Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the Weekend Collective. I'm Tim Beverage. By the way, gosh, a couple of fantastic hours, No pressure on my next guest. We had a great interesting interview on politics with Lockwoodsmith just around the UK election, but also if he had an interesting take on First Past the Post and a certain nostalgia for it which was kind of irresistible the way he described it. But anyway, you can go and check that out. Go and look for the Weekend Collective on iHeartRadio. All the show's packaged up into any little package, and the last hour talking about the benefits of lifting heavy weights when it comes to defeating or fending off osteoporosis, and a fascinating discussion with with Greg Pain from BioSport dot in dot codd en Zen. But right now it's smart money and my guest is while she's written a few books, she's a personal wealth educator from Acumen.
Speaker 3: And it is Lisa Dudson, Lisa High, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm very good, Thank you, Bonip.
Speaker 2: It is well one would hope, so I guess yeah, you are you? A winter person.
Speaker 4: Not really. I mean I've just come back. I've you know, obviously you read to get the violins out, but I've just come back from six weeks in Greece and Turkey, so you know, the whole winter things a little bit more jealousy.
Speaker 2: I just feel a bit a bit hot, a bit cold here, just because I've been in Greece. You know, it's all sunny and hot.
Speaker 3: I've got a maide of mind.
Speaker 2: He's just been. He's in Greece right now and sending me photos and that all looks so it does. I mean, obviously people make sure they send you the best pecks, but man, it does look gorgeous in that water and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I have to say though, the water when we're in Greece was pretty chilly. The water in Turkey was nice. But you know, you know, we loved being away, but also we came home, we thought, and you know, it's pretty hard to beat in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Oh nice to be home then, yeah, good on you, Yeah and.
Speaker 4: Really nice, you know. I mean, it's nice scenery overseas, but I think a lot of people don't look after the country quite as well as maybe what we do in New Zealand. So that's a nice thing about being back home.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: The other thing you've been if you've been traveling there, you've been almost at the peak of sort of summer type. Well not the peak, but it's fairly hot. Lots of tourists and.
Speaker 3: I always think that the Yeah, I like.
Speaker 2: To travel on sort of off season now because the crowds and some of these you know, you see photos of the Trevy Fountain or something, but you see the reality versus the brochure, and it's like, you know, I think they had to close the Trevy Fountain or something. I'm thinking of a different country obviously.
Speaker 4: Bit yeah, I mean honestly that we were in Greecelan Pantheon at the beginning of May and we were shuffling with that people, right, yeah, so crazy busy.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Well, nice to have in the studio. Do we need to adjust their conditioning for you?
Speaker 4: I don't know, it's got to ask it out of it out of the heat.
Speaker 2: Can you set it to grease temperature please?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: A nice twenty eight actually I think we were up to thirty nine. Oh no, that wasn't so pleasant.
Speaker 2: But I'm a winter guy. I like to be able to just dress for the cold. But anyway, enough of that now. Actually just sort of leading into the topic, what was it like being away? And you obviously as a tourist, you've sort of got your roast tinted glasses on a little bit from time to time. What was it like coming back to New Zealand Because we are pretty down on ourselves right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look at there is a little bit of that sentimental all around the world. I think, you know, everyone in Greece and Turkey was talking about the fact that, you know, the cost of living. I mean Turkey in particular has had phenomenal inflation and I was actually surprised to how expense for everything was in Turkey. So, you know, I think we've we're not on our own talking about how tough it is out there at the moment, and that was a common thing that everyone was talking about while we're away.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because I've spoken to people in Australia and a lot of the lot of the well, the zeitgeist in New Zealand as everyone's going on, it's so great in Australia and everyone's leaving, and yet when you speak to people who have been living in Australia, they complain of the same things that we're winging about as well. It's funny, isn't it that we have this gilded sort of image of everywhere else, but to hear someone in Australia, oh, mate, the cost of living has gone up and the interest rates and et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, And I was like, oh, it's almost a relief.
Speaker 4: And I think also too, human beings always tend to think the grass is greener on the other side, and invariably it's not. And you know, that was the thing we love to be in overseas, but we're also super glad to be home as well, because there's lots of great things about being in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Oh that is that's surprisingly refreshing to hear that, Lisa, good on you. But now look while we're talking about it though, because at the moment, I mean, where there's conversations not that we're going to be talking about so much about the property market, but one of the things that we're chatting yesterday with Kelvin Davidson from the from Core Logic about how the saggy economy is you know, the effect on the property market, but the word saggi economy and the fact that there are a lot of people who are struggling.
Speaker 3: Because forget tax cuts.
