Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio, Straight down the Middle, Try get inside the game from every end goal. It's Rugby Direct with Elliot Smith and Liam Nabier, powered by News Talks ed B.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Rugby Direct powered by Access Solutions, elevating you and your business to.
Speaker 3: A higher level. We are in.
Speaker 2: Test Manchester City, Wellington, Napes and we're in my hotel room. We need to record another edition of Rugby Direct on a Thursday evening, which is becoming a regular thing. First and foremost, I'm listening would have seen the team by now? What did you make of that solution?
Speaker 4: Great to be here in the capitol. First and foremost isn't that we survived?
Speaker 3: Were you fluent today?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: It's a bit more ropy than yesterday.
Speaker 4: The All Blacks needed to do a couple of loops. I think I went up to the carpety coast and had to come back again. So yeah, I hope they will hope for a smoothie ride this weekend. Look in terms of the All Black selections, I can't still shake the sense that it's a bit conservative that's not disrespect to Italy. I just probably expected Dave Renny to go away bit further and maybe that's a bit harsh. Maybe that's my perspective on things. But they have made a number of changes. I think it's eleven in the squad five and the starting team, and I can understand where they're coming from around building cohesion and combinations and getting more clarity at this stage of the year under a new management team. But there's just a few more elements. I would have liked to have seen Anton signer, Josh Moreby given a crack from the outset, Kyle Preston on the bench. I don't particularly like the complexion of the bench, but I can't understand the rationale. With a big tour of South Africa and you're going to have those midweek games, You're going to have a lot of time to give players opportunities, aren't.
Speaker 2: You You are indeed, yeah, I tend to think the same vibe. I probably would have started Signa at blindside this week. I think you can have a testing starting test open side of Jacobson and Signa together Artie Savighert at eight. I would have liked to see moreby in the back three Finago would have been interesting to see if he would have played a role. Didn't get coursed have asked to Dave any earlier, but is this cald Clark been moved out of the team.
Speaker 3: Or is it horses for courses.
Speaker 2: There's a few unanswered questions I suppose around it, but yeah, I would have liked to see it. Just another step taken forward from the all blacks around some of those selections. And you know, Dave Rennie was quick to point out that Cortez Ratama only had five six minutes or similar off the bench in christ Church, which is true, but again that's no reason why he couldn't start Preston this week. We'll start righting or even and move Preston off the bench and then you bring Royguard back in for the Irish Test. I think though that could have been a live option potentially. I do get the sense that they are wanting, though, to give Reuben Love the best possible start to twelve before they begin to tinker and move players around him. And that's why again we're probably looking at a Barrett at twelve and Royguard at nine rubbed and some of those other combinations. So I tend to agree that I probably would have gone a step further than maybe Dave Rennie has. But I also think there's a bit to like about this team as well. Love gets another crack at ten. We also see Billy Proctor out as thirteen. I'm still not sold on quint to pirate at thirteen. I think there were a couple of defensive moments last week where he was out of position.
Speaker 3: I think that first try from memory was one.
Speaker 2: Of them, whereas Billy Proctor very involved and his defense is one of his real assets in a test match. So, all in all, an interesting team, and it should been theory, be good enough to beat Italy Italy comfortably in all honesty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so. And look, I can understand the rationale around a quartet of Hurricanes in the back line. Cameray Gard rubin Love is, as you say, retaining that combination giving Love the best possible opportunity with Jeready Barrett outside him, and then also with Leea Ricarda coming onto the wing. I think if you look at players with the most of the game here, you're looking at Lea Ocara on the left wing, Billy Propter at center, Wallace a Titi at six. I think if we draw down into those three guys, who has the most of the game for you.
Speaker 2: I don't know that Walla City has the most again because I think he is a vital part of the All Blacks twenty three. I think Lucky was good last week and the Titi is as good. I think they'll probably form a combination this year where basically they might end up starting fifty percent of the Test roughly by and large and something the other will come off the bench. I think Leroy card is an interesting one. Probably didn't have the best back end of last year on their end of year tour.
Speaker 4: Faded, didn't he end and then didn't play a lot of Super Ruguay this year, only came in at the back.
Speaker 2: End injury wise. I am intrigued to see whether the Rennie views him as an asset off the bench in terms of what he can play, whether he sees him as potentially a Test thirteen. He's played but there for the Chiefs. He's played half back. He's obviously capable on both wings, were seen at to Test level. So to me, he's the you know, the pocket knife you put on the bench potentially, if you're looking at maybe a six two, but that's another step forward. But I think he's got a bit to gain this weekend. And similarly, Billy Proctor. I'm a big fan of Billy Proctor. We haven't seen the best of him in an All Blacks Jersey as yet, and Quinti Pie player is super rugby. I don't know how you fit them all into a back line, but I'm still, as I said before, not convinced that Quinta Pie's best position at thirteen.
