Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks and welcome back to the show. This is the Weekend Collective. If you, by the way, from this any of Politics Central you want to catch in the interviews that you heard a little bit and your thought, hang, I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more of that. Go and check out the podcast on the on iHeartRadio. Go to the News Talks website look for the Weekend Collective. Right now, let's get physical. There's a reason we're playing that tune, not only because I mean, who doesn't love you love a little bit of Olivia neutron bomb as we used to call it when I was growing up, because I think it was Xanadu that did my head, and with Olivia Newton John anyway, Greece for others. But anyway, by the way, I did pre sell that it was going to be Alex Flint in the studio, and there actually was a studio, a mistake on our part on the on the scheduling, and because Alex is in Australia and this is just a mark of the man who has come in because he was scheduled for this week. But we told him and he literally he could have just called in and phoned it in, as they say, but he was like, no, no, I'm coming into the studio. He finished wind surfing off the of the Koemarrama Beach because it's a windy darp hair and he's his name is from BioSport dot cod at Enz, Greg Pain. Good day, Greg, how are you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I'm good. I feel better for actually being here and sitting down and making it on time because i'd get I got my grandmother's gina hate being late.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean you would have had an excuse we hadn't told you. But I was thinking of you today because I went for sweam. I'm at Koe Beach because I started when we had a holiday. I used to go for a dip and I managed to keep it up just about every day. And it was windy as all hell, and there was someone hurtling in on one of those kite sort of surfers, and I was looking at him thinking, is he coming in and he's going to turn around where my head is right now, or is he actually coming in to settle? And I was thinking, that's not Greek painter.
Speaker 3: If it was a black and white, if it was a black and white kite. It was me.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't you. That wasn't you, because he got close enough that I would have recognized him nicely.
Speaker 3: Out we have an issue or a lot of beaches have problems with wind surfers, foilers and the lake around swimmers. So I don't tend to come into the beach unless I'm coming in, so.
Speaker 1: Actually would be a problem with the ones who are doing a bit of distant swimming heading out to a boil bag. I have we seen them that.
Speaker 3: Eas I've counted swimmers and you know, one hundred and two hundred meters outside the yellow markers, which for those in Auckland, that's a five not zone, so they're outside of that, not wearing any bright colored caps or anything. I have nearly a swimmer with a white cap on well outside the zone. So you've got to be a bit.
Speaker 1: Careful actually, because you have to sort of break the five knot rule anyway, because otherwise you're not Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, I'm on the foil, so you need to be on the foil to stare properly.
Speaker 1: So how fast you're going on the foil.
Speaker 3: At a bare minimum probably eight knots, but to stay that slow as hard.
Speaker 1: So but I mean you get on the four, you get fifteen twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get straight out to see and you stay out there.
Speaker 1: It makes you realize how incredible those America's Cup and the sale GP YOLTSA aren't they want forty five fifty knots?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, that's one hundred kilometers.
Speaker 1: Now anyway, hey, look, we want to take your cause and we get Look, you're welcome to call up because one of the Gregg's expertise is whose erbra is his masterpiece in sports biomechanists by mechanics is the art of running and preventing injuries and getting into it. And if you've listened to us serve a chat with Greg on the show, you know that his philosophy is that, you know, most people can run. People say I can't run, and then they go in have a session with Greg or they find out actually what they're doing wrong, and they go, I can run. It's actually not as bad as I thought. Now, But before we get into it, I wanted to get into the worst ever exercise trends that have ever existed, which was why we played Let's Get Physical from a Living Newton John. Of course, I think that was around the time of jazzus size. And I wouldn't say that jazzus size was a bad exercise trend. It was just as a fashion trend.
Speaker 3: The leg warmers, oh yeah, the competitive aerobics, the workouts that you would see on TV. Super athletes, Yeah, remarkable people.
Speaker 1: But that's what that was. Really the birth of what we modern aerobics really wasn't doing jazzus sides, except well, maybe a bit more dancing.
Speaker 3: Was that would have come out of the calisthenics history, you know, when they used to do the push ups, the burpees, all that sort of stuff back in the fifties and sixties. I think Calisthenics was, you know what exercise really was for most p people because I was thinking.
Speaker 1: Of the outfits as being something that we could reflect on. But it really it does tie into all those other sort of trends as the worst ever trends we've seen. And there, of course we all remember in the infomercials for the Bullworker. I think we've talked about that a bit on the ab circle pro and there was the one where you pull it apart. It was with lots of bands either one two, three, four or five springs you'd pull that apart, which is probably actually as one single machine. But is there a particular exercise trend that you think was probably the most useless that was actually for a while part of our sort of consciousness.