Speaker 2: If Adrian or keeps his cash right up there, that's doing a hell of a lot more impact on people's lives than any little tax cut can do. And people are doing it tough, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Oh? Look absolutely, I mean there's no question. It's just about everyone you talk to is doing it tough in some shape or form. You know, what, did I read the other five hundred thousand, almost five hundred thousand Kiwis are behind in some kind of debt repayment?
Speaker 2: Yeah it was I think, Yeah, it was just under five hundred thousand people who've defilt they had defaulted on some debt arrangement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's that's really significant. And that's whether it's your credit card, or whether it's your more good or car payments or business loans, you know, could be a whole range of things. So I don't know how that compares. I mean, it is high. I don't know how much higher statistically it was from last year though.
Speaker 2: But you know how they measure that would have been? How would they get the data on that. Would they would they get data from for instance, I mean like your water care bill, if you have missed the payment, would you suddenly go bing wow?
Speaker 4: And then that's the thing. They probably do some surveys and then makes a bunch of assumptions, I would imagine, because it would be quite hard to get that really accurate data, I would think, But it would be if you missed a utility payment.
Speaker 2: I missed them all the time, only because I'm so like disorganized. Well, it's not the biggest bill you get. And I do pay attention to my credit card bill because that's the one where hello, twenty eight percent or whatever if you don't pay it twenty yeah.
Speaker 4: But the utilities, though, if you don't pay it on time, you're often paid a ten percent penalty on it.
Speaker 2: I think I got a four dollar penalty at one stage, So I was like, that's not very you know, but it's actually you know what, let's not get distracted by that. But the thing is financial stress is I think one of the if not the top of the list for the most debilitating thing that can affect Okay, I know there are people who will have health issues and stuff that can be also very stressful, but in terms of it's a very common ailment. Oh, you got to have financial stress, and how to deal with that when the solution financially is not always immediately apparent. I mean, you've written books about money and finance and things like that. I mean, what are your sort of observations on the best ways to deal with it when you really are just thinking, gosh, I'm just sweating from week to week.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, And I guess there is two pop components that one is the mental head space around it and that sort of financial stress, and then there's also the practical side of financial stress. So we look at it more from the mental perspective. I guess it's just trying not to let it overwhelm you and recognizing that you are going through some tough time and not beating yourself up too much about it, because I think that's one of the challenges that a lot of people have is they kind of ready give themselves a good kicking about the fact that they're in the maybe the meat that they are that they're in. But a lot of other people, as we've just heard with that statistic, are in a bit of a francive pickle as well. So I think it's you know, you're not on your own, and it's just kind of going, Okay, well, let's just trying to work through this, maybe some meditation or mindfulness.
Speaker 2: Because I think that the problem with it is is if you're the way it can be so I can't think of the word, but it seeps its way into other aspects.
Speaker 3: Of your life.
Speaker 2: Absolutely when you're unhappy, So maybe you're you've got less patience for your kids and your relationship and your grump and things like that, and it just has this and you know, I just wonder if if there are any what are the best ways? I guess maybe with the question we should ask is what is the worst way to deal with financial stress? Which is probably to ignore it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, to put your head in the sand. Yeah, absolutely. And you know, even if you've got problems with the ID for instance, you know the ID, and I've said this before on the show, is that they're actually really good to deal with if you get in some challenges with anything, you with tax debt or i idid it. But if you put your head in the sand, then they conver the complete opposite. And it's the same with payment plans. I've worked with a couple of friends and clients over the years who've got themselves behind in payments, and if they just go and ignore things, it gets really bad. But if you actually contact those people that you own money to and say, oh, look, i'm struggling, how do we work through a bit of a plan, then you might be surprised about how open people are to putting a plan together for you. But if you're going to go down that path too, though, you need to make sure that you do stick to it and you communicate. So dealing with things I think does make a big difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'd love to hear from you on one hundred and eighty ten eighty if you've got any questions for Lisa and you, or you're struggling with just the load, financial load and how you're going to get ahead. Problem shared is a problem halved, as they say. But if you're seeking some input and I think actually picking up the phone sometimes on shows like this where it's fairly anonymous, that sometimes it can be just that first step to maybe addressing the problem that's grinding your down. I mean, I've been I'm going to it's certainly not about me but I've been a singer and a performing artist for many years, and let me tell you, you go through a lot of financial stress, and probably some of the financial stress I feel now it's still an overhang from those emotions of you know, when you're not sure exactly where the next gig's coming from and how you're going to pay for things.
Speaker 4: Well, that's right because you've had an experience that at times wasn't necessarily great, and so that you tend to reflect back on that experience that wasn't necessarily great. And I think you know, when you are facing that stress, you know, picking up the phone, talking to a friend, talking to a family member, getting it off your chest. You know, there's some really great services around New Zealand, you know, budget free budgeting advisory services. If you work for a large corporate, they've got, you know, an employee assistance program that you may be able to tap into to get some financial help. So there are a lot of resources out there for you. I think it's just having that courage to say, look, you know, I am struggling, and to kind of own it and recognize it and then say, okay, well what can I actually do to move forward? And not give yourself a good bit kick about it.