Speaker 4: Billy's a very different prospect, isn't it. He's the best distributing center that New Zealand has, I think, and we saw that in Super Rugby. Josh Morby and fing ngon Or four scored seventeen tries single season record each and that's the reflection of what's happening inside them and the pace and the width that the Hurricanes provided also, so I think he's got the most Again. One of the other big questions around this, I thought this week was an ideal time to rest art a severe and it was very interesting to hear Dave Rennie talk about the prospect of Artie having a late start to South African tour. That's come as a bit of a surprise. I thought, if it wasn't this week, then maybe you look at the Bleeders lows he's the new captain. How was sort of put in the cart before the horse a little bit, But that seems far from ideal to bring Savia. But later, even though the All Blacks start with a match against the Stormers in Cape.
Speaker 3: Town, yeah there is a break.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's similar to line series in the fact that the first Test isn't until the twenty first of August, so current there's New Zealand or South African time, but regardless, it's sort of that weekend, so there's a few tour games to get through and so you could possibly have him missed the first couple come in the week before, maybe plays that last tour match before the All Blacks first Test, and you know is there and that that basically gives them sort of essentially close to three weeks off between next week's Test against Ireland, which I'm sure they're not going to rest them for, and you know, the tour game there. So maybe that's a possibility. But I tend to agree with the original point that this was probably set up quite nicely for Artie sa Viga to have a week off. I get they're betting in new combinations, the new leadership, everything around that, but you could have had them either coming off the bench or you know, none of the twenty three entirely.
Speaker 4: He looked pretty battered and beat up last week. He took a knock on the warm up, played through that and then was beaten and bloodied. So he's played for eighteen months. He is going to need a rest at some point. I can see the rationale around that South African window and maybe stepping out of the environment entirely. But I thought this was an opportunity to go with other people in the loose Ford trio. Another big takeaway today there's four players I think a right that will not feature in the first two weeks of Rennie's tenure. Boden Barrett, Kyle Preston helped me out here, Simon Parker and Patrick two Plotu and Rennie said today not necessarily, as he held bent on playing everyone in his thirty four man squad in this three test series. I thought that that was very interesting. Most coaches would want to give everyone game time, but maybe that is a reflection of what's to come in South Africa. But you'd have to think of like Boden Barrett would be absolutely being down the door ittching for an opportunity looking over his shoulder. Ye would be fascinating. If he's not used at all in July.
Speaker 2: Well absolutely, Look and this is two medi conferences or two weekly media conferences in the row now that Dave Rynny has been quick time to line just how valuable Boden Barrett has been in this environment even though he's not playing.
Speaker 3: Last week he said it.
Speaker 2: Before the first Test, he said it again today that he was carving them up a couple of points and their training today obviously he's acting as the ten for Italy and the reposed training session. So I think he gets an opportunity potentially next week. Maybe they look at fullback for him starting in Edden Park, maybe comes off the bench.
Speaker 3: They having gone with.
Speaker 2: A specialist playmaker on the bench in the first couple of weeks, so that may be going slightly against the grain, but I would be surprised if we don't see Boden Barrett next week. Been battling a lot of injuries, I mean that's the story unfortunately of his career is that he's never quite been fully fitt. He's an absolute warrior and a great player, but he's he's battling injuries, but I think is a vital player. And then yeah, I would have liked to see Preston this week. Absolutely. He may get a chance next week. Depending on how long Ratama gets this week, they may be more comfortable to go We'll put Preston on the bench next week rather than Royguard and Parker. Hard to know. He may be the one unlucky one that doesn't doesn't quite get an opportunity in this series.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the other one just now think about Xavier new Mair, George Bowers come on to the bench. They've gone with Ethan de Grue and Tyrolomax because they respect highly Atalys Scrum personally. I would have liked to have seen new Mare go again. I thought he was very impressive off the bench. He's that all court modern day prop and I think he brings a lot more than a George Bauer. So he's a final line decision. Yeah, but I think new Mire is the future and you need to be progressing those guys, so I would have gone that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I suspect they'll revert back to the mix they had last week for next week would be my thought that loom Max probably drops back to the bench on Will comes back in on the bench and maybe Naw me on the bench as well. They're all hurricanes, but that me again the newill comes back into the starting side. Lonax hasn't had a lot of rugby really since September of last year. He's been in and out, you know, thumb injuries and various other bits he's had to have repaired. So I can understand him hopefully getting fifty to fifty five minutes under his belt on the again. Here's a fun fact for you. This Saturday were the first time that Luke Jacobson has started back to back All Blacks tests in his career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's the reflection of his career at test level, isn't it. That's he's been selected by successive All Black coaches but never sees that chance to say I'm I'm a must have selection. And Dave Rennie today and I think he's right. I'd agree with him. Last week was Luke Jacobson's best test. He got a couple of early penalties, but has worked great his defense front on defense, his ability to clean bodies and provide that quick rock ball, the slick off fload for Will Jordan's try. Look, I wasn't a big fan of his selection and I think he proved me and a number of other people are wrong and he's been rewarded again with another.