Speaker 3: I think anything that historically involved vibrating to lose to lose fat fur ten years like, you might need to.
Speaker 1: Narrow that down a bit. Not an exercise front.
Speaker 3: Okay, the belts that you would see around your tummy that would vibrate and supposedly lose out a post tissue, which is the technical turn.
Speaker 1: So you see someone standing on a machine, but there's a big belt around their middle and it's shaking the hell out of them.
Speaker 3: Absolute waste of time.
Speaker 1: I've seen a description of that as basically a machines promising weight lift but lost by shaking your body fat into oblivion. And the spoiler was they did absolutely nothing except to jiggle you around like a human milkshake.
Speaker 3: The only thing you would say is that because you're actually being proactive and doing something, and we do know the placebo effect is typically around about thirty percent. Now, whether that's going to actually help you burn fat, I don't know, but the placebo effect is a big one and pretty much anything and also and you want to get people.
Speaker 1: Started actually with exercise, the placebo effect is always there though, because for sure, for instance, I've been doing a weights raging. I'm back at the gym again, having got a program which doesn't keep me there all day. And I now, if I get out of the shower and I catch myself in the mirror, I'm sure there's a placebo effect that I look at myself and God.
Speaker 3: Going on to beverage. Not that I've seen you coming out of the shower, but.
Speaker 1: Well we're on the second floor. That would us strange, who's that out the window? Clean?
Speaker 3: Placebo effect is huge. I mean, there are so many even in today's health market, whether you're seeing someone like me, you're a physio or an osteo or a cairo, A lot of the stuff is there is a placebo effect there. And I don't mean to offend physios, osteo's or cairos, because I mean we know that even what I do when it comes to analyzing gait or prescribing courstability stuff, the evidence is changing so fast that it's all moving.
Speaker 1: Actually, it's probably a bit harsh to say the placebo effect of feeling good after exercise and doing it, because actually, if you do see any sort of improvement, it's the fact that you are doing something for sure, and you are more willing to think that there are results. But there is a feel good factor of the fact you are exercising. I mean, that's one of the things that keeps you going.
Speaker 3: The feel good factor is not likely to be placebo. It's the effect that the actual physical effect or perceive physical effect that you get out of whatever it is that you're doing.
Speaker 1: I've got somebod who's texted a suggestion on the worst of exercise trend and I think that they are one hundred percent wrong because what she has suggested is an exercise which, in fact I've heard being argued as the best core stability exercise. And so gay thinks that planking is the worst ever trend, and I would say that planking is actually one of the better ones, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Am I allowed to disagree with you on aim? Oh?
Speaker 1: No, okay, yes, it's highly overrated. What's wrong with the plank?
Speaker 3: It's static for a start, and I could demonstrate. I could get down on the floor in the studio and demonstrate a plank and not use my core abs at all. It guarantees nothing, and we don't lie, and we don't have an a stet. We're gonna Are we gonna have an argument?
Speaker 1: No? No, as one of the thing is actually I'm aware of that I do in one of my works workouts, I do three one minute planks. But the thing is, it's a possible I think at a certain point when you shift around that all of a sudden you're not static because it only takes a little bit of especially if it's the end of your workout, you do a bit of breathing, you're shifting around, and all of a sudden you're not stable, and then it becomes and because I mean, I think I've passed you an article with Anne Hathaway her trainer doing and I think her planking.
Speaker 3: Involves toe taps to the hot toe.
Speaker 1: That's not static. Does that make a difference to the plank.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean yes, but we live in a dynamic world, okay. And an old client to mine, she was I think she's just retired, but she's an obstetric guyiny surgeon, and she would always say to me, doing a plank for longer than thirty seconds is a waste of time for a start, because a big part of your core stability and I've just released a free course online for this anyway, we'll plug that later. One of the key so cour stability at a fundamental level is building barometric pressure inside your abdominal cavity. Now, to build barometric pressure, you need to use your pelvic floor. Men and women have a pelvil four.
Speaker 1: Now, how come I get knackered when I'm doing a plank then and there's a bit where it gives out and my muscles, I start to go look at really hard. I mean, I could possibly try and do a bit of broadcasting in a plank position and we can witness when it runs out. I'm very tempted to do that just to embarrass myself.