Speaker 2: Well, give us a call on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty if you've got you may have some advice for people who are really struggling. Is if you've been through tough times and you look at a lot of successful people who and it seems like a trite story that a lot of them like to point towards hardship in this, but actually it's true a lot of them have been through that hardship. And the difference between what was the difference between single swimm I don't know what it would have been, but we'd love to hear from you on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty.
Speaker 3: I would just want to.
Speaker 2: Dig into the the IRD because I've I was pleased to hear you mention the IRD and that they're not the sort of the bogey man that you know it used to be, the sort of the ultimate sort of heartless organization. The tax man is coming for you. But they, my dealings have been quite surprising over the years in that if you, especially if you communicate with them, they are my I mean, look, there'll be people who have exceptions to it. I thought they're fantastic actually, yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think you know that's you know, my personal experience and experience you know, obviously working with people over the twenty five years that I have done, is that if you communicate politely and fairly, they will do the same. Right, But if you're going to give them grief because you're going to remember, the person at the end of the telephone and customer service is not the person who sets the tax rates. So if you've put an issue with how much tax you're paying, then obviously you're going to have a problem. But you know, if you're just going I'm behind in my taxes and I'm really struggling, and you're genuine about it, they will you know, they're not going to come down on hard, are you, because how are they going to get their money if they just come down to hard on you. They're going to genuinely want to try and put a plan in place to pick up their taxes. Right, But then you've got to make sure that you follow that pain and then you communicate if you're not following that plan, because otherwise if you don't, then you get yourself into trouble.
Speaker 2: If you have people talking to you about what are the first bits of advice you give to people who are struggling to make ends meet that they maybe hadn't anticipated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I think it's coming back to the basics, which is really looking at every single thing that you spend money on. And this is something I found really quite interesting because obviously I've looked at so many people's financial situations over doing this for twenty five years, and you know, people go, oh, you know, I'm doing it pretty tough. And then I see the nails, and I see the new iPhones and you see all these sort of things that may be important to them, but really, if you're in a bit of a financial pack or how important actually are they? So I think it's just been super realistic and going back and going what other things I can genuinely cut out. It's not necessarily forever, but just to get yourself through this tough time.
Speaker 2: Is that one of the mental.
Speaker 3: Blocks for people though, because.
Speaker 2: I would say for one of the mental blocks to people properly planning for their retirement is so they don't want to know how bad it's looking yep, and what they're going to have to do. And that would be the same that you're worried about certain key little things in your life that you're thinking, but I just couldn't bear it if I had to give up this simple pleasure yep, or this, And I think that's a really understandable human thing You've got to find you suddenly aiming to metaphorically speaking sleep on a you know, on a plank.
Speaker 4: Well, that's right. But then the other side of it is is going, okay, well, if I don't, you know, let's let go of this thing that gives me a bit of pleasure, then where am I going to be financially? What's the other side of that? So I get this temporary relief from getting my nails done using the same example, But then on the other side of you thinking, gosh, you know, I'm not paying off my credit card, so just one negate the other. And then the other thing to think about, too, is that you don't necessarily not have to do that thing that gives you pleasure for the rest of your life. You may just say, look, I'm just going to knock on its head for three months just to get me through the tough time that I'm in at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So we'd like to hear from you E one hundred and eighty ten eighty. If you've got any questions for Lisa Dudson, she's are you actually do we describe you as a financial advisor as well? I can't mean what the rule?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I am in a financial advisor, but I don't I'm not a regulated one.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, So we're not giving specific financial advice, but if you if you'd like to have a chat, share your experience, or if you're seeking some advice on a problem you want to get on top of, then we'd love to hear from you on how do you deal with financial stress without resting ruining your life or seeping into.
Speaker 3: Every other area of your life.
Speaker 2: Give us a call eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty in text on nine two nine two, and actually this hour as well, we're else it going to touch on you know, there's is there a silver lining to some of these dark times and opportunities that might present themselves, and how do you make sure that you're one of the ones who does it. It's twenty two past five News Talks.
Speaker 3: He'd be.
Speaker 2: Now sunbound myself.
Speaker 5: Heselfvery week content.
Speaker 2: Yes, welcome back to smart Money. This is the week in collective. I'm Tim Beverage. My guest is Lisa Dudson's. She's a personal wealth educated from acumen. She's how many books have you written, Lisa hones?