Speaker 2: Start he has men and look, I've still on this podcast that you can never you know, I've always wanted him to succeed the Test level, but never quite seen it. But maybe we are beginning, and this early days, but you know, if he can back it up again this week, And as I said, I went through the stats before he's played back to back weeks off the bench or starting one week off the bench next week, but this is the first time he's getting back to back starts and maybe better lat than ever. It might be that the kick start he needs to his Test career. So that's the All Blacks twenty three. They should do a job on this Italian team. Look on the davern he was quick to point out the heat in Japan last week, and it can be oppressive at.
Speaker 3: This time of the year. We've seen that.
Speaker 2: But Italy were really poor and really disappointing given the moments they've had in the six Nations over the last couple of seasons. I know they're missing Angkapuzzo who's back home, and a couple of other players that weren't selected but just didn't quite get going. And it's hard to see twelve hour flights in New Zealand being the tonic they need to everything for everything clicking them to.
Speaker 4: Get Yeah, look at Italy's first test in New Zealand. Since two thousand and nine, they have made a couple of key changes at fullback, left wing and blindside flankers, so it's a stronger team by the back end of their year. They haven't got everyone in their squad, leaving a couple behinds. It's going to be a tall order. I would expect the All Blacks to put fifty plus on this Italy team, particularly given the strength of the All Black team, the combinations, the directives around prioritizing cohesion over maybe fast tracking some of those rookies. I think we see this All Black team taking another step up, particularly on attack, and they need to make some big shifts on defense as well. What about the Wellington who doo h? Was it three from their last ten? I think the last match here was that record defeats to the box Does that play any part, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think it plays a part, But the more it gets talked about, the more it is sort of in the back of the mind. And there's no reason for them to have been this bad and willing obviously it's from Boxer are a very very good team, but it's become almost comical how they found ways to lose and conspire to play really badly in the Capitol. And you know, I'm sure I listeners caught up with us as well that they only arrived into Wellington today. Maybe that was a factor in trying to change up some of the momentum. This decision was made by the previous all Blacks coaching regime.
Speaker 3: Maybe they did this to.
Speaker 2: Basically try and shake off the Capital who do Whatever it might have been, I can't see it happening on Saturday. I think they should be far too good for this Italian team. But it is quite a funny sideshow to have this still going on, because really some of them, you know, they shouldn't have lost half of them, if not more.
Speaker 4: It's funny they had prior to this run that she had a great record in Wellington. I think it's a bit of a non factor, particularly for Italy, and with Dave Renny coming in as well. He's from Wellington coaching, started coaching the Alpert Cults was a teacher and a publican, won a provincial title with Wellington in two thousand, knows this region well, so I think he feels entirely comfortable. And I really don't even think the All Blacks will touch on that this week.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so either. I think it'll be left to the side of the discussion. So the All Blacks Italy on Saturday afternoon two plus five sold out crowds got there in the end with the locals and yeah, great to see and hopefully the occasion matches it because the last time there was a high profile rugby game played in the Capitol, you know, we got ourselves entertained. Maybe not if you're a Chiefs fan, but it was assumably great occasion. So hopefully more of the same on Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll keep an eye out for trains and maybe you can do some tooting. And you are on the Hurricanes bandwagon now, so.
Speaker 2: The only bandwagon I want, that white bait wagon that's on the Viaduct, which we do need to go check out instantly on Saturday morning at some point.
Speaker 4: Yes, indeed, I can't wait for that.
Speaker 3: That indeed, we'll do us. Rugby Director.
Speaker 2: Quick update on the nation's championship Juicy Patch Saga. I had a response from New Zealand Rugby and I was told that they aren't required to wear them the badge, so they're not wearing it at this point in time, So there you go. I think they're the only ones that didn't.
Speaker 4: So yeah, fair enough in that infancy, isn't it It is?
Speaker 2: Indeed yeh see guys, and there's no sponsor attached to this competition. You I think cut always are just pulling back until they're you know, back on solid ground and not getting entangled. And other developments worldwide put it that way, they will do us for Rugby Direct. We're back early part of next week with the reaction to this Italy game. We built up to Ireland as well thanks to Mark Kelly. We're powered by Excess Solutions, elevating you and your business to a higher level.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks ed B listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go. With our podcasts on iHeartRadio.