Speaker 3: But you're still using muscles to hold a position. But at a fundamental level, what you're trying to achieve is the management of pelvic tilt, so how are your palvis rotates in space, but also making sure that you're using the correct muscles at a level it's appropriate for that position. So if you can do a plank, that's awesome, But take that skill set and that strength to a more dynamic, upright vibrant exercise prescription.
Speaker 1: Okay, because I'm happy to bow to your expertise. But it does feel that when I've done my planks that I've had a pretty good abdominable workout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh for sure, because you've got layers of abdominal muscles, so you're using them all probably, But no, no, no, because what I'm trying to say so that sounds or exercise is trying to get at a fundamental level, the lowest, the deepest layer working progress correctly. Can you extrapolate that?
Speaker 1: But it's not the worst, it's not the worst ever exercise trend?
Speaker 3: Then it absolutely not. But again, you can do a plank and not.
Speaker 1: I don't have to run this past our ex fluent because he's got me doing it. Actually, that's just one of them. There's far more painful abdominal exercise. I think I like that one because if I get it right, I can handle it for at least twenty seconds before the pain sets in. Should I try broadcasting while I'm doing a plank? That's the question I should look out after during the break, because in terms of the worst ever exercise trends, I will share some with our audience as well, and you can add your thoughts on it as well. So I don't think I think planking is unfair. You mentioned you thought eight minute abs was a bit rubbishy.
Speaker 3: Well, anything that involves just doing crunches as a tool to try and make your abs look better as a waste of time, because whether you can or cannot see your six is relative to how much fat you have. But as I was sort of sort of suggesting before, your six pack is not at a fundamental level part of your core, So overtraining that is not going to have a positive effect on your posture.
Speaker 1: The one that struck stuck with me was the thigh Master as well. You might remember Suzanne Summer's popularized it.
Speaker 3: I'm quite keen on the prances sise prancercise.
Speaker 1: Who was heard of pranciscise?
Speaker 3: But you was that young lady that went viral a few not a mixture between Basically you're you're holding onto like a broomstick that looks like a horse and you're prancing.
Speaker 1: Oh it's a mixture of power walking and prancing like a horse.
Speaker 3: See I see benefit in that if prancing is basically polymetrics. So if you've got to hold onto a horse to do it, you go for it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it just like skipping?
Speaker 3: But yeah, which is great?
Speaker 1: Would you be better to run or skip?
Speaker 3: You would be you'd want to start skipping before you start running. Skipping is one of the most underrated exercises.
Speaker 1: That is quite a hard self for someone who wants to take up running. I can't imagine myself skipping around Tammocky Drive as a way to get into.
Speaker 3: Did in the privacy of your own backyard, Timothy, But.
Speaker 1: Where are we going skipping? Look, we'd love to take your course if you want to give us a call on this. What is the worst exercise trend that you have followed or actually is? Then the other question is is there no such thing as a bad exercise trend? Because anything that gets you on the wag on the on the conveyable of exercising leads to other things. So, for instance, you might have started off doing something well barefoot running. Now there's one.
Speaker 3: Highly controversial sing Sola Bud.
Speaker 1: I'll remember her getting spiked by Mary Decker or something.
Speaker 3: I'm not too sure. Barefoot running is a very very contentious subject because.
Speaker 1: That came up in a bit of an AI search I did on terrible exercise. I don't mind saying I didn't do a bit of an AI thing. I thought AI tell us the worst of exercise trends. But the vibrating brought machine was the first one that came up with. I've got to say spot on with that one, wasn't it?
Speaker 3: Absolutely well?
Speaker 1: What's the story with barefoot running then, because there will be those who will think because we're not running in a natural environment, they'll be well as cavemen were used to run, of course when we were hunting. But of course we're running on the ground and in the forest and over grasslands which had a natural cushioning to them, I guess for sure.
Speaker 3: So some people's feet are designed to run bear feet and you still see people running and say the Vibrant five fingers, those little sort of sock like shoes that you would see people running around in. And they were actually sued in the US and they lost for claims that wearing the vibrant five fingers would reduce any injuries that you might be having with your running as well proven.
Speaker 1: There wearing the Vibrum five fingers just sounds fairly wrong. Anyway, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are a number of people that can get away with it. All depends on your foot structure. A lot of people can get away with it, a lot of people can injuries.
Speaker 1: What about the toning shoes craze there was in two thousands, there were I think it was browds like sketches they took. They said their wobbly soules would tone your legs and but just by walking. Turns out they were uncomfortable and effective and led to lawsuits for false advertising.