Speaker 4: Seem to you might, oh, that'd be helpful at eight eight, But that's over twenty years.
Speaker 2: Wow, I remembered it was quite some number when you wrote your first Yep, what's because I would have thought you'd get it out of your system if you've written, you know, I guess, yeah, what makes you write?
Speaker 3: Say for it? You've written number two?
Speaker 2: One, it does well, maybe I'll run another and okay, three, that's fine, But then you go four, five, six, seven, eight.
Speaker 4: Now, there was seemed to be a bit of a reason why I wrote one, you know, at the time, and and the first one was actually because I used to talk to property vistas all the time and teach them how about how to be property visitas. And then I kind of got a bit bored telling people the same thing over and over again, and then kind of thought, well, why didn't I put this into a manuscript? And then I put into a manuscript, and then I had a bright idea one day I thought why didn't I publish it? So I opened up the Yellow Pages and started ringing, and I rung Penguin and they said, they said, oh yeah, yes, Sin just manuscript, and so I sent it and they said, oh, you know, we're quite keen to publish that, but then turned it down at the lembit of hour and then I was like, oh my god. So I went into morning for about a month about it, and then I thought, oh no, I'll pick up Yellow Page and I you know this, this is in the old days, it's twenty years ago. And then I sort of rang a few other publishers and then got a contract with Read and Random House and had to choose between the two, and then you know, the rest is history. So it kind of started as a way for me to be more efficient and not keep repeating myself to all my clients.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure you could invite somebody comes on financial advice and you go, listen, just here's the book.
Speaker 4: Come back from your well, there's a lot of information to try and impart right. You know, you're charging people. So I was trying to be efficient and be cost effective for my clients, and you know, and I've just had.
Speaker 3: This sort of comic image of like, oh, look, here's here's the book.
Speaker 4: Well that's not how most people typically decide to write a book, but it was quite effective.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, let's just on the a few people are suffering from financial stress. What are the proactive steps that I mean, I'm not saying we're going to come up with a list of things, but from your experience, what are the things that can be helpful to people to start one perceiving their problem in a different way? I guess yeah, Well.
Speaker 4: It gives me talk to a little bit about the sort of the mental side of it and how you approach it, because if you're a bit more positive about it, I think you're gonna have a better outcome than if you're very doom and gloom about it. So that probably would be your first point. The second thing is probably really around creating some awareness because most people, it's really quite surprising is how little awareness people have over where they actually spend their money, but tepicularly in the world that we live in today, because we just you know, we se that credit cards. In fact, we don't even do that now. We use our phones right with payWave, and so we lose a lot of that awareness that we had when we did use to use cash.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: There's some app, isn't there is it? I seem to have some recollection of an app that you could plug your finances in too, and it would tell you you've spent In fact, I think I might have had it but deleted it.
Speaker 4: There's been a few different ones over there.
Speaker 2: You've spent this amount at the supermarket, You've spent this on at cafes, and it gives.
Speaker 4: You categorizer and some of them have, you know, the categorized you're spending.
Speaker 2: But then you've got to still to look at it like, I don't think I like what I read so well.
Speaker 4: And that's the problem right with awarness thing, right, because you've got to have a bit of a bit of confidence and a bit of bravery when you do actually decide that you want to be a little bit more aware with your money. But that's I think, really what your first step is is to create that awareness, and then once you've got that n awenness, you can actually go, well, am I actually being smart with where I'm spending my money? And because I've done this for so many years now, I know that in the vast majority of cases when people actually do pay some attention and track where they spend their money for let's say a month, they will usually be quite surprised about where they spend their money because it's twenty dollars here, it's fifty dollars here, and then they don't realize how much that adds up to over a period of time.
Speaker 2: It's actually recently I have I don't eat out very much, and I think I did. We have a bit of a get together with some of the hosts here who work overnights and we do a regular monthly lunch. But it gave me a taste for having and I did stop and I thought, hang on a minute, so that cost me X that one I did on Wednesday, and I went, I, I'm I have to button back on that, because man, it adds up as soon as you just do a little bit of analysis. It can be quite confronting because that piece of plastic that just goes blip.
Speaker 4: Yep, yeah, well that's wrong.
Speaker 3: Pray.
Speaker 4: A lot of my more professional clients who reasonable and comes maybe spending five teen thousand dollars a year easily on lunches and lattes and the odd wine after work and not even talking about dinners out at night, but just literally buying their lunches and morning teas well.
Speaker 2: Actually even and when we don't even need to be talking about having a flash lunch where you sit down for a nice meal and have it last one. But if you are buying a filled roll yep, five times a week and then you go, yeah, i'll get a coffee today, I'll get another call.
