And it wasn't too chaotic. I didn't think it was overly cared it. There was one particular gentleman. He almost fell out of his shoes into an oncoming train. But apart from him, well, and he wasn't coming from October now.
Speaker 1: He was actually coming back to Munich from de Guernsey with us, and we saw him. Joe was so concerned for this old man. He would have been in his late sixties, I think, and he was stumbling down the side of the train that we're going to get on, and Joe was worried he was going to fall in front of the train, so he followed them, and eventually he managed to get on and he sat down, and he just looked like the drunkest man on public transport you've ever seen. He couldn't keep his eyes open. He's looking left, he's looking right. But the thing is he managed the whole thing. He got on the train fine. At any given moment, he could have fallen over, but he didn't. Just what he was teetering on the brink and he got in the guy came down to check everyone's tickets. He fumbled around his pockets, produced the correct ticket. Then when he got off the thing, he just about fell off the fucking out of his shoes.
Speaker 2: A kid, but that's a man who's been doing that his whole life. So he's been getting drunk all his life. He's been getting on public transport, he's been successfully, he's getting from Turgency to Munich successfully.
Speaker 1: He's probably in his eighties. What he reckoned, he could have been. Yeah, and he's a professional, that guy. Probably not the first time he's done that this week. No, that's right, but.
Speaker 2: I thought actually we should hand out a certificate because for the team, because when we were watching the parade yesterday, as it was as it was going down, all of a sudden became quite hot. It was about one o'clock in the afternoon, and it was it was sunny, and it sort of heats up in the afternoon. Here it's about twenty two twenty three degrees. We're standing there the parade. We're told the paride's going to go in for an hour. We arrived at about five minutes and so we had about fifty five minutes before we could go across the road to get to our hotel. So even if we wanted to chick and we couldn't, so we were in. We were taking in the parade and enjoining the parade some some of the group not so much. And then g Lane, to his credit, said you know what, I'm just gonna go and just going to go for a bit of a walk, walked off, classic g Lane.
Speaker 1: He came back with a crate of beer. He came back with a crate like I don't know how many beers.
Speaker 2: Were there, twenty four twenty four beers and a plastic crate milk and five hundred mill bottles which I later found out was six point three percent.
Speaker 1: Two euros each? Rubbish were they? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: And dushed them out to the group. And so we're standing there drinking the beautiful big bots of beer and really nice beer and watching this bloody parade in the sun. It was like, what a what a great addition that was after you, Yeah, what a great thing to do.
Speaker 1: That was grateful, And I cracked because we had a policeman directly in front of us and he was quite militant. This policeman. A couple of people tried to just scarp across the road. No no, no, no no, and then throw them back over the thing. I'm standing there. You gave me this beer. I cracked the top of it and drink it. As I'm drinking, and I locked eyes with the policeman and I was like, they're going to shoot me for this. And then I realized, Oh, we're not in New Zealand. You can actually you can drink on the streets. You do what you want.
Speaker 2: You can drink a big bot on the streets while you're watching a parade. Yeah, no problems about that. He didn't give a shit. He didn't give a shit. I think we take one more quick break. Well, we have one more thing to address on this podcast. It is the Ballad of Maria up next.
Speaker 1: So at the start of the podcast we did address the the lingo that we've learned holds for the hootah, which means a lot of wood at the front of the house, and it's often in reference to an ample bosom and a dondle, which we were presented with almost immediately when finally the parade finished and we managed to get in to check into the hotel, and I was just sitting down having a yarn to some of the other guys on the trip with us, and then Joe said, are you going to come over here and check in with me? I was like, okay, weird that we have to check in together. Okay, I come over there, and Jerry goes, I reckon, you jump in Maria's queue over there. We jump in and sure enough, the lovely Maria was serving us and she was holds her for the hootah very holds for the hoodah. You know, we talk about the size and the precision of the stacking. It was all there in the dendal, in the darndal traditional the traditional dandal then and so Joe's standing there with a hard case suitcase and then on top of it what we call the nuclear football, which is a hard shell case that we carry the podcast equipment in. And so the person in front of him checks it and then she goes next in line. Please. He goes to push on the suitcase. He I'm looking at Marin. He's so flustered. The bottom of the suitcase doesn't move. It hinges at the top. He drops the nuclear football and then trips over his suitcase lad on his face.
Speaker 3: He came out from here with the reddest player and didn't know what.
Speaker 1: To do next. In line, everybody in the fourier stopped, turned around. Joe's on the floor and stuffs everywhere, and he stands up and goes, we got to check in well. The thing is, we were so flustered by that stage that we had to pay a deposit fifty euros for each day that was staying standing there for three days, one hundred and fifty euro Somehow Maria stuffs up the number and it comes out two and a half thousand euros. Jo just pulls the credit card out, swipes it. He was he was taking my money out. I didn't even know what the number was. I didn't care what the number was. It wasn't It was very hard.
Speaker 2: The other problem with Maria was that her name badge was dangerously placed right on us, right on the skirt.
Speaker 1: I'm not the skirt, what would.
Speaker 2: You call it?
Speaker 1: First on the woodstack.
Speaker 2: Was just on the side of the woodstack, wasn't it right on the side of the well.
Speaker 1: And actually, funnily enough, we learned later on that just on the other side of the woodstack was a badge that read trainee. Yes, But of course none of us noticed that at the time because of the wold foot Huz. Yeah. But the thing is he scan lead the credit card two and a half thousand, which is four grand, almost four and a half thousand New Zealand dollars, and it didn't work. It was like card decline and he goes, I'll try it again, pops up again, try to get again again. Yeah, we go again. Then I'm flustered Lanes getting in the elevator. I go over to lane. They're trying to charge us like four grand for this hot room. Heesn't that. It's like one hundred and fifty doors closed. Lane fucked up up, So we're back there, like jeez, Menjo got to come up with four grand between us or Maris angry with you. You just didn't want to upset it.
Speaker 3: You didn't want to disappoint her, and that's totally acceptable.
Speaker 2: But every decline was another moment spent with.
Speaker 1: Maria, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. It's just another moment. Oh well, declines agamage. We'll just keep swiping it up. It's silver the afternoon. One more time, Marina one more time, and eventually she had to get the manageries.
Speaker 1: It's one hundred and fifty year. He looked at us, like, what she was doing A good job.
Speaker 2: Minight she was doing she was in training, she was doing an excellent job.
Speaker 1: She's doing a tremendous job. I think the only thing wilder than the fact that she tried to charge us four grand for us stay here is the fact that we tried to pay it twice. Yeah. Powerful stuff. So we are here in Munich. We are about like a ten minute walk from October Fest. Yep, we're leader hoosened up. You've told me, you've advised me not to wear the birkenstocks that I've got on at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just it does get. It does get a little messy in terms of when you when you're everyone. Yeah, a lot of beer got spilling everywhere. And that's why these are so good, because they just get shit all over it. But yeah, they're quite slippery as well. The floors are quite slippery. So yeah, by the end of the day, she's she's a real beer fist.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, Well, I might have to make a couple of adjustments to my kit and then we might have to head out to the Octoberfest. We'll do another podcast if we survived this recapping the day's events.
Speaker 2: Was there any sport that happened over there?
Speaker 1: Oh? Sorry, yeah, the Black Camps. I watched four balls this morning and we lost.
Speaker 3: We lost some four balls, okay, we were there were a sniff, you know, we need sixty four two wickets and a hand.
Speaker 1: Revenger on ninety one.
Speaker 3: AG's at the other end a bit of a barnacle faced eighteen balls for his zero, so he didn't really you know, you just need to stick around revenge and we could have hit thirty or forty and it would have gone down.
Speaker 1: Revenger got out. Then a rock got bob.
Speaker 2: It's a shame because that's quite close. Yes, we've done quite a lot. We'd stayed in. That we'd stayed in.
Speaker 3: It was that second inning, three hundred plus second innings from Shri Lanka. That was that actually, but that was the nail in the coffin.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah. It was the undoing. And we still don't know who won the election, do we. I believe it's.
Speaker 4: Actually heard that I saw that on Ja run Atunga. It was a grand La Broyce. He's involved in it, isn't he? Jin Remenisce Remenika, I believe it's I believe it's a left wing government.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh well great, all right, let's pack this thing in head out to October Fist. I'm pretty excited. Oh it's you.
Speaker 3: It's gonna love this and I can't wait to for the stories to come out of this tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Here on the agenda. Yeah, we'll see that you've been listening to The ACC's a gender podcast brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio. You get your podcast