Speaker 3: Well because of the rocket, because they were really curved. They will certainly make your calves work. I can't see how it's going to make your butt work. Will turn your butt just by walking. But also the curvature of the shoe takes away the structure within the arch of the foot. So the rate you're going to be doing damage to.
Speaker 1: Your feet, yeah, well obviously that they come up under the list of dodgy exercising number. Have you ever fallen for a trend when you look back and you go, oh, okay, I got into that for a while, or.
Speaker 3: I think I think the one thing that I if I was to look back over my career and say that now we don't get caught up on anywhere near as much as this whole imbalances stuff. You know, your pelvis is out two degrees here, or you know you're you know, this is slightly different because in the world that we live in, being how I sit and how you sit, and how you drive and how you walk and how you do everything, there's always going to be an imbalance.
Speaker 1: So the natural asymmetry of a human body is not something that necessarily needs diagnosis type of thing.
Speaker 3: If you're in if you're in a sort of sport, So kayaking is a great sport, A great example of this, would I say, because it's just so complex. If you have an imbalanced it's something you want to try and manage because it's such an unstable environment. But if you're looking at running or cycling or swimming, then imbalances are just things that you need to be conscious of and not get progressively worse, but not plus excessive amount of value on because there's no such thing as a perfectly balanced pelvis.
Speaker 1: Well, I was thinking examples would be in the modern sporting world would be tennis players and golfers. Sure anything where you are do they as a result of their sport being asymmetric. Do they actually have to do exercises to try and mitigate getting out of whack?
Speaker 3: Yes they should. Are they an old client to mine? Not old. A recent client of mine was in the New Zealand women's hockey squad. And hockey sticks are always right right handed. There's no such things tended hockey stick.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so because of the fact that all the years that she played hockey and would swing primarily to the right, she had a little bit of a shift in her mid spine, which was due to the fact that there was such a strong bias. So nothing how much of a problem was that, though it would be a problem if it got progressively worse over time, and as she aged and went into his sixties, seventies and eighties, that shift got progressively worse. Certainly something you want to manage. But nowadays the sports scientists and these teams are so good at saying, well, you're right side bias, but when you do your exercise prescription and the loading of the gym, they're very particular about making sure that you're not falling into that bias.
Speaker 1: Okay, look, just to kick off, we're with Greek pain he's from Biasport dot cord a n Zed. Well, he's actually from Greek Pain, but his website is Biasedport dot cord on in zed. But we thought for a bit of fun we might reflect on the worst ever exercise trends that you bought into and come on, you've I don't know anyone who wouldn't have done something, whether it be as a teenager, I had one of I can't mean what it was called that the chest expanded, that's oh yeah, And of course the last thing that did was expand your chest because it was an exercise for your back. What exercise rubbish have you fallen for over the years. But also on the serious side of sport, if you are wanting some advice on getting into a new exercise habit, it may especially be running, which is one of Greg's expertises. If you want some advice on your own movement and you buy mechanics and an issue that you're trying to deal with or you want to get started with something, you want to have a chat with Greg, we'd love to hear from you. On eight hundred eighty ten eighty text on nine two nine two. It's twenty five past four Welcome back to the Health of on Tim Beverage. My guests Greg Pain BioSport dot co dot nz. Actually, Wan I mentioned his website. You do have Greg a free program for people of some sort of tutorial or I can't remember what are the I mean.
Speaker 3: I test athletes of all levels, from absite beginners to olympians, and probably ninety five percent of people fail basic core stability testing protocols like how to actually use her abdominant muscles and pelvic floor and everything correctly. So I've created this completely free cause on my website. Actually, I want to drill into that a bit more because I have a suspicion because I've had I've been to the physia for a couple of injuries, and that seems that the stuff she works on a lot of it's related to sort of corese strength. And I was thinking only because it's also down the road there's a pilates course, and I somehow intuitively I'm thinking to myself, I think that these little niggles I get from time to time are related to one thing, and that's course stability.
Speaker 1: How higher chances that my instincts are right on that the cour stability is in fact, a very common cause of injuries all over the place.