Speaker 4: Well, there's probably twenty dollars easy, no sweat, Yeah, that's right. So all those things add up and so then you go, okay, well is there a smarter way for me to spend my money? So I think it's looking at them and go you know, are you going to make can you make different decisions about where you spend your money? And then the other side of it is to kind of look at and where can you create some income. So I saw something that came through on my Facebook page of the day that you know, someone was looking to house Chinese students who were over here for I think it was only about a month or so, but they were paying four hundred dollars a week. Now, you know, you've got to obviously feed them, but it's probably not a huge amount extra on your family grocery bill, but that could be a way of raising ony twelve hundred dollars over a month, which may help with paying off a credit card bill. And then you may say, well, you don't necessarily like having other people in your homes, but then you how do you you know, you just goint of reconcile the value of that money versus having someone in your house, and it could be a great cultural experience too for your kids.
Speaker 2: The other well, the other thing you touched on earlier at the start of the show is budgeting services. Yeah, and I would imagine there wouldn't be too many people involved in budgeting services who who would say, actually, we had this person and we couldn't save them any money.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Oh, honestly, I've you know, I've been doing this for twenty five years, what I've been doing and doing consultations and charging people for it. And I would be absolutely stunned if I have ever had a client and the whole time that I've been in business that I haven't been able to save them my fee of coming to see me. Because there's always something that you can find, right, and part of it is is because you know, just human nature sometimes we don't want to have to look at some of those things because we go, oh, we actually really like that, so but you may like it, but it may not actually be that good for you.
Speaker 3: What a sort of it?
Speaker 2: What are some obvious areas of wastage that people might find if they went or hang on a minute, I think she's got a point that I'm not going to have.
Speaker 3: A look at that.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean, I think food is probably number one. It's looking at making visual food. Yeah, yeah, and let's take aways. You know a lot of people, you know busy, so you know uber eats, you like, I've got lots of friends who are complaining about their kids spending all their money on ubeats, you know, and after Nuban eats you're paying more than what you are even going out.
Speaker 2: And actually well also and actually I think probably because it's uber eats, people think, oh, it's quite a bargain driven sort of deal.
Speaker 4: No, because they usually the I think the prices are usually higher with ub eats than if you went and picked up takes away and they've got a fee.
Speaker 2: Usually well, I wouldn't know because I've never done them. Because I'm inherently sort of thinking I'll do it myself, thanks very much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well there is usually sober.
Speaker 4: So usually well we order some for some friends, some burgers one night from I don't know where it was, and they were like thirty dollars each by the time around burger on uber eats, and I was like, holy moly, that's expensive, you know, So that's that's not one. I mean, I think food is a big one, right, So it's lunches, lat's, you know, you know, takeaways, Uber eats, that's a biggie. Also, looking sometimes at your clothes, you know, because there are some great secondhand places out there where you can get second hand clothes, second hand clothes for your kids, second hand clothes for yourself. That can save you a bit of money. There's also quite a bit in nails, facials, massages, a lot of you know, those sorts of things that make you feel.
Speaker 2: Good, well actually beauty treatments and bety treatments. Yeah yeah, I mean again, I don't have a hell of a lot to do with that apart from the old hair cut.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you know, you don't spend a lot of money on facial.
Speaker 2: It's no regular facial, you can tell.
Speaker 3: I don't spend a lot of money on probably is it a surprise.
Speaker 2: I mean, so if people went through a simple what period of time would they look at with their budget, basically a month or time?
Speaker 4: I think a month is the minimum and if you can check in and I always think if you can do it really strictly with the month, So if you had some sort of notebook or piece of paper that you wrote down every single set that you spend over the course of a month, that would give you a really good understanding. If you could squeeze it sort of to two months or three months, that would be awesome. But I think one month is the minimum. And say, because I've done this exercise with so many people over the years, they winge and moan, and you know, but once they actually do it, they actually realize how rewarding and how helpful it actually is.
Speaker 2: And how does that change? I mean, what does that lead to in the end if they once they started addressing that, what's the sort of journey they take? Well, they just.
Speaker 4: Typically go, gosh, I had no idea of spending that much money on that, right, So that's really what the issue is. And then it's going, Okay, now I realize where I'm spending my money and I've got this financial stress on the other side of me. How do I actually reconcile those things? And it's the same when you're trying to lose weight, you know, the Dietesians always tell you to write down anything that you eat so you're not you know, and then you're starting to realize, oh, well, I'm having three chocolate bars every afternoon, right, And whereas if you hadn't written it down, you may not have been aware that you were okneaking in the chocolate bars.
Speaker 2: On the more serious side of things, okay, imagine there'll be people who have lost their jobs, and we've had some high profile job losses of course with the news have people which is just one section of society where people have lost their jobs are very public. But if you've got a mortgage, you know the cash rate's still high, you might have refixed recently, and it's not just a case of cutting out the lattes.
Speaker 5: What is.
Speaker 3: What is the first step you should I guess you should.
Speaker 4: Talk to your bank, absolutely, talk to your bank, talk to your mortage advisor, and then go okay, right, I'm just not going to be able to pay my mortgage this month, and you know, get a bit of a break on your mortgage if you can. So that's the that's the first thing that you've really got to be doing again. It's all this stuff about being proactive, because I think as soon as you get onto it, the better off you're going to be.
Speaker 3: Has there been it?
Speaker 2: I remember my Donkeys years ago that you could read the property press and there was always a section at the back well. At one particular time it must have been in an earlier crash, but there were a lot of mortgage sales the black and white pages. And I think from chatting to people in the property sector as well, in which you've been heavily involved as well, that there has been a change of culture even that we will never see those days of those chapters of mortgage sales because the banks, it's just the institutions seem to approach it from a more I don't know, this is the last thing they want to do. I wonder if in days gone by, maybe twenty or thirty years ago, mortgage b sales happened more frequently simply because the attitude of the bank, the culture of banking is. Is there a difference now being a bit too sunbeam and rainbows sort of optimistic about the way that the banks treat these things well.
Speaker 4: I mean I don't necessarily know because they still are morgs Stales happening, but I think there is differently. You know, these banks today have departments that deal with financial hardship. So the banks don't want to They want to try and make it work for you. And this is the same when I was saying with the IAD before. You know, if you're proactive and you sit down and go, I'm in this, you know, financial challenge, how do we work through it? They will do their best because they don't want to tip you out of their you know, out of your home. It's the last thing I want to do. But again, you can't just ring them after the third month that you've not paid your more, because you've got to do it as soon as you possibly can.
Speaker 2: Okay, look, we take a quick break and come back in a moment. It's a twenty three twenty three minutes to six. Gosh, time flies already. We're with Lisa Dudson talking about financial stress. How have you dealt with it?
Speaker 3: With it? Have you any lessons you like it?
Speaker 2: In part to us that might be useful for people who are doing it tough. Right now, this is NEWSTALKSB. It's O eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and the time is twenty Hamman. I almost read that time for a second, twenty three minutes to six.
Speaker 5: Please please please don't true, please please please don't bring me years.
Speaker 2: We just us and welcome back to the Weekend Collective. This is smart money. My guest is Lisa Dudson, Personal wealth, educated from acumen. Now, actually we're going to shift the topic as well, because there are two sides to There are two sides Lisa.
Speaker 3: Of course to win.
Speaker 2: There's a bit of a downturn, and that in fact, I know that unless I do something about this myself, I'll be kicking myself in a couple of years time again. But of course, in tough times, there are other opportunities to be had, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Oh, look absolutely, I mean, now's a great time to be looking at, you know, the property market, because the property markets really in a bit of a lull at the moment. I mean, I think some people tend to think that it's you know, has further to fall, and maybe that might be on the short term, but I think Every commentator that I tend to talk to is pretty positive about the future. But that future probably starts next year rather than this year.
Speaker 2: What do you think I mean, how I mean this is reckons It does have.
Speaker 3: The idea. It does feel like it might be soft for a while.
Speaker 2: Should I say because we've got the government saying we want to Well, it's not because of them, it's because, you know, it's expensive to borrow in comparison to what people have got accustomed to two or three years ago, and there are people struggling, there are people who need to sell. How long do you see that sort of the current situation persisting for, you.
Speaker 4: Know, looking into my very hazy crystal ball, I would think that as soon as we are start sing industrates come down, that will be quite a fundamental change. Obviously, firstly from the perspective that you you're starting to pay less for your money. You've i mean for a lot of people who got fixed rates that you've obviously got to come to the end of your current rate to be able to take advantage of that. But then also sentiment changes, and I think that's the challenge we have at the moment, is that when everyone we're in the middle of the winter. We're in the middle of winter with the economy as well as the weather, so everyone around you is often talking about losing your jobs, and things are tough, so you get a bit kind of drowned in it, and that's all that you see. Whereas let's imagine we get to the end of the year and interstrates start coming down, some is out, you know, sunshining every day, and then people will start feeling a lot more positive, and that has a bit of a it becomes a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. So I think, you know, we're not far away from that.
Speaker 2: It does have I do have a sense that with property that we're a little bit like a herd, of course, and there are many who who sort of run in a different path to the herd, and those people probably sometimes do quite well because the interest rates drops all of a sudden, Whe's like, oh, you know, put the heads up and think about getting in to it, and all of a sudden. I wouldn't say there's going to be a stampede or anything, but we have seen those moments in the proper mines of way, of course.
Speaker 4: So look, you know, a lot of my friends of mine and people I know that are successful investors have all been buying right now if they can get the money, they're buying right because I think that's never going to be cheaper than what it is right now. You know, Back in October sort of into twenty twenty one, I was saying to everyone who listened to me, is like, don't buy. We're in a bubble. The prices are too crazy, and we had the whole sort of fom I think going on the fear of missing out. So everyone was going gangbusters and going into property paying silly, silly prices. And then obviously the thing you know that started it peeked out and it has dropped it a twenty odd percent since then, so you know, but it's that herd mentality, right, and people are saying, to my least, you're wrong. It's still got lots to go. Everything's happening, and I'm like, it's getting to out of control. And it's the same thing in reverse now. Right, everyone's thinking very doom and gloom. But I think it's actually the time to be seriously looking at buying.
Speaker 3: For that.
Speaker 2: It's interesting for people who actually are looking to sell simply because they want to well they want to upsize, downsize or whatever. But buying and selling it, I guess the buying and selling in the same market is never such a problem, but it does.
Speaker 3: Is it a tricky sort of.
Speaker 2: Climate to negotiate it if you're getting out to get into something else.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it was funny because a conversation with a friend came to mind recently and that an investment property and they were thinking about selling it because they go, you know, seven percent interest rates. It's costing us X dollars you know, per month extra than what we thought it was going to cost to keep this rental property. So we've got negative cash flow on it. And I'm like, okay, well why did you go into the property? Okay, we went with the property for the long term. Okay, So now it's not long term, is it. You know, you're taking a short term view. So if you think about the long term. So let's say that you sell that investing property, you take a bit of a hit on it, and then you're saving yourself a bit of a bit of that negative cash flow. But then in twelve months time or two years time, when the market's gone up again, you're buying in and paying fifty thousand dollars more so, how does that compare to the money you're paying to top that place up? Right now?
Speaker 2: Is it that people just get There'll be people who just I'm just so over absolutely subsidized in this bloody property and it's it's is it going to go up? And they're starting to lose faith in it and they're just knack it emotionally and they're sick of they just run.
Speaker 3: Out, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's a really strong impulse for people, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah? Absolutely? And again it's that all that negativity around you, and then everyone sees it's like the TEXTI driver right. Everyone says, oh, you know, shouldn't be buying property right now? And then you look at you all this money going out of your bank out every month, and you're going, oh, gosh, maybe I should sell. But then again, because I've been doing this for such a long time, I would almost say to spend. Every single person I know that has sold the ever ende property in these situations has later regretted it.
Speaker 3: Well, it is a little bit locking in your locking.
Speaker 2: Your losses as well.
Speaker 3: It is that.
Speaker 2: Always simple, simplistic.
Speaker 4: Now, now all these things are simplistic really, because you're really going to look at your own personal circumstances. Now, if it's a matter of you don't like it's a bit tough, but you don't really like that negative cash every month, that's a bit different from you can't afford you seriously cannot afford that negative casual every month. So they're two slightly different situations, right, because.
Speaker 2: Look, if I was an expert, i'd be sitting where you are probably. But the one thing I get the sense is that if you can, if you can hold onto the property. Now, you should hold property, if you should hold onto it, if you are an investor, if you can, because when it turns around, it'll.
Speaker 3: You'll catch up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right. And look, there's you know, there's always downturns and where you know, we can look in lots of different analysis over the years about share markets and property markets and all sorts of different types of investment markets and you'll find that there's always peaks and drops. But if you hold for that long term, you know, it's very very rare that you won't do well. But the things with property, though, is long term. I perceive I always think it's ten years plus yeah, it's not under ten years. It's over ten years. And I'm always encouraging people that I'm dealing with to be thinking at least ten years.
Speaker 2: Is that Do you think that that's because so many of those headline in the boom sort of time, we're all about, oh.
Speaker 3: Well, the property flippers.
Speaker 2: Of course we never read about the property flippers who bought just before it turned to custard and flipped it for a massive loss. But let's put that to one side. But there's so many stories about, oh, only bought it four years ago. It's we're worth another three hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: It's so unhelpful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and we've all got that. We've all got, you know, buying zero. She is she is at certain price or testa she is at certain.
Speaker 3: Prices down those few years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right. So but if you know, it's all about timing sometimes and sometimes you kind of luck out of wee. And look, I've got a friend of mine's a very been a very successful trader over the long term, but he's had a couple of doozies in the last couple of years. You know, he's got it wrong. So you know, that's the thing with most things in life. And it's not all sunshine and roses.
Speaker 2: No, it's just that people like to talk about the sunshine and roses and they leave out the crappy stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right. So I think a lot of these things come back to looking at your personal circumstances, what are you trying to achieve, and thinking about context and also been read careful about listening sometimes to your friends and family because often they don't know much about anything.
Speaker 2: What are the sort of properties that people right now? I mean you've talked about property investors. If they can they're getting in. Is there a type of property in general that people are going for that is the most appealing sort of investment? And I guess you're going to say it depends what you want. Do you want the yield? Do you want the yield from the investment, or do you want to even though you can't tell the taxman you buy it with the intensive capital gains because technically you have to pay tax on that that they can improve your intention. But let's be honest, most long term people are holding because well, I mean they're looking maybe that they get on top of it and get the yield, but also eventually it's going to be worth a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right. And look, I think again there's pros and cons are different types of property because like there's some advantages to new bills. For instance, you know their exempt from the DTIs, you know, less deposit year, low maintenance, you know, quite good cash flow on them because consistent cashlo because you don't have that maintenance issue. But then you know, and they're quite good for more passive investors. But if you've got the time and I'm talking about some serious amount of time to actually loan to be a property investor, you know, like for instance, training friends of mine might look at fifty houses before they buy buy one, all.
Speaker 3: Right, they just go out and go, right, there's one.
Speaker 4: And they've often spent years learning about that market, right, So there's a lot of time and effort that goes into it. So let's say you buy something and you buy it quite well, and then you've got to go and get a trades team together and renovate it and make sure that you renovate it well so you don't have any issues, but you don't overspend because then you overcapitalize and then with a bit of ac because you've bought well, you've done all that research, you've bought well, you've renovated, well, then you might have an upside with the revaluation.
Speaker 2: So somebody has decided they're going to buy an investment property, Now how I mean, where would their starting point for homework be?
Speaker 3: Do you think?
Speaker 4: I always think for the most part, you're better off trying to find something that's kind of local to you, because it's all very well saying okay, you're an Aukland, you can buy a house is cheaper Dunedin, but you've got to get on a plane and be able to get down to Dunedin and do that research. I mean, yes, you can do a lot of stuff online, but nothing beats on.
Speaker 2: The paper, whether people just look on paper or whether it's best to you know, focus on a market. You one or two markets, you think you'll have a hunch about them, then go do you?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I think it's just you know, these property investment groups out there, there's heaps and heaps of stuff online that you can go and have a look at. It's just doing that research. Joining your local property investors association is fantastic, so you know, there's it's just trying to build up that knowledge like anything new that you're learning, it's just it's building up that skill in education.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. Look, we'll be back in a moment. This is Smart Money with Lisa Dudson. I'm Tim Beveridge. That is just gone nine minutes to sex News Talk to Welcome back to the show. I'm Tim Beveradge. This is Smart Money. We've only got a couple of minutes left, Lisa, And actually it's a shame we went on are while we were chatting just about now. Somebody something in text about is it a good time to buy shares at the moment? Very very open open question. Is it depends what shares?
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: And but we were talking about our chat that I've had with Martin Haores and that it used to be the key we discussion on shares that I should buy X company ABC or this or that, And it seems that most of the people know what they're talking about, saying, look, go with a good fund. They're always going to be hit on you their amount of money they spend on researchers and either that or just go to the races.
Speaker 3: Like that. Isn't it for picking your own stocks? Unless your one on Buffett, Well.
Speaker 4: That's right, and I think, look, I do meet some people that do okay picking their own stops, but that's lack a part time job that they have, right, and so they spend a lot of time on that. But I think for the average investa far better off going to a fund manager. I think one of the barriers is people go, oh, well, I've got to pay for them, but it's like, yeah, you've got to be looking at what do you actually get in return? And you know, we because I have another company called Satin Advice, and you know, we outsource a lot of our research of our funds, and we spent a fortune on that. And they're let alone the money that the company that we get all our research from, how much time benefit that they spend keeping on top of the market. So there's a there's a lot of work that goes into trying to figure out not only when you buy, but when you sell. And like we were talking about before, you know, the price of shares can actually change super quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if if you get caught out then I've been caught out by that before. Just fun story, but won't share that with you. We've only got about thirty seconds together. But I people want to check out your work.
Speaker 4: It's acumen acumen dot co dot insid.
Speaker 2: Acumen dot co dot inziend gosh, time flies.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Lisa, very welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how did you manage to miss getting a town in grease?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: Sorry, I was just killing twenty seconds with an insult you forel bit about just killing hey. Thanks, thanks so much for coming, and thanks my producer, Tyra Roberts. I'll actually I'm away for a couple of weeks, so we'll catch you Weekend up the next and enjoy the rest.
Speaker 3: Of your evening and catch you soon.
Speaker 5: Awesome.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to news Talks it Be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio