Speaker 1: You're listening to a shares these podcast. It feels like housing has just dropped off the radar as a conversation in my world anyway? Is that a feature of the economy that we're in at the moment as well?
Speaker 2: What we've seen in the housing markets, there's a period where people may have looked around and gone, actually, I might get better returns elsewhere. And that's a pretty big change for a Kiwi mindset. But you know, we do still love our bricks and mortar. The housing market has been deliberately squashed by politicians and central bankers, and it's gone sideways for you know, three or four years, which is highly unusual. But what happened beforehand, with that forty six percent gain in eighteen months and then a twenty percent drop, that was quite extraordinary, and we're still kind of flushing things out. The Reserve Bank was quite clear and thereforecast that house prices only go up very gradually, and the so called wealth effect that drives Kiwis, has driven Kiwis for years, is not part of their forecast trajectory. And I think that's quite interesting because Kiwis normally love the fact that their house price goes up five ten percent. They feel like they're, you know, fifty to one hundred thousand dollars better off than they were last year.
Speaker 1: Maybe that jet ski is looking like.
Speaker 2: She's easily affordable now, you know, the.
Speaker 1: New Ford Ranger or whatever it is. Yet all of basics, so a lot of that is priced into how businesses are expecting to come out of this. Surely then that's been the behavior, but it's not there. So what does that tell you about where this recovery goes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and do you know what when businesses come to us, particularly the smaller ones, they go to the bank and they say, I've got this fantastic idea, and we say, great, how much do you want? Well, I want one hundred thousand dollars. Okay, you can either just take the one hundred thousand dollars and here's your interest rate, or you can link your house to that loan and here's your interest rate. People go, okay, I'll link my house. So that wealth effect. That feeling is present in small business owners as well. If their house price is going nowhere, they feel nervous about the whole their whole situation, including your business.
Speaker 1: Maybe need a banking system that it's not so keen to just lean against houses all the time.
Speaker 2: Then you know what we need. We need lower risk waitings on business lending. That's what we need. That's what Anna Bremen's come from. In Sweden. The ris bank has lower risk weightings than us, so you are lower them.
Speaker 1: They basically go, we're prepared to accept potentially higher losses. We're just going to lower the amount of capital that a business bank, that a bank has to hold for business lending. Wow.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and that means that that first Interestrida I talked about is lower. It's not going to be as low as linking it to a house, because we've got collateral of a house right Whereas you know, linking to a business it's high risk. But just lowering that get more money into small to medium businesses is something this economy really really lacks and does not do well.
Speaker 1: Sounds like an Agreement's got a lot to think about it.
Speaker 2: Investing involves the risk you might lose the money you start with. We recommend talking to a licensed financial advisor. We also recommend reading product disclosure documents before deciding to invest.