Speaker 3: They're not going to be a common cause, but a lot of factor. Yeah, it is a factor because people don't know how to dynamically stabilize their pelvis. So again, a few years ago, we used to get very particular about how much what we call anterior pelvic tilt. So if you look at someone's sideways, that's how much like their butts sticking out in their lower back is arching. Anterior pelvic tilt was regarded as bad. So courstability kicks in and you use your core abs correctly to flatten your lumber spine and go into more of a posterior pelvic tilt. Now we know from the research and anterior public tilt does not correlate to injury. But if you have a history of, say, knee problems as a runner.
Speaker 1: Is that what people won't call sway back?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sway back. The spine has got three natural curvatures, so vical spine, thoracic spine, lumbers spine, lumberspine being your lubber back. Now, we don't want to see what's called an excessive anterior pelvic tilt where your back is really swayed and your pelvis is heavily tipped forward, because that means that that there is a likelihood you're going to over use the muscles at the front of the pelvis, being your quads and hip flexes, and you're going to under use the muscles at the back, which is your button hamstrings. So cour stability is there to get your pelvis in a better position so you can use all of the muscles around your pelvis harmoniously, because a lot of injuries are caused by overuse. So if you can share the load more, then the likelihood of injury is reduced.
Speaker 1: So that the course you've got there, how would you describe? How do people get into that?
Speaker 3: So on the homepage of my website there is just a link free It's right at the very top, free cour Stability one on one course, and I go through that what is courstability, What does instability look like? The what the how? Exercise prescription, and there's and I'm actually constantly updating it as well, so there's a lot of information there. And as I say that, there's no you don't have to pay anything. That's completely free.
Speaker 1: Okay, We've got quite a few texts I'm going to I'm going to mention, just as we go through the hour, the worst of a sports trends just because it's fun. And one of them is before we get onto some of the text which are more aiming at some solutions for problems. If you will have got the shake weight, the dumb bell that vibrated while you held it in an awkward sort of Ah, yes, I remember that one, in an awkward motion that apparently revolutionary for toning arms. Is there something anything and working with anything that vibrates?
Speaker 3: So there are power plates which have been very, very common, very popular in gyms.
Speaker 1: Well that's when you're doing a squat on it, and you're standing on a plate that's vibrating even perceptively.
Speaker 3: And I haven't I don't want to offend anyone with what I'm about to say, because I haven't really kept up with the research on them. I don't know if they do exactly what people think that they do. People say, well, you're standing on a vibrating platform. Therefore your muscles are activating and deactivating the number of thousand times per second, which is physically impossible. I mean, you are using your muscles when you stand on it. I do know that there has been some success, particularly with astronauts coming back from a gravity free environment. They use it to help build some bone density. Again, I don't use one because I don't know the evidence around it. Yeah, but yeah, I think there is some misunderstandings with respect to their efficacy.
Speaker 1: Okay, by the way, if you want to jump the cure, if one of the people who is texted through and you've got a question you want to run past Greg, then give us a call like eight one hundred and eight, ten and eighty. We've got lots of text to get and we'll get into some of them. One of those. I mean, it's going to be not necessarily within your within your comfort zone of diagnosis or anything, but we might be able to give people a bit of guidance here. One of them just says, I've got knees that click and I constantly saw all the time. More so if I ride a bike all row, I'm one hundred and fifty kilos six foot three carrying extra way to have this sish in my whole life since the teenage, and no injuries to my legs or knees.
Speaker 3: So we live in a world where clicking is regarded as a good thing or a bad thing. Like if you get your spine click, people think that that's making a big difference to their spine, whereas there is a bit of a shift away from that now as far as a manipulation doesn't necessarily make an enormous difference to your spine. Again, it's placebo, and it's a positive click that makes you feel better when you have something like a knee or a shoulder. If you get a clicker a pop, that's quite normal. I mean, my knees sound like sandpaper. It's called crepitus. I have no pain in my knees. I don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Is that bad?
Speaker 1: What is crepitus?
Speaker 3: It's just stuff going on within your knees. I mean, as we get older and because we are active our knees.
Speaker 1: So it's basically if you just sort of bend straighten and bend your knee, you just hear it. There's a little bit of noise sort of going.
Speaker 3: Very crackling, and I get no pain. Now, if you get popping sounds that come with pain, then you certainly want to be managing that, particularly a joint like a shoulder.
Speaker 1: Okay, one of the most common knee issues that people get as they're getting older.
Speaker 3: Well, the most common issues that people have as they get older is muscle wasted and so therefore you get imbalances about a knee. The most common one would be osteoarthritis, which is managed by keeping strength and also using like a bike, sitting on a spin bike and turning your pedals of over quite quickly. One of the most common injuries in the knees like a what's called a ptal a tendonopathy. So you've got the thigh muscle that goes over the kneecap and it attaches to the top of the shinbone, which is but you're it's called your ptell attendon that's very very common. And where people get a Botello tendonopathy wrong is they think that, well, I've got pain in my knee, therefore I need to stop moving, which is the worst mistake you can make. If you have a tendinopathy, which can occur in a number of different parts of the body, you must keep loading it. But within a very specific pain zone.
Speaker 1: Or a rain is that like a pain zone, like you might have a little bit of pain, but there's a certain range of motion as well you want to be looking at.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So with the knee, for example, we use what's called Alfredston protocol. So that's where you're standing on a decline board so it's like a wedge and you slowly go down and it loads the knee up. If you keep the pain levels at around a three or a four out of ten, you're actually stimulating the tens and repairing it. If you're going above that, then you can potentially be doing more damage. Okay, so that's that's where people get tens and up with is wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's an old fashioned here's here's a trend that someone wants to know about. A rebounder is good for anything, yep. And the rebound are those mini tramps? Are they?
Speaker 3: Anything that's jumping is awesome. And also sort of going back to pelvic floor stuff, anything where you're sitting if you have And I'm not a guy and you specialist, so I don't want to be giving out bad advice, but we do know because I've worked a lot with pre impostnatal mums, sitting and even just bouncing on a Swiss ball is really good for activating your power.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, that was one of the trends I was going to ask you about because it's the office trend of people doing work on a Swiss ball, which I find insufferable because it's almost like, look at me, I'm so healthy, I'm exercising.
Speaker 3: You can still slouch on a swissball, That's all I say. And don't get me wrong, there is a good thing with the Swiss bawl and that it is constantly moving, so that movement is good.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got one question here. The Turkish get up I've heard described as the ultimate single exercise. If you could only do one exercise, the Turkish get up's a good one.
Speaker 3: I would say, the ultimate.
Speaker 1: By the way, we have to tell people to Turkish get up as you better explain it.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, the absolute best exercise that anyone should be doing a Western society is a dead lift, but a Turkish get up for a whole body movement and donate. When you're lying on your back, you lie on your back, lie on your back, you put one hour about your got a kettle bell, hold a kettle bell above your head, so it's involving shoulder proper reception, which is really good for shoulder health and then there's a highly choreographed order by which you go from lying on your back with this kettle bell up in the air to full standing and then back down.
Speaker 1: I gathered you have to actually you have a kettlebell next to you and you have to first get it up in the air and then you keep it vertical. Basically, you keep it vertical, you move into position where you are on a right sort of plan, can you gradually get into a standing position. And I just love it because it's called a get up.
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 1: You basically get up, but you've got to do it specifically so you don't screw yourself.
Speaker 3: The reason why it is regarded as such great exercises because it is getting you to move in so many planes of motion, and it's getting all of your joints to work, and it does involve a lot of trunk stability as well.
Speaker 1: I did hear of it. I won't mention who it was because it was sort of secondhand, but quite a famous sports person, physiologist who that's all he does. He's got a thirty two kilo kettlebell, which is impressive because it's hard enough to do. Is Turkish get up with five kilos and he does I think eight each side, and that's his daily exercise.
Speaker 3: Don't just rush out and get a thirty two kg Well, you wouldn't even be able to lift to know if it goes wrong, it's going to go very wrong. But it is a very, very very high quality exercise.
Speaker 1: Well, let's just talk about if you're talking about single exercises, because like you just said before, I have heard that the one of the most underrated exercises is the deadlift, simply picking upper barbell of whatever weight and whatever number of reps. In fact, recently I just watched on Facebook. It popped up in my feed the world record attempt at the world record deadlift and it was an incredible five hundred kilos and the guy, I mean, it was a lot of theatricals. It was like the WWF wrestling and he looked like, you know, there's a recovery. Was just one lift of five hundred kilos. But anyway, tell us about the deadlift.
Speaker 3: Well, the reason why it is such a great exercise is because this sort of follows on from the courstability stuff like once you understand how to use your core aps correctly, then you start you apply that skill to the heavier lifting stuff like your back squats, your deadlift, But the deadlift is so incredibly powerful because, particularly for US Westerners, our sitting. Now. I'm not here to say that sitting is bad for you, because it's not necessarily bad for you, but because we sit, the muscles at our back muscles like a posterior chain, glutes, hamstrings, back muscles, they have a tendency of getting a little bit weak. A deadlift ultimately strengthens an entire chain significantly, and the more weight you can lift, the more you stimulate the tissue growth. And if you extrapolate that through to say, as we get older, risks of falls or upright posture vision, they are all correlated having a strong posterior chain.
Speaker 1: I think because I do that as part of my five or six exercises in my workout, I've got three, I've got a couple where I involved in deadlifts, and I'm pretty sure it feels like with the muscles that are activated that it's the thing that makes me feel the best at the end of it in terms of I feel just more homo sapien. But I mean that sounds silly, but just the act of being upright and walking around you just feel so much more.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what the word is holistic because it's bringing your shoulders into play. But I mean people who say a deadlift is bad for you, You're going to hurt your back.
Speaker 1: You've got to use the right technique correct.
Speaker 3: And you need to make sure you do the correct technique with the loading relative to your history.
Speaker 1: We'd love to have your calls on that. Anything you questions you've got, We've got one caller who will go to in just a moment, but it is nineteen minutes to five news talks. He'bes news Talks with Tim Beverages. Take some calls, by the way, just one quick text, guys. In the nineties, I had a tony little ab isolated with VHS video. So gimmicky, but I lost heaps of weight doing it and changing diet, says Mike, which, of course, greg is an important part of any exercise regimes. Yes, right, let's take some calls. David.
Speaker 2: Hi, Yeah, Hi, Yeah, that's really interesting listening to that stuff. Well, I've been doing some weight training for about thirty five years, and I guess one of Mike writes is that you so many experts who really are experts in the industry who will kind of put you wrong. And I remember, for example, I think Paul Chick. Paul Chick was direction. Yeah he invented the fist ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah I believe so, yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he goes on and on and on about Oh, it's gonna don't we have a white total dominant.
Speaker 3: I mean very This is sort of part of what we were saying before that the trends and the beliefs. And also people don't really understand how to read good evidence, good research papers and stuff as well. So and this is where a lot of people get their back up and prescribe incorrectly or Yeah, it's a it's a very very complex environment to be working in nowadays. That's for sure.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you've got a bit of a background accompaniment. They're they're David who stood getting a good abdominant workout through singing.
Speaker 2: You book, White Little Boys.
Speaker 1: We're a family show, mate, We're a family show It's nice to hear your mate. I appreciate you call, thank you, thank you so much. I loved singing in the background. A little bit of music's always good when you love a bit of music in and out of our breaks as well.
Speaker 4: Carol, Hello, Oh you're slow tim calling up. I been a long term a runner in my youth and in twenty in my twenties, and a sports woman through you know, for the last decade after that. Most recently I've developed an osteo a citis in my hips and it feels like a popping sensation or it becomes very sullen and painful if I if I bear weight or try to run, I can do a little bit of running, but not too much. I'm wondering a few nice really talking about arthritic knee joints. So I wonder if there's high inputs specialty that I could do to you recommend keep training to keep the hip support.
Speaker 3: So without going outside of my scope of practice, which is a doctor's referral for a scan just to see what's actually going on within the joint. The two key things that to make sure that you keep as much strength as you possibly can within the joint and around the joint. So that's where again the core stuff comes into play. But really making sure once there is pain within a joint, it is very easy for some muscles around that joint to switch off or to have become a little bit lazy. So I would make sure that you've got like even when you're walking. As you go for a walk, make sure that your butt muscles or your glutes are engaging when your foot is in contact with the ground. So just little things like that to make sure that you've got good balance around the hip joint. But I do know, I think this is maybe more specific for an osteoarthritic knee, maybe not a hip. I could be wrong. Sitting on a spin bike and turning the pedals over quite lightly, not pushing too hard, has been shown to have a positive effect. So but as soon as it starts to affect your quality of life, that's when you've got to start looking at getting scans and understanding through the right special Yes.
Speaker 1: Thanks for your call, Carol. I do have a question about what about Is there any exercise that can relieve sciatica? I know these are sometimes these medical questions, so we don't want to go down the ovene if you're not comfortable with that, But I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, it's fine.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: Syatica is an irritation traditionally of your cidic nerve that comes out of two discs in your two vertebration to say, it in your lower spine, and it can get on the back of your butt, down the back of your legs. And I had it when I injured my back and it's horrible and it can be very debilitating. The first thing to do is identify where that tightness is coming from. Is it coming from your spine, Is it coming from tight glutes that can also be affecting or compressing and irritating the cidic nerve. There are plenty of what I shouldn't say plenty, but there are things like the slump stretch and other sort of neural flossing stretches, stretches you can do to try and alleviate neural pain. My brother, who's a physio in Melbourne, we were having this discussion when he was over here for Christmas. One thing you can try and do very carefully, and I suggest if you're if you're new to this, don't do it on your own. Get someone to help you. It's sort of slow. What we call a Romanian deadlift, So we discussed the deadlift. That's when you lift the weight up. A Romanian deadlift is when you have the weights already in your upright standing position and you go down.
Speaker 1: And then back up.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, so slow loaded Romanian deadlifts will really slowly stretch the nerve. I'm saying this very so.
Speaker 1: You're you're stopping. Resting position is actually while you are bearing the weight upright correct and then you go down up hold, prepare down up.
Speaker 3: I can't again. That is another tool. And the one thing I want to try and do is make sure if you are stretching the tissue, you're trying to build strengths at the same time as well.
Speaker 1: You'd probably want to learn to do a deadlift with the assistance of a chraining.
Speaker 3: With surely if you have pain.
Speaker 1: By the way, just before we go to the break that Eddie Hall the Beast was twenty sixteen, I think, and I did think at the time that was a bit of theatrics involved. But I've googled what were the consequences to Eddie Hall, and somebody had said it took him from eighteen from memory eighteen months to fully recovery a form of concussion due to the pressure involved in his body. But another Google search is revealed he half bled from his noses and tear ducts. He fainted afterwards, lost lost half of the vision in his center of his eye. This is five hundred kilos. By the way, anyway, there's a whole He fainted immediately after the lift and again after leaving the stage. So I remember thinking it looked a little bit over the top, but apparently he actually well somewhere in the middle will be the truth is to the consequences.
Speaker 3: All I'm going to say is that lifting heavy is highly, highly, highly beneficial to pretty much everyone.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, by the way, you ignore what I'm talking about with Eddie Hall. Five hundred kilos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you don't want to go much above an eight out of ten on the loading scale. You don't want to you don't want to get to complete failure.
Speaker 1: No, exactly nine minutes to five. News talks in b Yes, welcome back. It's just after six minutes to five, and as always we get a we get an avalanche of texts asking a lot of questions. I'm sorry, but when we do have Gregan next time, don't forget to jump on the text or the phone straight away to get you some advice. A few people asking again what was the website with that core strength, and it was BioSport, b io Sport dot co dot nz A right, Gregan, it's all on the home page, look at the bio sport, the online courses and away you go, there's a free course on. Now somebody has actually said can you go back to finish what Greg was going on to explain about the pelvit floor.
Speaker 3: So, pelvic floor is part of pelvic stability course. Stability pelvic floor men and woman is ballum, ballum, out of control, and so you quite often see people who don't know how to use their pelvic floor correctly when they're doing core exercises or even worse like heavy lifting exercises, and you can see a lot of movement fault. So the best way to try and think about activating your pelvic floor is and sitting, because in sitting you are resistant gravity. So it's like you're sitting on the toilet and you're going for a pee and you're trying to stop mid flow. Basically, that's what your pealvit floor does. Now it's a little more important for women childbirth, et cetera, et cetera, But being able to consciously activate your pelvit floor at a desirable level in the sense of if you're doing core exercises and the like. You're not supposed to be engaging everything at one hundred percent, So.
Speaker 1: Can you just do an sitting there and just pretending you're stopping peeing about ten times? I'm doing it right now too, I was actually doing it at the same time.
Speaker 3: You go, no, you couldn't tell it.
Speaker 1: But actually, how many times are people are going to do some pelvic floor exercise? What do you do? Hold it for two or three seconds and release about thirty times?
Speaker 3: There's the traditional Kekels exercises, which sort of again more specific down the feminine side of things. But there is new research coming out regarding the benefits of squatting for pelvic floor strength. It's called the Shilling method.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's something to.
Speaker 3: Look up and concern.
Speaker 1: I think that's next time you come armed with the Shilling method, I will and I'll start doing I'm continuing my palpic floor exercises as we go to the break, hands up? Who is I bet you a few people are still I'm going to praxice that right now.
Speaker 3: Job done.
Speaker 1: Hey, anyway, we'll be back with smart money next talking about the morality of investing. Do morals matter? Will be taking your calls on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty for more from the Weekend Collective. Listen live to news talks It'd be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio